The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cataclysm Cafe - The Viewing Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:38 pm 
LeatherQueen…Now did you say I had a fetish for the bizarre…or a bizarre fetish? Either way…I’m very glad you liked the last three. This next one is going to be a strange ride. Go up to the bar…order a triple mocha…and get cozy.

Dekalog…Too many commercials? Well we all have to have our sponsors or we would never get our stuff on the air…right? By the way…do you want to sponsor me? Cookies and chocolate are welcome…but we currently need coffee in 1s and 5s (that’s pounds…ground…)

Grimlock72…What??? You think I’m referring to any specific kind of candle? Maybe one with considerable flammage? Nope. Have no idea what you’re talking about. Not a clue.

Barnabasvamp…Again about the rapid-fire commercials…sponsor me up with coffee and you will see the commercials virtually disappear…(okay…that’s a big fat lie…they are totally saving my butt so I can do other things like work and eat and roast marshmallows)

Mollyig… Yes…I have a personal little spot in my heart for Tustin…He’s definitely not based on anyone I know…ANYONE….

( …and Justin…if you’re reading this…just because you gargled milk in front of the fridge does not make the gross…disgusting….barbaric fiend…anything like YOU…scout’s honor…okay I’m not a scout…so I suppose my honor’s in question…sigh…It always is…)

NewRuthRising… I bow if I amused you. I blush if I amazed you…and I weep copiously if I scared you. Unless the creaky old house scared you…which was kind the point (though it was meant to be more comically scary than creepy crawly scary… Either way…thank you for the words of encouragement.

Tkheaven… extra thick….(snorffle) You should really suggest the key chain thing to your GF…that or a handy flip-down visor for the car… because sometimes commuting is boring and <>…holy gosh! There it is!…loads of fun…

Ange04…My brain has not been affected by the water, food, nor air. It actually a science project…constructed by a 7th Grade Gate student. I’m actually not a human being but a giant computer tower bleeping and sputtering…and solving global problems like war and famine…and the next episodic installments of Cataclysm Café and the Late Shift ( all at once because I can multi-task like no one’s business.)

jaycatt23...I'll see if the computer wants to work up a commercial...sounds fun!

And now.....

Channel 7: The Futopia Channel

Pilot Episode of: Fear the Light (previously titled RED RAVEN)

Premise: In the gritty and uncertain future where vampires are not the stuff of myths and legends…a band of unlikely heroes will find themselves pitted against an unfathomable force of evil…

Tuesday 11:35 P.M.

Rupert Thurman felt old.

Not because he was barely three weeks away from retirement, and woke up each morning with aches and pains that were steadily growing familiar to him… but because he was tired. Thurman was tired of scenes like this. Tired of never "getting used" to the grisly scenes like this one before him. Tired of having to wonder what kind of sick son of a bitch could find it in his heart to kill ANYONE, let alone a peach-faced girl with everything ahead of her, and not a care in the world.

Of course this one was far beyond caring now.

Thurman brushed his hands over the blazer he wore, and silently cursed himself for having given up smoking for the thousandth time this past four years. Since the murders began...or at least since they had really begun to pick up momentum.

Thurman stood over the pale and lifeless form of Gloria Merry. He tried to ignore the already milling crowd of onlookers on the street. He tried to concentrate on Karen, at the same time trying not to think about the vibrant life that had left her. The fact that no parent should ever have to hear that their daughter was found like this...pale, and thin, and tangled up in a bed of garbage in an alley not ten blocks from her own house.

Seventeen. The thought made Thurman ill...but he kept his face stoic and took a flashlight off of the nearest uniformed cop to shine it in the direction of the girl.

<>

The scene photographer had already begun popping off shots, and the light made him blink a few times. He beckoned over a younger detective, Taryn Mackenzie, with a barely perceptible motion. Taryn, a fresh-faced young woman in her early thirties, with slight features and piercing blue eyes, squatted down beside Thurman, hands on knees.

" You need something?" Taryn asked, trying to keep her expression void of emotion as she perused the body of the teen though it was obviously disturbing her.

"Have them bag and tag everything when the shots are done. I don't want a candy wrapper left in this place." Thurman said, trying to look at Taryn and acknowledge the dead girl at the same time. One thing Thurman never did was disrespect the dead.

Thurman did take a moment to look around him though. Taryn noticed the way his head suddenly came up, and he looked past her as though someone had called his name.

Almost on cue, the streetlights in the alley flickered precariously and then winked out…leaving them in a considerably more dusky lighting, save for the headlights of the cruisers parked in the alley entry.

When Taryn followed the larger man's gaze down the alley, she caught movement near the far wall of the blind alley. A lighter flickered… and the only thing Taryn could make out was the glint of the firelight reflected in twin lenses of a pair of sunglasses…and a glint of red hair.

Sunglasses at night.

Who in the hell wore sunglasses at night...in a dark alley that was supposed to be cleared of everyone right now?

The lighter clicked shut, and a small ember of a burning cigarette floated in the virtual darkness. Only the diffused lights of the police cruisers on the street glinted off the lenses now...the face still hanging precariously in the shadows.

" Sir..." Taryn said, starting to come to her feet. Thurman took his forearm to still her.

" I'll handle this. Stay here." He said in a gruff voice. He pushed himself to standing, and walked, in a manner that implied he was not in the least bit surprised or scared of their visitor.

