The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doppelganger Redux
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:41 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

No need to worry, Tec, if people are still interested...I had forced myself to stop reading when I realized this had not been updated in a long time. Now that I see you are actively working on it again...I will be catching up over the next few days.

Good to see you writing again! I'lll be back with content feedback after I have caught up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:50 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I can't tell you how excited I am to see you update once again. I loved this fic when you originally began posting, but I long ago resigned myself to seeing it never finished. Yay for updates!
I haven't read your latest updates yet (I am going to reread the story again first to refresh), but I just wanted to point out that it looks like chapter 23 is cut off... I'll post my comments soon, thanks for writing and posting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:18 pm 
3. Flaming O

Thank you Tujkey. You are right the post was cut off. I am posting the remainder of Chapter 23 here. I apologize for the confusion.

Tec

White Leg’s fur tickled against her cheek as the girl carefully hopped from rock to rock across the narrow creek. The water was low, but the creek bottom was a muddy mess of earth and leaves and so the girl let go of a sigh of relief when she reached the other side.

She pulled the tiny cat from inside her jacket and set her on the ground. “See, I told you I’d let you out just as soon as we crossed.”

As if to show there were no hard feelings, White Leg flipped on to her back and waved her paws. The girl laughed, a gentle sound that mixed with the songs of the birds that flew overhead.

“So you still love me, huh?” She crouched down and began rubbing the cat’s soft belly. Her fingers brushed over well-fleshed ribs.

“You’re not nearly so thin since we’ve been having better luck catching fish for our dinner.” She glanced up through the forest canopy at the afternoon sky. The sun was sinking towards the west and a slender white crescent of moon was becoming visible. “I suppose we’d better get a move on. I’m hoping we find a clearing before night fall so we can have a fire. Last night was way too cold.”

White Leg flipped on to her feet, stretched her back, and then cocked her head towards the girl, as if asking what are we waiting for, before setting off on her own along the creek trail. Grinning, the girl fell into pace behind the tiny cat.

The two had been forging through the woods for several days. Although the sounds of the animals that roamed at night made the girl nervous, food was far more abundant here than before when they had wandered along the white sea. Using a small net, she had been able to catch fish the past several days. Also, she had identified several varieties of roots and berries that were safe to eat. Worried their luck would not hold out, the girl wisely packed some of the food away. Still, she could not help but think the angels of the woods wanted to help her and White Leg.

She could never really see them, but sometimes she could hear them whispering to each other during the night. Also, she could hardly ignore the gifts they left for her: a warm jacket, sturdy boots and cushiony socks, a matching toque and gloves, plus a larger knapsack which contained, among other things, a thick blanket and a small ball of catnip. Sometimes it seemed there was one, other times it seemed there were two. She wondered if they knew why she was wandering the woods, or if they could tell her where she should be heading, but she did not let her questions interfere with her gratitude for their kind bounty. Besides, for all she knew White Leg was an angel as well and so she held back her questions and followed the small cat with the single white leg, confident that when the time came, if she had not yet found the coming evil, the evil would find her.

An hour or so later, they came upon a glen. The girl could tell from the thinness of the air they were still high within the mountains; still, the expanse of grass and wildflowers that lined the floor of the narrow valley could not help but remind the girl of her hometown of Blackbird. She followed White Leg into the center where they found the remains of a fire. It was the first evidence of other people she’d seen since she and White Leg had fled the city.

She used the toe of her boot to push apart the remains of wood and ash. “This looks weeks old, maybe even years. What do you think?”

As usual, White Leg kept her opinion to herself.

The girl gave the cat a curious look. “Do you want to watch me gather some firewood, or do you want to take a nap?”

This time White Leg made her opinion known. Without ceremony she curled herself into a small ball and closed her eyes. The girl’s face broke into a wide and affectionate smile as she pulled her gaze from the tiny cat to scan the forest’s edge for fallen branches.

Less than half an hour later, the girl had built a small fire, encircled within a ring of flat stones. From her knapsack, she pulled a few wild potatoes, which she rested inside the layer of stones. She then went to scout for the rest of hers and White Leg’s dinner.

A small rabbit gave its life so that the girl and White Leg could continue their quest. After retuning to the camp site, she set aside the now baked potatoes and built up the fire. A long hand-carved hardwood stake served as a skewer for searing the meat.

What it lacked in spices, the meal more than made-up for in necessary calories. Their bellies now fill, both soon fell asleep, White Leg tucked inside the curve of the girl’s body.

A dream within the dream soon began to unfold and the girl found herself wandering the streets of the empty city. This time White Leg stayed behind, still the girl quickly was able to orient herself in the direction of Books of Shadows. Sure steps quickly led her to her destination, a place she now visited regularly in her buried dreams, but which she forget again as soon as she awakened.

As usual, he waited for her in the room behind the door marked “Private.” Eyes framed behind wire-rimmed spectacles and older than the she could imagine blinked with pleasant surprise.

“My Tara, you’ve come at the perfect time. I just put up a pot of peppermint tea and a plate of homemade cookies. Join me?”

The girl gladly did as her teacher asked, accepting the chair nearest the tall iron stove that took up the entire corner of the room. For a while the two enjoyed each other’s silent company sipping their tea and munching on cookies, but the girl’s natural curiosity soon overcame her. Warming her hands around her cup, she glanced around the rest of the room trying to guess the subject of the day’s lesson from the books and instruments strewn about the room until she heard a low chuckle. “Am I so obvious?” She asked, sharing her teacher’s smile, before taking a bite into yet another of his delicious cookies.

“It’s your eagerness to learn that delights me, my dear. I cannot remember a more enthusiastic initiate for,” the teacher glanced at the ceiling, “at least five centuries.”

The girl’s eyebrows raised. “Even more than my mother?”

The teacher placed his cup atop the mahogany tea tray before comfortably folding his hands across the his ample stomach. “Ah, your mother.” He paused for a moment as if trying to recall her face. “She was a treasure, but so are you. Sadly, I’m afraid you will be the one who will carry the heavier burden. This apprentice of yours grows stronger day by day.”

“Is he still unaware I preceded him to his destination?”

“His arrogance has grown to such proportions he cannot imagine any impediments to his plans.” The teacher rose from his chair and moved towards the broad library table that dominated the room. His silk grown patterned with crescent moons and five pointed stars drifted about his leather clad feet, and his pointed hat listed decidedly to the left. He reached among the piles of books and manuscripts already pulled from the dozens of book shelves that lined the room. “I am confident he is not yet aware of any of our plans, which is good for us. Surprise is always a kind ally in these sorts of matters.” His fingers closed around a narrow leather bound volume. “Ah, here it is.”

The girl place her tea cup next to her teacher’s and moved to his side. “Barton’s treatise on Water and Air?”

“However did you guess?” The teachers asked, letting his pride at her deduction show on his face.

“I noticed the faint scent of rosemary on the air, the four beeswax candles on the shelf, and the three holly leaves in the mixing chalice and concluded today’s lesson would be on ice guards. From there I just guessed.”

“I’m pleased to see that you are retaining your histories.” The teacher opened the volume to a page marked by a narrow bamboo leaf. “I know you found many of our early lessons dull, and I can understand why. Sifting through the histories of witches and wizards of centuries past is hardly an appropriate pastime for any person under the age of two hundred, let alone two and twenty, but a—“

“Good foundation in the past helps to ensure the best possible present.” The girl said, completing her teacher’s sentence for him.

“Much better said than that rather tiresome adage about those who fail to learn from the past repeat it. I always prefer stating things positively rather than negatively. But I suppose we should set upon our tasks. If you would bring the candles to the table, I think we can get started.”

The girl did as her teacher asked, handing him his the candles and then stepping out of his way as he moved to the northern corner of the room to create the blessing circle. After placing the candles at the four compass points, he drew a small cotton bag from one of his many pockets and spilled a mixture of ground bitternut and holly berries to mark the circle’s outer boundary. When he finished the girl moved closer, but waited outside the circle until her teacher beckoned her in.

She breathed in the scents of the room, the spices, the candles, the lingering scent of peppermint and chocolate chips. As her eyes closed, her heartbeat slowed and her breath deepened. The elementals rose around her, their tendrils passing through skin, muscle and bone, wrapping against her lungs and heart, encompassing her body and soul. She listened to her teacher’s instructions and began to build the field in her mind’s eye, a latticework of pulsing blue energies. When the shape was sound, he asked her to stop. Her eyes opened.

The girl reached out with one hand, letting her fingers gently brush against the open-mesh of directed light. “I supposed we’d best move this outside before we add the final touches.”

“My housekeeper would not have it any other way. She gets decidedly cross whenever I do air and water castings inside the walls of Books of Shadows.”

“How is Mrs. Edwards? Is her rheumatism any better?” The girl asked, because even though Mrs. Edwards never spoke but with vinegar in her voice, she knew there was nothing but kindness in her heart.

“I’m afraid her knees are worse than ever, poor dear. I really must remember to gather some supplies on my next visit to your reality. She really is quite taken with this drug called ibuprofen. Claims it’s a miracle.”

The teacher noticed the look of bemusement on the girl’s face. “You’re wondering why I don’t use magicks to cure her?”

Blushing, the girl nodded her agreement.

“We may be of great age, Mrs. Edwards and me, but we want never to forget we are human. Folly comes to those who use spells or conjures without true necessity. The first error your apprentice made was when he forgot that most important lesson.”

Once both of them had stepped outside the circle, the teacher snapped his fingers and muttered a short incantation. Immediately, the latticework began to float over the teacher’s back, forming a kind of cape. To the girl, the patterns and colors of the teacher’s silk dressing gown and the conjure seemed to combine, reminding her of the reflection of the star and moon light upon ice covered rivers.

The teacher shivered exaggeratedly as he too stepped from the circle. “My that is cold. Come, come. Let’s speed our way to the front door. Perhaps you might take the lead?”

Outside, the girl was not surprised to see White Leg waiting on the steps. The tiny cat lay on her side, one leg lazily tracing the shapes of the clouds in the sky. Teacher and student carefully stepped over the small creature and headed for the middle of the street. No longer in any danger of drenching the library with an unexpected ice melt, they reassembled the conjure.

As the latticework spun away from the teacher’s body, the girl used her fingertip to stretch it into a three by five foot wall of energy. Some of the tendrils escaped, floating to the ground or into the darkening sky, others wove themselves deeper into the pattern, creating sparks of green iridescence. Moments later the teacher softly asked the girl if she was ready. On her nod, he spoke the final instructions.

The girl took in a quick breath before completing the incantation. Her eyes opened in time to see the flash of light as the latticework transformed into a solid wall of ice. Cold radiated from the shining surface, and the girl could see her and the teacher’s reflections on the wavy surface. Impulsively, she leaned forward and blew a warm breath across the surface. Droplets of water formed and trailed lazily downward.

“They always say to fight fire with fire, but sometimes a good defense is better than a strong offense.”

“How long will it last?” The girl asked, stepping backward to stand next to her teacher.

“Depends on the air temperature and the sun, but I can promise you one of these is more than sufficient for temporarily starving off a fire-breather. And since none of them are present,” the teacher threw his hands above his head, “Abracadabra.” With a flash, the ice wall blew apart into a cloud of falling snowflakes.

Laughing, the girl put out her tongue to catch the bits of ice and air. “When I was a little girl, I always expected snowflakes to be sugary.”

“Like bits of cotton candy spun from the sky?” The teacher asked, as he too tried to catch a few of the errant flakes. “I shared a similar fantasy, but I liked to imagine they tasted of cinnamon and nutmeg.”

The girl thought for a second or two before asking, “Like eggnog?”

“Why I suppose so.” The teacher realized with a grin that faded into a gentle smile. “But I suppose it’s time I sent you back.”

“Already?” The girl questioned, her own smile beginning to fade, and her limbs beginning to weaken. “There is still so much for you to teach me.”

