The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:07 pm 
I must say I am very intrigued by the turn of events in part two. I'm wondering what forced her into the initiative in the first place. Very interesting. :hmm

Fascinating! this also makes me wonder about her fear of becoming a demon. Ohhh so very many questions. Can't wait to get the answers.

Urn of Osiris
_________________**
WILLOW: That's a work ethic! Buffy, you're developing a work ethic.

BUFFY: Oh, no. Do they make an ointment for that

"you can not have more fan fic, you have a fan fic problem"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:02 am 
this is a cool story, and i like the twist of Tara working for Maggie :)

Dude, we're surrounded by perverts!

2nd place??? That's just a fancy term for loser!

"You feel her she's crawling nearer" Seven Witches

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:03 am 
I had just caught up on "Into The Woods", was crusing the boards and was excited to see a new post from you and, :eek

You've done it again!!! Given us a reason to keep coming back.

Post subject: Part 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:15 pm 
Greetings, all! Here's the continuation of the meeting... you know the one. Sorry, I'm a bit behind on replies (as in, I haven't done any as of yet). I will get to them shortly. I've just been too busy writing to, uh, write. You know what I mean. Okay, enjoy!

-BB

Title: The Truth of Deception - Part 3: The Fate of the World

Author: blameburner

Summary: AU, baby! So you all know by now... Tara is part of the Initiative. Plenty of questions remain, however, and the answers will be revealed... eventually.

Spoiler Warning: S4. Everything up to "Hush" is canon. After that, this story veers off. There will be some similarities to S4, but definite differences. Basically, if it happened after "Hush" on the show, assume it didn't happen unless I mention it specifically. Also, there may be occasional references to dialogue from later episodes, but used in a different context.

Disclaimer: Not my characters, but oh how I wish they were! Joss, blah blah, ME, blah blah.

Rating: Generally R, but some NC-17 (maybe). Just be prepared.

Pairings: W/T, of course.

Angst: 5 for this part. I'm still going middle of the road.

Extra Special Disclaimer: Remember, no matter how bad it gets, my stories always have a happy ending. Have faith.

"I infiltrated the group. There was nothing really, just a bunch of girls pretending to be Wiccans."

Walsh waited. She knew the agent well enough to know she was holding something back. "There was nothing really, and yet there was something, wasn't there, Agent MaClay?"

Tara MaClay answered her mentor honestly. "Yes, there was."

Part 3

"Care to elaborate, Agent MaClay?" Walsh asked sarcastically. "Or would you prefer to let me guess?"

"No, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am," Tara said tensely.

"Tara, relax," Walsh said with a slight smile. "This is me, remember? Maggie?"

Tara let out a long breath and stood slightly less rigid. She let her hands, which had been clasped behind her back, fall limply to her sides.

"Sorry, Maggie," Tara said, smiling half-heartedly. "The last couple of days have been kind of... intense."

"Tell me about it," Walsh said with a mirthless laugh. "I never realized how much chaos not being able to speak could bring down on us. I mean, the command structure remained intact, but barely, and..." Walsh trailed off, noticing how Tara was looking around distractedly. "And you're not talking about chaos run rampant, are you? What happened?"

"May I?" Tara asked, indicating a chair. Walsh nodded, and Tara sank into the chair wearily. She rubbed her eyes, then slid her hand to the back of her neck and rubbed. She had knots on top of knots in her muscles.

Walsh waited, knowing that Tara would say what was on her mind - in time. Walsh just had to be patient.

Finally, Tara met Walsh's eyes, and let her hand drop back down to her lap. She sighed. "I don't even know where to start," she said apologetically.

"Try," Walsh said simply.

"I did as you asked. I went to the Wicca group," Tara began to explain. "But those girls... they were more interested in bake sales and dance recitals than spells or eye of newt."

"Well, that's good," Walsh said, somewhat relieved. "I mean, out of all the places I would expect dangerous occult activity, it would be on this blasted campus."

Tara nodded. "Certainly. Of course, just because the Wicca group wasn't a front for a coven doesn't mean there isn't one coven or fifty covens somewhere near the Hellmouth," Tara said logically.

"True," Walsh agreed. "We'll just have to keep looking. Again, that's good, at least for you. I'm not about to waste my best agent, and best kept secret, on tracking down kids running through the woods trying to re-enact The Blair Witch Project."

Tara laughed, and smiled at Walsh gratefully. Somehow Walsh always managed to make her feel better.

"Seriously, Tara," Walsh continued, "I sent you to that group for a reason. Demons aren't the only thing we have to worry about in Sunnydale. The Hellmouth draws in all sorts of powerful forces, especially ones of a magical nature. We need to know what we're up against."

"I know, I know," Tara said, the full brunt of her responsibility weighing heavily on her shoulders. "Of course, you're right. The college is the logical place to search for individuals practicing the dark arts - to search for kids who have nothing better to do with their time than experiment with potions and dabble in forces they cannot possibly understand."

"Which is what makes them so dangerous, Tara," Walsh said. "These are people with no respect for the laws of nature, who don't have your training, your experience, your..." Walsh trailed off, not wanting to bring back unpleasant memories. It was too late for that, however, as Tara knew what she had been about to say.

"It's okay, Maggie," Tara said quietly. "You can say it. People who don't have my legacy." Walsh nodded. Tara grew quiet.

