The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Fic (Updated 4/27/2014) - Welcome Home
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:35 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Topics: 2
Title of the story: Welcome Home
• Author name : The Cursed And The Gifted
• Distribution: No one else yet, but if you are interested in being a beta, message me.
• Spoilers: Totally AU so no Spoilers.
• Rating: PG 13 for now but that will probably change.
• Pairing: W/T obviously. B/F, A/X and eventually G/J
• Disclaimer: I do not own BTVS
• Summary: It's been seven years since Tara Maclay left everything and everyone behind her. After realizing she made a mistake, she comes back to take what she abandoned back, including and most importantly her friendship with Willow Rosenberg. But they both have changed, they both have secrets. Willow has spent the last seven years avoiding her thoughts of Tara by working and looking after her god-daughter, but now there's no escaping her feelings. No hellmouth, no supernatural stuff, just Willow and Tara.

Notes
    Anya and Xander got married at the age of twenty before Tara left.
    Faith came to Sunnydale in the gangs graduating year of school. (but she didn't go to school, she dropped out before moving to town.)
    Tara started school a year late so she was in the same year as Willow.
    Tara didn't know her father and lived alone with her mother in Sunnydale.
    Willows parents are "not great people" and that's all your going to know for now.

"Auntie Will, I can't find Miss kitty." The five-year old called from the living room. She couldn't do anything without that stuffed cat, and the panic in her voice wasn't something anyone close to her could miss.

"Did you look on the table." I asked as I rounded the corner into the room. "You had it when you were eating your breakfast." It didn't go unnoticed the mess she had made looking for the stuffy.

She instantly raced off into the dinning room, causing me to let out a soft chuckle. "Found her!" She happily informed me.
"Good, munch-kin do you mind just fixing up your mess in here"

"Yes Auntie, I'm sorry" she apologized as she came back into the room giving me a soft hug around the legs.

I ruffled her shaggy long blond hair. "It's OK sweetie, I'm not mad." After another squeeze she started to place the pillows back into the couch from where they had been torn off. " I just have to run upstairs for a minute. Can you watch for aunt Faith?" I turned around at her little nod, hard at work, she didn't look away from her task.

Dani was the best thing that had happened to me in the last five years. I still think back to the moment Anya told us Xander and her were going to have a child. I had been so jealous that they were so happy, but that had passed when Xander asked me if I would be her Godmother.

I burst into tears when they told us her name. It had been a shock, to find out how Anya had insisted that her daughter share that with me. We had never been close, we were always fighting, but she just had trouble expressing herself properly and my temper made it difficult to move past that.

The Scooby gang, as we had called ourselves since high school, loved her dearly. There wasn't a member that would keep anything from her. She was a gentle, polite, smart and kind child that filled the hole our group had developed.

Sometimes it felt like Dani was all I had. Buffy had Faith, Xander had Anya and Giles had his roommate and surrogate daughter Dawn. She spent Saturday and Wednesday here every week and every other occasion she could convince her mom to let her out.

I grabbed the present for her off my desk and started down the stairs. There was a knock on the front door and Dani went to straight for the door. Normally she wouldn't be allowed too, but we were expecting Faith.

"You're the lady from the pictures!" I heard her excited little voice from call out to the visitor outside the door." I started to panic the moment I heard her, rushing down the stairs. Dropping the gift as I went.

"Dani, who's at the door?" I called out to her. Trying to see who it was as I reached the last few steps, but the door obscured my view.

"The lady Dawn says not to ask about." She said as I yanked the door open further.

My mouth went dry at the sight in front of me. seven years, it had been seven years but I could never forget the face belonging to the person standing on my porch. If there has been any air in my lungs, it had rushed away the moment my brain caught on to what was happening. 'I'll be back, I promise' her soft voice echoed from my memories.

"Hey" she greeted nervously, but there was no sign of her stutter. Her hand lifted to give a light wave.

I was speechless. She was even more beautiful than she had been all those years ago. She had stopped dying her hair, it was the warm brunet color it had been when we were in high school. Her blue eyes, were just as bright and magnificent as I remembered. She was wearing tight blue jeans with a black blouse.

