The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Willow and Tara times Drabbletines (Eh, it will do)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:55 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 138
Rating - U or K (Suitable for all ages).
Prompt – Remember
Author's Note – I’m this close to putting the whole of AtS with seriesdoesntexist. Orpheus is not one for the KB, you can see exact parallels in Hannigan’s acting with scenes with Xander, Oz, Tara, gonna get told off again and now Fred. If The Justice for Tara Maclay series ever gets resurrected from the scrap bin I’m somehow going to have find a way to explain the callous magic usage, the full on flirting and joy of bringing Faith to Sunnydale?!? Where is the consistency! Where is the brilliance of character that the Buffyverse enraptured me with? It’s all gone. Grr Arrgggh.

Tara held up a towel as Willow turned off the shower. “Clean yet?”

Willow wrapped the towel around herself and took another from Tara to scrub herself. “So much magic.” Willow’s voice was as raw as her reddened skin. “Whatever that Beast boss was, I didn’t have a choice.”

“You always have a choice.” Tara took the second towel from Willow. “And when you feel you don’t, I’m here.”

“And now there’s Faith here. I gotta shower more.”

“No. We’re also low on towels.” Tara gave a half smile. “Did you talk with Fred?”

Willow stepped back into the shower.

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:57 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Serenade

“Door locked?”

“Uh huh,” Tara wriggled the handled to demonstrate. “Find anything?”

“Another email. Angel and Connor singing about some Jasmine. Lorne wanted to introduce me to her but the battery died.” Willow held up their depleted last electrical connection to outside Sunnydale. “Before that, no references on Demons, Demons & Demons. No archived texts. With the Council servers all kablewy, we’re on our own.”

“Why does Lorne still send you those videos?”

“For you, thinks with the aura thing you might be kindred spirits. Doesn’t help us here.”

“I don’t know, this slayer scythe might know a cutting tune.”

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:56 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Weeds - as in weeding out.

“Top man coming through.” Andrew bouldered down the stairs, knocking a book loaded Willow and Tara in his wake.

“Hey!”

“Sorry, It’s just Giles put me on assignment. Wesley called, there’s a new Vampyr slayer. Giles said he’ll send his top man. Me, top man.” His enthusiasm growing with each breath.

“Doesn’t Wesley work for that devil law firm now?” Asked Tara

“It’s okay there’s cover stories, Buffy’s in Rome, You’re both in Brazil. No one knows about Slayer HQ. Won’t find us.” Andrew squealed as he went on his way.

“Top man? He’s delusional,” scoffed Willow.

“Brazil sounds nice.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:55 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Remember and Forget.

“Won’t be long. Promise.”

Tara turned down her side of the covers and climbed in. “I’m not saying anything.”

“You don’t have to, you gave that look.” Willow clicked the laptops trackpad a few times. “Oh.”

“Oh?” Tara shuffled in closer to look at the screen. “Oh. I’m sorry Sweetie.”

Willow pulled away, removing herself from the bed. “I erm. I I should find Xander.”

“He’s on a training exercise tonight.” Tara kept calm. “Didn’t realise they still spoke. You know before the.”

“Not since graduation.”

“But you?”

“LA trip. Didn’t know that would be the last time. Poor Cordy.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:50 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Weeds

Thick vines writhed from the cracked stone of the outer castle walls. Weaving themselves into a portcullis over the window.

“There, just 257 more access points to do.” Willow took in her handicraft.

“You could cover this whole castle with one spell.” Tara moved to the next window. “It doesn’t bother you that they work for Wolfram & Hart, It does bother you that Fred hasn’t contacted you in a few weeks. But something you saw on that flight detail to England has shaken you.”

“I’m not shaken.”

Tara took the chisel from Willow’s quivering hand. “Honey.”

“Spike. He’s alive.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:43 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Five golden rings.
Author's Note - Thought of this one today. Might as well add a kid fic to my Fanfic CV.

Oohs ahhhed as the moon aligned with the sun.

“Thought you said you’d make an eclipse projector for this?”

“Kinda been busy,” Willow squeezed Tara’s hand, “building a life with you. Think you can forgive me for that?”

Tara offered a mocked sigh. “You’ll have to redeem yourself next time.”

Willow shook her head. “That’s a long way away Mrs.”

“I know.” Little arms hugged tighter around her leg as Tara kept in rhythm with Willow jointly rocking the pram in front. “Still think the sun’s trapped?”