Thurman was glad. So glad, in fact, that he resisted an outright grin as he walked down the dark alleyway and stopped a good three feet from the red head leaning casually against the wall of a potential crime scene.

“ That was nice…what with the lighter and all. Very mysterious.” Thurman said.

“ You like that? I think it adds a little something when I get on the scene…” She said.

“I do like the bit with the streetlights going out. That was classic.” He said.

“ Thank you. New gizmo I’m trying out.” She said proudly, holding up something that looked like a garage door opener.

" So…what took you so long, Sunshine?" Thurman asked, trying to keep the smile out of his voice. He could feel her looking at him from behind jet-black glasses.

" Sunshine... Sunshine... I told you not to call me that." She said, though the tone was more laced with humor than anything else.

" Well I thought I told you not to smoke, so you smoke, and I call you Sunshine...SUNSHINE..." He could make out the white flash of her smile. She didn't do it much, but when she did, it could be called something short of heart stopping. Winna Gunn was like part of his own heart, and when she smiled...It was like the miracle of resurrection in a flittering moment.

"You're just bitter. You should have never quit." She said bringing the cigarette towards her lips again. She stopped when she saw Thurman raise his hand and point to the offending stick, then to the ground.

" Winna..." Thurman spoke sternly. He watched Winna consider the tone of his voice, and then drop the cigarette to the alley floor and crush it under her boot.

" There. Happy?" There was the touch of insolence and exasperation in her tone that he expected from anyone that he considered his family. Let alone the woman he thought of like a daughter.

" No." He said, holding out his hand. He waited until Winna sighed and reached into her jacket pocket withdrawing her pack.

"You're just going to smoke them, right?" She asked him, slapping them into his palm.

" I AM going to throw them out." Thurman said.

(Of course he would have to confiscate a few for emergency situations.)

Winna watched him stuff them into his own blazer pocket, and raised a delicate brow at him. Without so much as a word, she could pull off a perfect sarcasm-tinged statement." I don't want to defile the crime scene." He said

He heard Winna chuff once in the darkness.

" I'll bet." She said, flashing him another one of her rare smiles.

" Where's the car?" Thurman asked. He hadn't seen it when he had pulled up on the scene a half-hour ago.

" I walked. It was such a nice night out...I thought, heck...a walk would do me good…"

" No really, How'd you know where to find me?" Thurman asked.

" I figured, 'hey wherever there is a decomposing Angelean... I will find Rupert Thurman.'"

"Scanner?"

" Scanner." Winna moved slightly to look beyond him. The young woman Thurman had been talking to a moment ago was standing now, and looking impatiently in their direction. It was obvious she had been ordered to stay where she was. It was also obvious to Winna as the woman shifted from one foot to the other in frustration that she wasn't the kind of cop who was happy about being left out of the loop. She knew the blond could not see her fully, so she observed her with the same unabashed curiosity that she did anyone new.

" Who's the pokey little puppy?" Winna asked. Thurman cast a glance over his shoulder and frowned slightly.

" Taryn Mackenzie. New dick on the job. No pun. They thought it would be penance for anything I’ve ever done wrong in my sorry life to train her. She’s a pain in the ass…but she’s quick, and she listens.”

“ You sound like you might give him the benefit of the doubt down the line.” Winna said.

“ Down the line I’ll be retired and won’t have to give a rat’s ass what she does.” Thurman groused.

“ The tough cop act doesn’t work on me.” Winna reminded him casually.

“ Well the slinky secret agent act doesn’t work for you.” He said…and in the same breath… “ So when are you coming to dinner? Miriam has had four boxes of candles sitting in a kitchen drawer, waiting for you to visit.”

“ Ooohh…the dreaded monthly guilting. Tell Miriam I’m sorry, and I’ll try to come by this weekend.”

“ Mir will love it.” Thurman said. And then they both slipped into a comfortable silence that stretched out. The sounds of the crowd, and the milling officers filtering down the alley around them.

“ So who’s our girl?” Winna asked, dropping into a serious tone.

“ Gloria Merry.”

“ The one who went missing from school two months ago.”

“ Yeah. She’s the same as the others. Multiple punctures…blood loss…the same MO. If you hear anything on the street about this, you’ll let me know, right?”

“ Right.” Winna said. Watching as Taryn Mackenzie stepped out of the way so the photographer could finish getting his shots. “ I’ll get my team cracking. They love to do the Scooby Doo thing. It’s like vacation time.”

“ I’ll stop by tomorrow night after work.” He said.

“ I’ll let Astrid know you’re coming.” She said looking past him. “ Bring your little friend. She’s… certainly not hard on the eyes.”

“ I work alone.” He said gruffly.

“ Yeah…that’s why you’re coming by tomorrow night.” Winna said as he headed back to the crime scene.

Wednesday 10:02 P.M.

Thurman threw his jacket into the passenger seat. He started to slide into the driver's seat when a hand came down on his forearm.

" Jesus!" He shouted, pulling back towards the car, trying to keep his composure even though his heart was going a mile a minute.

" I'm sorry I scared you." Taryn said. Thurman rubbed the spot over his heart.

" You shouldn't sneak up on people." He grunted, not looking directly at her.

