The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Leap of Faith (Pathways & Patterns continued)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:34 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Mmmm.... Cookie crumbs. :-D

Patty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:05 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

*pours glasses of soy milk and dunks a cookie*

ANGST ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!! CLIFFHANGER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider yourselves warned.

Here you go Darling Kittens!

Chapter 14

A cool morning breeze drifted into the room, wrapped around the frame of the window and wafted the curtains about. Buffy could smell the scent of wildflowers, thick in the air. Waiting for the coffee to brew, she watched Al sleep on the pull out bed. She didn’t immediately recognize her feelings. There was something so pure about the moment. She had to close her eyes to remember.

She opened her eyes to look at Al and felt a sense of calm. She hadn’t felt such a simple pleasure since becoming a slayer. Her lungs filled with the rich smell of roasted coffee as she poured a tall mug. She wanted to stay in this moment; everything she’d ever hoped to have was resting in the silence of this cabin. She wondered if this was what Willow and Tara felt like every day, and wished there would be more for her in the future.

She propped the curtain behind her and tucked herself against the frame of the open window. She watched. There was no danger, no threat to their existence, just peace, hot coffee and pale blue flowers floating atop tall green stems.

Al turned, feeling the cold empty space that his Slayer left behind. He wanted to look at her face and reassure himself that she was real, that this was real. He was falling for the woman. In his soul, he knew that this was his true path. He sat up to see the brunette lost in thought, staring out of the cabin window. He watched her. He memorized the wrinkle across her brow as she concentrated.

“What’s got you so serious?” He stretched to sit.

She smiled. “I was just thinking.”

His palms fell to the mattress, and the springs tensed with a harsh squeak. “I kinda figured there was thinking involved. I just wondered what the thoughts might be about.”

Buffy sipped her coffee. Her eyes traveled from the steamy rich liquid to the handsome man on the bed. “I’m sure you must have some idea.”

He nodded. “I think I do.”

There was a long silence in the cabin. They didn’t need to say anything to confirm that there was comfort between them.

Al looked at the book wedged on the shelf. “What time should we head out?”

“I was thinking we’d let the kids determine that. I’m sure they’ll want to go fishing this morning.”

“Yum, fish for breakfast.” He swung his legs over the edge of the bed.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile at him. “Nice PJs.”

He rubbed the denim jeans. “You like? I hear they’re all the rage in New York City.” He accentuated his best backwoods twang.

“I always sleep best in my button flies.” She took another sip of coffee.

“Just one more thing we have in common.” He tucked his t-shirt in. “I don’t suppose you’d like to share that hot brew you’ve got there?”

Buffy handed him the mug. “It’s got sugar.”

He wrapped his hand around the mug. “Hot and sweet, my first choice.”

Willow lay sideways across the bed. Her laptop cord stretched across the floor, pinning the pile of papers she’d scattered as she read. She’d typed for hours, logging the details of their dreams. It was easy enough to keep track of her own dreams, as the haunting images were fixed deep in her memory. She was filling in the new dreams her wife and son had shared. It wasn’t making anything clear; it was just raising more questions. As she entered her final thoughts, she realized that her sleep hadn’t been interrupted by nightmares. She wondered if her wife would be as lucky. She turned to watch her lover.

Tara moved through the room, humming as she worked. She felt eyes upon her and stopped and stared at her dress. “What?” She did a simple spin. “Am I wearing some clues?”

Willow shook her head. She loved her wife’s playfulness. “None that I can see.”

“Then, I think you better stop ogling your wife and get back to work.” Tara stuck out her tongue as she walked by the bed.

Willow grabbed Tara’s hand on its backswing and pulled her down. Tara landed atop her lover. “I think I might have to do a more thorough search, with hands and lips and everything.”

“Willow!” The blonde felt two hands moving in opposite directions. “You’ve got work to do.” She pulled away, just far enough to make eye contact.

“I’m doing the hands on part right now, research later.”

Tara gave an angled smile. “Do I have to leave the room to keep you from being distracted?”

“Please don’t.” Willow’s hands stopped. “I’m just very happy to be home.”

“Home isn’t the same without you.” Tara felt the papers crumple as she moved to the surface of their bed. “I’ll stay right here, if you promise to be good and do the research.”

“Perfect.” Willow kissed her lover and rolled back into position in front of the sleeping monitor screen.

In the brief silence, Tara heard a beeping sound. “What’s that?”

“I think it’s Buffy’s cell.”

“I’m just going to check.” The blonde dropped a quick kiss to her wife’s head. “I’ll be right back.”

Tara walked into Buffy’s room. She stared at the huge mechanical bed that her tiny son slept in. She turned to the small clump of bedding that Buffy occupied on the floor beside him. The phone beeped again, this time louder, as Tara stood closer to it. She picked it up from the side table. “Four messages,” the display screen flashed. Tara carried it back to their bedroom. “Honey, why would Buffy leave her cell here?”

Willow rolled her shoulder back, taking her attention from the monitor screen. “I’m sure the signal would suck out there.”

“Maybe. It just seems strange.”

“Maybe she didn’t want it with her.” Willow winked. “Too much of a distraction.”

Tara grinned. “I doubt that was it.”

“Well, it’s not on vibrate anymore, that’s a good thing.” Willow snickered.

“A sign of better times?” Tara shook her head. “Nothing like a long ringer on vibrate.”

“What?” The redhead stared, aghast. “Your ringer is on vibrate? I thought I was all the vibration you’d ever need.” She pouted.

Tara twirled around, a seductive look on her face. “You are sweetie, you absolutely are.” She flipped open the phone and glanced at the caller I.D. displayed through a blue glow. “Dawnie.”

“Dawnie? Can’t say I was expecting that one.” Willow sat up. “She on vibrate, too?”

“I’m not sure. She is a single girl in the big city.” She winked.

Willow shook her head. “Tara!” She scolded her wife.

“No, she called Buffy.”

“Oh.” Willow rolled off the bed. “Let me check something.”

Tara handed her the phone. “What do you think?”

“I’m just going to check her messages.” The redhead typed in the access number.

“You know her password?”

“Well, in my own defense, she’s not a terribly complex woman.” Willow scrolled through the messages. “She’s used the same password for everything, since high school.”

“Really?”

“Come on, baby, she’s easy as pie.”

Tara gave a questioning glance. “Easy as pie? What kind of pie would that be?”

Willow giggled. “Alpple pie.”

“Oh, sweetie. That’s just bad. Bad… bad… bad.” Tara shook her head.

“Al-pple pie, c’mon, that’s great stuff.” Willow smiled.

“That’s not.” Tara watched her wife’s grin fade. “What does it say?”

“Oh, you diss me and then you want the goss?”

“Did you just say dis and goss?” Tara’s feigned seriousness. “What is the matter with you?” The blonde swished the hair from her wife’s forehead, holding her hand in place. “You don’t feel hot.”

Willow grabbed her hand, sliding it down to her chest. “Feel anything yet?” Her tongue pressed playfully between her teeth.

“Feels like a distraction.” The blonde pulled her hand away, quickly sweeping it across her forehead. “You’ve still got it, sweetie.”

“Darn tootin’.” Willow smiled.

“So, Mrs. Hot and Heavy, care to share what the mini Summers sister wants?”

“Hot and Heavy, eh?” the redhead boasted.

“Don’t let it go to your gorgeous head.” Tara pointed to the cell phone. “Dawnie?”

“Oh, right. She’s coming for a visit. It says she’s tired of the silence.”

“Really?”

“Did you know there was silence?” Willow tapped the phone in her hand. “I didn’t know there was silence.”

“Well, Buffy has been a little busy lately.”

“I’d say.”

“Can you put on another one?”

Abbey dangled her pole off the edge of the pier. “No, I just put one on.” She looked at her little brother sitting beside her, and tugged the strap of his life vest. “You have to learn to do it by yourself, Patrick.”

The pier was fifteen feet from the edge of the river. The family had fished from the spot many times and always managed to catch a feast of fish.

“No, he doesn’t.” Buffy grabbed the tip of his fishing pole. “Be careful. I’ve got it.”

“Don’t hurt it, Aunt Buffy.”

“It won’t feel anything, Patrick. They don’t have feelings,” Al said, digging a worm from the small pail of soil.

“How do you know?” Abbey stared at the tall silhouette of the man. “Everything has feelings.”

“Not everything,” Al replied.

Patrick turned toward the Slayer, tugging the end of the fishing pole.

