The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Queen of Hearts (Status report: 3 October 2013)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:55 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 10
Queen of Hearts

Written by BeMyDeputy
Beta-ed by dlline

Welcome to Queen of Hearts. This is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer canon season four filler story. The name was inspired, among other things, by this clip of Amber Benson singing the song of the same name (written by Hank DeVito and popularized by Juice Newton) in 7 Things to Do Before I'm 30. Please note that the entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of it's owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.

This story is organized by chapters broken up into parts. Each chapter represents an episode (or two, in the case of "This Year's Girl" and "Who Are You"). Each chapter tends to have five parts. For your convenience, here is a kicky table of contents.

Chapter One: "A New Man"
-Part 1: The Dream
-Part 2: The Rose
-Part 3: The Deal
-Part 4: The Reminder
-Part 5: In Which There Is Floating, Flirting, Filing, and Falling

Chapter 2: "The I In Team"
-Part 1: In Which There is Poker, Prayer, and Divine Intervention
-Part 2: In Which Willow and Tara Face Things They Would Rather Not
-Part 3: In Which Willow Keeps her Promise
-Part 4: In Which there Is Disbelief and Powderkegs
-Part 5: In Which there Are Pleasant Memories and Unpleasant Presents

Chapter 3: "Goodbye Iowa"
-Part 1: In Which Tara Learns What it Is to Be Scooby-Adjacent
-Part 2: In Which Willow Lives Two Lives
-Part 3: Love, Sex, and Death
-Part 4: Poems and Demons
-Part 5: Drowning

Chapter 4: "This Year's Girl" and "Who Are You?"
-Part 1: Out of Bounds
-Part 2: Unspoken
[hr]

Author: BeMyDeputy
Rating: R (violence) for this section. Up to NC-17 for later installments.
Notes: Queen of Hearts is a Between The Lines-esque telling of season 4. "The Dream" takes place during the episode "A New Man."
Spoilers: This is season 4. If you haven't seen season 4, what are you doing here?
Content disclaimer (this section): Violence: yes. Sex: No. Angst: Yes
I Don't Own This Disclaimer: The entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of it's owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. Much of Willow's nightmare is taken straight from "Wild At Heart," including some dialogue that was cut in the final episode, but found in the shooting script. I did not write "Wild at Heart." Marti Noxon did. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.

EDIT: Thanks to my awesome beta reader, dlline, who is wonderful and knows awesome words like 'gerund.' I didn't forget you; I was just too tired to remember to acknowledge you.

Chapter 1, Part 1: The Dream

Willow woke up screaming.

Again.

Every night, every single god-and-goddess forsaken night was the same. Ever since it happened.

She was in the chemistry lab, just before sundown. She felt as though her heart was pumping out hate through her arteries, and was being flooded with despair returning through her veins. She faced her opponent, the Other Woman.

“Sometimes you have to kill.”

Willow saw the predatory look in Veruca’s eyes, knowing that she was speaking not in metaphor, but with a gruesome, animal bluntness the belied her true nature. Confirming Willow’s fears, Veruca looked meaningfully at the window.

“Well what do you know? Sun’s almost down.” She advanced on Willow, toying with her prey. “Can't say I'm surprised you didn't go through with your little hex. You don't have the teeth.”

Despite the urgent need to escape, the home wrecking bitch’s assumption that she knew a thing about her spurred Willow to engage. “You don’t know what I have. You don’t know anything about me.”

“I know what you love,” Veruca crooned. “I have his scent on me right now,”

As heartbreakingly accurate as the taunt was, Willow knew she was rapidly running out of time before the change. She’d stood guard over Oz too many months not to know the quality of the light right before sunset. Artists thought it was magical; Willow thought it was terrifying. It was time to make a break for it, she decided, and she started toward the door.

WHAM! Veruca’s slap was hard enough to knock Willow to the floor. It felt hauntingly familiar, being stuck down like that. As Veruca slowly approached her prone body, the feeling of déjà vu overwhelmed her. Like flashes of Tyler Durden, Willow saw Faith, knife in hand, standing over her as well. Faith, who had taken Buffy away from her. Faith, who had taken Xander away from her. Now Oz was being taken from her, and Faith was there to watch and to mock and to laugh, if only in the mind’s eye.

Willow looked helplessly toward the door, expecting Oz to burst in. He was supposed to burst in now, to pull the murderous bitch away. But he didn’t.

“Go ahead and cry - but you should have seen this coming. You can't tame a wild thing. He's not yours any more. He's in you, he'd be thinking about me -no. Not thinking. It's deeper than that. He’s needing me.”

Willow was frozen. She wanted to get up and run, to crawl away, to shout, to cry, to anything. But she couldn’t move, trapped listening to the predator’s abuse.

Veruca looked again to the windows, and a look of glee spread across her face. “Why don't you just try to relax now? In a minute or two it'll all be over.”

Finally, the door crashed in, and Oz burst into the room. Willow watched as the two werewolves circled each other: one flirtatious, one defensive, and both deadly. The hate and despair that had been coursing through her was replaced by fear, pumping so loud that she couldn’t hear the words the other two exchanged. Instead, Willow found herself suddenly able to move again, and she backed away, eyes glued to the impending fight.

The change was beginning to take the others, even as they verbally sparred. Willow saw Oz look to her and then to Veruca. She heard him speak two words: “We kill.” She watched as her partly transformed lover, still human and cogent enough to talk, lunged at Veruca. She watched them throw each other about the room until the genuine weapons finally emerged. Teeth and claws and immense strength armed both opponents simultaneously, and the real fight began. They bit and scratched and beat each other until finally Oz pinned Veruca to the ground. Willow watched as the man she loved sank his teeth into Veruca’s neck and tore out her throat.

Blood dripping from his mouth, he shook his head victoriously over his kill. He looked at Willow.

She reached out for him, so in need of the comfort his arms brought that she was willing to hope that he, for the first time while a wolf, would recognize her.

“Oz?”

Oz came to her, but it was not to bring comfort. Growling, he ran at her having tasted blood and wanting more. He jumped on her slight body, crushing her against the floor. Bloody teeth descended to her neck, his jaws opening wide. Willow felt the sharp points penetrate her skin. She screamed.

Willow awoke to strong arms pulling her close. ‘Arms. Thank the gods! It was a dream. Oz is here with me and all of that was just a bad dream. A very, very bad dream.’ Eyes still clenched tightly, Willow snuggled into the soothing body below her. She felt a gentle hand running through her hair, and smiled, placing a warm kiss on Oz’s breast. “Oz,” she sighed, happily.

The hand in her hair stopped, but the arms around her stayed in place.

“Hey,” Willow moaned, disappointed. “My hair rubbing stopped. Why did it--”

‘Breast?!’ Willow’s brain started to catch up with her surroundings. ‘Oz doesn’t have breasts. Oz has pecs. Nice ones, at that. And Oz doesn’t smell like vanilla and jasmine. Those smells mean-

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:32 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Queen of Hearts
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:43 am 

Dibs...but hey...no fair...why did we stop just as the breast-kissing started? ;-) :blush

I'm intrigued so far, I look forward to reading more.

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:07 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Ouch. Calling the current love by a name from the past is never, ever good.It'll be interesting to see your take on Tara - how will she handle it? Swallow the pain and smile, or withdraw?

Good start!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:07 pm 
18. Breast Gal

Hey!

It looks great. I like the changes you made a lot. Keep up the great work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:56 am 

Shit on a stick, I didn't mention dlline.

Everyone, dlline is my totally awesome beta reader. She helps me know the difference between me actually being clever and me just thinking I'm being clever, not to mention pointing out when what I've written doesn't make any sense. Which is why section 2 is not quite done yet, but will be sensical when it I post it.

So yes, praise be to dlline. Appropriate kudos have now been edited into the heading of the first post.

P.S. I'm not as cold as you think I am. You'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:33 am 
12. Recently Gay

Topics: 1
Really liking this, and when I saw your name as the most recent post, I was hoping it was an update - but alas, t'was not:(

Now, I'm thinking if this post Oz and pre Tara, then Willow is in the clear with the whole wrong name thing ( and about to mightily confused), and if our girls are already at the touchy feely stage, then Willow better have a good way of explaining herself - lol.

Early days yet, but I'll definitely be watching out for updates to this one.

Oh, and welcome to the board :pinky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 am 
3. Flaming O

this seems really interesting, can't wait for the next update!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:22 pm 

Rating: PG for this section. Up to NC-17 for later installments.
Notes: "The Rose" takes place during the episode "A New Man."
Spoilers: This is season 4. If you haven't seen season 4, what are you doing here?
Content disclaimer (this section): Violence: No. Sex: No. Angst: Not really.
I Don't Own This Disclaimer: The entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of it's owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to my awesome beta reader, dlline, who is wonderful and why this section makes any sense.

