The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Rosenberg Institute
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:34 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Holy crap, Pips. I sure didn't see that coming. I understand bringing in the angst, but I gotta say, Tara and Danny (Oz) -- kinda the yuck factor for me. Oh, you're a sneaky little devil, you just had to torture us after giving us the previous hot lesbo lovin. Oh man, can't wait to see what's going to happen next, and poor Willow. After this shock, you really need to update soon so you can be on the way to fixing this major predicament for our girls.

Still lovin it!

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:09 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

whooaaa! That's a shocker!

Can't wait to find out what happens now.

this is a great story. It's always such a delight when I see there's been an update, and today's no exception. You carry the manners of the era so well through Tara's speech patterns, and the scenes she describes. This last revelation is a stunner - I was kinda worried about Donnie: what kind of badness he might bring with him (for all that this Tara is obviously very fond of him). I never thought of this. Wow.

I'm going to find it very hard to wait for your next update.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:18 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Dun, dun, DUUUUUUUUN! :D Wow! What a cliffhanger, and what a twist! Tara's married to Daniel!?! Holy jiff, now that came out of left field, didn't it. Hate to state the obvious, but I have a feeling that Tara being married and her not-so-dead husband showing up at the Institute is not really going to go over well with Willow, and personally if I were Tara I'd be really scared of Anne (and to a lesser degree, Harris) right about now. While I don't blame Tara for keeping mum—she thought Mr. Tara was dead, after all—I can't see Willow initially accepting any explanation, despite Tara's best reasoning. While Daniel certainly has some 'splainin' to do about why he's not dead, Tara probably has the most 'plainin' to do out of everyone. Da-damn.

Aside from the HOLY SCHNIKES! moment, I really like how you maneuvered this update. I know it was a bear for you, but you really did a wonderful job. You managed to elucidate each character's feelings on the politics of the time, while showing how each character relates to one another via the discourse, AND you followed all that up with a massive, massive bombshell. Tricky stuff, but I think you handled it really well, and as always, the writing itself was lovely and immersive. It was easy to follow, and empathize; I felt like I could feel Tara's mixed emotions at seeing Daniel, and her fear at turning to see Willow's face.

One thing that I wanted to mention: Tara's enthusiasm and eagerness in rushing to meet her brother's maybe-arrival was very cute, and a big insight in how close they are. As much as she's enjoyed her time at the Institute, there is an obvious part of her that has missed her family; Donnie is obviously very important to her. It was nice to see that explored. So Donnie got shot? He has some 'splainin' to do to, too, it seems. Like I mentioned in a previous feedback, we don't really know much about Tara's background (Daniel being a prime example), so it's going to be interesting to see if having her brother and husband there helps lift the veil on an earlier time of her life. I can't wait for an update to this story. It continues to be a favorite, and I can't wait to see where things go from here. Bravo, bravo!! :x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:34 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 3
I believe I speak for at least myself and probably Willow and Tara, too, when I say..."wah!!!!". How heartbreaking for poor Willow! And won't Anne be furious, now that Tara's hidden that she was once married! Why, by the days' standards, she would be an adulteress and a loose woman! Even if her husband were presumed dead! My god, I'm having flashbacks to The Scarlet Letter...please tell me there's not a scaffold and a creepy old guy with a vengeance bent! Uhm...I mean...please tell me that Oz won't turn into a werewolf in anger and devour Tara and Willow! Uhm...nope, still the wrong story. I mean...please tell me this will all be explained and resolved to a yummy conclusion! Please, oh please, let there be a happy ending! Oh, and by the way...I don't want to know ahead of time which side wins! I want to be surprised! I'm still angry at hearing the Titanic sank before I got a chance to see the movie. Way to spoil an ending. So, nobody tell me if the North or the South wins...I want to be surprised. And that Lincoln guy...I don't know, his odds of becoming President don't sound very promising. :smug ;-) :rofl Once again, Pips, my dear, I bow to you in humble surrender to your literary charms. Well done! :bow :bow :bow :thud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:29 pm 
5. Willowhand

Husband?!

*croaks*

*comes back to life*

Husband? She has a husband?! Well, that's a smack in the face to Willow that Tara didn't tell her. This should get really interesting really fast. Oy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:03 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
Buh? Tara and Oz? ...I mean, don't get me wrong, Oz is pretty cool (when he's not a werewolf, which I'm guessing he isn't in this setting, unless the civil war had some odd quirks that aren't in the history books), but... Darn it, even when Donny's not evil, he's mucking things up :happy This bodes not well at all for Tara and Willow and Anne (she's going to be all kinds of mad about this in Willow's defence).

