The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fic: The Artifact (AU) (Updated 25/08/05)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:10 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

See now I'm scared :blush did I really say anything?????

xxxx
t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

And sorry were are my manners....welcome back sweetie! Its good to have you here! :kgeek

xxx
t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:16 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

:shock :shock :shock an.. an.. an update?! :shock like.. REALLY?! TODAY!?! OH MY GOD!!! WOW!! OH WOW!!

IVE BEEN WAITING A YEAR FOR THIS MOMENT!!!!!! :pinky OMIGOD I'VE GOTTA CHANGE!!!

*runs around in circles flusteredly(yes that IS a word) before colliding with a wall and falling over in an unconcious heap*

ak! >insert gasp< stick a fork in me; im done! only an update of the highest quality can revive me now........... :sleep

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:17 pm 
8. Vixen

Yaaaay! I was just thinking of the boss as an example. He doesnt have to be in the story any time soon... cuz, come on, we wanna see Willow & Tara and not that poophead :party

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:07 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Dum Dee Dum...drumming my fingers on the desk....no pressure sab.....patiently waiting...dum dee dum

lol

:kgeek

xxx
t

Post subject: Chapter 22
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:14 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi everyone :wave

gabbykat Yeah, you did say anything… No backing out now :kdevil

Belli Bear An update… today… right now… yes… really… no, not kidding… it truly is an update :grin
I’m sorry to keep you waiting for so long. Watch out…! :stink for that wall!
One update coming up, I just hope it is be good enough to revive you.
P.S. I really like your avatar.

Willowrulez After a long wait tomb raiding Willow and Tara are here. I hope you’ll enjoy the chapter.

Thanks to all of you that have been reading and replying. You guys are the greatest :bounce

• Title: The Artifact
• Author: sabina
• Distribution: Anywhere. Just please ask me first.
• Spoilers: No spoilers whatsoever. This is an AU fic.
• Rating: It is going to get to NC-17.
• Pairing: W/T
• Disclaimer: The “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” series and its characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. The “Tomb Raider” videogame is the property of Eidos Interactive and Core Design. This fic is not meant to infringe any copyrights.
• Summary: Willow and Tara are two strong and independent tomb raiders who are both hired to find the same artifact. Trapped inside a temple they realize that not everything is what it seems and they have to work together and fight side by side for their lives as they try to find the way out.

• Note 1: I want to thank my beta reader TKOLove, who has supported this idea and put up with all my questions and doubts since the beginning without ever complaining.
Your work makes this fic a better one, so thank you TKOLove.
• Note 2: I love Tomb Raider and this fic was something that had been in the back of my mind for long. Now I finally decided to write it. I hope you all enjoy reading it.
• Note 3: Thoughts are in italics

[center]Previously[/center]

“That’s quite the story, honey,” she said instead, pleased when the term of endearment melted Willow’s icy demeanor. The redhead relaxed her body to lie on top of the blonde’s, and she nestled her head in the crook of Tara’s neck. Willow yawned sleepily, suddenly tired – both from the passionate lovemaking and from the emotional release of telling her tale.
“You’ll have to tell me the story of your first quest sometime,” she said sleepily.
“I will, sweetie. But not today.” She kissed her girlfriend’s forehead and then settled down to sleep, cuddling her Willow.

“Not today.”

[center]Chapter 22[/center]

Within seconds they were both fast asleep, wrapped in each other’s arms and blissfully free of haunting nightmares.
Hours later, Tara stirred and opened her eyes to find the room bathed in light. Her girlfriend was still resting peacefully, huddled up against her with her warm weight pinning Tara down. As she took in the sight of Willow sleeping soundly, a contented smile curved Tara’s full lips.

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. And last night was amazing. God…I never knew.

Tara spent several minutes just staring at Willow. She was in complete adoration of the way light seemed to caress her girlfriend’s tousled hair and the peaceful expression on her face. She found herself admiring the delicious curve of Willow’s breast and the strong line of her hip and thigh as they possessively clutched her own. And most of all, she marveled that this girl was hers.

The urge to see Willow awake grew too strong for Tara to resist. She leaned her head down and started to lay tiny, sweet kisses along the other girl’s mouth, trying to lift her from unconsciousness as tenderly as she knew how.

As she began to wake to the delicious sensation of her girlfriend’s gentle kisses, Willow sighed happily, and without opening her eyes she parted her mouth the fraction necessary to capture Tara’s lips with her own. After spending a long moment consumed by the leisurely kiss, Willow pulled away and her squinting eyes struggled to open and bring Tara’s face into focus.

“Good morning,” Willow said huskily. She couldn’t help but smile, feeling happy and playful as memories of the night before surfaced; the lovemaking, the talking, the cuddling. She felt lighter than she could remember feeling in a long time. “Mmmm, actually, scratch that. Great morning.”

Tara laughed blithely and hugged Willow tighter against her, pushing their naked bodies even closer together. She craned her neck to whisper her reply directly into her girlfriend’s delicate ear.
“It was a great night. And a great morning. And now...well, now it’s probably more like ‘great afternoon’,” Tara teased throatily before releasing her hold on the redhead and leaning back to watch the blush spread across her fair skin. She wasn’t disappointed as a split second later Willow’s face and neck were flush. The redhead couldn’t help it. The closer embrace caused their skin to rub together and she had been acutely reminded that she was lying naked in her girlfriend’s arms. And when Tara’s huskily whispered words hit her ears, she pointedly remembered exactly what they’d done the night before. Naked. Together.

Oh God...and I was doing so well with the controlling myself thing…

Willow tried to collect herself before whispering her reply. Her eyes began to burn with the deep fire of arousal.
“Vixen.”

Tara could feel Willow’s speeding heartbeat, as well as her own as it rushed to keep pace. Heat began rising from everywhere their bodies touched. She knew they were in trouble.

I can’t believe I want her again so soon. What’s happening to me? It’s only been a few hours since the last time, and we can’t. We really can’t...this time I mean it. It’s late and we need to get going. Yep, we need to move. We definitely need to get some clothes on and move away from the bed. Otherwise...there’s no way we’ll get out of here anytime in the foreseeable future.

“W-we…we r-really should move. I m-mean…to t-take ad-advantage of the light of day,” Tara stammered, flustered and frustrated.
Tara’s stutter snapped Willow out of a sensual haze.

Oxygen to brain, oxygen to brain. Focus. Tara’s right. We’re in a temple and there are booby traps and who knows how many other things trying to kill us. Tomb raiding now, smooching with girlfriend later. Yeah, that’s the plan. The plan sucks, but that’s the plan.

A moment passed and Willow sighed deeply, regretfully acquiescing. “You’re right. We should go if we want to make the best of the daylight we still have.”
“Right. So we should definitely get up,” Tara said, sounding none-too-convinced despite having been the first to say they needed to resume their quest.
“Yeah.”
“So…let’s get up.”
“Yeah.”
“You’re not getting up.”
“Neither are you.”
“I don’t want to be the one to get up first.”
“Well, neither do I.”

“Maybe we should count to three and at three we both get up at the same time,” Tara suggested.
“All right. Sounds like a good idea,” Willow replied with a smile.
They were both enjoying the laziness and playful banter. Every second spent in each other’s arms was a perfect second in their collective book.
“So.”
“So.”
“Okay. One. Two. Two and a half. Two and three quarters. Three!”

Neither of them moved an inch, and they were enveloped by the sound of their own laughter.
“This is silly,” Tara said a moment later as another giggle surfaced.
“Yeah, it really is,” Willow agreed between chuckles. Her look and tone turned serious as she tenderly continued. “But I love the way I can laugh and be silly with you.”

Tara felt herself melt from hearing the heartfelt affirmation, and she was elated to know that Willow felt safe enough with her to let the walls down and let go.
“I love you so much, Willow.”
“I love you too, baby.”
They gazed deeply into each other’s eyes, getting lost in passion-filled pools of blue and green. The mood began to change once again to aroused tension, and the same thought crossed their minds simultaneously.

Uh oh.

“It would be a very good idea for us to get up now,” Tara said, just a little out of breath.
“Yeah, definitely. It definitely would.” Willow answered with difficulty, wondering where her saliva had gone.
They looked away from each other and slowly disentangled themselves. Tara sat up while Willow stood in a rush, intending to find her clothes and get dressed as fast as she could. But as she rose a cloud of dizziness caused her to stumble slightly.

Seeing Willow lose her balance, Tara immediately rose to her knees and grabbed her by the waist to steady her.
“Willow?”
“Whoa. Head rush. Stood up too fast.” Her reply came via an unsteady voice as she held on to Tara’s shoulders with both hands for support.
“Well, you haven’t eaten anything in a long time, and this past day or so hasn’t exactly been restful,” Tara replied as a shiver took over her body. The scare of seeing Willow stagger reminded her of the terror she felt when she’d taken Willow out of the freezing water; the horrifying thought that she’d lost the woman she loved.

Tara calmed down a bit and slowly sat back on her feet without releasing Willow, who was still leaning into the blonde in an attempt to fully regain her balance. For the first time Tara realized what was directly in her line of sight from this position. She blushed bright red and her eyes locked onto her girlfriend’s sex. The sight of soft copper curls so close to her face reminded her that there was at least one more thing that she very much wished to try with Willow.

How do I get myself into these things? Why didn’t I move or get up? I can smell her...she’s delicious, I just know it. I so want to taste her.

Willow had recovered her balance and was about to tell Tara that she could let go of her when she realized that Tara wasn’t looking at her face, but was instead focused a lot lower.

What is she…? Oh. OH! She’s staring at my – Oh My God.

Willow felt her face flush as her heart started thumping inside her chest. Her nipples hardened and her center instantly flooded. Tara’s heated, fiery gaze felt like an intimate caress, like tiny fingers stroking her everywhere.

Mmm, she’s so close. Is she leaning closer? Oh God, I bet she can smell me...and, and I haven’t taken a bath in ages. But that doesn’t seem to be bothering her. Well, we’re both bath-deprived...maybe our noses have adapted. Still, I’d so prefer to try that for the first time after a good long bath...like the one we took in the river. I want to taste her...not crypt dust.

“Tara?” Willow asked shakily, her voice a little more high pitched than normal.
Tara was shaken from her reverie and looked up a little sheepishly, feeling embarrassed at being caught. Their relationship was still so new, and she wasn’t sure what was allowed and what wasn’t.
“Yeah?”

“I’m…uh, feeling a lot more balanced now. Yep, completely balanced. Not an unbalanced bone in my body. And I thought we should, you know, get going. To make the best of whatever daylight’s left and all that.” She was flustered and covering it badly.
“Right. Right.” Tara let go of Willow’s waist and quickly got up.

Best that I keep myself away from temptation.

“I was thinking of taking a washcloth with me to freshen up a little in the tunnel of water…” Seeing Tara’s expression of alarm, she spoke fast to better explain her idea. ”...I mean, you know, just safely park my rear end at the opening stone so I can wash away some of the dust. Oh, and maybe wash some clothes too, since we never know when we’ll find water again. I’m not going to get into the water or anything, baby, because it’s...brrrr...remember?”

As was often the case when she heard Willow speak, Tara felt a lopsided smile form on her lips. Her girlfriend was just too cute for words sometimes.
“’Remember’? Are you kidding me?” she teased the redhead for her adorable phrasing, but a twinge in her heart told her she’d never forget the struggle Willow had in the tunnel’s freezing water. “Seriously, that sounds like a good idea. You go ahead and I’ll start packing our things.” Tara nodded her head in agreement before continuing. “I think I’ll take advantage of the water, too, and freshen up after you’re done.”

Unless you want me to join you. To wash your back. And your front. Bad Tara. Bad, bad Tara.