Chapter 1, Part 2: The Rose

With the distinctive smell of Tara, the memories of last night and why Willow was sleeping atop her came flooding back.

“I don’t know. But . . . the petals are off.”

They stared down at the smoking rose stem, which had finally come to rest back in the casting circle from where they had levitated it in the first place. Of course, it had started with a full complement of petals.

“That was . . . bad. I mean, assuming you didn’t do that. Because I didn’t do that. Did you do that?”

“Me? N-no.”

Willow sighed, frowning. “I didn’t think so. I wonder what did.” She edged slowly to the window and carefully peaked out through the drawn curtains. The view revealed nothing more ominous than the dark, empty field that always sat adjacent to Tara’s building. Which, to be honest, was a little ominous. “Well, whatever it was, I don’t see it out there.” Willow turned back to look at Tara, a thoughtful look on her face. “Did you feel like . . . I don’t know, like something got in the way?”

Tara nodded, slowly. “Yeah. We were holding the rose aloft, and then outside energy came flooding in, overwhelm-- . . . .” She cringed, shaking her head.

“Tara?” Willow walked slowly to her friend, concerned at the pained expression she was wearing. “What’s wrong? “

“Th-the last time I felt anything like that, it was black magic. But . . . for any dark magic to be interfering with our spell, without being in the same room . . . it would have to come from a really, really powerful source.” Willow was intrigued. She’d read about categorizing magic as ‘dark’ or ‘black’ before, but she hadn’t really grasped
why. Magic was a tool, like any other. Buffy wielded stakes and swords with strength; Willow wielded magic with willpower. But now it sounded like Tara had personal experience with what made black magic different. Willow agreed with Tara’s assessment that an outside source of magical energy had taken over their spell, but couldn’t distinguish it as ‘black.’ She was about to ask Tara what she knew about black magic, but Tara spoke first. “And before you ask, trust me, y-you don’t want to know.”

Willow stood dumbfounded for a moment; she was sure she hadn’t yet opened her mouth to speak. ‘Damn, Tara’s really good at reading people. Well, me, at least.’ Her attention was abruptly drawn to the clock behind Tara as the digits changed. It was already 1:00. ‘Rats. It’s not really safe to walk home at this time of night. Buffy will be out patrolling by now, no way to call her.’ “I really hate to ask, but . . . would it be okay if I stayed here tonight? I don’t want to impose. But if there’s something powerful and all black magic-y out there . . . .”

“I don’t really like the idea of you walking home, either. Not at this hour. I-if you want, you can stay.”

“Really? That’d be great!” Willow beamed at Tara, pleased she hadn’t offended the girl by asking. And happy she didn’t have to walk home alone at night. And, for some reason, giddy at the thought of spending the night with Tara.

“Though, there is one c-condition.” Willow thought Tara sounded nervous, though she didn’t know why. ‘I’m the one being all rude and asking to stay.’

“What, I have to bring you coffee and donuts in the morning?” Willow joked. “That’s Buffy’s price, and I don’t know if I can go much higher than that.”

“No, no, nothing like that.” Tara took a deep breath. “In the interest of full disclosure, you should know I’m gay. I mean, I’m not going to jump you in the night or anything, but if you’re thinking of staying, you should know.”

Willow shrugged. “Okay, no biggie. But, uh, what’s the condition?”

“That was the—okay, I suppose I failed to phrase it as a conditional. Let’s try again. Ahem. It’s only okay if you don’t mind spending the night in a lesbian’s room. With her still in it.”

“It’s settled. I’ll stay here then. Though, as long as were in disclosure-y mode, you should know the last time I shared a bed with someone, it was with Oz. So, if I try to jump you in the night, it’s because my body thinks you’re him—just wake me up or something.” Willow smiled, assuming that Tara would know that she was kidding around. But Tara was just staring at her. Still wanting to put Tara at ease, Willow continued her light tone. “What, you thought I’d want to sleep on the floor?” Willow grinned. “I’m not going to let a little thing like you liking girls get in the way of precious bed space. And I won’t settle for you sleeping on the floor, since I already feel intrusive-y having asked to stay in the first place. Your bed’s big enough for two, so space shouldn’t be an issue.” Tara still seemed put off; humor clearly wasn’t working. So Willow broke down and addressed the problem directly. “Did you think I’d be freaked?”

“I never know what to expect.” She looked down. “The spells have us touching all the time, so . . .”

“Hey, don’t look all embarrassed. It really isn’t a big deal. Okay, that was remarkably dumb. I’m sure it is a big deal. But, it doesn’t bug me. Seriously, I was raised by sociology professors. Besides, best friends with Xander my whole life: I’m used to affectionate friendships with people for whom I’m a member of an attractive sex.” She walked up to Tara, and gave her a hug. “See? Total non-issue.” Willow hadn’t realized just how tense Tara was until she felt her relax in her arms.

“You’re r-remarkable, you know that?”

“I feel pretty normal to me.” Willow smiled. “So, do you have some spare PJs? Heck, if you’re going to let me stay every time we’re up late doing spells, I’ll bring my own to keep over here. But that won’t help tonight.” ‘Maybe she’ll let me have a drawer for PJs and clothes and stuff. That would be cool! Oz gave me a drawer, and that was really convenient. On the other hand, we were sleeping together. The naked-kinda together, not the it’s-creepy-outside-and-I don’t-want-to-walk-home-kinda together. And somehow, I’m pretty sure we’re going to stick to that first one. Does that mean I don’t get a drawer? Is saying I’d keep PJ’s here like, making a pass or something? I hope not, bec--’ Willow was finally broken out of her mental discourse on the social implications of PJs and drawers when Tara answered her question.

“Uh, sure. C’mon.” Tara walked over to her dresser, and pulled out the bottom drawer. “Take your pick. They’ll all be kinda big on you, of course, but they’re comfy.”

Willow grabbed a pair of red flannel pajamas from the drawer, and headed toward the door. “I guess I’ll just go change in the bathroom, then. Be back soon!”

Ten minutes later, both girls were changed, and they pulled down the futon pad, flattening it out into a bed. Tara turned off the lamp, so the room was lit only by the white Christmas lights that circled her room.

“So, do you have a side preference? I’m not really used to sharing, so either’s good for me.”

Willow pointed at the right side of the bed like a small child picking a flavor at an ice cream parlor. “I want that one!” Tara nodded, and the girls climbed into their respective sides of the bed, and lay down to face each other. Despite the late hour, both girls were wide awake.

Willow, being Willow, had plenty on her mind to talk about. “So, is it hard, talking about it? Being gay, I mean.” She wanted to test the waters before making her friend’s sexuality the topic of their pre-sleep conversation, but as it was the most recent thing they’d talked about, it was hovering at the top of Willow’s brain. Creepy black magic was clearly a topic best left for daylight, but they could still talk about the mechanics of the synchronicity spell if these waters were too rough. Or half a dozen other topics bouncing around her hyperactive brain.

“N-not usually. Normally, I don’t really care what people think, so it makes it easy. Tonight was a little harder because . . . well, I really like you. I was worried you’d be mad.”

“I really like you, t—mad? Why would I be mad?”

“For not telling you earlier. I mean, spells usually have us holding hands, and that might have squicked you out.”

“Nope. Not squicked.” Willow smiled warmly. “I’m glad like you felt like you could tell me.”

“Me too.” Tara smiled, which made Willow relax. For some reason she couldn’t put her finger on, Tara acting embarrassed or nervous always made Willow feel anxious, and like she should stop everything to make Tara feel better. Now that things were back to comfortable, Willow’s curiosity took over. She’d never really been close to anyone who was gay before, though that was a consequence of being friends with a very small group of people. Dating vampires and werewolves: this was her bailiwick. Something as mainstream as being gay was new and interesting. “You can ask me about it, if you have questions. It won’t bother me.” Tara grinned. “Well, as long as a little quid pro quo doesn’t bother you.”

Willow chuckled. “You really read me pretty well, don’t you?”

“You wear your heart on your sleeve. It’s charming. And, yes, it makes you easy to read.” She smiled. “Well, the whole ‘astral perception’ thing helps, too.”

Willow kicked herself for not remembering to take Tara’s astral sight into account. She’d researched it, of course, the first time Tara mentioned it. The whole concept of visually perceiving things like emotion didn’t fit well into her world view; the idea was as confusing to her as synesthesia: damn confusing.

“So, uh, how long have you known? If that’s not too personal. Gosh, I bet that’s personal. Forget I asked. Umm . . . how about that popular all-male sports team? I hear they have that guy that can do the thing with the ball.” Willow nodded sagely at her in-depth sports knowledge.