It's an interesting permutation of canon, though - Tara's past coming back to haunt her. Even though it's not deliberately malevolent (we hope), and she thought Oz was dead, rather than just running away from her past, Tara's still kind of in the same situation, having put that part of her life behind her, only to have it turn up on her doorstep and muck things up.

I'm still really enjoying how you work in historical details, too - I've been re-reading Flashman (yet again), and not long ago went through Flashman and the Angel of the Lord, all about Harper's Ferry, which gave a condensed view of the politics of the time - a little earlier than this story, but it's really nice how the same people and parties and issues being mentioned gives this a real feeling of authenticity.

Post subject: Feedback
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:43 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dianneswillowtree – That’s what cliff hangers are for! You're not supposed to fall over onto the rocks, you are supposed to stay clinging to the edge for a while… not sure how long it will take to fix things, but we’ll get there.

chance – Thanks so much, I am glad you are enjoying and that the period piece feels real to you. Sorry your heart exploded. *Pips picks up the pieces and mushes them back together…*

sacinema – I am so happy that you never saw the cliffhanger coming, that’s great! It’s funny, because I told my girlfriend a while back what the twist was and she said something to the effect of "oh god, they will never see that coming". So, glad she was right ;) In regards to Oz being the husband, I don’t think I’ve seen other T/Oz pairings either, but I mainly did it because Oz’s character is perfect for this plot and there wasn’t another cannon character that I wanted to use. I think it was more convenience than anything. And you are right, women did not have a lot of rights back then once they were married. I’m glad you missed Alex, I loved writing him in, especially being the only major male interaction that I have in the story other then Giles and eventually Donnie & Oz. Glad to hear your cold shower worked out ;)

Zampsa1975
Quote:
So Oz-moron is there to mess things up...
Funny name for him. I’m definitely not writing him as a moron. I am going cannon season four on his personality, though the events will be my own, but I always loved the wise Oz that came back into Willow's life. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t want him anywhere near W&T to mess things up, but I loved his character.

whatmakesyouhappy – Glad to blindside you, and that was definitely the idea :) Glad you liked the flip flop as well.

wimpy – Tara & Oz, definitely the yuck factor, just hang on to see how it goes. Glad you thought it was a good dose of angst and sorry to be a little devil, but it was in the cards all along and I am so happy to have sprung it so I can move onto the next part. I agree with keeping the updates going now, which is why I am updating again now, though only a small piece.

spells42 – Thanks for continuing to follow :) I am glad you never thought of the twist, I like that it wasn’t predictable or trite. Thanks also for your complements on the era writing, it is definitely a challenge.

H – Holy jiff? Haha, love that, gonna use it now. Totally agree with Tara being scared now, that is definitely the case. Now what is the priority of fear? Is it Willow, Anne, Harris or Anne, Willow, Harris? Hard to say, there are different kinds of fear there. Thanks for the assurance on the update, it was indeed a hard one to write, probably the hardest yet. It’s definitely the transition piece and those can be tricky. Glad you liked seeing the love between Donnie and Tara. I always wanted to change that piece of cannon because I love my brother so much, so viola! Thanks for the help and guidance on this one.

DameSansMerci – Nope, nope, no Scarlet Letter vengeance scaffold here, but interesting that the update made you think of that. Trust me, there will definitely be a yummy conclusion, it just may take a while to get there. Okay, I wont spoil the outcome of the Civil War for you, but let me just say this… you may be surprised!

Willow~Rosenberg – It’s definitely a smack to the face, a betrayal you could say. Tara will explain herself with time and you can judge whether it was an appropriate thing to not mention (remember, she didn’t lie about it, she’s just omitted it).

Artemis – So glad to see you back in the thread and reading the story! I definitely look forward to your feedback. No werewolves here, but that might be fun ;) I’m glad you recognize the cannon thread. It is very similar to events in ‘Family’, but also in NMR’. Both episodes have the girls pasts coming back to haunt them and this really combines both ideas in a way, but with some flipped characters. I loved both of those story lines, so I loved rewriting the idea of it in my own image. Cool that you are reading more about Harper’s Ferry. It’s all very fascinating. Thanks again for hanging in with this fic and letting me know what you think!

Kittens, the update will be up shortly. It's a short one, but I wanted to keep the flow of the story going here, especially now that we are in angst mode!

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."
Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Post subject: The Rosenberg Institute
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:14 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

• Title: The Rosenberg Institute
• Author: pipsberg
• Feedback: This is my first W/T story, so I would love your honest and constructive feedback. The more encouragement I get, the more I am bound to write!
• Distribution: Please ask me first.
• Spoilers: This story is completely AU and unless you consider the Civil War and events leading up to it to be “news”, you won’t find any spoilers. If I have ruined the history of the Civil War for you, I apologize deeply.
• Rating: At least R, possibly venturing into NC-17 territory. I will give ratings and notes for each part as needed.
• Pairing: W/T
• Summary: As events hurl the United States towards an imminent Civil War, young Tara Maclay accepts a position as a science assistant at a secret teaching institute.