“And there is still time for you to learn, my dear sweet girl.” The teacher reassured. “Next time I see you I’ll have ginger cookies. But for now, it’s time to return you to your dreams.”

Wincing, the girl’s eyes opened upon the night sky. Millions of stars blazed across above, and a crescent moon hung overhead. In the distance, she could hear wolves calling to one another and trees rustling in the wind. Suddenly feeling small, she cuddled White Leg to her body, and turned her eyes to the still burning fire. Warmed by its heat, closed her eyes once more.

Please jump back to find Chapter 24!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Location: Stumbling about the intersection of primal cause and pervasive entropy
Tecnopagan,

So, many years ago I started reading Doppleganger Redux; and I was thoroughly intrigued. Such complexity and layers, slow reveals of plot intertwined with powerful emotion; all bittersweet yet hopeful too.

And as I resigned myself to the likelihood that it might well never be completed, I still found myself going back to it for rereads, savoring the nuances, and deciding that if this was all, this was enough.

To see this heading towards completion, well, it's enough to bring me out of a very dedicated lurkdom. This is the one story I fervently wished to see completed---thank you so much for coming back to it.

cmf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:33 am 
4. Extra Flamey

wonderfull surprise this update, thank you....

Post subject: OMG )*@%#&!#^%(&@$%(&!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:38 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

so excited to see this back on, c! really! i missed you! PM me, please. soooooooooooo much to catch up on. also, i need to get this story in one doc again to re-read (although i still remember EVERYTHING!). =) xo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Aaahhh! reading the new bits make me feel so happy. happy that my favourite fic has been reborn, and hopefull that this time might result in a conclusion, so that my own poor conjectures will at last be put aside. I'm with Cool Monster Fighter on this, my thoughts exactly.

and nice to see some of the old names still here Hi Rane! :waves

a load of my favourite sites got lost when my 'puter crashed and burnt [literally] and I never got them all back the Kittenboard was one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:32 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hello, several long ago readers of DR have asked for a "reading" copy of chapters 1-24, which seems a fair request given the lengthy time between updates and the length of the story. Of course, my preferred reading includes all of the comments from over the years, but I am rather large with the weird, so don't mind me.

In any event, if anyone would like an "ebook" edition of the chapters posted thus far, drop me an email at technopagan78@yahoo.com and I will forward you the ebook copy as an attachment. Warning, even "zipped" it's a large file--just over 450 kb.

The ebook version includes the continuity fixes and what not. DR is still a work in progress, of course, but it's a work progressed beyond its initial postings in 2002 and 2003.

The remaining chapters will be posted as usual. Any future ebooking will have to wait until completion.

Best wishes and happy reading,
Tec

P.S. and F.Y.I. I have also posted DR at live journal under the name technopagan78, as an extra backup copy. All future chapters will be posted here first.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:59 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hi Tecnopagan,

Thank you so much for sharing this brilliant tale. You weave complexity, sensitivity, and most of all love throughout. Please continue to write. You have a gift.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:26 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hello Shyheart, Still Waters, Rane, Edob, Cool Monster Fighter, Tujeky, and Morrigan,

Thank you for the encouragement to keep writing DR. It means the world to me. I have to admit I've been wondering if the story is past its freshness date so to speak, but I've committed to finishing it, so expect more posts.

I hope to soon begin working with two beta readers to help me iron out some of the rough spots. Completing a novel is turning out to be far harder than getting one off the ground, it seems.

I will try to get another chapter on the board soon.

Best Wishes,
Tec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:11 pm 

Topics: 1
Wow.

I am so thrilled that this story has been updated. ("Thrilled" actually seems too mild, I'm that happy...) It is hands down one of my top five favorite fics, ever. I was a lurker back when you were previously posting, always too shy/intimidated to leave feedback, and then later I didn't want to bump a "dead" story and get people's hopes up... SO, I am ecstatic that I get to write now and tell you how much I love this story. I love it. A lot.

Your characterizations are simply brilliant and spot-on; this easily could have been show dialogue. It is crisp, funny, warm, snarky; the best of Buffy, and happily, all the characters are top form - not a weak one in the bunch. You really nailed each one's core self, and the relationships ring true. The plot is suspenseful and heartfelt. I yearn to know what will happen next as each chapter comes to a close. It is absolutely outstanding that you've managed to make me - and I'm sure many other readers - care about the two Tara's equally. That is a huge task and you've done it seemingly effortlessly. And, aside from the Buffyness, your writing is brilliant. The world you've created is vivid and engaging; the prose just flows. It is so very easy to get lost in this story.

My wife recently read the story for the first time, and I was so happy for her when I found out. Even incomplete this story shines and was well worth the investment, but now, knowing it will be finished - holy guacamole. Yay! I can't wait to see how it concludes, and I thank you very much for picking it back up after such a long hiatus. I am impressed and inspired. Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:18 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Tecnopagan,

Where did the "h" go? I hope its safe out there in the scary letter underground...

So, I felt compelled by the awesomeness of DR to leave you feedback. Somehow, I missed this gem back when you first begin posting it. I recently read from the beginning and am hooked.

What a wondeful coming back Tara story. My wife and I just rewatched season four and are working on season five... makes me recall all those qualities about Tara that made Willow, the Scooby gang and us all fall in love with her. You capture that here as well. You really get the cannon personalities and the overall darkness of the show.

Since I wasn't able to comment on the individual updates (so sorry) I will just say thank you for the very lovely story and I am so happy you are back to finish it. Congrats on that. I look forward to what's to come!

"We live our lives, do whatever we do, and then we sleep - it's as simple and ordinary as that."
Michael Cunningham, The Hours

Last edited by pipsberg on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:55 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
wow-ee! My eyes are watery, having stared at the computer screen for so long but I finally finished re-reading, and DR is just as good as I remember.

The characters are so very complex and well-developed and the dialogue seems so natural. Picking up even after all this time is seamless, I'm so happy you found your way back to this story.

I absolutely love the scene with Willow and Tara in her old dorm room. How touching that Anya sealed it and that Tara, who we've seen to be stuttering and somewhat timid at times in her new world, utterly comes alive. The image of her twirling and smiling and remembering, knowing what happened there, as if it infused her with that same love and courage. What a kiss. Absolutely perfect and rather symbolic that a new beginning took place at the place of their beginning. So lovely.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:41 pm 
3. Flaming O

I just want you to know that I've spend the past two days reading this fic, it took me some time to realize that it was started all the way back in 2003 and I've been crossing my fingers that it wasn't just left to float around. So, you have another faithful reader, utterly hooked on the story and very much wanting to see a good ending to it as well! It's amazing how you have continued it like you never left off, well done with that! I really enjoy your writing style, it has a way of dragging the reader in and not letting go again, teasing with details of some very engaging characters. I wonder why no one ever thought about the other Tara seeing as Willow was all vamped out.. Thank you for a very good story so far, I'll be on a lookout for more!

~The Show Must Go On by Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I can not find the words to express how happy I am that this story has been written. I first came across it years ago and loved the first part that I found. I started to re-watch the series just before Christmas and recently got to the heart-breaking last part of season six (genuinely find it hard to watch beyond Entropy) and it was then I remembered the fantastic world of Fan Fiction and this story came right back to me. Absoulutly loved reading it again but as I noticed the pages remaining to be read diminishing in number and the dates still firmly in the early to mids 2000's, my heart sank. I was so overjoyed to see that as I reached page 9 that the updates had been added so recently, I swear I may have yelped in joy! Such a beautifully observed piece of writing. Thank you again Technopagan78 for giving me back Tara.
I really missed her....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

After meeting you the other night and putting my foot in my mouth I crawled under my Rock of Shame and reread your fic (I have internet access under there, in addition to the minifridge). Now I remember why it made it onto my Short Lista year or two back, despite being unfinished… because most of the fic on there are ones I wish to learn from. I try to learn by example (in part due to having never taken anything remotely related to a creative writing class) and yours is one of the 25 I look to for that. Well, that and the particularly detailed feedbacks, which are instructional in their own way- which leads me to…

I get terribly nervous feedbacking people whose work I respect, but having read through the feedback of Ye Olde Days (2002-ish) I've come to the opinion that detailed/specific feedback is the highest sort of praise I can offer... so here it is. First, things about the fic in general- including a great deal of what I've appreciated (and hope to mirror someday):

A) Voice. You capture the interactions of the characters so well, and specifically how those interactions differ from each other. Willow and Tara, Willow and NuTara (it's New and Tara and Nutella, all in one! ^_^), Willow and Buffy, group dynamics- each has their unique cadence. You allow dialogs to fully evolve without simply sticking to plot/character advancement. The humor feels spontaneous- something that many have trouble with. The only thing that has been off for me has been Willow-babble, but I am hard pressed to say why… maybe I'm just remembering that particular dialog pattern incorrectly from the show. On the other hand, you've managed an Anya that is just the right amount of forward, without falling into the everything-is-about-sex pattern that some people (like me, unfortunately) have.

B) Pace. I am a sucker for long fics, but there is an art to making that reading worthwhile and I am hypersensitive to pace (though I can't judge it in my own work to save my life). You have a solid internal plot arc and an external one- the external one forces the internal to proceed, as most good external plots do. This was one of BtVS's good points… it wasn't about slaying vampires. It was about the people who do it and how their lives are changed. You keep up the evolving changes and the group's evolving reactions without completely losing the lurking menace. We all love to hate Warren (to the point where no one seems to have written him as much more than a one dimensional prick, which, I guess, follows cannon)- I have to wonder whether he had his own ghost to deal with… after all, victim-of-flaying's spirits are not likely to 'move on' either. Did the Warrens combine? If not, the menace has probably taken care of itself and croaked (which would be anticlimactic, but kinda funny). If they do… tech and magic in conjunction, with the memory of what Willow did to him… mmm. Lots of potential.
But I digress. You pay attention to the moments without bogging down the story in them, have side occurrences that don't interrupt the flow, and your chapters feel complete in and of themselves as well as being part of the overall work.

C) Internal consistency. You have your rules and not only do you stick to them, you allow the characters to discover them. Given the degree of curiosity, experience, and invested interest present in the group, it is only natural that there is discourse over what makes magic tick. *grin* It doesn't hurt that your rules aren't far off from my own Unified Magic Theory- there is something to be said for familiarity. I also like how you handled the mysterious money issue... now, can you explain why they have basements, despite being in SoCal?

D) Not having to use direct thought to indicate what a character is thinking. Or maybe you don't separate direct and indirect thought and I just haven't noticed… either way, it works.

My attempt at constructive criticism:

The continuing dream… reminds me of too many novels that I had to write "deeper meaning" essays about in high school, trying to guess what the teacher thought was important rather than using my own perspective (i.e. twisted mind). I guess that I need my allegories to be subtle to accept them without that knee-jerk resistance. Extended metaphors can be big and obvious, but the nature of allegory lends itself more readily to insidious machination, in my opinion (ref: Narnia, Lord of the Flies, The Lottery). On the other hand, Hotel Kilo had blatant allegory that worked just fine for me- perhaps because the meaning was inherently obvious, whereas the dream here feels like a big setup... of course, if the payout at the end is worth it, all is forgiven. It's just a gamble for it to be such a prominent part of the story.

On the latest chapters, specifically:

Quote:
a quartet of male students were in the front kicking a hacky-sack between them, demonstrating precisely why none of them had girlfriends.

*snerk* Ahem. There is a point here, beyond my personal enjoyment.
It is this kind of descriptive language that gives more detail than precise visual description could accomplish. Not only do we get the visual, but also the perception/judgment of the POV-carrying character on that scene. Without even describing the girls' reaction to what they see (which can be quite difficult in the case of subtle amusement) we can imagine the little "uh huh, real cool guys" lift of the eyebrows, a little smirk repressed for politeness' sake- all of which occurs in response to an inner dialog. Much more efficient your way. There are only a few of these that pop up (probably a good thing) and they strike me as being a very Willow (or Anya, actually) way of looking at the world; it gives voice to the narrative.

