The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: With The Girl At The Rock Show [Updated 13/05/23]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:06 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 5
TITLE: With The Girl At The Rock Show

WRITER: GrimCityGirl

STORY RATING: NC-17 for eventual smut but also because of language.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own the characters, they all obviously belong to Joss and mutant enemy and yadayadayada

SUMMARY: A total AU romance fic - Tara’s a teacher, Willow is a punk drummer. Yes, you read that correctly. Love, loss and punk rock! Let’s go!

NOTE: Guys, Sparks is really hard to write and I am struggling to get my mojo going for it. I don’t want to force it and do it badly so instead I’m jumping on a different story idea I’ve had for a long while that I’ve adapted along the way. Most of it is already planned, probably will be ten chapters max. I just want to write something fun and sweet and more W/T focused. Hope that’s chill.

Chapter 1 Swiped Right

5 Years Ago

The crowd was almost as loud as the band on stage. Roughly 200 teenagers and early 20 somethings were crammed onto the dance floor headbanging, dancing, yelling in delight or singing along to the words flowing from the handsome frontman and guitarist, capturing the audience with his charm. The drummer beat furiously along while the goofy grinning bassist jumped in time.

Tara watched from the back of the crowd, smiling in pride up at her brother. She had never seen The Bronze so busy, and she couldn’t believe where her family had ended up - her, about to leave for college, and her brother, about to leave for a nationwide tour.

She was briefly distracted from watching Demon Magnet tearing up the stage by a flash of red hair in the audience.

A gorgeous young woman in heavily dark eye makeup was grinning while banging her head with her eyes closed, in time to the music. Tara watched her for a moment, finding the woman’s smiling sense of abandon oddly adorable.

Before she could pull her eyes away, the redhead’s eyes opened and looked directly at her, locked in an intense stare.

The redhead maintained eye contact and slowly made her way over to Tara, who kept the intense gaze but felt the blush climb up her skin at both being caught looking and by the arousal she felt as the woman prowled towards her.

“Do you want to dance?”
Tara nodded dumbly and let the redheaded beauty take her hand, pulling her further into the crowd and pressing her body towards her.

The next few songs felt like a blur to Tara as the woman danced with her, occasionally lightly grinding into her or throwing her arms around her neck. Tara’s entire concentration was used up on keeping her feet moving in rhythm while her eyes traced over the redhead.

Before the last song came to a close, the redhead leant forward and very lightly kissed her on the lips. As she pulled back, she smiled sweetly at Tara’s continued surprised look of the evening.

Suddenly the crowd erupted into applause as Demon Magnet bid their farewells, thanking the audience for kicking the tour off with a bang. As the crowd started to disperse, the women got separated in the shuffle and Tara’s arm started being pulled by the bassist’s girlfriend who muttered “Crap we need to get to the merch table! THERE’S A LINE, TARA!” and pulled her away before Tara could say anything to the redhead.

The woman was about to follow but a brunette came up behind her and steered her away.

—--------------------------

Present day

Tara picked up the folded clothing from her suitcase and laid it gently on the bed.

It was weird standing in her childhood bedroom as it had been redecorated at some point since she left. Her Winnie The Pooh sheets on her single bed had been replaced by boringly beige sheets on a newer double bed. The walls were sparse, no longer showing old band posters and childhood photographs - just more beige and the occasional photograph of a landscape from one of her parent’s holidays.

She had made a point of removing her personal items not long after she left but it still felt strange standing in this room, knowing what it once meant to her, but could never mean again.
On the bedside table sat a photograph, clearly placed by her mother at some point after she left, of her younger self, with her brother's left arm draped over her. Her brother was pulling a ridiculous face, his eyes wide and mouth grinning while his tongue stuck out. Tara’s face was frozen in mid laughter.

She held the happy memory and allowed a tear to roll down her cheek.

Her mother, Dorothy Maclay, appeared in the doorway just in time to see Tara brush the tear away and put the photo frame back on the bedside table.

“I brought you some fresh towels” her mother commented, smiling sadly at her.

“Thanks, Mom” Tara muttered, not meeting her eye.

“Your father and I are so happy you’ve come back, my love” Dorothy stated, needing Tara to know that they weren’t causing her pain intentionally.

“I know. I do want to be here, to be with you guys and to help Dad out. Is he still asleep?” She asked.

“Yes. The pills tend to make him extra drowsy, he’ll probably be out for the rest of the night, but he’ll be happy to see you in the morning” Dorothy responded, almost dispassionately.

Tara turned and looked at her mother then, recognising the strong front she was displaying.

Wordlessly, she stepped into her mothers arms and gave her a fierce hug.

“It’ll be okay - “ she pulled back slightly, still holding the top of her mother’s arms in her hands “He’s strong, almost as strong as you”.

“It’s just hard. I can’t lose him too” Dorothy replied, tears now developing in her eyes as well.

Dorothy sighed and then threw her hands up slightly “Okay, enough of this. Let’s get you unpacked, and we can catch up”. She immediately started taking the clothes from the bed and putting them in the chest of drawers across the room.

“Okay, Mom” Tara nodded, turning her attention to one of her boxes and starting to open its flaps, taking out its contents.

“So… how’s your love life?” her mother asked, turning towards her daughter and cocking her eyebrow.

Tara heaved a heavy sigh.

—----------------------------------------------

Willow kept the simple beat with her foot on the bass drum and her sticks thundering down on the toms, she always loved this part of the song where Spike would ramp up the crowd to a clapping frenzy and Faith would belt the whoas in the chorus, encouraging the audience to sing along. The surge from the simple beat into the rising crescendo of the last chorus was a rush she could never even begin to describe.

She worked her way around the kit, drilling out fills with power and precision, letting her body do the maths for her as she kept the band tight for the rest of their performance.

With the last song complete, the audience went wild and Faith signed the band off.

“Thank you so much Sunnydale! We have been “Five By Five” ! You’ve been a great audience, catch us on our socials, buy our shit, buy us a drink, give us a hug, whatever - THANK YOU SO MUCH, GOODNIGHT!”

The crowd cheered one last time and Willow downed the nearest bottle of water, cooling herself down from yet another performance of her lifetime.

Spike turned around and threw a small towel at Willow’s face, she laughed and started mopping the sweat off her brow.

“You’re fucking drenched, love” he laughed, putting his bass back in it’s case.

“Aren’t I fucking always.” she laughed back, dropping the towel so she could immediately start tearing down her cymbals and other equipment.

Faith had started packing her guitar and turned to the others.

“Wow guys, we may actually sell enough merch to cover the cost of gas tonight” Faith muttered with a cheeky grin, gesturing to the 3 people standing at their merch table.

The lack of payment and dwindling audience numbers had become an inside joke for the band, knowing how badly the industry was doing.

Scooby had already packed his guitar, pedals and amps on the side of the stage and was helping Willow pack up her stands.

“Van is out back, I’ll start packing” He muttered after folding away the last stand and grabbing equipment on his way out the back door.

“No worries, ladies, let us lads do all the hard work as usual” Spike joked, picking up some stands on the way out.

“Gladly!” Faith tipped her beer in his direction and winked. He rolled his eyes at her.

After finishing tearing down for the night, and the van fully packed, the band milled around talking to the members from other bands and the audience sticking around for drinks and the sound system.

An hour after they finished, Scooby, the only one trusted with money or math, was checking their merch stock and tallying up earnings from the night with Spike next to him, his face in his phone updating the bands social media accounts.

Faith and Willow were winding down by drinking at the bar. Some of the few in the audience had been feeling generous that evening as the ladies found themselves being bought drinks for by a few hopeful but completely unlucky gentlemen. They accepted the drinks but declined the thinly veiled extras they were offered with.

As a result, they were both on the verge of being too drunk and talking about one of Faith’s favourite subjects. Sex.

“Willow! You’re fuckin’ 23 years old, and you still haven’t gone to pound town - we gotta fix that, we’ll be on tour soon! There is pussy up and down the west coast that you could smash if you’d get over yourself!” Faith waved her hands dismissively.

“I am not uptight or whatever I just… I want someone special, that’s all. I don’t mind waitin’” Willow slurred slightly in response, finishing her beer.

“Please, you’re a coward” Faith snorted, taking a swig.

Willow looked at her in annoyance. “Am not” she muttered defiantly.

“Oh really? Remember that girl from a few weeks back? Kendra was it? She was all over you and you looked like a deer caught in fuckin’ flash lights” Faith pointed a finger at Willow while sloshing her beer from side to side.

“That’s not the phrase” Willow responded in amusement.

“And that’s not the point. Man, when we were younger you were so daring and goin’ for the girl and now you’re just shy. Have you seen how some of these girls look at you at shows? Hot drummer chicks are in right now, it’s all over the ticky tock dude, just go for it”

“How many times do I have to tell you, Faith? I don’t want one night stands. I want something real.” Willow indicated to the barman to bring them two more as she furthered her resolve with Faith.

“Okay, fine - somethin’ real. So why aren’t you looking?” Faith accused.

“What do you mean?” Willow asked, feigning innocence.

“That app I told you about, I made you install it and let me guess - you’ve never checked it once, right?” She gave the redhead a pointed look.

“I… haven’t found the time?” the end of her sentence raised in pitch as she lied pathetically.

“Bull. Give me your phone!” Faith demanded. Willow knew in Faith’s current state it would be pointless to argue, and while she disliked her friend's assertive nature at times, it did usually have positive results. This band wouldn’t exist without Faith’s bull-in-a-china-shop approach to life, and she was always grateful to her for that.

“Fine” she handed her phone over, and Faith immediately opened the app and started scrolling.

“No, No, yikes is that a bowl cut?! Jesus, no, ah ha! You like blondes right?” Faith asked while pointing the screen at her friend.

The picture showed a gorgeous and almost familiar face that Willow stared at for a long second.

“Wow… she’s really pretty” Willow's face blossomed into a little smile while she kept staring at the picture.

“Alright, alright, target acquired” Faith nodded smugly.

“I gotta go to the bathroom, don’t do anything dumb!” Willow warned with her finger, indicating at the phone.

“I won’t!” Faith called behind her, waiting for Willow to stumble away before hitting the message button.

—----------------------------

“Mom, I was just focusing on my degree, you know that” Tara sighed for what seemed like the tenth time during their conversation.

“But you’ve graduated, you’re back home, you’re starting a new job - you’re in a position to slow down, and start enjoying your life and that could include a special lady?” Dorothy sweetly encouraged her.