The Rosenberg Institute, Part 22

Rated – PG

“Husband?” Anne hissed, stepping closer to Willow.

Over Donnie’s shoulder, I saw Willow’s hands fly up to cover her mouth, her eyes locking with mine as they instantly filled with tears. My gut wrenched with the pain I saw in her beautiful face. Anne’s hand was immediately on Willow’s back, her eyes coldly assessing me. Harris dared not grin or talk, but only shook her head in disgust, then turned and walked away. A sob burst forth from Willow’s clamped mouth and she turned away towards Anne, huddled in her arms.

Where there had been love and contentment in my life, there was now confusion and pain. The thought of how much this hurt my Willow was an aching in my chest. And with Daniel alive, the thought of how much more I might have to hurt her tore at my heart. Willow wretched herself away from Anne and began running down the hall, where only moments before we had been gleefully running the other way, hands clasped together.

“Wait, Willow, I need to explain!” I yelled after her retreating form. But I was still held loosely in Daniel’s arms and Willow was rather speedy on foot; she had already made it to the side kitchen door. I needed to get to Willow and talk to her, but three people still stood around me, silently demanding an explanation. I stepped away from Daniel. I didn’t know where to look first, all I needed to do was get to Willow and set things right. I began moving towards the direction Willow fled to, my heart leading my body.

As I moved away I felt a hand on my arm, pulling roughly and I turned towards it. Anne’s angry face was suddenly within inches of my own, her eyes seethed with what I can only imagine to be rage. “What have you done, Tara?” With each punctuated word, Anne’s grip on my arm tightened and pain began to radiate out from where her fingers were latched onto my arm. My eyes flew to hers and tears welled up with the knowledge of how much my omission had hurt these people that I had come to feel where my own family.

“Anne, I will explain everything, I swear. I am so sorry. I need to get to Willow now. You have to let me set things right.” I pled with her, pouring all of my sincerity, love and remaining honesty into my eyes. We stayed like that for many moments, her hand gripping my arm painfully, our eyes locked together in a battle of wills. I had never been truly afraid of Anne until now, but I felt like my entire being, emotional and physical, was in her hands. Though Daniel and my brother stood only steps away, both capable of defending me, it meant nothing. Anne ruled this roost and my fate seemed to be with her now.

“Why should I let you anywhere near Willow again, Tara?” Anne choked out, her own eyes tearing up. “You’ve broken her heart. I let you break Will.” She yanked on my arm again, reminding me painfully of the bruise that would likely develop there.

I brought my free hand up to her hand where it grasped me so tightly and pulled with all my might, trying to release myself from her death drip. She did not budge so I implored her again with my eyes. “Anne, I still love her with everything I have in me, that hasn’t changed, and it never will. You have to let me go to her.”

My brother chose that moment to insert himself into the conversation, having stood silently listening to my exchange with Anne. Daniel did not speak, but simply observed us with an aloof detachment, waiting to use his words as he always did.

“Tare, what is this about? What does this mean?” Donnie step closer to us as he spoke and laid his hand on my shoulder.

“Donald, I will explain everything, I promise, but I have to do this first. I have to get to Willow.” I looked at him briefly, and then over at Daniel where he stood quietly, but my eyes immediately returned to Anne’s intense gaze. “Let me go Anne, let me fix this.” I pled with her again.

Anne’s grip began to loosen and I nodded slightly, encouraging her to release me. But just as I was about to pull away completely and bolt in the direction Willow had fled, she roughly grabbed me with both hands and pulled me to her in a violent motion, gripping my upper arms, my chest clasped to her. With her mouth just inches from mine she spoke, her voice barely controlled anger. “You’ll go to her, explain things, and then you will leave. Do you understand?” Anne’s voice, though barely a whisper that could not have carried to Donald or Daniel, was all steel and resolve. It exploded in my head. I immediately began to weep silently, but I nodded. At this moment I would agree to anything to get to Willow.

As her grip relaxed, I yanked myself away from her and stepped backwards several feet, my eyes still locked with Anne’s. Without even looking at the two men who had set this all in motion, I ran from the room, wiping furiously at the tears that now streamed from my eyes. It was at that moment that Daniel chose to use his words, and I heard them trail behind me as I ran.

“Huh, I guess she has a lot of explaining to do.”

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:21 am 
3. Flaming O

Isn't that the understatement of the century!

Oz is still very much Oz. Although, I'm kind of wondering how there's a happy ending for W/T when he's in the picture. It's not exactly a time period known for women's rights, eh?