" I'm not sneaking up you. I've been standing here the whole time. You just weren't looking." She said defiantly. He looked at her now, leaning casually against the side of his sedan, as though she had been standing there for hours. "Wow, for a man your size, you sure can jump." She was unsuccessfully trying to keep the sarcasm out of her voice.

Thurman met her gaze. She reminded him of Willa...definitely not in the looks...physically they were like night and day...Taryn Mackenzie was fair, with light eyes and a womanly build. There was something about her stance, the way she carried herself with an ease that belied any inner turmoil, that he recognized in her. This was not a woman who gave in easily. No, he had the sinking feeling that Mackenzie would not throw in the towel.

" Yeah…you should see me dunk a basketball... It's like a damn miracle." Thurman growled. He watched her push away from the car.

" Detective Thurman...I’m concerned that you don’t trust me." Thurman sighed and shut the door of his car.

" Look...I trust you just fine kid…I’m just in a hurry here…"

" I just want you to know that I’m not naïve. I’m not a jackass…I don’t mind the errand girl routine…or the donut runs…or the dirty work…what I DO mind is TRUST. You don’t trust me.”

Thurman was immediately sorry. He had been pushing off a lot of the unwanted grunt work on the blond and she was finally calling him on it. He rubbed his hand over his short hair. It was getting too long for the summer months...he'd ask his wife to cut it down for him. He sighed, sounding like a great, weary bear. She was breaking him. He was starting to like this spunky little firecracker and he hated to admit she was growing on him.

She already knew she had him when he rubbed his hair like he was thinking about it. She had made it a mission to read most of his telling signs. She kept his gaze, and watched him struggle with the inner conflict of rules and regulations.

" I'm three weeks from retirement, Mackenzie. I’m going to tell you I don’t stick my neck out for ANYBODY…period... I don’t trust you with my life…but I’ll trust you enough to take you with me.

" Thank you, Detective." She said….then… “ Take me where?”

Thurman pushed open the passenger door and let her in. He drifted the car out of the lot. His dark eyes intent on the road ahead.

"To a friend’s… Don't thank me yet. You haven't met her. She’s a little bit of a pain in the ass…when she isn’t busy being a BIG pain in the ass. " He said.

" I thought you said she was a friend." Taryn said.

" She's more than that..." He said with more compassion than he had meant to. " But Willa has a mind of her own. She has her own agenda..." He smiled to himself.

People like me. I’ve grow on you...right?" Thurman laughed out loud this time. It was strange to hear the straight-laced man laugh so openly.

" Let me give you a tip. The last two things Willa needs are friends and money. Somewhere under what you'll soon see is a tough outer shell, there's a girl who will want to help us. You just have to learn to talk to THAT girl."

" Thanks for the tip." Taryn said.

" Don't say I didn't warn you." He muttered, steering the car towards Hollywood.

Hollywood 10:49 P.M.

" What are we doing here?" Taryn wondered aloud as Thurman drove the car up to the gates of the All-U-Store… and stopped beside the intercom box. Thurman held up his hand to quiet her and rolled down his window. He used a sausage-sized thumb to press the red call button on the panel.

“ Astrid…you better not be sleeping in there.” He said gruffly.

“ Thurman…Long time no hear…get in here you big lug!” Came a female voice over the intercom. The gate that led to the innards of the storage facility juttered open loudly. Thurman pulled the sedan in and drove without reservation to the booth about twenty yards in.

A tall blonde who nearly matched Thurman in height came out of the booth and around the car to lean in the window and deliver a hug and a peck on the cheek to the large man.

“ You don’t visit me often enough. What’s with THAT?” She said.

“ Tell that to your boss. She never invites me around anymore.” Thurman said with a return hug. Taryn watched this giant man’s visage soften as he talked with her. He was no longer Detective Thurman…he was a beloved friend. Astrid glanced across the seat at Taryn.

“ You bringing in stray women these days?” She asked.

“ Only off duty… Astrid Penniman, this is Taryn Mackenzie.” The two women shook hands. The woman’s hand swallowed Taryn’s.

“ Nice to meet you, Taryn. I hope Thurman hasn’t treated you too badly up to now…I know he’s kind of a jack ass…but we love him.”

“ Cute…So do I get the okay to go in?” Thurman said.

“ I guess…only if you promise to bring me flowers the next time you come. You never bring me flowers anymore. My feelings are starting to get a little hurt.” She winked across the seat at Taryn and stepped back away from the car…waving him past in an official way.

“ She seems…nice…” Taryn offered as he drove past her.

“ Yeah…nice in that ‘kill me in 72 different ways with her bare hands, and wouldn’t even break a sweat’… nice…. I’ve got to remember to bring her flowers next time…that’s no joke.”

“ Okay…so are you going to tell me what we’re doing in a All-U-Store?”       

“ I’m taking you to see Willa…She’s my eyes on the street.”

“ She works here?” Taryn asked incredulously.

“ She LIVES here.” Thurman said. Pulling the car up to the front of a large storage unit door.

The unit door opened on its own accord, and Thurman brought his car inside behind a steel gray Chevy Malibu with tinted out windows. He shut off the lights and got out of the car. Taryn, not wanting to be left behind, followed suit and hurried to catch up to him as he walked in the dim interior to a door on the far side of the ‘garage’.

