The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: The Rosenberg Institute
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:09 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

• Title: The Rosenberg Institute
• Author: pipsberg
• Feedback: This is my first W/T story, so I would love your honest and constructive feedback.The more encouragement I get, the more I am bound to write!
• Distribution: Please ask me first.
• Spoilers: This story is completely AU and unless you consider the Civil War and events leading up to it to be “news”, you won’t find any spoilers.If I have ruined the history of the Civil War for you, I apologize deeply.
• Rating: At least R, possibly venturing into NC-17 territory.I will give ratings and notes for each part as needed.
• Pairing: W/T
• Summary:As events hurl the United States towards an imminent Civil War, young Tara Maclay accepts a position as a science assistant at a secret teaching institute.

The Rosenberg Institute, Part 1

Rating - PG

Chicago, Illinois
February - 1860

I approached the gates of the Rosenberg Institute with varying degrees of emotion.Trepidation and fear were by far the prevalent ones.Looming in front of me was my new home and the scariest place I had ever witnessed.The black wrought iron fences, shrouded in many years of unfettered ivy growth, stood menacingly in the early morning fog and somehow made the freezing morning even more unbearable to me.Somewhere behind these gates, I knew that a large brick building would be found; similarly covered in ivy.However, the thick mist hid the image I had seen in my father’s scientific journal; a gift for my 18th birthday.

Clutching my bags like they contained my very being, I walked closer to the entrance of my new home and looked for the call bell.Just to the left of the gate’s large hinges, I found a rusted and mostly hidden brass bell.There wasn’t even a pull attached to it any longer.Clearly, in the haste to open the Institute to students, no repairs or improvements had been made.Reaching into the bell, I found the remnants of a cord and pulled on it quickly.

I heard no sound immediately, but then in the distance and as if from a ship at sea, a muffled ringing was audible.I took a deep breath and waited for someone to greet me.For what seemed like an eternity, but more probably only comprised several minutes, I stood at the dreary entrance watching my breath puff out in front of me in icy clouds.When I heard the shuffling of feet moving towards me I set my bags gingerly on the ground, straightened my dress and coat, smoothed my long blond hair underneath my hat and instituted what my brother Donald always called my chess face; serious and unreadable.

From the mist in front of me there suddenly appeared a small figure, so wrapped in loose fitting garments and various brightly colored shawls that I could not ascertain their gender.For a few moments, the figure studied me, several times glancing around and over me to determine if I was traveling alone.

“And?” the figure finally spoke in an aged female voice.

I cleared my throat, curtsied lightly and spoke with every effort to hide my southern drawl.

“I’m here for the new science position” and when she did not respond, but only looked beyond me again I coughed lightly, extracted a small paper from my coat pocket and attempted another introduction.“I was given this note to present at the gate.It’s from Mrs. Anne Rosenberg.I know that I’m a day early, but there was no train tomorrow.I didn’t want to arrive late.”

She stared at my hand suspiciously, as if unfamiliar with paper. Then, in a quick claw like gesture, she snatched it from me and without even looking at its contents, placed it somewhere within her many folds of clothes.

“Name?” she barked at me next.

Now terribly embarrassed that I hadn’t immediately introduced myself properly I blushed and curtsied again nervously.

“I apologize Miss, I’m Tara Maclay.I’m expected by Mrs. Rosenberg tomorrow.”

And as if I had spoken some secret language to her or performed a clandestine club handshake, her entire demeanor shifted.Giggling in what now sounded like a very youthful tone, she lifted the shawl that had been hiding the majority of her face and torso.Though I tried not to, I know I gasped aloud.Revealed now in front of me stood the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.Adorning her pixie like features was a mass of wavy red hair falling to just over her shoulders.And her eyes – they were green like the vibrant grass on a summer day in the South; twinkling at me in merriment.

Swinging the gate open suddenly she smiled at me, showing all of her pearly white and straight teeth, waving her arm in a gesture to pass through in front of her.

“Well, why didn’t you just say so?We were expecting you Miss Maclay.I’m Willow Rosenberg, Anne’s sister.”

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Post subject: feedback
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:33 am 
sounds very interesting...:applause

hope you soon have an update

:devilish

slayral

Edited by: slayral at: 6/9/04 3:55 am

Post subject: Re: feedback
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:41 am 
How nice, W&T in classical 19th century novel style!

