The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Magical Chronicles - Something Blue (Behind the scenes)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:11 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 3
Something Blue (Short behind the scenes intro to the chronicles)

Author name – CopperAndGold
Rating – PG
Feedback – Yes, please!
Summary – This fic is set in the same world, with the same character development in both Willow and Tara from my main fic "When Erryn found herself". These chronicles will attempt to cover the development of their relationship throughout season 4, up until the beginning of 'When Erynn found herself'. Hope you enjoy this short intro! More to come soon.

November 29th, 1999 – Sunnydale, California

It was so… obviously there and people would just walk right past it. Sometimes, some would even enter and no one seemed to notice or care. It still amazed her. These folks couldn’t claim innocence either; it was written plain as day on the shop’s sign: ‘The Magic Box’.

Her brow furrowed, chewing on a cashew as her head tilted to the side in thought. Might be a euphemism... Her brain joked before quickly chastising herself for her lurid thoughts.

This wasn’t her first attempt. She’d tried talking herself into coming before Samhain. Had stood right exactly here. Nibbling on snacks and watching from across the street like a dork. The store being so busy at Halloween should’ve been a no-brainer, really. But, end result remained: She’d chickened out. At least this time it wasn’t so busy. A quick glance at her trusty Doc Martens made the corner of her lips rise slightly. Last time gave her swollen feet. Better shoes this time…

Shoes should be the least of your worries, girl.

Her bleached locks fell further forward, framing her face as she lowered her eyes in shame – her father’s voice had a way of being all-encompassing and intrusively physical. Center-skull, boom box clear: ‘Thou shalt NOT, or else.’ A zap of kinetic memories making her nerves jump and her heart skip and thump; skin shot through with numbing tingles tightening. Squeezing her consciousness as if through a tube of toothpaste. Vision tunneling, she gasped out loud.

Her gasping, making a sound, snapped her back to herself. Feeling strangers’ scrutinizing gazes, staring and confused as they walked passed.

‘What’s wrong?’ Their eyes conveyed worry but, she knew their derision. She was the cause of a moment of abnormality in their otherwise uneventful and peaceful day. Now they had to interrupt what they were doing, didn’t they? They had to ‘care’, didn’t they? About her. No one should have to care…

Heat flushed her cheeks, offended by her own mind. Futile anger. I left. She thought to herself. He’s not here. The young woman closed her eyes, trying to calm herself. Deep breath, you’re not there anymore. She opened her clear blue eyes again, focusing on the magic store across the street. Things were obviously different here. Maybe she was, too?

“Are you alright?” A disheveled, elderly lady asked politely.

The unexpected encounter obviously startled the young blonde, “Wh-wh,” She stammered and blinked furiously, trying to focus, “Huh? Yes. Yes I’m f-fine.” Those clear blues twinkled, rolled up in a way the woman could only find adorable “Lost in my thoughts.” The girl snickered self-deprecatingly.

Once she’d had a good look at the older woman, it was hard to ignore her state of dress or how filthy she looked. She seemed nice, but in a way that made you wonder why you were so confident in that fact. “You were looking to go to that store?” The lady pointed across the street, “My name is Lucile, by the way.”

The girl nodded ever so slightly, “Tara,” Crossing her arms over her chest, she cleared her throat, “Um… I’ve heh-heard bad things.” Her arms squeezed for comfort as she continued, “I sh-shouldn’t do magic.”

“Hm,” Lucile intoned skeptically, “I know the owner well.” She smiled warmly, showing pearly white teeth in complete contrast with her face, a beacon of hope, “Mr. Bogarty, he’s a very good man.” The woman chuckled lightly, “He wouldn’t lead you astray. He’s a ‘walk-the-line’ type.” She winked conspiratorially.

Although Tara didn’t quite understand what she’d meant, Lucile did seem to know. “I ju-just wanted to… my mom, she was a witch before.” She clenched her jaw, fighting tears back, “I need her, but she’s gone and…” Why am I telling her…? “Anyway, um…” She cleared her throat and pointed across the street, “Mr. Bogarty you said?”

Lucile, seemingly unfazed by the confession merely nodded and grinned, “That’s right, dear.”

After thanking Lucile and crossing the street, Tara couldn’t help but feel she’d just crossed paths with someone some might fear. She shook off the odd feeling before taking a breath, and opening the door to the Magic Box.

You have to go through the pain. The thought ran through Willow’s head over and over again, Go through it… The tone of her inner monologue had become more resentful with the passing hours. What kind of friend wants you to go through pain?

It was late. More like, early morning. Her best friend slept soundly in her own bed, while the redhead laid awake, full of pain and resentment. Buffy knew about pain, of course. Had been through lots of it already so, she must know something about it, right?

Well, she’s not me. Willow thought indignantly. I’m a witch, I do magic. She resigned herself, I can will this away, I know I can. Oz left and wasn’t coming back. It was final, so why on earth should she still be hurting? It just wasn’t fair.

It was 3:30 AM when she decided on a spell to cast. Come tomorrow, she’d be over Oz’ leaving for sure.

Then life could be normal again.