“ Rule number one. Don’t touch anything. Rule number two. Let me do all the talking.” Thurman waited until the unit door was completely down before opening the next door. “Rule Number three. Don’t ask about her eyes. And don’t turn on any lights ANY LIGHTS…not even a damn pen light in here…

Taryn would not have been able to say anything even if it hadn’t been in the “rules”. Her head craned from one side of the huge warehouse space to the other. It was unlike anything she had ever seen. Taryn was walking into something right out of a Lewis Carroll book…

Alice has crawled through the looking glass.

There were no windows. Nothing to allow any indication of the turning of day into night. The ceilings were high enough to house a catwalk that scoped the entire room like a great skeletal spine running its length. Below, in the center of the warehouse was what could loosely be called an office. Seven terminals were set up in a perfect circle. Three of them were currently in use. The steady clicking of keyboards indicated the users were intent on their job. Oddly, as Thurman and Taryn moved closer...the screens appeared to be black… but they tapped away as though there was something there.

This whole scene was caught under the ethereal-blue glow of false- twilight from the ceiling above. Just enough light to vaguely see the outer reaches of the workstation.

“ Hey Ryder…you linked to that guy in Kansas?” One of the men, a toe-headed guy in his twenties, asked from his terminal.

“ Yeah. He wants twenty units.” The woman called Ryder answered. She had her black hair braided and out of her face. She stopped typing to reach for a cup of coffee on her desk.

“ Tell Kansas you want to see the cash in the account first. The last time he took his sweet-ass time.”

“ Hey. Don’t you have a chivalrous bone in your body, Wade. Watch your language. I’m a lady, damn it.”

“ I have a chivalrous bone…you want to see it?” Wade smirked at his terminal.

“ You are so disgusting, Wade. I cry for your mother.” Ryder said.

“Don’t cry too hard…she’s in Boca Raton with her third husband right now.” Wade glanced over and caught a glance of Thurman. He sat up straighter. “ Hey! Big guy!!! Look at you! What are you doing here???”

“ Listening to you NOT doing your job.” Came a voice from the rafters. Everyone craned their necks up to look.

Winna Gunn leaned over the railing in the dark. Her red hair hung down, framing her face. Keeping her expression hidden.

“ Hi, Thurman…” She turned her head slightly. Behind the glasses it was impossible to see where she was looking…but Taryn had the feeling she was being perused.

“ You brought me a giftie?” She said with a wry smile.

“ I brought my partner here…yes…” He said up at her. “ Why don’t you come down here so I don’t break my neck.” She sighed and walked casually to the spiral stairs. As she came down to the lower floor, Taryn got her first look at the mysterious Winna Gunn.

Commercial…

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:15 pm 
I like this... all of this.

Can't wait to see where you are going with all these different stories, so i hope this last commercial doesn't last for too long..

Have to say you have got me hooked...

R.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 2:21 pm 
Damn cliffhanger!

Gosh, I haven't been this curious about a storyline since I was about ten and had to decipher both language and terminology in addition to plot.

So when you say you have an allergy to all things linear… I hope that doesn’t mean you leave the cliffhangers, err, hanging, right? Cause I’ll have to find myself a good solid wall to bang my head against if that’s so. And yes, that is my obscure way of saying I’m really caught up with all you have written so far, and in spite of my admitted complete sucker-ism for all things lineare, I'd be delighted to bear with you for the sake of your wonderful humor and goddamn chalk-full of INTERESTING going on.

By the way, I’m a total ER fan. Can’t seem to stop Kerry and Willow from molding a little together in my head. Which is more than a little disturbing – mostly ‘cause they’re my two favorite characters on TV, period. Hehe. But, well, just serves to show that you’re doing a fine job.

Oh, and on the p.s – I loved your Late Shift, although I couldn’t possibly follow it due to school overload. Hence I’ll be giving you full credit here, y’know, the whole, “I trust my delicate reader/shipper’s heart in your hands” nine yards. Ah, the sweet smell of pressure, eh? Sorry :)

*toddles off like the nutcase she is*

I usually make more sense when I talk then when I write. It’s a thing. :)

On Buffy, Season 7: ”Bored now…”

Edited by: Mrs Vertigo at: 12/6/02 1:55:53 pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:00 pm 
As much as I love the wackiness you usually grace us with, I have to say I really liked this programme. Willa the mystery woman, Taryn the young eager cop. I really hope we'll be channel hopping back here sometime soon.

I happen to think mine is the level head,
and yours is the one things would roll off of.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:20 pm 
TarebearRS…I’m very glad to have you hooked. I feel so proud…like a dealer of hookable product…so very proud indeed.

Mrs Vertigo… I’ll try to keep the cliffhangers at a minimum…but alas…it is all I can do to take a breather between “sets”. Can you tell that I too am a die hard ER fan…I think I might have even written Kerry a few times and had to erase it…heh. As for your delicate reader/shipper heart…I’ll try to be gentle….but the pressure is a lot for me…I’m not too good under pressure…I get all tense and cliff-hangery….mwahahahahahaha (evil laugh)

Mollyig…Thank you…I kinda enjoyed this programme myself. I’m sure we’ll be skipping back here again sometime soon…

So now it’s time again for audience participation. Set down your coffees and pick up your clickers (remotes)….and tell the all-powerful computer what you would like to see next…

Channel Index:

Channel Two: The Living Woman Network

Channel Three: The SO-REAL Network

Channel Four: Must Flee T.V.