Oh well, I have total confidence you'll navigate us out of it... looking forward to seeing how.

M.

There's some more of my stuff over here: http://bonmot507.livejournal.com/

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:13 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

oh dear, heartbreaking stuff.

Keep it coming, pipsberg please.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:30 pm 
5. Willowhand

Hi pips!

This is my first time commenting on your fic as I just read it last week. It's fun to do -- finally have time for a story and get treated to not only many chapters, but many chapters of quality storytelling. When I first started reading these fics I really shied away from AU, and when I got over that silly hurdle, I shied away from period pieces. What a dummy! Now I adore them muchly.

I must say, I love how you write Buffy (Anne) -- wait, Anne is supposed to be Buffy, right? -- as a (very) protective sister to Will. And seeing as how I didn't get to leave comments earlier in the story, I wanted to tell you my favorite bits were right in the very beginning how very adorable it was when Willow opened the door and was introduced to Tara for the first time. You know, when she was all "Who wants to know..." in a meanie face. And then just broke out into laughter. Precious. And I love how you introduced the book and how much fun W/T had (and hopefully still will have) doing all those shiver-inducing things found in those pages. And, of course, Anne knowing Tara was under the bed and Harris... Ohgod, Harris (Anya) is always a welcomed addition to most any fic.

That said, thanks for keeping up the story even with this wonderful and sad, but necessary update. The wrath of Anne (I could picture her with Buffy hands on hips) and the total crush of Willow (so much so she had to just runrunrun away) and Tara's desperation to get to her love.

I'm curious how you will explain this marriage. I mean, it truly seemed as if Tara was pretty damn virginal. Maybe Oz got called off to war on their wedding night? I certainly hope that's the case, else he hasn't be doing A LOT of things right.

Thanks for this story. I'll happily leave feedback from here on out. Hopefully not so, er... wordy. Sor!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:11 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

:pinky Well pip you really know how to bring us in to the storm of a century and yes I will hold on for dear life. I weep for Willow and for Tara even though I am really pissed at her right now. I am real impressed with Anne I loved how protective she is I would have told Tara the same thing talk and get out. the whole scene played out in slow motion for me bravo will hold on the cliff only by my finger tips pip. :paranoid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:38 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Wow, Pips. You sure are bringing on the angst. This was short but it said a lot, especially showing Anne's protection of Willow (again). I'm just really anxious now to hear Tara's explanation. Are they really married or was it just planned or something? I still can't believe Tara has never mentioned anything regarding this. I mean, this is big, with a capital B. Oh yeah, I don't want Oz dead or anything, but can you just make him go away? Far, far away.

Again, I really can't wait to hear what really is going on, and please don't make Anne kick Tara out. Pretty please???

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:55 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Wow, pips. That's definitely one twist. Poor Willow, poor Tara. This is horrible for them both. I hope Willow is not to devasted to hear what Tara want to explain. I also hope for Tara that her explanation is a good one. But even if it is a good one she should have told Willow about the marriage.

The confrontation between Tara and Anne was brilliant to read. They are both really strong women and I loved how you wrote cannon Buffy character into the story. The way she told Tara to leave after talking to Willow - that was definetly Buffy speaking.

Please don't let us wait to long. I'm dying to know what Tara is going to tell Willow. And how could this situation be solved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:51 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey, this is my first time leaving FB for this fic - just found it. Sorry for being a delinquent.

1. You certainly do write the smut well. Very well.

2. Tara being married to Oz is just totally too weird for me. Somehow, I can barely even picture them standing next to each other peaceably let alone.... anything else. Ew.

3. I think it's funny that Tara calls Donnie "Donald." Uber funny.

4. This is such a great fic! You're really doing well. I love the way they interact with each other, going from being shy to perfectly brazen. That first scene in the telegraph booth will be with me for some time.

5. I sincerely hope there's a chapter in Tara's little book about getting rid of pesky husbands and convincing her girl that she's only got eyes for a certain babbling redhead. Hmmm.

Anyway, great fic! Lovin' it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:20 am 
19. Yummy Face

Excellent update-y goodness... I hope that Tara could convince Willow & Anne to let her stay and continue being Willows sweetheart...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:17 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

What an awesome Saturday morning. I sleep in a little and wake up to find an update to my favorite story; one that I was completely not expecting (both the timing and content)! Great job! You managed to surprise me *and* surprise me. :D Way to keep the ball rolling with this one, too - and even though it's a "short" update (which I know you worried about slightly, though I think it's plenty long) - it's an awesome update. So glad to see you invested in this story and moving it forward.