I felt a tugging on my sleeve and I looked down to see a confused look on the child's face, "Auntie Will, what's wrong?"

I crouched down to he level to look her in the eyes, faking my best smile. "Nothing sweetheart, can you go get you stuff ready for Auntie Faith." She cautiously nodded, seeing straight through my falsehood. I ruffled her hair "Thank you". I stood and watched her race up the stairs, only turning back to my visitor when the child was out of sight.

"Is this a bad time?" She asked.

"Seven years ago would have been a better time." I fired back, not quite able to put much venom into the shot. I waited for her to answer but she didn't, she simply looked at her feet with her hair moving in front of her face. I wasn't sure if it was out of habit, or because she knew how the action bothered me. "Come in".

Her head lifted ad she looked at me for a moment before stepping through the door. She followed me into the living room without a word, settling down on the couch as I did the chair a few feet away. "I missed you." She said quietly, staring at me.

"I missed you too." I replied. "Why didn't you contact any of us? We had no idea if you were ok." I whispered my words.
"It was too hard, after mom died, I didn't want anyone around."

"You were my best friend." I said and watched as she closed her eyes at the statement.

"I know and I'm so sorry!" She apologized, opening her eyes at the sound of Dani coming down the stairs.
"Auntie, are you OK?" She asked lightly as she came into the room.

"I'm OK sweetheart, come here" she came over immediately at my request and settled into my lap.
"Who are you?" Dani questioned.

"I'm Tara Maclay and what's your name sweetie?" Tara asked with a bright smile. She had always loved kids.
"Dani Harris."

A tear fell down Tara's cheek and I watched as she moved a hand to cover her mouth. After composing herself for a moment, she asked "And how old are you?"

"Five years and 2 mouths!" The little girl answered proudly.

"That's really old!" The look in her eyes obviously calculating exactly when Anya had become pregnant.

"Yeah! I get to go to school! How old are you?"

"28, just a year older than your Daddy."

"Wow that's so cool! She's older than you auntie! Does that mean you get to tell auntie Will what to do?"

Tara let out a loud laugh, a sound that made my heart swell. “I have never met a person who could tell your auntie what to do!"

"Mommy can! When mommy tells her not to give me chocolate, she doesn't. Except when it's just the two of us! But that's a secret, so you have to swear not to tell anyone!" The little girl babbled causing Tara to laugh again.

"Where's my favourite niece?" I heard Faith call out from the front door, making Dani jump off my lap and race to the door.
"Faith! The key is for emergencies!" I grumbled just load enough that I knew she would hear me. I heard Dani giggled as she had inevitably received her special aunt Faith hug.

"Easy red, it was an emergency! I missed little tyke!" She said entering the living room with Dani sitting on her hip. "Holy sh-" she started but cut herself off when she remembered who she was holding. "Tara?"

Tara stood up and Gave Faith her cherished half-smile. "It's good to see you Faith." I watched as Faith quickly took the few steps to Tara, meeting her in a slight hug, as if not to disturb Dani.

"You have to tell me where you have been! I want all the details, what, where and especially who!" wiggling her eyebrows at Tara as Dani looked at her confused about what Faith meant by ‘Who’

"I will, but there's not much to tell and I have some stuff I need to take care of first," Her eyes drifted to meet mine.
"No problem, B is gonna flip when she hears that your here!"

"Another thing, can you wait to tell anyone, I want to talk to Willow first."

"Anything for someone as smoking hot as you!"

"Faith, I'm telling Auntie Buffy!" Dani threatened.

"Hey, hey kiddo, I was just joking" Faith stated the panic and set the little girl down. Only to see the evil smile on her face. "Oh, come here little tyke, that was so not funny"

The kid let out a giggle and started off in the other direction as faith chased after her.

"She's adorable" Tara whispered cheerfully.

"And she knows it" I added with a smile that I always had when discussing my niece.

"Reminds me of someone" Tara chuckled. Meeting my eyes as if to make sure I was aware she was being implicating me.

"Alright kiddo, go give red a big hug." I heard faith say as I tore my eyes from Tara's just as

the girl launched herself into my lap with a giggle causing me to let out a "humph". She wrapped her small arms around my neck and squeezed. Whispering "I love you" softly into my ear. I wrapped my arms securely around her and returned the sentiment.