Tara shot her a stern look. “Willow, weren’t we just discussing how I’m gay? I do NOT keep track of what men do with their balls.”

Eyes widening, Willow started to panic. “No! No, that’s not what I meant at al—sports, Tara, I was talking about SPORTS. You know, how most of the popular sports have teams that are all men, and they get paid lots of money for their ability to make balls do what they want. Leather or plastic or rubber balls. Not testicles, though, no siree, that’d be porn, and not sports and I seriously just brought up porn in your bed and I think I’m gonna go die in a corner now excuse m--” Willow had turned to get up and out of bed to find an appropriate corner when she felt Tara’s hand on her shoulder. She turned back to Tara to discover her laughing.

“Hey! You’re laughing! You weren’t mad at all! And then you let me just go on and on all panicky, letting me think you were mad! That’s just . . . just . . . .”

“I quite agree. It was ‘just’ just. Which is why I did it. Upholding justice is very important, you know.” Tara smirked.

“Okay, that’s it. You just look too damn pleased with yourself for that turn of phrase, missy. Which normally I would congratulate you on, but seeing as it’s at my expense . . .” Willow’s eyes glinted evilly, “ . . . that just means you need to be punished.”

The next moment, Willow was pinning Tara to the bed, with one arm pressing down across her chest, just below the neck, leaving the other free. ‘Hah. Three and a half years of vampire hunting finally comes in handy,’ Willow thought. “You need that hubris tickled out you.”

Tara squealed as Willow’s free hand began her assault, but it only took moments for her to mount a counter attack. Under assault herself, Willow let go of her pin, giving her a hand to defend herself. Though Tara was now free to move, she stayed put on the bed. Willow didn’t understand why she didn’t run for safety, but wasn’t terribly upset about her superior tactical position.

The tickle fight continued until ten minutes later, when Tara threw her hands above her head. “I give! I give! White flag! I shouldn’t have . . . done whatever it was. It was very, very wrong. You win.” Willow didn’t recognize the look in Tara’s eyes as she surrendered, but the message that Willow had won managed to get through.

“Jenga!” Willow shouted, kneeling as tall as she could, and throwing her hands in the air, victorious.

“Jenga? You best me at tickling and your reaction is . . . a tower building game?”

Giggling, Willow collapsed onto the blonde, using her shoulder as a pillow. “Oh, see, Oz, Xander, Buffy, and I used to play Jenga a lot. Which was pretty dumb on our part, because Buffy’s . . . she’s really dexterous. So she’d win every game, even when we came up with crazy rules to make it harder for her, like making her use her left hand or whatever. Anyway, whenever she won, she’d jump up and down, hands in the air, shouting ‘Jenga!’ So we started copying her, using it to mean “I win!” But obviously not after an actual game of Jenga, since Buffy wins all of those.”

Willow reflexively snuggled into Tara before her brain caught up with her. But before she could move away, she was gently encircled by strong arms. “Well, I was about to ask if this was okay, but I’m guessing the hug means it’s okay. But, just to be clear, this is okay?”

Willow felt the girl beneath her chuckle. “You’re fine, Willow. It’s nice.”

“Good, because you’re comfy, and I don’t wanna move.” Willow felt warm, safe, and happy, and she wasn’t about to give it up. The fact that in the years she’d spent the night at Buffy’s she’d never fallen asleep half on top of the slayer didn’t occur to her. The fact that she felt more at peace than she ever had sleeping against Oz didn’t occur to her. When she was with Tara, she felt like she belonged, and the feeling only increased with physical closeness. It didn’t inspire deep thoughts, it simply was.

“You’re perfectly welcome to stay.” Willow felt Tara’s hands begin to gently trace idle patterns on her back. It was soothing, and she sighed contentedly.

“So, you won’t go crazy having a gorgeous woman fall asleep on you?” Willow sarcastically teased, rolling her eyes at the ridiculous idea of her being gorgeous.

The pattern tracing came to a halt. “Well . . . since you asked, yes, tomorrow’s shower might be a bit . . . tepid. But I’ll be fine.”

“Wait . . . what? Miss “Classics/English double major,” didn’t they teach you sarcasm somewhere along the line? Or do I just not know what you being sarcastic back at me sound like? I mean, in the 42 days since I met you, I don’t think I’ve ever heard you be sarcastic, so maybe I just don’t recognize it.” Willow glanced up from her shoulder-pillow, and it looked like Tara was blushing, which just did not compute.

“Oh . . . you don’t think you’re gorgeous?” Willow could have sworn Tara sounded surprised. That didn’t compute, either.

Willow laughed, blushing herself. “Uh, no. I’m pretty sure I could pass as a 12 year old boy with the right clothes. Not exactly gorgeous material.”

“That’s . . . atypically inobservant. You’re not a vampire or something, are you?”

Willow sat straight up, eyes bulging. “No! Alive Willow here! See!” She grabbed Tara’s hand, and placed it fiercely over her heart. “Beating heart! This is actual me, not vampire me! Besides, you could tell if I was vampire me, because I’d be all slutty and in leather and licking people’s necks and . . .no, totally normal, fuzzy, living Willow here.” Met with a blank stare, Willow realized her mistake, and began to backpedal. Fast.

“Er, sorry, bad, uh, dream. See, I had a recurring bad dream where I was this evil, slutty vampire. Bad memories. So, how exactly did my obviously failed attempt at self-deprecating humor end up at creepy vampire Willow?” Realizing she was still crushing Tara’s hand into her chest, Willow let go, and proceeded to bury her face in Tara's shoulder. She felt Tara’s arms surround her once again, and she found herself less in danger of hyperventilating.

“Sorry about that. I just meant, well, have you looked in a mirror . . . ever? You’re really pretty.”

Willow felt the heat rise in her cheeks again. “Really. Oz leaving . . . not so much good for the self-esteem. It’s nice to hear that someone finds me attractive, even another woman. Which, I believe brings us back to the conversation we were having before I had a minor meltdown or two. Oh, yes, I remember. We’d gotten to the part where I was being highly intrusive.”

Tara shrugged. “Here, I can show you exactly how intrusive it is. How long have you known? That you’re straight, that is.”

Willow blinked. “I never really thought about it; I guess I always just assumed I was, since I didn’t really have evidence to the contrary. Growing up in a hetero-normative culture, it’s pretty much the default assumption.” She cocked her head to the side, thinking. “I mean, Xander and I ‘dated’ when we were five, but that wasn’t anything. And then I had a crush on him for most of middle and high school. Then Oz and I started dating junior year.” ‘Then there was vampire me, but . . . blech. Skanky.’ She shook her head, as both Oz and her vampire-world self left a bad taste in her brain. “So, I guess . . . since I was about 12? Huh. Okay, I guess it isn’t really too personal.”

“’Hetero-normative?’ God, you were raised by sociologists.” Tara laughed. “But me? I’ve known since I was 11. For me, it’s been long enough that it isn’t really an intrusive question, just like it isn’t intrusive to ask how long you’ve been straight. I don’t think it’s like that for everyone, but it is for me.” After a moment, she continued. “Well, that’s my turn to ask a question. So, Oz was your only boyfriend? Well, once you left kindergarten.”

“Yup. And I inspired him to leave. Possibly the country, I really don’t know.” She sighed. “I guess I’m just that great a girlfriend. So, how about you? You have a lot of girlfriends?”

“Only if you count a half as a lot.”

“Half a girlfriend? Man, here I was thinking that significant others only came in whole numbers. Is this some gay culture thing? Or do you count friends with benefits in fractions? I’ve never needed to myself, but if you have, that--”

“No and v-very much no.” Tara laughed. “There was a girl, Sylvia, when I was 13. We were good friends, and then it got . . . complicated.”

“Complicated?”

“She wanted to date, but I was just confused. I mean, I liked her, and looking back at it now, I feel stupid about it. But I was really uncertain about everything. It was one thing to know that I was interested in girls, but totally another to think about being with someone. It didn’t help that she lived in Davis—about an hour from our farm. We saw each other twice a week at the farmer’s market. We held hands, we hugged, and that was pretty much it. Right before her family moved, things got as far as pecks to the cheek.” Tara laughed. “I remember being so obsessed with labeling what was happening, but at the same time, not having a label to put on it. It took the better part of a year to get over trying to label it, and just to live it. Things felt a lot less stressful then.”

“Aww, that’s really sweet.”

“Yeah, it makes a sweet story. Living through it . . . it was happiness and stress and confusion all wrapped up with crazy-intense early-teen hormones.

“Wow. That sounds . . . a lot like being thirteen.”

“Yup, pretty normal teenage stuff, from what I hear. I mean, it helped that we were in Davis. Everyone there just treated us like a normal teenage couple.”