For a second Willow looked disappointed by the idea of them taking turns washing themselves instead of being together, but her expression quickly changed to one of relief.

Make up your mind already, Rosenberg. One minute you want to get going, the next you want to get all hot and sweaty with Tara. It’s a good thing she’s thinking with her head. She only looks in my direction and my brain suddenly lacks the blood flow necessary for coherent thought. I’m pretty sure if we bathe together we won’t be getting out of this room today. There will be many opportunities for naked time after we get out of here. Okay, get going. Just don’t look anywhere below her neck. And don’t stare directly into those eyes...those gorgeous eyes. I’m so far gone. Where’s that ice water?

“Ok, then,” Willow said. She turned around and made her way to her backpack and picked up the previous night’s clothes that still lay scattered on the floor. As she walked she felt a slight sting between her legs; muscles she hadn’t even known existed were making their presence felt.

Ok, there’s a definite soreness there but it’s not completely unpleasant, and I don’t think it’s going to stop me from doing anything...other than maybe riding a horse or bicycle. I rarely ride bicycles in tombs and riding a horse would be a big no-no anyway, so I’m guessing I’ll be just fine.

She picked up her clothes, holsters, and guns and felt for the pyramid in the pocket of her shorts. She carefully opened the zipper, pulled the pyramid out, and laid it next to her backpack along with her holsters and guns. She picked up a fresh set of clothes and a towel, and with all of that in one arm and the previous day’s clothes in the other, she made her way to the entrance of the corridor where their makeshift alarm was still firmly in place.

Tara watched Willow turn to walk away with a wishful look on her face. She drank in the way her girlfriend’s muscles rippled with each of her sure steps, and she felt her heart begin to quicken its pace. She closed her eyes and shook her head a little.

Damn. I have to control myself. I’m not some wet-behind-the-ears wannabe raider. I’m a professional and I need to start behaving like one!

And with that thought, the blonde turned away and began to gather her clothes into a pile. She turned to their “bed” and picked up the old sheet that protected the sleeping bag. She folded it quickly and threw it in the direction of her dirty clothes to be washed. All this was done with no more than a glance at the sheet. She knew if she looked at it too long her mind would once again flood with images from the night before, which would of course lead to broken concentration and images of a certain redhead who was just about to start taking her bath. Alone.

Willow reached the suspended hammock and smiled fondly. She carefully removed each object from the netting and placed them all on the floor. Next, she pulled the anchors out of one side of the wall, leaving the other side of the hammock suspended from the far wall, thus creating enough free space for her to pass. She made her way to the particular stone that opened the tunnel and sat down, watching as once again the covering stone slid away and water appeared. She extended her right hand and touched the water, finding it just as chilly as it was when she last swam in it.

Well, shoot. I was hoping it was warmer now somehow. Good thing I retrieved the pyramid when I had the chance. Can’t imagine how awful it would have been if I’d decided to test the passage back first instead. Brrr. I guess there aren’t many second chances in this temple – you get it the first time or you don’t get it. No use thinking about it now. I need to wash the clothes and then myself. I’m thinking really fast bath. No fun turning into a Willowcicle.

In the meantime, Tara had already folded one of the sleeping bags and put it in the redhead’s backpack. She was now rubbing her hand over the other sleeping bag – the one she had used to warm Willow -- in order to determine whether it was dry enough to be stored. Finding it fairly dry, she folded it and stuffed it inside her backpack, then looked around to see if there was anything else she could do. Anything at all. Anything to avoid thinking about a certain redhead bathing. Dripping. Wet. Alone. She saw Willow’s pile of clothes, both pairs of boots, and the hammock half-suspended from the wall.

I could fold the netting and put away the anchors. Maybe by then Willow will be done and I can go dunk my head, along with various other body parts, in the nice cold water.

Tara picked up the clothes – both used and fresh – and walked to the hammock, careful not to look in the direction of the splashing sounds she heard her girlfriend generate.

Willow had already washed her clothes and squeezed as much water from them as she could, and was now using the washcloth to quickly rinse away as much grime from her body as possible. Her hands were starting to go numb and goose bumps erupted all over her body. After a short moment she began to shiver violently, leading to the immediate decision that her body was as clean as it was going to get.

Oh, goody, now for the fun part. Dunk my head in the water, lather up, dunk again. No way I’m following the third step in the “lather, rinse, repeat” philosophy of hair care today, no sir. Then again, that would be a teeny sacrifice if it meant that afterward I could feel Tara’s fingers running through my hair, my clean, dust-free hair. I just love her long fingers.

Smiling at that thought, the redhead closed her eyes and swiftly, like a one-two punch, immersed her head in the water and pulled back out. She hastily lathered her locks with soap, and with a deep breath and a gathering of courage, dunked her head into the freezing water once again. She picked up her small towel and fiercely rubbed it over her body, drying off…and trying to stimulate blood flow. She dressed in the fresh set of clothes – her usual white sports underwear, followed by a deep green top that made her emerald eyes stand out. The ensemble was completed by a pair of simple black shorts. Feeling every bit the tomb raider and ready to return to the quest, Willow called out to her girlfriend, careful not to look in the direction of the still very naked Tara.

Cold water’s effect can only last so long…and there’s just no way it could ever compete with the hotness of Tara.

“Tara, I’m done.”
The blonde sighed in relief, having just finished folding the netting and storing it in her backpack, along with her keys and lock pick.

Right on time, honey. I was running out of things to do.

Tara figured Willow had ample time to get dressed, so she gave herself permission to look in her direction while responding. Before any words left her mouth, she allowed herself a couple of seconds to take in her girlfriend’s appearance. A tender smile formed as her eyes fell to Willow’s bare feet. They were endearingly vulnerable and in direct contrast with the tough tomb raider aura that Tara felt radiating from Willow. It was a look that combined Willow’s powerful, commanding side with one that was far less guarded. And Tara loved them both.

She continued her slow appraisal, and her smile morphed into a playful half-grin when she noticed that Willow had her head turned the other way.

Good to know I’m not the only one struggling to control herself.

“Ok. I guess it’s my turn now,” the blonde called out.

She picked up her clothes and towel and made her way to the secret pool of water just as Willow left it. Neither woman lifted her gaze from the floor. The blonde chuckled softly, finding it funny – the way they were both driven to distraction by the sight of each other’s body. It seemed they had reached a tacit agreement; if they held any hope of making progress on this quest, they would have to avert their eyes this way. At least until they were both dressed.

Willow reached the corridor and lifted her keys, watch, and lock pick from the floor. She made her way to her backpack, put all the items in their correct pockets, and dug out a fresh pair of socks and a couple of rubber bands to tie back her wet hair. She created a secure ponytail, then took time to don the socks before adding her boots. She carefully tied the laces in a double knot, and gathered her wet clothes to hang them from her backpack to dry.

She grabbed her belt and holsters and adjusted them to fit snugly on her waist, just the way she liked them. She revisited her guns – each still encased in hermetic plastic bags – and decided to make sure her ammunition was in good condition, with everything still operable. Anything to keep her from thinking about Tara bathing.

Tara reached the trigger stone and took a deep breath. The memories that rushed to her as she moved to touch it were far from comforting. She shook her head, willing the images to fade, and pressed the stone, watching as the passage opened. The blonde raider cleaned herself and her clothes much in the same fashion as Willow had, as quickly and efficiently as possible without permanently losing sensation in her extremities.

After drying off as best she could, she reached for a clean set of underwear – a grey sports bra and matching panties – and swiftly slid them onto her shivering body. Seconds later she was dressed in a dark blue t-shirt and grey shorts that fit snugly against her body but allowed her to move freely and offered at least some measure of protection from the elements. Finally, she grabbed a rubber band from the pocket of her shorts and gathered her wet hair securely in a ponytail. She felt every inch the tomb raider she was at the beginning of this quest. Only now she didn’t feel alone.
Tara smiled happily and made her way to Willow, who was busy checking and apparently re-checking her guns.

“All done,” the blonde said, causing her companion to look up.
“Yeah? Me too. Well, obviously, since I took my bath first. But um, I’ve checked my guns…uh, twice, and I’m ready to go.”
“I still have to put my boots on and hang my clothes to dry. Then it’s time to eat. And before you ask...yes, Dear, protein balls are once again on the menu.”

The redhead grinned. True, like the protein balls themselves, the jokes about them weren’t exactly fresh, but their banter never failed to put a smile on her lips. That smile grew as her brain wrapped around the term of endearment. She called me “Dear.”
“You go put your boots on, I’ll hang your clothes, and we can eat together. Just once, can’t we have pancakes?” Willow pouted.

Tara chuckled and turned to get her boots while Willow hung the clothes and the small sheet from her backpack. They finished their respective tasks almost at the same time and sat down against the wall, side by side, shoulders and knees pressed against each other. They each retrieved a protein ball and some water from their respective backpacks.

As they ate, Willow’s hand found Tara’s and held strong. They looked at each other and smiled, happily sharing the comfortable, loving silence. No words were needed.
They ate slowly, letting their strength replenish, enjoying the calm before the inevitable storm. With breakfast finished, they regretfully let go of each other’s hand, stowed their remaining water, and stood.

“Well I guess it’s time to get a move on,” Willow said with a hint of sadness as she looked around one last time.
“Yeah,” Tara replied quietly.
“You know, this is going to sound a little insane since I know we’d eventually die of hunger if we stayed here, but I’m actually sorry we have to leave.”

The blonde shook her head. “It doesn’t sound insane. I feel the same way. I think it’s normal. We had some tough moments but we…uh…” she blushed, “...we also made love for the first time here.” And the second…and almost the third. “And for that, this room will always have a special place in my heart.”

“Yes, that’s it exactly. And what makes it sad is that we’ll never come back here. You know? It’s not like we can come back on our anniversary and say, ‘Hey, this was the place…our place,’ and maybe re-enact the whole thing. Okay, not the whole thing. I could do without the almost freezing to death.”
Tara felt her heart flutter joyously as it always did when Willow talked of their future together, but closely following that sensation was a shiver traversing her spine from yet another reminder of how close Willow had been to dying.

I’ll never forget this place, even if we can never come back. Too many intense memories. Good and bad.

“That’s true. But we still have lots of firsts to have; first date, first sunset together, first breakfast in bed together, and oooh! First time together in a real bed.” Tara winked at the suddenly flustered redhead.
“Yeah. Lots and lots of firsts.” Willow’s voice cracked a little as her mind filled with images of them together.
“And seconds. And thirds. And countless more.” Tara continued huskily, unable to resist teasing her girlfriend.

I know I promised no more teasing, but we’re dressed now, so we should be safe. I think.

Willow had to swallow hard, her mouth again parched. Her body’s temperature rose wildly under Tara’s smoky gaze.

Damn! I wonder if Tara would find it odd if I politely excused myself in order to plunge into the nice freezing water. Fully dressed, of course, so the effect would last longer.

“Again I gotta say, ‘Vixen’,” Willow choked, making the blonde chuckle.
“Yeah…but I’m your vixen, honey.” The words were accompanied by her ‘oughta-be-trademarked-bottled-and-sold-in-finer-retail-outlets’ lopsided smile. Every trace of teasing had vanished from her voice.
Willow simply smiled back and took a deep breath, trying to reign in her raging hormones. Feeling calmer and ready to go, she said as much to her girlfriend.

“Right,” Tara answered seriously.

They picked up their backpacks and secured them to their bodies. Willow knelt down and grasped the small pyramid, displaying it on the flat of her palm for her girlfriend to see. Tara nodded and spoke quietly.
“Let’s see what it can do.”

Willow stepped up to the door and drew one of her guns with her left hand while she slid the pyramid into the indentation on the door with her right. A clicking sound echoed when it fell into place, and the door began to open. Willow took a step back and drew her other gun, and Tara shifted her weight, steadying herself for whatever might be waiting behind the door.