Keep on writing!;)

"I love slow, slow but deep, feigned affections wash over me" Dead Can Dance

Einstein was right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:02 am 
Mmmhhhh

"I like Amber Benson 'cause she's a proletarian" Sarabiga

Keynes was right

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:19 pm 
oooh, i like that! really interesting! i`m waiting for more!

Can`t we not suck anymore?! Ellen DeGeneres

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:25 pm 
Unique and interesting. Nice start. So is it secret because women and learning didn't go hand and hand in those days? Or for a different, more government like reason?

Yvonne:peace

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:50 pm 
Ooh, this sounds really interesting..can't wait for more!! :love . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong. And those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler (Evan Rachel Wood)

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:17 pm 
Hey kitties!! Thanks for the feedback so far! I have a new part ready that I will post shortly...

slayral - more on the way, thanks for reading!

SaraBiga - I'm glad you like the style. So many people don't have the patience for it.

3peanuts - Uhhhhmmmmm

effrena - thanks, you won't have to wait long!

Yvonne - I can't reveal all my secrets just yet! Otherwise, there would be no anticipation... Tune in to see!

Thanks for your feedback.

sam - I hope I keep you interested, thanks for reading!

:peace

-pipsberg

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."

Edited by: pipsberg at: 6/9/04 8:26 pm

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:03 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

• Feedback: This is my first W/T story, so I would love your honest and constructive feedback.The more encouragement I get, the more I am bound to write!
• Spoilers: This story is completely AU and unless you consider the Civil War and events leading up to it to be “news”, you won’t find any spoilers.If I have ruined the history of the Civil War for you, I apologize deeply.
• Rating: At least R, possibly venturing into NC-17 territory.I will give ratings and notes for each part as needed.
• Summary:As events hurl the United States towards an imminent Civil War, young Tara Maclay accepts a position as a science assistant at a secret teaching institute.

The Rosenberg Institute, Part 2

Rating - PG

“It’s wonderful to meet you Ms. Rosenberg” I said as I quickly stepped past her through the gates.

She laughed lightly, closing the gates behind us, and turned around with an impish smile on her face before launching into the single longest sentence I had yet to hear anyone embark on.

“Oh, well there’s no need to be so formal with me Tara, I’m neither a Miss or a Mrs. or a Ms. for the matter really – just call me Willow, everyone does – not that I’m implying that I’m known to the world” she paused ever so briefly to motion above her head in a flurry of circular gestures “and that everybody that meets me automatically knows my name, but I don’t stand on circumstance here since I think there is plenty of that in our country already; however, I do stand for being friendly and don’t you think that first names have a better way of conveying that – right to the point!”

With that, her hand shot out towards me so quickly that I almost stumbled backwards expecting her to smack me.I couldn’t help but laugh at her.A feeling of comfort, amusement and joy that I had never felt before in the company of those my age welled up in me so keenly that it forced its way out of my throat in what I can only describe as a snort.Covering my mouth with my hand I smiled at her with both warmness and embarrassment.Once I had controlled my laughing, I reached out to shake her hand.

Warmth, smooth silky warmth, enveloped my hand when she shook it firmly as she smiled and nodded her head at me.As she drew her hand away from mine, her fingers trailed over my palm, causing a tingling heat to rush up my arm.Never before had a handshake been so pleasant.My hand immediately missed the warmth of embracing hers.I scrunched my forehead in confusion, staring down where our hands had been joined.

“Is something wrong?” she asked “I know its cold, and here I am talking your head off when I should have been showing you to your room!Gosh!I can be so forgetful sometimes.Particulars before pleasantries Willow” she tapped her right temple a few times as she said her name.

I smiled at her, again my heart lightened by her friendly and carefree manner.

“No, nothing is wrong at all Willow.I just don’t believe I have ever heard anyone speak so many words in one single breath”.

“Oh, I’ve been known to do that" She grinned at me again.“Shall we go up and see the grounds?”

Though she was pointing in the direction of what I assumed to be the Institute, I could still not see anything through the heavy fog.

“I think that would be lovely Willow, thank you.”

