The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Database
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:16 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Topics: 2
Title: The Database
Author: YellowQuirkyTeacup
Spoilers: None.
Setting: AU. There is no Hellmouth, or any magic involved (except the magic of love, heh heh.)
Rating: PG-13, maybe. I'll let everyone know if that changes.
Disclaimer: Willow, Tara, Faith, Buffy, Anya, Miss Kitty and any other characters I decide to include, along with miscellaneous quotes, belong to Mutant Enemy. I am not making any profit from this enterprise. No copyright infringements are intended or made with prior knowledge. Everything else is original material and I beg you not to steal it for your own gain without asking me first.

Chapter 1

Janna popped open the top of the red rust-bucket, peering inside. She gave a low whistle and turned to face the owner of the car, who stared right back at her with an anxious face.
“Looks like we have a problem,” Janna remarked.

“We certainly do,” Tara muttered, glaring at the screen of her silver laptop, which everyone told her was out of date, but she couldn’t be bothered to replace. Tara always said that, in her line of work anyway, it didn’t matter how old the technology was, so long as it worked. It was the content of the files she saved that counted far more than how efficient the files themselves were.
And right now, she thought, pouting, the content of the files wasn’t good at all!
“Face it,” Tara told herself, “you just can’t finish writing this story until you know more about cars.”
And that was exactly the problem. Tara Maclay was easy on the eyes if she did say so herself, great with kids- although her only baby was her cat, Miss Kitty Fantastico- she was an inventive cook, and she had just begun to make a name for herself writing short fiction for gay magazines. But, she had to admit, there wasn’t much she knew about automobiles except how to drive one, and her mind was a bit foggy on what all the little fiddly bits were labelled even then.
Being a big girl, Tara had long ago recognised this fault in herself, and read a whole lot of information about cars on the Internet, and in books at the Sunnydale Library. She had hung around surreptitiously when people had begun complaining to anyone who would listen about their punctured tires and stiff gearsticks. She had even gone to a car race, which was an experience never to be repeated.
Leaving Janna and her mysterious customer, Tara got up from her chair, wincing as her creaky muscles announced their annoyance at sitting in the same place for several hours. Padding down the hallway to the kitchen, Tara poured herself a glass of water from the blue jug next to the sink and leant against the cupboards. Sipping her water slowly, she peered out over her tiny garden, watching a couple of small birds hopping about foraging for food. Hoping they wouldn’t meet an unhappy end at the paws of Miss Kitty, Tara finished the water and aimlessly wandered around the apartment. She felt restless and pinched, as though her skin was too small.
The apartment where Tara lived, she and another girl named Georgia who was often out, was a 3-bedroom place with a small kitchen and bathroom. The girls got a bedroom each, both not big enough to swing a cat in- not that Tara had tried- and the extra room was used as a storage space by Georgia and a kind of office by Tara. Georgia usually came home in the wee hours of the morning drunk with an equally inebriated one-night stand, all hulking and hairy and likely to leer at Tara on their way out the next day. Not the best deal in the world, to a girl who liked her peace and quiet, but it was a thousand times better than living at home, it was cheap and it was one of the few places that let her keep a pet. So, Tara stayed.