Little arms squeezed Willow’s waist. “Nah, just natures cosmic hug between lifelong partners.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:23 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Five golden rings.
Author's Note - This one goes out to yesterday's conspiracy theorists. *Chest bump outwards point thing*

“IT’S GONE!”
In a matter of moments Mr Gerald H Fincher had gone from a well-mannered accounting assistant into the hysterical, red faced, nuisance loitering Willow and Tara’s path.
“THEY TOOK IT! THEY SAID THEY’D TAKE IT BUT I DIDN’T THINK THEY’D TAKE IT!”
Mr Fincher ravaged the plastic off his multipack of water and started to douse himself in the liquid. Ripping off his suit to lacquer his average physique housing deranged lunacy.

“Does he think they’ve taken the sun?” Asked Tara.

“Natural phenomena brings out all the crazies.” Commented Willow as she loaded up on weapons. “Apocalypses too.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:40 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Roses

Petals. Tara had been noticing them all day. One where her alarm sounded. Another in her washbag. When she opened Kalisisthese Theory of Astral Pioneering Across the Decatantial Straights, her page was bookmarked with a dozen petals.

She followed a thin trail of petals to her dorm room, the little oddities of the day turned to her little oddity. One she hoped was eager for a gracious thank you. If only the door would open.

“Who is it?”

“Erm, M-me.”

Willow unlocked the door. “You were not the only person to follow the petals. So embarrassing. Twice. I mean, surprise!”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
Dub, sometimes I haven't the faintest idea what some of these mean, but I find myself constantly enamored with your stamina and wit! Brava!

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:16 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Laragh wrote:
sometimes I haven't the faintest idea what some of these mean
Neither do I. I have a moment of understanding it at times. Other times i can think a while about a whole scenario but then end up writing the conversation that comes after.(the Bergin's vending machine one is a culprit of that). I have found that to be rather charming about a drabble though, they are moments, just moments, where we can look at them and go what the frilly heck was that?

Prompt - Four calling birds.

The phone rang to no human answer. The phone was starting to warm next to Tara’s ear as she flicked through the yellow pages.

“She’s engaged.”

Willow swung her legs while sitting on an unoccupied gurney. Her amusement for tonight long gone. Her idle taps on the axe head resting on her lap sounding a little procession to cover the dead quiet surrounds. She’d hold her breath but she didn’t want to get too attached to the present company.

“I’ve tried them all, the lines are in use.”

“All these engagements, it’s like four weddings and a funeral around here.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:37 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Eight Maids A-Milking.

Willow and Tara rushed past the mounds of buttered popcorn and gurgles of the soda fountains.

“Come on Will, Tara, witch it up.” Xander yelled up from behind the second row of seats. A cow stood in front of the screen, grazing on sticky carpet fluff.

Tara went for the obvious question first. “How did a cow get in here?”

“Bad people do bad things.”

Willow followed with the second, “Why do you need us?”

“They fed it mentos and soda. Dark forces, Will.”

The cow started to grumble, huffing out a pained moo.

“The movie review’s in,” Tara mused.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:53 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Remember

If stares could hear screaming while simultaneously screaming then that was what Tara was seeing Willow go through.

Average mid-September weather brought small breezes pushing back red hair revealing her face. A face Tara knew Willow was trying to keep composed while also trying to shield it from everything, even her. Willow’s eye line looked not at the town below, the grass at her feet or the panoramic scenic views Kingman’s Bluff had to offer. Instead it was vacantly directed at the sky line, under a tightly knit brow.

Tara slipped in beside Willow, taking hold of her scrunched hand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:21 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Silence
Author's Note - Cincinno Latin for lock. Aperta Latin for open. Both according to Google translate.

Willow slammed the freighter container shut, “cincinno.” The metal rattled as thuds from the other side hammered the door. “Oh right, Anya. Aperta.”

Anya slipped through slamming the door behind. “Rude.”

“Were you touched? Anyone touched?” Xander looked them all over and then himself.

“Four senses we were immune but the fifth caused exhume.” Willow recited their researched details. ”Think we’d know if we were touched.”

“I didn’t feel an aura.”

“Oh, I dunno, I certainly felt a door lock on me.”

“I opened it! Alive ain’t ya?”

“Guys.” Tara cut through the arguing. “Did anyone lock the other door?”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:23 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Remember
Author's Note - We can remember futures that never were. When you think about it and how much those thoughts weigh in our decision making and emotions, its a really weird concept but yet completely normal to how we behave.

“I just guess, I got used to not seeing a future. Or knowing what that future was.”

Tara didn’t have to say the cause, Buffy was all but aware of how life changes without a word.

“With her I can see one but it keeps on being taken away. Dad, Glory.”

“You.”

Tara agreed, each nod pulling tears down her face.

“You can’t blame yourself. I look back at Riley, Angel and right now even looking at Spike, and I know I could have done things differently but what I can’t do is change how I feel.”