“Ouch.” Al wiped blood from his finger. “Hold the pole still, Patrick. The hook is sharp.”

“Imagine how the worm feels.” Buffy smirked.

“It’s a worm. They don’t feel the way humans do.”

Abbey interrupted. “They have a nervous system.”

Buffy turned her head back toward the little blonde. “They do?” She held a worm in the palm of her hand, poking it as it squiggled. “Where?”

“It runs along the inside.” Abbey pointed toward the wiggly thing in Buffy’s palm. She looked up at the Slayer and smiled a knowing smile, enjoying the payoff of her bookish behavior. “They are boys and girls, too.”

“Stop it, they are not.” Buffy flipped the worm back into the can.

Al argued. “No, she’s right, Buffy. They’re hermaphroditic.” He wiped the worm squirt off his fingers and dropped the hook toward the edge of the pier.

“Hermafrodid what?”

Abbey cast her line out into the stream. The bobber floated into a calm spot between two rocks. She sat in wait. “Hermaphrodite, Aunt Buffy. That’s when something is a girl and a boy. You should know more about where babies come from.” Abbey turned around, giving Al a very innocent look. “You know all of this boy and girl stuff, right, Al?”

He nodded as he tipped his hat back from shadowing his eyes. “Yes, Miss Abbey, I do know all of this boy and girl stuff.” He grinned. “I know heaps of it.”

The little blonde smiled. “Good.” She watched her line tighten as her bobber tugged below the water level. “Maybe you can teach Aunt Buffy some of it?”

“You got a bite!” Patrick threw his pole beside him and scooted near his sister. “Reel it in, Abbey.”

In the heat of the moment, the skinny blonde jerked the pole firm to set the hook, knocking her brother backward. All heads turned toward him.

Patrick tried to catch his balance but the weight of the cast pulled him off the edge. The sound of his voice carried through the trees. The current of the river was calm but his heavy leg caused him to flail. His eyes bulged with terror as he struggled against his useless limbs. “Aunt Buffy.” His tone dripped with desperation.

Al pushed Abbey and Buffy away. Without hesitation he was in the water, swimming after the drifting child. “Patrick, point downstream, I’m coming.”

The child used his arms to rotate his torso. The area they fished in was deep and the rocky riverbed was far from the surface. He tried to find the source of sound. “Al!”

The Slayer raced with the current. Without thought, he captured the child in his arms. “Shit!” He watched the edge of the river bend. “Patrick, I need you to kick as hard as you can. We have to get to the west side of the river before the bend. The current is picking up.”

The little boy kicked with his strong leg. It was a distraction that Al hoped would keep the child focused and brave.

Buffy reached for the tree and grabbed the safety hook. The long extendable pole would help bring her two guys to shore. “Abbey.” The little blonde was right beside her. Buffy cinched the straps on the girl’s life vest. “You stay right beside me. Don’t hesitate when I ask for your help.”

The girl ran beside the Slayer as they raced along the shore. “Where are we going?”

“We’ll try to grab them as they hit the turn in the river. The water gets very rough after that point.” Buffy’s eyes concentrated on the pair in the water. She could feel the terror mirrored in her little guy’s wide eyes. “Al!”

The man signaled, aware of her presence. He watched the woman set herself with the safety pole. Al grabbed hold as they drifted by. Buffy braced her body for the drag of the current. Their eyes met with desperate communication. He realized she couldn’t hold the metal hook for long and he levered himself against the rage of the water. He stood long enough to force the helpless boy into the crooked bend of steel. Buffy’s eyes widened as she felt Al’s weight release. Hand over hand she easily pulled her battered Patty into her arms.

Ashen eyes looked up at her. He shivered against her body. “Abbey, take your brother over there.” She pointed to the open gravel of the driveway. “Get him away from the water and don’t come back.” She slipped out of her coat and wrapped it around the boy. “Go!”

Buffy sprinted immediately after Al. His body disappeared as the water raged harder against the rocks. She lost sight of him as the terrain thickened around her. She looked for a way to get ahead of him but the water moved faster then she could run.

Al fought the tumbling current, reminding himself that he was a good swimmer. It wasn’t enough for the force of nature that began to swallow him. He thought of Buffy as the current sent him deep below the surface.

TBC...........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:13 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Location: Frozen in front of this damn machine, reading fanfic :o)
OOooo, OOooo, OOooo - I get to be first for a change! Now, that said...

*puts hands on hips and taps foot* Alright, missy! I did not slave over a hot oven for 12 minutes (temperature and cooking time may vary, according to your oven) just to get the shit scared outta me! Not nice, Urnie - but I have complete faith that you'll rectify the heavily on the suckage potential of this situation. Al hits very close to home for me, so I'm quite vested in him - take good care of our boy. And while yer at it, some Buffy/AL smoochies wouldn't suck, either. Along with some W/T smoochies, of course. Angsty as it was, thank you for the update.

Oh, and what can i whip up for ya to speed along the next one? :clap

"Green Eyed Monster" by Binky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:04 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Urn of Osiris: Great update, but you are EVIL, I know you warned all of us but you are still EVIL. I really liked Buffy waking up in the morning and feeling all the calmness, very cool. I really loved Willow and Tara and the way that they were teasing each other, but you can't blame either of them, thats just how true love is. I really liked the talk that Abbey, Patrick, Buffy and Al had about the worm, and how Abbey was joking around with Buffy about where babies come from, LOL very funny. I sure hope that Al will be OK, I loved that he jumped in to save Patrick, that was just awesome. I can't wait to read more.

Lonewolf22

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:11 am 
9. Gay Now

Oh Urnie, what a great update!

I love the way that Buffy and Al's relationship is slowly building up and getting stronger. Except he's dead now. :O How could you?!

Nah, your loyal readers know that you'd never kill him off. Especially before he and Buffy do the act of lurve. ;)

I enjoyed the conversation as they were fishing, about the worm... I found that each character's voice comes across very uniquely and strongly here. Nice!

I can't wait to read the next parts. I hope you don't stop writing this story due to the lack of feedback. It's fantastic and you're a great writer.

Mwa!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:06 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Even with the heads-up Sharon that still hurt. Ouch. That was a really nice wake up for Buffy. Serene is the word. I simply love the pace in which Al and Buffy’s relationship is going. There’s a sense of comfort in the way this is going. First you fill me up with all these warm and fuzzy feelings and then I’m left feeling anxious with the way things just got tossed upside down. Buffy leaving her cell behind…hmm, strange. I’m glad Dawn is coming for a visit cause I kinda missed her.

Now with Willow and Tara I love the playfulness of it all. But I can't help but feel like I should be on my toes. Things seem a bit too relaxed but I can’t seem to do that just yet. In the end Willow said it best. “I’m just very happy to be home.” This story will always feel like home to me in a good way. I’ve been there from day one and you’ve written about a lot of stuff that hits close to home for me, but you always manage to bring me back to that warm and fuzzy place that is Home.

Thank you for always coming back to this and for taking the time to listen. I’ll be here waiting patiently for your next update. The pins and needles aren’t so comfy Sharon and Al should come up for air soon. Just a thought. :-D

Patty

Post subject: Re: Leap of Faith
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:22 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Undertheirspell – your baking skills are ever so tempting. My widening ass thanks you! I scared the shit out of you? I guess that says something about the chapter because I fully intended to do that. Hence the warning. :P The suckage will come to pass as I have readied the pen and the next chapter is ready for posting. I think you’ll be happily satisfied once you get through the first few pages. It’s a nail biter. Have no fear, Al is going to survive. I’m pretty sure… *wipes brow* I almost said too much. There will be angst and smoochies for everyone. A little bit of this and that. I’m spreading the love. Thanks for the feedback. I adore it!

Lonewolf22 – I love when I get the EVIL. It makes me smile because I evoked the emotions that I wanted to. I adore these characters and eventually the story will be told. I hate that the updates take so long. I’ve never been quiet about how I hated the canon Buffy. No one can work as hard as that and not learn anything from it. I think my Buffy deserves a little bit of happiness, well after this next chapter. :P Willow and Tara are my constant in this fic, so you’ll always get the playfulness. I just adore writing them. The worm scene is an important one for me. It was the first view of Al being welcomed into Buffy’s very private relationship with the children. I wanted Buffy to extend that comfort she found in the opening scene to the way she cares for Patty and Abbey. It’s important to Buffy to maintain all of the relationships and she’ll juggle that in the future. Now about the river scene. I love Al and creating him was something I always wanted to do. His character is all that Buffy is, with a big dash of testosterone. It is what any person would do in a crisis. I don’t want him to be larger than life, just brave. I hope the scene expressed that. The next chapter is on the way!