When Georgia came home with a boyfriend, or put loud music on, Tara wore earplugs. When Georgia ate the food in the fridge with ‘TARA’ in neat letters on the Tupperware, Tara simply ignored her. When Georgia made snide comments about Tara’s non-existent love life, Tara shrugged. And when Georgia threatened to throw her out of the house, Tara came home with Faith, her best friend, who just happened to be scary as hell when you got on her bad side.
“Why do you stay there, T?” was one of Faith’s most frequent queries, along with “When you gonna get yourself a nice girl, T?” and “T, would you hate me if I killed your cat?”
And Tara would try to remember all the nice things about the apartment, so that she could be telling the truth when she replied, “I like it there.”
Because sometimes, Tara did. She liked how the washing machine would whir soothingly as it soaped the clothes. She liked watching the busy street from her bedroom window, when the rest of the world was going to work. She liked that it was only a ten-minute walk from the apartment to the restaurant where she worked 6 nights a week. She liked in the middle of the day when she was typing away, working on a new story, and she liked pottering around in the evening making dinner for herself with Miss Kitty purring and twisting around her ankles. But most of all, Tara liked that it wasn’t home, the home she’d grown up in, where her father used to hit her if dinner wasn’t made by the time he got home from the pub.
Flopping down on her bed, Tara stared at the fine cracks spreading out across the ceiling like a dark spiderweb. When she’d moved out, she’d been sure that she would find a cute girl who she would fall in love with at first sight, and vice versa. Badda-bing, fairytale! But after two years, she only had a trailing string of failed relationships to show for it, and the only non-straight girl in her life right now was Janna.
Well, Tara thought amusedly, you couldn’t call Faith completely ‘straight’, per se. Faith is… Faith. She flirts with anything that has a pulse. But she’s like my sister. Running her fingers over her faded duvet cover, Tara blew out her breath contemplatively. And really, not my type.
Tara jumped as her mobile phone began to ring insistently. Rolling onto her side, she grabbed the phone and smiled as she glimpsed the caller ID.
“Speaking of the devil… well, thinking anyway,” she murmured, putting the phone to her ear. “What’s up?”
“Hey, T,” Faith’s confident voice sounded slightly scratchy through the connection. “How’s the story?”
“Um… it’s okay,” Tara stalled, not wanting to admit that she was still stuck in the exact same place she had been 2 days ago.
“Yeah, that’s what I figured. Listen, there’s this great band playing at the Bronze tonight and I am officially ordering you as your Fun Coach to be there. Whaddaya say?”
“I don’t know, Faith,” Tara mumbled. “This is the only day I have off work, and I was kinda going for a quiet night in.”
“You mean a boring night in,” Faith corrected her, then continued, “Anyway, if you wanted quiet you shouldn’t have moved in with the G-Monster. I am not taking no for an answer, T. You know I will literally drag you kicking and screaming from your house.”
Tara winced, knowing full well that Faith would make good on her promise if necessary. She sighed exaggeratedly, then said, “Let me check my schedule, Miss Lehane. Oh hey, look, I think I’m free tonight!”
“Wicked! I’ll see you at 9 on the dot, and don’t be late, madam!” Faith laughed, and hung up.
“Yeah… wicked,” Tara echoed, listlessly throwing the phone down onto her bed. She was feeling down about her story and didn’t really want to spend the night partying at the Bronze, trying to be cheerful with Faith.
On the other hand, Tara thought, attempting to look on the bright side, maybe this is just what I need. Loosen up, get the ol’ creative juices flowing.
Now, what shall I wear?