"Tara, I know you miss your mother terribly," Walsh said softly. "But she left you an incredible gift. You have 500 years of magic and Wicca in your veins. 500 years of history and knowledge racing through your blood. Before she died, your mother made sure you understood how to tap into that power, and to use it wisely. That was her gift to you."

"And your gift was to teach me what that power could do," Tara said full of respect. "That it could set me free."

"Tara..." Walsh started to protest.

"No, Maggie, really. What you did for me..." Tara trailed off, shaking her head as emotion overwhelmed her senses. She looked up once again at her teacher, her mentor, her savior, with tears in her eyes. "If it weren't for you, I would have been trapped after my mother died. I would have been stuck there with those... people. You and the Initiative... you saved me."

"Well, now that our mutual love-fest is over," Walsh said jokingly, wanting to change the subject. Tara laughed, brushing away her tears and focusing back on the task at hand. "So what did you find at the Wicca group? Besides the latest recipe for chocolate chip cookies?"

"I found a witch," Tara said.

"A witch? Are you sure?" Walsh asked. Tara quirked an eyebrow. "Oh, well... of course you're sure. That was a dumb question. So? Tell me."

"She's... special," Tara said, her mind trying to find a word that could effectively capture Willow Rosenberg. She finally decided on "special," for lack of a better word. Truth be told, there was no single word Tara could think of that would be good enough to describe Willow.

"Well, that's not a vague statement," Walsh said impatiently.

"Oh, sorry," Tara said. "It's just... it's hard to explain. I know, I know, but try anyway, right?" Walsh nodded.

"I sensed... something. At the Wicca group. I can't explain it any better than that. There was just... something. Then she suggested that the Wicca group show an interest in spells, which of course caught my attention. The so-called Wiccans, however, practically laughed her right out of the group."

"Go on," Walsh encouraged. "Did you talk to her?"

"No, not right away," Tara said. How could she possibly explain that she failed to make contact because she was too nervous to speak to the redhead? Yeah, that'd go over well, Tara thought. I'm sorry Professor Walsh, I couldn't make contact with her because she was really cute and I had butterflies in my tummy and all I could think about was asking her out on a date.

"Anyway, I stayed after the meeting and tried to get some information about her," Tara continued. Tara wasn't about to mention her little magical run-in with Miss Woman Power Shrine. She knew damn well Walsh would not approve, especially since Tara had done it why? - in some vain attempt to defend a woman she hadn't even really met and who wasn't even in the room at the time? No, better to keep that part to herself, Tara decided.

I suppose I shouldn't tell her, either, that I wasn't thinking about my mission at all when I asked for Willow's name. The thought flashed through Tara's mind, closely followed by the realization of what that meant. She had asked for Willow's name, not because of her mission, but because she wanted to see Willow again. What is going on with me? she thought a bit worriedly.

"Tara. Tara? Agent MaClay!" Walsh finally had to shout in order to break Tara out of her thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, sorry," Tara said. Alright, focus Tara. Stop all this nonsense and focus, dammit! she thought. "In any event, that night we all lost our voices, and I began to search for magical ways to restore what was lost. I found a spell that I thought would work, and I, uh..."

"You what, Tara?" Walsh asked with interest.

"I, uh..." Tara hadn't really thought about it before, but now she realized this might not sound too good to Walsh. "I needed a second for the spell, so I went to find Willow."

Walsh sat back in shock, not just that Tara had decided to perform a spell with an untested witch whom she barely knew, but... "Did you say Willow? As in Willow Rosenberg?" Walsh asked.

"Yes, Willow Rosenberg," Tara said uncertainly. That was the last reaction Tara had expected from Walsh. "Why? Do you know her?"

"She's in one of my classes," Walsh said slightly distantly. "Very bright girl, good student. I never would have guessed."

"In any case, I went to find Willow, to try the spell?" Tara said, waiting for Walsh to criticize her for doing something so reckless. But to Tara's surprise, Walsh did not criticize her at all. She seemed rather distracted, as if trying to put the pieces of some giant puzzle together in her head.

Tara decided to continue on with her story. "All the details will be in my report, but the bottom line is that we never had the chance to attempt the spell."

"Why is that?" Walsh asked, somewhat more focused on Tara than she had been a minute earlier.

"We were a bit distracted with running for our lives," Tara said with a rueful laugh.

"Interesting. Well, I'll be looking forward to your full report, then," Walsh said somewhat dismissively.

"There was one other thing," Tara said somewhat hesitantly. She almost hadn't even brought it up, though she knew damn well that it should have been the most significant aspect of her report to Walsh. Yet for some reason she hesitated, and she could not for the life of her explain why. Then her training won out and she did her duty. Still, there was something... something.

"Yes?" Walsh asked.

"At one point Willow and I were trapped in a laundry room, and these things were about to break down the door. The only thing we could do was move a soda machine in front of the door, except it was too heavy for us to physically move. So we ended up moving it... with our minds," Tara explained.

This got Walsh's undivided attention. "What did you say?"

"Well, after we realized we couldn't budge the thing, I saw Willow focusing really hard on it. The soda machine started to wobble, but then stopped. I realized what Willow was trying to do, but she didn't have enough power on her own," Tara said. She paused for a moment, replaying the events in her mind.