This update was, as everyone before and after will likely agree, über-rough. Willow fleeing, wordless (oof), Anne going aggro, the guys quietly watching as Tara tries to keep her arm... powerful stuff. When Willow left I almost expected Tara to stay silent herself, stunned by events into introspectiveness, but it was nice to see her call after Willow, and of course, loved that she made it known in every word that her priority was to get to Willow. Donnie and Daniel have to know that there's something there after that reaction. And Anne. Badass! Definitely protective-Buffy in her reply, and quite frankly I think Tara did well to convince Anne that she should see Willow and explain, as it probably wouldn't have been out of line for Anne to ask Tara to leave right then and there, without seeing Willow. Hopefully Tara seeing Willow will help, not further hurt.

I can't wait to see where this story goes from here, and absolutely trust in whatever direction you go. Willow must be absolutely crushed, and there's no way that Tara can make that better with a few words in one day, though of course she'll try. Wonderful, wonderful job. :x

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:41 am 
12. Recently Gay

Sorry to bump this fic, just keeping a promise to leave feedback.

Poor Willow. I hope she's ok. Tara is married to Daniel/Oz. That throws me a little..., but a nice twist on the Tara Willow Oz dynamic.

Can't wait to see how this is resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:53 am 
3. Flaming O

a very hot fic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:44 am 
3. Flaming O

Oh sweet Goddess woman!!! Update.... please?!?! :pray :pray

I rarely leave feedback, as I enjoy my lurker status, but please, I love this fick and I need more!

I hope all is well with you and you're just busy in RL and will be back with this fic soon.... Tara has to fix it!

I agree with the others, Tara and Oz, well.... it's kinda icky but slightly amusing...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:07 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Soooo...This is a very not good situation that calls for some quick fixing I think...I miss this story.I do.I love Willow in this so much with her qwirky little behaviors and her passion and just all around sexyness for sure...
Anya is hysterical and Ann is protective and I just love how much she cares for Willow...
But still, it needs fixing here now so please hurry and fix it soon?
Thanks
Rosemary

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hi Pips!
I love the setting, the surroundings are so vividly portrayed and the characters are so lively! And the story, their shared love has been so sweet and innocent, at least up until this point! I really hope Tara finds a way of fixing this! I hope you take this story up again because honestly, it's too good not to be finished! :pray

Fly forever free,
Nenyath

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

hey! this is an amazing story, I don´t know much about American History (I looooooove History, but being a brazilian chick doesn´t help ¬¬), but I really like this piece... So well-written and the characters... I just loved your Tara ^^
and Willow? So cute, being so rebellious!

I´m waiting for your update ^^

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love
A Crazy Little Thing Called Mutation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:21 am 
2. Floating Rose

Just read this story wonderful can't wait to read more
hope you didn't stop writing !
Please please :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray Keep going this story is great !

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:52 am 
3. Flaming O

(Exactly the same that DeviantArt write!)
PLEASE update soon!!!!!!!!!! :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray :pray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:32 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I love this story and I want an update also!!! Please :pray

Post subject: Feeback
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:54 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Holy schnikies! Has is really been almost three years?? Since I last posted... entire regimes have fallen, presidents have come and gone, something called a Lady Gaga is all the rage (Say what? Can I get some sympathy, old timers?) and thank the little baby Jesus, the Board is still up, thriving and hopefully wanting to read this crap I have to post.

Oh yeah, and I got married, moved into a new house, had a baby and painted my nails. Ok, I didn't really paint my nails.

I have been writing RI... but alas, life has been so tremendously wonderful and emensely busy that I haven't had enough time to dedicate to it. So, no promises this time, but I am working on it.

For all those that are still following... thanks! For those that gave up, I don't blame you one bit (but you are welcome back with open arms).

Ok... Feedback responses first!

chance - Don't worry, there will be happiness. It may take some gyrating, but I will get them there. Thanks for following, and I am glad to hear you think Oz still seems like, well, himself.

spells42 - Yeah, it's a little rough, but I have to throw the angst curveball. It's just the way I roll. More coming, though so sorry for the delay.

katjetson - I hear you about shying away from AU... I was the same at first. But then I read a few really good ones and I was hooked. Period pieces are trickier, because you kind of have to be invested or at least interested in the material. Glad it's working for you ;-) Yes, Anne is Buffy, and that's great that you are enjoying her. She is such fun to write. You will definitely get your explanation about Oz in this part. Thanks for the first time feedback and for reading!