It hadn’t worked. Tara laid in bed, reprimanding herself. Mr. Bogarty had told her that it was important to do the ritual with a clear mind and heart. She’d so desperately wanted to talk with her mother, but she also knew the anger that was there. Why didn’t you leave, mom? Why didn’t you and I move here… we would have fit in…

And there was the rub, wasn’t it. Tara didn’t fit in anywhere it seemed. Only with her mother had she felt at home, in some way at least. A common bond that made facing the world a lot easier. And now, here… in this place, Tara was alone. With her inner demons.

Why didn’t you move us here, mom?

The sun would be up in a couple hours, and she was exhausted. But the question remained as she drifted to sleep.

The next day was mostly uneventful for Tara. She’d made it through almost unnoticed, until a professor had had the great idea of pairing up students for an exercise. People were good at not reacting to her stutter, most times. But, years of being attentive to facial expressions made it so little tells were as obvious to her as a neon sign. Impatience, irritation – easily discernable and so, made her stutter all the worst.

Long story short, it sucked.

Now in the lounge she decided to look around a bit. Different clubs were forming on campus, table top gaming groups, activism groups… The flyers and advertisement for them were littered all over. Tara leaned in closer to a board with different posters, not really thinking she’d be willing to join any group anyway. She was still curious, though. If she were less… Lesbian alliance? Her eyes goggled, she took a step back.

When she came to Sunnydale Tara had decided to be herself, no matter what. That included not being in the ‘closet’ as it were. She didn’t hide her sexual orientation… but she didn’t exactly flaunt it, either. If asked, she’d be honest. Would she join a group though? A group about being a lesbian?

Her cheeks reddened the more she thought about it. It was a sure way to be noticed, meet other likeminded girls… maybe get hit on. Tara gulped, being noticed wasn’t so much what she was going for. Nonetheless, she did take a flyer. Just… you know, in case she changed her mind later.

Chess club? She grimaced at the plain looking flyer. A pink and yellow one peeked from under it. Tara lifted the chess club flyer to reveal the colorful one beneath. A Wicca group!? Her mind cheered. Other witches? You’ve got to be kidding!

For the first time in her life, Tara Maclay felt the urge to be part of a social group. Now, for the courage to sign up. She thought ruefully on her way back to her dorm, both flyer neatly tucked in her bag.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies was still clinging to her nostrils. Willow was now home, duly contrite and remorseful for her ‘will be done’ spell. Of course she hadn’t meant for it to go how it did. Blinding poor Giles, and Buffy with the Spike kissing. She grimaced, Willow had only wanted to stop hurting.

Then that D’Hoffryn guy nearly made her poop her pants. No thank you!

One thing was for sure, this only served to make her understand the whole ‘go through the pain’ thing. Doing anything but seemed to only make things worse. Instead of wallowing or avoiding, she should just accept it for the time it’s there. Maybe new interests or hobbies, new friends? Something else than moping… Maybe a computer club or something.

She’d check the lounge for some inspiration tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Magical Chronicles - Something Blue (Behind the scenes)
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:35 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 4
:bounce yay!!! A new CandG story!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:23 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Definitely liking; I've done some backstory stuff myself and I always enjoy seeing someone else's take on it. [Sometimes I make it into headcanon history behind my own stories -f or example Tara's mother's name in my 'verse I got from the sadly moving and sadly unfinished "Broken Dolls"-, and this definitely seems like one of those so far.:-)] I can totally see these two playing through similar scenes. (Maybe I won't exactly be able to "steeal" this; in my 'verse Tara isn't a gay virgin when she meets Willow, which she so often is here at Pens.) The characterization matches well with what I got from the show.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am 
3. Flaming O

I'm thrilled to read your "Behind the Scenes"-version of seasons 4 (and 5 until the Family-episode?) because of your brilliant way to give us an insight into Tara's and Willow's thoughts and emotions.

This part made a special impact on me:

Quote:
Shoes should be the least of your worries, girl.

Her bleached locks fell further forward, framing her face as she lowered her eyes in shame – her father’s voice had a way of being all-encompassing and intrusively physical. Center-skull, boom box clear: ‘Thou shalt NOT, or else.’ A zap of kinetic memories making her nerves jump and her heart skip and thump; skin shot through with numbing tingles tightening. Squeezing her consciousness as if through a tube of toothpaste. Vision tunneling, she gasped out loud.

Her gasping, making a sound, snapped her back to herself. Feeling strangers’ scrutinizing gazes, staring and confused as they walked passed.

‘What’s wrong?’ Their eyes conveyed worry but, she knew their derision. She was the cause of a moment of abnormality in their otherwise uneventful and peaceful day. Now they had to interrupt what they were doing, didn’t they? They had to ‘care’, didn’t they? About her. No one should have to care…

Heat flushed her cheeks, offended by her own mind. Futile anger. I left. She thought to herself. He’s not here. The young woman closed her eyes, trying to calm herself. Deep breath, you’re not there anymore. She opened her clear blue eyes again, focusing on the magic store across the street. Things were obviously different here. Maybe she was, too?

I really wished I could reach into your story and hug Tara and tell her "Hold on, you'll meet your soulmate in a few days!"

Now I'm looking forward to reading Tara's experience of that fateful wikka-group-meeting where she first meets Willow. I always imagined it was love at first sight for her, I'm curious if you'll write it that way.