So… I don't give feedback often, but when I do it's a bit wordy. Hope you don't mind.

-Never

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am 
3. Flaming O

Thank you to everyone who has been reading DR and especially to those who have posted feedback. Reading DR is quite the time commitment, and so I am very grateful to have an audience for it. New chapters are on the way (I am working on Chapter 29 at present--and as I have already announced there are 33 chapters necessary to bring DR to a close).

EasierSaid, I am delighted you and your wife have enjoyed DR thus far. That you find DR's plot suspenseful is terrific to hear as that is a major goal for me, and another is to realize the Buffy characters as they were in their glory years (which for me is seasons 3 through 5), so I am glad to hear I am succeeding on that front also. I am also delighted to hear of your investment in the second Tara character. My biggest worry regarding DR had to do with her and whether readers would accept her. While she has "inherited" much from our Tara, she is also herself and making her way in a strange new world. That readers feel compassion towards her is key to DR's success as a story.

pipsberg, as I said to EasierSaid, I am very glad to hear I am succeeding at linking my versions of the canon characters with the show characters. For me DR is an alternate season seven, admittedly a mini-season (it covers a mere two months), but a season all the same. So it's important to me that the canon characters ring true.

Zooeys_Bridge, I'm glad you have come back to DR, and taken the time to read it from the beginning. I hope you will be able to find the time to rest your eyes. I think I rewrote the "kiss" scene at the close of 24 four or five different ways before I figured out it needed to happen in canon Tara's dorm room. The bit about Anya sealing it was for me a tie back to Anya's reaction to Joyce's death (that all death is senseless and confusing) and the hint that she and Tara had been friends (the short scene where they talk about money). As for the "twirling and smiling and remembering" I wanted to show the union of canon Tara and DRs Tara, a union that comes together because of their love for Willow, but also a hint of who DR's Tara might have been had she not faced such difficult circumstances. Finally, it had always seemed to me that canon Tara' s dorm room was the place she'd come into her own, so to speak. It was where she could do magick, love, study as she pleased. The dorm room and the roof were to my mind magical places for her and for W/T, so I did not think there could be a better place to see the "new" Tara come alive than canon Tara's dorm.

Nenyath, I am delighted to have "hooked" you into DR. I am astonished that BTVS did not make more use of the alternate universe, especially given the fan fascination (and writer fascination) with vampWillow. The premise established with Doppelgangerland of parallel realities is so rich with possibility, but perhaps it felt to the BTVS writers too in debt to Star Trek and its "bizarro" world.

Dreamer, I restarted DR for many reasons, not the least of which I was missing Tara (and Willow, and Buffy, and Xander--you get the point), too. I am glad you are continuing to read.

NC, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed response. As we discussed last night in the chatroom. I suspect my rendering of Willow-babble mirrors more her high school days than her college years, perhaps the "off-ness" you sense may be due to my making Willow sound too "young." I am glad you like my Anya. For me Anya's sex talk is but an aspect of her overall directness as a character, as Xander says in DR, Anya is their get to the point person. She is without filters, but she is not without intelligence and wisdom. And she is also not without emotional depth--Anya feels things profoundly (one need only remember the scene where Anya speaks about Joyce's death to known this about her). Writing Anya in keeping with her very complex personality is hugely important to me.

Regarding pacing, that has been a constant struggle for me. I have pulled out big chunks of DR where its become bogged down and rewritten other chunks where it was gliding too fast. For me there are several stories at play--there is the big bad that is coming (and things are now heating up), there is Tara's story, which is a continuation of canon Tara as well the life story of DR's Tara, there is Willow's story of coming to terms with what happened in season six, and there is the story of the Scooby gang--the stories of Buffy, Xander, Anya, Dawn, and Giles, all of whom have a conflict to resolve and all of whom have a goal to achieve. Weaving the threads together is tough and fascinating work. As a writer I have learned uncountable lessons.

About basements, Buffy's house on Revello drive is a craftsmen home (check out the interior), many of which had partial (rarely full) basements, so it's not entirely strange. As it happens, two of the three houses I have lived in since coming to So Cal had basements--one a craftsman, the other a Queen Ann Victorian. Would that my current house, a 1939 California bungalow, did since my furnace is on the roof! So, in any event, this is why I've never had a problem with Buffy's basement, lol.

About thinking, I narrate their thoughts as opposed to speaking them. This allows me to mention impressions, sensory input, discoveries, conclusions, and so forth without dialogue. Also, I am highly in favor of having a unified magic theory!

The dream--as I explained last night, the dream (like the big bad plot) is heating up, payoffs are soon coming. I hope my readers will enjoy/accept the purpose of the dream sequences (crossing fingers).

Finally, the hacky-sack scene. I wanted to shift us into Willow's pov, so I used something she would see (not Tara). Canon Willow, especially in the earlier seasons, always had a snarky side, subdued but present. For me, Willow and Anya have much more in common than a love for Xander, they are both intelligent and independent women who work towards goals and suffer fools badly--however they have been socialized under vastly different circumstances. Anya was never for me the new Cordy, she was always a different Willow.

But that's enough out of me, back to my writing.

Tec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:42 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey Tec!

I am about to read your story. Unfortunately I couldn't download it even with eReader, so I decided to come here.

D. :peace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I love this story, hope to hear more updates soon

Post subject: Re: Doppelganger Redux (update 2-3-2010)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Hey D, I hope you're enjoying the long read.

Good to hear from you New Slang. As it happens, I have an update right here . . .

By the way, D let me know that several of my earlier posts to DR were cut off during the transfer to the current KB host. You can find all the previous chapters posted at http://technopagan78.livejournal.com/.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Professor Espenson snapped shut her book bag and offered off a few rapid fire reminders before ending class, all of which Willow had already noted in her calendar. Another student asked about an upcoming assignment and Willow answered automatically, her brain focused on the usual five things at once, in this instance integrating Professor Noxon’s discussion on Mill on the Floss with the prior discussion of Wuthering Heights, rethinking a line of code for her network security assignment (actually completed by the third week of school, but it didn’t hurt to triple-check), reminding herself to check with Buffy before stopping at the grocery store for milk, checking for remnants of gum on the floor (Lecture Hall 131 was notorious for gum), and the one constant in her thoughts: the kiss from two nights earlier.

They’d not kissed again, but holding hands was different now, cuddling under the covers was different, too. They now slept on their sides and curled together, Willow on the inside. Not everything changed, Tara still whispered in her sleep, Willow always woke in the middle hours of the night. Their relationship was evolving, but how and why? The day before Tara and she had gone to the Espresso Pump (a post-boot buying treat) and Willow had watched wonderingly as Tara added without thinking one sugar and a splash of non-fat to her tea. Wonderingly because she’d stopped drinking her tea with sugar and a splash of non-fat almost a year ago, wonderingly because now she could not remember why she’d stopped. Little steps, delicate steps, steady and sure, moving towards something neither could speak aloud, and Willow could not begin to fathom entirely.

Willow’s eyes drifted towards a nearby clock: three p.m. The same as on her cell phone and laptop and probably on all the clocks at Benton’s Clockworks at Morgan and Magnolia Boulevard. Class was over. She was now out of her chair, row six, chair three (some things should never vary) and stepping around the laggards attempting to gain the good graces of Professor Espenson (as if simply smiling at their professor would curry favor!) before slipping out the door and into the always crowded corridors of Regents Hall. Some sharp maneuvers around a pair of Goths and a dodge to the left of three football players and a sorority girl wearing a pair of drawstring pants with the word “Juicy” stitched across the bottom and Willow broke free, coming out into the sunlight. Her eyes searched the benches lining the university main mall and she spotted Tara sitting cross-legged, an open book resting on her lap, looking out towards the obelisk that dominated the mall’s southern end. Willow started towards her, a grin opening up on her face as soon as Tara took notice and offered her shy smile in return, the one Willow could never think was anything but adorable.

“Hey, you,” Willow called out as she drew closer. “Were you waiting long?”

“Not long,” Tara said, moving off the bench.

“What’s that you’re reading.”

“Forrest of the S-Souls, it’s a book by this tarot master named Rachel Pollack. Anya is letting me buy it on credit.”

“On credit, huh.”

They were now standing within inches of one another. Not sure, more tentatively than she liked, Willow leaned closer, kissed Tara’s cheek, and whispered near her ear, “Thanks for coming to meet me,” before pulling back and asking, “Should we head over to your friend’s bookstore.”

Tara brushed her fingers near Willow’s. “Albert’s expecting us. There’s probably going to be cookies.”

“Cookies,” Willow repeated as Tara took her laptop bag from her shoulder. Even though she adored the gesture, she said, “You don’t have to carry that.”

Tara smiled her lop-sided smile. “I know.”

It was one of Willow’s drive to campus days, and so they took the car to Albert’s even though afternoon parking in downtown Sunnydale was its usual nightmare.

“I keep meaning to ask do you know how to drive?”

Willow was finishing parallel parking her car on the side street around the corner from Albert’s used bookstore. A spot found after four circles around the block.

“One of my foster m-mother’s taught me. I used to pick up her kids from school. But I was too young to apply for an actual license.”

“Your foster mom let you drive around without a license?”

“Routine vampire attacks kind of over-s-shadowed the letter of the law thing.”

Willow glanced at the passenger side mirror to confirm her tires were sufficiently close to the curb. “I was asking because I was planning on reactivating Tara’s old license.”

Tara made a sound showing surprised, and Willow gave herself a mental slap upside the head. She’d intended to be far more suave. Instead, she blurted the idea, she didn’t even ask it as a question. This was more and more a problem lately. What happened to smooth Willow? There was a time, an admittedly brief time, when suavity might not have been her middle name, but certainly a potential nickname.

“You could do that?” Tara said, getting out of the car and unaware yanking Willow out of babble-thoughts.

“I’ve already reactivated Tara’s social security number and medical records at Sunnydale Hospital,” Willow followed Tara onto the sidewalk. “I never took her off my automobile insurance, so that stuff is already squared away.” It’s what my Tara would have wanted Willow didn’t add.

“You did all of this for Buffy, before I mean?”

“Pretty much,” Willow confirmed, her words coming out slowly. “Buffy hadn’t passed her behind the wheel driver’s test, but I sort of gave her a license anyway.”

There was an expression on Tara’s face she couldn’t read, and Willow jumped to a conclusion. “You’re getting a wig about my messing with public records. I know it was over-stepping.”

“Will, I’m not getting a w-wig about your giving Buffy a driver’s license, I don’t know . . . I guess I’m impressed.” Tara stopped them on the sidewalk. “I m-mean all these things you have to keep thinking of, taking into account. I can’t help you with any of it.”

“Hey. I didn’t mean to—”

“We’re being too careful,” Tara interrupted.

Amusement and something Willow couldn’t quite identify showed in Tara’s eyes. Whatever it was, it soothed Willow’s nerves.

“I guess it’s part of the newness; we’re still wiggy with the new thing.” We’re still wiggy about the kiss Willow didn’t say, but neither did Tara. Which was why Willow’s inner suavity was kaput, she almost realized.

A smile broke out on Tara’s face, one soon mirrored on Willow’s. Standing in the center of the sidewalk, they shared the smile as others passed them by until Tara said, “Let’s go.”

Twenty steps later they found Albert at his usual post, but with a tea pot and three cups set, plus a plate of ginger cookies. “You must be Willow. I can’t tell you how much I’ve looked forward to this day,” he said, coming from behind the counter and holding out both hands.