As the door opened fully they could see that it guarded a small square room with bare walls and a circular hole in the center of the floor. A few steps leading down were visible around the inside of the opening. Not seeing or sensing an immediate threat, both raiders relaxed a bit. Willow tucked a gun back in its home in her left holster.

“Looks safe for now. No rolling stones or maniacal statues attacking us. That’s always a plus. Unless, of course, there’s something nastier waiting for us,” Willow said with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.
“New room, new puzzle,” Tara replied, focused on the circular mystery in the room ahead.
They looked back one last time before walking forward side by side. The door closed behind them with a whisper.

The gun in Willow’s right hand stayed firmly pointed at the hole in the floor as they cautiously walked on. Both women looked the room over from top to bottom, trying to assess the kind of danger they might face in this new chamber. The walls, as far as they could see, were just like most walls they’d seen in the temple; made of unremarkable stones, each looking very much like every other one, void of distinctive features. So it was no surprise that they found themselves focusing all their attention on the hole in the floor. What did surprise them was that the stairway spiraling down the opening only included five steps, leaving them no way to get to the bottom, and it appeared to be quite a deadly drop if they took a leap.

“I’d say the only way to go forward is through the hole, but we should check the walls thoroughly first,” Tara stated, breaking the silence. She looked at Willow, smiled and shrugged her shoulders. “Maybe we’ll find a way to make the staircase grow somehow.”
“Yeah. Five steps aren’t going to get us far. I’ll start on the right...”

“...And I’ve got the left,” Tara finished.

It only took them a few minutes to search their designated walls and meet at the middle.
“There’s nothing on the left side.”
“Not a thing to the right. Except plenty of familiar, secret-free stones.”
“So, on to the steps.”
“You got it.”

They walked carefully to a side of the gap and looked down. They could see about twenty meters down before their eyes settled on darkness. It appeared that the hole was built with flush bricks and stones, nothing to offer support as they made a descent. They looked at each other, searching each other’s eyes for ideas.

“Ok, looking down isn’t exactly helping...and I’m so not a fan of the unknown. Well, to explore is to find the unknown, and that’s cool and all, but a darker-than-dark hole in the middle of a booby-trapped tomb...that’s a whole other matter.” Her mind was multitasking. “Oh, I have an idea. I have flares. I could throw one down and we’ll be able to see how far down “down” is. Maybe we’ll even find more of these stairs,” Willow said.
“Good idea. You know, I brought flares too. From the look of the opening, it’s pretty obvious we’re not going to have a lot of natural light in there. Well, the bright side – no pun intended – is that at least it won’t bother us when night falls.”

Willow smiled and reached back to pull a flare from a compartment in her pack. When ignited, it cast a warm, reddish light around them.
“Here goes nothing,” she said before dropping it in the hole.
Both girls moved forward to follow the falling light with their eyes, trying to catch a glimpse of anything out of the ordinary, any clue to tell them what to do next. But they saw nothing in the few seconds it took for the flare to fall all the way down. It met the ground violently, bounced to a stop, and remained there burning undisturbed.

Afraid to miss a detail, they stood in silence and held their breath, waiting for something to happen in response to the flare. When nothing did, they sighed, half in relief and half in disappointment.

“Well, there aren’t any other stairs, and I’d guess it’s around fifty meters to the ground, so jumping – at least without a quick-opening parachute and air brakes – probably isn’t the best idea. But at least there doesn’t seem to be any immediate threat down there. When we eventually get to the ground we should be safe,” Tara said calmly.
Willow nodded and then added, “I don’t know if we’re safe from all threats, but at least the ones that are attracted to shiny bright things. Guess that means we can forget about the dumb skeletons.”
Tara chuckled. “And mosquitoes.”
“Well, just to be on the safe side I have bug repellent in my bag. You never know when you’ll need it.” Willow winked.

Tara smiled for a second before becoming serious again. “I guess we’re out of options. We’ll have to try the stairs.”
Willow nodded and walked forward to begin her descent. As soon as she put her weight on the first step, the whole group of stairs began to spiral down, following the contour of the wall. Caught off balance by the unexpected movement, she had no choice but to jump backwards awkwardly. As her feet touched the ground, the extra momentum made it impossible for her to keep her balance. She fell ungracefully to the safely of the room’s floor, coming in for an unceremonious landing on her butt.

Tara had been about to step onto the stairs herself. She was caught by surprise and had only enough time to jump back to avoid a collision with Willow. The sudden release of adrenalin made her heart hammer in her chest.

“Um, honey, a little notice would have been nice,” Tara teased the redhead on the floor.
“Tell that to the stairs. They could’ve at least made a warning sound or something instead of just sliding from under my feet. How rude.” Willow pointed to the stairs indignantly, then got up and winced as she rubbed her ass. Tara could hear her mumbling quickly under her breath as she moved toward her. “Stupid things with their Magic Carpet complex. ‘Look at us, we’re steps that fly. Have a nice fall!’ Stupid, stupid things.”

Tara tried as hard as she could to stifle a smile, knowing she’d fail. She reached to rub her girlfriend’s tender butt and couldn’t resist teasing her.
“Poor sweetie. Want me to kiss it and make it better?”
Willow looked at Tara, startled by her girlfriend’s touch and husky words. Her gaze was met with twinkling blue eyes.
“You’re teasing me,” she complained half jokingly.
Tara moved in to give her girlfriend a lingering kiss on the lips. “It’s not my fault you’re absolutely adorable when you’re flustered.”
“Baby, if you keep this up, I can’t be held responsible for my actions.” In her heart of hearts, Willow hoped her warning would go unheeded.

Tara saw Willow’s pupils dilate and her body began to respond to the look of pure hunger on the redhead’s face. She let out a nervous cough and turned to glance at the stairs, which had stopped when Willow fell and were now poised just a bit further down the opening. They looked just as harmless as they had before.

“Well, at least now we know what we have to do,” Tara replied in attempt to get her focus back on raiding something other than Willow’s body.
Willow breathed deeply, straightened herself, and replied in a light tone. “Yeah, and hey! We don’t even have to do the hard work. We just step on and enjoy the ride. It’s somewhere between an extreme roller coaster ride and a trip on a malfunctioning escalator.”

Tara laughed quietly for a moment before adopting a more somber manner. “So let’s do this.”
Willow nodded. They walked around the opening and positioned themselves next to the stairs.

“I say we count to three and jump down so we touch the steps at the same time.”

“Ok. We have to be careful, because as soon as we touch them, swoosh, there they’ll go,” Willow warned.

“I promise I’ll keep my balance,” Tara smiled reassuringly. An equally calming smile graced Willow’s lips.

“All right, then. Ready?”

At her girlfriend’s nod Willow took a deep breath and began counting.
“One…two…”
“Wait!”
“Ack! What? Don’t do that!”
“Sorry, honey, but are we jumping on three or waiting a beat after three, then jumping?”
Willow had to laugh. “Oh, guess it’d be good to have that clear, wouldn’t it? We’ll go on three. Ready?”
Tara nodded.
“One...two...three!”

At three they jumped in unison. Willow landed on the fourth step as Tara touched down on the second. Just like before, as soon as they were touched, the stairs began their corkscrew motion along the inside of the wall.

For a brief moment Tara had, at best, a tenuous foothold. In a flash, her sense of balance – honed by years of climbing – asserted itself, and she narrowly avoided plummeting to the ground. Willow had less trouble, since she already knew what to expect. She turned back to her girlfriend just in time to see her steady herself.

“Tara, baby, are you ok?”
“Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t wor –. Willow, what’s that?” She interrupted herself and pointed to the wall below and ahead of them.
“What?” The question had barely left her mouth before the answer was profoundly clear.

A long blade protruded from the wall in the direct path of the moving stairs. They watched in disbelief as it began to move back and forth, slicing through the air.
“Uh oh. So much for my theory that we won’t have to do a lot here. I so have to start keeping my mouth shut,” Willow complained.
“This was starting to get boring anyway,” Tara joked before continuing. “Come up here next to me. We’ll wait until we’re almost in its reach and then jump when it starts swinging forward.”
“You won’t hear me complaining about ‘boring’ anytime soon,” she replied while climbing the couple of steps that separated her from Tara. Sharing the same step, they turned to face the blade.

The stairs were just wide enough for them to stand side-to-side, shoulders and hips touching. The blade moved ever closer. Willow reached for Tara’s hand and gave it a slight squeeze. They exchanged a look of reassurance, and Willow let go of Tara’s hand as they again focused on the approaching trap. Their muscles tensed and released with the sound of the blade slashing through the thick air. When the flailing metal was perilously close, they shifted and waited for just the right moment, allowing the blade to begin its movement forward. In a flurry of arms and legs, the women jumped over it.

Their collision wasn’t anybody’s fault, really, more a consequence of the lack of space available. They bumped each other upon landing, which sent Tara off to hit the wall hard while Willow landed precariously, with only one foot on a step, the other dangling dangerously over the void below.

Willow was on the verge of losing her fight for balance when Tara’s arms shot out and grabbed her by the waist, pulling her to the relative safety of the moving steps. They continued to fall backwards, sitting down heavily, and stayed that way; hearts beating a mile a minute. Tara held Willow close to her, and they watched in silence as the menacing blade retreated into the wall.

“Well, that could have gone better,” Willow said, still struggling to catch her breath.
“I’m thinking we need to work on our flight patterns,” Tara retorted.

They shared a warm look and laugh, a release of nervous energy to be sure. Tara climbed a couple of steps to stay behind Willow and they both turned their attention to the path the steps had yet to navigate. A couple of revolutions later, another object jutted out of the wall.
“Here we go,” Tara muttered under her breath.
“Yep, round two.”

Two vertical rows of flame throwers – separated by about half a meter – stuck out from the wall and began spewing fire. First, the front row discharged. When it stopped, the second row commenced and continued to shoot flames until the front row fired up again. Only then did the second group die down. Then it started all over again.

Willow and Tara watched the blazing rows soar up and die down a few times, studying the pattern as the stairs approached the trap. Willow turned to Tara.
“Well, we’re going to have to wait until the first row stops burping nasties at us, then move forward and stay in the space between the rows until the second one finishes. Then we should be able to go forward again.”

Tara nodded. “Yeah, kinda like I did in the room where we found the piece of the star.”
“Absolutely. Only this time, the ground is, or rather the steps are, moving. We’ll have to keep moving backwards in order to stay in the same place. Hmm, that means we’ll have to choose very well...you know, when to move forward. We don’t want to find ourselves out of steps to climb.”

“I’ll have to agree with you there, honey.” Tara contemplated something in silence before speaking again. “I think we should both be on the last step and climb back from there. As soon as it’s clear, we move forward and pass the first row of flame throwers. That should leave us with the maximum steps to climb up while we wait for the second row to shut off.”
“Sounds like a plan to me.”

They climbed down to the last step and waited, standing shoulder-to-shoulder. As they approached the flames, Tara’s hand reached for her girlfriend’s, making Willow feel warm inside. Meanwhile, the ambient heat was getting intense. When they reached the fire, the first row was still erupting, so they climbed backwards...up one step, then another and another, until the flames ceased. When the first row of flames died out they resumed their position on the last step. Just as they were about to reach the second wall of flames, they heard the first one gearing up to fire off again.
Tara could feel their palms slide against each other. Whether it was a byproduct of the heat or nervousness she couldn’t tell.

What do we have to be nervous about? We’re between two walls of fire, the stairs are moving out from beneath our feet, and below us a thirty meter fall awaits. No sweat.

They were forced to repeat the Fire Avoidance Dance so many times that Willow could feel her heart slamming against her ribcage.