“Don’t blame yourself.”

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:25 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Butterflies

Willow tightened Xander’s bowtie. The past few hours it had become customary. It wasn’t that it loosened or skewed but that every time she saw the young boy who wanted to play fire truck now as a striking groom on a true path to adulthood. Yet every time she hoisted up the bust of her dress she saw a young girl still lost and alone.

“Dunno ‘bout that.” Xander brushed his sleeves. “Tara flutters for you.”

“Flutters?”

“I’m a man on my wedding day. I know flutters.”

“In a nervy way right?”

“What else could it mean?”

“Ask the wife.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:19 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Silence and Forget.

Willow nuzzled away at the small creature she took from its store cage.

“So fuzzy wuzzy.”

Willow showed the little white fluffy ball to Tara

“I can’t do this to Amy because that will be weird, being a rat an all, but these cutie hamsters.” Willow lost herself to nimble nose nuzzles and the sneeze she blew all over the equally wide eyed and dazed snotty hamster.

“We could call him Tissue.”

Willow put the moistened hamster down “Or we could avoid staff eye contact, leave and pretend this never happened.”

Tara held back briefly. “Sorry Tissue, she gets excited.”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Rating - PG13 - Mentions of abuse.
Prompt - Remember

Willow snaked her arms around Tara, taking in her scent, leaving a trail of kisses in her wake. “Whatya doing?”

Tara covered the card she was writing in. “Nothing.”

“Don’t be shy, I could help then maybe we could– Oh.” Willow uncovered Tara’s attempt of hide and seek.

To Donny
Happy Birthday!
Love Tara

Willow took the card, untangling herself from Tara. “Why would you write this?”

“It’s. H-he’s. He.”

“He threatened to beat you down. You owe him nothing.” Willow couldn’t contain the swell of rage.

“It’s just a card.”

“It wasn’t always just a threat.”

“He’s my brother.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:43 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Bats

Tara snuck in close. “Another forbidden love?”

Willow lost her grip on the basement door, snatching it quickly returning it to a crack. “Don’t do that! Also ew no.”

“You’ve been staring a Spike for ten minutes? You could go in there. Talk to him.”

“I don’t want to talk to him. Look.”

Tara bunched in, peering through the crack. Spike had his feet lodged between the ceiling and pipes. His duster dangled down as his sleeping form hung.

“Don’t they all sleep like that?”

“Kinda been busy going AHH vampire! Instead of ahh vampire. All these years to know.”

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:50 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Ten lords a leaping.

Tara fumbled with the door to find Willow on the other side as far away from her as possible.

“It’s in the box.” Tara held up a shoebox with punctured air holes.

“And you erm like touched it? With your hands?” Willow lowered herself using the chair as a shield.

“Sweetie if you don’t want to do this.”

“No, no, we’re better together and ingredients can’t all be substituted. No matter how much we really want them to be” Willow eased out from behind the furniture. “What does the toad lick?”

“It’s not the toad licking.”

Horror struck Willow. “Nope.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:26 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Serenade

In the past four hours Tara had gone from sympathy to concern to please stay still and let me sleep.
“Honey, its 4am and I’ve got class at eight.”

Willow rolling pinned once more. ”I’m trying. Just you know the whole throat rip out thing. Dream me doesn’t want to get dreamy.”

“Let’s try that ‘get sleepy’ tape again.” Tara’s tired body shuffled from the bed to play the tape.

Mr Cheeseman bring me some cheese,
Bring me some Gouda, cheddar and brie.

“Cheese? Tara?”

Cheese slice hair topped a bespectacled man dressed in Tara’s pyjamas. “I’m stilton your mind.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:05 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Bats

“But hey, say what about fruit vampires?”

“Yeah, bitten by fruit bats. Wanting, fruit.”

“Hmmhmm Tara knows fruits, why don’t you list some fruits Tara.” Willow nudged Tara’s arm.

“Bats don’t make vampires, they’re demons” Angel shook his head. “I don’t have time for this. Just tell me where B-“

“Papaya!”

Willow nodded. “That’s a fruit.”

“Grapes.”

“Fruitpires like ‘em a bunch.”

“Blood orange.”

“The Martin Luther King of fruit, bringing together the vam and fruit of pireism.”

“Buffy asked you to distract me didn’t she?”

“Is it working?”

Angel gently pushed past them both.

“He seemed nice,” concluded Tara.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Bats

Wings flapped echoing around the cavern in reaction to Tara flicking on the zippo. Shadows warped in the cragged rock. Cobwebs covered in dust swathed the lower walls while the above was dabbled with glistening stalactites.

“Should we talk to Dawn about having a lighter?”