Channel Five: Pacific Tides Television

Channel Six: Flashbackland

Channel Seven: Futopia Channel

Channel Eight: Children’s Broadcast Station

Channel Nine: Nine West

Channel Ten and higher: Cable access (You need the silver cable package to view beyond this channel – coming soon…)

Have fun!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:31 pm 
Oooh, that last one was awesome! I'd like some more of that. :) Channel Seven: Futopia, please. I'll even be willing to bribe you with buckets of coffee beans. :grin

"We've got the only librarian who can rip off your arm with his leg. People respect that." - Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:59 pm 
I'd totally be willing to sponser - one catch no one asks me to wear a green apron (bad university job experience).

Just an FYI - my espresso machine is on, and I will fill any orders. As well, I have whole bean coffee to offer - it's fresher that way - but if you want I can grind it for you ;)

Couple of questions though - when's my cable access getting hooked up? I've heard rumours (or was that in my dream.. nevermind), and if I get a tv with picture in picture ability can I vote for two channels? Asking me to pick one is just... well let's just say I can't pick one I want them all. PPLLLEEAASSEE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 2:01 am 
oh great computer, while solving such trivial global problems as war and famine, please tell me which came first -- the chicken or the egg?

if that's not possible - more amazing updates will do. :grin

i vote for channel five - pacific tides -- assuming shows are based near the pacific ocean. who doesn't love jiggle vision? sorry, i mean baywatch. gosh, i'm scaring myself. stopping now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:52 am 
Oh, I'm dying to see what's on the Children's Channel! I'm a sucker for kiddie shows :grin . Too bad we don't get Cartoon Network, eh? Nah, just kidding. This is great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 5:24 am 
Um, Nikki, I have a question. If you're doing the Cafe full time, what does that mean for the Late Shift? Not that this isn't a marvel of creative genuis, duh, you wrote it, but.... shutting up now.

Ruth

-----------------

Sugar Sweet Haven

http://sweetsugar7.hyperboards2.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:05 am 

Which channel to choose...hmm, will given that we only know whats on four of those channels... :)

I really like the setup for Futopia, lots of things to discover about Willa there. The _Living Woman Network_ isn't too bad either.

So one of those two for continuing stories will do fine. If I have to pick a yet not-viewed channel; Children’s Broadcast Station , although Nine West sounds like fun too but thats 'cos I like medical series :)

You got yourself working on an awfull lot of seperate stories don't you ?

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:48 am 
Well I'm intrigued as to what will happen on Channel Eight - Children’s Broadcast Station, but am happy to go along with whatever the great computer decides. Which is strange, really, because I'm one of those control freaks who demand to be in possession of the remote control!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:19 pm 
Wow! This is so crazy, it's wonderful. Loving every bit of it! :D

As for what channel next... uhmm, I'm really enjoying the Futopia (gotta love Will in black...) and the Living Woman Network.

I don't like reality shows, but the SO-Real Network got my total attention too. :)

Great work!

--------------------------
"She had tasted Willow on her tongue, and she had worn Willow on her skin. There wasn't a shower in the world that could have washed that away." (Terra Firma, by Tulipp)

Post subject: so - real network
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:34 pm 
oooohhh!!! Lovin the fic!! *chants* THE SO - REAL NETWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:13 pm 
I'm loving this fic. I'm in awe at how you can go off on random tangents and still keep things making sense. When I go off on tangents (which is often) I seem to get myself and those around me lost. You have a great sense of humor as well. I'm looking forward to more updates.

My recommendations: The Childrens Broadcast Station or Nine West. Either or. Whatever you end up writing, it'll probably be worth reading.

Sarah

You can stomp my ass into obvlivion, but that doesn't mean I'll put up with your shit. There are a million fine looking women in the world, but not all of them bring you lasagna to work. Most of them just cheat on you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:50 am 
LeatherQueen… Hmm…it looks like it’s going to be the Futopia channel again. Buckets of coffee, eh? I’ll have to tell you…I’m all about the bribery…I have no sense of honor…just wave a mug under my nose and I’m yours.

Dekalog…Thank you for sponsoring me. I won’t make you wear the little green apron. I too have worn the apron in a Univ. setting…so I understand why you would be adverse to it. Triple Café Mocha please. No Whip. And cable access should be coming soon to these parts. You have to be 18 and over for those ones though…so be aware…

Ange04…First off…The Great Computer has spoken: The Chicken and the egg came at the same time. See the chiken was just THERE and the egg was inside…sooo…. Channel five will come directly after the second stint of Fear the Light. Of course it’s going to be next to the Pacific Ocean…is there any other? I admit a little bit of bias (being Da Kine Wahine from the Leeward Side) This one will be close to my heart.

Mrs Vertigo…ohhh….the Cartoon Network…THAT would be a kick! Maybe on Cable access…( Hmm…) The Children’s Channel will come next in line as per your request.

NewRuthRising…Thank you for your “Marvel of comic Genius” comment. Though It is true that I am merely a program of a much larger machine…The Late Shift ha not been forgotten…it is merely on hiatus. I will be back on the clock soon…no worries.

Grimlock72… You have fallen into the gap of consensus…Futopia it is. And yes…I have a whole lot of stories going on at once…but I guarantee you…this is how I function… I have a nine track mind….and I like trains on all of them.