We both moved to pick up my bags, which I had set down after entering through the gates, at the same time.I was leaning down slightly, my hands already gripping both bags, when her hands covered mine lightly in an attempt to take my luggage from me.I begin to straighten up, to protest that she needn’t help me, when I found my face mere inches from hers, our eyes suddenly boring into each others – my blue into her never ending green.

I became flustered instantly by her nearness, then confused by my reaction.It was as if she was pulling at my skin and pushing herself into me, all at the same time.I felt warm, weak and unsteady.I attempted to speak a few times, before having to moisten my lips and try again.I pulled lightly to relinquish her loose grip on my hands and the bags and stood up.

“It’s not a problem for me to carry my own bags Willow, but thank you for your kindness."

She stood as well then, her hands still slightly outstretched where they had been covering mine.She then folded them into fists and jammed them underneath her arms, turning away from me to start up the slight rise towards the grounds of the Institute.

“Well I had to offer” she said in a sing-song voice and grinned back at me, beginning a leisurely walk up the incline.

I followed a few feet behind her, still unnerved by my odd reaction to this adorable creature named Willow.Then I smiled ruefully to myself and thought ‘when have you ever though anyone was adorable, and at what point did you start talking to yourself in your head?’As my inner dialogue rambled on, much like Willow had previously, she moved to walk beside me rather than in front of me.I sensed that she was uncomfortable with our silent walk; I myself have always been prone to seek solitude and the quiet reflection that being alone brings.

Swinging her hands back to clasp together behind her, Willow glanced sideways at me few times.“So… where in the South are you from Tara?”

I groaned internally.Many years of smoothing my accent had clearly not convinced the very first person I met at my new job.

“See, I was thinking maybe Georgia, but I’m not positive because I’ve never been there – but! I met a fellow once from there and he had a very similar lilt to his voice only not as pretty and deep as yours.So I thought, perhaps further South?But really only Florida is further South than Georgia and you just don’t seem like a Floridian to me.Oh gosh, I hope I didn't just offend you.I have nothing against Floridians; I just somehow didn't feel Florida flowing off of you…”

As she trailed off, I could do nothing but shake my head in wonder as my steps slowed to stare at her again.My first negative response about my accent had evaporated as soon as she had begun her babbling.She simply made me feel good, just by listening to her speak.I grinned at her as she swung around to see why I had stopped.

“Do you always talk this much Willow?”

“Yes I do” she grinned back at me.Then, her smile faltered and she whispered in a very small voice “Unless it bothers you Tara.I can slow it down, but I can’t promise to stop”.

“No!”I laughed nervously at my own outburst.“Please don’t stop, it’s wonderful to listen to you.I’m from Charleston, South Carolina.”

“Ah, a Charleston lady!How lovely.”

She then took my hand and pulled me further into the mist towards the Institute.She didn’t let go as we briskly finished the ascent to my new home.Only minutes before, I had been terrified at the prospect of a new life and new people.Now, my heart burst with excitement and anticipation.And as I stared down at Willow’s hand, still joined snuggly with mine, something else swelled in me; it’s meaning just beyond my grasp.

-pipsberg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:27 am 
this is so fantastic! i really like that it`s tara`s POV!

again, more, please!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:59 pm 
Oh do continue!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:47 pm 
Um... yeah, what they ^^ said...

-shuyaku

Oh God, Willow—you’re giving me the gift of Karen Carpenter. Just when I think I grasp the full extent of your love." - Tara

"Why do birds suddenly appear? It’s because, you are queer…" - Willow (Gods Served and Abandoned by AntigoneUnbound)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:15 pm 
That was so lovely and just wonderful :love . Love sam xx

"Sometimes things happen between people that you don't really expect. And sometimes the things that are important are the ones that seem the weirdest or the most wrong. And those are the ones that change your life." - Jessie Sammler (Evan Rachel Wood)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:55 pm 
woah...this is really interesting. keep it up!

~Jamie

When you choose to hold the rose you are also agreeing to bleed.

Post subject: yayness!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:16 pm 
CHUCK TOWN!!! ok. sorry. i love this story, it's really different, but in a good way. charlestonian accents are vair funneh, no offense to any charlestonians out there though.

and that was the day's randomness.