Willowtree - Oh wow, that's so cool that the scene played out in slow motion for you! I wish I would have actually written it in slow motion, it would have been a lot longer! Thanks for the nice words and for hanging in there!

wimpy - Hey there! Yes, I am the angst bringer (tm). I am not quite done, but the first hard bit is over, now on to some explanations and more plot. This is certainly big with a capital B, but hopefully the reasons will make some sense to everyone. Oz wont exactly be going away, but have no doubt W&T are bonded, and nothing changes that.

sacinema - This is definitely horrible for them both. It's like, the biggest wet blanket know to man!! You will have to let me know if you think Tara's explanation is a good one...even though I am writing AU, I am trying to stay as true to cannon personalities as I can. Tara once hid things from Willow and the scoobies, but she thought it was best. She's human, just like every other character. It's how she responds to it that I hope makes it justified.

taraslove - Wow, thanks for the first time feedback! I hope you come back again. 1. Whew, thanks... that's the hardest part! Glad you enjoyed. 2. Agreed. Which is why it was easy to use him as the plot twist. It's my vehicle for angst, but with no wheels. 3. Glad you think so :) 4. Thanks! It's an evolving process for me, that's for sure! 5. Yes, this chapter exists and we will get to it. I promise.

Zampsa - Thanks, and sorry for the long wait on the next part. Hang tight for the convincing, it's down the road a little ways, but it's there!

EasierSaid - Hey, history repeating... you are sleeping (hopefully soundly) as I post this... so you wake up to another chapter. Thanks for the encouragement, I wouldn't be able to do it without your support and eagerness to see the end as much as I am to write it. Glad that you enjoyed Tara's reaction to the scene unfolding. I definitely didn't want her to be passive, but she's in a tricky situation at the same time. I love writing Buffy, especially when she is bad ass... which is a lot. Love you tons!! xoxox

Paint the Sky - No worries about the bump. Let me nudge you back... :) Thanks for the kind words.

tararules2007 - Why, thank you!

Bewitchedyke - Here's your update! Trust me, Tara is trying her best to fix things. Thanks for reading!

hondos - I am glad you like all the qurkiness, it's fun to right. I am not going to fix everything at once, but this update should get our girls part way. Thanks for following!

Nenyath - Hey there, thanks for the sweet comments and for reading along. I hope to finish and am definitely doing my best!

Nue - Thanks! Glad to see a fellow history lover. I don't know much about Brazilian history, so we are even!

deviantART - I am trying to keep it rolling! Thanks for the encouragement!

Fuchsin - Thanks as well, I appreciate your words...

Post subject: The Rosenberg Institute
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

• Title: The Rosenberg Institute
• Author: pipsberg
• Feedback: This is my first W/T story, so I would love your honest and constructive feedback. The more encouragement I get, the more I am bound to write!
• Distribution: Please ask me first.
• Spoilers: This story is completely AU and unless you consider the Civil War and events leading up to it to be “news”, you won’t find any spoilers. If I have ruined the history of the Civil War for you, I apologize deeply.
• Rating: At least R, possibly venturing into NC-17 territory. I will give ratings and notes for each part as needed.
• Pairing: W/T
• Summary: As events hurl the United States towards an imminent Civil War, young Tara Maclay accepts a position as a science assistant at a secret teaching institute.

The Rosenberg Institute, Part 23

Previously…

“Husband?” Anne hissed, stepping closer to Willow.

Over Donnie’s shoulder, I saw Willow’s hands fly up to cover her mouth, her eyes locking with mine as they instantly filled with tears. My gut wrenched with the pain I saw in her beautiful face. Anne’s hand was immediately on Willow’s back, her eyes coldly assessing me. Harris dared not grin or talk, but only shook her head in disgust, then turned and walked away. A sob burst forth from Willow’s clamped mouth and she turned away towards Anne, huddled in her arms.

Rated – PG

I found Willow about twenty minutes later. She was asleep and curled in a fetal position with tear tracks streaking her face. I had looked for her in all our usual haunts, but she would have expected me to do that and had hidden underneath the stairs to the basement cellar. My heart ached to see her in so much pain, especially knowing I had caused it; and for such a seemingly innocent reason.

I crouched down next to Willow and lightly touched her arm, then her face, moving hesitantly closer to her with every caress. I did not know how she would react. Would she yell at me? Would she curse the day she met me and run me off? Either way, I had to try and convince her that I loved her and hadn’t meant to hurt her.

“Willow” I whispered lightly as I stroked her arm and face, “Wake up Willow, love, I need to explain…”

Her eyes slowly blinked open as the realization set in that someone was speaking to her. She didn’t move, but was awake and alert. She simply stared at me – accusing, hurting, angry and confused. Was it possible for one look to convey all those emotions? She was like a wounded deer.

Willow wet her dry lips and spoke hoarsely and slowly, obviously exhausted and parched from crying. “How could you do this to me Tara? I thought you loved me?”

Her eyes spoke all the hurt she was feeling. I felt it too. In anguish, my eyes filled with tears and I steeled myself with the effort to not break down in this moment; to be strong for Willow and explain myself. “Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. And I love you s-so much.”