Before Tara could sigh for the 11th time, her phone beeped.

She picked up her phone and saw the foreign notification from an app she’ds barely used.

“Huh” she muttered out loud, her brow furrowing as she read the message.

“Hey there!

Haven’t seen your profile here before, are you new to Sunnydale?”

Tara was about to ignore it, when she saw the user's image showing familiar gorgeous red hair.

She clicked on the icon to check her profile and saw the beautiful woman.

She felt foolish but decided to let her mothers words sink in.

She started to type back.

—--------------------------------

The alarm blared at 8am, its sinister ringing resounding inside Willow’s skull. She grumbled and swore as she slapped her arm over the top of the offending box.

She lay down briefly, trying not to be sick and struggling to piece together the memories of the end of her night, when she heard a notification on her phone.

She reached over and saw a message that read “Yes, I would like to see you tonight”.

Her eyebrows rose in horror and confusion as she immediately sat up, scrolling through the messages from her that she never sent, on the app she’d never used.

“FAITH! WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO?!”

End of chapter 1

Last edited by GrimCityGirl on Sat May 13, 2023 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: With The Girl At The Rock Show
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:33 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Dibs! :whip
Yay for the new story!

Quote:
Roughly 200 teenagers and early 20 somethings were crammed onto the dance floor headbanging, dancing, yelling in delight or singing along to the words flowing from the handsome frontman and guitarist, capturing the audience with his charm. The drummer beat furiously along while the goofy grinning bassist jumped in time.

Quote:
She was briefly distracted from watching Demon Magnet tearing up the stage by a flash of red hair in the audience.

I'm wondering if Tara's brother Donny is the "goofy grinning bassist" or if that is Xander (the band name is a hint for me that Xander is one of the members).

Quote:
A gorgeous young woman in heavily dark eye makeup was grinning while banging her head with her eyes closed, in time to the music. Tara watched her for a moment, finding the woman’s smiling sense of abandon oddly adorable.

Before she could pull her eyes away, the redhead’s eyes opened and looked directly at her, locked in an intense stare.

The redhead maintained eye contact and slowly made her way over to Tara, who kept the intense gaze but felt the blush climb up her skin at both being caught looking and by the arousal she felt as the woman prowled towards her.

“Do you want to dance?”
Tara nodded dumbly and let the redheaded beauty take her hand, pulling her further into the crowd and pressing her body towards her.

The next few songs felt like a blur to Tara as the woman danced with her, occasionally lightly grinding into her or throwing her arms around her neck. Tara’s entire concentration was used up on keeping her feet moving in rhythm while her eyes traced over the redhead.

Before the last song came to a close, the redhead leant forward and very lightly kissed her on the lips. As she pulled back, she smiled sweetly at Tara’s continued surprised look of the evening.

Awww! :flower Willow is pretty forward with her kiss. Bummer that this cute meeting wasn't the start to more - but thanks to Faith this is about to change in the present.

Quote:
On the bedside table sat a photograph, clearly placed by her mother at some point after she left, of her younger self, with her brother's left arm draped over her. Her brother was pulling a ridiculous face, his eyes wide and mouth grinning while his tongue stuck out. Tara’s face was frozen in mid laughter.

She held the happy memory and allowed a tear to roll down her cheek.

Quote:
“It’ll be okay - “ she pulled back slightly, still holding the top of her mother’s arms in her hands “He’s strong, almost as strong as you”.

“It’s just hard. I can’t lose him too” Dorothy replied, tears now developing in her eyes as well.

So do I assume correctly that Donny died - probably in some accident - and that Tara's dad is very sick or got gravely injured? I'm very sorry for their loss but also happy that your Tara grew up in a loving family.

Willow in a band with Spike and Faith, I didn't see that coming. I guess that the fourth band member, Scooby, is an original character?

Quote:
The picture showed a gorgeous and almost familiar face that Willow stared at for a long second.

“Wow… she’s really pretty” Willow's face blossomed into a little smile while she kept staring at the picture.

Quote:
Tara was about to ignore it, when she saw the user's image showing familiar gorgeous red hair.

She clicked on the icon to check her profile and saw the beautiful woman.

So apparantly Willow hasn't recognized Tara as the girl she danced with and kissed 5 years ago - yet, but Tara identified Willow's picture?

Quote:
“Alright, alright, target acquired” Faith nodded smugly.

“I gotta go to the bathroom, don’t do anything dumb!” Willow warned with her finger, indicating at the phone.

“I won’t!” Faith called behind her, waiting for Willow to stumble away before hitting the message button.

:laugh Go Faith! Helping Willow find her soulmate isn't dumb at all.

Quote:
“Mom, I was just focusing on my degree, you know that” Tara sighed for what seemed like the tenth time during their conversation.

“But you’ve graduated, you’re back home, you’re starting a new job - you’re in a position to slow down, and start enjoying your life and that could include a special lady?” Dorothy sweetly encouraged her.

So no drama to expect from the parents, at least on Tara's side. I'm sure Dorothy will love Willow.

Quote:
She reached over and saw a message that read “Yes, I would like to see you tonight”.

Her eyebrows rose in horror and confusion as she immediately sat up, scrolling through the messages from her that she never sent, on the app she’d never used.

:lol You will surely feel the need to profusely thank her soon! I can't wait for their first date, hopefully Willow will remember Tara then.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:26 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 9
Yay! It's posted!

I've told you most of this already but... you are so good at world building- it's quick but has everything we need and establishes things well- and you always bring the gang along!

I too thought of Xander with the Demon Magnet band name lol

I very much like that you are hinting at something having gone wrong (and that it has to do with Donnie) but leaving that to fill in later- it's just enough to draw us in and keep us interested

It's still weird to read about Tara having two parents who seem like decent people (so far)

My favorite part was Willow and the music- you can feel the effect it has on her and I am a sucker for artists geeking out on their art

I'm interested as to what happened to cool Willow's ladykiller jets (although I have an inkling)

Woot for Faith being rad and funny (although a bit step over the line-y) and Tara agreeing to the date !!

Can't wait for more!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:32 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 3
Yay! A new fic to look forward to! You certainly have a way of hooking your readers in almost immediately. I too am curious about who the 4 member of the band with Willow, Faith, and Spike is. I also love that you made Willow a drummer. It is the most physically intensive role in a band, which is not something a lot of people would associate with Willow, but I am looking forward to seeing how that role manifests itself in her personality.

I love your characterization of Faith. Still bad ass, but with good intentions. It also figures that it would be Faith that would get the ball rolling for Willow :devil

I am also curious about what happened both with Donnie as well as Tara's dad. I like that Tara has what looks to be a solid and happy family life. I also am a big sucker for fics where Tara's mom is alive.

Hopefully next chapter brings a date? Either way, I am looking forward to it. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:17 pm 
5. Willowhand

Will's redemption wrote:
Dibs! :whip
Yay for the new story!

I'm wondering if Tara's brother Donny is the "goofy grinning bassist" or if that is Xander (the band name is a hint for me that Xander is one of the members).

Tara's brother is the front man and the others shall be revealed in good time.

Quote:
So do I assume correctly that Donny died - probably in some accident - and that Tara's dad is very sick or got gravely injured? I'm very sorry for their loss but also happy that your Tara grew up in a loving family.

You are bang on. I liked the idea of her parents being alive, even if her Dad is sick haha, seems like a novelty in fiction land - happily married alive parents. such a fun idea!

Quote:
Willow in a band with Spike and Faith, I didn't see that coming. I guess that the fourth band member, Scooby, is an original character?

Scooby is an original character, yeah. I had a specific type of person in mind and he did not suit any of the buffy verse characters well enough for my liking.

Quote:
So apparantly Willow hasn't recognized Tara as the girl she danced with and kissed 5 years ago - yet, but Tara identified Willow's picture?

Willow doesn't recognise her, Tara has a brief inkling but doesn't actually remember her face apart from being a redhead. Seeing someone once, briefly, in a dark bar, five years ago? You'd be hard pressed to remember their features.

Quote:
:laugh Go Faith! Helping Willow find her soulmate isn't dumb at all.

Faith in this story to me seems like that friend who totally gets you into trouble but brings excitement and joy into your life so you put up with their occasional poor decision making.

Quote:
:lol You will surely feel the need to profusely thank her soon! I can't wait for their first date, hopefully Willow will remember Tara then.

Their first date is in the upcoming chapter, glad you're enjoying - thanks for commenting :)

shirrey wrote:
Yay! It's posted!

I've told you most of this already but... you are so good at world building- it's quick but has everything we need and establishes things well- and you always bring the gang along!

I too thought of Xander with the Demon Magnet band name lol

I very much like that you are hinting at something having gone wrong (and that it has to do with Donnie) but leaving that to fill in later- it's just enough to draw us in and keep us interested

It's still weird to read about Tara having two parents who seem like decent people (so far)

My favorite part was Willow and the music- you can feel the effect it has on her and I am a sucker for artists geeking out on their art

I'm interested as to what happened to cool Willow's ladykiller jets (although I have an inkling)

Woot for Faith being rad and funny (although a bit step over the line-y) and Tara agreeing to the date !!

Can't wait for more!

I am in a punk band (not a drummer) so this is much more in my comfort zone than turn of the century wild west America haha, I imagine the music aspect is what I'll get the most "right" as it's much more my personal experience. The same goes for Tara's father (as we've discussed privately) so this is a much more personal story for me, hopefully that means I write it well.

I am so happy to have Faith in a story where she's not a horse, not gonna lie.

Thanks for your continued support love, your betaing makes these stories far more legible than they start.

Bellalocke wrote:
Yay! A new fic to look forward to! You certainly have a way of hooking your readers in almost immediately. I too am curious about who the 4 member of the band with Willow, Faith, and Spike is. I also love that you made Willow a drummer. It is the most physically intensive role in a band, which is not something a lot of people would associate with Willow, but I am looking forward to seeing how that role manifests itself in her personality.

I love your characterization of Faith. Still bad ass, but with good intentions. It also figures that it would be Faith that would get the ball rolling for Willow :devil

I am also curious about what happened both with Donnie as well as Tara's dad. I like that Tara has what looks to be a solid and happy family life. I also am a big sucker for fics where Tara's mom is alive.

Hopefully next chapter brings a date? Either way, I am looking forward to it. Keep up the good work!