"I don't how I knew, but I knew. It was like... like..." Tara thought hard, but couldn't put it into words.

"Like you had a connection," Walsh said with awe in her voice. Awe, and something else. Something...

"Yeah," Tara said. She peered at Walsh intently. Even as warmth flooded her body from the memory of her connection with Willow, something in Walsh's eyes made her... nervous. She had to forcibly stop herself from shaking at the chill that suddenly swept through her body. She shook the unpleasant thoughts from her mind, and continued to explain what had happened.

"We linked hands, and then the soda machine just... moved. Flew, really. Up against the door. Blocking it," she said. Tara didn't mention the surge of electricity that had shot through her when her hand touched Willow's, or how perfect Willow's fingers had felt when linked with her own. Or how they had sat there for what seemed like forever, hands intertwined, palms pressed together, staring into each other's eyes.

"Well, I'd say you had quite an evening," Walsh said suddenly, straightening the papers on her desk. "Yes, I'd definitely like a full report on this, Tara."

Tara was confused by the sudden change in the room. In Walsh. But, it had been a long and confusing few days for all of them, so she decided to put it all out of her mind.

"Yes, ma'am," Tara said, standing and moving towards the door.

"Tara?" Walsh called after her as Tara opened the back door to the office, the one which only she and Walsh knew was even there.

"Yes, ma'am?" Tara asked, pausing.

"You do plan on seeing the Rosenberg girl again, don't you?" Walsh asked, almost as an afterthought. But Tara knew damn well that Maggie Walsh never did anything as an afterthought.

"I... uh..." Tara sputtered. Of course she had planned on seeing Willow again. Oh yes, Tara definitely wanted to see Willow again. But Tara wanted to see Willow on a social level, hopefully become friends with her - maybe even ask her out, if she could get up the courage and keep the sudden resurgence of her stutter to a minimum. What Tara hadn't planned on was seeing Willow as a secret agent of the Initiative.

Walsh's question was the first real thought Tara had given to the prospect of investigating Willow Rosenberg. This concerned Tara. Her assignment had been to infiltrate the Wicca group, seek out any potential threats, make contact, and investigate the subject. Forging a relationship with Willow should have been something which had occurred to Tara long before now. Yet it hadn't, and Tara hadn't even realized it. Not really.

I guess I just don't see Willow as a threat, she thought. No one that sweet and gentle and amazing could be a threat. What does Maggie think? Willow's gonna turn into Dark Magic Willow or something? Plus, if Tara was completely honest with herself, she did not want to lie to Willow. Even thought that was Tara's job. Even though it's what she had been trained for. Even though...

"Tara, we need information on this girl," Walsh said, bringing Tara back to reality. "We need to know what she's capable of. This is exactly the kind of threat I sent you in to investigate."

Tara looked at Walsh uncertainly. "Of course, if you don't feel comfortable, I can always send one of the other agents. Agent Wheton, for example..."

"No," Tara said quickly. "I'll do it." Tara didn't want another agent anywhere near Willow, especially Agent Wheton. That bitch is a skank on wheels, Tara thought disgustedly. Tara knew that if she didn't do it, Walsh would just send someone else. Someone who didn't care about Willow. Someone who didn't understand that Willow couldn't possibly be a threat. Someone like Wheton. Just plain someone else - someone not Tara.

"Good," Walsh said, smiling. "Standard operating procedure. Reports once a week, no direct contact unless something urgent happens. Use your discretion."

Tara nodded and moved through the door.

"Oh, and Tara?" Walsh called out absently, wading through the reports on her desk.

Tara didn't even turn back to look. "Yes, ma'am?"

"Do whatever it takes," Walsh said.

Tara turned slowly back to look at Walsh. Did she just?... No, she wouldn't have. Get a grip, Tara.

She shook her head at the strange thoughts she was having about her mentor. The last few days have royally messed with my head, she thought a bit guiltily. She decided then and there that she needed to stop being so damn paranoid.

"Yes, ma'am," Tara said before walking out the door.

TBC with Part 4: The Revolution of the World

"I feel like someone ran me down with a car, and then got out to give me a really great pair of shoes." - sassyeggsglobal

Post subject: Re: Part 3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:42 am 
Walsh encouraging Tara to be informal, and call her Maggie. Very interesting. Even Captain Cardboard referred to her as The Professor.

Hmm, Walsh doesn't seem too surprised at the connection between Tara and Willow, and seems to be encouraging it. Most curious.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:43 am 
This is set up to have lots of complications. Motivations already murky but what choice did Tara have. Thanks for the update!

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Tara and Willow

Accept NO subsitutes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:22 am 
Agent Wheton? Skank on wheels?:laugh

Blamey, lots of surprises. But I trust you.:wink Can't wait to see where you go with this.

Xander: "Tara, nice axing." Tara: "My first."

Edited by: mscheckmate at: 9/19/02 1:37:32 am

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:56 am 
:hmm this is getting more and more interesting...

Loved the "What does Maggie think? Willow's gonna turn into Dark Magic Willow or something? :laugh

There's definitely a bond between Tara and Walsh. I'm kinda afraid that she'll act the same as she did with Riley in canon... Or maybe THAT's your plan: substitute Tara and Riley... :hmm

Glad to see Tara is feeling protective of Willow already. I'm not sure Walsh is up to any good... A little side entrance, a "secret" secret agent...