At 9 o’clock sharp, as promised, Tara stood at the entrance to the Bronze, nervously picking at her skirt. After at least 15 minutes of trying on various mix-and-match outfits from her meagre wardrobe, she had eventually gone with a long, flowing earthy-coloured skirt, an emerald top with flared sleeves, and a beige jacket. Not exactly vixen material, she sighed ruefully, but it’s the best I can do. Squaring her shoulders, Tara walked inside. Ridiculously, even though she knew Faith was waiting for her, going in alone made her feel horribly friendless, or perhaps as though she had been stood up on a date. You’re being stupid, Tara chided herself. You’re gonna have fun tonight, and that’s an order.
Tara made her way over to the bar, gingerly threading past dancing couples and tables that were obviously trying to trip her up. She knew that this was where Faith would be, and if she wasn’t here yet, Tara would be easily visible to Faith when she arrived. Tara craned her neck, trying to spot her friend in the crowd.
The lights of the Bronze were a dim yellow, except for a bright white spotlight which illuminated the band on stage. The band, which appeared to be called ‘Dingoes Ate My Baby’, judging by the poster and the painted sign on the drum kit, were playing a melodic rock song that was, in Tara’s opinion, rather catchy. She smiled.
A hand clamped down on her shoulder and she spun around in alarm, then relaxed when she saw the grinning face of her best friend.
“Faith!” Tara yelled indignantly, punching the other girl on the shoulder. “You scared the life out of me!”
“I live and breathe to scare you, T,” Faith replied, grinning widely as she wiggled her butt along to the music. As usual, that butt was clad in black leather pants, which were accompanied by a tight black singlet and a black leather jacket. Her long dark hair was out and flowing over her shoulders.
“I’m sensing a colour theme here, Faith,” Tara teased her.
“Shut up,” Faith smirked good-naturedly. “Damn, I need a drink.”
Sauntering over to the bar, she ordered a shot of vodka from the bartender, knocking it back quickly and pursing her kiss-me red lip-sticked lips at the taste.
“How you can swallow that stuff is beyond me,” Tara commented, perching on one of the long-legged stools around the bar.
“That’s cause you’re too straight-laced,” Faith said decidedly, signalling the bartender for another shot. “You gotta learn to live a little, T.”
“Would you rather ‘live a little’ or live past the age of forty?” Tara countered.
“Ooh, good one.”
“You know it…” Tara trailed off as she heard the words ‘giant squid’ faintly underneath the pulsing beat of the new song the band were playing. “Hey, did you just hear someone say ‘giant squid’?”
“Nope, but I do hear the dance floor calling my name. It’s saying, ‘Faith, Faith, come dance on us with your sexy boots. And bring Tara as well. She’s far too uptight- Hey, are you even listening to me?”
The out-of-place phrase had piqued Tara’s curiosity, and she turned, trying to locate where it had come from. Her eyes fell on a petite blonde woman who, Tara realised with amusement, was attempting to catch the attention of passers-by without much success.
“Hey, you there, I bet you have some stuff that you… need to know… about…” The woman sighed. “Come on, guys, you must need to know something. You can’t all be brainiacs!” Tara watched with amusement as the woman turned to another woman with curly blonde hair standing next to her. “Anya, they’re not listening to me!”
“That’s because you’re doing it all wrong!” the curly-haired woman, Anya, explained patiently. “Honestly, Buffy, you are useless at sales pitches! Watch this.”
Handing Buffy her drink, Anya hopped up on a table and cleared her throat. “People of Sunnydale,” she announced, “here you all are, buying alcoholic beverages and getting drunk so that you don’t have to think about how miserable your lives are! Well, you’re all ignorant, and that stops now!” The smaller woman, Buffy, watched with open-mouthed amazement as people stopped what they were doing and listened to Anya’s speech. “My friend, who unfortunately couldn’t be here tonight,” Anya continued, “has designed an innovative new website in order to cure you all of your ignorance! If you want to know something, you can guarantee this amazing website will give you the answer. Oh, and,” Anya looked disgusted, as though she was trying to swallow something foul, “cause my friend is insane, the website won’t cost you any money. However,” she brightened, “if you are in the mood to spend some cash, come to my extremely expensive sex counselling company-” Anya broke off as Buffy elbowed her, then reluctantly continued, “if you want to use the know-it-all website, grab one of these pieces of paper and we’ll write down the URL for you. If you are a highly attractive single man who is good in bed, you can also have my phone number-” Anya was cut off again as Buffy dragged her down from the table, one hand firmly clamped over the talkative woman’s mouth.
Tara giggled. I wonder if she talks like that all the time. I pity her boyfriend. She jumped as the woman in question tapped her on the shoulder.
“Hey,” Anya chirped brightly. “You look like someone who needs to know something. Have a piece of paper.”
Faith knocked the paper out of her hand. “She’s not interested, lady. Quit harassing my friend or I’ll-”
“N-no, Faith, it’s okay,” Tara reassured her friend. She turned to Anya, “W-would this w-w-website tell me about c-c-c-” Tara blushed furiously, trying to get the words out. Her nervous stutter was one of the many things that she hated about herself. Unfortunately, the more frustrated she got, the more she stuttered. She wet her lips and tried again, “C-c-c-”
“Canaries? Croutons? Crepes?” Anya guessed. “Ooh, ooh, I know, is it condoms?”
Tara blushed even redder, if such a thing was possible. “C-cars!” she yelled.
“Yeah, quite right, I don’t know what I was thinking. Condoms… why would I say that, I mean look at you, you’re clearly gay!”
Anya leant over the bar to scribble down the website URL onto the paper with a chewed-on blue pen. “You know,” she mused, peering at Tara, “that speech problem could be the product of long-repressed sexual urges. Would you like me to write down the number of my sex therapy company, too?”
Faith’s face was positively murderous; she looked ready to leap on Anya. Luckily, Buffy materialized in front of them as if out of nowhere and grabbed the other woman’s arm.
“Anya, leave the poor ladies alone,” she scolded. Catching sight of Faith’s expression, she mumbled, “I think we’re done here.”
Tara could hear Buffy whispering heatedly as the two women walked away, “Anya, you can’t just go up to people and lecture them about their sex lives…”
Tara and Faith looked at the crumpled piece of paper sitting on the bar. Faith went to sweep it onto the floor, but Tara shot out her hand and scooped it up.
“What are you doing, T?” Faith exclaimed. “That’s gotta be a load of rubbish!”
“I don’t know,” Tara murmured, putting the paper into the pocket of her jacket. “Something tells me this could be exactly what I need.”