Albert was an inch or so shorter than Giles, dressed in a slouchy knit sweater with a shawl collar, dark slacks, and well-oiled oxfords. Hands roughened by age and something else clasped around Willow’s, and eyes the color of sapphire bore deep. From somewhere deep in the back of Willow’s thoughts she realized they’d met before, but she couldn’t place a time or place.

“Have we met?” Willow said. “I’ve not been in here before, but . . .”

“Probably, here or there. I’ve lived in Sunnydale a very long time.”

Willow thought she detected the faintest trace of an accent. “But not always?”

“No, not always. But come, let’s sit behind the counter while the tea is hot and the cookies still warm.”

Uncle Albert’s Books Used and Almost New was exactly like and unlike what Willow expected. Books lined the walls floor to ceiling, additional shelf units maybe a meter and a half tall ran down the center of the store in two rows, back to back, balancing against one another. Carelessly written cardboard labels marked sections: history, life science, physical science, psychology, philosophy, literature and popular fiction. There was an entire section devoted to poetry, and another to theology. She couldn’t account for why she’d never stepped inside until this day; she’d even intended to on a few occasions, hoping to find a novel or a book of stories. Interested because Xander had described the owner as an older and more casually dressed version of Agent Mulder, someone open to “extreme possibilities,” and Spike, of all (undead) people, had once mentioned there was no better bookstore for poetry, but something had always seemed to come up, she’d find what she was looking for elsewhere or she’d realize she didn’t need it.

Willow accepted a second ginger cookie off a plate she was reasonably sure was Noritake china from the company’s “Nippon” era and continued to listen to Albert and Tara chat about Rachel Pollack, the author of the book Tara was buying on credit from the Magic Box. Apparently Pollack was some famous expert on the tarot and in this reality a fiction writer as well, much to Tara’s obvious delight. Willow tucked that bit of information away in one of the corners of her mind and made a mental note to investigate, but mostly she simply watched Tara interact with someone Willow didn’t know, realizing she was seeing very clearly the Tara who’d lived on her own for years and who’d grown up faster than anyone else she knew, including Buffy. Willow listened to how Tara choose her words and how her stammer came and went and how it seemed less connected to the emotions she was feeling at the time and more to the actual words she’d said before. Her Tara had stammered over her feelings; this Tara stammered over sounds. But was this really true, or was even thinking about any of this just an excuse to watch Tara’s lips move, to watch the expressions come and pass over her face, and then wonder over her modest beauty, wonder when they’d next kiss? Willow took a bite of her cookie and re-focused.

Albert’s and Tara’s conversation soon drifted to other topics, nineteenth century fiction, which pulled Willow in for a while, and then a debate over histories of the nineteenth century occult, which left Willow out, soon turning to a minor wrangle over the better historian of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and the relative importance of Pamela Coleman Smith that somehow turned and twisted into a question for Willow. Taken by surprise, Willow could come up with no other response than,

“What?”

“Your great-grandmother on your father’s side, she was a Revane, correct?” Albert asked, looking at Willow over his tea cup.

“Her name was Irene Revane. Are you saying she knew this Pamela Coleman Smith person?”

“No, no. I was just thinking about women who’ve slipped from the histories. Pamela Coleman Smith illustrated the so called Rider tarot pack but only a very few remember her name. The Revane line was one of the first to establish itself in the Americas, but it more or less disappeared from notice when among other things Irene Revane did not produce a daughter.” Albert tilted his head to the side, his eyes appraising. “How very surprising. You didn’t know Irene was a witch, did you?”

Willow saw Albert’s lips continue to move, but she couldn’t hear what he was saying over the roaring in her head. A hand closed over hers, and she turned to look at Tara. Had Tara known this? It was impossible.

“You’re saying my father’s grandmother cast spells. She was like me,” Willow said to Albert.

“I think it would be more accurate to say you are like her,” Albert corrected.

It was impossible. Her great-grandmother a witch, it was simply impossible. Willow’s memories of her were few; she’d died when Willow was four. But Willow could picture her all the same, a frail old woman weeding her flower beds, hanging sheets out to dry, and pulling out pans of ginger cookies from the oven.

Willow looked down at the cookie she held in her hand and she heard her great-grandmother’s voice admiring her great-granddaughter’s hair, like fine silk spun from the sunset. Hair likes hers, the hair of a Revane.

“She met my great-grandfather in San Francisco. He was a grocer and she had a job at the bakery next door. His parents didn’t approve because she wasn’t Jewish, and she was sixteen, but Jacob married her anyway. They had a son, Otto, and then the earthquake wiped them out and they moved down to Los Angeles to live with Jacob’s brother. Jacob’s mother was already dead and his father died under some fallen bricks; everything they owned was lost in the fire and so there was nothing left to keep them,” Willow said, telling the family story for herself, needing to grab hold of what she knew to be true.

And then she saw Albert holding out a thin brown folder with gold leaf corners. Willow took it in her hand and opened it. The photograph was spotted. One corner was torn. Irene and Jacob, the great-grandfather she’d never met because he died years before she was born. Irene and Jacob. Irene sitting on a backless chair and wearing a hat decorated with flowers, Jacob standing with his left hand tucked into his vest pocket. He’d always hidden his left hand because he’d accidentally cut off the tips of his ring and little finger on a cutting board.

“I have a few others.”

“Why would you have pictures of my family?”

“The picture was taken before they married, before Irene left behind her craft and broke the line. She loved him, you see. Loved him so much she had no regrets. Jacob would never have been able to accept who she was, what she was below the skin. And so she let go her gift. He was her everything you see. It wasn’t until he’d long passed and she had the most adorable little great-granddaughter that she felt it once again, the quickening of her heart on nights the moon was full, on the sunsets of the solstices and the sunrises of the equinoxes. But time ran out . . .”

Albert stood up and took Willow’s teacup from her hand. “Come along you two. It’s time I took you into the annex, a back room so to speak.”

“Willow?” Tara said softly, grasping hold of Willow’s hand, pulling Willow back into some semblance of herself.

Hand in hand, they followed Albert through the store to a side door Willow hadn’t noticed before, entering into another room, another impossibility. Willow sniffed the air and scented the magicks, like cinnamon and cumin combined. Flavors that seemed to coat her tongue. A shiver passed along her skin. Her eyes opened wide.

This room was far bigger than the first, with bookshelf lining walls that easily reached three meters and a bank of library tables running parallel down the middle. On nearly every table books were scattered, some open, most closed. Above the tables hung reading lamps, which flickered with light cast by something other than electricity. Her hand still closed in Tara’s, Willow followed as Albert led them to a glass covered bookcase centered along the room’s furthest wall. Albert traced with a finger over the glass, before producing a key to open the case.

“She left this and the photographs with me for safe keeping, knowing someday you’d stop by for cookies and tea.” Albert took down a narrow volume and handed it to Willow.

The book’s cover was leather, well-oiled, and embossed with a pattern of Tudor roses. Willow held it to her nose and caught the long ago scent of white lilies, her great-grandmother’s perfume, and she knew. She knew this book had belonged to Irene. With trembling fingers she opened it towards the middle and saw a handwriting she’d have known anywhere. “This was hers. This belonged to my great-grandmother,” she said the words aloud because they were too wonderful to say silently in her thoughts.

Willow turned the pages to the front piece and saw: A book of shadows, 1902-. There was no end date, but written below in a hand still bold: This is for my great-grand-daughter, Willow Danielle Rosenberg.

Sound, taste, smell, sight full, her senses overloaded, Willow leaned back, into Tara, standing tall and strong behind her. Warm hands closed around her shoulders and she leaned back harder. Please don’t let me fall.

“How could she have known?” Willow asked.

“How could she not have known?” Tara said near Willow’s ear. “How could anyone not know you were special? I knew the moment I met you.”

“The book is yours, Willow. Held by me in trust until I could vouch its correct return.” Albert made a satisfied sigh. “An unexpected check mark for my list of things to do. So, are the two of you ready for a final round of tea. I believe in addition to the ginger cookies Mrs. Edwards left a slice of pumpkin spice cake tucked in my ice box.”

An hour later they walked out of the bookstore. Willow still had questions. Questions about how Albert came to hold her great-grandmother’s book of shadows, he’d been a tad dodgy on the subject; what was the nature of Uncle Albert’s “annex,” more than dodgy, entirely evasive; and dozens more, but those remained mostly half-formed tingles in the back of Willow’s thoughts. She handed Tara the car keys and got in on the passenger side, not noticing she’d left Tara to drive them home until they were half-way there.

“You’re driving,” Willow said, not loudly, but suddenly.

“And this would be because you h-handed me the car keys,” Tara said, making the right turn onto University parkway. “I thought you were too distracted to drive? If you want I can pull over.”

A Civic made a left turn from the right lane; Tara neatly avoided him with a mild tap on the brakes. Willow would have honked the horn.

“No, no. I’m good with the being a passenger. By the way, when it comes time, you can teach Dawn to drive.”

“Should we stop to pick up milk?”

“Nah, I can go later. I think I’m a little too . . .” Willow trailed off. She had no idea what she was a “little too.”

“Surprised?” Tara gave Willow a brief glance and turned her eyes back to the road.

“Did you know?”

“That Albert wanted to give you s-something? No. He just called and invited the two of us for tea.”

They reached their turn on Revello and moments later pulled into the driveway, Tara neatly parking Willow’s car to the left so that Buffy could pull into the garage later. Tara turned to Willow and reached to brush back a lock of hair.

“This is big, isn’t it. I m-mean it’s sort of what you didn’t want.”

“And sort of what I’ve always wanted,” Willow said slowly. “I don’t know exactly what to think. The whole magicks and me. We’ve had a pretty rocky relationship to put the smallest possible word on it.”

“I trust you,” Tara said.

“Why? I mean if anyone knows the wrongness of me and magicks it’s you. And if anyone knows how wrong magicks can get, it’s you. I mean no one knows the wrong better.”

“I trust you.”

They got out of the car, headed into the house, where they found a note from Dawn saying she was studying with Lisa and Kit and would be home later, and another from Buffy saying she’d be home for dinner and not to pick up milk.

“Why don’t I m-make dinner tonight?”

Willow looked at Tara gratefully. What she needed more than anything was a nap. “You don’t mind?”

“Maybe I can impress you. I’ve been wanting to have you try my vegetable soup, and I could m-make biscuits to go with?”

“Really you don’t mind me bailing for a little shut-eye?”

“Go upstairs. I’ll call you down w-when dinner’s ready.”

Willow brushed a kiss on Tara’s cheek, and noticed Tara smelled like autumn leaves. “If you can’t find something in the kitchen, holler, okay?”

Upstairs, Willow stripped out of her outer clothes and crawled under the bed covers. She’d put Irene’s book on the bed stand, and now she looked at it from her pillow. Her brain was too busy to process anything she was feeling. Part of her wanted to call Miss Hartness, another part of her wished Giles would come back soon from wherever he’d gone (Giles had left on a mysterious errand the day earlier), but the biggest part of her longed to talk to her Tara. And it was that biggest part of her that was also making her feel slightly icky. Tara was downstairs, she knew that, she accepted it. There was no “her” Tara anymore, except there was. Would there always be?

She flipped from her side onto her back trying to make sense of everything. Having Irene’s book of shadows meant the world to her, the world, the moon, the universe, everything. But it also triggered in her every fear she’d had since leaving Devon Coven. She was done with magicks, so why did magicks seem to keep coming for her. All of her biggest mistakes, all of her trespasses (now there was a nice theological quandary, was magick a trespass) had come from magicks. Or not. In her thoughts, Miss Hartness’ gentle voice chided her to remember most of her mistakes had their root in feeling inadequate to Buffy, to her parents’ ambitions for her, to Cordelia Chase’s fashion sense (go irony there), and, breath it so very softly, to Tara. She’d turned magicks into something they should never be, a salve for hurt feelings, a compensation for not being the “cool” girl, a method for “evening the playing field,” and thus she’d missed their wonder. She’d missed everything Tara had tried, tried so very, very hard, to teach her. Magicks were her Achilles’ heel. Except they weren’t. Miss Hartness whispered, and someone else, someone whose voice was like music, singing her to sleep.