Come on, come on. Why aren’t you shutting down, stupid thing? Time to shut down, self-destruct, go to sleep or...something. Anything. Running out of stairs and stamina here.

They climbed back to the top step and were contemplating their ever-shrinking options – like taking another step backward in hopes of grabbing the steps with their hands while their feet dangled helplessly, all the while praying their fingers wouldn’t be too badly burned from the almost certainly futile maneuver – when the flame throwers in front of them abruptly stopped working.

Not wasting any time they climbed down the steps to move out of reach of the flame throwers. As they stood on the last step, each women looked the other over, making sure they’d gotten through the experience unscathed. Both were reassured when they met each other’s smiling eyes.
“Ok, so now I know what a steak feels like, or what it would feel like if it could dodge flames and hop off the grill. That is, if it could feel anything, because obviously, the lack of a nervous system kind of prevents the...that.” Willow’s scattered babble ended as her voice was choked off by her embarrassment.
Tara smiled at her girlfriend. “It’s okay, sweetie,” she said compassionately, “that was a little too close for my taste, too.” She gave Willow’s hand a slight squeeze and let go.

Restlessness set in as they stood on the steps for another two rotations without anything out of the ordinary happening. They focused their attention on the wall again, hoping to be prepared for the next trap, but it was in vain. A stone block – half as long as the perimeter of the hole, as wide as the steps, and about two meters high – emerged just as they were passing it, pushing the raiders from the stairs. Instinct lead Tara’s right hand to find Willow’s left as they fell, and their free hands grabbed desperately for the edge of the block. They stayed that way for a moment; hanging, clutching each other’s hand, breathing shallowly, calculating their next move.

Through tacit understanding, they let go of their clasped hands and hoisted themselves up, finding brief respite while seated side-by-side on the stone. They again held hands and took a look around.
Below them, about half way down the hole, something akin to a crude sidewalk had been formed by a ring of stone that slid out from the wall. It ran along half the perimeter of the hole, and at its end was attached a metal ladder leading further down.

“Well, that’s different.” Tara stated.
“Yeah, I guess no more moving stairs for us.” Willow stopped for a second before adding, “I think we should get going, though. This sliding thing is making me kind of nervous. What slides out might just as easily slide back in, and it’s still a long way down...”
“Good point. Let’s go.”
Willow got up quickly and Tara followed. Moving carefully, they traversed the walkway and reached the ladder. Willow again took the lead and began descending, with Tara close behind.

“Why do you always go first?” the blonde questioned.
“’Cause I have the guns, I guess. You know, extra protection as we enter a new place. Actually, it’s because I appreciate the view,” Willow said playfully while looking up and making a show of ogling her girlfriend’s firm butt. It made Tara squirm and heat rise through her neck and face.
“Payback’s a bitch, honey. Just wait until we’re going up,” Tara answered with mock innocence.
Willow swallowed hard and kept on moving.

Half way down, the stone bricks gave way to hard black dirt and the humidity began rising.
“Um, Willow, sweetie? Maybe we’ll have a use for that bug spray of yours after all.”
“I knew you’d see the wisdom of my ways. One can never go wrong with pest repellant,” she replied jokingly before turning serious. “But I’m not sure it’s bugs we’re likely to deal with here. This place has worms and snakes written all over it.”
“No sense worrying about it now, we’re almost down. Besides, if we find any big snakes I’ll protect you,” Tara said playfully. But the look in her eyes betrayed the lightness of her tone. She would always protect this woman.

Willow stopped her descent and concentrated on her girlfriend, needing to respond sincerely.
“You really are my heroine.”
Volumes were spoken without another word being said, and the women resumed the journey down. A moment later they’d finished descending the length of the twenty-meter ladder and were standing next to the burning flare. In front of them was a single corridor, its end devoured by darkness.

A quick look told them that the corridor was made of the same hard black dirt that the final part of the hole had been.
“At least it’s a change from the bricks,” Tara muttered.
“Excellent! No brick searching this time.” Willow drew her right gun and reached into her backpack for another flare. Seeing the arched eyebrow and questioning look being cast in her direction, Willow began explaining her actions in a rush.

“I thought we could leave the first one burning here at the base of the hole, kind of like a signal light. You know, just in case we need to run back here really fast, the ladder would be easier to spot. But maybe that’s silly. In fact...”
“No. That’s actually a really good idea,” Tara interrupted, then smiled and went on. “But I’d like to cast my official vote that nothing sends us running back here really fast.”
“I’m with you there. And for goodness’ sake, don’t leave any hanging chads. No good ever comes of that.”
“You got it.” Tara giggled. “For now, how about we just walk forward?”

Willow nodded in agreement and they took off, with Willow in the front with the flare in her left hand and her gun firmly clutched in her right. Tara stayed a couple of steps back and to Willow’s less-protected, left side, ready to react the moment she sensed a threat.

The corridor wasn’t long. In short order they reached its end and were left standing in the middle of a new passageway, perpendicular to the first one.
“Do we go left or right?” Tara asked, not even considering the idea of each woman taking a different direction.

There’s no way I’m letting her out of my sight so soon.

Willow sighed quietly, relieved that Tara hadn’t suggested they separate in order to speed up the search.

I feel so much better having Tara with me. And I...I don’t feel any less of a tomb raider for it.

“Let’s go left. Doesn’t matter how we start, we’ll probably end up searching both sides anyway.” Tara nodded and they turned left.
They walked about twenty paces without seeing anything even remotely remarkable, but the corridor hooked to the right and they saw that just a few feet ahead was a closed metal door on the right wall.

“Ladies and gentlemen, the first piece of the puzzle,” Tara mumbled.
“Yeah. Now let’s just hope it’s like one of those good jigsaw ones where all the colors and shapes match the drawing on the box. Although it’s not as if someone gave us the box to guide us, so it really doesn’t matter.”

Tara marveled at the way Willow’s mind worked. As her only response, she smiled.
They walked to the door to examine it, looking for an obvious way to open it, or even a lock that would give them some idea of what the key would look like. They searched the door and surrounding wall but found nothing. It was a plain, smooth metal door surrounded with earth so hard that there was no way to dig around it. At least not with the tools they had.

“There must be a lever somewhere,” Tara said after they searched the door thoroughly.
“Right. So now we just have to find it.”
“Let’s go.”
They stepped away from the door and resumed walking down the corridor. Half a minute later they found an entrance to a yet another passage, this time on the left wall.

“Do you want to search this now?” Willow asked Tara as they stopped next to the entryway.
“We might as well take a look. Maybe we’ll find a lever or something in there,” the blonde answered.
“All right then,” Willow nodded. She walked right into the new passageway.

“One of these days you’re going to let me go first,” Tara grumbled under her breath.

TBC.

And this is it for today. I hope you have enjoyed it. :bounce
If you have the time leave me a note to tell me what you thought of this chapter :moo

Post subject: Re: Fic: The Artifact (AU) (Updated 09/03/2006)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:42 pm 
5. Willowhand

WooHoo! An update! Oh happy happy day. I really enjoyed this update, and I'm so glad that you decided to continue with this story. Really. Like it made my day. More soon please?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:05 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

hey did I do it did I huh???

ETA - I did it lol, see not so slow - but I did however delete the original message doh! Oh well next time it will be perfect....:D
Thanks for the hint!

ETA - hmmmm what can I say? I have a lot to say but I am going to with-hold :wink ......the restraint the girls show is most certainly certifiable :).....very cute, very sweet and very much in style with you....ermmm your writing......great update.....now I go back to drumming my fingers and humming dum dee dum dee dum.....waiting...with much patience as you can see :D!!!

xx
t

Last edited by gabbykat on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:34 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky :bounce :bounce :bounce :banana :banana :banana I havent even read this update and I am on my knees thanking anyone who will listen that you are back to us and writing agian i will read and reply later :kitty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:40 pm 
15. Apple Sauce & Tuna

Another woo hoo and thanks for the update. I am glad that you are back! Now on to feedback. I loved the intimacy at the beginning between them, it was so sweet. The stairs sounded fun in a scary way, I love all the description that makes you feel like you are there with them. The new room sounds dark and mysterious, I wonder if they will have to split up?

Can't wait to read more. And once again, I am glad you are back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Outstanding, Sabina!!!

I'm so friggin' glad you're back with an update. A year was far too long to wait...I hope the next update comes sooner.

As always, you've put together a well-written chapter -- full of adventure and humor. I simply adore the way Willow and Tara just can't seem to get enough of each other, while still understanding the severity of their situation. Their way of working together to get through the various traps and pitfalls on their course through this tomb is highly endearing.

And speaking of traps and pitfalls...these are GREAT! So imaginative...and so realistic. You've painted such a vivid picture of everything that is around them and happening to them. Quite lovely.

All-in-all, this update does not in any way, shape or form disappoint. I'm really, really looking forward to more.

Can't wait! I think I'm gonna have to read the whole thing from the beginning again! ;-)

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

:sleep .... :sleep .......... :sleep ..........-:shock AAAH! IM ALIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEE!!!! *cue intense lightning bolt and thunderous um.. thunder.. uh :bounce ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!! wooooow :D that was so so awesome! now all u need to do is add 30 more updates (or so) and everyone will be satisfied :buried hehehehe!

Its so good to see you havent lost any of your flare, creativity or talent with all ur busy school days dragging you down! A very well written and interesting update :D more now... yes? :spin no...?

*sighs* thats okaaay :rolleyes i can wait another year i guess... :laugh

ETA: thankyou for commenting on my avatar :D it is much loved! i like to think of it as a retarded and somewhat deformed monster running on a tredmil facinated and thrilled by the fact that they're running and yet not going anywhere... *giggles* aaah.. *watches it* awesome..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:59 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

OMG OMG OMG!!!! An update!!! :pinky :pinky :pinky So exciting! You haven't lost your touch at all! I love all the traps and puzzles. But even more, I love the cuteness of our 2 tomb raiders! :wtkiss So cute together! You just made my week with this update!! Welcome back

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky ok I,m back and may I say HOT is in style this time of the year! :bow :bow I am so glad you are back. When you had Tara on her knees in front of Willow and what she was wanting to do to her :thud :thud :thud :thud :thud :thud :thud I might have had to reach out and take a :blush can,t wait for more I want to see them out of the tomb and in front of a nice fire or in a bed oh hell anywhere will be fine with me Love the story :kitty [/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:52 am 
3. Flaming O

Holy hell on a stick bat girl! an update!!!!! hrrah!!! i love it! heheh i love the banter!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:23 pm 
8. Vixen

You made my day!
Really cute how Willow & Tara tried to restrain themselves.
And a change of scenery! I wonder how they will get past this stage.
:smash More soon?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:01 pm 
3. Flaming O

ohhhh!!! lovely update! thank goodness you've decided to update this story coz i really, really, really LOVE IT :D

more please! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:44 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Topics: 1
I've never left feedback for this fic before, though I have printed it off and read it. I can't really think of anything specific to add, so I'll just say that I love this story (including the recent update) and hope that you continue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:56 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yeah!!! :bounce :bounce :bounce

I am so glad you have come back with an update to one of my favorite stories.

Does this mean you will update more frequently?

This is another beautiful and exciting update. I love how the tomb seems to be allowing them to stay together. I have a feeling there is going to be an ultimate test of their love before it is all over with.