-The Wicked One :wtf

Post subject: Re: The Rosenberg Institute
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:53 pm 
*Representin' Florida* that's my home state. Down South got it goin' on!!

Thanks for the whole Florida reference in your fic, it made my day. Although it's hot as a monkey's butt down here right now (ha ha)! I think your fiction is great so far keep up the good work and steady updates!!

-I'm out-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:21 pm 
This is really good. And cute.

I do so love Southern belles.

Saying that up is down will not make up, down.

~Gene Burns

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:18 am 
me likes!

I like the Civil War setting. Something different. My old history teacher would be proud, hehe...I'm still pretty hooked to hear more about the institue, too. Willow's a doll ^^

Keep it coming! :D

The Cheese Stands Alone...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:52 pm 
Might I just state that I am a sucker for Civil War romance, especially when it includes a southern belle. And Tara, in this fic, is quite the Southern Belle...except that she is smarter than Scarlett O'Hara. Did you notice how Maclay and O'hara both seem very a) Irish, b) Scottish. I confuse the two horribly, which is why I usually dont state which one the names sound like. Im both Irish and Scottish, so...

Anyways, Im falling hard for this fic, so please continue!

Sincerely,

:flower BWR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:04 pm 
If I had to pick an era, I'm more into Victorian romance, but I don't mind something new. This is really a wonderful fic. Although I still have a lot of questions, but I'm sure they'll be answered soon. Thanks.

Post subject: Feedback
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:54 pm 
Thanks for all the feedback kitties! I hope to have another part up by the end of the weekend. I'm aiming for weekly updates, but I may write more on occasion. I appreciate hearing from you in the meantime...

effrena - thanks, I think I will stick to one point of view for this story. It just works for the material.

Sheba - I plan on it!!

Thanks shuyaku

sam - great to hear that you love it, and I hope to keep you feeling that way ;)

Jamie - thanks for reading!

scelesta31 - I adore accents! I happen to have quite a weakness for them myself... thanks for the comments.

My Always - sorry to hear you're 'hot as a monkey's butt' in FL. Believe me, I have enough experience with both monkeys and FL to understand that.

Tempest Duer - what's not to love about a southern belle?? Except maybe her family...thanks!

LunaMuses - hey girl! Thanks for reading. I'm glad you like the setting and I definitely plan on incorporating both real life events and people as well as social issues at the time.

BWR - I too have trouble with the Irish/Scottish surnames. I'm part Irish and have never gotten my head around it either. Maybe I'll make her Welsh! =))

Yvonne - I love a Victorian romance as well, but I wanted to start with something just a tad more modern so I could blend some ideas I've been mulling over into it. However,if I keep writing I think I would tackle that at some point. Ever read 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters? I think it was an outstanding example.

-pipsberg

Edited by: pipsberg at: 6/11/04 10:10 pm

Post subject: Re: Feedback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:16 am 
This is a very promising beginning, I'm definitely hooked. Willow is so adorable, I can see already she's going to be a lot of fun to have around. And I'm pleased to read you'll be sticking to Tara's point of view - not that there's anything wrong with Willow's, but it's a nice change to get a story solely from one point of view, and I think that really lets you feel what the character is feeling, to see the world through her eyes alone.

I'd very much like to host this on Through the Looking-glass (alia.customer.netspace.ne...lass.htm), if that's okay with you? If so, if you'd like an email address to go on the pages, for feedback, you can email me at alia@netspace.net.au - if you'd rather not, that's no problem. I hope you'll agree. Thanks for writing, and I look forward to reading more.

Post subject: Re: Feedback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:57 pm 
I like that you're doing something more modern, and yes, I have read 'Fingersmith', 'Affinity' is just as good (though upsetting). Hope to read an update soon. Thanks.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:33 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

• Feedback: This is my first W/T story, so I would love your honest and constructive feedback. The more encouragement I get, the more I am bound to write!
• Spoilers: This story is completely AU and unless you consider the Civil War and events leading up to it to be “news”, you won’t find any spoilers. If I have ruined the history of the Civil War for you, I apologize deeply.
• Rating: At least R, possibly venturing into NC-17 territory. I will give ratings and notes for each part as needed.
• Summary: As events hurl the United States towards an imminent Civil War, young Tara Maclay accepts a position as a science assistant at a secret teaching institute.