After a moment we let go and she climbed off my lap and walked over to Tara giving her s small hug. "Bye Tara."

"Bye sweetie".

"T, you should join all of us for dinner tomorrow. I mean it's up to Red, but every ones comin and it would be a great time to surprise them."

"If it's OK, maybe, I don't want to impose."

"Your family, it's not imposing." Faith pressed. “And don’t worry, I’ll make sure the squirt here keeps quiet” she added, winking at Tara before she turned to Dani "Come on little tyke, bye Red, bye T."

Bye we echoed after them.

When the door slammed shut, everything in the house went silent. we simply stared at each other for what felt like days.

"I don't know where to start." She finally whispered.

"Are you hungry?" I asked

"Starving"

"Let's grab some dinner, you can start your saying whatever it is you came here to say, there."

After a moment she finally agreed, insisting we take her car.

I knew that when I walked back into this house I could be a completely different person. I had so much I wanted to share with her, there was so much I wanted to hear from her. I wasn't sure how the results would affect me, but the day had come when Tara Maclay had walked back into my life.
Did she plan to stay?

Last edited by thecursed&thegifted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: New Fic - Welcome Home
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:23 am 
5. Willowhand

Very interesting start! I like how Dani made everything a bit smoother with the reunion.

I look forward to more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:52 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
Nice start. The fact that this was so direct quote conversation heavy reminded me of Hemingway's Hills like white elephants which is an excellent example of driving an entire short story using almost exclusively dialogue. You have set up the characters and provided a lot of information to provide setting and context. I'll be curious to see what the various individuals have been doing for the past 7 years. What sort of work does Willow do, where did Tara go and what has she done with her life over seven years, what are Buffy, Faith, Anya, and Xander doing with their lives as well? I look forward to seeing how your story develops.
-H.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:32 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

• Distribution: No one else yet, but if you are interested in being a beta, message me.
• Summary: It's been seven years since Tara Maclay left everything and everyone behind her. After realizing she made a mistake, she comes back to take what she abandoned back, including and most importantly her friendship with Willow Rosenberg. But they both have changed, they both have secrets. Willow has spent the last seven years avoiding her thoughts of Tara by working and looking after her god-daughter, but now there's no escaping her feelings. No hellmouth, no supernatural stuff, just Willow and Tara.

Authors note
Thank you, fhiwda and loislane1 for your reviews I really appreciate the feedback!!

Chapter 2

The restaurant we decided on was nothing special, defiantly something you would find in Sunnydale. After all this was a small town. We didn't really talk during eating, choosing to go out to the espresso pump after word. We just had a quick conversation where we decided to wait for the others before getting into too much detail about her life the last few years, for now I just needed to know why she came back.

I watched Tara from across the table, staring away from me. It was a painful sight, the way she had grown, how I had missed so much of her life. She had chosen to leave, but it had never felt that way, it always felt like someone had torn her from me.

Tara Maclay, had been my best friend since Freshman year of highschool, we had been inseparable. Our friendship had really allowed us to come out of our shells. Buffy had always told me Tara was the best thing that had ever happened to me, but she hasn’t said that since Tara left all those years ago. Tara had always kept me grounded, helped me stand on my own two feet. She was the only person who loved all my quirks and never made me feel like I needed to change. She and her mom had given me a place to hide, they took me in when I needed them and her mom never asked why. I think on some level her mom knew, but the Maclay women had been my family and never treated me any differently because of my ‘problem’.

“I don’t know when I finally got over my mom’s death, but a month ago I realized something.” She finally met my eyes, a look of strength on her face. It reminded me of how vulnerable she had been when we met.“I came home from work, im a social worker now. The case I was working on, well it was a somewhat familiar case.” A hundred thoughts went through me all at once, I didn’t want to talk about my parents, not today. This day had been emotionally traumatizing already. “It got me thinking, so I pulled out my photo album, like I did almost every night and I just sat there for hours, crying and staring at the memories.” There was this far away look in her eye as she thought back. “I realized that I missed being here, hearing Anya being inappropriate, Xander making stupid jokes, Buffy and Dawn fighting, Faith hitting on everyone.” She took a deep breath, “But most of all I missed you, your smile, your babble, your sleep talking, that look you get on your face when you think you’ve said something wrong. I missed you being there when I needed to talk or laugh.”