Initially, when I very first had the idea for this story (it has heavily shifted) I actually had Willow as far more sexually assertive and also quite butch dykey in mind. I haven't read many Willow's like that, but it just felt too divorced from the Willow we know and love, however I figure a Willow who grew up with Faith for a best friend who accepts her sexuality young? Fuck yeah she could be more hands on, more fluid with her gender identity and attitudes. She's still a bundle of adorable nerves but I am loving writing her in this way so far.

Date incoming! thanks for the feedback :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:24 pm 
5. Willowhand

UPDATE - Very quick update, God bless shirrey for her quick beta powers.
WARNING - So, Tara's dad has some kind of long COVID (Yes, the pandemic happened in this fic) it's going to be a difficult one to explain but I've based it on my own fathers current experience, so while it may seem a little bizarre it's actually 95% based on a real persons experience. If you know someone who has suffered badly because of COVID or struggle with a sick parent this may be difficult for you to read, so I just want ya'll to be aware ahead of time.

Chapter 2 Well, This Is Awkward

When no response came, Willow threw the blanket off of her legs and jumped out of the bed.

Quickly realising she had slept nude, she threw on the nearest shirt she could find and a pair of PJ bottoms that she had left on the floor, then stormed out of her room and pounded on the door to the room left of hers.

She waited for an audible sign from her roommate but was met with silence. She pounded harder.

“FAITH! EITHER ANSWER ME, OR I’M COMING IN!” She gave Faith the kindness of five seconds before barging the door open, discovering an unconscious tangle of limbs on her roommate's bed.

Faith’s head was flat on the surface of the bed, too far down it to reach the pillow, with a small pool of drool collecting on the sheet.

Another head was resting on Faith’s naked stomach, the unknown woman’s arm was draped across the top of Faith’s thighs, thankfully covering most of her intimate area.

Their legs were spread akimbo across the rest of the bed, Willow presumed they had passed out not long after some drunken lewd activity.

Willow let out a huff of frustration at the sight, and picked up Faith’s T-shirt from the floor and then launched it towards her sleeping roommate's face.

Upon impact, Faith let out a throaty “aaarrrgghh” while scrunching her face up, but refusing to open her eyes.

“Whaaaaaaaat” she eventually uttered.

“I apparently have a DATE tonight with some woman I know nothing about?!” Willow seethed accusingly, while the unconscious woman also slowly started to wake on Faith’s stomach.

“Oh yeah” Faith confirmed nonchalantly, rubbing her head slightly to try and focus herself.

The woman on Faith’s stomach let out a tiny “eep” sound upon gaining enough consciousness to see someone else in the room with their nude forms and tried to hide herself behind Faith a little.

Willow noticed the move and kept her eyes on Faith but addressed the woman, while raising her hand up to cover the woman's modesty.

“I’m sorry, whoever you are, I’m not looking, my name’s Willow by the way, sorry we’re having to meet like this but your recent sexual partner is a menace to society and also, a total asshole”

Faith slightly protested with a defensive “hey!” before throwing on the T-shirt that previously acted as a weapon. She stood up and took her time going to her chest of drawers to find underwear and trousers while the mystery woman flung the blanket over herself and hid her head under it.

“So?” Willow impatiently asked, waiting for Faith to change and being completely unphased by her nudity.

“I don’t know dude, you thought she was pretty and I just wanted you to actually try and get out there for once, she seemed really nice. Did you read the messages?”

“Yeah, there weren’t many of them to get through. All there is on there to know about her is she’s my age and she’s moved back to Sunnydale.”

“Did you check her profile, Will? She’s a teacher. You loved school, it’s a perfect match!” Faith shrugged out her sentence while finishing dressing. She then picked up some random clothes from the floor, threw them on the bed and said “I’ll put the coffee on, babe” and gestured with her head to Willow for them to head out the door.

They both walked down the hallway and into the small open plan space of the apartment. The front door was opposite the hallway, with the small kitchen situated to the left and the living room to the right.

Faith started making 3 cups of coffee while Willow sat at the kitchen island staring daggers into her back.

“Okay, so she’s a teacher - she’s still a total stranger, what am I supposed to do? Where am I supposed to take her? What the hell are we going to talk about? What if I don’t like her? Or more than likely, what if she doesn’t like me?!” Willow's sentences burst from her in seemingly one breath, each word gaining speed as her anxiety caught up with her.

“Dude!” Faith interrupted, smacking her hand on the counter top. She turned and sighed at her friend.

“You’ve got to stop this. You’re attractive, you’re young, you’re super smart, you have a steady job during the day and you kick fucking ass on the drums at night - What self respecting, sappho loving woman wouldn’t wanna tap that?” Faiths smiled surprisingly gently at the end of her sentence, handing Willow her cup of coffee as she did so.

Willow smiled slightly and blushed at the compliment.

“Thanks. Who’s the girl by the way?” Willow enquired.

“Fuck if I know” Faith shrugged.

—----------------------------

Tara scrolled through the photos on Willow’s profile for what felt like the 100th time that morning. Her long red hair seemed so similar to the girl she kissed once five years ago, but could never really forget. She probably wasn’t the same woman but Tara found herself captivated all the same.

She sighed and put the phone down, telling herself that getting attached to just the concept of a person was ridiculous and that there were many hours until the evening with Willow, and she needed to focus.

Her father’s illness had struck the family with its ambiguous nature and unpredictable outcomes. During the pandemic, her parents had both had COVID and her mother had recovered fine, but her father had ongoing symptoms and long term difficulties that doctors were completely confused by.

The term “long covid” was thrown around a lot, some doctors didn’t believe in it, others did but were quick to point out that the condition was in such an infancy that there was no reasonable method of treating it and too many differentiating symptoms for true medical progress to be made. All they could do was assess her father’s symptoms as and when they appeared and address them accordingly.

His main issues were with his mobility, fatigue, chest pain, brain fog and difficulty swallowing. He was being treated for some of these issues with strong medication that unfortunately made his fatigue even worse, resulting in him only being conscious for a handful of hours a day.

Tara had moved back home to help her mother with him - the older woman not being strong enough to physically lift him when need be, and helping with some of his more intimate care had taken a large toll.

While her mother was out shopping, Tara stepped into the living room - which now had her fathers hospital bed in it - to check in on him.

Her fathers tired but happy smile greeted her as she walked in, and she beamed back.

“Daddy, you’re awake!” She grinned, taking a seat next to his bed.

“I am and I’m so happy to see you, pumpkin!” He gestured his arms for her to lean over and give him a hug.

“How are you feeling?” She asked him seriously.

“Eh, I’m okay. Did a 25k jog this morning, lifted some weights, you know the usual - just thought I’d take a load off for a moment” he joked.

Tara good naturedly rolled her eyes.

“I see despite all of your problems, your humour is unfortunately intact” she retorted.

“Well, you’ve got to laugh, haven’t you?” he responded, more seriously.

She nodded, trying not to add to the sombre tone.

“So then, are you all unpacked? Starting the new job soon? Phoned up any old friends? Tell your old man!” he prodded, trying to distract them both from the darker turn of conversation.

“Yes to the unpacked. I’m starting at the high school on Monday so not long now and no old friends to really contact, although…`` She started to speak but then caught herself a little too late, hoping her father wouldn’t push.

“Although? … “ he added, waiting for her to finish her sentence.

“I have a date this evening” she replied back evenly.

“Oh that’s good, with who?” He asked with a small smile.

“Her name is Willow” She didn’t meet his eye when she said it.

“Ah. her. So… that’s still happening, is it?” He asked awkwardly.

“Dad..” she said in a warning tone.

“I’m just surprised, I figured it was a college phase… you young ones are apparently all gay now…” he started to roll his eyes.

“Dad” she said, firmer this time.

He stopped and sighed.

“I’m sorry, pumpkin. I don’t mean to be difficult. Just hard to take in, things keep changing and I’m old and literally falling apart at this point” his voice cracking as his frustration grew.

“Daddy, I love you. You love me too, right?” Tara spoke, gently.

“Of course I do, you know I do” he implored, reaching his hand out for hers.

“Then you want me to be happy and be myself, right?” she pushed slightly, with a small smile on her face.

He looked into her eyes, feeling his dampen a little.

“I do. I know. I’m trying, pumpkin. I’m trying.” he gripped her hand tighter.

“I know,” she said quietly.

“Now, how about I make you some breakfast?” she asked.

“Finally!” he bellowed with a chuckle.

—-----------------------

Willow had messaged Tara the address of a lounge bar for their date that evening. Tara, not knowing much about Sunnydale’s current nightlife, didn’t know what to expect so she had worn a plain navy dress, matching heels and some small and simple jewellery. Not one for dating often, she tried to dress more confidently than she felt, so she chose a dress that showed a hint of cleavage.

As she walked through the door, she saw that the room was warmly decorated with deep brown wooden tables, chairs, and the main bar while all the upholstery was a textured dark red, creating an inviting and almost seductive atmosphere. There was a pianist in the corner, performing incredibly mundane light jazz that’s only purpose was to fill the silence, something Tara silently appreciated.

According to the signs around, Tara was happy to note that while it seemed more of a drinking establishment that they actually served food in the form of small sharing plates and some tapas.

She scanned the bar for any sign of the long haired red head she was hoping to meet when a beautiful woman with very short red hair approached her.

“Hi, Tara, did you find the place okay?” Willow asked, feeling incredibly nervous and desperately trying to stop herself from looking Tara up and down.

She had spent the whole day panicking about the evening that she didn’t consider actually being blown away by how gorgeous this woman would be in real life.

“Whoa. Your hair… in your pictures your hair is quite long” Tara commented, taking a moment to register that Willow was the same woman with a vastly different look. Her hair was shaved short around the back and sides but raised slightly on top, housing a strategically spikey look that curled forward on the right side, creating a small styled quiff.

As surprised as she was, Tara found the look incredibly sexy. She quickly scanned the rest of the redhead and appreciated the simple white blouse she wore with black slacks. The almost formal attire juxtaposed wonderfully with the informal hairdo and Tara found it intriguing.

“Oh. right. The pictures… I haven’t updated that profile in quite some time” Willow blushed, hoping Tara didn’t ask too many questions about the app as she didn’t even set it up and didn’t actually know what pictures of her, or what information for that matter, was available on it.

“That’s fair enough” Tara muttered awkwardly, feeling bad for bringing attention to the woman's difference in looks. She had to resist the urge to touch the short hair.

“Um, shall we grab a table?” Willow offered, pointing to the booths towards the back of the room.

Tara nodded shyly and they walked side by side before taking their seats.