Well, as you can see, I'm still puzzled and that's a garantee for you that I'll keep reading!

Great job! :clap I'm loving it!

Season 7: "Is this supposed to be some sort of sick joke?"
"Please continue with the story of failure"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:18 am 
WOW!! I just caught up with this, im just catching up with alot actually seeing as my computer went bye bye last week and wouldnt work. We had to get a whole new hard drive! Whoops!

Anyway, Wow!! I like! Tara, an agent, i didnt see that coming! Very interested to see where you're gonna take this!

Looking forward to more

Love and hugs

Louise xxx :love

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:04 am 
BB;

Love the update! Things getting verrry interesting

:hmm Can hardley wait to see where this is going!

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me

OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:21 am 
Great update, BB!! Its getting very interesting!! Can't wait 4 more! :)

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.
Tara: I said quirky.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:22 am 
How the frilly heck did I miss this? Very intriguing, things are starting to make sense or not make sense.

-------
"Yeah, 'tis the season. Whatever that means." Amends
Insist upon yourself and never imitate. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:33 am 
great update :grin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:56 am 
Okay, I going to use a word to describe that last chapter, and it is not a word I use lightly, but I just can't help it, so here goes: This story is awesome!

How great is it that you're bringing back Maggie Walsh as an obviously still sneaky and underhanded but much more complicated character, one who understands the legacy of 500 years of magic?! I love that. There's something she's thinking about that connection that W and T have that's ominous and creepy and so, so great.

I love this story already.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:54 am 
I really like the depth you're giving to Maggie Walsh and her relationship with Tara. There's so much more to her already in your story than there was in season 4. Still, I don't trust her and I worry about what their relationship will mean for Willow and Tara as they grow closer.

--
"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit. "   "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:42 pm 
Oh update cool! Love the story so far and can't wait or you to continue with the next part.

-Trinity-

--------------------------
Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love, the clarity of hatred, and the ecstacy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bare. If we can live without passion maybe we'd know some peace. But we'd be hollow, empty rooms, shuttered, and dank, With out passion we'd truly be dead. ANGEL in "Passion"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:12 pm 
:bounce See me being large with the WHOO & the HOO here! I am sooooooooo loving this!! Twists and turns abound and Confident Super Agent Tara is just so :drool worthy. Can't wait for more!

"Live or die, but don't poison everything..." -Anne Sexton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 4:55 pm 
Oh - this is very good. Nice and complicated. Love it.

------------------------------

Anya: I have finesse! I have finesse coming out of my bottom!

Post subject: Part 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 6:21 pm 
Still getting caught up on replies, but here's some from the last update. Glad you all seem to be enjoying this so far. Now don't go getting all spoiled by the fact that I'm updating again so quickly!

***mollyig - Captain Cardboard! LOL. Yeah, there's an interesting dynamic at work between Maggie and Tara, which will be explained a bit more in this next part.

***xita - Complications... definitely a theme here. Muahaha.

***mscheckmate - You trust me? Yeeee-haaaaah! Thanks! As for the skank on wheels bit... hehe.

***saule77 - Well, I can tell you that nothing will be exactly as in the show... but there will be similarities. But nothing after "Hush" is canon. As we go on, we'll be getting farther and farther, but be prepared for the occasional return to things familiar.

***Lola19 - A whole new hard drive? Yikes!!!

***barnabasvamp - You can't wait to see where this is going? Heck, I can't wait to see, either! Hehe.

***MissQuirky - Well, thanks! I hope it stays interesting.

***Thanatopsis - Hey, confusion is my middle name. Didn't I ever mention that?

***Grimaldi - Thanks!

***Tulipp - Ominous and creepy... definitely what I'm going for. ;) I always thought Maggie was very underutilized in S4 - made to be very one-dimensional. Personally, I always thought she should have been the real Big Bad.

***darkmagicwillow - Worry away, but never fear. Maggie will definitely... complicate things.

***XWickedXWiccan - Can't wait? Well, here you go! Now don't say I never gave you anything. *G*

***TromDeGrey - Droolworthy is definitely a theme here, too. I'm all about powerful women. Hehe.

***MadeinNZ - You ain't seen nothin' yet. Muahaha.

-BB

Title: The Truth of Deception - Part 4: The Revolution of the World

Author: blameburner

Summary: AU, baby! So you all know by now... Tara is part of the Initiative. Plenty of questions remain, however, and the answers will be revealed... eventually.

Spoiler Warning: S4. Everything up to "Hush" is canon. After that, this story veers off. There will be some similarities to S4, but definite differences. Basically, if it happened after "Hush" on the show, assume it didn't happen unless I mention it specifically. Also, there may be occasional references to dialogue from later episodes, but used in a different context.

Disclaimer: Not my characters, but oh how I wish they were! Joss, blah, blah, ME, blah, blah.

Rating: Generally R, but some NC-17 (maybe). Just be prepared.

Pairings: W/T, of course.

Angst: I'll say 6, simply because of the implications.

Extra Special Disclaimer: Remember, no matter how bad it gets, my stories always have a happy ending. Have faith.