Tara looked with surprise at the two pots, a cooking board, two knives, three wooden spoons, two mixing bowls, and sundry other items all of which were now in need of a good scrubbing. I cook like my grandmother she thought to herself, remembering her grandmother’s forever cluttered kitchen. Underneath the kitchen sink she found a dish pan and dish soap and set to work, one eye on the soup now simmering on the stove, the other eye on the biscuits baking in the oven, but her thoughts mostly focused on the very unexpected events of the day.

A tiny part of her, more than a smidge, less than snippet, was jealous. What wouldn’t she give to have her great-grandmother’s book of shadows, or the book of any in her line? What wouldn’t she give to have that, and not simply because the magicks of her line were needed to help her fight the apprentice, but because such a book was her legacy. Another part, a much larger part, was worried, because she knew Willow wanted more than anything to leave magicks behind her. And she understood that desire; magicks had nearly cost Willow the entirety of her spirit, they’d been a wedge deep within Willow’s soul, and they’d been the source of the greatest heart ache of Willow’s life. And that precisely was the problem. She understood what Willow wanted, so by what right should she be happy? By what right should she be happy Albert had returned Irene’s book. Except that it was magicks that linked them together; it was magicks that were their shared gift. And so she could not be anything but happy, plus a tiny bit jealous and a bigger bit worried.

The sound of Buffy coming through the front door pulled Tara out of the confusion of her thoughts. “In here,” she called out, stirring the soup pot, wondering if she should also make a green salad.

“Wow, whatever you’re making smells terrific,” Buffy said coming into the kitchen, a gallon of milk hanging from one hand. She stopped in the middle of the room. “Tara. That’s so funny, for a moment there, I was certain you were . . .”

My counterpart, Tara almost asked. “Willow’s upstairs taking a nap before dinner. How was practice?”

“Not so motivated with Giles away.” Buffy went to the refrigerator to put away the milk and take out an apple. “I managed to get through four repetitions of the new floor exercises, but the last set were pretty haphazard. So any word from the mysterious Englishman?”

“Willow found a message from Dawn, none from Giles. I made vegetable soup and biscuits for dinner,” Tara said, suddenly remembering it was time to take the biscuits out of the oven. “You don’t happen to have a w-warming basket, do you?”

Her blank expression firmly in place, Buffy shook her head.

“I’ll just put them in this, then, and cover them with a cloth,” Tara said, reaching for a large bowl and a clean dish towel. The soup’s ready. Do you w-want to set the table while I go up to w-wake Willow?”

“Did something happen? You look kind of, I don’t know, like big news girl.”

“No, not me. I’m not a big news girl.”

Buffy nodded, her expression far from certain. “I’ll set the table. I’m taking it Dawn’s ditching us for whatever junk food she can score at Kit’s?”

“Willow m-mentioned something about veggie burgers.”

“Better than Doublemeat.” Buffy said, but Tara was already through the door.

Not sure why she was feeling nervous talking to Buffy, Tara headed up the bedroom and found Willow fast asleep, lying on her side, bathed in the light from the Tinkerbell lamp kept on the dresser. She sat down on the edge of the bed and touched Willow’s cheek, touched skin soft and warm. Underneath closed lids, Willow’s eyes were darting back and forth in some fast moving pattern and Tara wondered what Willow was dreaming, and if the dream was happy. “I hope so,” she whispered. She said Willow’s name twice, the second time slightly louder and Willow began to stir, awareness slowly appearing on her face, and then a smile.

“I think I was dreaming of you.” Willow’s voice was thick with sleep. “I was following you along a trail in a dark woods.”

“A dark woods?”

“You were wearing the most adorable shorts, with pockets on the sides of the legs and snaps at the cuffs. And your hair was done up in all these little braids, each one tied off with a tiny shell.”

“Shorts, braids, and shells, huh? What w-were you wearing?”

“I’m not sure.” Willow opened her eyes. “What would you want me to be wearing?”

Tara didn’t have to think long. “Your red sweater with the v-neck and your long black skirt.”

“For a walk through the woods.” Willow deadpanned.

Undeterred, Tara responded, “You s-said there was a trail.”

Willow sat up and pressed a quick kiss on Tara’s cheek. “Someone is feeling a little saucy tonight.”

It was hard, but Tara held her ground, managing not to drop her eyes, if not entirely suppressing the pink rising in her cheeks. “Actually, I m-made soup and biscuits.” Was that what she was feeling, was this feeling “saucy”?

Willow offered a measuring stare in return, and then shook her head. “Thank you for letting me sleep and for making dinner. You’re kind of a life-saver you know. Fighting off vamps one minute, letting me spaz the next.”

“You’re feeling b-better?”

“A lot. I’m still not sure what I think about having Irene’s book, but I’m not so frantic, you know?”

Tara stood up from the bed and held out her hand; warm fingers curled around her own. “Come on. Let’s go downstairs. I’m still debating whether or not to make a salad.”

They found Buffy finished setting the table and bringing out the soup pot and ersatz bread basket. “I made a salad. And by made I mean I opened up the bag o’ lettuce, dumped it in a bowl, and stirred in some of that pear and gorgonzola dressing Will likes. I also opened a bottle of the Cab Franc we picked up last month,” Buffy said, nodding at the open bottle on the table. “Does anyone want water instead?”

“Tara does,” Willow said. She offered up a sly smile. “But pour her a glass of the red, too.”

Buffy started to do as Willow instructed, but stopped and said, “Wait a sec. Tara, you don’t drink, do you?”

“I’ve never . . .”

Willow put her fingers over Tara’s lips. “The Cab Franc we picked up is delicious, but if you don’t care for it, don’t worry.”

Made breathless by the gesture, Tara could only nod. Fortunately, before her legs gave out, everyone was soon sitting down at the table.

“What do you think?” Willow asked after Tara took a tentative sip of the wine.

Tara tried but couldn’t think of words to describe the flavor except velvety and that didn’t seem to make much sense. “It’s nice, sort of what I expected, but sort of not.”

“This one is a little lighter than most. Some day I’d like to take you wine tasting. Just north of here there are dozens of vineyards. Buffy and I have gone a few times. When I was a teenager, my parents liked to vacation around Cambria.”

“Willow’s our resident wine snob, while Xander usually steps in as the beer guy.”

“So Buffy, beer still bad?” Willow asked, sending Buffy inexplicably into peels of laughter.

Together they told the story to Tara, of Buffy and a trio of frat boys turned cave people by some very bad home brew, which lead to other stories of the more comical events on the hellmouth, Tara “remembering” small bits and pieces, this while they ate their dinner, Buffy and Tara going for seconds since there was a plan to patrol later. The stories so engrossing that when Buffy asked her question to Tara it seemed to come out of no where.

“Uncle Albert’s was interesting,” Willow said, after too long a hesitation.

“Interesting is such an interesting word. Interesting how?”

“Interesting because it was more than I expected. More than a bookstore I mean.”

Willow’s eyes flicked towards Tara’s, and Tara wondered if she should speak up, but then Willow began telling Buffy the events of their afternoon, meeting at the university, taking her car to Uncle Albert’s, sharing cookies and tea, and then the surprise.

“You found out your great-grandmother was a witch? How would Albert know that, exactly?” Buffy asked, leaning back in her chair.

“I’m not entirely sure. For one thing, he had Irene’s book of shadows.” Willow’s tone was tentative. “He gave it to me. It’s sitting up on the nightstand.”

“Are you going to read it, Will?” Buffy asked after several long moments.

“Right now I think I’m more comfortable with the less confusing letting it sit on the nightstand. I mean, it’s a family heirloom, right. But it’s not like I can give it to my father. Ira Rosenberg has never been all that keen on the idea of his daughter being a witch. I’m pretty sure he’d plotz to learn his grandmother was one, too.”

“Maybe. But Will, won’t having it . . .”

“Pull me back?” Willow shook her head. “I won’t go back. I made too many promises to you, to Dawn, to Xander and Giles, and to . . . I made too many promises, and I made promises to myself.”

And then, because the conversation had no where else to go, for now at least, they turned back to regular things, clearing the table, tidying the kitchen, Willow heading upstairs to work on an upcoming paper for the novels class and Tara and Buffy heading out on patrol.

Tara spun around mid-air to deliver another kick, this one hitting chest-level and sending the vampire stumbling back against the tombstone. Behind her, she could hear Buffy battling two of them at once and to her left she heard something running. Her arm swung wide, using momentum as much as anything, to plunge the stake into the vampire’s heart. A cloud of dust burst outward, and Tara pivoted left to meet the next attacker. He was dressed in a mismatched sports jersey and board shorts and he’d been her age when he died. Tara jumped backwards, briefly lighting atop a tombstone, before springing over his head to stake him from the side. More dust clouded the air.

“So, are these guys working tag-team tonight or what?” Buffy said.

Tara turned around. Buffy was standing with her hands on her hips, grinning from the fight. “M-maybe,” she said, her breath labored, feeling a twinge of envy that the Slayer was anything but out of breath.

“Do you think they’re part of any, what did you call them, advanced teams?”

Tara shook her head. The vampires they’d seen tonight had been far too disorganized. “I’m g-guessing they’re just regular ones. Or m-maybe they’re coming for the show.”

“Whenever a big evil is about to make way for the hellmouth the lookies usually start to gather.” Buffy nodded eastward. “We should check out the Mayor’s crypt. It’s kind of a sacred spot for the demon-y types.”

Tara fell into step with Buffy, and the two moved rapidly over through the cemetery, the third they’d swept. From the corner of her eye she could see Buffy was again grinding her jaw. It had been that way all night. Tara finally forced herself to ask the question on the tip of her tongue.

“You’re not happy about Willow f-finding her great-grandmother’s book?” The question was really a statement, and Buffy treated it for what it was.

“It’s just things were finally starting to get good. Will was finally free of all the witch-y stuff. She wasn’t even thinking about . . .”

“How do you know?” Tara asked softly. “How do you know what she was thinking about?”

Buffy came to a sharp stop. “I know she wasn’t feeling their pull anymore. She was starting to feel happy again. All that darkness, it was finally leaving her alone.”

“You make it sound like the darkness was alive or . . .”

“I mean like an addiction or something.”

Tara let out a long slow breath. “I know that’s how all of you think about it. Like magicks is some sort of drug or s-something.”

“And you know different?”

The challenge was in front of her. “I know magicks aren’t a drug. Look, I get it. I mean I get why they’d seem that way. But Willow wasn’t being pulled in by some sort of force.”

“Willow used magicks, Tara. She used them. You weren’t there. You didn’t see.”

Didn’t I? Tara almost said. “Willow didn’t need to learn how to stop using magicks. She needed to stop . . .”

“Stop what?”

Stop compensating. “Wanting to be someone she wasn’t,” Tara said softly. More loudly, she added, “I think that’s what she learned from Miss Hartness, but she can’t really learn who she is unless . . .”

“She starts using magicks again?”

“Not using. People use drugs. It’s not using. What W-Willow needs is to be Willow. She needs to be herself.”

They continued back and forth, arguing. Buffy becoming more and more upset. Tara finding it harder and harder simply to speak, her tongue becoming more and more a piece of lead in her mouth. And then from somewhere deep inside came this truth.

“Buffy, you think you know what’s to come, who she is. You really have no idea.”

They stopped. Above them the stars and the moon shown down, shown down on two small figures trying to make sense of the world they lived in, two figures struck still, struck silent.