“So…” Willow started, realising quickly she had absolutely no idea what to say.

“... Hi?” Tara responded, smiling but completely lost about blind date etiquette.

They both giggled uncomfortably, and then continued to sit in silence for a few agonising seconds.

“I have no idea what to say,” Willow admitted.

“Oh thank God, me neither” Tara laughed, thanking whatever deities exist that Willow joined in with her laughter.

“I don’t do this, the online dating thing, to be honest with you” Tara offered.

“Me neither, I’ve never done much of any dating to tell you the truth” as soon as the sentence left her mouth Willow internally swore, wishing she hadn’t shown how much of an inexperienced virgin she was out of the gate.

“Well, we’re both newbies. Hopefully we can work this out together?” The hopeful smile Tara gave Willow made her melt a little in her seat.

“I hope so.” Willow smiled back.

And then the uncomfortable silence returned.

Desperate to break it, Willow suddenly jumped into a short babble.

“Shall we look at ordering some food? They do some sharing plates, so we could order a few different things. If you want to share, that is. I mean it depends on how hungry you are really, we could go somewhere else if you wanted a big meal but I’d heard this place had a variety of options so I thought it could be good if it turned out you were vegan or gluten intolerant or some other condition I’m not privy to - ” Willow felt silly explaining the concept of the restaurant, as it wasn’t exactly rocket science, but managed to stop mid babble as she saw Tara start to stifle a giggle at her speech.

“This restaurant is fine, sharing plates sound good” Tara offered before the girl continued, and they discussed a few options to order, discovering that a lot of their tastes overlapped.

Willow went to the bar and ordered their food, returning with a tray of drinks for each of them.

“It occurred to me I didn’t ask what you wanted to drink before going up to order and I didn’t want to get the wrong thing so I’ve got water, a beer, a mojito and a lemonade. I uh, didn’t know if you drank alcohol. Have whichever you like!” Willow beamed at Tara while she set the tray down.

Tara did a little dance in her head, her internal monologue repeatedly screaming she’s so cute! Before choosing a drink.

“I’ll take the Mojito, thank you for the options thats… that’s very thoughtful” she gave the redhead a half smile.

“Well, I think a lot,” Willow shrugged and smirked, hoping their sense of humour would gel. She was delighted when Tara responded with a chuckle.

“So your profile says you’re a teacher?” Willow enquired, wanting to get to know the blonde better.

“Yes, I’m actually due to start at Sunnydale High on Monday.”

“Oh wow, my old high school - if you see “Faith Rules, Willow Drools” scrawled into a table just know that’s my friend's handiwork and not mine.” The blonde snorted into her drink a little bit, finding the little quirks of Willow’s personality absolutely charming.

“It’s actually my old high school, too.” Tara admitted.

“Whaaat there’s no way a hottie like you was in our high school and I didn’t notice!” Willow responded without thinking and yet again internally cursed herself for speaking, ever.

“Well, I kept to myself. I don’t think I spoke two words the entire time I was there and I left pretty much immediately after graduation” Tara explained, thankfully ignoring Willow’s ‘hottie’ comment.

“I mean, that was 5 years ago. What brought you back home?” Willow enquired, still surprised she had no memory of the blonde in school with her.

“My dad… he uh, he got really sick with COVID and it has messed him up, kind of a lot. I moved home to help my mother take care of him” she didn’t want to sour their conversation but didn’t know how else to answer the question.

“Oh. Wow. I’m so sorry.” Willow reached across the table to cover Tara’s hand with her own in a comforting gesture, and swore she could feel a spark between them as soon as their skin connected.

Tara appreciated the move and smiled up at the adorable redhead.

“So what do you do? Your profile focused on the band stuff but do you have a day job?” Tara asked, wanting equally to know more about the woman in front of her.

“Oh yeah haha, I run my own computer company - well, it’s just me - essentially I go to people's homes and fix their computers. I get to organise my own hours this way and it saves people money, shops tend to charge more than I think is necessarily fair. I majored in computer science and I just love technology in general, so it’s easy enjoyable work that pays the bills”.

Tara noticed how Willow seemed more comfortable when she was talking about her work and liked seeing the slightly calmer side to the girl.

“That’s actually great to know, my mothers home computer has been performing really slowly - we’re not a tech savvy household” Tara blushed slightly at the admittance hoping her tech-ineptitude wouldn’t put Willow off her.

Willow grinned in response “Oh I’d happily come over and take a look! If uh, if you’d like to see me again, I mean” Willow blushed at the eagerness in her own voice.

“I would love that” Tara smiled, and Willow was thankful that the date had started to go well.

That feeling was swiftly ruined by the arrival of their waitress with their various plates of food.

“I have the loaded fries with… oh, Willow. Didn’t realise you were here” the brunette smiled and pushed her chest out slightly after noticing Willow in the booth.

Tara raised an eyebrow at the exchange, immediately uncomfortable.

“Uh, Amy. hi.” Willow’s face drained of any colour, wondering when Amy started working here and when the world decided she needed a good shitting on.

“Are you guys playing tonight?” Amy completely ignored Tara and leaned on the side of the booth next to Willow, towering over the woman slightly.

“No, our next show is out of town” Willow responded politely, wanting the exchange to be over.

“Well” Amy smiled at her, putting the plates on the table.

“Let me know when your next show is, maybe I’ll stop by. Especially as you’re apparently available now” her eyes pointedly moved towards Tara as she mentioned being “available” and then she turned and left the table without a word.

There was a silent beat between the pair as the food sat between them.

“That was uh…” Willow started attempting to explain.

“Amy”

“Uh yeah, she’s a bit forward” that was quite the understatement, Tara felt.

“Is she an ex of yours?” The blonde asked directly.

“No! God no. She’s terrifying.” Willow admitted. She paused, knowing she’d need to continue as she saw the patient but slightly confused look on Tara’s face.

“She has been to my band's shows a few times, always very flirty with me but I’ve always said no, I kinda told her I was straight? And I guess she put two and two together and came up with lesbian”.

“She seems reasonably attractive, why did you never consider her?” Tara asked, despite herself.

“She’s not what I’m looking for, I’m looking for something real… you know?” Willow met her gaze as she said this, knowing it was way too soon to have a serious conversation about their nonexistent relationship.

“Yeah, I know,” Tara smiled. “So what made you contact me last night?”

Willow stalled, and muttered a fuck in her head.

“Uh… well… I kind of didn’t?” Willow’s voice raised strangely at the confession.

“What do you mean?”

“Uh… okay, please don’t take this poorly. I was drinking with my guitarist after we played last night. She’s the one who put the app on my phone, did my profile, everything. Anyway she was nagging me about dating and opened the app and she showed me your picture and I said how pretty you were and then I went to the bathroom and I woke up this morning and I had a date with you and I yelled at her because I had no idea but I really did think you were pretty and felt like we should have the date anyway because who knows this could kind of be fate you know and I just didn’t know how things would go and then I showed up and you were absolutely breathtaking and it feels like my foot has taken permanent residence in my mouth since we’ve been here but I, I think you’re really nice and I’d love to get to know you better if I could just stop embarrassing myself for one damn second!” Willow stopped, due to lack of oxygen and breathed slowly for a second.

Tara took a few seconds to process the outburst, and to take account of her feelings.

Immediately she felt embarrassed that Willow wasn’t the one who sought her out, which knocked her confidence a little, however Willow clearly found her attractive and her babbling, while self deprecating, was adorable and passionate and she couldn’t help but find the redhead intriguing.

“It’s okay” Tara said gently, letting the combination of feelings relax in her chest.

“I’m really sorry” Willow tacked on, feeling like that wasn’t enough.

“I guess... It doesn’t matter how we got here, as long as we have a good time?” Tara offered, not wanting to ruin the evening.

Willow smiled up at her in gratitude, and then picked up one of the plates, presenting it forward.

“Fries?”

—----------------------

After their meal and some light getting-to-know-you talking, the women headed out of the bar towards the parking lot.

“Uh, before you go I actually… kind of made you something” Willow admitted.

“Really?” Tara asked, pleasantly surprised.

Willow started speaking while reaching into her car and pulling out a round tin.

“Well sort of. I bake when I’m stressed, and I made a batch of cookies today and I thought you might like one? You obviously don’t have to have one, you might not even like cookies! I mean, I don’t know how anyone couldn’t like cookies but we still don’t know each other very well and well people can be interesting but if you do like cookies…” Willow’s babble was interrupted again by Tara pressing a finger against her lip.

“Your babble is adorable” Tara stated, enjoying the brief closeness of the exchange.

Willow’s eyes went wide and struggling for anything to do or say, she awkwardly pushed the tin up between them.

“Cookie?”

Tara giggled and opened the tin, accepting a cookie.
She chewed thoughtfully, consuming half the cookie, wanting Willow to know she was appreciating the gesture.

“Mmm” she moaned happily around the cookie, which caused an involuntary spark to run down Willow’s spine.

“Good?” She asked, eager to please the beautiful blonde.

“Great actually - I love the chocolate, and the texture is just right!” Tara happily swallowed the last of her cookie.

“Thank you that’s good to know” Willow grinned at the accomplishment “When would you like me to check out your mom’s computer?” Willow asked, desperate for an opportunity to see her again.

“Oh, it depends on when you’re free…” Tara started to say.

“I’m free tomorrow” Willow supplied.

“Tomorrow works” Tara smiled, but her smile turned into a concerned look when she felt her chest tighten and her mouth started to feel strange.

She pressed her fingers to her lips and noticed the inflammation.

“Willow… was there peanut butter in that cookie?”

—-------------------------

A few hours later, the pair stood outside the hospital. Willow rushed Tara there after realising she was having an anaphylactic shock and didn’t bring her epi pen. Tara felt mostly okay after being treated, just exhausted at the surprising turn of events.

“So…” Willow started, having no idea what to say now.

“As first dates go… this is probably your worst, right?” Willow offered, heart broken at how everything panned out.

Tara, despite herself, burst out laughing.

END OF CHAPTER 2

Post subject: Re: With The Girl At The Rock Show [Updated 22/07/22]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I love a Willow and Faith friendship, and as maybe ... inconsiderate as Faith can feel, you've given her a lot of heart too- she really is acting out of love for her friend. I also love how Faith is all- hey babe I'll make you coffee one minute and then I have no idea who that girl is the next lol- such a player

I appreciate how you are handling Tara's dad's reaction to Tara's sexuality- it's often complicated like that- like he means well and is trying...but also can't get past himself. Overall, their interactions are sweet and familiar- it's weird to read Tara with a nice dad lol

The date was super cute! I love how nervous and accommodating Willow is- she really wants Tara to have a good time, and Tara is a lovely mix of shy and calming- which is just so her.