"Alternate universes don't stay put. Trying to send him to a specific place is sort of like ... like ... trying to hit a ... puppy, by throwing a live bee at it. Which is a weird image, and you should all just forget it."
-Willow

Post subject: Re: The Database
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:38 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

This chapter is cute and fun. You are off to a good start. Look forward to reading future chapters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Interesting! More please?
(and bring some Willow on top of that update, pretty please? :grin )

C.Baudelaire in Les Fleurs du Mal, XVIII L'Idéal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 22
I like the fun start you've given this story especially Anya's character. Looking forward to reading more especially Willow and Tara meeting :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Ah, yes, the far-famed "something tells me" hunch. I think you're right, Tara.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 am 
3. Flaming O

Okay. I'm curious to read more. :)

Young and Gorgeous -
now I'm just
'and'.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 am 
2. Floating Rose

Chapter 2

Tara wasn’t sure at first what had woken her. She half-remembered a crash, and a male voice saying, “Fuck!”
She rolled over in the dark, pulling the duvet up close to her chest, and heard her housemate squeal, “Oh, are you okay, baby?”
“Yeah, I’m cool. Just stubbed my toe,” the man grunted.
Then there was a low creaking as the two walked over the wooden floorboards, presumably towards Georgia’s bedroom. Soon enough, there was a different kind of creaking, loud enough so that Tara couldn’t block it out even if she tried.
Tara thumped the pillow in frustration. She peered at the glowing numbers on the digital clock which presided front and centre on the bedside table. 3:48; what kind of a time was that to come home? As the creaking became louder, now occasionally punctuated with soft moans, Tara accepted that she was not going back to sleep and slipped out of bed. She liked to sleep with an open window and, as the cold air hit her bare legs, Tara remembered that she was only wearing an oversized t-shirt proclaiming ‘I ♥ NY’. Feeling for her wardrobe in the gloom, her fingers closed around a pair of comfy sweats. Tara pulled them on and made her way over to her laptop. Maybe her writer’s block had dissipated. Booting up the computer, Tara gave a small smile at the sight of her screensaver- a picture of Miss Kitty cleaning her ears. That cat just kept on getting more adorable. The document containing her latest story was still open from the last time she had used the laptop. Tara clicked on it and quickly read over the last sentence.

“Looks like we have a problem,” Janna remarked. Tara stared at the short line of text. Come on, girl, you’re supposed to be a writer.Tentatively, Tara began to type:

Her pretty customer chewed her lip nervously. “What kind? Is it an expensive problem?”
Janna ran her hand through her hair before she remembered that her fingers were covered in grease. Whoops. Ah well. The good thing about hair was that it could always be cleaned.