Mollyig…So you like to be in control of the remote huh? It says a lot about you! Heh. I bet you can choose restaurants and movies at the drop of a hat…you decisive diva, you… The Children’s channel will follow suit after the Pacific Tides Channel’s first episode.

Sheilawt…Your wish is my command…Futopia coming right up (either Sunday night or Monday Morning)

Polgara…So this is the line-up so far…The Futopia Channel (again)… the Pacific Tides Network…The Children’s Channel…and with your rousing vote… the SO-REAL Network…

unionjill30...Thank you for your kind words! I will try my best to keep my tangents coherent (though I'm pretty much known for my skills concerning blathering nonsensically) And as for your Children's Channel request...I'll have the Computer drum up something extra special for you.

Boy...how many channels is that? I have my work cut out for me…

Stay tuned for the Futopia Channel’s next installment of

FEAR THE LIGHT…. (insert intense sci-fi music here)

Have a lovely weekend!

-chica

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:03 am 
thank you for answering the chicken/egg question. my life mission of finding this answer is now complete. what will i do for the rest of my life? read your fics, of course.

woo-hoo a local girl! i can't wait for channel five to begin! i guess being local does have its privileges. :grin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:31 am 
*Trom looks around in confusion* How in the Sam Hill (or anyone else's hill for that matter) did I manage to miss all this chica goodness? :eyebrow I am shamed by my laziness. Or maybe I should finally go get new glasses. :happy Whichever the case YAY FOR CHICA!!! Break out the caffeine bribery and let me buckle my seat belt. Remote is at the ready. OK, I think I'm prepared for this latest chica ride. WHOO&HOO!!!! :bounce

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Chinese Proverb.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:20 pm 
ange04...Hey...you local? that's really cool! I miss the islands every day now that I'm on the mainland...but I guess I can revive them in fic...right? Though it's never really the same.

TromDeGrey...Missed you kiddo! Where ya been? There's no shame in overlooking my fic...in fact...I've tried to warn people away....it doesn't seem to be working. Hold on tight (to your mug...and the couch) for the ride is bumpy and long, Dear...let's go!!!...

Channel 7: The Futopia Channel

Fear the Light

Episode 1: Part Two

Winna Gunn looked like something out of a science fiction story.

Taryn noted that what she thought was an outfit of all black leather turned out to be a dark gray material that caught the false light in the room with a strange iridescence. Her red hair fell just below her shoulders. Her features were pale…a natural compliment of darkness and light.

But even in this dim environment. She kept the dark glasses on.

Taryn had to admit… curiosity was eating away at her. At first this woman was nothing more than a specter in a dark alleyway (she was no idiot…she could put two and two together), and now this PLACE…almost a lair if she were trying to be romantic about the situation…

And then…the mysterious lighting…and the glasses.

But Thurman had told her the rules. She had to abide by the rules…

Winna navigated the stairs and walked over to them with a grace that told Taryn that it was unlikely that she was blind.

“ Happy?” Winna asked Thurman. He sighed in exasperation. It was as if he was used to this behavior.

“ Yes. I am. I’m not going to spend an hour looking up at you.” He said.

“ Oh come on…You know how I like to feel all-powerful…” She joked with him…keeping a serious face. Thurman groused something under his breath about her not being too old for a swift boot to the ass. But out loud he said…” Winna Gunn…this is Taryn Mackenzie…my partner.” Winna moved a little closer to give her a once over. Taryn nodded to her.

“ Hi.” She said.

“ Hi.” Winna returned. On the War Room floor, Wade stomped a foot impatiently.

“Okay…this is sooo not fair, Winna!…A good-looking woman comes in here once in…like…NEVER…and you’re already seducing her! I’ll never get a date like this!” Wade complained. Winna turned halfway to him.

“ I just said ‘hi’ to her, Wade…” She said with a partial smile.

“ Uhm…that’s basically all it takes…isn’t it?” He pressed his point. “ I mean…you have the cool clothes…the bad-ass car…the secret agent gadgets…”

“ Don’t forget the looks…she has those too.” Ryder said smugly from her chair. Wade shot his peer a dismayed look.

Not helping.” He said between his teeth.

Winna stepped up onto the small platform where the circle of computer were and put an arm around Wade’s shoulders.

“One…I’m not seducing our guest. I just met her. Two…I don’t think she…. PLAYS in your sandbox, Wade.” She said this in a low voice…as though she was trying to keep the conversation private. In the echoes that played about the room…the words were basically lost on NO ONE.

“ Hey…wait a minute…where do you get off…” Taryn started. Thurman took a firm grip on her upper arm to still her. He shook his head mildly. It was too late…he caught Winna’s smile and she turned back to Taryn, and inwardly cringed. This was going to get worse before it got better.

“ I’m just saying I’ve known you for like…what…three minutes…and you’ve already checked out my rack twice and my ass once…” Winna said.

Taryn sputtered.

Taryn turned red around the gills.

Taryn blinked rapidly.

But frankly…Taryn couldn’t deny that she HADN’T done those things…because…frankly… she had.