Amy.... just ew Amy, she's obviously got a little obsession with Willow going on.

And dang, if they can survive Willow accidently sending Tara into anaphylactic shock - they are off to a good start!! Plus they just fit.

Can't wait for more!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:20 pm 
5. Willowhand

shirrey wrote:
I love a Willow and Faith friendship, and as maybe ... inconsiderate as Faith can feel, you've given her a lot of heart too- she really is acting out of love for her friend. I also love how Faith is all- hey babe I'll make you coffee one minute and then I have no idea who that girl is the next lol- such a player

I appreciate how you are handling Tara's dad's reaction to Tara's sexuality- it's often complicated like that- like he means well and is trying...but also can't get past himself. Overall, their interactions are sweet and familiar- it's weird to read Tara with a nice dad lol

The date was super cute! I love how nervous and accommodating Willow is- she really wants Tara to have a good time, and Tara is a lovely mix of shy and calming- which is just so her.

Amy.... just ew Amy, she's obviously got a little obsession with Willow going on.

And dang, if they can survive Willow accidently sending Tara into anaphylactic shock - they are off to a good start!! Plus they just fit.

Can't wait for more!

Every moment of Faith in this fic for me is a joy to write, really regretting not including her in SID didn’t realise she’d be so much fun! She’s definitely rough around the edges heart of gold type so I’m glad that’s coming across!

I don’t think I’m ever going to be able to write a canon-esque version of Tara’s family. I can’t do it. I want her to have a nice family and I will find a way to shoe-horn that in wherever possible.

I am having a lot of fun writing Willow in this because I’m trying to keep her true to what we know of Willow but also have her punk / alternative element come through from this iteration so she’s more sweary and darker humoured but still a smart ball of awkward energy. Tara is a much more subtle character in comparison so balancing them is interesting too.

Amy in this is just an example of the off putting personalities you find in these circles - sadly I pulled this from lived experience lol

Thanks for your support my dear! Onto the chapter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:22 pm 
5. Willowhand

UPDATE / TRIGGER WARNING - theres a lot of grief related stuff in this fic in general and this chapter touches on it with some hard conversations and some gallows humour, just FYI.

CHAPTER 3 - Overbearing Mothers and Burying Brothers

“How many times have I told you to always have an epi pen on you…” Dorothy sighed in exasperation and concern into her hot chocolate, shaking her head as she disapproved of her daughters incompetence.

“I know, I know, I hear you loud and clear Mom” Tara rolled her eyes and dismissively waved her hand to skirt past the issue.

Her mother’s overbearing worry over her nut allergy was, although clearly warranted, still very irritating to the young woman.

She had come back home after the date, tired but enthusiastic about the night. Her mother had been “just about to go to bed” and obviously not waiting up, dressed in PJs and a robe and sat at the kitchen island nursing her beverage.

Tara spent some time filling her mother in on the date excitedly and tried to make light of the hospital trip, but she should have known her mother would make a fuss of that element.

Dorothy gave Tara a deathly glare, challenging her daughter’s apparent disinterest in her concern, to which Tara shifted uncomfortably, feeling the child-like need to do as she was told.

“I’ll be more careful” she finally relented. Dorothy nodded and forced herself to not say “You’re damn right you will”.

Deciding to give her daughter an out, she changed the subject.

“So, when are you seeing her again?” Dorothy raised an eyebrow with her question, delighting a little in her daughter finally embracing the concept of a love life.

“Well actually, she runs her own computing business, I mentioned yours being on the fritz…” Tara dangled the sentence, allowing her mother to jump in as she expected.

“Ooh! A girl who likes you and has a trade? Yes, I approve! Get her here tomorrow. That damn PC is driving me crazy! It took me ten minutes to open an email today!”

Tara giggled at her mothers enthusiasm.

“I’ll text her” she smiled, hoping her eagerness wouldn’t be unwelcome to Willow.

—-------------

Willow returned home to a similar scenario, with Faith sitting at their kitchen island, curious about the outcome of the date - although instead of drinking hot chocolate her roommate was drinking bourbon and was wearing a thong and a cut up Black Flag T-shirt instead of PJs.

“Dude, you poisoned her? Fuck me” Faith snorted into her glass.

“I just gave her a cookie” Willow pouted, looking sadly at the counter top and wondering if there has ever been a first date worse than the one she just experienced.

“Should’ve given her your other cookies” Faith winked “can’t get an allergic reaction from titties”

Willow glared at her in annoyance for a moment, before feeling herself sink back into her own sadness and allowing her forehead to plant slightly onto the counter in front of her, smacking it lightly and repeatedly while punctuating the beats with the words “why me” to herself.

Faith watched her roommate's self hating performance in front of her and was about to put an end to it, when the redhead’s phone lit up next to Faith’s glass.

She caught a glimpse of the start of the message that just said “Is tomorrow too soon…” and Faith quirked her eyebrow in amusement.

“You know, for a girl who sends em’ to the hospital, you apparently still got game” Faith chuckled and slid Willow’s phone back over to her.

Willow’s brow furrowed and she picked up the device, reading over it quickly before whispering “no way” in shock.

—-------------------------

Willow pressed the lock on her car keys, watching her 5 door Mini blink its lights cheerfully back at her. Her little blue car always amused her, it was a decade old and had seen better days but she loved it and had adorned it with ridiculous decorations over the years, from her “01010000 01110101 01101110 01101011” bumper sticker (a custom job her colleagues understood but didn’t understand the appeal of, and her bandmates got after it was explained but still thought was fucking lame) to her Alkaline Trio air freshener hanging from her rear view mirror.

She looked around briefly to make sure no one was watching her and then whispered to her car “Okay Atom, wish me luck!”

She nervously tried to flatten her polo shirt against her frame as she walked toward the house, feeling self conscious that her second meeting with Tara was in her cheap polyester uniform. It was bright blue with a large Yellow “RC” Logo over the breast with ‘Willow’ written directly underneath, and the block text of “Rosenberg Computing” written on the back across her shoulder blades.

She tried to match the shirt with a tight pair of tan slacks, wanting to still appear professional (after all this was technically a business call) but also appear at least moderately appealing to Tara.
She approached a small home with a nice, if slightly unkempt, front garden that clearly used to be quite cared for judging by the ornaments and meticulously arranged flower beds - but the sad state of the plants themselves indicated they had been mostly left for a while.

She knocked on the door gently and waited, nervously wringing her hands behind her.

The door opened and revealed Tara wearing a soft white blouse and tight blue jeans, smiling widely at the house guest.

“Hey you, thanks for coming at such short notice” she smiled at the redhead, immediately swooning over her adorable outfit.

“No worries, it’s the least I could do after…you know…” Willow awkwardly tried to refer to the night before but couldn’t find the right words.

Unluckily for her, Tara’s mother was within earshot, and opened the door wider behind Tara to reveal herself and filling in the end of Willow’s sentence.

“Tried to kill her?” Dorothy supplied with a smile, finding the moment to embarrass her daughter and horrify her suitor at the same time too amusing to pass up.

Tara groaned, and all the blood drained from Willow’s face.

The redhead’s mouth hung open as she found herself, for possibly the first time ever, speechless.

Dorothy picked up on the misstep and tried to save the situation.

“Oh I’m kidding, relax! You must be Willow, I’m Dorothy” she held out her hand to the shocked redhead who managed to regain motor function enough to return the gesture.

“It’s okay sweetie, come on in” Tara turned to move back inside the house, shooting her mother a glare as she did so, which meant she missed Willow’s small smile at the term of endearment.

Tara watched as Dorothy showed Willow the house computer and explained the issue she had been having.

Willow asked a couple of questions about the machine's performance and appeared more self assured to Tara than she had the night before. It seemed the topic of computers revealed a very assertive and knowledgeable version of the redhead and Tara was intrigued, and a little bit aroused by the confidence Willow was displaying.

She briefly thought that watching Willow play drums with similar confidence might actually kill her.

Willow sat at the machine and ran some diagnostic checks, testing the CPU usage during typical day to day activities and running a virus scan just to be sure, all the while aware that Tara seemed to be watching her the entire time. She hoped it was for a good reason.

In no time at all, Willow had determined that the family’s computer issues were a combination of user error, out of date software, and some storage issues, so she patiently sat with Dorothy and explained the problems while clearing up digital clutter where she could. Dorothy immediately saw a response difference in the computer and praised Willow for her efficiency and clear explanation.

The pair seemed to get on very well, which made Tara both happy and mildly horrified - she knew her mother would hound her about the relationship from then on.

Dorothy briefly left the pair alone, and Willow started wringing her hands in nerves again, not really sure what to say to the blonde.

“Do you have another job after this or are you free for say… a cup of coffee?” Tara offered. She didn’t want this meeting to solely be about her mothers computer browsing needs.

“I would love that.” Willow grinned dopely in response, happy for an excuse to continue the experience.

“I’d offer you a cup here but I would kinda prefer to have you all to myself - want to head into town?” Tara was surprised at her own forwardness but she definitely didn’t want her mother trying to eavesdrop outside the kitchen door.

“Oh sure, want me to drive?” Willow offered, also pleased at the ‘alone’ notion. As nice as Mrs Maclay was, she wasn’t the Maclay she wanted to date.

Tara nodded but before she could respond audibly, her mother came back in the room clutching her purse.

“How much do I owe you?” She asked expectantly.

“Oh, no charge Mrs Maclay!” Willow immediately dismissed the question.

“Don’t be ridiculous - I hired you, you did your job, how much?” Dorothy rolled her eyes at the gesture.

“I did very little, it was just a case of determining the cause, it wasn’t any trouble - besides it feels weird charging you when I’m trying to date your daughter” Willow admitted with a small blush, hoping the Maclays would find her amusing and not presumptuous.

Dorothy started to respond before Tara cut her off.

“I’m going to take Willow on a date, Mom. I’m paying, think that’ll cover your charge today?” Tara asked Willow with a half smile.

“Yes, definitely.” Willow smiled back.

The two seemed lost in their little smiling stare so Dorothy shrugged and left them to it.

—-----------------

They drove to The Espresso Pump, Sunnydales best (and only) independent cafe and Tara, true to her word, paid for their coffees and sandwiches as the women chose to indulge in a light lunch.