Part 4

Tara had lain awake most of the night, thinking. Always thinking. Sometimes the noise in her head just grew so damn loud, there was nothing to do but think. She couldn't ignore it, couldn't push it away, couldn't even distract herself. All she could do was think.

The clock on her nightstand blinked at her. Slowly, methodically, angry red numbers flashed over and over again. 6:02. 6:02. 6:02. She shut her eyes, but the numbers were still there, tattooed to her eyelids. She couldn't ignore it. It was time to face the world.

She had worked out hard last night, probably too hard, and now her muscles were shouting at her in protest. But she had needed the release, needed to focus on something other than her thoughts. Normally she would have run a couple of miles, too, but she found that when her mind was as busy as it had been since her conversation with Walsh, running only made things worse. Running gave her too much time to think.

So she had poured all her energy into the punching bag, occupying her mind with the enemy she had invented to fight against, blocking imaginary blows with precision, retaliating with kicks and punches that - had the enemy been real - would have landed with deadly accuracy.

Now she was paying the price, but it didn't matter, she told herself. It hadn't been a complete escape, but it had kept the chaos in her mind down to a dull roar. It hadn't lasted, though, and even working out to the point of physical exhaustion hadn't allowed her to fall asleep for more than a few minutes at a time.

Tara got out of bed, having showered the night before, quickly throwing on some clothes and smoothing back her hair. She didn't have class until noon, but she couldn't stay in her room any longer. She had to get out, try and clear her mind. At least, that's what she told herself, knowing full well it wouldn't work.

She wandered through the campus, heading nowhere in particular. She watched the people around her, students with not a care in the world other than getting to class and what frat party they would go to that night. She wondered what it would be like to be that carefree, that at ease with life. She wondered...

No, she wouldn't allow herself to think of such things, for that was not her life. It did no good to wallow in daydreams that could never be. She had responsibilities that would not permit such things. The weight of the world, she thought grimly. And yet the world just keeps spinning, right here on my shoulders.

She had a job to do, and she would do it. Not just because it was what she was trained for, not just because people would die if she didn't, but because she had a debt to repay. To the Initiative. To Maggie Walsh.

Maggie Walsh had come into Tara's life when she needed her most, when she was scared and lost in the wake of her mother's death. She had been a ship with no compass, and Maggie had given her direction. She had been a lighthouse keeper with no lighthouse to tend, and Maggie had given her purpose. She had been a prisoner of her own life, and Maggie had given her an escape.

Tara thought of her father and brother, who's cruelty had known no bounds after her mother's death. Her mother had been the one thing keeping her family from terrorizing her completely, and when her mother died, that restraint had dissolved entirely. Her father and brother weren't really bad people, she knew, though it was much easier to think of them that way. Truth be told, they were simply as lost and scared as she was, as unhappy with their lives as she had been - it was just that they had a very, very nasty way of dealing with their pain and grief.

At seventeen, Tara had become the matriarch of the family, expected to take over the care of the household - which included the care of the men. She cooked, she cleaned, she sewed, she woke them up in the morning and made sure they were tucked in at night. She was really little more than a slave, and she knew it. Yet she had taken on the responsibility because it had been her duty, because there was no one else to do it. She suffered the emotional abuse and verbal attacks and did as she was told, because her loving heart simply wouldn't allow her to do anything less. And because she didn't have a choice.

And then, one night while walking home from the store, everything had changed. She didn't know it then, but it was her chance at a different life, a better life, and she took it. She had heard the screams, the anguished cries coming from the woods, and she had run towards it instead of away. There, she had found them, two men dressed completely in black, lying unconscious on the ground. A third man struggling in the arms of... something... something large and snarling and very, very hairy had the man pinned to the ground.

Instinct had taken over, and Tara reacted - with magic. In an instant, it was over. The beast lay unmoving, and the third man sat up, gasping for air and staring at her with disbelieving eyes. "Thank you," he had gasped. "You saved us." Tara had shaken her head. No, it wasn't possible. Tara MaClay was a scared, quiet, powerless girl who couldn't stand up to her own father let alone save someone's life.

Yet it was true. She had saved them. She had saved them with magic. And in the process, she had taken the first step to saving herself.

She helped the other two men to their feet, made sure they were going to be okay. They asked her to come with them, said that she needed to be debriefed. That's when she had gotten scared. She didn't know what being debriefed meant, but she knew it would mean she would be very late getting home, which would mean anger and yelling and... and she was already late.

So she had turned and ran, ran all the way home. And she had been right - there had been anger and yelling, and not-so-gentle reminders that she had to be disciplined. "Discipline," her father had said, "is the only thing keeping the demon at bay." Yes, the demon was bad, she had agreed. Yes, the demon needed to be disciplined, she had agreed. Yes, she knew her daddy loved her and was doing this for her own good, she had agreed.

The next morning, while her father and brother were at work, there had been a knock at the door. When she opened it, there had stood Maggie Walsh. Her savior.

Tara looked down at her watch. 8:25. She had been wandering around campus for more than two hours. She stopped and closed her eyes, tilting her head back to feel the early morning sun a little more fully on her face. It was a glorious morning, the air crisp and cool and the sun soft and warm. The contrast was intoxicating, and it soothed her. She inhaled deeply, letting the fresh breeze fill her lungs, and it steadied her.