(I mean…she’s wearing skin tight material and she’s not…bad to look at…okay…she’s actually quite something to look at…gay or no…)

“Oh…” Wade said…as it dawned on him. “ Okay then…(looking around Winna at Taryn) Hi, I’m Wade….maybe we can watch football together or play softball or something…”

Winna slid her arm from his shoulders, and popped him on the back of the head.

“ Ow!” He yelped.

“ Grow up.” Winna muttered under her breath at him.

“ I’m Ryder.” Ryder said from her console. “ You can tell Wade and I apart because I’m the one with the tact and the intelligence…”

Thurman let Taryn’s arm go.

“ Winn….This is great fun…but can we get down to business…people dying and all…just a reminder…”

Winna’s smile faded.

“ Yes…business…this isn’t a tea party?…(off his scowl)… right…gotcha.” She beckoned both of them up onto the platform and over to one of the unused consoles.

Her fingers flew over the keys as she spoke.

“ So this is what I came up with…very interesting stuff…The victims had basically NOTHING in common. Let’s take the last four…Kirk Longshire…was a young male in his twenties…Camy Reese was 45 and female…Donald Hapland…was fifty seven…a retiree….and our last girl…Gloria Merry…seventeen and a student at Fairview High…she went missing last year…and turns up in a alley last night…all of them had numerous puncture wounds in various points on the body…from your pathology reports EVERYONE had identical wounds…two at the throat…two in each arm…and two in the right thigh.”

“ You gave her the pathology reports?” Taryn pulled back and asked Thurman incredulously.

“ You don’t understand.” Thurman said sternly…thinking that the tone in his voice would be enough to still her.

“ You don’t seem to WANT me to understand…THURMAN…” She said…obviously NOT easily stilled.

“ You aren’t ready yet. It’s a lot to handle…” He said stoically.

“ I’m not ten…and this isn’t a sex talk, Thurman…I can handle it.” She stood her ground. Winna looked up from her console. Her dark glasses glinting in the blue light from above.

“ You haven’t TOLD her yet, Thurman?” She asked with a tinge of worry.

“ No…It’s not something you just TELL someone…is it now?” He griped.

“ Tell me what???” Taryn demanded…feeling completely out of the loop at this moment…and hating the feeling VERY much.

“ Well I can’t very well go forward from this point if she doesn’t know, Thurman…so you better give your little virgin’ the sex talk’ right about now…or she’s going to learn the hard way.” Winna said.

“ Damn it.” Thurman said. Not wanting to do it this way.

“That’s not it, Thurman…try again…” Winna teased.

“ This isn’t funny, Winna.” He growled.

“ Oh…then you aren’t seeing it from my perspective…It’s actually a hoot from over here…you’re all red and sweaty…and nervous…” She crossed her legs and waited.

“Okay…what is going on?” Taryn demanded again. Thurman cast one last scowl at Winna before turning to Taryn. He opened his mouth as if about to explain…then shut it as he thought of a better one…He looked like a carp on a rocky shore.

(open-closed….open…closed…open…)

This seemed to go on for several minutes before Winna sighed explosively.

“ All right! Vampires…witches…demons…ghosts…they are all real…especially the vampires…the fact is…this city is overrun with them…and all of these murders are linked in that one way…they were bitten…and drained of blood….”

Winna said this all in one breath…and looked at Taryn who was standing silently next to her partner.

“ That’s the secret? Vampires?” She asked finally.

“Yes…” Thurman said…waiting for her reaction with baited breath.

“ Well…I KNOW about THEM…I’d have to be obtuse not to…” She said plainly.

Winna smirked at Thurman (who it took several years of convincing for him to believe…obtuse indeed…)

“ Well now…with that cleared up…can I continue?” Winna asked, turning back to the console. “…So I thought maybe there was something about the victims that would appeal to our night fiends…like blood type…or DNA…well their blood types varied too much for that to be the reason…but there was something…HERE in their DNA that struck a vein…excuse the pun…”

She brought up the information on the screen and Thurman frowned. He couldn’t make heads or tales of it. Taryn leaned in over her shoulder.

“ They all have HH.” Taryn said simply.

“ Every single one of them.” Winna said, impressed by Thurman’s new partner.

“ What’s HH?” Thurman asked…his brow furrowed as he tried to read the mishmash of information on the screen.

“ Hemochromatosis…It’s a fairly common blood disorder it can be genetic or you can develop it after certain surgeries…The body produces too much iron…basically your body makes too much blood…and you have to have it removed…or it will affect your liver.”

“ How do you know that?” Thurman asked…still trying to make sense from the screen.

“ My father had it. The genetic form. It’s not a big deal if you take care of it early enough…” She said.

“ Well…all of our victims here may have to disagree with you on the Big Deal part…being dead and all…” Winna offered.

“ Ohh…voluntary blood donors…sounds like a vampire dream date…” Ryder said.

“ Yeah…but why kill the cow when you are getting your milk for free?” Wade chimed in.

“ That’s the One hundred thousand dollar question. It sounds like a good deal for both sides…why would they be killing them after such a short time…it’s like breaking a symbiotic chain. It doesn’t make sense.“

“ So how do we make sense of it?” Taryn asked, Thurman frowned. He knew exactly what Winna was about to suggest, and he didn’t like it at all…

“Now wait a minute…” He started.

“ Go right to the source…and ask the horse.” Winna said. Taryn looked from Thurman to Winna.

“ You aren’t talking about going out and asking Vampires?” She blurted.