I knew I was blushing, but couldn’t bring myself to care. “So why wait a month to visit if you missed us so much?” A smile crept over her face, the one that said ‘I know something you don’t‘
“I’m not visiting” I looked at her closely. Of course she was visiting, I was here with her.

“What do you mean?”

“If I was visiting, that would mean I planned on leaving. And I don’t” Tara stated, proudly, but I could see the fear of rejection hidden in her expression.

“Where are you living?”

“Hotel for now, The month it took me to get here wasn’t enough to find a place but my transfer already went through” I nodded my head. “You bought Buffys place.”

“No, um after her mom passed” I stopped stealing a look at Tara to see if she was aware of the passing, clearly she was. How she knew was a question for another day.“Dawn was struggling with sleeping there at night, so they moved in with Faith. The Place is still Buffy’s, I’m just renting it till she is ready to move back in. She worried about finding someone she trusts to live there, so I offered.” Looking down at my long abandoned mocha.

“Your a good friend.” she breathed.There was a long silence before she spoke again. “Alright its killing me, Xanders daughter, is she named after you?

“Yes, Danielle Harris. Anya’s decision.”

“Really, did you finally figure out how stand being in the same room as her?” Tara grinned
“No, she drives me crazy, but I love her daughter. Honestly, I don’t completely understand why she did it, but it was incredibly touching.”

“You two seem incredibly close.”

“well, I babysit quite a bit. Working from home, I’m always around to look after her on her parents date night and stuff like that.”

“I doubt you mind that much.” She laughed, “What are you doing for work?”

“I’m the brain behind the computers for all Anya's businesses and a few other online stores. I also help company's design proper security systems”

“Sounds like you.” She still made that face of confusion she always did when I talked about anything computers. I remember it well from our computer class in highschool, I used to help her with all of her assignments. It frustrated her that she could never understand computers, I think it was partly because I loved them so much and she just wanted apart of that.

“Social work sounds like something you would do.”

“It doesn’t pay much”

“You don’t care about money,” a light smile broke out over her face.

“Your right, it's a very rewarding job, boring at times, frustrating and completely heart breaking, but I don’t regret it.” letting out a sigh. “I haven’t done this with anyone for years. Just sitting and talking. I avoided making any real friends in Boston, probably because I knew they wouldn’t be the scooby gang. Even with Coworkers, I would refuse to go out and grab a drink with them, choosing to sit at home and read.”

“Well im sure they will be more than pleased your home.” I chuckled, “I mean back, not home” I corrected quickly.

“No Willow, I'm home, this has always been my home, that never changed.” Tara reached a hand across the table, and placed it on my own in an act of reassurance.

I searched deep into Tara eyes, for something, I don’t really know what, just something. She seemed different in unclear ways, but she was also so much like she had always been. I could see her kindness, her heart, but also that insecurity that had haunted her for her whole life. She was still that friend that I looked out for all through our friendship, she was the friend that had given me a place to hide, a safe place, she had given me everything. “Would you like to stay with me? Till you find a place of your own”

The shock on her face was clear, she obviously had expected something different from me. “Willow, you don’t have to do that. I didn’t come here thinking I could just invade your life.”
“I want to do it and I know you didn’t but you're not invading my life. I have a spare bedroom at home you can use and its a lot cheaper than staying in a hotel. I really don’t mind Tara, I want you around and I want to do this for you.” I babbled.

After a long moment I heard her say, “For some reason I thought you would be angry with me.”
“I am, I’m hurt and frustrated, I don’t understand and that drives me crazy.” I brought my free hand up to rub my eyes out of the exhausted state they were in. “Despite all that your my friend and you have done so much for me. I’ll get over you leaving, but I’m not going to overlook you while im moving on. I've been angry for a very long time, and I'm tired now.”

“I really am sorry Willow.”