After a while Buffy flashed a quick smile and cocked her head. They needed to move again. Especially if they wanted to be home by any semblance of a reasonable hour. Still, it was well past two before they returned to the house, an unexpected trio of grappler demons putting up a lengthy fight. Tired beyond the telling, Tara headed upstairs ahead of Buffy and crept into the bedroom.

Willow was asleep, tucked under the covers, holding a pillow to her chest. Tara changed quietly into her bed clothes and after a brief visit to the bathroom slipped into bed, moving close behind Willow, and then sighing softly as Willow shifted in her sleep, moving into Tara’s waiting arms. Tara tucked her head against Willow’s and breathed in the scents of clean hair and skin, wondering as always at Willow’s seeming fragility, and then she too fell into her dreams.

Last edited by Tecnopagan on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:23 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I finally had a chance to read this wonderful story from the beginning.
I really love your unique version on how things would go if Tara came back.
The reactions of Willow and the others to the situations they find themselves in is believable. They remain in character.
The latest development of Willow's discovery of her great-grandmother's gifts is quite interesting. I am looking forward to see what happens next.
Thanks
emsaunt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 pm 
3. Flaming O

Ouch, that gotta hurt Buffy. But, y'know, I think one thing that Buff will never understand is the magic itself. Even though McBuff practically is a magical being herself. So if Tara:

Quote:
“Buffy, you think you know what’s to come, who she is. You really have no idea.”

I won't be so surprised.

Hellmouth changed Willow's life, Magic changed Willow's life, but her insecurities will always be there, no matter what. So yeah, the first battle Willow have to win is the fight to herself.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:42 am 

Yay! :pinky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:31 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I am still digesting this update, so this feedback won't be very long.

I do love that you are turning away from the idea of magic as a physiological addiction, and toward the concept of the misuse being rooted in insecurity.Being married to a counselor who specializes in addictions, that whole story arc ws a source of lively discussion for us. And while many writers have dismissed the addiction line, not many have dealt with it in such a realistic fashion, as a problme based in real psychological issues.

Difficult for Buffy to accept, of course. It would be much easier for her to place it in a black-and-white setting than see her own role in Willow's feeling of inferiority.

I do love this Tara. More on that later, when i really ahve time to sit down and think through what I want to say.

Again, so glad to see this story being updated again. Looking ofrward eagerly to more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

Thanks to those who've been reading and a special thanks to those who've posted responses (you rock). I'm a little behind on my writing (I'm working on chapter 30). I'm now aiming to have DR complete by late February early March. Fortunately, my new puppy, Charlotte (okay, she's 3, but she's new to me) is demanding I stay home and work on my computer while she rests up between walks, so that should help keep me on task.

Emsaunt, I'm glad you are intrigued by Irene since her past presence will be felt more in the chapters ahead.

Perchiper, I agree ouchies for Buffy. This particular plot line for Willow is also difficult for Buffy, the best friend and the chosen one. However, I'm confident Buffy will rise to the challenge .

Thanks for hanging with me Still Waters after all these very long years! More chapters are on the way.

Morrigan, I'm very happy you are with me on turning from the addiction idea and towards the notion that Willow's mis-use of magic was lodged in her insecurities, insecurities which were established well and logically on the show. Willow's insecurities have always been a source for serious error, whether it was the "fluke" with Xander, the mistakes made in Something Blue, or even the W/T argument in Tough Love. Turning magic into a first metaphoric than actual addiction was for me one metaphor too many, since magic had already been used as a metaphor for Willow's sexuality. More personally, as a writer, I would much rather explore internal character than external compulsion. On the other hand, I think the idea of magic as addiction has served as a very useful crutch for the Willow of DR and now that crutch is being taken away. I look forward to hearing what you think of Tara.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Ahhh I just finished rereading this story thus far...wow. I'm so so glad that I took the time to do so, because the beauty of your writing goes way beyond the plotline (which I find engrossing) or any particular scenario. It's in the details. Your characters are so consistently clear and real throughout the story, and also amazingly true to cannon. Sam struck me the most, since she was a one episode character on the show. You scooped her up, put her in a whole new world with different characters to interact with. Instead of getting overshadowed by her surroundings or distilled into a cliche, she's expanded and changed without losing a thing.
And Tara, even in her...purgatory of sorts. Both Taras are distinct personalities and persons with undoubtable commonalities. The way they've clashed, collided, and coalesced is brilliantly written, even in its subtlety. You have a fan. I'll continue to look for more. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Hey there. Just wanted to say I am so glad I decided to check out this story. You totally have me won over. Of course, it's a popular idea to bring Tara back, and you have done it in one of the most interesting and believable ways I may have ever read. Too bad JW wasn't as creative.

Thanks so much for continuing. I'm so excited to see what's next.

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:59 pm 
3. Flaming O

Tujeky, thanks for sticking with me on DR. I appreciate so much your praise over the characterizations of Sam and the two Taras. Trying to keep the voices separate in my head and trying to extrapolate a Sam under such different circumstances has sometimes been frustrating but always rewarding in the end.

Wimpy, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying DR. I tend not to harsh JW very much, writing a TV show and writing a novel (over the span of eight years) don't really compare. Plus I have JW to thank for the characters and for my reason to write this opus. Or maybe I am just getting soft in my "old" age. I'm glad you are excited for what's coming next. Some of it will be very tough, some of it will be fun, and some of it will be pure romance.

Berma, I'm glad you're finding fun stuff at the KB. And since you asked for more, here is chapter 26.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Willow turned slowly away from the morning’s first light. Tara was spooned around her, sound asleep, her limbs shifting to accommodate Willow’s, moving so they could lie face to face. Willow’s eyes ran down the scar that cut along the side of Tara’s face and then along the smaller one that marked her forehead. She touched cupid’s bow lips slightly parted, noticing the softness, noticing the warmth of Tara’s breath. She examined eyelashes with tips seemingly dipped in gold and the few faint lines that creased when she smiled. She touched the bridge of Tara’s nose, and Tara made a soft sound of protest before moving closer and tucking her head under Willow’s chin.

“Definitely a snugglebug,” Willow whispered, her breath sifting through fine spun hair.

Another soft sound, not of protest, but of waking up, then a soft groan.

“Is it morning?” Tara asked, her voice sounding thick, as she brought an arm around Willow’s waist.

“It’s still early. I don’t have to get up yet.”

The arm closed tighter. “Good,” she said, her voice now sounding satisfied.

They shifted again, limbs brushing past limbs, Willow turning onto her back, Tara shifting to lie atop her. Willow woke up. Or rather her body woke, a familiar tingling sounding in several vicinities. Now would be a good time to panic, she thought. Or not, she reconsidered. Wasn’t self-control one of her higher goals?

“How was last night’s slayage?”

“Lots of vamps, plus a pack of grappler demons. More than usual, Buffy thought. One of the grappler’s kicked my behind.” Tara tucked her head under Willow’s chin. “Buffy took him out. And I’ll be fine once I stretch out.”

Willow heard something in Tara’s voice, a tiny strain, a tiny concern. “Did you two talk about what happened yesterday afternoon? About Albert giving me Irene’s book?” She knew they did, the question was just a pretext. She felt Tara wake up fully.

“We argued a l-little.”

“About me and magicks.” Willow felt Tara nod. “She’s worried. I’m worried, too.”

Tara sat up, crossing her legs in front of her, her left hip pressed to Willow’s right. She was wearing one of Willow’s old tee shirts, “Bunny’s dog walking service,” and a pair of boxer shorts. She was also wearing what Willow now thought of as her “concerned” expression.

“You know you can’t expect me to have a serious conversation if you’re going to be dressed all adorable like that.” And did I ever mention you have the exact opposite of a poker face. “Yes, I said adorable.” She decided she didn’t want to talk about magicks or books of shadows, not yet. On that she wanted to think a little longer on her own.

For a moment or two Tara looked utterly confused, and then she didn’t. “You want to talk about the kiss.”

Willow smiled, sat up, and leaned back against the headboard. “It’s about priorities.”

Tara nodded. She understood. “The kiss was nice.”

Nice, huh. “Nice is good, especially if it means we can do it again.”

“Kiss?”

Willow moved closer and she touched the side of Tara’s face, a fingertip running along the scar. “It’s all I’ve been thinking about.” An almost truth.

Tara’s eyes widened. Willow saw uncertainty, a tiny bit of trepidation. And then nothing because her eyes were closing and she was leaning forward.

She could tell Tara was afraid, but it was the fear of the new, not the old, of inexperience, of wanting something she thought she had no right. And so Willow had to tell her otherwise, to tell her not to be afraid, not to fear wanting.

Tara’s mouth was warm, inviting unaware. Willow traced soft cupid’s bow lips with the tip of her tongue. She slipped inside and tasted something new, something familiar, something she needed more than she could hope to tell. A hand moved onto her hip, warm, unquiet, uncertain fingers. Willow moved closer, erasing the distance between them. Tara was trembling and Willow took her into her arms, still holding her in the kiss.

Tara drew back, ending the kiss but not the embrace. Her forehead pressed against Willow’s. “I know all these things. I mean I h-have all these memories of you. But I’ve never.”

“I know.”

“You and Tara, both of you, you’d . . .”

“Kissed other people.” Willow supplied.

“And more.” Tara took a deep breath. “It’s not like I’m afraid of . . .” She broke off to take another breath. She wasn’t even sure how to explain what she felt, so she changed the subject. “Last night, I had my first glass of wine.”

“Did you like it?” Again Tara answered with only a nod. “Tara, are we on the same page? Because it feels like we are, to me at least.”

“I like it when you call me baby. Susan called Jackie baby, too. It was . . .”

“Nice?”

“Really nice.”

“Like kissing is nice?”

“And h-holding, too. Holding is so nice. Is it okay if I’m only ready for kisses and holding?”

“Come here,” Willow said, lying back on the bed, puling Tara to her.

They shifted about until Tara was lying with her head pillowed on Willow’s shoulder and their legs gently twined. Tara’s hand was on Willow’s stomach, a warm presence.

“This is nice,” Tara said, after several long moments. “It is, isn’t it, I mean.”

She was like a colt, Willow thought, or how she thought a colt would be, one moment calm, the next skittish. “Hey,” Willow said just to make a sound. She carried Tara’s hand to her lips and kissed the edge of her forefinger. “Easy.”

Tara closed her hand around Willow’s cheek and chin, her little finger stroking the soft skin underneath. Willow shifted and Tara’s hand fell lower to rest along the upper region of Willow’s chest.

“Is it okay if I feel your heartbeat,” Tara whispered. Willow said nothing, there was no need. Tara’s hand dropped lower, coming to rest between Willow’s breasts. “Yesterday, while I was waiting for you to finish with your class. I was s-sitting outside, and it was like I could feel this near me. Your heartbeat, your breathing. And then last night, when I came home and found you asleep. I crawled into bed next to you, and your heartbeat and your breathing it was . . .” She trailed off.

“I love you,” Willow said, and something inside her eased, some tension, some ache.

“Even though I’m not really . . .”

“I love you,” Willow said. “Knowing I love you is the first priority, okay?”

“Yes,” Tara whispered.

They settled again, Willow feeling like a weight was off her shoulders, off her tongue, Willow loving the nearness, the subtle press of Tara’s breathing against her. She said it again in her thoughts, I love you, and she realized she was happy. Tara was next to her, and she was happy.

The light in the window rose higher, and outside the house the birds were starting to wake. Tara raised her head and looked into Willow’s eyes. “My birthday is this Thursday and I was h-hoping you’d be my date.”

When was the last time Willow Rosenberg was asked out on a date? Willow had no idea. “Date, huh.”

“I overhead Xander talking with Buffy about it. They w-want for all of us to go to the Bronze. I’ve never been to a place like that and it would be nice if I could hold your hand.”

“Yes,” Willow said.

Tara dropped her head again, resting it on Willow’s upper chest. Together, they drifted back to sleep.