The Rosenberg Institute, Part 3

Rating - PG

When we were within about twenty feet of the Institute, the dense mist on the hill cleared, and I had my first actual view of the building.It was massive by my estimation, though I certainly had yet to see much in the way of architecture in my lifetime.The brick mansion loomed above me and I quickly counted seven stories though I supposed there to be a basement and attic as well.Even drenched in ivy, the structural integrity looked sound.However, in its current state of disarray it exuded an abandoned, even forlorn, image.

Willow was now looking expectantly at me, as if a comment was needed.Because I was new, and certainly very ignorant of both mine and Willow’s position here, I choose to err on the side of diplomatic neutrality.

“It’s rather large”.I immediately regretted my mediocre comment as I saw her face fall, and with it my heart.A frown on Willow’s face was something I didn’t want to see duplicated again.I squeezed her hand and tried again, gesturing towards the top of the building, “What I mean is, it’s so grand… and actually a bit sad if I can be forthright”.

“You think it’s sad?”She dropped my hand then and held them wide, encompassing the building in her outstretched arms, “It’s a masterpiece Tara… it’s our own little castle on the hill”.

With that her hands flopped back to her sides and she looked at me, waiting for more.I attempted to speak a few times, but in my fear of disappointing her, my mouth simply opened and closed a few times.

“I think I should have clarified that it looks sad, as in forlorn, like a puppy without a master.But the potential it has is immense”.

“Tara, are you calling the Rosenberg Institute a puppy?”On saying puppy she lightly stamped her right foot on the ground and crossed her arms, glaring at me with a childish pout which quickly fell apart as she grinned uncontrollably.

“At least you’re honest Tara; it’s so rare that people tell you what they are actually thinking.I know we’ll get on just fine here and be wonderful friends and I think you’ll be great here with us, I really do.We have so much work to do!Oh – and the building itself just needs some work done here and there, I’m sure Anne has something in mind already… she’s really the one that takes care of details around here you know.If I didn’t have her here I think I would forget to bathe and I would dress in horribly unfashionable clothes, sort of like the ones I’m wearing now incidentally.Oh my gosh, did I bathe today?That’s so awful; do I smell overly much Tara?”

I was again dumbfounded by her ability to speak so much in one single breath and apparently without ever closing one thought before bleeding right into the next.I laughed merrily at her bathing comment and leaned in close to her face, the only unexposed part of her body.I inhaled fully and smelt nothing but sweet lavender soap and something that was undoubtedly and utterly Willow in nature.I wanted to bury my face there in her neck, give her a large hug, and infuse myself with her.She was the single most dynamic and incredible person I had ever met.

“You smell delightful Willow; and you know I’m being honest.”

“Well, that’s good.I wouldn’t want to go scaring away the Southern belles with my smelliness.No sire, no indeed.You’ll just have to help me bathe from now on… Oh my god!What I meant by that was that you could remind me.You could come by and I could bathe with you… No!I didn’t mean that either!Oh gosh, I only meant that if you were around or near me at the same time that you were going to bathe you could perhaps bring me along and golly this isn’t coming out at all like it was in my head…I’m going to stop talking now.”

By now Willow was ringing her hands, clearly flustered and embarrassed.Though I don’t know how, I completely understood the point she was trying to convey.I set my hands lightly on top of hers and looked into her eyes.For a moment, I forgot what I was going to say, the beauty and rawness in her deep green eyes distracting me from my thoughts.

“I get it Willow.Bathing assistance in optional.”

“Oh, cheeky Tara!Bravo.”She clapped lightly, clearly relieved that I had helped to diffuse her embarrassment with humor.I curtsied twice in each direction and smiled at her.

“Well Tara, let’s go in then so you can meet everyone.I suppose you are curious to know just what it is you are here for.”

Indeed I was and I nodded emphatically to let her know.She strode the remaining short distance to a white door on the east side of the building.Grasping the handle and yanking it, she ushered me inside.We entered into the Institute through what I assumed to be a servant’s hall.I could immediate smell food cooking and feel heat in the hall.Then, Willow began my tour.