“So, kids at your school weren’t mean to you about it? Middle and high school kids were really cruel about everything here.”

Tara smiled. “That was one advantage to not having any classmates. My mom home-schooled me. She had me take some test when I was little, and I did really well, I guess. Mom didn’t want me going to a school that couldn’t challenge me, and the nearest one that was good was in Davis. My parents decided it’d be better to home school me than to have me commute an hour each way. Mom wanted to teach me magic, and Dad wanted me around the farm for chores. So it worked out well for everyone.”

“Your mom home schooled you because the nearest school wasn’t good enough? Wow . . . my parents just shipped me off to public school, telling me it was important to be ‘socialized with a population of students comprising a cross-section of intellectual ability.’ This translates from sociologist-ese as, ‘no we won’t send you to private school just because no one at your school actually likes learning.’ I can’t believe your mom actually—she must be incredible.”

“She was.” A sad smile formed on Tara’s lips.

“Oh no . . . I didn’t . . . I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you all sad.”

“It’s,” Tara took a deep breath, “it’s okay. Mom died a year and a half ago. I’d really like to talk to you about her. But it’ll have to wait; it’s too fresh to deal with when I’m sleepy.”

“Well, we can’t have that! We need happy pre-sleep thoughts. Hmm . . . the rose was pretty! I mean, blocking out the crazy creepy part, I think the floating part of the spell worked really well. I think our casting is pretty much in synch.” Willow yawned. “Mmm. Pretty flower. Next time, there’ll be pretty rose petals everywhere.”

“That sounds really great.” As her breathing began to slow, Willow felt Tara gave her a quick squeeze.

“Goodnight, Willow.”

“’Night Tara. Thanks for letting me stay.”

As she finally drifted off, Willow was pretty sure she heard Tara whisper, “Thanks for staying.”

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:33 pm 

Beautiful memory, though Willow is painfully, painfully clueless. Let's get to the breast-kissing though. Okay, I have a one-track mind. I blame it on 1:33am in my time zone. Not buying it? Okay, I'm a boob girl. Sue me. LOL

Seriously though, I hope Tara isn't too hurt or disappointed to hear Willow mutter Oz. Sheesh.

And.......early morning DIBS! Great way to start the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 am 

Avatar pic . . . uploaded. There you go: boobs.

Thanks to my friend Megan for owning a bodice and having an amazing rack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 am 

Wow...I think that might be too much boob, even for me...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:23 am 
3. Flaming O

yay! an update :D God i hope Willow figures it out soon -.- poor Tara

Post subject: Queen of Hearts Part 3: The Deal
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am 

Notes: "The Deal" takes place during the episode "A New Man."
Content disclaimer (this section): Violence: Referenced. Sex: No. Angst: Yes.
I Don't Own This Disclaimer: The entire Buffyverse (including setting, characters, and plot) is property of it's owners, including but not limited to Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy. No copyright infringement is intended by this work.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to my awesome beta reader, dlline, who is wonderful and helps me keep my tenses straight.

Chapter 1 Part 3: The Deal

“Tara!” Willow tried to pull away, but Tara’s arms held her securely in place.

“Shh, it’s okay. I’ve got you. It was just a dream. You’re awake. You’re safe now.”

Willow felt ill. The emotional roller coaster of the past sixty seconds was sickening: the horror of the nightmare, the bliss of believing the past seventy three days had been a terrible nightmare, the sting of reality flooding back, and the suddenly pressing embarrassment of kissing Tara’s breast.

“Shh, it’s okay. I’ve got you. It was just a dream. You’re awake. You’re safe now.”

Tara’s mantra did little to assuage Willow’s concerns. Clutching desperately to the least-soul crushing of the overwhelming emotions battering her, she was currently focused on the embarrassment. “Oh, gods, Tara, I’m sorry. I’d just woken up and like I said I’m pretty used to sleeping next to Oz . . .”

“Willow . . . .”

“ . . . and so when I woke up and was being held I thought it was him and that him leaving had all been a nightma—“

“Willow!” Never having heard Tara speak so forcefully, Willow’s train of thought was successfully knocked off the tracks to panic-ville. For the first time since waking, she looked over, distraught, to the woman trying desperately to comfort her.

“Willow, really, I’m a lot more focused right now on the screaming. And the shaking. And the sweating. D-do you need anything? Water? Juice? Anything at all?”

Screaming. Shaking. Sweating. The alliterative trifecta had become her nightly ritual. Running a quick self-diagnosis, she found that Tara was correct: once again, the nightmare left her shaking uncontrollably and drenched with sweat. “Sorry about that. I should have warned you. I only scream out loud . . . let’s see, tonight is the twenty-ninth time versus seventy-three total nights, so 39.72 . . . 6 . . . 0 . . . 2 . . . 7 . . . 4% of the time.” Responding to the look of anguish and concern on Tara’s face, Willow looked down and quietly explained. “Every night since Oz left.”

“D-did he hurt you? Physically, I mean. You seem r-really scared.”

“No!” Willow paused, choosing her words carefully. She trusted Tara implicitly, but dating a werewolf didn’t make a lot of sense if you didn’t live in the slayer’s world, and Buffy’s identity was on a need-to-know basis. Tara could be trusted, Willow was sure, but she didn’t need to know. At the same time, Willow needed to talk. She felt like she could talk it out with Tara.

“He didn’t actually hurt me. But my dream . . . see, it starts out exactly like the confrontation he, Veruca and I had the night before he left. But then it gets . . . worse. He comes into the room where she and I are arguing, and he tells her to leave me alone. Then, in some sort of dream-sensical metaphor logic, he and Veruca morph into werewolves or something, and they fight to the death. Oz wins, but . . . but when he sees me, he doesn’t know it’s me. Because he’s changed. Then he . . . attacks me . . . and . . . goes to . . . rip out my throat. So I . . . start screaming . . . and I wake up.” Willow choked up as she got near end of her description, and when she was done, she broke down and finally let herself cry, burying her face in Tara’s shoulder once again.

Willow sobbed, and Tara held her close, gently running her hand through her hair. Willow had never told anyone the details of the nightmare before. She hadn’t told Buffy the nights she’d shaken her awake to stop the screaming. She hadn’t told Giles when she had him help magically soundproof the walls to her room at home so her parents wouldn’t hear her scream during winter break. She hadn’t told Xander the night she fell asleep in his basement after watching Charlie Brown. She’d gotten away with telling all of them she was haunted by the memory of Veruca trying to kill her, and she’s certainly not told any of them it occurred every night. Finally, with Tara, she’d felt safe enough to admit to nightly torment.

With the weight off her chest, Willow finally began to let go. She cried for the feelings of inadequacy Veruca had inspired. She cried for the betrayal that overwhelmed her when she had discovered her lover naked with another. She cried for the pain of watching her peaceful, quiet Oz deliberately kill another. She cried for the terror of him lunging at her, unrecognizing and animal, ready to kill. Finally she wept for the loss: for the sense of security and comfort and self that Oz had taken away with him. How long it took before the tears stopped she didn’t know. Once she was through, she moved to sit up. And this time, Tara didn’t stop her.

Willow wiped her eyes and looked helplessly down at Tara, whose shoulder was, by the look of it, soaked through. “You, uh, said you had some juice?” Tara nodded and smiled. She took a bottle from her small fridge and poured Willow a glass. She settled back into bed while Willow took a long drink.

“Is that any better?”

Willow could tell Tara meant more than just the presence of the juice. “Yeah, it is. On all fronts.” She lifted her glass. “I’ve got some water and electrolytes in me, so I won’t be quite as hung over in the morning from my binge crying. Plus, I got a lot of crying done that I’d been holding in for a long time. Not that I haven’t been crying, mind you. Just not about the right things.” She tapped her forehead, finally able to smile at the memory of the last pleasant morning she’d spent with Oz. “It’s always so busy in here, I’m not always good at triage.” She paused to think. “I don’t feel as broken any more. I mean, I still feel sad. But not broken.”

Tara smiled and refilled Willow’s cup. “I’m glad.”

Willow chuckled. “You know, oddly enough, so am I.” She looked seriously at Tara and took her hand. “Thank you. For everything.”

Tara looked down and looked embarrassed, though Willow couldn’t grasp why. “You’re welcome.” Looking up, she added, “That’s what friends are for, right?”

“For things like this, I think you have to be pretty special friends.” The possible double meaning of ‘special friends’ came to her, and she remembered her earlier mistake. “I am really sorry about, uh, you know, kissing you. I know you said you think I’m pretty, and if someone I thought was attractive did that I think if would have died. So yeah, very, very sorry.”

“Well, you warned me you might think I was Oz. I didn’t think you’d go for second . . . .” Willow felt herself turn a deeper shade of red, and stared down at her juice.