I inched closer to her as I spoke, one hand on her arm where I had been comforting her. I half sat and half squatted next to her. This was as close as she seemed willing to let me be at the moment. When I was more settled, I stroked Willow’s face with my free hand and she shuddered, taking in a staccato breath and releasing it in jagged pants. I tipped her chin up and stared into her watery eyes. “I love you from the bottom of my heart Willow. That hasn’t changed. Can I explain? Can I tell you a story I hadn’t told you yet? Not because you didn’t deserve to hear it or I wanted to hide it from you, but because I was scared to tell you. I was ashamed.”

“I don’t think I’m going to enjoy this story Tara. I’m not sure if I want to hear it.” Silent tears where now running down Willow’s face, her lower lip quivering as she spoke.

“I know baby, but I need to tell you this and you need to hear it.”

I moved even closer, sitting fully on the floor now, and wrapped my arms around Willow’s lower body to maintain some contact with her as I talked. Willow nodded almost imperceptibly and I took a deep breath and let it out on a shaky sigh. Willow was gazing at me from teary, red eyes. She was open and vulnerable. She trusted me even after I had omitted this huge part of my life and it made my heart ache and my love for her soar. I started my story hesitantly. I wasn’t sure were to start, what to say or how to end. “You remember that my Mother died when I was fairly young. It was about eight years ago now…” I waited for Willow to nod and proceeded when she did, letting out a nervous laugh. “I feel so odd telling you a long involved story Will. You are usually doing all the talking.” Willow smiled a tight smile and nodded for me to continue.

“Not long after my Mother died, my Father became more embroiled in politics. That is to say, Mother was discreetly holding him back. Not in a controlling way, but because he was scared to injure her good name; tarnish the family so to speak. Does that make sense?” Willow nodded again, not saying anything and simply observing me beneath damp eyelashes. “I guess I have to go even further back. Growing up, my Mother was acquainted with another Charleston family. They were distant relations, I believe. Honestly, it was never very clear to me how she knew them, but she had a strong bond with the family and we grew up spending a lot of time with them - with their children.”

“The Osbornes, I presume?” Willow whispered hoarsely.

“Yes” I nodded. “Daniel and I were good friends growing up. He was several years older than me and also had a younger sister with whom he was very close. She died of an infection at six years old. I think Daniel thought of me as his new sister after that.”

“That’s sad,” Willow said tentatively. “But brothers don’t marry their sisters, Tara.”

“No, they don’t Willow.” I stroked her hand lightly as I continued to speak. “Back to the politics then. My Father’s activities after my Mother died were dramatic, to say the least. He began meeting with abolitionists and distributing what most in the South would consider traitorous literature about abolishing Slavery. Even though I didn’t quite understand it all then, I was so proud of him.”

Willow nodded sympathetically, most likely recalling her own brave Father.

“At that point, probably catching wind of his activities via rumor, several families we grew up with in Charleston visited my Father in Chicago. One of them was the Osbornes. They had good intentions, no doubt. They didn’t think the Republicans would gain any ground over the next few years and they were scared for my father; for Donnie and I. More specifically, they were worried for me. I was a motherless girl approaching marriageable age with a seemingly crazy Father.”

Our hands intertwined now, our fingers lightly playing against each other. Willow seemed more relaxed, though she no doubt was coming to understand where my story was leading. “They convinced my Father to allow a marriage with Daniel Osborne with the thought that it would protect me.”

Though not surprised by this point, Willow still glanced at me sharply. “I don’t suppose you had any say in this matter then, Tara?” Willow looked forlornly at me, hoping for a struggle from me; that I fought the arrangement.

I sighed heavily and hugged her legs tighter to me, rubbing my hand on her calf. “I wasn’t happy about it Willow. I didn’t want to be someone’s property, or to be shuttled around like baggage from man to man. But, did I fight it? No. I thought it was a sound plan at the time. I was but fifteen years old, I had just lost my mother and I didn’t understand love.” I paused and reached up to her face, my finger tips stroking her cheeks lightly. I cupped her face and smiled, my lips trembling. ”I hadn’t found you yet Willow. You changed everything for me.”

I leaned forward so that our foreheads touched and sighed, stroking her hair lovingly as I prepared to tell her the rest. “Can I go on Willow?” She nodded slightly and I pulled back while leaving my arms resting on her knees and my hand in her lap. I smoothed my hands over her dress covered knees in a soothing manner. I hoped to help ease the unpleasant topic with my touch. “We were married quietly once I turned sixteen; an arbitrary date in my opinion, but my father thought it was appropriate. It wasn’t announced and only our immediate family attended.”

Willow sniffled a bit and then looked up, her eyes tearing up again. Her bottom lip trembled and her face was taut with pain. “You belong to him Tara, for all intents and purposes, you are his.”