Willow raided through the only bag in their possession. “I feel at the moment we should be talking to her about no survival kit. We’ve got lip gloss and hair spray.”

“Pretty corpses.”

Willow was unamused. “Defeats the surviving point. She can’t even remember her bag.” Thick leather wings dragged behind them. “Pretty corpse time.”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:59 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Silence
Author's Note - The prompt was interpreted as 'hush' money but I didn't get to the bit where hush money was mentioned in words. So i guess the prompt could be taken as the silent practices involving money.

Anya pinged the cash register closed. “Thank you for your patronage.”

“No, no, Thank you.” The trenchcoated customer tipped their Fedora as they left.

“Anya, that was a lot of change handed over?” Tara softly questioned.

“He likes to give me the big new bills and I give him the crinkly old ones.” Anya patted the register, “see enough old crinkly men around here.”

Xander slinked from the table to counter. “Ahn you don’t think he’s maybe using you like for, I don’t know, crimes?”

“Yeah like money laundering.” Tara added.

Willow looked up confused. “Why would someone wash bills?”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Rating - PG13 - Pain and blood mentions.
Prompt - Remember

Willow hissed as she lowered her top. The pain was getting a little less sharp with each breath but the sporadic nosebleeds and skull cracking headache might be challenging what she previously thought painful. The price of taking on a god.

Leaning back on to the bed Willow was met with glossy blue eyes looking down on her. She knew that look of concern, often met with a ‘honey’ leading into a gentle scolding. Yet the twitching eyebrows betrayed what she once knew.

Willow outstretched her arm. Tara stared blankly at it, showing Willow there was a pain without distraction.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

With that drabble posted, today marks the 100th day of writing at least one drabble a day.

I want to share my thoughts on 100 days of this. I’ll place sections in spoiler tags so you can easily scroll on by. I have no intention of over taking the thread as my collection or whatever it’s called. It’s still for everyone.

Feelings towards drabbles and writing in general.
Spoiler:
I never set out to continue as I have. Personally on day 1 I had a tonne of negativity towards this thread.

It was set out as something to do in the foggy in-between of holidays to normality. A little something for people to focus on and get back into writing that they may have neglected in the hectic end of year. (No shade) by the time the thread was cleared I was done with it.

As a reader I found drabbles to be pointless and unfulfilling for what I read for.

The problem however is that I’m stubborn and I feel I add enough dead air here and didn’t want to truly add dead air as I won’t post anything I’m not willing to go give a go myself. So it started by me knocking out one for each prompt then I’ll call it done.

The last bit of what I’d call proper writing I did was “Do You Like Cats?” While I adore the fact I managed that story, I can only refer to it as my last hurrah. Everything onward just fell apart. I’d already picked myself up from a massive blow before writing that regarding fanfiction/fandom the whole etiquette. Immediately after I was in the swing of things regarding the holiday stuff I try to do for parts of the KB. Another blow happened after really trying and then it just felt like everything was blowing and I must be the big bad wolf.

This led me on a search to discover everything surrounding fanfiction/fandom etiquette. I will never not be terrified and completely saddened by what I found. The complete imbalance of reader and writer. The deep seething of creators of the works that inspired complete fandoms all because of money. The hypocrisy. The hate. The mob mentality in a, has to be approved, hive mind. The superiority complexes. If I believed anything of what I was told I truly am a monster for learning to interact with media as I have. To express no agreed/accepted emotion is mental instability. To have responsibility in topics it’s to be a puritan. An anti. Labels fly around at the flick of a wrist and you must be respectful of others, yet I don’t do labels but I’ve been given them. If you don’t fit the boxes you’re ostracised. For something wrapped in a façade of open arms, all-inclusive positive community driven fun, why does the loneliness speak the loudest?

I’m not social media savvy but what I found was that no one actually talks to each other. It’s a bunch of voices saying words and someone will reply with the same words but mean something completely opposite. Words have no definition, they have labels of what they mean and that can cast a wide bracket and depending on what the person reading the shout into the void determines what part of the bracket they want it to mean then that’s when all hell breaks loose. Inevitable social media posts about comments they don’t like. Hundreds of people dragging the commenter through the mud for no context and few words. This will never be said to the commenter though. Back talking, private communities just to hide face but is seen as being respectful. A differing opinion is deemed hate. Concrit is a term I despise now because it’s not even a word it’s a linchpin to launch truly disturbing behaviour instead of people sharing their experiences and thoughts. Yet even those need to be validated to have any merit or you’re deemed yet another uncomplimentary label. But hey, don’t like don’t read, it’s for fun. Even those are labels without definite definition. But you know if you’ve crossed someone’s definition of it. Heaven forbid if it’s not your default or you haven’t mind read it as everyone’s default even with nothing said.