Any more WT lovin' coming up soon?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:26 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Words can't express my delight at this story being updated! It's funny, because just the other day I was thinking, "The Artifact, there's a story that it'd be really cool if it got updated." And here it is! Hmm... *thinks deliberately to self* "A girlfriend would be really nice..." ;-)

Anyhoo, great to see you back. And you haven't missed a beat, this just picked right up where it left off and kept going full-steam. Willow and Tara's mutual lust-fest was a hoot to read - you do great comedy - and also sweet, in that it shows a softer, more impulsive side to both of them. They're both so tough and take-charge as tomb raiders, yet this is a situation they haven't ever really faced before - it's nice to see them having butterflies in the stomach (and other feelings lower down :blush ) and enjoying the newness of it all.

Speaking of tomb raiding, nice trap sequence - very Tomb Raider-like (I'm guessing, anyway - much as I adore Lara, I've never actually played any of the games, so let's say very video-game-like) but not so much so that it seemed unrealistic. I mean, it was clearly a puzzle set up in such a way as to have a solution, provided the intruder had the timing and physical skill to use it - very game-like - but seeing as the whole notion of the temple as a mystical environment built for the purpose of testing intruders - very harshly, but always with a chance for success - means those kind of video-game elements aren't out of place.

Willow and Tara's professional prowess at the whole tomb raiding business is also a pleasure in this story. I particularly liked Willow's realisation that she didn't feel any less of a tomb raider now that she's head over heels for Tara - that acknowledgement both of her feelings, and how important they are to her, and that she is a tomb raider, and that those sides of her are able to work together, rather than pulling her in different directions. Much as they both complain about the perils and pains of exploring - and get chills from the memories of near misses - and much as they both got into this line of work partly from difficult beginnings, there's definitely a part of both Willow and Tara that enjoys the challenge and the sense of accomplishment that comes from taking on a tomb and defeating it. I think that's something that sets this story apart from many others - Willow and Tara aren't just people who happen to be in a tomb, they're really truly tomb raiders, in their minds as well as their abilities.

Anyway. Wonderful to see an update here, thanks :bow And hopefully, more to come? :pray

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:42 am 
Wonderful update!! Great to have you back. Even there there was a gap of time between chapters, you can't see it in this latest chapter which seamlessly picks up the story. You have the most creative and interesting traps for our two heroines. Their working thru the tomb is as interesting as the final mystery which is also compelling.

I love the combination of sexual tension, romance and adventure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:42 am 
14. Lesbo Street Cred

:bounce looks like Sabina found her way out another type of trap/pyramid :)

As always in this story I like the humour and the puzzles. The flame-thrower stuff had me a bit confused but I think the stairs do make a full circle (though one end is below the other since it's bend downward, right?? At first I was imagining 5 steps as small part and not going fully round the bigger hole, makes the flame stuff weird :)

Anyway, they got past that.. sounds like that one wasn't specifically made to test two people, which is change. Tara is still somewhat shell-shocked about the idea of loosing Willow due to the dangers around them ain't she? She's gotta get used to that sooner or later 'cos I doubt either of them is going to go for the safe familly life once they get out of this mess :lol.

Not sure why Willow goes in first to see a view of Tara ?? Should she go in AFTER Tara to get the desired (heh) effect??

I might just go and re-read this story, I know it was fun the first time around :)

Welcome back!

Grimmy :wave

Post subject: Replies
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:17 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi everyone :wave

Thank you for all the feedback you have left for my story. It meant a lot to me to see that so many kittens were still following the artifact, even after a year of no updating. You guys are the best :pinky Thank you for sticking with my story. And I promise I’ll try not to leave you waiting for that long again. :blush
My beta for the first 22 chapters, TKOLove, for personal reasons won’t be able to keep helping me with this story. I wanted to send her a very special thank you for all the hours and effort she put into making this fic a better one and also for all the encouragement she always gave me. Without her maybe the artifact wouldn’t have seen the light of day.

But don’t panic… I’ve got a new beta :grin

Gabbykat (bless her soul) has accepted to beta for me. So I wanted to send her a very special thank you too. Thank you for fearlessly offering to help me with this over 150 pages’ monster. For putting up with my quirks with such a good humour. For pestering me to write whenever you get the chance and for supporting me when I do write :D

Ok, so now without further ado here are the replies:

highlandlass25 I am really happy the update made your day :grin I have every intention of continuing to write this story. W/T will get out of the tomb to see the light of day someday ;)

gabbykat Hey you :wave Yes, you have mastered the editing technique… :grin
I do have some trouble making them restrain themselves… sometimes I win and they move forward on the temple, sometimes they win and smoochies ensue ;)
Well, sweetie, I do know how patiently you wait for updates… :p You shouldn’t complain much, you do have access to the chapters before anyone else… Although you also get teased with glimpses in a way no one else does. So I guess you do show lots of patience *hugs* Thank you for everything :grin

Dianneswillowtree (1st reply) I love those emoticons thingies :grin Specially the bananas, they are so cute, they make me smile :banana I thank you for reading and replying. Hopefully I am back for good :grin

Dianneswillowtree (2nd reply) Welcome back :wave Well, I have to say that I also admire Tara’s restrain on that situation… I probably would have leaned forward for a… ermmm… taste too :blush But they’ll have their chance for a more extensive… tasting ;) It will take them a while to get out of the temple but I am sure they’ll make the best of the time :grin
Thank you :grin

Puff Thank you :grin It’s good to be back.
W/T are still a bit nervous around each other but they are starting to relax. I think of the stairs as a cross between escalators and roller coaster with an obstacle course thrown in for good measure. I am really glad that the descriptions sound right to you; I sometimes have trouble with deciding when enough is enough. Enough to give you a sense of the surroundings but not so much that it gets tedious :blush
The new room has a couple of surprises to throw their way :bounce You’ll see on the next update :grin

GayNow Thank you :grin Yes, definitely a year was far too long, I am hoping I won’t leave you waiting for an update that long ever again.
Quote:
I simply adore the way Willow and Tara just can't seem to get enough of each other, while still understanding the severity of their situation

I think W/T are getting more and more comfortable with their relationship and so they are beginning to balance a bit better the tomb raiding with being in love with each other. They wanted nothing more than just focus on each other and forget the world for a while but yet they know that they need to move forward on the temple.
I am happy you like the traps and pitfalls :grin I usually use the time it takes me to get to college to think about traps that I can send their way. It’s a fun mental exercise to forget the traffic jams but I worry about how well they will work for the reader.
I am also really glad to know that this chapter didn’t disappoint you. I was worried that it would fall short of the expectations after so much time waiting.

Belli Bear You’re alive… :bounce I am so glad the update was good enough to revive you. 30 more updates you say? *gulp* Ermmm… Would another one make you happy for a little bit? So I have time to stock up in provisions and vitamins ;)
I am really happy this update didn’t disappoint you. After a year of silence I was worried about whether this chapter would measure up to the others or not. Thank you :grin
Your avatar is really, really cute. It makes me smile every time I look at it :grin (Although I wonder if I have the same goofy smile on my face when running on a treadmill :hmm)

Guppy Thank you :grin It’s really good to be back.
I am happy this update didn’t disappoint. After being away for so long from this story I wondered whether I could still make it work. I am glad you liked it and found W/T cute :grin

Boadecia Yes, an update. I know after so long it almost doesn’t seem true :blush Hopefully now I am back for good.

WillowRulez I made your day? :thud Thank you :grin
Trying to restrain themselves is a constant struggle for the both of them, mind against heart, little angel on one shoulder, little devil on the other. I am glad you find it cute, I have tons of fun writing it :grin
W/T were complaining in my head about how they were tired of searching bricks so I thought a change of scenery was in order. So new room, new trap… You’ll have keep reading to find out what will happen next :bounce hum… please?

Shane Thank you :grin More coming soon :bounce
P.S. I love your avatar… So cute :grin

SithLordWiccan Thank you for reading and leaving a reply. You know, you guys feedback brings a smile to my face, the fact that you take your time to comment on my fic it’s like… wow :grin So ermmm… yes… this was a shameless plot to get you to leave feedback again… :blush Please?
I am really glad you love my story. Thank you :grin

TheRose24 Oooohh… bouncy emoticons. I love the bouncy emoticons :bounce Thank you :grin I am sorry it has taken me so long to update this time but I am hoping to update more frequently from now on.
I am glad you enjoyed this chapter and yes you are right, their love is still going to be tested before the quest is over.
Yes, there will be W/T loving coming up soon… Not on chapter 23 but soon :grin

Artemis Hi :wave It is always a pleasure to see a reply from you for my story :grin Well… with the artifact updates I can help but as far as the gf is concerned I am afraid you are on your own. Besides as far as gfs are concerned I unfortunately can’t talk much :whistle
I had wondered if I would be able to pick the story from where I had left off after so much time had gone by. I am really glad you guys feel I pulled it off :grin
Quote:
it's nice to see them having butterflies in the stomach (and other feelings lower down ) and enjoying the newness of it all.

The tomb raiding is the easy part for them. That they could do with their eyes closed. But deal with their own feelings, now that’s a scary thought for them.
I am glad the video-game elements don’t feel out of place for you. When I came up with the idea for this story I thought for a while about how to make the traps an integral part of the story as they are in the video games without it seeming a stretch. It is still a struggle sometimes so it makes me happy when it works out well :grin
I believe Willow has taken solace from her prowess as a tomb raider, as much as she felt like she had failed on other parts of her life, inside a temple she was whole. Then along comes Tara and confusion is thrown into her life and even the tomb raiding changes. Now she needs someone else to help her move forward and I think that makes her worry about whether she is becoming weak and dependent again and less of a tomb raider. So her realization that she can be in love and as much as a tomb raider as she was before is a step forward in their relationship. Because yes, as much as they were both sort of thrown into being tomb raiders, now it is an important part of who they are and if they are to love each other completely it is also as tomb raiders that respect each other.
Thanks for reading, liking it and for the insightful reply :grin More to come soon ;)

sam7777 It is great to be back :bounce I am really happy that there wasn’t a noticeable change of flow in between these last chapters due to the enormous gap of time in between chapters. I worried about that. One year can be a long time to stop writing.
Traffic jams make for very creative ideas about how to torture the other drivers slowly… errrmmm I meant traps for W/T to overcome :blush

Grimlock72 Hi grimlock :wave Well, it wasn’t a pyramid but it almost felt like I was scaling one. I promise next time I’ll take a laptop with me on the way up so I can write during the climbing.
Yes, you’ve got the right image about the stairs and flame-throwers. They do make a full circle with the end of it being below the beginning since it moves downwards. I am sorry it was a bit confusing :blush
I think Tara still hasn’t got used to the idea that she has Willow and is nowhere ready to deal with the idea of losing her. But you are right, neither of them is going to go for the safe family life once they get out so that’s something that she’ll have to deal with sooner or later.
About Willow going first to see a view of Tara… well if you go down a ladder first and look up at the person starting to move down after you all you get is a close up vision of their butt and thighs. While if you go second and look down all you can see is the person’s head and back.
It’s good to be back. Thank you :grin

I have a chapter almost ready to be posted so hopefully Chapter 23 of the artifact will be up on this thread on Friday :bounce
I am sorry for the long wait again :blush

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:52 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I can,t wait

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:28 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hmmmm, well first pumpkin (cos its halloween! :D), i never pester i just try to gently persuade you. And really no thanks needed, I'm way glad its being finished, so in a sense its mostly selfish reasons, well some selfish reasons and a few other reasons :blush.... but you are very welcome, it will be my pleasure :wink

xxx

t

eta: Now get writing :D

Post subject: Chapter 23
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:50 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hi :wave

Dianneswillowtree Ok, I know I am a day late but you don’t have to wait anymore, here i tis chapter 23. I hope you’ll enjoy it :bounce

gabbykat Pumpkin you say? Hum… does that mean I am round and orange? :hmm (maybe I have to be more careful with the tanning lotion :lmao)
You offering to beta for me saved my day. My hero :grin Thank you for everything, sweetie. Now let’s fasten our seat belts, it’s going to be a fun ride :grin

Ok, everyone, without more delays here it is:

• Title: The Artifact
• Author: sabina
• Distribution: Anywhere. Just please ask me first.
• Spoilers: No spoilers whatsoever. This is an AU fic.
• Rating: It is going to get to NC-17.
• Pairing: W/T
• Disclaimer: The “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” series and its characters are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. The “Tomb Raider” videogame is the property of Eidos Interactive and Core Design. This fic is not meant to infringe any copyrights.
• Summary: Willow and Tara are two strong and independent tomb raiders who are both hired to find the same artifact. Trapped inside a temple they realize that not everything is what it seems and they have to work together and fight side by side for their lives as they try to find the way out.