Willow came aware cuddled around the girl, her chin resting above the girl’s head, her arm stretched around the girl’s waist. Her eyes still closed, she listened to the crackle of the fire nearby and scented the smells of wood burning and the ocean salt. Beneath her, the ground was cold, hard, and uneven. She missed their comfortable bed. It was time, and so she lifted her head to kiss the girl’s cheek. Blue eyes opened, surprised.

“You,” The girl said.

“Always.”

Her elbow on the ground, Willow propped herself up so that she could look at the girl carefully. The girl was still too thin, this despite the extra food she’d been leaving for her, or maybe that was just a trick of her eyes, her wanting to see the girl as the Tara she’d been before.

“It’s your birthday this week. You’re turning twenty-three. Not as meaningful as twenty-one, but an event to celebrate.”

“I was living on my own when I turned twenty-one. I mean living alone.”

“I know. I should have been there for you.”

“You couldn’t help what happened; you didn’t ask . . .”

“To be made a vampire.” Willow was no longer sure. Maybe she had. If she had, she regretted it. “I’m sorry I was so harsh with you. You didn’t deserve it.”

A silence grew between them. Tara interrupted it.

“You’re wondering if that’s how it always is between us.”

“I was cruel to you both times.”

“I’ve only know you as you are now,” Tara said.

Willow looked up at the sky, in the east the sun was rising, a sliver of red below clouds dappled pink. Rosy fingered dawn, was that from the Iliad or the Odyssey. She was trying to remember which when suddenly she understood. It was obvious, really. But that didn’t mean that the realization didn’t hurt, didn’t feel like splinters of ice pushing thorough her heart.

“He’ll be coming soon. I have a plan. But . . .” Tara trailed off, her eyes were wet with tears.

“I know.” Willow suddenly realized she was crying, too. “Baby, it’s the only way. There isn’t another choice.”

“I’m so sorry that you’re going to be hurt.”

“Tara, I’m going to be okay. I promise.”

“I hate it. I hate what . . .” She couldn’t even say it aloud.

“Which is why it’s going to be hard for you. Really hard. But, baby, we’re running out of time, so no more wandering. You need to come back. You need to prepare, and so do I.”

“I’ve been so lost,” Tara said, sobbing, her body shaking.

“And I found you. I always find you,” Willow said, gathering her close, sheltering her and cherishing her and loving her with all that she was. “And I’ll never lose you again.”

The second time she woke, Tara had a headache and her nose felt stuffy, but somehow she felt better than before, even with the embarrassment of discovering she’d slipped her hand underneath Willow’s tee shirt. Tara moved her hand away slowly, regretfully, and rolled onto her back to glance at the clock. It was late, past seven.

“Willow?” Tara said, her voice thick. “I think you need to get up to get to school.”

Willow shot up, knocking away the covers, her eyes locking on the clock. “Frilly heck, I’m super late.”

From the bed, Tara watched, enjoying the efficiency of Willow determination. Sam would have loved it even more, the cadre never having been all that efficient moving out in the morning. Drawers were opened and closed. A closet was entered and existed. Her clothing selected, heading towards the bathroom, Willow made a request.

“On it,” Tara said to the whirlwind left behind.

Tara came off the bed more slowly, the left side of her back aching from the previous evening’s fighting. One of the grappler demons had knocked her into some fencing, and now she needed to stretch out the muscles and sore skin. She listened to the shower as she worked through a brief set of morning stretches, and then headed downstairs to find hot coffee left in the maker and a note from Buffy saying she and Dawn had left early for the high school Homecoming sign-up, whatever that was.

When Willow came downstairs a few minutes later, Tara had a bowl of cereal with fresh cut fruit and a cup of hot coffee waiting.

“Are you sure you don’t want to take the bus to the Magic Box?”

Looking over her coffee mug, Tara shook her head. “The bus isn’t as much fun as walking. I like to look at everyone’s gardens.”

Gardens weren’t the only enjoyable thing to look at in the morning. Willow’s shower damp hair was pulled back into a neat pony tail, revealing ears Tara could only think were adorable. As adorable as the toes which peaked out of her sandals and her cap sleeved burnt orange dress.

“Earth to Tara?”

Tara blinked. “What?”

“I asked if you wanted to meet me on campus later? We could have dinner together and if you wanted you could hang out in the library while I was in lab.”

Very much liking the idea of dinner, Tara said yes and also promised to ask Xander for a lift to campus. There was no time to linger over breakfast, unfortunately, and so not very much later Tara found herself alone in the house.

Lips pursed, Tara puzzled over how to count the orris root, by individual envelope or package. It didn’t seem possible to her anyone would purchase orris root by the envelope, but the number listed on the previous inventory seemed far too high for it to have been a simple package count.

It had been like that all day, having to ask for clarifications, first about the burdock than the camellia, next about the feverfew than the holly leaf. Counting the Romany wood bark talismans had been a snap by comparison. On the other hand, inventorying the herb case meant being on the main floor and able to eavesdrop on Anya’s interactions with her customers.

Despite her sometimes abrupt manner Anya was an excellent saleswoman, Tara believed. Most of the people who came through the door were either experienced practitioners or serious novices, which made Anya’s direct questions and suggestions appreciated. The few “tourists” who came through the door were more often than not scared away, but that was probably for the best. Entertainment and magicks were generally a bad mix.

Still uncertain about how Anya wanted her to count the orris root, Tara picked herself off the floor and headed towards the cash register, where Anya was delightedly counting the money.

“You’ve h-had a lot of customers today,” Tara said by way of a greeting.

“Wednesday are usually my third best day of the week, Fridays are my best, Mondays are usually the worst, but what with word out on the streets of a new evil in route, a lot of people are stocking up on all sorts of things and so my sales projections are in the dumper, which is a good thing when it means sales are up.” Anya put the money back into the drawer and locked it shut. “The same things happens along the Gulf coast where hurricanes often strike; last night, Xander and I watched a Weather Channel special about when weather strikes. It was interesting, although I suppose stocking up on water isn’t quite so specific as stocking up on horsetail. Did you have a question?”

Tara needed a moment to recollect her thoughts. “About the orris root . . .”

“Oh, forget about the orris root for now, we need to talk about tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Your birthday party. You did overhear us talking about it, correct. I was trying to ensure you could. I’ve found that birthday party’s are generally better if the birthday girl knows what to expect and if no one has accidentally wished for anything, lately.” Anya peered at Tara. “You haven’t have you, made any random wishes.”

Vaguely remembering why Anya would inquire, Tara shook her head to say no. This resulted in a wide smile of approval and another question. One Tara needed her to repeat.

“Dance. You’ve danced before, haven’t you? Other Tara danced, not terribly well but with great enthusiasm.”

Again Tara shook her head. This resulted in a considering look on Anya’s part and then a quick trip to and from the shop door.

“You’re closing up?”

“Only for the next hour. We’ve entered the post-lunch lull and so it’s unlikely anyone will stop by, and if someone should, he or she will likely only come again tomorrow, probably at an earlier hour. Good customer service is as much about the denial of desire as the facilitation. People feel a sense of accomplishment when things go their way after things haven’t. It’s irrational, but true. So, about dancing. I was speaking with Xander about it last night, and he seems confident there will be expectations for you to dance, and so I thought I might show you a few easy steps.”

Back at the counter, Anya pulled up a messy stack of CDs in plastic cases and began to sort through them. “I thought we could start with something easy before working our way up to Flock of Demons.”

A headache starting to come on, Tara questioned, “Flock of Demons?”

“They’re a hybrid bossa nova hip hop band. The lead singer’s reminds me a little of Devon, the lead singer for the Dingoes, but more retro, less grunge. I checked on the Bronze web site and saw they were playing tomorrow night. Don’t worry. We’ll start with something simpler and work our way up.” Anya slipped a CD into the player behind the counter and turned back to face Tara, who was now stopped in the middle of the storeroom floor, stiff-kneed and lock jawed, and nervously twisting a lock of hair between her fingers.

Anya resisted commenting on the girl’s apprehension and instead glued her widest smile on her face. Then teeth fully bared, she stalked across the floor ready to teach dance lesson number one: the slow dance.

“You know, personally I would have counted the orris root by package, but I get the envelope count. About half the people who buy it use it for fertility spells, while the other half use it in their footbath mixtures. Needless to say, one group tends to buy it by the package, the other by the envelope, so it’s hard to keep a consistent supply on hand.” Xander made the left turn onto University Boulevard. “By the way, I know way too much about orris root, don’t you think?”

Tara and Xander were in Xander’s truck driving towards U C Sunnydale. Not thinking she needed to answer Xander’s question, Tara offered up a smile and received one in return. Outside the sun was just beginning to set, and traffic was surprisingly heavy for a city street. Xander pulled around a driver attempting to parallel park a small sedan.

“Is s-something going on downtown?”

“There’s a protest march scheduled about a plan to tear down the old high school and put up a shopping center.”

“Someone wants to put up a s-shopping mall on the hellmouth?”

“And someone else wants to put up a retirement home,” Xander said with a thin grin. “Because in Sunnydale no one ever learns.”

Tara shook her head, but also remembered in her reality it had taken years of demon incursions before human life began to react accordingly. Her eyes drifted over the numbers of people walking along the sidewalk, couples holding hands, women and men pushing strollers, a pair of elderly men, one using a cane. None of them had any idea of what was coming. Her eyes continued sweeping the scene until she spotted a familiar pair in the distance. Today they were as before, dressed more or less identically, but instead of wearing sandals, both were wearing suede mid-calf boots with what appeared to be balls of fringe hanging from the backs. Closer by, Xander cleared his throat but said nothing. It seemed unlikely he was going to remark on Cheryl and Nicole. It seemed doubtful he even knew who they were.

Tired of waiting for the other metaphoric shoe to drop, Tara knocked it to the floor. “Do you w-want to ask me about the book of shadows Albert returned to Willow?” Tara asked.

Silence. They passed through two more intersections and Xander finally answered, “It’s not that I think Willow’s about to go all black eyes and vein-y face. I don’t. I just hate the idea of her getting dragged back into the stuff that overwhelmed her the first time around.” He shot Tara a quick glance. “That’s me. I think Buff’s less wigged about Grandma Irene’s book and more wigged about something you said, something about ‘you think you know.’ A while back Buff, Willow, Giles and I had these dreams—“

“Tara appeared in them. I remember.”

“Okay, a tiny wig on that, but moving on. So, was this Tara speaking again.”

They were coming up on the main campus gate and Xander turned the truck towards the east campus commons.

“You mean for me. Yes . . . no . . . I mean Tara’s always speaking, now.”

“You mean it’s the both of you,” Xander said, slowly.

“Yes, not as two, but not really as one, either.”

“Is it weird?”

No one else except Willow had asked her this question.

“Sometimes I get a little confused, for example if I think about my father. Tara’s father is still alive, mine died years ago. And some things I don’t remember. Acquaintances, for example. There were these two girls w-who kind of gave Tara a hard time. I met them again the other night, and I don’t remember them from before. But I remember this class Tara took on Greek History. And all the important stuff, the Willow stuff, the Scooby stuff. . . it’s there.”

“And that’s a good thing, right?”

Tara wasn’t really sure if it was good or not. It was what she wanted and that’s what she explained.

Xander swerved quickly to avoid a group of bicyclists riding down the wrong side of the road, causing Tara to have to grab for the arm wrest. “These kids, today,” Xander deadpanned. Tara smiled. They turned down another campus road, this one lined with magnolia trees.

“Tara, I know you’ve got a lot on your plate, and the last thing on earth you need is for me to start with the whine, but I’m worried about Willow. What happened was terrible.”

Even though she witnessed none of it, the simple idea of Willow turned dark was an ache inside of her. “I know Willow did t-terrible things . . .”