The good thing about hair was that it could always be cleaned? No duh, Tara. Running a hand through her own hair, Tara groaned quietly in frustration. Lately her stories were going nowhere, and something that that Anya woman had said last night at the Bronze gave her an inkling of exactly why. For all that she was embarrassing, the curly-haired woman had reminded Tara had it was a long, long time since she’d been in a relationship. It seemed like forever since she’d been kissed, let alone had sex.
Lately her characters had been lacking life, or not life exactly, something else… Tara was forgetting what it was like to notice every little thing a person did and be fascinated by it. She should have not only described that Janna ran her hand through her hair, but the unique way that she did it; perhaps with a little flick of the wrist, a rotation of the arm to compensate for a past injury playing soccer when she was a kid… Tara should have known these things, but she just didn’t anymore. She was forgetting what it was like to fall in love.
Well, there’s nothing I can do about that, Tara thought decidedly. I can find out about cars, but I will not, I cannot fall in love until I’m ready. Until the right person comes along.
Leaving the last line as it was, Tara continued. She leant back in her chair and tried to imagine her two characters in her mind’s eye: Janna and the nameless customer. She was pretty sure that Janna was tall and tanned with long black hair, but hadn’t been able to think much past that. Now, Tara forced herself to. And what about the customer? She didn’t have a name, a job, a hair colour, all anyone really knew about her at this point was that she owned a crappy red car.

The girl tucked her short brown hair behind her ears. She wasn’t beautiful by any means, wasn’t the kind of lady who would turn heads because of her looks. But to Janna at least, there was something about her that merited a second glance. Maybe it was the way she looked around her, as though she was afraid someone would leap out at her any minute. Maybe it was the way she clearly didn’t know her way around cars, but had this rusty old thing that must be a nightmare to repair when it broke down. And judging by the looks of it, it broke down frequently.
“How long have you had this car?” Janna asked over her shoulder.
“Not long. Couple of months, maybe? My dad gave it to me, said it was a piece of crap but I didn’t have to pay for it,” the girl explained. She stuck out her hand for Janna to shake. “I’m Mia, by the way.”
Janna turned to shake the Mia’s hand and then realized her dilemma. Her hands were covered with grease. She didn’t want to be awkward and point this out, but she couldn’t just ignore Mia’s outstretched hand. It would be rude.
Janna looked up and met Mia’s eyes. To her surprise, she noticed the brown-haired girl’s eyes flicker to her hands. Mia must have realized the problem too.
Still unsure of what to do, Janna began to step away, then froze when she felt a warm hand grasp her own.
“It’s nice to meet you…”
“Um, Janna,” Janna stumbled.
Mia smiled. Her light blue eyes were as warm as her hands.