• Note 1: I want to thank my beta reader gabbykat for her help, support and outstanding job on the chapters. She makes my story shine. She also has been this story’s champion, always encouraging me to write and not letting me forget about the artifact. So thank you gabs.
• Note 2: I want to thank my beta reader for the first 22 chapters, TKOLove. Without her help and encouragement maybe the artifact wouldn’t have been posted. Your work has made this fic a better one, so thank you TKOLove.
• Note 3: I love Tomb Raider and this fic was something that had been in the back of my mind for long. Now I finally decided to write it. I hope you all enjoy reading it.
• Note 4: Thoughts are in italics

[center]Previously[/center]

They stepped away from the door and resumed walking down the corridor. Half a minute later they found an entrance to a yet another passage, this time on the left wall.

“Do you want to search this now?” Willow asked Tara as they stopped next to the entryway.
“We might as well take a look. Maybe we’ll find a lever or something in there,” the blonde answered.
“All right then,” Willow nodded. She walked right into the new passageway.

“One of these days you’re going to let me go first,” Tara grumbled under her breath.

[center]Chapter 23[/center]

Then Tara followed after the reddish glow of the flare and into the passage. The new corridor couldn’t be more than twenty meters long. To Tara’s comfort she could see the redhead carefully walking in front of her, gun lifted high, head rotating from side to side, cautiously evaluating their surroundings and searching for any hint of danger.

Relax! She knows what she’s doing… It’s not like it’s her first time. She does this for a living. But, so do I… and next time, I’m going first. I hate seeing her throw herself head first into danger.

As they reached the end of the tunnel they entered through the left corner of a coarse and uneven rectangular room. Both raiders edged slowly forward, their eyes were drawn to a flickering light at the furthest corner of the room, as they focused they were amazed to see a lit black candle resting on a bronze plate, its flame burning peacefully and illuminating the room with its light. With careful inspection of their surroundings they noticed a carved channel bisecting the room perpendicular to the entrance, it appeared to be coming from below one wall then disappear under the opposite wall. Exactly halfway between both walls resting on top of the groove there was a second dark bronze plate filled with liquid.

“Now that’s weird.” Willow whispered after her first fast perusal of the room.
“What? That there is a fire burning in a room where no one has entered for who knows how long or that the light doesn’t leave this room and it’s dark as night on the corridor? So would you say it’s weirder than floating panels, murdering clones or skeletons that appear from the ground?” Tara asked mischievously.

The redhead chuckled in answer.
“If you put it that way I guess that tiny itty bit of fire isn’t really that weird. Even if there is so much humidity in the air that it feels like clouds will form on the ceiling and rain will come pouring down on us at any moment.” Willow said looking up jokingly searching for the clouds.

The blonde raider looked at the beauty before her and couldn’t help the fleeting shiver that ran down her spine at the sight. Willow was on her tiptoes, flaunting the well defined muscles straining in her calves, up her legs, up her thighs and ending at her delectable butt, her mouth watering taut butt. Tara bit her bottom lip between her teeth trying to stop the brain to mouth connection that would undoubtedly send her thoughts tumbling out uncensored.

God baby… If you are looking for humidity, the air is so not the place you need to examine.

Tara shook her head, as she fought to dispel the naughty thoughts and focus on her surroundings “Now the question is: what do we do with it? The fire I mean. Not the…..umm… humidity.”

“Hmmm… Maybe we should light up the torch on the wall?” Willow said pointing at the wall behind them.
“What torch?” Tara turned around to look at where the redhead was pointing. “Oh… that torch.” She said sheepishly.
“I didn’t see it at first either… flickering flame being a big distraction and well dark wood on mud walls makes for great camouflage.” Willow explained picking up on her girlfriend’s rattled mood. “I only saw it when I was… uh… looking for the… umm… non-existing rain clouds.” The redhead explained her face colouring slightly.

Tara smiled bewitched by the slightly flustered redhead.

She is so sweet and lovable, not to mention cute and sexy. And oh God I love her blush and the sparkle in her green orbs... But now probably isn’t….no…no, now definitely isn’t a good time to be thinking about that. I mean I didn’t even see the torch because I was too busy ogling her butt when I should have been checking the room thoroughly. I need to focus before I miss something that might jump up to bite us on the ass.

“You know, that’s sounds like a good idea.” The blonde replied after a moment. And then without giving the other girl any chance to protest she walked to the wall and reached her hand to grip the torch.

Willow had a moment of rising panic as she saw Tara reach for the torch. The word “No” was screaming in her mind and threatening to erupt from her mouth at any second. But it never did. Instead Willow took a deep breath, threw the flare away and drew both her guns.

Ok, ok. Calm down you idiot, and breath. She knows what she’s doing. She’s done this lots and lots and lots of times… just trust her, trust her to know what she’s doing… equal partnership, remember?

With her hand firmly closed around the torch Tara paused briefly and glanced back watching her lover carefully to see if she was about to protest. Already steeling herself for the discussion she was sure was about to break when the realisation of what was happening dawned on Willow. Remarkably however, instead of the upset redhead she was expecting to find she saw Willow reaching down for her guns and then calmly and firmly point them at the spot on the wall above the torch. The blonde relaxed and flashed a smile that was as electric as her eyes.

Ok, this is good; she isn’t kicking or screaming … so maybe I was blowing things a little out of proportion. She had the flare and the guns so it made total sense for her to go first… Although I have survived tons of first steps into new rooms all by myself, but I’m not alone anymore. I have to learn to adapt and to release some control… And maybe she is still adjusting too.

“Ready to duck?” Tara asked jokingly as she readied herself to pull the torch out of its iron support.
“I’ll have you know I’m a very good ducker. A gold medallist in ducking ducks. I might even try for the Olympic Games next time.” Willow said playfully making the other girl chuckle.
“Ok so its safe to say you are ready then! Alright here it goes.”

Then without any more warnings Tara pulled the torch out of its supporting ring of iron. They both tensed waiting anxiously for the walls to open up or the ceiling to start descending upon their heads or at the very least a thundering boulder to come crashing from high above. After a long minute where nothing happened, they looked at each other, hesitating briefly to let out the breaths they had been holding, their gazes settled as a low rumble of laughter erupted from both raiders releasing the pent-up nervous tension.

“Now that was both a relief and a disappointment.” Tara stated looking at the apparently harmless torch in her hand.
“Yeah…” The redhead nodded in agreement before continuing. “But let’s not get bored so soon. There might still be some grand ole trap waiting for us.”
“Ok, so I have an unlit torch and there is an extra flamey candle there so I guess we should let the illuminations begin!”
“Ready when you are.” The redhead said with a captivating smile before raising her guns again.

Tara walked to the bronze plate on the corner while Willow stayed back warily looking around searching for any possible danger. The blonde leaned the torch down until it made contact with the fire, it ignited almost instantly and once again nothing out of the ordinary happened. Tara looked at Willow and shrugged her shoulders.
“Oh…well I guess this really is just a torch.”
“Yeah it appears that it is… But let’s not forget the plate with the weird looking liquid in it… now that looks promising. I think we should hold the ‘pity-the-normalcy’ party for a couple of minutes more.” The redhead replied lowering her guns to the floor and relaxing her stance.

Tara lifted the now burning torch up and walked to stand close to the plate in the middle of the room
“I guess there is only one way to find out for sure. Are you ready honey?” The blonde said looking demurely at her girlfriend.
Willow nodded, licked her lips then raised her guns back up and again tensed her body, ready for what may come. Staying as far away as possible from the bronze plate Tara steadily lowered the burning torch to touch the black liquid. It ignited almost instantly, an electric blue flame slowly started to trickle over the edge of the plate filling the ridge on the floor.

Tara stepped back to stand next to Willow suddenly needing the security that the small action provided. Both raiders watching as the fissure filled with blue fire until it was almost overflowing.
“Well, whoever is throwing this party sure knows how the work the lights.” Tara whispered playfully in Willow’s ear making the redhead shiver.
“Yeah, I mean all we are missing is the mus…” Willow’s breath caught in her throat as she turned to face her girlfriend. Tara’s eyes, reflecting the flames, seemed to burn with a flickering blue fire that pulled Willow in like the proverbial moth.

Tara watched as Willow’s eyes grew unfocused and felt her heart start to race out of control. She had seen that look enough in the last few days to know what it meant. Love, passion and lust all mixed in a burning blaze that threatened to consume her whole. The blonde swallowed hard, her mouth dry from the intensity, from the anticipation, from the need to have Willow and from the sheer desire that was filling her.

Oh Goddess… give me strength. Its so hard to control myself around her, I just want to …ok I just want her.

Unable to resist the look that she was seeing in Tara’s eyes, Willow walked closer to her girlfriend, moving until they were so close their eyes couldn’t focus on each other’s faces. Each breath they took teased the other’s lips and senses, as slowly and tenderly the redhead lifted her right hand, to softly cup the blonde’s chin and lovingly pulled Tara’s mouth to meet hers.

The blonde closed her eyes and opened her mouth slightly, relishing the pressure of her girlfriend’s lips against hers, the feel of Willow’s tongue softly flickering against her lips was creating a stirring tingle deep within her. Wanting to lose herself in Willow’s unique flavour Tara pushed her tongue to enter the honeyed depths of her girlfriend’s mouth.
Willow let out a soft gasp at the sweet invasion and brought her tongue up to stroke the length of the blonde’s muscle, at the same time she slipped one hand beneath Tara’s shirt making the blonde moan.
The blonde dropped the torch she still held in her hand to bring both her hands down to Willow’s butt, palms and fingers splayed wide trying to touch as much of Willow as she could.

It was the loud clang of the torch as it hit the floor, discarded, that pierced through Willow’s haze and made her realize where they were. She pulled back from their kiss regretfully, her breathing running out of control, her voice sounding just a little too low.
“Baby…” The word both an apology and a request for help.

Tara sighed unhappily and then without opening her eyes licked her lips.

“Willowlips.” She whispered throatily. Then she sighed and opened her eyes, turning dark blue pools to the redhead. “I know. Big bad temple. We have to go work but, I want you to know, I would spend every second of the day kissing you if I could.”

All day. Everyday!

The redhead swallowed hard feeling the beat of her calming heart begin to pick up pace again.
“You… me… and tons and tons of kisses. That’s definitely a date.” Willow said dazed.

Gosh. One would think that spending almost all night making love would satisfy me… at least for the day. But no… It’s almost worse than it was before… Probably because now I know what it feels like… Or maybe hormones are taking their revenge for my repressed teen years. Ok, you impatient hormones, it’s a promise: me, Tara, a bed or maybe a couch or a floor and lots and lots of kisses. Unfortunately we just have to get out of here first.

“I’ll hold you to that, sweetie.” Tara said winking at the redhead. Then she shook her head and smiled ruefully at her flustered girlfriend. “But first things first.” She took a deep breath. ”Ok, we need to focus.”
“Yeah.” The redhead agreed. “But hum… honey… it would help if you let go of my butt. Not that I don’t love your hands there but it does make focusing on anything else a bit of a challenge.”
Tara smiled her half smile that melted Willow’s heart and made breathing seem like a random activity to the redhead and answered. “Well I am not the only one whose hands have wandered.”