“Does that mean you will stay with me?”

“Are you sure Buffy wont mind? It is her house.”

“Buffy and Faith would kick my ass if I didn’t offer. The only people who really have a say are Xander and Anya but I doubt it will be a problem.”

“Why would it matter to them? Oh god, do they hate me?” Tara went pale at the thought of being rejected by the married couple.

“No they don’t hate you. But if they're daughter is in my home, They have a say in who I bring around her.”

“How did people react after I left?” Her voice became small and she took her hand back, crossing her arms over her chest to protect her.

“Well, Faith drew back into herself a bit more. Xander was, comedic relief as always but no one felt much like laughing. We all loved your mom. People moved on after a while and understood why you left. After Buffy’s mom died though, Dawn missed you so much, she needed you, but we didn’t know where you were.” I let out a sigh before continuing. “Buffy made me promise when you left not to look for you, she knew I could do it, but she made me promise no matter how bad we got, not to find you and bring you back before you were ready. When Dawn found out, she was so angry and on some level I don’t think she will ever forgive me for it.”

“Thank you for not looking.” I nodded in response. “How about you? How did you react?” There was caution in her voice.

“Does it matter, It was a long time ago?” I said absent-mindedly fiddling with my mocha on the table, refusing to meet her gaze in a stubborn attempt at avoiding the question.

“It matters.” She stated simply as if it was obvious.

“I coped”. She challenged me with her stare, not truly accepting that as an answer. we sat like that for a few moments till she finally decided not to push me. I nodded at her decision.

she changed the topic. “So, when can I move into your guest room?” she asked, “that is if your still sure?”

“I am, your more than welcome to stay with me. How about you come over tomorrow night, get settled in and then if you want you can stay for the scooby dinner?”

“Do you think they will want me there?”

“I think that once they find out your here, they will never want you to leave. Not ever again.”

“Is there anything I can do to make it up to you Will?”

“If you think your going to leave again, just do it. Don’t come back here, earn everyone's trust, get Dani to love you and then leave again. Dawn can’t take you leaving one more time and if Buffy doesn’t kill you for that, I will for breaking Dani’s heart.”

"I'm not going anywhere Will, I told you, this is my home and I will do anything to prove that to you."

There were so many things that needed said, but for tonight this was all we could take. I knew I had so much more I needed to know, needed to explain. There was this whole part of my life she didn't know about and it was strange because she had always been there, always knew me better than anyone, but not anymore. Now she was almost a stranger.

Last edited by thecursed&thegifted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:34 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hello :bigwave

Just read this, what a great start! I absolutely love AU stories and can't wait to see where this is headed. You have me intrigued as to why Tara left in the first place and the secrets Willow has. Can't wait to read more....please tell me there's more :pray

Thanks
Kim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:08 am 
5. Willowhand

I really like that they are being adults and understanding about the situation...especially Willow. She is hurt and angry, but she realizes that Tara was hurting. I can't wait to see them see how they become re-acclimated.

Please update again soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hmm, won't speculate as to Willow's secrets, or if Tara has the same ones, because I know what happens when you ass-u-me. I know I only flaked on those I care about for about three years beofre I reached out, but in the nine years since I've had very little feedback so I know how it goes.

Like the signature :-).

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:49 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Replies

kimmy_s- Thank you for reading and I hope I do you right by this story!!I love AU's too, they always seem to make the best stories.

fhiwda- I'm glad you like it, I really wanted to highlight how they've grown in the years. I got some angst in here so forgive me if it takes a bit for them to really start to click. I have a plan and I hope its as good as I think it is.

DaddyCatALSO- Speculate all you want, I love when people guess and pitch their ideas, it makes for a really interesting comment when you know they are right. I'm glad you reached out and that your reading my Fic. Thank you, I love my signature, I was talking to a friend about Buffy and it just popped into my head.

Thank you everyone!!!!

Update Below!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:52 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Chapter 3

There was so much that needed said. I couldn’t stop thinking about everything that had changed. Her being here now, it meant that I would have to tell her all that's happened, I would have to relive all that pain. I could handle it to, but the fact was, that most of the pain worsened from needing her, needing my best friend. She left me and now she was back. I've changed, she’s changed and I don’t know if we can accept that. There was so much I needed her to tell me, because god I can't take not knowing.