“No Willow. No!” I reached out and held her face again, my eyes boring into hers. “I don’t belong to him, I never did. I don’t love him. We didn’t even consummate the marriage!” I let out a puff of air after that outburst. “Technically, it could be annulled Willow, I suppose that’s what I always thought would happen; I would find the love of my life and marry him instead. But I didn’t find him, I found you.”

Willow leaned forward into me and clutched at my shoulders, burying her head in the crook of my neck. “But why is he here Tara? What does it mean?”

I stroked her hair, glad to seemingly be over the worst of if. Her affection appeared to be returned to me and at this point that was all that mattered in my narrow world of Willowness.

“I don’t know why he is here Willow… after all this time. I haven’t seen him since a few months after we married. He was bound to China the last time we spoke and I had a few letters from there…and India after that; then nothing. Donald and I assumed he was dead.”

Willow nodded against my shoulder, sniffling lightly. I continued to run my hands through her hair, lightly parting the soft strands with my fingers.

“We have bigger problems at this point Willow.” I lifted her face up towards mine so our eyes could meet. “Anne has asked me to leave immediately.”

Willow shook her head in slow motion, thousands of emotions playing across her face. Anger, disbelief, worry, panic and finally… resolve.

“I will worry about Anne. You need to find out why Daniel is here and how Donald is wrapped up in all of this. The timing cannot be a coincidence. The Republican convention is only weeks away, and suddenly your long lost husband appears from the woodwork with your radical lawyer brother in tow? Once we have all the facts, we can regroup and come up with a plan.”

I smiled tenderly down at Willow, her face still grasped in my hands. I felt as though my lips would break with the stretching. My eyes watered with tears again and I grimaced with the force of holding them back. This wasn’t my time to be sorry for myself or pity my situation. This was Willow’s time to deal with my history, and true to her vibrant nature she was embracing the positive. If it was even possible I loved her more. “I love the way you think, baby… just a moment ago I was afraid you would never speak to me again, and now you are hatching a diabolical plan.”

Willow smile weakly, sighed, and sat up straighter. She dusted off her clothes lightly and wrapped her arms around her knees.

“I have to admit Tara, I never thought truly ill of you. I was terrified when I realized…” she choked up, almost crying, and then reached out for my hand, “when I thought you would be taken away from me. But sitting here throwing my own little pity party gave me time to think. It wasn’t in character, that you wouldn’t have a good reason, that you wouldn’t still find a way to love me. Not after all we shared and not after all this risks you have already taken for me. Do you get that at all?”

She looked expectantly at me and I nodded slowly. “I do Willow, I really do.” I leaned forward and kissed her. It was a slow, soft, achingly sweet kiss. It wasn’t a goodbye, nor a hello, but a promise of much, much more and a reassurance of our bond.

After several moments of simply holding each other, we stood slowly, dusted ourselves off, and set out with our hands clasped tightly together; Willow to face Anne and me to face Daniel and his dramatic reappearance.

Last edited by pipsberg on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:19 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I truly hope that Donny & Daniel are not there to take Tara with them... I truly hope that Tara clearly tells Daniel that she wants their "marriage" to be annulled immediately... I wonder what Daniel has been doing all these years, maybe he has found a nice asian woman he wants marry and have his marriage to Tara annulled... Good that Willow didn't freak out too much and was immediately ready to formulate a plan to keep Tara with her...

Big yay for marriage & kids...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

Last edited by Zampsa1975 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Cheerio, you are back and your story is back. First of all: Congrats to the marriage and to your baby. I do think family and work doesn't leave much time for writing ff. All the better you manage to give this important update.

Even if you do not finish the story caused by the lack of time for writing I am thrilled that you gave us a small happy ending. All is good again in the world of W/T loving. Sure there are problems to be solved but I am sure they'll manage. And I do hope we will see how they manage. So, I will be thrilled if you have the time to finish RI.

And yes, I think Tara's explanation is a good enough one. Thinking about the time, the lack of women's rights in the 19th century, the non existence of a public discussion about same-sex relationships and Tara's age when she agreed to marry Dany, it makes her choice plausible. Even if I do not like the implications such a marriage brings with. So I am wondering about Dany's reason to see Tara. I also do hope he and Donny are not at the Institute to take Tara away and to make her live with Dany. But deep in my heart I doubt that. If he wanted Tara to be with him so bad, why did he leave in the first place without her? We will see and I'm confident you'll find the perfect solution to that problem, too.

Hurry Willow and talk Anne out of her intentions to make Tara leave. Who if not Willow is able to manage such a change in mind. I'm confident also in this matter. Anne might be hard to get but Willow will manage I'm sure. Please, let's not wait again three years for an update, pips. I would love to see this story finished. Thanks for sharing, thanks for coming back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next