Rozy
– Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You make my writing look good. I know it for a fact. Shhhhhh ix-nay on the ed-day… No one is supposed to know that yet.

Act of lurve? You’re gonna write that scene for me right? :P I loved the worm scene and you know how much went into it. They are all becoming part of the love that W/T have.
As promised I will complete this story. I know that so many people enjoy it even though thay don’t leave feedback here. The new stuff is coming very soon. :P You should know. :D

Patty – So sorry if you are permanently traumatized. I’m hoping to redeem myself with the next update. I had hoped the contrasting emotions would have a strong impact. I’m glad that the way it was written worked. I am enjoying the Buffy/ Al relationship and I hope the pace is just right. Dawn is coming soon. I’ve got plans for her to stir up some insecurities. I once got feedback about the “home” idea of my fics. I guess it is true enough. I like to think of them as a family and that wherever they are together they make it their home. I’m so pleased to get such wonderful feedback. I love this story and the world that I’ve written for these characters. To know that you feel the same makes every word worth it.

The update is coming and you’ll soon learn our hero’s fate. It’s a nail biter people! Hold on for the ride.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:13 am 
8. Vixen

Argh, how could I miss this update?!
Another great one of course. Willow is just too cute hehe!
I hope Al will be okay. But maybe he could be a little hurt... then Buffy would have to take care of him... bonding time... :x

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:46 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

WillowRulez - Thanks, you are just in time for the next one. Or maybe you'll be late again in which case it won't really matter. THere will be a slight level of intensity but only briefly. I hope you are enjoying the ride.

Helloooooooooo my devoted readers! Here is the next update for all of you.

When we last left our Hero he was floating lifeless down the river, as our Slayer chased along the shore.

Will he survive?

Will she reach him in time?

Can you stand the suspense?

*dramatic music plays*

And now...

Without further delay....

Disclaimers:

Title: Leap of Faith

Rating: PG maybe pg-13 for a curse word or two.

Archive: Copy, cut, paste I don’t care it’s all for pens readers anyway.

Summary: This fic takes place about a 5 years after Pathways & Patterns. The family is doing what families do...living. It isn't angst free and it has a few twists along the way.

Author’s Note: Some of the events in this fic are serious and it is not my intention to be insensitive to anyone that has lived through similar experiences.

Copyright Disclaimer: Joss and Company owns all the original BTVS characters... blah blah blah

and now..........

*curtain opens*

Chapter 15

Abbey dragged her little brother into the warmth of the sun. She could hear the snapping of twigs as her aunt sprinted along the river’s edge. She wanted to help. She felt her little brother shiver in her arms. “Patrick, I’m gonna try to get you inside.” Abbey tucked her arms beneath his shoulders and hugged him from behind. The cast on his leg doubled his weight. She dragged the boy through the gravel, leaving a trench as a sign that they had been there. They reached the porch of the cabin and used the handrail to climb to the door. The tiny blonde used all her strength to get the boy inside. She wrapped him in a blanket and stoked the embers of the fireplace until it warmed the room. She watched the color rise in Patrick’s face.

Al’s limp body rode the current, drifting lifelessly over the rise and fall of water across the rocks. The river was a rafter’s dream, with the height of raging water. It was a nightmare for the would-be rescuer.

Buffy cursed as the whip of branches slapped against her naked arms. She’d wrapped her jacket around the boy, leaving herself exposed in a tank top. The faster she ran, the further away from the water she became. She wanted to get ahead, and the best she could remember, from the ride to the cabin, was that there was a place to take up rafts and canoes not far downstream. She hoped she could get there in time.

She counted her stride, focusing mechanically on her body’s rush to get to the boat launch. Her arm took the full force of a tree, which imbedded its prickly thorns deep in her arm. She was numb to the pain. She could hear the water again; the rapids were not far and she chanted with hope. “Please be alive. Please be alive.”

Her body broke through the thicket of weeds and trees. She was back along the river’s edge and she could see the launch. There was a rafting company van and a busy group down by the water. She could feel her pulse pounding against her skin. She was petrified at what she was approaching. She knew Al was there, and knew somehow that they’d pulled him from the water.

She heard the counting and watched two men breathing and forcing life back into the man she’d come to love. They were unaware of her presence. She was unaware of her connection to the world. Al was a lifeless shade of blue, soaked through. Her body froze.

His shirt was ripped open. This shocked Buffy back to her senses; she knew he wouldn’t want to be so exposed. She knelt beside him, hyperaware of his lack of pulse.

A third man came running over to them. He carried a box and started to mechanically remove its contents.

Buffy held Al’s cold hand. He felt as far away from her as her mother had on that morning. His eyes were closed and she was grateful, only wanting to see the unclouded spark that lived inside them. He was too cold.

“You have to let go.” The man pulled their hands apart. “I’m sorry, but we can’t help him if you don’t back away.”

Al’s body jerked stiffly. She watched the machine they’d attached to his chest. It was a portable heart machine similar to the one they’d brought in to help her mother. It would bring him back to her.

A voice broke the silence. “Nothing.”

Buffy could hear the sound of the water. She closed her eyes, listening for a heartbeat from inside Al’s chest. She whispered to herself. “Please.”

His body jerked again as the electric current forced through his chest, and the group around him stilled. “Nothing.”

They continued compressing his chest. Buffy pushed in beside them. Al’s mouth was protected by a rubber covering, a safety device invented to prevent the spread of disease in emergencies. She snapped it away from his mouth. Her lips pressed desperately to his as she breathed her own life into him. She hovered over his face. “Come on, baby, please breathe.”

Strong arms forced compressions, waiting for the battery of the machine to recharge. They created a rhythm. Buffy’s lips lifted only so she could watch the rise and fall of his chest. She would not stop. He would come back to her.

“Back up.”

The machine sent a stronger pulse. Buffy’s eyes teared as his body stiffened again.

“Anything?”

Buffy felt for a pulse. She pinched his nose, continuing to share the breathing for them both. She wouldn’t stop. She whispered in his ear, “Please don’t leave me.”

“I’m sorry, lady.”

She looked up at the voice. “NO!” She continued to breathe into Al. “Do it again.” She shoved them away and pushed against Al’s chest. “Make that thing go again.”

He shook his head. “We have to let it charge. We’ve done it three times. It won’t last much longer.”

“I’m not letting him go.” She continued CPR. She remembered everything she’d learned from her mother’s death. All the things she’d done wrong, she was doing right, now. Her body pushed down until she felt her strength and stifled it to protect Al’s ribs. He wouldn’t leave her. She knew he wouldn’t leave her.

“He’s gone, lady.”

“No, he’s not!” She listened to the machine. It signaled its warning tone. She sat back as Al’s body went stiff from the shock.

They all watched the monitor and waited for a response to the final dose of current. It was faint, but his heart was beating in time with the green line on the display.

“Holy shit, he’s got a pulse.”

Buffy turned Al onto his side. The handsome Slayer wretched as his body forced the river’s water out. Again and again, he vomited. Buffy smiled each time she felt him move against her. He was living. He could puke all over her because she knew it meant that she’d be able to hold him, alive.

He rolled onto his back and opened his eyes. He could see Buffy hovering over him and tried to ask about the boy. “P…” He was too weak to form words.

“He’s okay. He’s with Abbey.”

Al closed his eyes, satisfied that his efforts hadn’t been in vain.

“Over and out.” The hand radio buzzed with silence. The women stared at each other in shock. “I’ll get it ready.”

Willow ran out the back door, barking orders at the crew in the stables. She ran through a list of supplies and helped connect the horse trailer to the truck.

Tara ran to Al’s cabin and scavenged clothes and blankets. She wasn’t thinking clearly as she collected them in the bag with Patrick’s things.

“Tara?”

The blonde popped her head out. “I’m coming.” A boot fell to the ground as she ran across the gravel. “Damn it.” She stopped to pick it up. She was frantic with fear and wanted to get to her children as quickly as possible.

Willow held a hand to her wife. “Let me take some.” She took the bag and helped Tara to her feet. “Buffy said they are safe.”

Tara’s hands were shaky as she reached for the car door. “I know.”

Their ride to the cabin was the longest lapse of silence Tara could remember. Willow concentrated on the narrow passes of the drive, carefully ensuring that the horse trailer would clear the old bridge trusses. It seemed like hours to the blonde as her eyes watched the continuous blur of green pass beside them.