For the next half hour, Willow took me from room to room, explaining the function and purpose of everything we saw in agonizing detail.On the first floor, where we had entered, was the huge kitchen and food pantry.There I met four cooks and maids in charge of the food preparation and serving.Willow made it abundantly clear that while I may see the appearance of Slavery, this was not the case.All of the servants at the Rosenberg Institute were free and fairly paid for their work.She interacted with all of the servants in a friendly and familiar way which was generally foreign, even in liberal houses in the North.

The rest of the first floor consisted of a dining hall, two large rooms arranged as lecture halls, several sitting rooms and, in the far northwest corner, a grand library with more books than I had ever seen in my life.We spent quite a bit of time here.Willow gleefully pointed out that she had personally arranged the books into different sections and alphabetized them.Additionally, she had begun an indexing system using different colored paper to catalog every book.Far from thinking Willow “insane” as she said she’d been told, I thought it was simply marvelous and I knew I would return often to use the many books there.

The second, third and fourth floors contained the many classrooms and offices which were still being prepared for students and instructors.Willow didn’t lead me in any detail through these areas yet, saying only that we would need more time than we had today and that I must meet Anne directly.The remaining floors were the rooms for the students and teachers as well as the family and servants.Though I was anxious to get to my own room and put my things away, I was even more eager to meet Anne and learn more about my job.

On the fourth floor, Willow approached a closed door on the end of the hall.As she got to within several feet of it, she began tip-toeing, as if to make as little noise as possible.She looked back at me and gestured for me to do the same.I humored her though I don’t think we made any less noise given the creaking floor boards.Willow then leaned into the door, pressing her ear into the wood and listening for a few moments.She raised her hand as if to bang heavily on the door when her stealthy approach was suddenly ruined; the door abruptly opened inwards and Willow topped forward into a heap on the floor.

“Damn it Anne, I swear your hearing is abnormal!”Willow’s exclamation was muffled by the coat she was still wearing, now tangled about her head on the floor.

I glanced up, trying not to laugh, and saw a petite blonde woman standing triumphantly over Willow.She was dressed in an elegant walking dress, her hair in impeccable ringlets down past her shoulders.She had the regal bearing of a princess and the confident stance of a warrior; yet in a small and delicate package.

“Silly Willow!Get up so you can introduce me to our guest properly.Stop rolling around down there like an animal.And for god sakes, are you still wearing your coat and scarf?”

Anne then dragged Willow to her feet, unwrapped her from her scarf and took her coat off in one smooth motion.Upon seeing Willow, now uncovered, I couldn’t help but gasp.Anne seemed annoyed, though not surprised, at Willow’s appearance.

“Trousers again.Willow, you’ll be the death of this family you know!”

Willow then snapped up an umbrella propped near the door and held it to her side like a rifle.Bringing her hand up to a jaunty salute at her forehead and standing at attention, she barked at Anne in a very serious voice.

“Ma’am, I’ll be wearing a dress when the students get here!”Willow snuck a grin at me.

I couldn’t help but giggle since Willow did look a bit like a soldier standing there.She was wearing dark blue woolen trousers, slightly loose on her thin frame.Her shirt was a cream colored man’s dress style, rumpled and haphazardly tucked into her belt.I’d never seen a woman in men’s clothes before and I had to admit it was very flattering, though truly scandalous.From her ankles and up, Willow’s legs where clearly visible.Indeed, her entire bottom half was on display in a way never allowed to women in society.When I realized that I was openly staring, I quickly glance up to find both Willow and Anne looking at me.

Willow seemed somewhat bemused and I blushed fiercely when I realized I’d been caught staring at her legs.Anne’s expression was unreadable.She approached me then and held out her hand which I took and curtsied.

“Miss Maclay, It’s a pleasure to meet you.I hope Willow’s antics haven’t scared you off.She’s terribly eager to impress you I’m sure, and though we love our Willow she can surely miss the mark sometimes.”

From the corner of my vision, I saw Willow roll her eyes and stick her tongue out.Anne then moved behind a desk in what was clearly her study.Letters were piled on every open surface available and she had been in the middle of writing on some parchment which she now moved aside to uncover a plain folder.She gestured for me to sit in one of the chairs placed in front of the desk.Willow sat in the one next to me.

“Mrs. Rosenberg, I assure you that Willow has been charming since I arrived.”