While chatting shyly about mundane matters like their meal and the weather and general ‘get to know you’ chit chat, Tara’s phone beeped repeatedly.

During a pause in the conversation, she checked her phone and saw a lot of notifications from her mother. Concerned, her eyes furrowed as she read through.

“Is something wrong?” Willow asked, after swallowing a bite of sandwich.

“It’s just my mother,” Tara responded, not lifting her eyes from the phone with a frowning expression.

“Is something wrong with your Dad? Need me to drive you back?” Willow immediately started to stand and pulled out her car keys.

“Oh no no, she’s just being nosey. That’s really sweet of you, though” Tara remarked, surprised at Willow’s readiness.

“Well - you said you’ve been helping out at home, I wouldn’t want to keep you out if there was an emergency.” She shrugged matter of factly.

Tara smiled to herself, realising once again that she swoons every time Willow’s sweet nature presents itself.

“I have - and thank you for that but my mother is just constantly texting me asking about how the date is going” she shook her head good naturedly.

“Does she normally do that?” Willow asked, knowing the woman opposite her had claimed not to date much.

“Well, with my lack of dating experience, I have no idea. I think it’s a combination of her being excited about me having a love life and me being back home so she thinks she can treat me like a teenager again” Tara laughed despite herself and worried briefly if her mothers nature would put Willow off.

“It’s sweet that she’s interested. My mother… not so much” Willow shrugged.

“What do you mean?” Tara leaned forward, curious about Willow’s family.

“We’re not… close. My parents are both academics, they’re away a lot at talks and conferences and doing research and what-have-you. Because I was a smart kid they presumed I didn’t need much interference so I kinda raised myself more than anything. My mother doesn’t even know I’m gay.” Willow was surprised at herself as she usually didn’t talk much about her family, she just felt comfortable with Tara and felt at ease enough to let her feelings out, in a non-anxious-babble way.

Tara looked across at the beautiful woman and felt awful for her, her childhood sounded so lonely and loveless. She lost her brother when she was 18 but until then she’d had a loving, fun relationship with him, as well as supportive loving parents. The idea of not having any of that broke her heart a little.

She leaned forward and took Willow’s hand, who looked up in surprise.

“I’m truly sorry, that sounds like a lonely childhood” Tara told her earnestly.

“Well, yeah, but hey - so many kids had so much worse, basically all of my band mates grew up with horrible home lives so it’d be rich of me to complain that I was just ignored a bit.” Willow tried to shrug off the concern, feeling a little silly that she had made a big deal out of it.

Tara shook her head.

“Don’t diminish your pain. Just because other people's lived experience is harsh, doesn’t mean your own pain isn’t valid. Not to get too serious on you but part of our teacher training is about recognising forms of child abuse and technically, neglect is a big one and essentially leaving you to raise yourself sounds particularly neglectful to me. I’m not suggesting your parents are abusive, just trying to get you to understand that your experience is not something to diminish, the pain of it shaped who you are. And that’s okay to admit, and to feel, and reflect on. We’re all damaged in our own ways, life leaves its mark.”

Willow had a surge of many combating feelings. Quick flashes of her childhood, her parents indifference, how much she struggled socially because of it, believing that people wouldn’t want to be around her if her own parents couldn’t manage it, how the insecurities bottled up into self hatred and anger that lead her to heavy music and scruffy rock venues so she had the opportunity to scream out into the void and express her pain with a room full of others, all on their own but also a collective of lost, sad souls. How that passion turned into a hobby that then turned into a calling she could never deny.

She’d never let herself think about it too hard but, the disinterest from her parents led her to the person she was today.

While Willow was internally having an epiphany, Tara was cursing herself for presumably upsetting the redhead and making some potential judgements on her parents who she knew nothing about.

The brief moment of silence that followed felt endless to Tara.
“I am so sorry, I shouldn’t have said all that… that was really insensitive of me”.

Her comment broke Willow out of her reverie.

“No I think… I think you’re right. I’ve never looked at it like that but… that pain shaped me. I guess I should thank my mother for driving me to punk music” she joked, trying to lighten the mood and help Tara realise she was not upset.

Tara gave a small half smile to the comment.

“Still that was pretty heavy and dark for a second date”

“I don’t know… I haven’t had enough second dates to comment, and personally I’d rather have a tough and real conversation than just ‘so what movies do you like’” Willow shrugged, feeling more connected to the blonde with every moment.

“Me too, to be honest.” Tara nodded.

“While we’re being open, I’ve gotta say… I really like you. I know it’s been like two dates and I…you know… poisoned you” she jokingly rolled her eyes, which Tara snorted at “but I’ve never felt like this before.” Willow offered her honestly, trying to be brave.

“I feel very much the same.”

Tara had kept her hand on the redheads throughout their conversation and took this moment to slowly stroke the back of Willow’s hand with her thumb in a confirming caress, emphasising Tara’s own interest in her.

Willow smiled at the gesture.

“I feel a little lopsided though, you with all the insight into lil Willow’s torment, so fess up - what’s your damage?” Willow joked at the conversation they found themselves in, presuming Tara would understand.

Tara did, but still didn’t want to hide anything.

“My brother died, five years ago. He was… well, my best friend. My only friend. We were incredibly close… he got in a car accident… he died before they even got him to the hospital.”

Willow sat stunned at the revelation.

“Oh.”

The pregnant pause between them seemed to engulf the table in its tense silence.

“Fuck” was all she could manage to utter to break it.

At the expletive, Tara started to laugh.

“Okay, hands down, the best reaction I’ve had to that” Tara shook her head.

Willow was relieved that Tara took her reaction well considering how hard she internally cringed when she said it.

“I’m sorry. That’s… I can’t imagine.” Willow was ignoring every urge to babble an apology, knowing that less is more in these situations.

“Well, grief is personal to everyone. Sorry for bringing the mood crashing back down” Tara hated how she managed to keep turning the date to sour notes, they seemed to have a habit of awkward encounters.

“I said I wanted tough and real, nothing more tough and real then dead relatives” Willow quipped, feeling like Tara’s slightly odd sense of humour might allow it.

Luckily for her, Tara giggled again.

“I wonder how our third date can top this for difficult subjects.” Tara wondered aloud with good humour.

“I could take you to the dentist, or to a pap smear or … “ Willow started laughing with suggestions and almost howled when Tara interjected with “or the cemetery?” with equal amusement.

After their laughter died down, they both looked at each other affectionately until Willow smirked slightly before asking

“So… what movies do you like?”

—-------------

The girls had a great time despite the heavy subject matters discussed, so they continued their date well into the evening, watching a banal romantic comedy and grabbing dinner afterwards, getting to know each other even more over the passing hours.

Willow started to drive them back to Tara’s parents, a lot more at ease around the blonde now that they knew each other better.

Her car was blaring an aggressive, fast paced punk number with smoky female vocals that Willow’s was absent-mindedly tapping her index finger along to on the steering wheel.

Tara quirked her head to the side while she listened.

“Who’s this?” she asked, pointing to the stereo.

“Oh - that’s my band. We’ve been demoing stuff and we’re all giving them a listen over, seeing if we need to change any parts or add anything before we include a producer” Willow responded nonchalantly.

“Wow - you guys sound great.” Tara told her honestly.

“Thank you - What kind of music do you like? We somehow haven’t discussed that in between all the death and childhood trauma” Willow joked.

“I grew up on rock and punk actually, haven’t really listened to anything new in years but it’s still in me. This sounds right up my street” Tara moved her hand over Willow’s knee as she said this, unsure how else to flirt while someone was driving.

Willow mentally screamed ‘woohoo!’ to herself over the action.

“That’s… awesome. I might’ve had to rethink the whole dating thing if you were into modern country or something” Willow looked over to Tara and winked.

“Are you guys playing nearby soon?” Tara asked.

“Actually yeah, we’re playing this dive bar just outside of town this Wednesday night. Are you… do you… I mean, do you wanna come with?” Willow offered awkwardly, not wanting to pressure the woman.

“Definitely. I’ve never been the groupie before” Tara squeezed Willow’s knee at the joke, excited to see Willow’s band play.

“It’s a date.” Willow nodded, smiling the whole journey back.

—--------

They pulled up outside Tara’s parents’ house. Willow made a show of running around the car to open Tara’s door with a flourish, making Tara giggle.

“Can I walk you to your door?” Willow asked, taking Tara’s hand.

“That’s very sweet but I can almost guarantee my mother will have her face pressed to the window and I don’t know if you want a repeat performance of earlier today”

“Oh christ no she scared me to death” Willow chuckled.

“I guess you’ll just have to kiss me goodnight here then” Tara gave Willow a half smile and leaned in slightly to make her point.

“Oh. I don’t mean ‘oh’ as in I don’t want to, I do want to, I was going to when I walked you to your door but your mother watching, that’d be weird but, I guess I wasn’t expecting you to ask which isn’t bad, it’s good in fact it’s awesome but I - “ before the redhead could pass out from lack of oxygen, Tara leaned closer towards Willow and kissed her gently on the lips, slightly pushing Willow’s back against the door of the car.

After a moment of unresponsiveness Willow’s fine motor skills finally kicked in and she returned the pressure, equally as gentle, and wrapped her arms around Tara’s lower back.

As the girls grew in confidence, their lips started to move against each other and open slightly, learning the motion of each other and delighting in the simple pleasure.

Tara’s hands snaked up Willow’s neck until she was cupping her cheeks, and she finally pulled them apart.

“Wow” she said.

Willow smiled like an idiot and nodded enthusiastically “Wow” she responded.

“I guess I’ll see you Wednesday?” Tara asked, stroking the redhead’s cheek.

“Wednesday. Goodnight, Tara”

“Goodnight, Willow”

They shared a final quick peck on the lips before Tara walked towards her front door and Willow returned to her car.

Tara smiled to herself as she went to unlock the door before she noticed her mother, standing in the window, giving her a big grin and two thumbs up.

END OF CHAPTER 3

Post subject: Re: With The Girl At The Rock Show [Updated 20/08/22]
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:48 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Dorothy is cute but also, step back mom, stop texting!

Willow and Tara are very sweet here-
As someone who does not do small talk well, I so appreciate seeing that with Will and Tara- or more that they just go for realness, neither are playing games and when Will does ask about the movies Tara likes, she genuinely wants to know. I love what Tara said about pain and not diminishing it- their whole conversation speaks to a deeper understanding between them

It's so interesting how assured Tara seems about them and how Willow is having the nerves- almost a flip from when they met. Also nice kissage moves by Tara.