They pulled around the front of the cabin. Buffy was waiting to meet them on the porch. “Hey.”

Tara looked through the open door. “Where are they?”

Buffy pushed her hands into her pockets. “Abbey is helping me make lunch and Al and Patty are asleep.”

“What happened?”

Abbey came out the door. “Mom.” She wrapped herself around Willow and held back her tears. It was a relief to have them back together. She felt horrible guilt over knocking her little brother into the water, and the slow motion memories of the hour that followed bubbled to the surface.

Tara dropped beside her child. “Abbey girl.”

Little arms swung around to grip her neck. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt them.”

Tara picked up her daughter and carried her inside. “Shh, baby girl.”

Willow grabbed Buffy and pulled her aside. “What is she talking about?”

Buffy closed the door. “It was an accident.” The Slayer explained in full detail the accident of the afternoon. Willow could understand how her daughter would feel responsible. She was determined to help her understand that accidents happened.

They walked into the cabin. Tara held her daughter as Abigail explained the events of the afternoon. Her version was different: less graphic, more emotional.

Al walked from the room carrying the small boy. Patrick put on a brave face for Willow and Tara.

Buffy took the boy immediately, recognizing Al’s tired appearance. “You should have let me.”

“I’m fine, Buffy.”

“You’re not fine and sit down right now.”

Abbey looked at Al. “I’m sorry you had to go in the water.”

He could sense she needed reassurance. “I’m a good swimmer, little one. Don’t you worry about it one bit.”

“Why don’t we get the truck loaded?” Willow gestured to Buffy.

Al attempted to follow. The slim Slayer pushed him into the chair. “Not you. You’re on full rest. My orders!”

“Kinda bossy?” Tara smiled at Al.

He turned to look at her. “This is nothing. She made me go right to bed.”

Buffy stepped back inside, overhearing the conversation. “If you weren’t who you are, you’d be in the hospital right now.”

Willow covered her mouth and whispered as she passed her wife. "Kinda pants-y if you ask me."

Buffy let the slam of the door drown out his retort. She followed Willow to the back of the trailer. The horse was ready and they loaded it inside.

The redhead kept quiet as she watched her friend secure the huge animal. She was surprised at how comfortable the brunette had become. Buffy closed the doors and latched the lock. “Ready to hit it.” She slipped her hand between the bars on the trailer window, patting the horse’s neck.

Willow sensed Buffy’s mechanical behavior. She was going through the motions and the redhead was worried about her breaking down in front of the children. Her hand moved to turn Buffy around. “How are you holding up?”

Buffy smirked. “Another day, another drama. You know how it goes.” She shrugged her shoulders, avoiding the conversation. The tall cowboy inside the cabin had become part of her life; confessing her fear aloud would make all the feelings real.

“It’s not the same, Buffy. It’s just you and me.” Willow forced the Slayer to look at her. “Talk to me. Tell me what happened out there.”

Buffy turned to lean against the hot steel of the trailer. Her head hung down as she kicked her foot back and forth across the ground. She turned to face Willow and her arm rubbed against a metal rail. She winced as it caught the wound on her arm.

Willow pulled up her sleeve, noticing the cuts in her skin. “What’s this? These look really bad. Buffy?” The wounds covered her shoulder and moved down her bicep.

The Slayer pulled away from the probing. “It’s nothing. They’re just scrapes.”

Willow could see it was more. Each wound, covered in dry blood, was superficial compared to the scars that marred the Slayer’s soul. “Talk to me, Buffy, please. Tell me what happened.”

“It happened so fast, Will. Abbey had a fish and then Patty fell over. Before I could take a breath, Al was in there after him. The current was so strong and I couldn’t get them both.” She hesitated. The events skipped through her mind like a slow motion replay. “Al made sure Patrick was safe. He made sure I could get Patty to shore.” Buffy swiped away tears with the back of her hand. “He let go, Willow. He let go, so that…”

The redhead’s arms reached around the Slayer. “Shh, it’s okay. He’s okay.”

Buffy looked up at her friend. “He drowned.”

“What?” Willow’s eyes widened.

“The current turned him under and washed him through the rapids. I couldn’t get to him. I pulled Patty in and by the time he was safe Al was gone. I couldn’t catch up.” She rubbed the dried blood from her arm. Her hand swiped a wound and snagged on a thorn. She winced. “Damn.”

Willow pulled up her shirtsleeve. “What the hell, Buffy. You didn’t even clean these out.” She pinched a toothpick sized thorn and pulled it from her arm.

Buffy pulled away from Willow. “I wasn’t thinking about it, I guess. The last couple of hours have been a blur.” She looked at her skin. “I think I ran through a thorn patch.”

Willow went to get the first aid kit from the back of the truck. She dropped the tailgate and led Buffy to sit down. “How did you get him out of the river?” She pulled out another thorn that was deeply impaled in the skin.

“I didn’t do it.” Buffy felt weak. “Those guys from Sun country… they… they saw his body. When I got there, he was…” She covered her eyes with her hands.

Willow stepped closer to wrap around and hold the emotional Slayer. “It’s okay, Buffy. He’s safe now.”

“I wasn’t there, Will. If those guys hadn’t been there, waiting for a rafting party, I never would have caught him.”

“You don’t know that, Buffy.” Willow pulled back to look at her friend. She saw raw fear in the woman’s face. “You love him, don’t you?”

The Slayer lifted her eyes and offered a tear-stained nod.

“If feels pretty good, doesn’t it?”

“I almost lost him. That feels horrible.”

Willow let go of her friend and returned to cleaning the arm and shoulder wounds. After so many years of bandaging battle injuries, the redhead was a pro. “It isn’t always horrible, though, is it?” The tip of her tongue poked playfully through her teeth.

Buffy nudged her friend. “Nope, it isn’t.”

They looked up as the front door of the cabin squeaked open. Tara held Abbey’s hand and Al carried the young boy in his arms. Buffy covered her arm and went over to help. “You got him okay?”

The little boy smiled from beneath the cowboy’s hat. “Al says we can go riding again.”

Tara smiled. “We’ll see. First the two of you have to visit the doctor. I want to make sure that you both are alright.”

Willow helped the children buckle into the back seat of the truck.

Al eyed the remaining space. “I think I’ll hop into the back. It’ll give Buffy and the kids more room.”

“I’m not letting you out of my sight.” Buffy reached for his hand. “Patty and Abbey probably want to tell their parents all about our day.”

The children nodded in affirmation.

He felt her squeeze his hand. “You sure you’ll be comfortable enough?”

Buffy grabbed the horse blanket from the truck’s toolbox. “I’ll be perfect.” She climbed into the bed of the truck. With a sharp snap, the blanket puffed and drifted into a soft place to sit. She snuggled in and welcomed the man into her lap.

“You mind?” He motioned for her position. “I think I’d like to hold you instead.”

Buffy acquiesced. “I think I’d like that, too.”

The family buckled in for the ride. Willow looked over her shoulder, waiting for the thumbs up from her slayer passengers. Without effort she pulled the truck and trailer through the yard and out to the road. Tara scooted into the center and wrapped an arm over the seatback, around her wife. Patrick was asleep before they hit the highway and Abigail wasn’t far behind him. It had been a dramatic morning and the weight of it had knocked them both into hard slumber. Willow and Tara welcomed the peace, aware that the conversations to come would be serious, but that they’d help them understand. It was what they did; it was what family did for one another.

Willow glanced back through the rearview mirror. “She’s in love with Al.” She watched as Al raked his fingers through Buffy’s hair. He was tender and her friend was completely relaxed in his arms. Willow couldn’t remember the last time she had seen such peace in Buffy’s smile.

Tara relaxed her head on Willow’s shoulder. “It’s a good thing. I think they are the only two people in the world that could understand how the other feels.”

“Three now.” Willow spoke seriously.

“What?” Tara sat up and looked at her wife.

Willow glanced back to check her mirrors. “He died, Tara. You know what that means.”

“Oh, crap.” The blonde turned around to look at their passengers.

TBC..................

How was that? questions? comments? Anyone... anyone

Post subject: Re: Leap of Faith (updated 10/4)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:21 pm 
9. Gay Now

I said:

Quote:
Except he's dead now. :O How could you?!

Urnie said:

Quote:
Shhhhhh ix-nay on the ed-day… No one is supposed to know that yet.