“Charming?Willow?”Anne smiled at Willow and laughed.I couldn’t place her expression but it seemed almost smug.It was if she knew a secret that I was not privy to. Willow was tapping her fingers on the arm of her chair.She raised one eyebrow to Anne as if to challenge her.Anne cleared her throat and opened the folder sitting on her desk.

“Well, we need to get some details out of the way Miss Maclay.Let me be direct.This institution is unique and therefore I have to keep it somewhat secretive.I assume you picked up on that much?”

I looked to Willow for guidance on how to respond, but she only offered me a small smile.

“I did sense the need to be secretive Mrs. Rosenberg.I assumed by placing the ad in Latin that you only wanted highly educated responses.Also, by using Latin you ensure that the applicant has some level of scientific or religious training. However, the last part was a little trickier for me.‘Vero Athena’ translates to ‘In Truth Athena’, but I didn’t know what it meant.I assumed it was a reference to Wisdom.”

Anne nodded at me and then spoke to Willow.“I told you that would be too vague.”Willow shrugged her shoulders and looked down at her hands.

“Mrs. Maclay,” Anne continued “this Institution is very special.When Willow’s father and brother, my husband, we’re killed, Willow and I were left with a great legacy.Our families taught us things no women of our time were allowed to know.It is our duty to do the same.We teach only girls here.Additionally, it is only women that teach them.It’s the only way that we could ensure the secrecy of what we do.We don’t teach quilting or manners you see.We teach mathematics, physics, natural sciences, and languages; all the subjects that most women will never be exposed to.However, you were not asked here to teach, though we may have a need for your Latin in the future.You were asked here to provide assistance for our science department.”

“This is fascinating Mrs. Rosenberg, and I am very exciting to be involved, but I am confused…” I reached into my coat and extracted the letter that I had offered to Willow earlier.“You said that no men teach here, but in the letter you wrote to me you mentioned that I will be assisting Dr. William Rosenberg.And while it could of course be a pseudo name I am very familiar with Dr. Rosenberg’s work in several published articles.In fact, my father met him at a conference in Boston several months ago.”

For a few painful moments, which seemed like a lifetime to me, there was complete silence in the room.Anne’s face was turning red as she clenched her jaw in anger and Willow was sinking down into her seat as if she wanted to disappear.Anne stood up and yelled at Willow.

“You went to Boston?!?”

-pipsberg

Michael Cunningham, The HoursEdited by: pipsberg at: 6/13/04 10:34 pm

Post subject: Re: More Feedback
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:37 pm 
Artemis - thanks for the great feedback. I hope I don't disappoint! I emailed you about posting. I would be happy to.

Yvonne - I agree, Affinity was great. Disturbing, yes. I much preferred Tipping the Velvet after Fingersmith which is my favorite. There was a great film adaptation of Tipping the Velvet on the BBC. If you haven't already, check it out.

-pipsberg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:33 am 
pips, you rock ^^

"very flattering, though truly scandalous" - that was awesome.

I love the Willow-babble, very well done. It's very fun watching the girls try to be friendly, but trip all over the formalities they've been used to all their lives. I relate to Willow as far as the pants go ;)

"Dr. William Rosenberg" hehe, I like the direction this is going.

*curls up and waits for another update*

The Cheese Stands Alone...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:50 am 
That was so great, loved it :love . Willow babble is so cute :p Love sam xx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:02 am 
:lmao

awsome! i loved the interactions between anne and willow!

Quote:
"You went to Boston?!?"

and willow babble was brilliant!

i really like the idea of this story!

i can`t get enough of this! more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject: Woo and Hoo!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:29 am 
This is an extremely different story, which, to me, makes it een more interesting! Am waiting to see how it goes from here on! Keep up the brilliant work! Cheers! :sheep

Post subject: Re: Woo and Hoo!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:02 am 
OMG! That was great. Willow going to Boston as a man - hilarious. Willow is going to be a great, bad influence on Tara - heehee.

Fabulous stuff :bounce

-shuyaku

Oh God, Willow—you’re giving me the gift of Karen Carpenter. Just when I think I grasp the full extent of your love." - Tara

"Why do birds suddenly appear? It’s because, you are queer…" - Willow (Gods Served and Abandoned by AntigoneUnbound)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next