I just want to talk about Tara. A proper deep, exploration of character the way I used to when I was learning. Mustn’t mention characterization though. Instead I now know I had something very special and didn’t appreciate it when it was there. That ended much the same. Non collaborative, deaf ears and just going with it because my fight wasn’t wanted. The same feelings are held now with Fanfiction/fandom. Why do I want to share with people who don’t accept differences that’s different to the differences they champion? Open minded only to the parameters of their own mind. Dare not to entertain any thoughts not agreed with or not said in the exact way that things have to be said. The hope of having that conversation is now gone.

I scrapped everything.

All this meant I wasn’t working on what brought me here. Justice for Tara Maclay. At this point id been on the same chapter for over a year but progress was being made in small bits. However by day 1 I don’t think I’d opened the document in over maybe 4 months. My focus was lost. It was no longer about Tara but about everything around any actual writing or a character who I find fascinating more than anything that’s come before.

At the start you may have caught on that I was trying different trope types of fanfiction stories. It wasn’t done with complimentary intent, it was done because those are the boxes that are allowed to be ticked. Trying to learn what it was about them that gain such attraction. Then I can say that I have written them when the opinion validation police assess my worthiness to comment. It’s fun to feel the need to prove yourself in a world that doesn’t see what I see and refuses to give a look through my lens but I must abide by theirs.

The bitterness hadn’t faded by the time I hit all twelve prompts and the challenge but neither had the ideas. That’s what drove me on. I hadn’t a use for these thoughts and jotting them down is a way to get rid. I haven’t saved any of these. They are posted here and that’s it, when they’re gone, they’re gone. And that started to appeal to me as well. The idea of not caring and tossing it away. So I pushed the rules of the KBs parameters, I don’t think they were picked up on and that appealed to me too. I didn’t have to write every explanation in a drabble, I could get away with things and this started to feel slightly rebellious. I couldn’t betray myself too much but I did in parts completely fudge characterisation just because it couldn’t be called out on. That would be rude and social media post worthy (never would by the way, I control what I do and that is horrendous behaviour I would never repeat just because it’s deemed okay). And when doing that it was a low, well it doesn’t matter day. If I didn’t like what I wrote, it didn’t matter, it’s not part of a wider story, it’s not going to effect a decision a character makes four chapters down the line. It’s just that moment. It’s only that moment when I type and it’s only that moment of that story.

Some days it was writing just to write, others I wanted to try something out. Then when watching Angel the series for the first time, it became a coping mechanism for holding on to the buffyverse I enjoyed. Throughout there are slices of scenes I thought about for the Justice for Tara Maclay series. And then there’s her, Mindless Tara. I don’t plan on writing anything with her in (I really should, I’m good at it and there’s so much meat there). Thanks to the valentines prompts, I could go to town with Mindless Tara however something I’ll go into when talking about the drabbles, it wasn’t Tara focused which surprised me.

I discovered that as a writer, drabbles are fantastic exercises.

Want to try an action scene, bam! Tara’s running. Want to look into some magic? Spells are being cast. Want to work on connections? Deep and meaningfuls delivered. Demon frolics? Make up a weird name or concept and write Tara and willow facing it. Gore? Oh there’s gore and an R rating. All without commitment. They are a snippet, a thought typed out and gone. I either liked it or didn’t but it doesn’t matter.

The consequence is I’ve started to write completely unrelated things in day to day that doesn’t relate to creative projects and it turns out to be exactly 100 words. To begin with I was cutting down a lot of words so I see this as an achievement of sorts that I can feel what 100 words is now. Some days it’s a mountain, others it’s nothing. I could be extending to fill that mark or I was cutting down, seeing what words I can get away with but still having the sentence make sense.

Now on Day 100 and I don’t know if I’ll continue as I have. I still haven’t touched my Justice For Tara Maclay document and I am certain my Tara conversation will not happen. I also know I cannot interact in the way I enjoy with works and as a result don’t read them as analysing stuff is half the fun for me. I would have liked if all those work went into Justice For Tara Maclay 10k words that could have finally got me past dead Things. Or even find something else I can enjoy but my mind is set on her. And I’m stubborn so I don’t think my need to tell that story will ever go away.

But here’s what I have done. I’ve managed to come up with a different idea every day. I have pushed myself in areas of writing I haven’t tried before. I have found that I enjoy writing series 4-6 Xander and really enjoy his relationship with Willow (Ignoring series 3/high school years crush stuff). I’ve worked with prompts again. I can say I’ve written a range of trope based fics. I have created Original characters who I’m rather fond of. I can claim to have written over 100 Tara and Willow stories. And you know what 10k words is 10k words more than I’ve written in a long time. So yeah I’ve written 10k words. If I completely ignore everything surrounding it and focus solely on just writing, I think I had fun doing it.