Oy! I wrote that feedback before I knew! It was a joke, damn it. :P I hadn't read the next chapter yet. *sighs*

Plus you typo-ed on the dead. The fact that the Pig Latin messed with you is no excuse.

Now that I'm done arguing and editing, I can tell you how much I loved this chapter. The parts with Buffy and Willow are just perfect and so in character. I can see Buffy trying to deal with the near loss and holding it in.

The first we see of Willow and Tara in this update is also great. Their shock at the news and rushing off to see their children is sad and real.

Finally, the ending is just adorable! I'm excited to find out about the new Slayer. Uh oh, why do I sense trouble with you as the author?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:40 pm 

Urn of Osiris: Great update, it was a little hard to read for a little bit and I started to get a little worried for a second, but I knew that everything would be just fine in the end. I really LOVED that Buffy was able to open up to Willow and share her feelings for Al, very cool. And I loved how Willow and Tara were there to help everybody and comfort everybody, you're right thats what a family does for each other. I completely forgot about the whole slayer dying and a new one being called, are we going to meet this new slayer and do Al and Buffy realize yet. I can't wait to read more.

Lonewolf22

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:22 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Alright- Al is ok, Buffy's in love with him, and my cable modem finally works - life is fanfuckingtastic! I've been sweating bullets for 5 days-- FIVE DAYS with no internet, wondering if Al was gonna be ok, so I can breathe now. *Whew* :bounce

Good save Urnie (and yer ever-widening ass) :p

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:26 am 
5. Willowhand

First thing's first. You are a incredible writer. I have spent the late 24 hours reading "the Look of Love", "Pathways and Patterns", and of course, this one. :bow

As for this little story, holy crap, it's unbelievible. And I love the fact that the way Al died is the same as Buffy... well, not love like that he died, but that he and Buffy have even more in common. And honestly, I don't find it odd that he was once a woman, and it's so sweet that Buffy doesn't care either. The two slayers in love is just so wonderful, Yay!

But the question remains, who will be the next slayer? Will it be some one we know?....

Can't wait for the next update!

"The Hammer is my Penis," Captain Hammer, 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog.'

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:50 pm 
8. Vixen

Oh crap is the way to put it! Well, not that your update was crap ;) Far from it hehee.
What I loved most that Buffy is being so honest about her feelings for Al.
Who will be the next one?! And when is the next update?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:26 am 
3. Flaming O

Urn of Osiris, I plowed through This Look of Love and Pathways and Patterns, and you have made that journey very worthwhile. I love the way you've taken Willow and Tara and shown us what could have been their very likely, believable, and ultimately happy ending. You write them so well, in a way that allows us to search our own successes and vulnerabilities, our own refuges and fears. Thank you for sharing that talent and allowing us readers that joy.

Now on to feedback of the current storyline.

Is this a revolving door of slayers or what? Who's the next one gonna be? Will they compete for Buffy's affections? (she seems to have this thing for other Slayers I've noticed)

Patrick's leg is a good metaphor for the emotional condition of the Rosenberg clan, both collectively and especially with Tara. There's a saying that you are only as tall as the shoulders you stand on. In this case, he is held up on the very big shoulders of our gals. Not a bad place to be.

Though I usually enjoy Anya's unsubtlety in fics, this is one where she really doesn't belong, because it is an ongoing delicate situation. However, I loved her dream of going all vengeance demon in Pathways.

Thank you also for the extra treats of CBW and now Black Eye. teehee, its always time for smut!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:05 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Bloody hell...another slayer...i wonder if...nah. I mean...nah, it couldn't happen...right. It's just pointless to think that she wil be a slayer.

Right? O_o

Anywho, great story! i''ve been reading it for sometime, sorry about not posting, but i guess i thought that you wouldn't really care that a girl name kytzya was posting about your story.

Never going to make that mistake again.

So, to make it up, i'll write this
looooong ass reply to you.....

Or i can just say that you rawk and that i love how you write.

YOU RAWK AND I LOOOOVE HOW YOU'RE TELLING THIS AWSOME STORY ABOUT W&T!

I got class tomorrow (maldita sea la escuela) so....

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:56 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Pardon my language, but that last chapter was fucken’ fantabulous!

I feel UnderTheirSpell’s modem issues cause I’ve been having them since early September and I finally figured out a nifty little trick to avoid problems with it. I simply curse the hell out of it and throw a fit then I disconnect it completely and sit it in the corner every night. By the next day it works fine as long as I follow all those steps every night and why am I tell you all this? I really don’t know.

On with the FB. Oh god Sharon I really loved this update. Aside from loving Al not being dead I simply loved the way this family rally’s together and supports each other and simply just loves. At the beginning my heart is racing with all the drama with Al and Willow and Tara frantic with not know exactly what happened. Later the conversation between Willow and Buffy was very emotional. I loved it all. I can’t wait to read on and see how all this pans out, especially with the revelation about the potential of a new slayer. I rather not speculate on that yet but I really can’t wait to read more.

Patty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:03 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Helloo Kitten dears! It’s Halloween and I’m super jazzed to begin the November novel writing experience. I’ve prepared the next chapter and my lovely beta has examined it thoroughly. She’s done what she can to make me look good. God(dess) bless her.

As a treat for all of you that enjoy this read, I’m posting the next chapter tomorrow. It’s light and sweet and not too heavy on the drama, something juicy for a Tuesday.

If you have kids, grab their trick or treat bags and have a snack. If you don’t have kids, get to the discount store, all the candy is marked half off. Woohoo!

Before I post, I’ll send me gratitude to all of you that took the time to leave feedback. It makes me want to write faster. My head is so loaded with story and knowing that you are reading forces me to sit down and get it all out.

VIXY! – Only my beta would suggest edits for replies to feedback. I adore you! My English sucks and thus my pig Latin would as well. I’m such an underachiever. Go me! Thank you so much for being patient and working with me on this story. I can’t believe it is taking so long to get it written. I’m glad you have work and a love life to occupy the time between. :P Don’t tell anyone, but I don’t have a new slayer yet. I can tell you that it isn’t an immediate family member. Thanks for all that you do. Good friends are hard to find and a lot of work to keep. You make it so easy!

LONEWOLF22 – It was tough to write the drowning and I wanted it to feel real. I love Al. The character has touched so many readers. I’m as invested in him as I am in the rest of the characters here. He’s not going anywhere. This family is unusual and I think that is so normal. I enjoy writing the Buffy / Al storyline. I’m trying to balance it with the rest of the fic. Prepare for a visit from little sister very soon. She’s not the next in line but she’s got some questions of her own. Thank you for reading and for leaving feedback. It is always wonderful to read and fuels my writing.

Under Their Spell – Yeah for working internet. *shudders at the thought of downed service* I’m not sure I’d know what to do without the internet. I’m happy that you could read the last chapter. Hopefully you’ll be able to read the next one that I post. Oh, wait…will you even be able to read this? *scratches head* It’s making me light headed to think about it. I’ll send my cyber nymphs to make it all better. Do I sound a little :crazy ? I think I do. Perhaps I better stop now. Thanks for reading and for sharing your thoughts and woes. More is coming up very soon.

Missocki – It made me smile to know that you went back to read the prequels to this story. Each time I’ve written them I was driven to tell a story. I adore these characters and I wish I could get it all out of my head at a faster pace. Your feedback is wonderful and I appreciate the time you’ve taken to leave it. I think I said it before in my replies, that I thought Buffy could never fully find an equal unless it was with another slayer. I wanted to write that relationship so much. It seemed to easy to use Faith or even another chosen one. This seemed like the right relationship to explore. It gave me a chance to create a character all my own. That so many readers find him likeable and feel invested in him makes me very happy. The next slayer will be introduced but it will take a bit before that happens. I’m not naming names but I will tell you that it isn’t an immediate family member. Enjoy the next update and welcome to the party.

*Leaves a plate of cookies on the table*

Willowrulez – Crap? *sniffs the air* I’m so glad there isn’t smell to this internet thingy. That would just be so eww. Thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to read the story. I’m enjoying writing it and your comments help fuel the fire. I think it is about time for Buffy to be happy. Of course it’ll have a bit of drama, but she’ll get happiness. Drama with a sprinkle of happy, how’s that? The next slayer will be revealed but not for a while. I’ve got to write a visit from little Dawnie and that should be fun. The next update is on the way. I hope to put it up today so you can all have a Halloween treat. Thanks again for leaving feedback it is always appreciated.