And yay! I am excited to see Tara at a show, and Tara and Faith meeting!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:29 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
I’m a sucker for beginning relationship fics, especially alternate realities not involving the usual Sunnydale stuff. I really like this story and I hope you continue posting updates:)

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:18 am 
5. Willowhand

shirrey wrote:
Dorothy is cute but also, step back mom, stop texting!

Willow and Tara are very sweet here-
As someone who does not do small talk well, I so appreciate seeing that with Will and Tara- or more that they just go for realness, neither are playing games and when Will does ask about the movies Tara likes, she genuinely wants to know. I love what Tara said about pain and not diminishing it- their whole conversation speaks to a deeper understanding between them

It's so interesting how assured Tara seems about them and how Willow is having the nerves- almost a flip from when they met. Also nice kissage moves by Tara.

And yay! I am excited to see Tara at a show, and Tara and Faith meeting!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Finey_McFine wrote:
I’m a sucker for beginning relationship fics, especially alternate realities not involving the usual Sunnydale stuff. I really like this story and I hope you continue posting updates:)

Haaaa yeeeeah about that...

It's only taken like 8 months but here's an update coming

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 7:20 am 
5. Willowhand

UPDATE - Yeah, it's been a while but I wanted to get back into writing now that my PGCE is finished. I don't want this to be left unfinished, if I can get myself through this one I can go back to Sparks In Dust and actually finish what I start. This chapter hasn't been beta'd because I didn't want to bother shirrey as I was unreliable for her lately.

CHAPTER 4 - Sets, Hugs and Alcohol

Tara had started her new role at the school with minimal upset, finding her feet quickly in the fast paced environment of teaching at the high school.

Her first two days flew by in a haze of inductions, new faces and the occasional “Quiet!” to rambunctious young teens.

All of a sudden it was Wednesday night, and Tara was nervously pacing in her bedroom in just her underwear, frowning at all of her clothes strewn over the bed.

There was a brief knock before the bedroom door handle turned and Dorothy walked in.

“I hope you’re almost ready… Tara, what on earth!” Dorothy gestured to the woman and then the clothes on the bed.

“I do not have anything to wear!” Tara yelled in frustration, and Dorothy had a brief flashback to Tara’s teen years.

“You appear to have many things to wear, you just haven’t chosen any” Dorothy responded matter of factly.

“These are… grown up, boring clothes. Teacher clothes. Lifeless clothes” Tara threw her hands up in agitation before sitting on the end of the bed.

Dorothy frowned at her daughter’s distress. She knew how lonely her daughter had been, and had already seen sparks of joy in her she hadn’t seen since before they lost Donnie. From afar, she’d noticed her daughter pulling away from the things that brought light in her life, including her and her brother’s terrible formative taste in music.

“I’ll be back in a moment” Dorothy quietly told Tara before leaving the room, shortly returning a few minutes later with a large, bulging box.

“I redecorated your old room but I couldn’t exactly throw these out” Dorothy sighed, putting the box down on the floor in front of Tara.

Tara looked up curiously at her mother before opening the flaps on the box, freeing its contents to the world.

Inside lay an assortment of clothing, neatly folded and well organised, which was an odd juxtaposition to the clothing itself, which were all black, covered in rips and safety pins, or bright colours and obnoxious band names.

“Oh my God you kept it all” Tara whispered under her breath, reaching in and pulling out her favourite T shirt from when she was younger.

It was a simple black T-shirt, that she had cut the sleeves off of, left little cuts and tears strategically to add shape (and show off skin), with enough of the material left to keep the band’s imagery intact. She had sewn in some multicoloured fabric patches underneath some of the tears to create a personalised patchwork style to it. She wore it to so many shows growing up, and hadn’t realised how badly she missed it until she felt it in her hands once again.

Her mother looked at the shirt she was holding and chuckled to herself. “Ah, ‘Against Me!’, almost forgot about that one. What was their God awful song you used to scream at the top of your lungs?”

“I Was A Teenage Anarchist” Tara responded, smiling at the memory.

Her mother groaned.

“Oh God, yes. I do remember when you were young and wanted to set my ears on fire.”

Tara and her mother laughed at the subtle song reference and shared a knowing look.

“Thank you for keeping these.” Tara said, sincerely.

Her mother shrugged.

“Well.. I guess you have something to wear now”.

—---------

Willow was sitting in the living room of her and Faith’s apartment, drilling out beats on her practise pad with nervous energy.

Faith and Spike sat opposite her, on the corner sofa, having a heated discussion.

“This is ridiculous - Red’s birds on the fucking guest list, why can’t Dru be on it?” Spike pointed at Willow before pushing his finger into the coffee table to punctuate his point.

Willow, who had been completely ignoring their discussion, stopped at this outburst and looked up in confusion.

“Who is Dru?” Willow asked.

Spike opened his mouth to respond but faith managed to answer for him before he managed to get a word out.

“It’s fuckin’ Wendy” Faith snorted out while rolling her eyes.

“Wendy?” Willow grimaced “Why the fuck is she ‘Dru’ now?”

Spike looked annoyed between the two of them and tried again to interject but Faith proved too fast for him once more.

“Probably more Goth-Goddess-Of-The-Night style than Wendy to be fair” Faith smirked while taking a swig of her beer.

Before most shows, the three of them awkwardly bicker and waste time waiting for Scooby to pick them up in the van. The conversations were usually jokey but on edge, because despite the countless shows they had performed, each one still made them anxious.

Spike had been on again, off again dating Wendy, an older woman with dramatic tendencies that would oscillate between various extremes at any given moment. Spike thought she hung the moon, the rest of the band thought she was a total nutter.

“How on earth do you keep going out with her, man? I don’t get it” Willow asked in a mostly disinterested tone while referring back to her drum pad, shuffling through snare rolls.

“Like you know anything about relationships, the true nature of love, the power of the chase - it’s in your blood, it controls you, not something you’d get - fuckin’ virgin preaching at me - “

“HEY” Faith cut him off and stared him down, knowing how nervous Willow was for this evening in particular and not wanting Spike to make it worse.

Spike had the decency to look guilty before turning to Willow.

“Sorry Red”

Willow nodded.

“Me too. I shouldn’t question you. I don’t know her super well, and if she makes you happy - “

Spike started laughing.

“Honestly she’s just… so good in bed. It’s… she’s insane.” Faith started laughing

“Cuffs?” Faith asked.

“Swings” Spike responded.

Both Faith and Spike laughed harder, them both side eyeing each other in a shared understanding of something Willow couldn’t quite get yet.

Luckily for her, the conversation was ended by Scooby’s signature one-thud knock on the door.

The three looked at each other and Faith winked at Willow.

“Let’s ride!”

—--------------

Scooby’s van, a Custom Ford Transit, had 5 seats and a large square space in the boot - not remotely enough storage for all their gear, so it also had a small trailer attached to the back, which housed most of the bulkier equipment like guitar cabs and drum shells.

Despite his nickname, Scooby’s van was actually red with little to no decoration whatsoever, except for a peeling black “Five By Five” sticker stuck on the sliding side door by Faith when Scooby wasn’t looking.

Scooby and Spike high fived and got in the van while Willow and Faith grabbed Faith’s guitar and closed up the apartment.

Scooby stored most of their main equipment in his storage space which is also where they usually rehearsed to save on money, it meant that he usually loaded most of the equipment before picking up the band - a very generous gesture on his part that he never complained about, but was frequently thanked for with weed donations.

“We need to pick up Willow’s date on the way, Scoob” Faith mentioned from the back seat, to which Scooby simply nodded his shaggy brown hair.

Spike fiddled with his phone to connect to the vans speakers and started blasting some of The Damned’s classic hits to get everyone in the mood.

Willow nervously stared out of the window, absolutely terrified of introducing this amazing woman she was just starting to get to know to her merry band of retrobates. She figured deep down Tara would be understanding and open minded but it was still a concern for her, colourful as they were. She loved the people in that van and would do anything for them and she wanted to see where this relationship could go, so this was a necessary step. She just hoped it went well.

“It’ll be okay, dude” Faith said to Willow’s side, picking up on her roommates nerves and looking at her with sincerity, she was telling herself she needs to be on her best behaviour for Willow’s sake.

“Thanks” Willow nodded before realising they were already at Tara’s house.

“Here goes nothin’” Willow muttered, climbing out of the van.

She left the band in the van and slowly walked up to Tara’s door, knocking lightly.

The redhead was surprised when a thinly haired, older man answered the door in a dressing gown. He looked weathered, like he had recently lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, but despite the ill health he had a bit of a sparkle in his eyes.

“Oh, hello!” He greeted Willow, with a slightly forceful cheery voice.

“Oh um, hello! Mr Maclay I presume?” Willow asked, nervous to meet the father of her almost-girlfriend.

“That was my father, call me Sir” He winked and attempted a comical salute, but caught himself off guard slightly and started to wobble.

Instinctively Willow reached out to steady him “Are you okay, Sir?” she asked.

“I was kidding - don’t call me that” he responded, feeling embarrassed.

Willow was about to offer to help him inside to sit down when Dorothy appeared behind him.

“Richard, what are you doing up?” She nodded at Willow and took over from supporting her husband and started to turn him around.

She turned her head over her shoulder to quickly address Willow while she helped her husband further into the house.

“Tara is almost ready dear, why don’t you pop up and get her? Upstairs, first door opposite.”

Willow let out a meek “Okay” while the older couple slowly manoeuvred into the living room.

Willow climbed the stairs and knocked on the door, still reeling from the introduction with Tara’s Dad.

“Come in,” Tara’s voice instructed from behind the wood.
Willow opened the door and immediately felt the air in her lungs disappear.

Tara was sitting at a dressing table, applying dark red lipstick in the attached mirror, dressed in an alternative outfit that the redhead did not expect.

A part of her worried Tara had dressed like this “for her” as she didn’t want Tara to feel like she couldn’t be herself, but at the same time she couldn’t deny that it looked really damn good on her.

Tara’s personalised favourite Against Me! Tee was ever so slightly too small for her now, causing it to snugly fit against her chest and accentuate her generous attributes, and she had paired it with a tight black skirt, knee high black stockings and a well worn pair of doc martens.

She had been applying quite heavy, dark make up and was adorned with a variety of colourful and grungy jewellery.

Willow was having a hard time taking her eyes off of the woman.