Tara smiled. “I’m teasing you. Think Ford Prefect, Willow.”

“Ford Prefect? Think cars? No . . . Oh! Right! Douglas Adams. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. You mean don’t--” Willow smiled, and looked up. “I am not panicking,” she insisted.

Tara raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

Willow sighed, defeated. “Maybe a little.”

Tara laughed. “Look, I’ll make you a deal. Until and unless you say the magic words ‘I’m interested in you,’ I promise I’ll file all our physical contact as ‘totally innocuous,’ whether it be about the magic, or friendship, or total honest mistake. If you make me uncomfortable, I’ll ask you to stop, but unless I do, you don’t have to apologize. Deal?”

“I can live with that.” Willow yawned. “Can we go back to sleep?”

“We can go back to sleep.” Tara lay back down onto the bed.

“And can there be snuggling?” Willow gave Tara her best winning smile.

Tara held out her arms. “There can be snuggling.” Willow took back her position lying on Tara’s chest, and Tara once again wrapped her arms around Willow.

“Tara?” Willow asked sleepily.

“Hmm?”

“A deal means we both have a part. You said what your part is. What’s my part?”

“Your part of the deal? If you decide you’re interested, you better tell me.”

“I promise."

Willow fell asleep, and for the first time in seventy-three nights, it was completely peaceful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:54 am 

Tell her, tell her, for goddess' sake!! :wtkiss :wtkiss :wtkiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Quote:
Ford Prefect? Think cars?

This made me laugh out loud. Here in the US so many people never got the joke implicit in Ford Prefect's name, and so i LOVE that your Willow did.

Your Tara seems pretty comfortable in her own skin - once she gets the initial coming-out done anyway..it's nice to see.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Yes! im totally loving how fast you're getting the updates out! X]
I really like the way that you are developing Will and Tara's relationship
hope that you keep the goodness coming! ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

"What's with the telling?" was the next phrase that came out of my head for the next paragraph.

Choice of response:
"Because we've become a really good friend and I don't want things to be awkward between us"
"Because....pssst..., I have feelings for you"
"Because, I can't wait for you to say that to me."

Yup, lately I have all sort of continuation line each time I finished reading a fanfic. LOL :kitty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:25 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Okay, right, that car went over my head, but I wasn't seriously injured.

I'm very glad this happened before Willow and Tara became Willow and Tara because yes calling current by ex's name can be ill-advised.

But that's Tara all the way, being such a good "comfortador" for someone she cares about, and I mean caring of any kind.

I love the cards-on-the-table approach they're both taking, agreeing to use plain l;anguage with each other as regards where their relationship is going at any particular time.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

Post subject: Queen of Hearts Part 4: The Reminder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:32 pm 

@Everyone: Holy shit, they're right. Feedback IS like a drug. Woah. #highnow #whyyesIdouseTwittertoomuch

@LonelyTara: I promise you, there will be boobs. I have them written down, even! But then I decided to pull back when the story started to put space between Tara coming out and them getting together. Since I don't have the space between there and here outlined, I can't tell you exactly how many posts you'll have to wait. But they're coming. Looming boobs. #okaythatendedupinadifferentplacethanitstarted

@Morrigan: I have a confession. Since I started writing this story at the beginning of "The I in Team" and then later backed it up to "A New Man," it was perfectly obvious to me that Willow and Tara weren't Willow AND Tara yet. I asked dlline if the post was angsty, and in reference to the last line she said, "Ouch! That's cold. Dude!" I didn't get why. Then I read my feedback. Then I thought, "Ooooooh. That would be cold. Oops."

Also, my feeble explanation for Willow remembering that the Prefect is a car before remembering THHGTTG is that when she was considering attending Oxford or Cambridge, she spent time researching England and somehow internalized the car name. Yeah, that makes sense. (The only reason I know it's a joke is because I read an interview with Douglas Adams where he talked about Americans not getting it.) I did think it was cool that, based strictly on original air dates, this happened 42 days after they met. #theanswertolifetheuniverseandeverything

@Paint the Sky: You win a shiny nickel! #yesthatisanepisodeonereference #buffynotstarwars #goaskXanderforit #didimentionimanerd

@DaddyCatALSO: The space in which their relationship takes place is going to be important to whether or not they can keep up the cards-on-the-table approach; Tara is very different in public and in private, which gets played up in the next couple of updates. But I really got the vibe from NMR that Tara is very much a "this is where I am, figure out where you are, and I'm down with it" sort of girl. #unnecessaryhashtag

Notes: "The Reminder" takes place during the episode "A New Man."
Content disclaimer (this section): Violence: No. Sex: No. Angst: No.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to my awesome beta reader, dlline, who coincidentally has a similar take on Tara as me, which makes it easy just to focus on the writing, not the 'no really in my story she's like this.'

Chapter 1 Part 4: The Reminder

That afternoon found Tara’s desk covered magic books, each open to a different spell of protection or blessing. Her bed was covered in schoolbooks, class notes, and homework. Tara, however, lay on her back in the middle of the floor, staring at the ceiling. Every train of thought she tried to board ended up taking her to the same destination, so she’d resigned herself to thinking about the one subject on her mind: Willow.

The past forty-three days had been had been an exercise in punctuated equilibrium. Since meeting Willow, the majority of Tara’s life remained unchanged: classes, meetings with the mundane pagans, studying. But then there were the times Willow was there. It was always so intense that those times certainly felt like they had made up most of the past month and a half. This misperception was fueled by the fact that Tara always spent the day or so after seeing Willow lying on her dorm room floor, staring at the ceiling, and reliving every moment of their shared time. Just like she was today.

“Mom, you will not believe the crazy day I had. Very strange twenty-four hours. Last night Willow came over again. She called at 10:30 at night, totally out of the blue, asking if I wanted to try a new spell she found. Of course I did. I mean, casting with her reminds me so much of our lessons, it feels a little like having you around again. Plus, as I’ve said before, she’s really hot; no way am I turning her down if she wants to come over. Anyway, she shows up at my door five minutes later holding a rose. Now, despite the fact I was pretty sure she’s straight—which, by the way, I confirmed last night, but I’ll get to that—my heart just leapt to my throat. Thankfully, she explained right away that it was for the spell, and I was able to breathe again. I’m crushing on her so bad, Mom. It’s ridiculous.

“So yeah, the rose was for this spell we tried for testing synchronicity. And at first, it went really well. I’m always so surprised we can cast together. We have such different ways of looking at magic. I don’t understand why it works at all. But ever since we moved that soda machine, we’ve just been able to do it. I’ve looked it up, and everything I’ve read says it shouldn’t work. I suppose that being about to die can overcome the obstacle of different magical traditions, and it just stuck. If I ever write a book on magical theory, I’ll be sure to throw that in there.

“Anyway, like I said, the spell worked really well at first. We had the rose in the air, and were about to start the fine tuning, where we pluck all the petals off the flower. But before we got the chance, this dark energy just took over the spell. We totally lost control: the flower went crazy and shot around the room. You know how I feel about my room: it’s my sanctuary. Donnie was kind enough to arrange for my room to be the only place in the world I feel safe enough to just be me. You can imagine how I feel now, having had black magic rip its way through here. That’s what all those books are about.” She pointed at her desk. “I need to re-bless the room, and put up some warding spells. That’s what I should be working on right now. But I can’t. I can’t concentrate. That’s how bad I’m crushing on her, Mom. My sanctuary has been broken and all I can do is lie here on the floor and tell you about her.

“That’s just the start of the craziness! So due to the totally freaky black magic, we both decide it’s safest for her to stay the night. That forced my hand on the whole ‘coming out’ angle. Not that I didn’t want to tell her. I was just hoping to be over this crush before I did. But I wasn’t going to let her stay the night without her knowing. It turns out I was worried for nothing. She was so great about it Mom, you wouldn’t believe. She even suggested we share the bed right after I told her. She just was curious about how long I’d known and if I’d had many girlfriends. That’s Willow. Curious about everything.

“And get this! We’re in the middle of talking, right, and I make some silly language joke. Before I know what’s going on, she’s pinning me to the bed and tickling me. I guess they don’t warn straight girls that a full half of all lesbian fantasies start with a tickle fight and turn into a make-out session. After I while I couldn’t take it anymore. I surrendered before I lost the will not to pin her to the bed and . . . well, do naughty things I wouldn’t tell my mother about, even if she can’t hear me. I’m so very, very glad she doesn’t have astral perception. She totally missed the look of “I want to jump you so bad right now” that I know I couldn’t keep in check. I’m sure she missed it because she then proceeds to collapse on top of me. I had to pinch myself. I was so sure I was dreaming. But no, I was awake, and the straight version of the girl of my dreams just WANTS TO SNUGGLE.