She opened her eyes and resumed walking, playing over the conversation with Walsh in her head. "You do plan on seeing the Rosenberg girl again, don't you?" Maggie had said. "We need to know what she's capable of. This is exactly the kind of threat I sent you in to investigate."

Willow, Tara thought, a small smile creeping up on her. She reached her hand up to her face, tracing the upward curve of her lips. It intrigued her, the involuntary reaction her body seemed to have any time she thought of the redhead. She wiped the smile from her face and tried again. Willow. Another smile graced her lips. She laughed. It felt good to laugh.

What am I going to do? Tara wondered, guilt and worry pushing out the joy Willow's name had brought to her heart. She didn't want to lie, didn't want to pretend, didn't want to deceive. Not with Willow. Not with anyone, really, but especially not with Willow.

But would it really be so bad? she thought. Willow is a witch. Willow has power. Willow could be a threat. No, that sounded false to Tara. Willow couldn't possibly be a threat. It wasn't in her. What was it Maggie had said about Willow? "She's in one of my classes... Very bright girl, good student. I never would have guessed."

Maggie had been surprised to learn Willow was a witch. Why? Because Willow was bright, a good student? No, that was too simple. Maggie was very well aware that it was the smart ones who could be the biggest threat, their intellect and thirst for knowledge pushing them towards dangerous exploration of the black arts. So why had Maggie been surprised?

Could it be because Maggie had seen a glimpse of what Tara had seen? Because Maggie had witnessed Willow's openness, Willow's compassion? Could Maggie have been surprised because her experience with Willow had shown her that Willow couldn't possibly be a threat?

If so, then why was Maggie so intent on Tara investigating Willow?

You're doing it again, MaClay, Tara chastised herself. Thinking too much. Becoming paranoid. And for what? Because you think Willow's cute? Because you want to date her?

Yet even as she berated herself, she knew better. Even as she belittled what she was already feeling for a girl she barely knew, she knew better. It's because Willow makes you feel alive. Willow makes you feel connected. And for the first time in your life, you don't feel quite so alone.

What am I going to do?

Tara stopped by the campus center to get cup of coffee, hoping a shot of caffeine would clear her brain. Then she shuddered as the headline of the morning paper caught her attention. UC Sunnydale student dies after mysterious neck rupture. Again. Her eyes narrowed and she could actually feel her resolve harden inside her body.

You're going to do your job, MaClay, because if you don't, this is what happens. People die. She knew the student dying because of a vampire attack wasn't her fault, at least not directly. There was an entire group of agents who were supposed to prevent that kind of thing. Yet it chilled, her just the same. It burdened her, just the same. She had the power to keep people from dying, and by the Goddess, that's what she was going to do.

Tara headed towards the literature hall, knowing Willow had an early class there. She would wait for Willow to get out of class, and she would make contact. That was her job. That was her duty. That was her responsibility. And the world just kept spinning.

"Hey, W-Willow."

"Tara," Willow said, a soft smile curving her lips. She had been thinking about the blonde all morning. She didn't know her last name, but she had decided during breakfast that if she didn't see her on campus, she was going to go find her. A little hacking into the school's computer system, and a lot of looking through student files, and Willow knew she'd be able to find Tara.

"H-How is y-your ankle?" Tara asked, once again cursing her stutter. Every time I get around her, she thought. It's like I'm seventeen all over again.

"Oh, it's fine," Willow said dismissively. Truth was it still hurt quite a bit, but she wasn't about to tell Tara that. Somehow she knew the blonde would feel guilty about it, since it was the collision in the hallway that had caused it.

"That's g-good," Tara said. She was relieved to know Willow wasn't still in pain. She couldn't stand it if Willow were in pain.

"So how are you doing, with the whole freaky-monsters-chasing-us-and-wanting-to-cut-our-hearts-out thing?" Willow asked, wincing even as she said the words. Nice one, Rosenberg. Way to bring up a pleasant subject. Hi, how are you, so how 'bout them Gentlemen?

"Oh... uh..." Tara hesitated. I wonder how much she knows? Does she know that there are vampires and demons running around Sunnydale? Should I say something? I mean, if she doesn't know, she should know, right? So she can protect herself?

"I mean, there are plenty of other bizarre things that happen around here... but, but it's not like that happens everyday, you know, with the evil surgeons performing unauthorized, uh, surgery, and running around with, um, escaped mental patients... I mean, hello, they were wearing straight jackets! But... but..."

"Willow," Tara interrupted the redhead's utterly adorable babbling. Willow looked at her with eyes as wide as saucers. "Breathe."

Willow did, letting out a long breath. Then she smiled.

"At l-least they weren't v-vampires," Tara said. Okay, apparently I decided to mention the vampire thing.

Willow stared at Tara in shock. "You, uh... know? About the vampires?" She couldn't believe it. Finally, someone who doesn't chalk up all the vampire attacks as spontaneous neck rupture!

"Well, yeah," Tara said. "It's k-kind of hard to m-miss."

Willow smiled brightly. Probably a little too brightly, but she couldn't help it. Tara smiled back.

"Wow! That's great! I mean, not in a -it's-great-that-there's-blood-sucking-fiends-running-around-Sunnydale kind of way, but in a hey-you-know-what-I-know-and-I-don't-have-to-worry-about-you way," Willow rambled.