*Puts ice cold milk beside the plate of cookies *

Histchic – Another new reader!!!! *cheers* Welcome to the party. It is always good to welcome new readers. I’m so pleased to hear that you plowed through the first two stories. I enjoyed writing them. All three are significantly different and it was great to explore the relationships. The current story is less about action and more about where we go when things fall apart. I love stretching the idea of what family is and how they all find their place in it. I wouldn’t expect a Buffy/ Al/ ??unknown slayer triangle. Making Buffy interesting is enough of a struggle without introducing that. If I didn’t have Al, I’m not sure I’d have much need for Buffy, aside from the relationship with Patty. His disability has brought them together in ways they didn’t expect. I like that you’ve seen such metaphor in it. Sometimes we all need to give in and be carried, hopefully we have the same strength to help us. I’m not sure that Anya will appear in this fic for the reasons you pointed out. I do have plans for Dawn to make a little trek to the Bennett house.

Kytzya – Thanks for the feedback. I’m always happy to hear what every reader has to say. Well, that is unless you want to say its complete shit and you hate it. I’d prefer not to get that kind of feedback. But yours isn’t even close to that. I’m so happy to say. Thanks and its good to RAWK. I hope you enjoy the next bit and I hope your class went well.

Patty – I’m sensing that you kinda liked the last update. :P I’m seriously concerned about your net situation. No one should have to live without cyber space. I miss our conversations. I’m so happy that you liked this update. It was so hard to write it but as soon as I got beyond the drowning I was okay. Buffy and Al will have to deal with the aftermath. We’ll see what that means for the next in line. I’m glad you experienced that range of emotions. I have no answers about what’s to come except to say that Dawn is about to show up for a visit. I’m not sure that she’s going to love Buffy’s new guy. :D

A special thanks to all of you that take the time to privately share how you feel about this and other stories I’ve written. Your comments are never silly and I appreciate them all. Thank you for every word shared.

The update will be here very soon.

Post subject: Re: Leap of Faith (updated 1 Nov)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:39 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Here it is my friends and I hope you enjoy it.

Previously..........

“He’s gone, lady.”

“No, he’s not!” She listened to the machine. It signaled its warning tone. She sat back as Al’s body went stiff from the shock.

“Holy shit, he’s got a pulse.”

The redhead’s arms reached around the Slayer. “Shh, it’s okay. He’s okay.”

Buffy looked up at her friend. “He drowned.”

“What?” Willow’s eyes widened.

Tara relaxed her head on Willow’s shoulder. “It’s a good thing. I think they are the only two people in the world that could understand how the other feels.”

“Three now.” Willow spoke seriously.

“What?” Tara sat up and looked at her wife.

Willow glanced back to check her mirrors. “He died, Tara. You know what that means.”

“Oh, crap.” The blonde turned around to look at their passengers.

And now.........

Part 16

Willow was running inventory through her mind, sorting the new realities. She understood that her children were physically safe and that once the adrenalin settled they would work through the emotional matters. If there was anything her children knew it was that they were loved, and that the adults in their lives would do anything to protect them.

Her best friend was a Slayer; the one girl in all the world. And this one girl had fallen in love with the other one girl, who was now a guy. Strangely, these facts didn’t bother Willow at all; it was his death and the calling of another that changed the face of this new relationship. This new Chosen One could complicate things even more.

Willow wondered about her son. His seven short years were overflowing with pain, and scratch and claw survival. She worried it would harden him and that he’d find safety in the dark protective anger that Donnie had.

She thought of the scars her daughter wore across her soul. She believed that Abbey was discovering her own strengths far too early in her life. She wanted the pace to slow. She wanted her child to feel safe.

A tender touch met Willow’s temple. “It’s very busy in there today.”

Willow felt the whisper against the delicate skin of her neck. “Yeah, a little.” She held Tara’s hand, flattening the palm to her chest. “It’s busy in here, too.”

Tara closed her eyes, listening to the heartbeat against her palm. It was a familiar sensation that saturated her soul. “I love you.”

The three words swept through Willow with an invigorating force. The terror and insecurities she’d been sorting through disintegrated with the knowledge of that one true thing. “I don’t think I could do any of this without your love.” Willow moved her hand back to the wheel.

“Then I’m glad I told you.” Tara looked forward, smiling. “Since you are the one steering the ship.”

Willow nudged her wife. “That’s not what I meant.”

“I know exactly what you meant, and I understand.” Tara took hold of her wife’s hand. “It’s a bump in the road. We’ll all get through it.”

“I’m sorry that we have to.” Willow squeezed her wife’s fingers. “I know that you are struggling, too. It was hard enough in Sunnydale, now we seem to be getting farther away from serenity.”

“We do, don’t we.” Tara closed her eyes. “I miss that squeaky old swing.”

“I do, too.” They silently processed the revelation. “Should we go back to Sunnydale early?”

Tara considered it. “We have a few things we need to settle first. Don’t you think?” She glanced over her shoulder at their son.

“When’s the social worker coming?” Willow asked.

“Two days,” Tara replied.

Willow signaled to turn off the highway. “You ready for the unprejudiced watchful eye of American justice?”

Tara forced a slight half smile. “When you put it like that, how can I not be?”

“We’ve done enough of these visits. I’m not very worried.”

Tara sat up, turning her body toward her wife. “I’m scared to death, Will.”

The revelation wasn’t a surprise to Willow. She knew her lover carried deep fear of losing the boy. Many nights they lay awake, talking about having an empty room. “I know, I didn’t mean to make light of it. I just can’t think about the negative.” She recognized the expression on Tara’s face.

Tara gave an unconvincing nod. “Nothing negative, right.” Tara looked over her shoulder at the slayers. “How about them?’

Willow looked in the rearview mirror. “That’s something very positive.”

“How’s she handling it?”

Willow smiled. “Look at them.”

Tara turned around. “I see it.”

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so at peace.” Willow hesitated. “After everything that happened today, I’m not sure she’ll be ready to leave him any time soon.”

“That’s going to complicate things.” Tara closed her eyes.

Willow chuckled. “Gets busy in there really fast, doesn’t it?”

“It does.” Tara put her head back on Willow’s shoulder. “You still promise to take me on our trip?”

“When we make it through to the other side of this weird dimension, it’s first class all the way.”

“I’d be happy in coach.”

“I know.” Willow kissed her wife. “And that’s why you deserve first class.”

“Can I ask you something?” Al raked his fingers through Buffy’s hair.

She pulled her head from his shoulder, sitting up against the cab of the truck. “Sure.”

He shifted away, dropping his arms into his lap. “When did it happen to you?”

“When did what happen?” Buffy’s expression became serious.

“When did you…” He hesitated. “I don’t think I can say it. I don’t even want to think it.”

“When did I die?”

Her lack of emotion startled him. “Yeah, what happened?”

“Well, the first time…”

He cut her off. “There was a second?”

“Yep, first time was quick. Face in a pool of water.” Buffy’s shoulders were rigid as the thought of Al’s accident replayed in her head. “Second time was more complicated and I’ll save that story for another day. I’m not sure I can relive it right now.” Her eyes looked for support.

“I can understand that.” He waited for her to continue. “What happens next?”

Buffy didn’t speak. She understood Al’s curiosity. “I’ll call Giles later. He should know you… he should know what… that a new one has been called.”

“So, that’s it? Just like that I’m not the Chosen One anymore?”

She smiled at him. “You aren’t the one. Not anymore.” She patted his thigh. “Sorry, hon, you’re just a regular old super-powered Vampire Slayer.”

“I was just getting accustomed to the whole Chosen One thing.”

Her hand moved smoothly into his, and he liked the way if felt. Silence settled between them as they digested the conversation.

Buffy understood that the accident changed Al’s responsibilities, but she wasn’t ready to discuss them. She allowed herself to think about the future. For the first time since her sixteenth birthday she could see herself as something other than the Chosen One.

Al watched her. He studied the way she disappeared inside her thoughts. She was something he’d never expected, something he wondered if he could ever live up to. She was perfect in his eyes, and that frightened him. He reached around her shoulder and pulled her across his lap.

She leaned against him, letting the moment silence her soul.

They both knew what the quiet meant. It had a screaming voice, but today they’d let it rest. They inwardly agreed to give the other time. Tomorrow would bring more questions and then they’d talk.

Time moved slowly as they watched from the open bed of the truck. Buffy allowed the beauty of the countryside to reach her. She had focused so specifically on Patrick, and his needs, that she’d missed most of the natural wonder around them.