“I even managed to subtly confirm my assumption that she’s straight by pulling out the old ‘how long have you known your straight’ line. I prayed to every god and goddess in every pantheon that she’d correct me and say she’s bi, but to no avail. And before you start in on me, yes, I know it’s selfish to pray for something menial like that. But Mom, it felt so right, her cuddled into me like that. It was so amazingly perfect. I mean, I flat out told her I think she’s gorgeous and she didn’t flinch. Didn’t get up to move. Just fell asleep half on top of me. She has single-handedly redefined both ‘bittersweet’ and ‘masochistic’ for me.

“Now, since was the night of everything turning crazy, that wasn’t the end of it. No, instead in the middle of the night I wake up to her screaming. Instead of bubbly, happy Willow in my arms, I wake up to her screaming, soaked with sweat, and shaking something fierce. So, I started to comfort her, and BAM! She instantly relaxes, but only for a moment. She kisses my chest, making me think I’m dreaming, called me ‘Oz,’ (her ex), which made me think I wasn’t dreaming, and then she just tenses back up and starts shaking again. I think that was when she figured out it was me, because she started freaking out over the whole kissing thing. It paled in comparison to her screaming, so I don’t know why she made such a big deal about it. To make a long story short, she’s been having these really bad nightmares ever since her ex left her. I think he must have hit her or something. She denied it, but . . . she was so afraid, Mom.

“Oh, and somehow in the subsequent discussion I basically told her that not only did I think she’s gorgeous, but that I want to date her. It totally made sense at the time, but now I’m a little worried. This morning she didn’t stick around at all. It was so weird. She gave me a hug, and thanked me ‘for everything,’ but rushed off, saying that her roommate would be really worried if she didn’t meet her for breakfast. She was totally genuine about everything, and didn’t act embarrassed. But she woke up and within two minutes she was out the door. She’s so easy to read, but she’s so confusing at the same time. We never make plans ahead of time. She never asks when she can come over again, or says that she’ll see me soon or anything. She’s just here, and things are intense, and then she’s gone for days with no word, and then she suddenly shows up again. And why would her roommate be freaked if she didn't come home? Isn't this college? Isn't she single?

“So, that was my day. Pretty crazy, right? I think I need to go find a girlfriend. That might help me get over this crush. I saw a banner for a lesbian student alliance. I guess I could go there. If I were a single lesbian looking for a date, that’s where I’d go. Of course, I am a single lesbian looking for a date, so maybe it’s just wishful thinking that others have the same idea. I just hope there are more actual witches there than in the Wicca group. Ugh. I get this feeling that they all picked Wicca as a religion because it’s the one that would piss of their parents the most. Except Willow.” Tara stood up, and started pacing.

“See! Even when I’m trying to figure out a way to find a girlfriend so I stop thinking about Willow, I come back to thinking about Willow.” She walked over her desk, and grabbed a post-it. “That’s it, I need to focus. Let’s see, Willow doesn’t speak Latin, but she knows enough from magic to figure some things out. But Greek, she doesn’t speak any Greek.” Tara grabbed a pen and wrote herself a reminder in Greek:

January 25
Confirmed: Willow’s straight. Stop crushing on her before you lose control and do something stupid that costs you a friend.
Naughty thoughts are not welcome. Please stop now.

Tara stuck the note to the wall above her desk. After looking at it for a moment, she sat down to go over the protection spells. Every time her mind wandered back to Willow, she looked up at her note.

“This is going to take forever.”

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:52 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 2
Early Morning dibs!

First off, 7 Things to Do Before I'm 30 is the only Lifetime movie I've been able to watch from beginning to end. :) It was such a cute movie...and of course it didn't hurt that Amber was starring in it, either. ;-)

Secondly, I'm pretty sure that I'm kinda in love with this story. Your Tara character is lovely.

Awesome story and I can't wait for the next chapter!

~Angela

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:23 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Awesome story! Its one of the few ones set in season four that I can keep up with and completely adore. I love Tara talking to her Mama about her Willow troubles. Can't wait for more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 am 

Totally sweet update--more soon, please! I love Tara writing in Greek to hide her thoughts...doesn't she know how curious Willow is? She'll just see it as a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Absolutely believeable train of thought here, well, umm, from my way-outside perspective. :blush
And yes, leaving a note around in *any* language, that Willow might see, a recipe for mischief :-).
My aunt told me back in the 90s that she still talked to my grandmother every day so I see where Tara's coming from.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Heh. Keep telling yourself that Tara.

I am enjoying this...and yes, yes, feedback is QUITE addictive...

i'll supply you with more for more story....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:32 am 

@Everyone: Sorry for the delay, this section kicked my ass. I had the next section already written, and had to make everything tie up okay. Thanks for reading and enjoying and being patient.

@angieb86: You know, I haven't actually seen the film. Just found that clip when I was looking at this clipof Benson playing Janet for the Rocky Horror Anniversary. It's not on Netflix, and I can't even find a place to completely legally download it.

Also, my story enjoys hot chocolate, visits to the zoo, and potted--not cut--flowers. You know, if you had a desire to court it.

@Everyone who commented on the note: Why yes that was blatant telegraphing for future events. Some of which we'll see here.

Rating: PG-13 for this section (Language). Up to NC-17 for later installments.
Notes: "In Which There Is Floating, Flirting, Filing, and Falling" takes place during the episode "A New Man."
Notes the second: If you don’t speak “Harry Potter,” Wingardium Leviosa is the hover charm, and Finite Incantatem ends a spell's effect. And yes, both of these spells appear in the books that were available to Willow at this point. I checked. Why yes I am a nerd, why do you ask?
Content disclaimer (this section): Violence: No. Sex: No. Angst: No.
Acknowledgments: Thanks to my awesome beta reader, dlline, who says inspiring things like, “if this section kicked your ass, it doesn't sound that way in the telling.” /happydance

Chapter 1 Part 5: In Which There Is Floating, Flirting, Filing, and Falling (aka In which Willow is a huge fucking tease, that bitch)

“I have got the best idea.”

“W-Willow?” Tara urgently blinked the drowsiness from her eyes, and took in the sight before her. Willow was standing—no, bouncing—at her door, obviously both highly caffeinated and excited. Energy was just rolling off of her. Some of the sleep gone from her eyes, Tara focused on the book Willow as holding aloft and making dance in the air: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. “Um . . . come in.” Tara backed into her room, giving Willow room to enter.

Willow practically danced into the room. Wordlessly, she dropped her backpack next to Tara’s chair, and smoothly continued to the middle of the room, turned to face Tara, and plopped herself down in the middle of the floor. She looked up at Tara and gestured to a spot on the floor directly in front of her.

‘I’m dreaming. That has got to be it. Though I swear I was dreaming before the knock on the door woke me up. Dreaming about tickle fights turning into hot make out sessions. Damn it! I promised her I’d classify that as totally innocent. Technically . . . I didn’t promise I wouldn’t fantasize about totally innocent thi—NO. BAD. THOUGHTS.’ Tara glanced back at the reminder she’d written herself that afternoon. ‘Ye gods I need a girlfriend.’ She took a deep breath and sat down across from Willow.

“Wi--” Tara was cut off by a stern look and a rapidly raised finger that gestured for her to hold on. Willow brought the digit slowly to her lips, and Tara understood she was to be quiet. ‘What the hell is going on? When did,’ she glanced at the clock next to her bed, ’11:30 become ‘awesome Harry Potter idea’ hour? Come to think on it, when did it become 11:30?’ Tara would have continued to ask herself questions for which she had no answers, but Willow was moving purposefully now, and that captured all of her attention. Even if she were to find herself a girlfriend, Tara couldn’t imagine not being intrigued by watching Willow move. It was enchanting.

With a slow, over-exaggerated reverence, Willow placed the book on the floor between them. Reaching her right arm back behind herself, she produced, with a flourish, a foot-long one-inch diameter dowel. For a moment, she held the dowel in the air between them, and performed an excellent Vanna White impression with her left hand. She dropped the dowel down so it hung an inch above the surface of the book, which she then tapped twice. She raised her arm again, which gave her room to gesture.

Wingardium Leviosa.” In time with her words, Willow gave the impromptu wand a swish and a flick. Slowly, the book began to rise, and after a few moments, the book hovered steadily a full foot and half above the floor.

Tara looked from the book to Willow and then back to the book. It was perfect: the words, the pronunciation, the gesture, the timing. The blend of fiction and reality was seamlss. Smiling broadly, she looked back to Willow, who had an expectant look on her face. “That is the best idea!”

Willow beamed at Tara. She tapped the book once more and commanded “Finite Incantatem". The book fell to the floor. She jumped up and threw her hands in the air. “Jenga!”