“ Of course I am. And you… are going to have to go with me.” She said.

“Hold on here…” Thurman said…but was ignored.

“ You’re going to the Blender??? II never get to go out in the field! Why can’t I go???” Wade complained.

Winna leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms over her chest.

“ Wade…what day is it?”

“ Wednesday….” He said.

“ And what it Wednesday at the Blender?” Wade plunked himself back into his chair, pouting.

“ Girl’s Night.” He grumbled.

“ You and Thurman order in pizza. Ryder…go get suited up…and find a suit to fit Mackenzie here…”

“ Why do I need a suit?” Taryn asked.

“ It’s nanotechnological Mylar.” Thin enough to wear under your best skintight outfits…and strong enough to stop the casual bullet…and…” She tapped the material that sheathed her throat around her arteries like a mock turtleneck. “ Fang-proof…just in case…”

“ Fashion and sensibility in one.” Ryder said over her shoulder…heading into a darker part of the room.

“ I don’t think we’ll be needing it in the Blender. It’s a Blue Zone establishment. Upper crust. Human friendly.”

“ I don’t believe I have human-friendly insurance.” Taryn said nervously. She’s never heard of a vampire that wouldn’t take the first chance they got to sink their teeth in.

Winna stood up.

“ You just stick close to me…and you’re insured.” She said. She held up a wicked looking gun.

“ Silver explosive tipped exterior cased glass lined bullets surrounding a napalm derivative. I call it Liquid Sunshine.”

“ Impressive.” Taryn said.

“ Uh…hello? What part of ‘no way in hell are you going into The Blender with my rookie partner’ do you not get?” Thurman said gratingly.

“ Thurman gets pizza…. and Chamomile tea for those nerves…” Winna says.

“ Winna. I’m putting my foot down. There’s no way you’re going there…” He glowered down at her.

They locked gazes…a silent battle of wills.

Only one of them could win…

Commercial…

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 2:33 pm 
Children's Station! Children's Station!

*clicks remore mercylessly*

:bounce

Great update this had been. I LOVE Winna. Super misterious whoever she might be. Thumbs continuesly up. Errr... is that spelt right? Heh. :grin

Love what you're doing here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:08 pm 
Yep, still liking Winna here. She sure does like to explain her toys in detail doesn't she ? :D Of course I'm wondering about her sunglasses but I'll just be quiet and hope those get explained eventually.

Wade is a bit annoying and dweeby isn't he ? Whining a bit too much me thinks. As long as he gets whatever job he has done... preferably in silence.

How coincidental, it just happens to be Girls Night in the bar they're going to visit. Hehehe....: -->>: I'm not entirely clear on the gun Winna's carying, is that a flare gun or does she actually shoot at vamps with it ? Probably will be revealed on next week's episode :)

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

Edited by: Grimlock72 at: 12/9/02 4:37:04 am

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:34 pm 
oh thank you, chica... that was great! I so love Willa... all snarky and such a smartass. :) *sends buckets of coffee beans out to chica* It's all about the bribery. :grin

"We've got the only librarian who can rip off your arm with his leg. People respect that." - Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:42 pm 
Fabulous update Chica. My favorite part would have to be the comment about watching football and playing softball. It made me laugh. Wade reminds me of Xander: kinda stupid. I can't wait for your next update.

Sarah

You can stomp my ass into obvlivion, but that doesn't mean I'll put up with your shit. There are a million fine looking women in the world, but not all of them bring you lasagna to work. Most of them just cheat on you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:14 pm 
great update chica! i'd check out winna's rack & ass too, given the opportunity.

yep total local twinkie, born & raised. yellow on the outside and white on the inside.

to get the island theme going, how's about i send some kona coffee, zippy's chili, and a plate lunch. that should get the creative juices going.

ange

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:16 pm 
Warn me away???? GASP!! Never! I am a total disciple of chica insanity/goodness. Please just don't ask me to pick a channel. I'm a notorious surfer and would make everyone nuts. As for where I've been, well, opened a new office and am actually writing my own little fic at the moment. :eek I really can't wait to see what channel is next. Am I gonna need a helmet or anything?

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Chinese Proverb.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:35 pm 
DAmn commercials - just when it starts heating up. Great show - thanks.

The Blender - women's night - wheeeee. More - please.

I made some biscotti to go with the mocha's - help yourself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:22 am 
Winna certainly seems used to getting her own way. Thurman doesn't have a chance, Taryn will definitely be in attendance at The Blender when next we visit this channel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:43 am 
finally got a chance to read these, and they are really cool :)

i especially like the Futopia channel.

Dude, we're surrounded by perverts!
No! Well, okay. No. Pez!
I don't know, it's like my brain keeps... jacking off

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:48 am 
I'm completely blown away by the workings of a mind that can come up with something this sensational.

Was that too much?

I'm getting the biggest thrill out of this thread, and loving the audience participation. Do you service the Atlanta area? I'm considering getting rid of my Broadband, and your basic service is more interesting than what they offer right now.

BTW, putting my vote in for SO-Real. Whatever channel that's on. I mean, it's extra-flamey candle time.

Post subject: more
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:19 pm 
ooooh, I love it!!! Write more Chica, its just so damn addictive!! Finally, TV where theres actually something on!! ;)

Love

Pol xxx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next