Willow sheepishly pulled her hands out from beneath Tara’s shirt making the blonde sigh unhappily. The blonde gave one last fond squeeze to Willow’s butt making the redhead gasp and blush before letting go.
Willow cleared her throat, stepped away from the other girl and looked around focusing for a second on the mysterious blue flame.

“Ok, so now what do we do? Do we wait here to see if anything else happens? Or do we go out to the corridor and search further along it?” The redhead asked.
Looking around Tara took a moment to contemplate her girlfriend’s question.
“Hum… I think we’ve done all we can here. So I vote for us to move along.” She paused a moment before throwing the question back at the redhead. “What do you think?”
“Yeah, the moving along part has my vote too.” Willow nodded and drew her guns.

Tara picked the torch up from the floor and began walking back to the corridor that had lead them into the room. Willow waited a few seconds and then followed closely behind, her guns lifted high and ready to shoot down any threat.

Tara looked slyly over her shoulder and saw the tense set of the redhead’s shoulders and neck and the way her eyes darted everywhere looking for any possible danger. Her posture radiated a coiled strength that for a moment mesmerized the blonde. She realized that she felt completely safe, knowing without a doubt that no matter what lay ahead of them Willow would be there to fight it with her.

The blonde smiled and took the final step that put her in the corridor. As soon as she entered the passageway the burning torch in her hand extinguished with a soft hiss, almost as if it had suddenly been plunged into water, leaving her in complete darkness. She turned back to caution the redhead so that she would have time to draw a flare but she never had the chance, without warning Willow smacked right into her, front against front.

It was only by their flawless sense of equilibrium that neither one of them fell. Tara pulled her left foot back and shifted her weight to absorb her girlfriend’s momentum while the redhead moved her right foot forward. It was like a well choreographed move. Two dance partners so used to each other that they flowed together without a thought, in perfect synchronization. They stood unmoving, face to face, their warm breaths gently caressing each other’s faces, teasing them with a proximity that they could sense but couldn’t see.

“So I guess there is something strange with the torch after all.” Tara whispered.
“What happened?” The redhead asked a bit breathlessly fighting the urge to move her face forward against Tara’s.

The blonde looped both her arms around the redhead’s waist almost unconsciously. It was both for support and because she simply couldn’t be this close to the redhead and not hold her.
“The torch went out without any warning, no flickering light, nothing. It was like the light belonged to this room and couldn’t be taken away.”

Willow put the guns, that she held tightly in her hands, back into their holsters and then responded to Tara by putting her hands around her neck, savoring the silken touch of the skin she was brushing beneath her palms.

“Hum… actually now that I think about it I stopped seeing you as soon as you stepped out of the room. Which was kinda weird because the light should have still be spilling into the room. Losing a visual on you made me speed up my pace to catch up with you and well made me catch up with you a lot sooner than I had thought. And this sort of led to us ermmm crashing.”

“Hmmm, sweetie now that I think about it I couldn’t see into the corridor before entering it.”
Willow shook her head for a moment before remembering that Tara couldn’t see her.
“I couldn’t either.” The redhead answered embarrassed.

It’s dark you dork. You can’t see her so, duh, logically she can’t see you either. Or anything else for that matter… There could be all kinds of bad things popping out silently from the walls and waiting to attack you right this moment…right now. And now. And now. So what are we doing still here? Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m enjoying this, Tara and me. Together. Alone. In the dark. Touching

“So maybe the torch is meant to stay in the room…” came a low husky whisper from the blonde.

Talking about the room, what are you still doing out here in the dark? Waiting to get killed? Forget about the fact that it feels great to hold Willow like this. That it feels sexy as hell. Knees crossing each other, her leg following mine like we are dancing. Her hand caressing my neck making me…oh good god… Forget it… just forget it.

“Probably…” The redhead answered distracted by her feelings and torn between expressing the need to get back to the room or at the very least light another flare and wanting to stay right where they were.
“We should probably…ummm head back into the room and maybe search it a little better.” Tara said hesitantly.
“Right.”

They let go of each other at the same time and both nervously drew a flare illuminating the corridor and each other. They looked longingly at each other then smiled sheepishly and stepped back into the room carrying the extinguished torch with them. They instantly spotted the still burning flare casting a reddish low glow on the ground.

“Well, at least the flare is still burning and the mystical blue flame is still going strong.” Willow said cheerfully before adding thoughtfully. “Although that’s kinda weird considering that I couldn’t see its light on the passage… there must be an easy explanation for that, maybe my eyes weren’t adapted enough to the darkness?”
“I don’t know about the blue flame but as far as the flare goes I would guess it’s our eyes that just couldn’t see it. After all before we came into the room it was burning perfectly fine in the corridor so I don’t see why it shouldn’t be illuminating it now.”

“Well that’s a huge relief… I have a feeling we’re gonna have our hands full not only with the wacky torches but also with the cheerful blue flame. No need for the flares to rebel against us too.”
Tara grinned at her girlfriend and was just about to start joking about wild flares when she caught herself and forced her facial muscles to relax.

What is it with me and idiotic smiles lately?! And what the hell am I doing wasting so much time? At this pace we’ll be old and wrinkled before we get out of here.

“Yeah, let’s hope that at least the flares won’t play any tricks on us.” The blonde said seriously. “So we should try lighting the torch and search the room again? And maybe search the walls too.” She added after a moment.
Willow caught the change of expression on Tara’s face and she replied in kind by adopting a neutral expression herself.
“All right.” She replied soberly.

Tara dropped her flare in the opposite corner from where the first one was burning, ignoring them, both raiders walked side by side, stepping carefully over the ridge where the liquid smouldered with a low flame, until they reached the plate where a candle burned steadily. Willow, wanting to be as careful as possible lifted her flare in one hand and her gun in the other while Tara reached her torch down and lit it. The touch burst to life, illuminating their way to the walls where they began searching in their usual manner, of opposite directions. Silently probing the dirt that coated the walls, scrutinizing everything for any clue as to what they were supposed to do next.

Damn. What happened? What did I do? Did I do something? Think, think. Tara was all with the happy, smiling face and then boom the smile was gone. But I don’t think I did anything… I mean I didn’t even open my mouth. Yep I’m positive I didn’t move, not a muscle. So it wasn’t me. Yay. But her smile is still gone so that’s not good. I want the smile back. But what if she doesn’t want to smile and I make it worse?!

After a few minutes they met on the other side of the room. Although it seemed fairly obvious that neither of them had found anything Tara still turned to ask and that’s when she realized that Willow was frowning, apparently deep in thought.
“Honey, why are you frowning?” The blonde asked worried.
“Because you’re not smiling.” Willow answered distractedly.
“Huh?”

As she heard the blonde’s puzzled exclamation Willow became aware of what she had said and blushed, embarrassed.
“I mean you were smiling a minute ago and then you just stopped smiling… You know almost frowning but not quite and I was worried that I had done something wrong but I just couldn’t remember doing anything, right or wrong, at the moment you stopped smiling…” By then Willow just had to stop because number one she was gonna need to breathe soon and number two because the smile she was babbling about had just began forming on her girlfriend’s lips.

God, she looks so cute all flustered and awkward. So who cares if I have the most idiotic smile in the world plastered on my face? It’s not like there is anyone here beside Willow to see it. Although she is the only one that matters anyway and I’ll smile like this forever if she wants me too… But right now… smiling or not smiling we have to start to move faster if she is gonna see this smile in daylight.

“Oh, sweetie you didn’t do anything wrong.” Tara said… with a smirk. Then she became serious again. “I was just worried that we might be moving too slowly or that I might miss something important because I wasn’t paying enough attention. I mean I didn’t even see the torch on the wall. What if I miss something dangerous next time?”

Oh yeah, and I worry that you’ll look at me and think who is this smiling idiot and what am I doing with her?

“Oh!” Willow said surprised.

Ok, so I didn’t see that one coming. But it didn’t have anything to do with me so one point for me… or is it no points against me? Ah, never mind. Who’s keeping count anyway? Ok focus, think… is Tara right? Are we moving too slowly? So, ok sometimes I get a little lost looking at her, the way she moves… or listening to her ….the melodic tones of her voice and oh… laughing with her… I love to hear her laugh… Oh God… Tara is so right! I usually move pretty quickly… Well, at least on the quests. And now I’m acting like a hormonal teenager. I mean, like how I think a teenager with hormones running loose probably acts, since my hormones were completely dead to the world when I was a teenager.

“I think you’re right. We’re moving much too slowly.” The redhead stated flatly after a minute.
Tara felt a twinge of regret at seeing Willow getting back to full tomb raider mode while at the same time she was flooded by a wave of relief. This was normal and she knew how to deal with it. Her and another raider in a temple, searching for the same thing and helping each other… until it was time to reach for the big prize and then all bets were off and it was each one for themselves

Except it won’t be like that with Willow. We’re in this together until the end. God, when will I stop reacting to everything like it’s a black and white situation? Raider versus lover. Focused versus happy. Why can’t I be both at the same time? Baby steps I guess. Baby steps.

“So we should move forward and move quickly. I think maybe leave the torch here, because it doesn’t work in the passage anyway, and we search the rest of the corridors outside. The fire seems stable, in a ‘not too dangerous to burn the tomb down kinda way’, so I don’t think there is a lot more for us to do here, at least not right now.” Tara said looking at the redhead with a hint of self-consciousness.
“I agree. Let’s leave the torch on the supporting irons and go.” Willow replied calmly.

The blonde walked to the wall next to the supporting iron where she put her torch securely in place. The redhead waited next to her girlfriend making one last check of the room, studying again the channel in the ground where the fire still burned blue, then looking to the place where it disappeared under the wall, and trying to find anything that they might have missed. When she was satisfied that they had done all that they could she turned her head in the blonde’s direction.

They looked at each other seriously and then Tara cracked her trademark lopsided smile that this time looked positively feral.
“Let’s go.” The blonde said fierily as she quirked an eyebrow.
Willow nodded wordlessly, momentarily dazed by the blistering sexiness of her girlfriend, then shaking out of her revere she drew her gun with her right hand while she held the flare securely on her left.

Illuminated by the reddish glow of the flare they walked carefully out of the room. Willow in front with her gun arm pointed forward, her finger tense on the trigger. Tara moving behind a little to the redhead’s left, her eyes searching the shadows for any trace of danger. Their footsteps echoing on the bare walls filled the silence between them.

They stepped out of one corridor and into another then turning left they resumed their search of the passage. A few moments later they found a door on the wall to their right which seemed to be identical to the previous one they encountered. There were no locks, no handles, nothing. It was just a plain metal door with no obvious way to open it.

“It looks just like the other one.” Willow said quietly moving the flare closer to the door to investigate it.
“Yeah, it does.” Tara agreed before adding. “But I think we should still search it completely. You know, just in case.”
“Yeah. No trusting appearances.”

Willow lowered her gun and Tara moved forward as they probed and searched every inch of the door. After a minute they finished without finding anything worthy of note.
“Well, I guess this time, what you see is what you get.” The redhead whispered, conscious of the way every sound rebounded on the walls and seemed to be amplified.
“Sometimes it is.” Tara whispered back.

Without any further comment they resumed their exploration and moved forward in the corridor. A couple of strides later Willow came to an abrupt halt, almost making the other girl stumble, she then turned back to her girlfriend.
“Do you think we should be searching the walls too?”
“Hum… I think we should leave that as a last resort. The walls look pretty much all the same and there’s still a lot of corridor to search.” Tara answered thoughtfully.