“You win? W-what did you win?” Willow-ese was its own language, and Tara was pleased she was readily learning it.

“The ‘making Tara smile’ game. Duh.” Willow continued her victory dance.

“That’s a game now, is it?” ‘She’s not flirting. Totally innocent. Filing: go.’

“Of course. I like it when you smile. It’s pretty.”

‘Did she just sa—filing, filing, whatever filing is in Greek.’ Despite her best efforts to the contrary, Tara could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks.

Willow dropped down and sat back on her heels, looking at Tara straight on. “Besides, you have no idea how much better today has been compared to every other day since Oz left. Talking made such a huge difference. I wanted to say thank you, and I thought that trick would make you smile. I meant to drop by earlier, but there was an emergency; okay, that part kinda sucked, but the rest of the day was good. Wait . . . you totally looked all sleepy when I came in. I didn’t wake you, did I?”

Tara laughed, and fell backwards so that once again, she was lying facing the ceiling in the middle of the floor. “Mom, did I say twenty-four hours? That implied it was over. Add time on the surreal clock, please.” She closed her eyes and signed, contented. Life with Willow in it was weird. But it was a good weird.

When Tara opened her eyes, her vision was consumed by Willow’s face, looking confused. It only took a split second for Tara to realize exactly how this must be happening. A quick glance to the side confirmed it: Willow was on her hands and knees, one hand on either side of Tara’s head. She was leaning down low, so that only about six inches separated their faces. ‘I would barely have to lift my shoulders off the floor to kiss her. Which I’m not going to do. Not gonna think about doing it, either. No, I’m just going to gently tell her she’s being a tease. Any second n--’

“What clock?”

“Oh, right.” Tara was grateful for the distraction. She had never had to explain her discussions with her mom: no one had ever witnessed it before. Willow’s presence in her room was so normal, so natural; she hadn’t given any thought to addressing her mom while Willow was there. “I talk to my mom. Not like a séance. I just talk at my mom . . . technically at the idea of my mom.”

Willow still looked confused. “That part needs unpacking: the idea of her?”

“Okay, let me back up. As long humans have been aware that they die, they’ve speculated on what happens to the person’s soul, to use a modern term, after the body dies, right? The magical tradition Mom taught me has two positions on that front. The first is that what happens after you die is what you believe will happen. The s-second is the belief that reincarnation is optimal for nature-based magic users: since some of the magical ability stays with the soul, reincarnation keeps magic-empowered souls around, as well as increasing that soul’s connection with the Earth. Mom wanted to be reincarnated, so as far as I’m concerned, she was. That means I couldn’t talk to her even if I could pull off the right magic: she has someone else she needs to be.”

“That . . . wow. That’s a really neat idea. I like it.” Willow smiled down at Tara. “But you didn’t tell me what clock.”

‘She’s not moving. Okay, this is officially too much of a turn on to let continue.’ “Uh, Willow?”

“Yeah?”

“Do remember how yesterday I told you that I’m into you?”

“Yep.” Willow nodded, cheerfully, still unmoving.

“I want you to think about how you’re kneeling right now. And unless you’re planning on kissing me in the next, say, t-thirty seconds, I’d like you to check your mental definition of the verb ‘to tease.’ Could you do either one of those for me? Though I warn you that the first one would be pretty hard to file under ‘totally innocent.’”

Willow started to chuckle, but stopped abruptly. Tara watched Willow’s eyes move to each of her arms in turn. Embarrassment and abject horror oscillated on on her face as she pushed herself back on her heels.

“Um . . . I . . . yeah, okay, I could see that was . . . sorry. Not trying to . . . . “

“I know. Really, it’s okay. I asked you to move, and you did. I told you last night: it’s not a problem unless I ask you to do stop and you don’t. I don’t expect you to divine what’s going to be over the line.” Despite Tara’s reassurances, Willow still looked slightly uncomfortable. Tara moved to rescue her. “So, the clock bit. Earlier I told Mom that I’d had a really crazy twenty four hours, what with the rose and coming out and you being wonderful about it. But now you show up and are adorable. So, the surreal clock shouldn’t be over yet.”

“You talk to you mom about me?”

“Well, sure. I mean, growing up Mom was my best friend. I always talked to her about everything important in my life. Observations on my day. Girl t-troubles. Everything.”

“So, do I count as observable or trouble?” Willow’s smile had returned, and was accompanied by a hint of . . . pride?

‘She picks up on everything. Which is part of her charm. Everything . . . is going to include post-it notes written in languages she doesn’t understand. Time to work out a plausible lie. But first . . . .’ Tara sat up, and looked Willow in the eye. “You . . . are fishing for compliments.”

“Me?” Willow sputtered. “How so?” Were it not for the huge grin on her face, Tara might have believed the act that Willow as was aghast at the accusation. Yet there it was.

“You,” Tara whispered, as she leaned in conspiratorially, “asked if you’re ‘observable’ so you could hear me tell you you’re pretty again. I suppose saying you’re being adorable wasn’t enough. And you asked if you counted as ‘girl trouble’, because you wanted to hear me say that I am deeply upset with the universe for your straightness.” Tara sat back, and left the whisper behind. “Both.”

“You are too damned smart, you know that?” Willow protested, a child caught with her hand in the complement jar.

“I’m sure that rates highly on your reasons not to date me. I can see it now.” Tara mimed writing out a list. “One: can keep up with me smarts-wise. Two: has conversations with dead people. Three.” Tara paused, and looked thoughtful. “Oh yeah! Girl.”

Willow’s grin turned evil. “Oh yes, I was planning to enumerate those for myself tonight. Thanks for taking care of that. I wouldn’t want to have forgotten and accidentally asked you out before I got the chance.”

“Okay, now you’re teasing me on purpose.”

“Maaaaybe.“

Tara grinned. Willow was clearly relaxing, falling into playful banter. She glanced at her the books on her desk, and made a decision. “Hey, apropos of nothing . . . can you help me with something?” Tara stood, and reached out her hands to help Willow up.

“Sure need me to fix your--” Willow glanced around the room. “I mean, build you a computer? How do you not own a computer? How did I not notice you the lack of computer in this room? How do make me so damned inobservant?”

“No, easy, distraction, and by being extremely compelling.”

Willow laughed. “So, whatcha need?”

“See all those?” Tara nodded at the desk. “Each is open to a spell. They’d be stronger with your help. You up for it?”

“Am I ever not up for magic?” Willow approached the desk. Immediately, she pointed at Tara’s reminder. “Greek, right?”

“Hmm? Oh, that. Yeah, Greek. I take it for my classics major.” ‘Totally staying calm.’

“What’s it say?”

‘Of course.’ “Oh, it’s just a reminder to do the assignment for next week.” ‘That’s right, Mom, this girl has me telling lies in my room. Not just boring lies of omission, bald-faced lies.’

“I’m in your homework?”

“What?” ‘No, no, not cool, getting caught in my own lie not okay . . . but, Willow hates non-computer languages. She can’t read my note. No, calm down, if she could read it she wouldn’t have asked what it said. Okay, unless she’s really, really mean. Which she’s not.’

Much to Tara’s dismay, Wilow pointed right at her name. “That, right there, is the phonetic spelling of my name. It’s not the word for the tree--I forget what that is, but they’re different. See, here,” Willow tapped her name. “That’s the closest you can get to ‘Willow’ using Greek sounds.”

“H-how do you know that?”

“Oh!” Willow bounced. “I can write my name in lots of languages. Paper?”

Numbly, Tara pointed at a notebook on the table.

“Okay, so here’s the IPA--international phonetic alphabet--pronunciation of my name.” Willow carefully wrote ‘wɪloʊ on the page. And here’s how you right those sounds in Hebrew (that’s the first one I learned; weird since it’s mostly vowel sounds) . . . Arabic . . . and Japanese katakana, only two letters: ヰロ . . . oh, and this is the kanji for the tree . . . and Sanskrit . . . and Greek. See? It matches.”

“I . . . I thought you hated languages. Well, non-computer languages, anyway.” ‘I could have written ‘she.’ We wouldn’t be having this discussion if I’d just written ‘she.’ Not like I’d forget whichgirl I’m busy lamenting the straightness of. And that thought ended in a proposition, but I don’t really care right now.’

“I do. Learning Hebrew for my Bat Mitzvah pretty much turned me off to the whole idea. But figuring out my name isn’t language. It’s finding the right code for the sounds that mean me. And now that I say it out loud, it’s incredibly vain, but . . . it’s a puzzle. I like that kind of puzzle.”

“It doesn’t sound vain. It just sounds like you.” Despite the fact it was throwing a wrench in her plans, the page filled with different ways to write ‘Willow’ was endearing. 'I have got to keep that page.'