They wouldn’t sort out their future now, not with the wind whipping their hair across their faces. It wasn’t right. This moment was meant to be shared in silence.

They arrived at the Bennett house in time for the evening meal. Willow and Tara brought the children inside before helping Al and Buffy unload the trailer.

Being a Slayer had its benefits; Al felt fit and full of energy. He’d regained his strength and refused to allow the women to tend to the horse. “It’s my job, just let me do it.” He glanced at Buffy. “I’m fine.”

“Six hours ago you weren’t fine. Just let me help.” Buffy unlatched the trailer doors and swung them open.

Al stepped up to remove the harness from the horse. “Damn it.”

“What? Are you hurt?” Buffy panicked.

“No.” He shook his head. “His halter finally gave way.”

“His what, did who?”

He kissed her square on the lips. “If you’re going to be my girl, I think you’ll need to learn some lingo.”

She felt a rush to her extremities. “Your girl?”

“That’s what I said.” He pushed his hat back on his head. “Is it okay?’

“Yeah, I think I like the sound of it.” She leaned against the side of the trailer. “So the lingo?”

“Right, the lingo.” He focused on the horse. “There is a lot of it. I’m sure you’ll catch on.”

“Lesson one is that?” She pointed to the halter. “You can fix that?”

He winked. “Oh, I can fix just about anything. I brought everything I though I might need, for whatever might come up, and I’d say that something is up.”

“Up?” She looked for a toolbox or kit. “And where is this thing we might need?”

“It’s in the saddlebag.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. “We’re going to use that thing I saw? We’re going to use it now, right here?”

“I can’t think of a better place. You said you were ready for your first lesson.”

She hesitated. “I can be ready, I guess.”

“Would you mind getting the saddlebag?”

Buffy’s cheeks flushed. She pictured the contents. Al was a confident guy, but was this really moving so quickly? They’d never talked about sex or even discussed how things would happen. She was anxious. With each step to the cab of the truck, she bit on the side of her lip. She draped the bag over her shoulder and wondered; was he that turned on? Could they do it right there in the trailer? Could she do it with two tons of horse staring at her? There was a list of things she’d never considered and thoughts were on overdrive.

She lingered in the doorway, and watched Al drop something to the floor. “Thanks, Buffy.” He took the bag off her shoulder and draped it over the railing. He unfastened the pocket, flipped back the flap and pulled out the coils of leather and metal.

Buffy couldn’t stand the ease at which Al was moving. “We can’t, Al. I’m not sure I know…”

“Come here. I’ll show you what to do.” He held her with a gentle touch, and placed the strips of leather in her hands. “It’s very easy to do. You just slide it over the head and fasten it behind…”

Buffy stopped. “How can you be so casual?” She squeezed the leather straps in her hands. “I’ve never done this. I’m scared and you’re acting like you do this every day.”

“I do.” Al emptied the woman’s hands. “I do this at least 20 times a day.” He turned his back to her. He didn’t think she was still so hesitant around horses. He thought she’d overcome that hurdle. “Watch.” His hands went up to the horse’s face. The halter fit perfectly around the animal. He buckled it and tugged to check the fit. “Just like that.” He turned around to look at her and was surprised to see the tears running down her cheeks. He didn’t understand. “Buffy? What is it?”

“That!” She pointed to the halter. “I thought it was for something else.”

He took off his hat and swiped his forehead across his arm. “Something else?” He put it on Buffy’s head, and pulled a bandana from his pocket. With a steady, yet tender hand, he wiped the tears from her cheeks. “What did you think? I don’t understand.”

The Slayer’s cheeks reddened with embarrassment. Her hands came up to cover her face. “I can’t say it. It’s so dumb I can’t even think I was thinking it.”

He pushed the fabric back into his pocket. “I made you cry, Buffy. I can’t forget it.” He pulled her fingers away from her face. “Trust me. Tell me what scared you.”

When her hands dropped, her cheeks were bright crimson, and her forehead beaded with perspiration. “I thought it was adults only.” Her hands went right back to her face.

He pulled them down to her sides, resting his hands on top. “It is, but only because I don’t want the kids to think they can play with the tack. The wrong loose buckle and everything falls apart; butts slide out of saddles and feet fly out of stirrups.”

She whined and shook her head. “Al, I can’t say it. It’s too embarrassing. I thought it was adults only, like that shop where Willow buys her crayons.””

He looked back and forth between the woman and the harness. He still didn’t understand. “Just tell me. It can’t be that bad.”

Buffy put her hands on her hips. She opened her fingers to draw a make believe strap around her waist. Al watched with wide eyes as she continued to mime her explanation.

He reached to stop her, understanding everything he’d just missed. “Buffy.”

She looked up beyond the brim of the hat, into the glassy reflection of his eyes. It was the safest place she’d ever seen.

“That’s not it.” He wanted to smile at her doe-eyed expression, so innocent and vulnerable. “It’s tack. Everything in the saddle bag was for the horse.” He positioned them in front of the satchel, then reached inside and removed the contents. With detail, he shared each item and how it was used for riding. He explained how he preferred the natural feel of leather and that it was all he liked to use. It broke the tension and made Buffy smile.

She leaned back against the wall of the trailer. “I’m sorry, I was so dumb.”

He stepped in front of her. “You weren’t any such thing.” He held her hands to his heart. He waited the long moment until Buffy looked into his eyes. He kissed the back of each hand before bringing them up beside Buffy’s head. His face moved closer, a whisper away from hers. Their bodies pressed together. Buffy could feel her back against the sun-warmed steel.

The hat on her head tipped as it brushed against the wall. His leg parted hers with excitement. “Just so you know, for future reference...” His lips lingered before he kissed her, a new confidence fueling the intensity. He leaned back, watching her lips, longing for more.

Cheek to cheek he whispered in her ear, “I don’t require attachments.” He pulled away to watch her reaction. Buffy’s wide eyes encouraged him. His lips pressed again, this time his mouth opened and his tongue searched for hers. He could hear her pulse; feel the force of anticipation. He lightened the kiss, turning his head to whisper, “And neither will you.”

Buffy’s eyes opened and an audible gulp escaped her throat. Before she could speak, their bodies separated and she was alone. Al led the horse out, never looking back over his shoulder. She liked his confidence and more specifically she liked that it didn’t come at the expense of her own. Being with him felt balanced, and that satisfied her most of all.

Al passed Willow. “Crayons, huh?”

Willow spun around. “What?”

“It’s nothing. Just something Buffy mentioned.” He led the horse into the barn.

Willow came around the back, closing the trailer door. She noticed Buffy still plastered in her position against the wall. “I guess I don’t have to guess what you’ve been doing?”

“Will. Oh my god, Will.” Buffy concentrated on the weakness of the muscles in her thighs.

“That good?” Willow pointed to the hat on her friend’s head. “You’ve got a little cowboy on ya.”

Buffy wiped the corners of her mouth. “I’d like to have a little more.”

“Buffy Summers? If I didn’t know you better, I’d think you were smitten.”

The Slayer smiled. “I was just getting a little lesson.” She adjusted Al’s hat on her head.

“Learning the lingo?” Willow teased.

Buffy turned towards her friend, a look of surprise on her face. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I think you do.” Willow felt the playful sting of the Slayer slapping her arm. “Ow.”

“You deserved it.”

“Did not.”

“Did too.”

“Did not.”

Tara came out the back door, catching the women in their battle of wills. She stopped, placing her hands on her hips. “It sounds like you’re back in college.”

Willow pouted. “Buffy’s using slayer strength to abuse me.” She rubbed her arm.

“You big baby,” Buffy teased.

Willow felt the playful sting of the Slayer’s backhand against her shoulder. “See, she can’t take a little harmless teasing without becoming violent.”

Tara looked at her wife. “Harmless teasing about what?” Her attention volleyed between the two.

“Learning about horses.” Buffy crossed her arms as Willow replied simultaneously.

“Learning Al’s lingo.” Willow winked at her wife, dodging the Slayer’s next swing.

“Lingo? I see.” Tara stood between her friends. “Sweetie, I think that all of us have benefited from learning Al’s lingo.”

Buffy and Willow stared in shock at Tara, her innocent mediation misinterpreted by both.

“Al taught you lingo?” Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“Tara, I don’t think you or I have benefited from this particular dialect of lingo.” Willow winked and bit her words through cracked lips. “If you know what I mean. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.”

Buffy pulled back to smack her friend again.

“Don’t make me go Wicca on your ass.” Willow glared as she rubbed her sore arms. She sidestepped to stand behind Tara. “Tell her, baby.”