“I guess you’re right. Hopefully there’s something more interesting for us to do than to be investigating dirt.” Willow agreed a little sheepishly and then began walking forward again.
Tara spared an amused smile to herself at the adorable way the redhead could go from being completely normal to getting all flustered over something.

They had walked a few meters forward, ever watchful for pitfalls or dangers, when they inadvertently found an entrance to a new corridor on the wall to their left. They came to a stop right in front of the new passageway and Willow looked at Tara and tilted her head sideways questioningly. As an answer the blonde simply raised an eyebrow and nodded, that was enough for the redhead to turn and stride into the passageway.

It was a careful but short journey through the passage and soon they had entered a new room. On the face of it the room was much like the last one down to every detail. From the black candle burning on a bronze plate in the furthest corner of the room to the ridge in the floor with the other bronze plate balanced on it half way between the walls to the torch hanging on the wall, everything was the same.
“I’m starting to sense a pattern here.” Tara said a little sarcastically. And then she walked resolutely to the wall from where the torch was hanging and picked it up from its supporting structures.

Willow’s lips twitched in an amused smile at her girlfriend’s comment. Then as she saw where Tara was going her right hand closed a little more tightly on the gun and she aimed just to the side of her girlfriend. She knew exactly what the blonde intended to do and she wasn’t quite as worried as she was the last time they had done this but still the redhead wasn’t willing to take any chances with the other girl’s safety. It was only when Tara picked up the torch and nothing happened that Willow let go of the breath she didn’t even realise she was holding.

After retrieving the torch from the wall Tara made her way to the bronze plate on the corner where she angled the torch down and lit it. Then she walked to the bronze plate balancing on the ridge and ignited it too. Tara and Willow stepped back to watch as the seemingly blue fire trickled down to the ridge and filled it. Suddenly the room was bathed in a lot more light than before, Tara was mesmerized as she watched as the ridge became completely filled with the light. She was jolted from her trance as she heard Willow’s slightly high pitched call.

“Tara?”
The blonde turned hurriedly, worried that something had happened.
“What? What’s wrong Will?”
“There’s a bag over there.” Willow answered while pointing with her gun in the general direction of the corner on the other side of the entrance.

“What? Where?” The blonde exclaimed a little ungracefully as she turned to look at where her girlfriend was pointing. At first glance all she saw was the same earth that made the wall, floor and ceiling but then as her eyes recovered from the dancing brightness of the bewitching light and adapted to the more subdued illumination of the rest of the room she finally saw it. A simple black bag covered with what was probably centuries old dirt, lying forgotten in the corner, waiting for an owner that would never come back to retrieve it.

“Huh… Do you see it?” The redhead asked tentatively almost as if she was afraid that her eyes were deceiving her.
“Ah… Yes, I’m seeing it.” Tara answered just as hesitantly in her response as the redhead had been in her question.

They could both count on the fingers of one hand, and still have fingers to spare, how many times they had found proof of any previous explorers’ presence in other temples they had searched. Those old crypts had their way of making any remainder of organic matter disappear. Most of the time there wasn’t anything magical or mystical about it, it was just the work of many different bacteria and fungi finding adequate nutrients, expanding their numbers and breaking everything down to the basics until there wasn’t anything left.

“What do you think is inside? Do you think it’s a trap? It could be some kind of built in bomb… You know, open it up and BOOM?” Willow asked excitedly for an instant forgetting her resolution of going back to acting as she had in the beginning of the quest.
“Hum… I don’t think it is a trap. At least not one that will blow up in our faces but I guess there’s only one way to know for sure…” Tara answered trying to hide a smile at her girlfriend’s obvious enthusiasm.

I just love it when she gets all excited like this… Her face lights up, her eyes sparkle… her whole being radiates with power… I could spend all day just looking at her… This is why I should probably be looking somewhere else.

Willow glanced at Tara, hoping for her approval and seeing the other girl nod, she grinned and approached the bag with her girlfriend in tow. As they stopped next to the bag Willow put her gun back in its holster, sank to her knees and brought the flare closer to the bag allowing them to better see what they were about to examine. The bag was made of strong black leather and it looked a lot like a box with a bottom, four sides and a lid that had two simple metal fastenings that keep it tightly closed. There were a couple of straps of leather that were sewn to the back of the bag enabling someone to carry it across their shoulders.

They both observed the bag carefully. Tara from above, intensely, almost as if she was waiting for the bag to move and attack them while they were distracted. And Willow from her closer perspective, clearing some of the dust that had gathered on the leather and cautiously investigating the buckles trying to ascertain if there was some explosive devise or any other trap connected to the fastenings.

Noticing the flare begin to die Willow decided she needed both hands to better search the leather bag in font of her so she threw the flare away. Wanting to save resources where possible she decided the light from the torch was enough to see by so there was no need for another flare so soon. The thought of saving resources sent Willow’s active mind reeling.

Who knows what will happen next? If we have to stay down here for long we really are going to need the flares… Although I seriously hope not…I want to get out of here with Tara…to be with Tara…

She steeled her thoughts and returned to her task.

After a few long minutes of searching without actually opening the bag the redhead turned around and looked up at Tara easily meeting the blue eyes that shone intensely amidst the shadows hiding the blonde’s face.
“Well, I’m pretty certain that this was someone’s backpack and that it isn’t a trap. There doesn’t seem to be any kind of device connected to the opening of the bag and there is a figure of a bird carefully imprinted on one side that probably marks its owner.” Willow related neutrally.

Tara felt a slight pang of loss at the redhead’s cold tone but rapidly shook her head and forced herself to reply to the other girl.

Get a grip… First you want her to be cold so you don’t get distracted. Then when she is cold your feelings are hurt and you miss the bubbly, happy, excited girl. Make up your mind already, Tara.

“Then I guess all that’s left to do is open it…” The blonde said a lot more calmly than she felt. Her muscles were already tensing up, getting ready to jump into action, ready to pull the redhead out of harm’s way in a split second at the first sign of danger.
“Right…”

Willow turned around to face the bag, took one deep breath and then with firm hands unbuckled first, then the second of the fastenings. She lifted the lid away to open the bag fully. When nothing happened she let out a long breath and turned her head around to smile at her girlfriend.
“So far, so good…”

Tara sighed, as the bag was opened, expelling the breath she was holding and letting go of some of the pent up tension. Still on guard she eyed the bag carefully as she answered Willow’s smile with her lopsided smile. She wasn’t about to take any chances with her girlfriend’s safety.

So engrossed were they both with the discovery of the bag that they never noticed the change in the light illuminating them, it was beginning to take on a more purplish tinge.

The redhead drew one of her guns and carefully leaned over the bag to look inside. The first thing that she saw was a metallic bottle that had obviously once been full of water but was now empty, banged up and rusted. It was resting on a blanket that like the bottle had seen better days. It looked like it had probably been white once but now it was liberally splashed with brown and yellowish stains.

Unable to see anything beyond the blanket Willow reached down and carefully picked up both the bottle and blanket. As she pulled them away from the bag a small stack of books tied by a thin rope fell from the folded blanket and came to rest at the redhead’s knees. Willow gently put the blanket and bottle down before shakily reaching for the fallen books. She reverently picked them up fearing that her touch might damage them somehow.

Unnoticed by both, an orange tinge surrounded them as they investigated the books.

“Look Tara. Books. Lots of books… well, a few… maybe more than a couple but less than lots. So I was right the second time. Ah, there is a book about the legend of Shamia… no… three books about the legend of Shamia…” The redhead sat back and turned to Tara excitedly only to be met with amused indulgent blue eyes.

“I guess now I know why I couldn’t find anything about Shamia in the libraries. All books about her end up lost in her temple.” The blonde said with a twinkle in her eyes making the other girl chuckle. Hearing Willow laugh always warmed Tara’s heart and the blonde smiled at her girlfriend happily before questioning a little more seriously.
“Are all the books about Shamia?”

“Hmm don’t know… give me a second. Yes I think they are… no wait...” The redhead fussed a little with the books to answer before finding something completely different. “This one is a diary.” She said, eagerly, both eyebrows shooting high on her forehead as she opened the book, feeling the brown leather cover warm beneath her hands almost as if the book was getting used to being handled by humans again.
“A diary?” Tara asked surprised.
“Yeah. Do you want me to read what it says out loud?” The redhead asked enthusiastically.

Feeling quite curious herself to know more about the explorers that had come before them and, well, the complete inability to say no to Willow when faced with those shining bright green eyes and excited demeanour Tara sat down, smiled her brightest smile and nodded. And of course that was all the incentive the redhead needed.

Yellow light illuminated the pages as Willow started reading.

”This is the diary of Henrietta Smith and Lady Raven…

“Oh… So that explains the bird on the bag…” Willow interrupted her reading to say.
Tara sighed loudly, mock seriousness making the redhead smile and say, “All right, all right, I get it. Less talking, more reading.”

Willow happily continued her recital …written in the year of grace of 18… by Henrietta Smith known by everyone as Henry Smith, Lady Raven’s guardian. Herein I write my true name, the name my mother gave me just as she was dying, hoping that whomever finds it lives in a gentler and more accepting time than my own. I digress, for now it matters not because my Lady, my one true Love is dead and soon I am to follow her. Together in death as we were in life. My only regret is not being able to gaze at her eyes while my own close one final time.

Just as Willow finished reading the concluding sentence the torch, the candle and the fire in the ridge all hissed out leaving them both in complete darkness.
“Oh… That’s so not fair…” The redhead said pouting not remembering that the effect would be lost on her girlfriend since she wouldn’t be able to see her expression.

When only silence greeted her, the redhead felt a shiver of fear run down her spine. She hastily dropped the diary to reach back with both her hands to simultaneously light a flare and draw her gun. The room was suddenly bathed in a reddish glow that highlighted the fact that there was no one else there besides her.

Willow frantically turned around searching for some sign of the blonde’s presence and almost instinctively shot down a red spider the size of her fist that had been moving steadily and quite unnoticed towards her. Seeing that the blonde wasn’t anywhere in the room Willow ran to the main corridor only to be met with the same eerie silence, disturbing darkness and no trace of Tara’s presence.

And it was then that she felt it grow inside of her, the complete and utter panic, the devastating pain of her loss and she couldn’t control the wail that ripped from her breaking heart and exploded through her mouth, shattering the deafening silence.

“TARA!”

TBC.

And this is it for today. (dodges rotten tomatoes thrown her way)
I promise I won't leave you hanging for too long.
I hope you liked the chapter :moo
If you have the time please leave me a note saying what you thought about this chapter. :bounce

Post subject: Re: Fic: The Artifact (AU) (Updated 10/21/2006)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:15 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

*clutches her fast beating heart* oh my god :shock :shock :shock that has to be the best twist EVER! and i KNEW it was going to happen! coz u were all 'oo0oo0oo together together' and i was like :| together huh? NOT LIKELY! and then BAM! eery silence and aloneness and :| *calms down* wow.. ima die.. i HAVE to stop reading this fic :| its not good for my health.. :laugh oh course i kid :D i CANT stop reading this fic :lol along with countless others :D SO! *grits her teeth and waits* update soon yes? like... this year :D this week? today? :D great! glad that's settled!

le sigh.. so goes the life of a devoted kitten.. :kitty

-b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:57 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

:rofl yeaaaaaaaah Bell pretty much summed it up.

Super update dude! I would say a lot more but reading this has already made me late for work :grin

More when I come back if I remember lol

-Ashleigh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:07 am 
19. Yummy Face

:thud

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:46 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Oh, no!!! Okay, I guess I kind of expected something like that to happen eventually. Very well done. But please update soon. I have to know what happened to Tara!

Tara: I am, you know.
Willow: What?
Tara: Yours.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next