“You don’t get off the hook that easily, though. Why am I in your homework?”

‘Damn.’ “Oh, we’re supposed to write a paragraph that employs the use of both the aorist and the imperfect tense--two different past tenses with different meanings. So I thought I’d write up how we met. Don’t worry, though. It can sound like fiction.”

“Neat. Soon, our soda-machine moving magical muscle will be immortalized. In Greek.” Willow flexed. “Though less alliterative, I imagine.” Seemingly satisfied, Willow turned her attention to the books. “Ooh! Spells!” After glancing at the top few books, Willow turned to Tara. “Uh, Tara? Are we blessing a church?”

“Nooo . . . .”

“These spells . . . this is a sanctuary spell . . . this is a warding spell . . . this is a blessing . . . . If were not blessing a church, where are are we casting these spells?”

“Here.”

“You want to turn your room into a sanctuary?”

“It already is.” Since she’d decided to involve Willow in the protection and blessing of her room, Tara knew this conversation was coming. The ‘what’ of her possessiveness about her room was something she didn’t mind sharing. But she hoped Willow wouldn’t press the ‘why.' Tara was determined that Willow never know that Donnie existed, let alone know what a cruel sibling he had been. At the same time, telling Willow that she didn’t want to talk about it would just make her more curious; since Tara was so comfortable telling her anything else, it would stick out. And Willow noticed things being out of the ordinary.

“I don’t get it.”

“My room, this space: this is where I’m free to be me. I don’t have to be brave here. But take me out of this room . . . that all wilts. I don’t feel secure anywhere else. I pull into myself. You saw me at the Wicca group. I just get all shy and nervous and . . . .” Tara rolled her eyes. “Not to mention my s-stutter gets a million times worse.”

“You stutter?” Willow looked genuinely taken aback.

“Yes . . . Willow, I just stuttered the word ‘stutter.’ How could you not notice?” Tara eyed her up and down, and everything screamed ‘surprised:’ posture, facial expression, and aura. Nowhere could Tara detect any inkling that Willow was pulling her leg. “And . . . you’re totally not kidding me.”

“Why would I kid about something like that? That would be really mean.” She paused for a moment, pensive. “Seriously? You stutter?”

‘God I love he—nonofucknoFUCKNONO! I am not falling in love with her, no matter how endearing she is or how I feel safe letting her in to my space to the point I want her to help me bless it or how amazingly hot she is or how she’s actually a witch—okay, that line of thought is over now.’ In an attempt to hide the blush she once again felt rapidly forming on her cheeks, Tara dropped her head and looked pointedly at the floor.

“Hey.” Tara felt Willow’s finger on her chin, urging it back up. “Don’t be embarrassed. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I honestly never noticed, so I was just surprised.”

“Oh, i-it’s okay. I just . . . I got made fun of a lot as a kid. I don’t like thinking about it too much.” ‘And technically, none of that is a lie. Not why I looked embarrassed, but still all true.’

Willow frowned. “Jerks.” Willow’s eyes went wide. “Is it really nearly midnight?”

“Well, you knocked at about 11:30, so that makes sense.”

“I did? No wonder you looked all sleepy. I woke you up, didn’t I? But . . . you're dressed.”

“Oh, yeah, I guess I must have fallen asleep looking all of these up. I wasn’t in bed or anything.”

“Well, we need to be rested for all these spells. Protections spells are draining, and if we do them tired, they won’t work very well. Are you free tomorrow? I could come over after dinner. Maybe seven? Though, you have a lot of spells here . . . no way we’ll have the energy to do all of these in one night, even with mochas. Might take all week. What do you think?”

Part of Tara was curious how Willow knew so much about protection spells. That part was completely drowned out by the part that was just tickled that Willow was interested in making plans ahead of time. Lots of plans. Regular plans. “I’m free all week after six, so, yeah, seven works for me.”

“But now I think there should be sleep.” Willow smiled hopefully at Tara.

“Willow, you’re free to spend the night whenever you want. Including tonight.”

“I was hoping you’d say that. I came prepared, see?” Willow grabbed her bag, and opened it to reveal blue pajamas.

“The boy scouts would be very proud, I’m sure,” Tara chuckled.

“Great! Homophobic misogynistic Christians would be proud.” Willow scowled.

“Good thing they have ointment for that burn. Bitter much?”

“Boy scouts got to do knots and have pocket knives. When I was six, all I wanted was to be a boy scout. Then mom explained that I couldn’t join because I was a girl. I was pretty upset.”

“Poor baby. Well, I learned all about knots and pocket knives on the farm. I can teach you.”

“Yay! Sleepovers and knots.You’re the best, you know that?” Willow threw her arms around Tara in a big hug. Tara returned the gesture, her eyes locked on her post-it note.

“Oh, shit! My book!” Willow ran over to the forgotten Harry Potter book, still on the floor. “Can’t let this get stepped on.”

“I meant to ask: how did you end up with a UK copy? I mean, the US version calls it the ‘Sorcerer's Stone,’ since we’re too uneducated to understand the reference.”

Willow looked proudly at her book. “My friend Giles is British and a librarian. He’s helping me collect them. This is a first edition, and look.” Willow opened the cover to reveal a squiggle penned on the title page.

“You have a signed first edition?” There were few possessions Tara could imagine being jealous about. This turned out to be one she didn’t need to imagine.

“You bet. I have all three, all first editions, all UK editions, and every one is signed. Like I said, my friend Giles is helping me collect them.”

“Wow. That’s some friend you’ve got.”

“Well, when you’re one of the only people who visits the library at all, let alone daily, you make friends with the librarian. Oh, yeah, he’s not just any librarian. He was my high school librarian. We got to be pretty good friends.”

“That’s pretty cool.” Tara found herself struggling to keep her eyes open. “Bedtime?”

“Oh, right, bedtime. Good idea.” Willow grabbed her backpack, and moved for the door. “I’ll be right back.”

Fifteen minutes later, Tara found herself in absolute heaven: once again, Willow had fallen asleep in her arms, cuddling into her. The warmth on her chest and the look of peace on Willow’s face left Tara feeling completely secure, despite the fact she hadn’t managed to cast a single protection spell that day. “Mom?” she whispered, once she was certain Willow was asleep.

“I think I’m falling in love.”

Last edited by BeMyDeputy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:30 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 6
Hey! I got a dibs!!!!

I haven't been leaving lots of feedback lately, but this story is just great. May I say I'm delighted you're using Greek? I studied Greek in highschool, great language. I'm still a little puzzled about how you'd spell Willow in Greek though. They don't exactly have a 'W'. Sorry if I get carried away, that's the Greek-geek speaking :p

Anyway, great story. I love the playful tension between the two of them, only, when is Willow gonna realise there's a beautiful girl just waiting for her??? Honestly, when she found out Tara was into her, I thought it wouldn't really take much longer...

It won't, will it?

Anyway, keep it up! :kitty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:23 am 

I'm glad you like the Greek; a friend of mine was a classics major, which prompted the idea. I've only studied English, Spanish, French, and Japanese formally. And linguistics. But I had to write a Spanish paper one time for that used the preterite and the imperfect, so I looked up the Greek equivalent.

If you look closely, I actually say it's the closest you can get to "Willow" in Greek. I think that the best approximation of Willow is υιλω, but I that's based on Wikipedia. The initial dipthong is a stretch, yes, but it's the closest I can see. Also, Diphthong is a cool word. So is portmanteau.

Language rocks.

I'm also a big fan of the banter. I spent a lot of time flirting with hot straight girls in high school; I knew they were straight, so it was just fun for me, and they knew that I knew, and that I was just having a good time, so it turned into a game rather than stress. I wanted to try to capture some of that feeling.

And now, not long: part three of the next chapter; this was the last part of chapter one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:33 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
Enjoying this quite a bit.

I love how Tara's dorm is her sanctuary (much as the room they share/shared at Buffy's did) when she explains what that means to her to Willow.

I also liked her explanation on her belief and talking to her deceased mother, nicely done.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:41 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 6
Quote:
Also, Diphthong is a cool word. So is portmanteau.

:rofl

Wish I had your confidence, flirting with hot straight girls :p. I used to have a huge crush on a straight girl in my class. I got over it though ;)

And yay on coming-soon kissage! :kitty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:24 am 

Oh man, definitely my favorite chapter so far. Hearing Tara's internal monologue as she speaks to her mother, trying to fight her love for Willow, is just enchanting. Willow is pure Willow, bouncing, energetic, and a bit clueless. I love that they are comfortable enough to tease, and I love love loved that Willow knows her name in so many languages. I do kind of wish Tara had told her the truth at that point, but again, I have a feeling Willow's curiosity is going to kick in. Please update soon? :wtkiss :kgeek

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next