“No, I mean what happened to Willow was terrible. What happened to Tara . . . to you, what Warren did was also terrible. All of it, and I guess the word terrible can’t even really touch it. But it’s the only word that comes to mind. And Willow, she was . . . I don’t there are words to describe how hurt she was. Hurt by losing the person she loved more than anyone, but also hurt by magicks. Magicks sucked the life out of her. They left her empty. And I don’t think I could stand to see Willow hurt like that again.” Xander turned to look at Tara, tears were in his eyes. “She’s special, you know. She’s been my best friend my entire life. I can’t stand to see her all torn up again, and so I’ve got to ask you to keep her safe. I know you love her. I mean anyone can see it. But please, don’t let her get hurt again. So just tell me I can trust you, I sort of do already, but it would be great if I could hear you say it—“

“You can trust me. I’ll do everything I can to keep Willow safe. She’s precious, m-more precious than she knows.” She knew Xander didn’t entirely understand what she meant.

“To all of us, to Buffy and Dawn, to Giles, to you and me.” Xander laughed softly. “Even Anya, she’ll never admit it, but she couldn’t wait for Will to come back from England. He pulled into a parking space and shut off the truck. “Do you know how to find the Underground? It’s in the basement of—“

“Inverness Hall, I r-remember.”

Xander hesitated but then reached over to pull Tara into a hug and whispered, “I trust you.” And then she was out of the truck watching him pull out of the parking lot. It hadn’t been the conversation she expected, but it had been the conversation needed.

Tara turned around. Saying she knew how to find the Underground had been an exaggeration. She remembered it was in the basement of Inverness Hall; what she didn’t remember was how to find Inverness. Around her a few students were walking to classes, she guessed based on the books they were carrying. She flagged down a boy she thought looked benign, sandy hair, slender build, and who she quickly realized reminded her of Donny when he was a middle-schooler. Donny, at twelve, but she’d never seen Donny at twelve.

He didn’t entirely seem sure of his left versus right, but he was able to point her in what she thought was the right direction. A few minutes later she spotted the oddly familiar sign for Joshua Inverness Hall. Her feet seemed to know the way inside and so she let go to an odd kind of auto-pilot, moving through a corridor to a staircase, heading down to the first sub-basement, entering through a door marked “Tube,” and turning left.

Music blared at her as she stepped inside of a semi-dark room over stuffed with tables and chairs. Along the left side ran a counter, lined with high backed stools, and along the rear wall were booths. But for all the places to sit, there weren’t very many people. Maybe it was the night of the week, more likely it was the music. Tara walked in a ways and turned around, eyes scanning for a red head, surprised she couldn’t simply sense where Willow was sitting, and then a small tingling feeling along her spine as the door behind her swung open. Tara waited a few seconds for a warm hand to move onto her back. She turned around.

“I got here before you,” she said unnecessarily to Willow’s smiling face.

“Have you been waiting long, you haven’t right?”

“No, Xander dropped me off like a m-minute ago.”

Willow took hold of Tara’s hand and gave it a tug. “Let’s grab one of the booths where the music isn’t so loud.”

Tara followed as Willow led them to the booth further from the counter. The benches were padded and covered with blue or black vinyl or maybe a dark green. Tara moved into one of the far corners and smiled as Willow followed her onto the same bench so they could sit side by side.

“This place has table service, but it’s quicker if you go to the counter. They have sandwiches, pizza, the usual stuff.”

“I remember, sort of. Is there a barbecue tofu sandwich?”

“With lettuce and a pickle spear.”

“But it was something you liked, right?”

“Your favorite was the . . .” Willow stopped, her face reddening.

Tara brushed a soft kiss on Willow’s cheek. “Was the tomato hummus spice pita, you liked the barbecue tofu, but after Tara moved out, she started ordering your favorite. She needed reminders of you. Would you get me the half tofu sandwich and a cup of barley bean soup?” Tara kissed Willow’s cheek a second time.

“I’m going to need a lot of those.”

“Good, cause the kisses, I never r-run out.” It sounded cheesy even to her ears. But Willow smiled, and that’s all that mattered and so she kissed Willow again, this time close to the corner of her mouth. I don’t want to think about the apprentice, she thought to herself, I only want to think about your eyes.

“I should go order our dinner,” Willow said, not moving right away, and then darting from the booth to the counter.

Tara watched from the booth, not taking her eyes away, noticing the way Willow’s skirt swung around her legs at mid-calf and how her hands never seemed to hold still. Another student, Tara guessed art major based on his tattoos, went up to the counter and Willow greeted him with a smile; they talked a short while and then on the way back to the table Willow stopped to say hello to a group of students sitting at one of the tables. They looked like computer jocks to Tara, but she didn’t recognize them.

“Friends?” she asked, when Willow sat down again.

“From the computer lab. You never met any of them.”

“And the guy at the counter?”

“Jeff’s in my geology class.” Willow squinted at Tara. “What’s with the third degree? Are you feeling jealous?”

For the first time in her life Tara felt the pleasure of being teased. She didn’t answer Willow’s question and instead said, “We need to have a cover story. Have you thought of one?”

“Just the conked on the head, memory messed up one. Which is lame and kind of impossible except in badly written books, movies, and soap operas.”

“I think it would work,” Tara said, also thinking it would help explain her scars.

“In Sunnydale, lame explanations generally pass muster pretty easily.” Willow moved closer, leaning into Tara, and then pulling Tara’s arm over her shoulder. “Hey,” she said, and then she gently kissed Tara on the lips.

Tara felt the room begin to spin, gently, easily. Lips moved against hers, the softest brush and then the press of teeth on her bottom lip. Tara brought her arm lower, curling it around Willow’s waist, drawing her closer. The kiss ended and Tara breathed in Willow’s breath.

“You like?”

The kiss? Holding you? “We didn’t do enough of this,” Tara whispered. “Before I mean, usually you held Tara, but she loved this, I love this. The holding you, I mean.”

“The other’s nice, too. The me holding you . . . but right now. I kind of need this, because . . . “

Tara understood. “You’re scared.”

“Not of you, of magicks,” Willow said very quietly. She closed one of her hands around one of Tara’s. “Did you notice I took Irene’s book with me, today.” Tara made a yes type sound. “I read about half of it. A lot of what she wrote is journal-like, lots of descriptions of events, people, even dreams. Only some of it is witchy type stuff, how to light the oven without kindling, a few glamours, some protection spells. One of her best friends accidentally invited a vampire into their boarding house and Irene had to un-invite him. It’s weird to think my great-grandmother had to deal with vampires.”

Nothing was said for a minute or so. Tara pressed a kiss on Willow’s hair and breathed in the clean scent. She knew she shouldn’t prompt.

“Why aren’t you scared about me and the magicks. I mean if anyone . . .” She didn’t want to say what she meant, and so instead she brought Tara’s hand to her lips and kissed the fingers. “Last Friday, you said something to me. You didn’t really explain, but you said I was different and you mentioned about something happening while I was in England?”

“I didn’t understand that night. It was more something I could feel.”

“But you understand now.”

Tara hesitated. She’d figured it out the moment Albert put Irene’s book in Willow’s hands, but she wasn’t sure if it was hers to say. She wasn’t a wise one; she wasn’t like her mother or grandmother. Willow deserved better, but there didn’t seem to be another choice.

“When I was thirteen, it happened. I didn’t really understand. At first I just thought it was part of getting my first period.”

“What happened?”

“I started dreaming. Other things changed, too. Like the way I felt when the new moon came and when the stars were bright. Like the way I felt on the winter solstice and the spring equinox. So alive it kind of hurt.” Tara pushed back a memory of her childhood kitchen, of Sam drinking Jack Daniels and listening to her try to explain the impossible. “Your Tara understood it better because her mother was there to help her. Mine was already dead. She never told you about it?” A question asked even though she knew the answer.

“I’m not sure I understand. About what, baby.”

“In my family, we called it the quickening. When a girl comes into her talent.”

Tara watched Willow’s expression shift through several registers, all of them questioning. “We never talked about it. But I think I remember Tara using the word, but I can’t pin it down.” And then she and said a very quiet, “oh.”

“This afternoon I did a casting to try to see . . . It happened last summer, while you were in England. I also did some research to figure out why it was delayed.” Tara shifted uncomfortably. “This is kind of a strange question, but how old were you when you got your first period.”

“I was super late. Not until the summer after my junior year. My mom made me see her doctor, which let me tell you was at that moment the single most embarrassing thing that ever happened to me. Me sixteen on this narrow table and wearing a couple of pieces of paper and with my legs in these stirrup thingies. Pretty brutal. And as for the ‘proto’ breast exam, it was no wonder I made Oz wait months before I let him take my top off.” Willow stopped again. “You think I ‘quickened’ late because I was late on getting my period?”

Tara looked into Willow’s eyes. “Yes, but also I think it was because you started spell-casting kind of early. Xander told me about the c-curse you put on Angel.”

“I restored his soul.” Willow sounded defensive.

“I’m not explaining this right. I m-meant you used dark magicks, and I think doing that m-might have . . .”

Again Willow said a very soft, “oh.”

“It feels different now, doesn’t it? Sunlight, moonlight, the feel of the wind on your face. Like your—“

“Connected,” Willow said. She sat up, but continued to hold Tara’s hand.

Tara waited. Willow needed time to understand. But that was the problem, there wasn’t enough time. This wasn’t the way Willow should find out. It wasn’t right, or fair, or worthy.

“This is what you meant. This is how I’m different.”

She’d said something else, also. Willow’s fingers tightened.

“This is what you meant when you said I was finally yours.”

Tara suddenly noticed tears were running down her cheeks. “That night, what I said, it was more like . . . instinct. I didn’t really k-know what I know now.”

“Tara didn’t, did she? Know what you know. I mean she didn’t understand.”

“Not really. She knew about quickening, I mean her mother told her. But about you, she sort of assumed . . . When you met, at the Wicca group thing, you sort of glowed. You still do. But that was mostly because it was how she saw you. For her, seeing you. It was like she was floating. I was too s-scared to feel it when we met. Willow, it’s so nice to be able to feel what she felt.”

And she was talking about something else, something so magical, so delicate, so important, but Willow couldn’t hear it, not now, not yet.

“The dark magicks. They were always in the way.”

“Both of you were kind of flying blind. If Tara’s mother had still been alive, maybe . . . I sort of thought Miss Hartness . . .”

A server came to their table carrying their food. It smelled delicious and Tara suddenly realized she was ravenously hungry. They didn’t have much time to eat, Willow would need to leave for her lab soon, and so their conversation had to end or maybe Willow wanted it to end.

Left outside the library, Tara wandered back to the reading room she’d discovered her first day coming to this reality. There she recognized at least two of the students her first day in Sunnydale and wondered if they recognized her. Then she’d been dressed in old clothes and had a cut on her forehead and dirty hair, now she was in her blue pull-over, navy cargo pants, and boots, all new. She even had a student ID card with her name and picture on it, “manufactured” by Willow in one of the campus labs and she was carrying what Dawn told her was called a “messenger bag,” a requisite gear for the college student.

It was odd to think she could blend in among them, such a new and entirely unexpected experience. Even while she’d been running with Sam’s cadre she’d not entirely blended in. Yes she’d been accepted, but everyone had known she was different, known she was a witch.

Tara claimed one of the leather armchairs facing the windows looking out on the campus main mall, pulled her copy of Forrest of the Souls from her messenger bag and soon enough was lost in Pollack’s musings on the fool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:03 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
dibs!

Ooh, so good. This chapter gave a lot of developing - both for Willow and Tara's relationship and for the overall magick-y plot. Both were handled delicately and with great taste, nothing felt over/underdone.

I'm excited for the rest of their conversation, it'll be very important for the two of them. Thanks for another great chapter!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 pm 
3. Flaming O

LOL, ZB, I don't think anyone ever claimed dibs for DR. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next