"You would w-worry about me?" Tara asked, her heart skipping a little beat.

"Um, well, yeah?" Willow said uncertainly. Way to go, Rosenberg. Let's freak out the pretty blonde completely. Wait a second. Pretty blonde? Where is this coming from? Willow began babbling in order to distract herself from her thoughts.

"I mean, Sunnydale is a dangerous place, and a girl can't just go running around at night by herself, cuz she might as well be running naked through the quad yelling, 'Here vampire, vampire! Look at my nice, long, pulsing neck that's entirely too bitable!'" Oh my God! Did I just say Tara's neck was bitable? "Um... I, uh... like last night! You could have been killed! What were you doing running around campus by yourself like that?"

"Oh, well..." Tara said. "I w-was looking f-for y-you."

"You were there looking for me?" Willow asked, not daring to hope it was true.

"I thought m-maybe we could do a spell. Make people talk again?" Tara covered. Sure, she had wanted to try the spell, but that, of course, wasn't the only reason she had gone searching for Willow. If anything had happened to you... Tara thought. "I-I'd seen you in the, the group. The W-Wicca group? You were... you were different than them. I mean, they didn't seem to know..."

"What they were talking about?" Willow finished for Tara with a laugh.

Tara grinned. "I think if they saw a w-witch they would, um, run the other way." Well, Miss Woman Power Shrine didn't exactly run away, but I bet she peed her pants, Tara thought wickedly.

"How long have you been practicing?" Willow asked.

"Always. I mean, since I, um, was little," Tara said. She suddenly felt like she wanted to tell the redhead her entire life story. "My... my mom was too. She had a lot of power. Like you."

"Oh. I'm not, I, uh... I don't have much in the way of power," Willow protested. Willow found that she desperately wanted to tell Tara all about Buffy and the Scoobies. She wanted to tell the blonde everything. "Really I mean, most of my potions turn out soup. Besides... spells going array, friends in danger, I'm definitely nothing special."

"No, you are," Tara responded, her voice strong and sure. Tara might not have been certain of much at that moment, but the fact that Willow was special was something she knew with every fiber of her being.

Willow's smile was blinding, as was Tara's when she smiled back.

"So... do you wanna maybe... I don't know... try a spell? Sometime?" Willow asked nervously. Please say yes, please say yes.

"Definitely," Tara said happily. The thought of spending more time with Willow was enough to make Tara do a little happy dance right there in the middle of the commons. The thought that this was a good development in terms of her mission never even crossed her mind. All she could think of was spending time with Willow.

"Cool," Willow responded, breathing a little internal sigh of relief. Then a thought occurred to her. "Hey, I don't even know your last name."

"It's MaClay," Tara said softly.

Tara MaClay. Willow rolled the name around in her head. What a lovely name, she thought.

Maggie Walsh flipped through the report again. Agent Riley Finn had given it to her that morning, and it confirmed her worst fear. And her greatest hope.

Buffy Summers was the Slayer.

She had suspected as much when Riley had reported to her the night before. He had told her of his encounter with what she now knew were the Gentlemen - fairy tale monsters, of all things. He had also told her about seeing Buffy there. Well, more than seeing Buffy - fighting alongside Buffy, watching her kill the monsters with speed and agility like he had never seen before. She had strength like ten of the Initiative's best soldiers combined, he had said.

Walsh had her suspicions then, but she needed confirmation. She advised Riley to go back and talk to Buffy, to find out what she was. He, of course, was only too happy to oblige. Buffy was, after all, his girlfriend, and he was worried about her. Convenient how that worked out, Walsh thought.

No, the fact that Riley and Buffy were dating was not something she had encouraged, having thought Buffy was a mindless twit who's only concern in life was fashion. But now... it turned out Agent Riley Finn was dating Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It would certainly make it easier for Walsh to keep tabs on the Slayer, now that she knew who Buffy was.

To Riley, of course, it would seem like nothing more than his concerned commander's interest in his happiness. Yet Walsh would be able to use Riley's relationship with Buffy to her advantage, without Riley even having a clue. Then there was the matter of Willow Rosenberg.

Buffy Summers was the Slayer - and Willow Rosenberg, the witch, was her friend.

Coincidence? Walsh knew better. There was no way those two girls could not know about each other's powers. Thus, Walsh concluded, they must be working together. On her own, Willow bore watching. Add her relationship with the Slayer, and Willow demanded it.

The Slayer and the witch. A very powerful witch. Tara hadn't said so directly, but Walsh knew. She pursed her lips as she thought about her best student. Tara MaClay was Walsh's greatest resource. Strong, powerful, dedicated, compassionate. Yet all those qualities also could one day make Tara dangerous to her. Yes, Walsh would have to keep Tara on a tight leash, making sure to play on Tara's greatest weakness - her lack of self-worth.

Tara was amazingly confident on the outside, but on the inside... her father and brother had done quite a number on her. Truth was, Walsh liked Tara, a lot. In a way she had become something of a surrogate mother to Tara after she joined the Initiative. She had spent months building Tara back up, showing her how strong she really was, how special.