Tara turned towards the door in the split second of Willow’s ogling observations and realised it was Willow and not her mother, like she had anticipated, at the door.

“Oh, I’m so sorry I didn’t realise I was running late!” Tara apologised, quickly standing up and causing a slight bounce that made Willow gulp.

“Uh…” Willow responded, without any thought in her brain.

Tara looked down at herself and mistook Willow’s slackjawed appearance to be confusion.

“Probably not the side of me you’re used to seeing…but it’s a punk gig and my mother still had some of my old stuff so I figured… Do I look wrong or something?” Tara asked, suddenly self conscious.
“Oh, no. definitely not.” Willow managed to croak.

“No?” Tara gave Willow a little half smile at the comment.

“There’s a lot of words I could use to describe how you look but uh… wrong isn’t one of them” Willow felt a weird sense of calm come over her as she addressed Tara. She let herself breathe out.

“Hi” she said, smiling and stepping closer.

“Hi” Tara said, bridging the gap, and bringing their lips together.

Tara had intended the kiss to be a ‘hello’, a small expression of affection to solidify this is in fact a date and remind both of them that they have embraced before. Nothing more was intended by the act, but as soon as her lips touched the redheads, some kind of switch went off inside of both of them.

Willow was internally blaming the bounce from Tara’s shirt for her own forwardness, as she instinctively pulled the girl in harder against herself, sliding her hands down the blonde’s sides and finding herself fiddling with the edge of her T-shirt, letting the edges of her fingers brush the bare skin beneath.

Tara was equally lost upon first connection, finding herself delving into Willow and exploring with her tongue, while sliding her fingers into the woman's short, spikey hair and lightly scratching the back of her neck.

Simultaneously they both moaned into the experience, both unaware of how easily and quickly a simple kiss could set them on fire.

The kiss was interrupted by a van horn being signalled outside, and they pulled apart. Willow inwardly cursing her bandmates timing while also feeling guilty for keeping them waiting. Tara on the other hand was shocked by how fast things had escalated and was struggling to calm herself down.

“We should probably get going,” Willow told her, still holding her close and finding it hard to disengage.

“Um, yes. I’m ready let’s uh… let’s go” Tara nodded, stepping backwards out of the redheads embrace, gesturing towards the door.

—--------

The ride over was suitably awkward. Willow had nervously introduced Tara to the van, the boys were polite and Faith made small chit chat with Tara on the way out of town to the venue while Willow just sat silently, her mind going a mile a minute.

She panicked she’d been too pushy with their kiss, worried about the interaction with Tara’s dad, freaked that she was doing a terrible job of navigating the social niceties of Tara meeting her chosen family. Her thoughts were screaming over each other and she felt completely lost, until towards the end of the journey when Tara gently took Willow’s hand and gave it a subtle squeeze.

Willow squeezed back, and felt herself start to breathe again. She wasn’t sure how Tara knew she needed that, but she desperately did.

—---------
The basement venue was surprisingly busy for a Wednesday night.

Originally titled “The Killing Floor”, the venue was underneath a regular bar, down stone steps via a separate entrance.

Inside, the walls were dark cracked brick, decorated with hanging shackles and fake blood stains, aiming for a macabre vibe but landing more in walmart halloween territory.

Despite the cheesy nature of it’s gothy appearance, the place was a popular hang out for the alternative crowd and was frequently full of drunk students, ageing metalheads, and the occasional hot topic teenager.

Scooby and Spike had offered to unload while Faith and Willow set up the merch table with Tara quickly in toe.

Willow went through their current offerings, namely different coloured T shirts with their bold “5” Logo printed in black, as well as little fun extras like a printed kazoo and various stickers.

“What’s the largest size you have for the yellow tees?” Tara asked, off hand.

“Oh! I think we have some of the double XLs left. Why?” Willow asked, a little distracted.

Tara handed her $20 and said “One please!”
“Oh.. no you don’t have to - “ Willow started to say.

“But I want to” Tara pressed, putting the money in Willow’s hand.

“That’s not even your size” Willow protested.

“I know. I want to sleep in it.” Tara said, completely innocently.

Willow’s brain broke slightly at the response and Faith managed to save her from responding further by throwing a XXL shirt in Tara’s direction.

“Have it on the house. I’m sure you can pay Willow back later” Faith winked good naturedly at Tara, who caught the shirt and thanked her.

Tara shyly smiled at Willow “I’m going to get us a drink” and walked towards the bar.

Willow stared at the space where Tara was standing and just quietly muttered to herself.

“...what?!”

—-------

At the bar, Tara patiently waited to be served, when Amy sauntered over to stand next to her.

“So, did you survive the first round or did you just show up to try and get her attention?” She tersely asked, pushing her chest out in it’s tiny confines in a strange act of dominance assertion.

“Excuse me?” Tara responded, unused to confrontation.

“She’s not the type to date or keep girls around. Just trying to work out what makes you so special, so far I don’t see much reason for it” Amy sneered in her direction, looking Tara up and down with disgust.

Tara was in disbelief at being addressed so rudely by a woman she didn’t even know at all but had no idea how to react.

Tara’s pause in reaction caused Amy to roll her eyes even harder.

“Wow, it’s clearly not because you’re a conversationalist, at any rate. I don’t know what exactly you're selling to keep her attention but I’d keep it up because she shuts down easy and no offence, but a hot drummer in a punk band? She’s… got offers, if you know what I mean. Might be a tall order for a meek little mouse like you” Amy threw her head back and laughed before leaving the blonde bewildered at the bar.

Tara felt rattled. This woman obviously had a thing for Willow and Willow had said she wasn’t interested but… she had just met her. Truthfully, she knew very little about her… with how hot and heavy things had gotten so quickly, maybe Willow has high expectations.

The barman suddenly appeared, breaking Tara out of her thoughts, absentmindedly she ordered two beers and then suddenly asked for three shots of vodka.

The order arrived, and she scanned the venue, noticing the explicit way Amy danced to the PA that was blasting while the first band set up.

Determined to not be a ‘meek little mouse’, Tara downed the shots, and returned to Willow with the beer.

—--------

“Five By Five” were headlining, which meant they were closing off the night - fantastic for them in regards to musical clout, but terrible in regards to awkwardly sitting around trying not to drink too much and making small talk for hours on end.

During the other band's sets, Tara had danced, chatted with Faith and Spike (Scooby is not much of a conversationalist) and drank. At first, Willow had joined her in a few - having a higher tolerance that you’d expect from years of drinking and gigging - but had slowed down to keep herself sharp for the show, and also out of concern.

Tara had been bubbly, open, friendly and chatty with the band and it had warmed her heart. She had also danced closely to her, pressed herself close, kissed her a few times and had been a little bit more touchy than Willow expected.

Part of her did enjoy the attention, she couldn’t deny that, but it seemed out of character for Tara and worried her about what was happening. She liked Tara a lot and didn’t want to blow it, but she wasn’t ready for anything that physical just yet and she originally assumed Tara didn’t either.

The last act had finished and were packing up, so the band stood up to get themselves ready.

“Are you going to be okay?” Willow asked Tara, taking her hand briefly.

“I’ll be fine, and I bet you’re going to be great baby” Tara slurred while she winked and allowed her free hand to squeeze Willow’s behind briefly.

Willow went crimson and didn’t have time to work out her response as Faith started dragging her towards the stage.

“Ain’t she a teacher? Why is she gettin’ so far gone on a school night?” Faith asked in her ear in confusion.

“I don’t know. I’m getting worried” Willow responded honestly.

They got themselves ready and signalled to the soundman to turn down the background music.
“HEY! WE’RE 5 BY 5! YA’LL FUCKERS READY TO FUCKIN’ DANCE?!” Faith yelled down the microphone to the enthusiastic audience and Willow immediately kicked into the first beat.

The set went past in a haze, Willow just lost in the element as she usually is during shows while Tara watched in absolute fascination. The band were amazing, which she wasn’t surprised about, but the strength and focus Willow demonstrated while she played was wreaking havoc on her already drunk fuelled libido. As the set wore on, Willow had started to sweat and Tara’s mind ran away from her.

Towards the end of the last song, Faith noticed Tara dancing towards the front, slightly stumbling, and Amy standing nearby watching Tara with a dark amusement in her eyes.

They wrapped up their set, thanking everyone and heading for the merch table to hopefully sell enough tees to cover gas.

“You go ahead Willow, I wanna check somethin’” Faith said before disappearing into the crowd.

She spotted Amy and took her by the arm, dragging her further away from Willow and Tara.

“Hey what are you - “ Amy started to yell.

“What the hell did you say to Tara?” Faith demanded, working out quickly what might have happened but wanting to confirm.

“Mousy girl? I’m just having a little fun, relax - pointed out Willow's hot and she's got her work cut out for her, that's all” Amy rolled her eyes.

“Willow finally found someone she likes and you’re fuckin’ with it? Damn, you’re one sad jealous bitch aren’tcha?” Faith shook her head in disgust while she let go of Amy’s arm and stormed off.

When Faith returned, Willow was selling merch while the boys were taking equipment out to load the van. Tara was sat to the side of Willow, seemingly a little lost.

Faith grabbed a bottle of water from her stuff and handed it to Tara, before standing next to Willow and whispering in her ear.

“I think Amy said somethin’ to Tara to make her drink so much. Not sure what but, I don’t think this is just ‘who she is’ you know? I don’t know if we should take her back home like this.” she nodded towards Tara’s slightly swaying form.

Willow sighed “She has work in the morning” thinking about how poorly this evening seemed to have gone.

“Then we’ll take care of her, make an excuse to mommy dearest, and wake her up early enough for you to drop her home to get changed in the morning”.

With Faith handling the thinking for her, Willow agreed, still feeling very unsure about the evening in general. She looked up to sell another shirt and caught the sight of Amy towards the back of the bar, poorly attempting to look seductive with the straw in her drink. Willow shivered in horror.

The band packed up and jumped back in the van with Tara in the middle between Willow and Faith in the backseats.

Tara started to fall asleep on Willow’s shoulder, and Willow looked down at the girl in confusion and care.

END OF CHAPTER 4

Post subject: Re: With The Girl At The Rock Show [Updated 13/05/23]
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey! You are writing and posting again! Yay! (also, you can ask for a beta always- if I can, I will :)

Nice to see the girls so smitten but Tara worries me a bit here- Amy obviously hit her hard- but Tara definitely overdid it.

Willow is the caring type though, so know all will be good.