Commentary on selected drabbles -
Spoiler:
I thought I’d go through a few selected drabbles and talk about them. Reflect on them and give titbits of why they were written.

Starting with an early one - breast feeding.
I think It’s one of my favourites because it’s got the monster, it’s got the humour, it’s got characterisation of Tara being caring and willow being snippy but also has the social commentary on breast feeding. The joke being on Willow and Tara rather than the mums. It’s always how people react not the action. It looks like they’ve come in to the maternity ward to protest.

I’m pairing Dawn’s Diary with Phone sex.

I explain it in the author’s note but it really was an idea I had for a long time. I don’t think I’ve captured what I’m after yet but I do think it’s possible for a Willow and Tara story to be told without them as the character focus but very much the thematic focus.

I like to think I started strong then drifted because next I’m going for the chat fic.
I enjoy a typo and this is actually what I planned to explore with part of the Justice for Tara Maclay series. A long distance relationship while they’re both recovering independently because I feel the next stage in their relationship is growing individually but still seeing they can do it together without hurting each other. Its navigating how they can ask/give for support when each one needs it and communication is difficult in turbulent times for them both. What do they hide, what do they divulge. There’s so much of their relationship that doesn’t need words so when they only have words, how does that work?

Favourable features
Hate it. Absolutely cannot stand this one. I was having trouble with the prompt and thought heartbeat. Smut is a popular fic thing. I won’t write it for many reasons, I don’t like reading it for many reasons. I’m not digging at those who do. It’s not something I’m comfortable with so I don’t.
It was less than 50 words I think and I had to bulk it out but I don’t want to write that they kissed because that’s the act. I wanted the atmosphere before it, the build-up, and the hyper sensitivity. Losing yourself in that moment and just going for it. Not planned just what the motions led to. My skin was crawling writing it because while I don’t think I crossed my line, it was close to where I draw it.

I feel like duvetted is a word but it might be my first instance of making words up in drabbles. I didn’t want pillowed, that’s puffy. I wanted something soft but lazily sitting. It’s comforting and welcoming but not saying I’ve got conjunctivitis.

The term favourable features haunts me. Its poll worthy but so unsexy. Not one to judge on that but I mean if someone whispered in your ear, ‘I love your favourable features’ You’re going to laugh your arse off and then you might not have their favourable of features.

Imaginary frogs
The idea of Tara going back in time to help high school Willow stemmed from my first rewatch when I imagined it in every scene. Every time Willow was in danger I would tell her it’s okay Tara is coming. She’d be useless but I’d get to see Tara. The idea that Tara uses Willow’s own nonsense to help her both highlights their connection and shows their similarity. It’s a nice play off on how much Willow has effected Tara.

Frozen loo Roll
It was meant as a joke but in reality they really don’t show this side of romance. The undesirable small things that aren’t picture perfect. If it is its played as a significant moment whereas it’s the mundane every day. Washing grotty pants, dealing with nose offending smells. Waking to their hair in your mouth. Life doesn’t play out for a laugh, it just is and sometimes its really annoying and the funny, caring side isn’t seen in it.

It’s a Murder
Based on a true story, I just didn’t want to yell it out of my toilet window while I heard crows fight and my neighbours saying there’s a load of crows out front. I don’t regret not doing it because I don’t think they would have got the pun, or known who the weirdo yelling out the window while at work is.

Bagelcorn
Another one that I don’t like as it just doesn’t work. Again it’s something I want to work on for Justice for Tara Maclay, the idea of feeling disconnected due to guilt regarding grief. Tara didn’t know Buffy as long as Willow and Dawn and so there’s an obligation almost for her to be less effected as such and allow them to grieve (although we know Willow doesn’t). Through the memory of Buffy and stupidity they all find a connection in their loss. Grief can have happy moments too and I think that summer of series 5 into series 6 has a lot to unpack. It was too high a concept to house in 100 words. It’s a topic that needs depth.

Luxembourg magician
Love this guy. He’s absolutely off his rockers. My thought being how offended Willow would be if a kid party magician was against them. She gets annoyed at people stereotyping witches and this guy is the stereotype of how people see magic. All tricks and eccentric. His style is absolute nonsense while Willow goes with Logic. I like to think this guy is Willow’s nemesis

Mindless Tara – Boxes and Pick up.
Mindless Tara is best Tara but after “You’re My Always” I have found myself more drawn to Willows side of things. I really think they gloss over what she had to do even if only for a few days. How much she lost and while Willow is a bit much in Tough Love I feel her jab at Buffy whole heartedly saying wait until it happens to someone she cares about. Tara is collateral damage to Buffy but to Willow that’s a future gone. I get it, they’re not the main characters but they deserve more for what happened at the end of series 5 instead of focusing so much on did they spend all the money. So much unresolved for them but yet they’re all happy happy just to gut punch us repeatedly. They could have done that with continued threads from series 5 but no a coffee and Tara is back!