Tara waved her hands. “Don’t put me in the middle. You pick a fight, you better be prepared for the battle.” She directed the comment to both of them, then stared at her wife. “She’s a Vampire Slayer, for crying out loud.”

Willow stuck her tongue out at Buffy. “I’m a lover, not a fighter.”

Buffy pursed her lips. “Pfft, give me a break.”

Willow crossed her arms. “I am.”

“I guess I’ll just have to take your word on that one.” The Slayer walked away, declaring victory over Willow. “I’ve got a date with a cowboy.”

Willow’s lip twitched. “You could have given me some help.”

“Do you really think Buffy isn’t aware that you’re a good lover?” Tara spun on her heels and walked to the house.

Willow chased after her. “It doesn’t matter what she thinks. It matters what she thinks you think.” She pointed her finger at Tara.

Tara’s eyes brightened and her expression lifted into a stunning half smile. “I think you’re an amazing lover.”

“Oh, sure, say it now when we’re the only ones listening.” She watched her wife turn to face her from the top of the steps.

Tara cupped her hands around her mouth and yelled toward the open barn. “Willow Rosenberg is an amazing lover.”

Willow stopped, her eyes wide with surprise. She looked around the yard, watching the employees pause and smile and return to their chores.

Her face was as bright as her hair and she jumped up the stairs, clamping her hand across Tara’s lips before another proclamation could escape.

“What’s the matter?” Tara’s voice was muffled by her wife’s hand.

Willow pulled it away, pointing a finger. “Behave!”

“I thought you wanted me to proclaim your talents?” Tara held her wife in her arms, linking her hands behind Willow’s back.

“To Buffy, not the entire ranch.”

Tara laughed. “Next time you better clarify the rules of the game before you involve me in it.” She planted a chaste kiss on Willow’s forehead.

“That’s all I get?” Willow turned her face away, feeling Tara’s arms tighten as her resistance increased. “Tell the world I’m this super lover and then kiss me like I’m someone’s grandma?”

“Grandma?” Tara began to walk them toward the side of the house.

As Willow’s back touched the rippled siding, she felt Tara’s lips against hers. Her legs went weak.

Tara held her wife tighter. She pulled away, watching Willow react to her kiss. She waited for her response.

“What delicious lips you have,” Willow said.

Tara opened the door, pleased with herself. She pushed her red riding hood against the window trim and leant forward. “The better to kiss you with, my dear.”

Willow smiled, as the screen door knocked against the house. “You better believe it, Mrs. Rosenberg.”

TBC.............................

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:10 am 
10. Troll Hammer

DIBS!!!!!

:bounce :bounce

ces

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:44 pm 
2. Floating Rose

:bounce :applause :clap :-D :wtkiss

*smirk* Buffy's got a little cowboy on her, indeed. And as for the liking a bit more...wellllllllllllll, I have a feeling she won't have to wait toooo terribly long for that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:41 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Urn
Good to see a continuation of this great fic. I'm enjoying the change of setting and the interaction of the characters, new and canon. Al as a lover for Buffy and also a Slayer, not to mention the rapid progress to his temporary death ensuring another Chosen One can take on the responsibility, is something of a stretch, but what a twist! Certainly didn't see that one coming.
Now if this stuffy Social Services person gives them the ok, and Patty's legs get better, they can all LHEA. Ihope they do get to adopt him, the kid deserves a break.
Thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:55 am 

Urn of Osiris: Great update, I really LOVED, Willow and Tara talking in the truck, it was SOOOOOOOO GREAT to hear Willow tell Tara that she couldn't do any of this without her love, just great. I really liked the talk that Al and Buffy had in the back of the truck, that was really cool. I especially liked Buffy being confused about the contents in the saddlebags, thinking they were for sex LOL, that was too FUNNY. I can't imagine how embarrassed she must be. I also really liked the way that Tara was teasing Willow, and how Tara just yells to the whole staff that Willow is a great lover, that was too good. I can't wait to read more.

Lonewolf22

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:32 pm 
8. Vixen

No surprise: I LOVED IT!
Willow and Tara are too cute and a Buffster in love has to be one of the best things ever. Not to sound like I am repeating myself but what I really like is Buffy falling for Al instead of writing Faith into the story or so for her (not that I dont like stories with them together but i appreciate your original idea).
Btw, drama with a sprinkle of happy? How about the other way around ;)?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 pm 
9. Gay Now

Hey cumquat,

Loved the update!!!

This was the swooniest line:

Quote:
“I’d be happy in coach.”

“I know.” Willow kissed her wife. “And that’s why you deserve first class.”

Awwwwww!

I felt sorry for Buffy and her dumb mistake. I'm looking forward to them getting it on. Enjoy the research!

I love this fic and am enjoying the direction (angst) that you're taking it in. You rock!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:33 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Another great chapter Sharon. You even had me blushing during Buffy’s misunderstanding about the saddlebag’s contents. I admit my mind was in the gutter as well with what I assumed was in the saddlebag but that’s your fault. I’m putting all the blame on you for my naughty thoughts. :blush

Everything seems to be moving along well. Everyone is back home safe and sound. Sure everyone could use some hugs and extra lovin’ considering what happened not that long ago in the river. Hell I could use some hugs and lovin’ cause that was harsh. It’s really nice to see things moving along nicely even though there have been some rough patches here and there. This is what I love about this trilogy of yours. That its full of all that good stuff like W/T still together and going strong, Patrick getting stronger each day, Abbey growing up to be a wonderful big sister and daughter and finally Buffy finding true love perhaps, but it also has the perfect mix of life’s harsher lessons. I’m glad this story dared to be different in many ways and that it still continues to Rock. Hard. :clap :dance

Well I look forward to reading more of course. My internet woes continue, but hopefully they will be resolved soon and I can get back to having one less thing to worry about. I miss our conversations as well and I look forward to continue them soon. Hopefully.

Patty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:36 pm 
8. Vixen

I am bumping this thread intentionally!
Over the last week(s) I re-read the whole series at your yahoo group (btw... might it be that you dont have all the chapters up there? :P) and I gotta say I love it even more now. The first two pieces were so fluffy that I had almost forgotten what 'horror' would come in the next installment. At first I thought I should only read the first two but you write your characters so amazingly well that I couldnt stop. And I am glad I didnt... but now I really want an update!!
P.S.: You made me cry again too. Patrick and Tara's conversation and especially the one with Willow confessing her fears of becoming her mom. A lil angst is always good. :x

Last edited by WillowRulez on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 am 
2. Floating Rose

I'm with Willowrulez on this one- let's just bump the hell outta this thread until Urnie realizes that we love and miss her, even if (in my case, at least) real life prevents us from saying it very often. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE up date soon Urnie.
OH! I know!!!! Imma go on a sex-strike...no - my wife'd divorce me.

Ummmm - a hunger strike! Yeah! Wait- eating's kinda essential to be ALIVE to read an update. Shit.

*Thinking*

I got it! I'm going on a work strike! That's the ticket!
So now Urnie is gonna be responsible for my destitution and homelessness if she doesn't update soon. I mean, sure I have a little squirreled away for a rainy day and such, but it ain't gonna last forever, ya know!

So....that said, from this moment forward, i'm gonna sit on my ass until I hear something from Urnie. (But hurry, cuz i'm up for a promotion at work, and habitual not-being-thereness might possibly affect my chances. M'kay?)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:01 am 

I am 100% with you guys about bumping this thread up, I really, really miss this fic, I know Urn is busy and that real life sucks but I just miss this fic soooooooooo much(sorry about repeating, kinda a bad habit).

So Urn if you're out there we miss you.

Lonewolf22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hello to all of you. It was a wonderful surprise to see my story back on page one. It is also a reminder that I have abandoned the space. I took time off during the month of November to join the nanowrimo challenge. It was an amazing experience and took me as far from fic writing as possible. I have to admit that I find it hard to return to this story. I do have one chapter that I wrote before the challenge and I will put that up as soon as I pay my beta in american cookies and beg her to edit out all of my horrible errors. She has returned to the world of higher education and I dare say it might take a bit of time for her to get to it. (the editing that is) :P

I'll have to take a few days to search my head for the rest of this story. I remember there was a scene with chocolate sauce and there might have been a bitch slapping session. *scratches head* Oh wait, that was my holiday vacation. See, it might take a few days. I will do my best to bring things together. I know that there are a few of you out there that provide kind and encouraging words. I appreciate all of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next