Tara jolted awake, disorientated. Sunlight was streaming in through her window and she had a crick in her neck. Her computer screen was black. Tara wiggled the mouse for a bit and the screen came to life. She stared at the last words in the document.
Her light blue eyes were as warm as her hands.
So she had gotten somewhere last night. In fact…Tara scrolled back up the screen… it looked like she had gotten quite a bit of the way through somewhere. Smiling to herself as she shut down the computer, Tara stumbled out of her bedroom and felt something warm brush against her leg.
“Mew!”
“Hey, Miss Kitty! What’ve you been up to? Scare any scary things away from the house?”
The small black and white cat purred as Tara scooped her up into her arms.
“Whee! Neeow, here comes the aeroplane!” Tara giggled as she whirled a very confused Miss Kitty Fantastico around in the air. “Okay, okay, I’ll put you down, and we can go find some breakfast. Sound good?”
The most important meal of the day out of the way, Tara sat back down at her laptop. Hopefully she could finish her story today.
But last night’s inspiration appeared to be gone and after an hour the only thing Tara had achieved was 3 won games of Solitaire. When she caught herself staring out of the window, counting the number of blue cars that passed her bedroom, Tara grudgingly admitted that she was getting nowhere, and nothing constructive was going to be forced out of her frustrated brain. She knew from experience that sometimes, when writing, the best thing to do was to just wait for inspiration to amble along. Unfortunately, waiting didn’t pay the bills.
I can wait for inspiration to come to me, Tara reasoned, or I can go out and find it. Carpe diem. Shutting her laptop lid abruptly, she quickly changed from her tracksuit ‘slump’ pants, as Faith so condescendingly called them, to a pair of running shorts. She jammed on her trainers and headed out, pulling her long hair up into a rough ponytail. Jogging had always helped her think. Being out amongst people and observing how they moved, how they spoke, how they thought, was always stimulating as far as creative processes went, and the physical exertion cleared her busy head.
For those who worked in 9-5 office jobs, it was lunch time, and there were many other people running (in varying states of fitness) along Tara’s route, past the corner shop and left to the expanse of grassy land that was much too large to be a park, but was called one anyway. It was hot and steep, and Tara’s calves soon began to burn, her face and neck beaded with sweat. She considered stopping for a rest until she heard wheezy breathing behind her, and a plump middle-aged woman staggered past, her cheeks tomato red, her expression grim. Somehow the sight encouraged Tara, and she picked up her pace again.
Finally Tara stopped, knowing that if she kept on for much longer she’d be paying for it the next day. Slowing to a walk, she breathed deeply and put her hands behind her head. Sweat was drying stickily on her shoulders and back, leaving her shirt clammy and wet. Her mouth was dry and Tara inwardly cursed herself for leaving the house without a bottle of water or a purse to purchase one. At least I had the sense to run in a circle, she thought ruefully. She was less than five minutes’ walk from the apartment. Encouraged by the thought of a refreshing drink and possibly a refreshing shower, Tara hurried down the street through the crowd realising they were late getting back to work. She slowed at the stone steps, weathered and cracked, at the entrance to her home, bouncing on each one to work out the ache in her calves.
As she pushed open the door, Tara heard the tinny sound of ‘Cheap and Cheerful’, by The Kills emanating from her bedroom. My phone! She raced down the hall, skidding on the wooden floorboards, and made a dive for the old black Nokia singing in her jacket pocket. Tara banged her knee on the edge of her bed and winced in pain.‘-I want you to be crazy 'coz you're stupid baby when you're sane’, it burbled, before Tara grabbed the mobile phone and jabbed at the green button.
“H-hello?” she panted, trying to calm herself down. Her stutter was always worse when she was out of breath.
“Hi, is this Macy?” an unfamiliar voice inquired. “Uh, Macy Browning?”
“Um, n-no,” Tara puffed. “I think y-you’ve got a wrong n-number.”
“Oh, sorry,” said the voice, and hung up.
Groaning, Tara slumped onto her bed. Stupid phone, making me trip for no reason. She dropped the offending machine back into her pocket and frowned when she felt something crinkle against her fingers. Pulling it out, she saw the crumpled piece of paper that Anya had written on last night. She strained to make out the scribbly blue handwriting.
https://www.anyask@redtree.com
“Might as well give it a try,” Tara murmured aloud, and carefully typed the URL into her browser. She found herself holding her breath. She had the feeling that something amazing was about to happen.
Don’t be stupid, she told herself firmly. It’s just a website, and not even one with the word ‘fanfiction’ or ‘dating’ in front of it. What could possibly happen?

"Alternate universes don't stay put. Trying to send him to a specific place is sort of like ... like ... trying to hit a ... puppy, by throwing a live bee at it. Which is a weird image, and you should all just forget it."
-Willow

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:08 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hey people, thank you for all your lovely comments. They most certainly prompted me to get off my arse and finish Chapter 2 instead of doing my important schoolwork. :sigh
Later chapters will definitely be told from Willow's point, but at the moment I'm having a Tara affinity- the story is telling itself from her perspective. Which is weird, because I am usually infinitely more of a Willow thinker. But anyhoo.

Looking at my post, I feel like I have to point out that the format is crappy. It has a lot of things in it that I hate in other people's writing, e.g. inconsistent italics. I am not usually like this. My Word Document with this story in it is OCD neat. However, all computers hate me :crash :crash :crash and this one in particular did NOT want to let me edit. Grr.

"And I don't usually say so many words for stuff so little, but do you get it all?"

(I'm quoting from memory, okay, don't judge if a couple of words are out of place!)

-Willow

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:31 am 
3. Flaming O

Still curious. Go on! :)

Young and Gorgeous -
now I'm just
'and'.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:51 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 15