Yet Walsh knew at the very core, no matter how hard Tara had worked and no matter how far she had come, she was still extremely insecure. Tara was most deeply insecure with those who she was closest to, which in the last two years had only been Walsh and... Sarah. But Sarah was long gone, and what was important to Walsh was that Tara, for all her remarkable traits, had a weakness. A weakness Walsh could use, and had used, to her advantage. Tara's insecurity kept her loyal, ever mindful of her duty to the Initiative, and to Walsh.

Walsh smiled. Now there was the matter of Willow Rosenberg. Walsh knew that Tara had felt a connection with Willow, and that pleased her in a way. It also made her nervous. Walsh didn't know what Willow's proclivities were, but she knew Tara's. There was a good chance that Tara would fall for Willow, if she hadn't already started to fall for her. Which was good and bad. Good, because it would mean Tara would want to stay close to Willow. Bad, because... well, Walsh knew from Tara's relationship with Sarah just how intensely loyal Tara could be to someone she loved. Yet Sarah had burned her, and now the only person Tara had any loyalty to was Walsh.

Yes, she would definitely have to keep Tara on a tight leash. Otherwise, Tara might become a liability far sooner than Walsh had hoped, which would be unfortunate.

TBC with Part 5: Objects In Motion

"I feel like someone ran me down with a car, and then got out to give me a really great pair of shoes." - sassyeggsglobal

Post subject: Re: Part 4
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:33 pm 
Maggie is giving me the creeps like she always has. :rage

Tara: My heart doesn't stutter.

Tara: Willow, I got so lost.
Willow: I found you. I will always find you.

Willow: Hi, um Tara. I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:04 pm 
Ok, so it's been a big night for me and I'm making with my second post ever. Fun stuff I tell ya. As others have intimated, your Maggie/Tara relationship has me quite fascinated and just a little bit nervous (but we need that, right?). Also, I'm thoroughly enjoying Tara's internal dialogue. It's been a pleasure to read.

Mack

*have you ever read something you wrote and thought 'what the hell was I thinking?' The dialogue statement kills me. I had to leave it as proof of my stupidity and a reminder to proof read-even comments. M

Edited by: Macky77 at: 9/21/02 12:59:21 pm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:14 am 
Hmmm, so at first I was thinking maybe Maggie wasn't completely bad, but now, not so sure. Glad to see the relationship forming, the bond beginning, but it just doesn't seem to bode well for our girls.

-------
"Yeah, 'tis the season. Whatever that means." Amends
Insist upon yourself and never imitate. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:52 am 
that bitch, walsh, " proclivities" what a nasty word. She's so fun to hate.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
Tara and Willow

Accept NO subsitutes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:43 am 
Interesting to get more information about Tara's past, particularly how she managed to meet up with Maggie. She obviously has respect for her, whether its misplaced or not remains to be seen.

Okay, apparently I decided to mention the vampire thing. I love that Tara's instincts are telling her to trust Willow.

Great how you incorporated the conversation at the end of Hush in here. It worked really well.

Okay, didn't have to wait long to see that Walsh is as manipulative as ever!

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

Post subject: Feedback part 4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:31 am 
Hey!

Love your new fic! :)

Hate Maggie Walsh! :rage

Hope her fate will be the same as in the Buffy-verse :evil

And I agree, the dialogue from "Hush" fits in perfectly! :)

More soon s'il te plaît! :bounce

Post subject: Re: Feedback part 4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:06 am 
:no Too Late!

You have already spoiled us with such a prompt update!

We will most assuredly beg for more soon.

I enjoyed how well you wrote the explanatios about the past, making Walsh good and then showing her true colors :evil .

More?

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me

OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:30 am 
Holy cow, that was great.

I had to laugh at the image of Tara working out; it just made me giggle for a minute; I had the image of her in her Renaissance Fair dress from OMTF but with the punching arms from WAY, and I was giggling.

But then you got profound. I loved this:

Quote:
She had been a ship with no compass, and Maggie had given her direction. She had been a lighthouse keeper with no lighthouse to tend, and Maggie had given her purpose. She had been a prisoner of her own life, and Maggie had given her an escape.

I’m clearly going quotation crazy, but this line also seemed to me so insightful, so deeply understanding of ME’s basic failure with Dark Magic Willow (IMHO):

Quote:
Could it be because Maggie had seen a glimpse of what Tara had seen? Because Maggie had witnessed Willow's openness, Willow's compassion? Could Maggie have been surprised because her experience with Willow had shown her that Willow couldn't possibly be a threat?

That just speaks volumes to me. It’s exactly the contradiction of Willow that we know. And that you clearly know. I love what you’re doing with this story.

Buffy: "Is there something you want to tell me?" Riley: "What? Oh, yes - I am a lesbian."
--"Something Blue"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:44 am 
Oh wow! This fic is really interesting - I can't wait to find out some more about Tara.

Gem

Tara: There's just so much to work through... and can you just be kissing me now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:13 am 
great update :) i like the conversation between Willow and Tara it was sweet. Maggie sure is creepy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:55 pm 
I Like Tara and this Large w/ the butch, commander chick, kickin demon ass thing shes got goin on in this fic!! It very sexy! :drool Ok anyhoo the update was great!! I liked the W/T part! Maggie seems kinda evil to me! She's plotting something isn't she?

Can't wait 4 more!! :)

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.
Tara: I said quirky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 822 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next