Scottish Surgeon
I wanted to write something grim and dark but mainly I wanted to write an accent. I have a whole back story for this guy and I really enjoy that while he’s a dangerous idiot he has no time for Willows supposedly bad ass line. Her being called a wee dafty just seems apt.

The thing
This is based on a true goings on. I was struggling for an idea that day and so I decided to be unhelpful. On a discord chat people were talking in their labels and no definition words and being all vague and I thought screw this. And started to describe feeling this thing but not saying what the thing was. The thing was not an object but and emotion or act and I would not allow the conversation to move forward. I would reply talking about that thing and how they couldn’t forget that thing because that thing knows that thing then you know that thing you know. And these places are hive minds which brought about the link. It’s how no one says anything but act like it’s something when it’s not. Its vapid meaninglessness weaponised.
I was getting people genuinely ask me if I was okay.

Zoo Zoom
Yeah another true story. Not the bat stuff but last time I was at a zoo I was also pushing a wheelchair for the first time. A child had to jump out of the way. And people are dicks to people with disabilities, You should see how some people push wheelchair users around a zoo.

Cloud Watching
Didn’t think there was a point in doing these drabbles any more. I like to write things with meaning, an expression, a reason for telling the story and drabbles weren’t being a vehicle for that. It was a little reminder that there’s a bigger picture to the minute reasons.

Cheerleader Dawnie
I like the film.
But I found myself with these drabbles being able to do touches of seriesdoesntexist like they were bite sized amounts I could stomach. As seriesdoesntexist would be part of justice for Tara Maclay but I just cant with seroesdoesntexist. I think it did give me some gumption to keep thinking how to adapt it to alive Tara though as I do like the plot just none of the characters.

Everyone’s a murderer
The morality of Buffy annoys me to no end. It’s very it’s my way or no way and she must see vampires as lesser as she doesn’t count it as murder but yet If she’s sleeping with them they’re all good.
I don't agree with Willow killing Warren but the way Buffy washed her hands of Tara's {redacted} and was just like, Willow's an addict let the police deal with the murderer I've neglected to sort out all series when I deemed them my problem but now they've actually done something, nah we got police for that. Where's the police with Katrina Buffy? oh right out the window as soon as you realised you didn't do it. Id get her point if it wasn't a whole series arc enemy.
Plus I liked the Willow defence line for Tara but had to cut out the ‘in’ for wordcount.

Must be bunnies
Confession time. I ask AI to tell me stories of Tara breaking up fights between Anya and different holiday mascots or people dressed in bunny suits in radom locations. I also got it to tell me of Anya teaching Tara to break dance then getting into street dance battles. There’s not enough gen Anya and Tara friend stories and AI is so bad creatively I can only see it as crack.
Willow can tend the rabbits.

Donny Birthday
I don’t get why it’s straight no contact and why it’s made out that they’re the worst family ever. Well I do but for me it makes no sense for Tara to not love her family. Abusive families aren’t all the same and they are still grieving (not an excuse, complex time, could increase attachment needs.). Yet I don’t get her mum being a saint in fanon either. The bar is not set that high to be liked over the members we saw.

It’s the 1990s, not hearing from your kid in months is a big deal. People made an effort to communicate back then. They did let Tara go to uni so they weren’t trapping her at home. Granted it comes off as a let off the leash thing but I think there’s so many more explorations to this but I unfortunately found that there’s a general feeling that going against fanon would cause backlash. But you know don't yuck peoples yums and write for yourself. hmmhmm*eyeroll*.

The memory thought came from the Orville episode, Twice in a lifetime. How one person has a whole life of memories while onlookers have that set bit of time and that can really alter how people view others. Such as Tara’s family we see that day, we don’t know all of Tara’s life.

I also think it might piss some people off, get a reaction.

My advice on writing drabbles
Spoiler:
Start with an idea. Keep it as a simple sentence. Don’t worry about the prompt (everything can be easily tweaked to match a vague word or bs your way around it), just have an idea.
Your idea could be a joke, action or interaction.
Write it.
Now decide of you want to write what makes that thing happen or what comes after that thing happening.

You’re first line should set the scene or tone. That could be a description of the scenery, writing an action or going straight into dialogue because while it’s short readers need an anchor.

Then have your idea.

Then play it out. Be it a twist making everything before a misdirection. Be it a cliff hanger or rounded resolution.

Your idea might work as your first line or as the last play out. In which case you have more words to expand forwards or backwards.

In my monotonous days I tended to find my structure was –

Something happens or is said.
Characters play with the words or run the reaction to the start too long.
Joke or heartfelt moment
Resolution/reflection or twist its meaning.

If you find you write over the word count write it anyway. Then highlight 100 words. Does it work in itself regardless of what you’re originally going for with it?

If yes, go for it.

If no, see what you can get away with. Does that character need to say that. Do people know that that character said that line anyway so the said part isn’t needed? Make up words. Specifically for Willow, if she babbles her words can run as one meaning a hyphen is your best friend for a long babble.

If you run too short, zhuzh it up. How does that character say it? Does their facial expression change with it? Does the scenery react with what’s said or done? Can you add in something at the end to spice it up or suggest moving the story forward?

For me I found a drabble was just a moment, not a full story in itself. It’s a teaser. The party food version of your favourite meal, a mini lasagne (Iceland’s were fucking grim and they fail to acknowledge lasagne isn’t finger food). So don’t worry if it feels cut short or not completely balanced. If one character comes off completely unhinged in a reasonable situation. Because it’s a moment and that doesn’t mean it’s everyone’s best one or most fulfilling one. It can be a bad photo but the reader still gets the gist of it even if they don’t get the explanation for it. That’s for their imagination. I think the more the reader thinks about it the more successful the drabble.

Obviously everyone has a different way of working. This could be wasted words on you and that’s cool. This is just the ways I’ve kind of discovered as I tried working through 100 days of writing drabbles. Have I mentioned that?

Thanks for reading the drabbles so far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:21 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Weeds

At first it was garbage smell from the sink. Then they started noticing the smell in the town, on campus and peoples grumbles. Another thing that stinks in Sunnydale.

The newspapers claimed it was due to sewer maintenance however Willow and Tara now doubted that it was council funded.

Elongated weedy limbs strutted out from a blobby body. Hands slayed on the ground and legs reached up to push a spherical mound of sewer waste through the tunnels.

Their voices a whisper as they trailed. “It’s heading up towards town.”

“With any luck to the mall perfume counter,” gagged Willow.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Rating - U or K(Suitable for all ages).
Prompt - Roses - I wrote for yesterday's poll that I want returned books on my grave instead of a rose and it's stuck with me.

“I’m going to kill him.” Willow paced the room, steps heavy.

“No you’re not.” Tara calmly watched on.

“Oh I am. He can’t do this to me. I gave explicit but kinda wordy instructions to him.”

“While he was walking away?”

“While we were walking away.”

“Same direction?”

“Different and I was rushing but still. A flower pressing would be an infuriating but a sweet thank you for lending them my baby. But an eyelash! Who leaves an eyelash in someone’s baby?”

Tara squinted at the description. “Your physics textbook is your baby?”

“I can have more than one baby.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:55 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Silence.

Waves rolled onto the pebble beach. The grey sky thick with clouds pelted down cold rain.

When Willow had set out this morning there had been warming sun as she cycled through green fields. Now she leaned in a bus stop. Perspex shattered, floor littered with cigarette ends and a glass in the corner she hoped was half filled with beer.

She blankly looked at a postcard she picked up from a stand outside a little shop.

Wishing you were here!

The sentiment a lie. Tara was better off there. But she’d send it anyway, it’s what Tara would want.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:37 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Rating - PG13 - Describes visible illness.
Prompt - Silence

Tara shuffled through the photographs she asked Dawn for. Local spots around town. The beach, to remind Willow of sunny ones. The campus where they met. The coffee shop near the Magic Box because a picture of ruins wasn’t home warming. A happy photo of them before . . . before this.

Then came the photo Dawn insisted on. Tara in her gown three sizes too big, magnifying her gaunt frame. Drip in arm, monitor besides her. Paleness competing with the light cream walls. Sunken eyes with exhausted gleam.

Tara swiftly discarded the photo, Willow didn’t need to see her like that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:44 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Prompt - Roses and Weeds - Flora.

“Is she stuck?”

Willow looked over her shoulder to Tara who was sat cross-legged beneath a Catalina Cherry tree. Both hands splayed against the trunk. Her face strained in concentration.

“It’s not a sappy tree,” Willow responded.

“No like, does she know what she’s doing?” Demi checked her nails as she slid her sunglasses down. “We can just like, get cherries from the store. Like, you know, in little pots.”

Willow held back. At this point she wouldn’t mind the latest creature feature taking Demi. “We talked about this, a lot.”

“Yeah but like, talking to plants, so new agey.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next