After getting spending time with Tara last night I had trouble sleeping. I was beyond worried about how this was going to change everything. My mind was racing with scenarios where I blow up at Tara and she runs off again and it would be my fault that Tara couldn’t be with the people she cared about. Then I wondered how the others would react, they all loved her and had missed her but so much had happened. I wasn’t certain about Buffy’s feelings, she had been my rock after Tara left and she had taken care of me and watched out for me these last few years. Not to mention the agony her sister went through in missing Tara. It was a tough call, everyone had reasons for welcoming Tara, and shunning her completely.

I heard the faint, hesitant knock on the door and look towards the clock to check the time. 4:30, that would be Tara. I gathered myself and went to answer the door. when I answered the door I found Tara standing there, a black backpack slung over her shoulder and a box in her arms.
“Hey Willow." She was wearing tight black jeans and a blue tank top that really complimented her figure. Not that I was looking at her figure or anything. I found myself closely studying a chain around her neck with a ring on it, finding it incredibly familiar but not being able to place it. Over all though Tara seemed exhausted to say the least, with dark bags under her eyes and a slight slump in her posture.

“Hey. Come on in” I said stepping aside to allow her in. “So the spare room I have is Dawns old room. I'm staying in the master bedroom because I need the space for my computers.”

I took the box from her and started up the stairs, hearing her follow me. “Why didn’t you just turn the room into an office, keep your computers there?” She inquired.

“Well, Sometimes Faith and Buffy fight and Faith runs off. She comes here, so after the first few times I got the room made up for her.” reaching the top of the stairs I peered over my shoulder to see a pensive look on Tara's face as she climbed to join me “Sometimes I work late at night too and its easier for Dani if im not up and around the house while she's trying to sleep.”

“Why does Faith come here? You two have never been close before." She met my gaze, using those studying eyes that had always seemed to see through any falsehood. When we started hanging out together it had bothered me that she was capable of knowing people so well that she could defuse almost any situation with just that expression. Eventually I found myself looking up to her for it, I had always wanted to understand people the way she did, but I knew few ever could.

“We’re fairly close now. She comes because she knows I wont judge her, that I understand and she's always welcome here.” I moved away from her trying to keep my face and voice neutral as I spoke. I had a strange relationship with Faith, we understood certain things about each other that no one else in our group ever could. I knew that when it came down to it, Faith would protect me with her life as I would her. It took a few years, but when it became clear how alike we really were, we took comfort in knowing what the other had been through was similar to what we had been through ourselves. “I think the place might make her feel safe too, all the memories from here, she's had some good times here.” Opening the door to the spare room I let Tara go in first.
“With me being here where will she stay? I don’t want to take anything from her.” It was clear by her tone Tara had avoided asking something she was nervous about.

I put down her box and looked up to find her studying the room “She wont mind crashing on the couch, you're not taking anything from her. Shes still more than welcome to stay here,”

“What about the other room upstairs?”

“It’s for Dani when she stays here. It’s cute, reminds me a little of our dorm room.” I laughed a little at the memory of when I took her shopping for her room.

Tara turned to look at me, completely confused about what I meant. “How so?”

“You remember the lights we hung from the ceiling?” A smile instantly graced Tara's lips as she nodded. “She picked out the same ones and asked if we could hang them in her room like I used too.”

“Thats so sweet.” It was sweet, but it also made going into her room feel like a punch to the gut. It was hard to get used to, I remember a year ago when Xander and Anya went away on a trip together and let me look after Dani, only to have her get sick. I stayed with her while she felt bad one night, sleeping in her bed with her, but when I woke up I thought I was back in UC Sunnydale. I thought Tara was laying across the room sleeping or fiddling with her sketch pad, when I figured out that she wasn’t and I had no idea where she was it was an unimaginable pain.
“What time is everyone getting here?” Tara asked, running her hand over the shelves of the empty bookshelf.

“Five, but we Scoobies had a habit of being late.” I joked.

“Your never late.” She shot back with a smirk on her face as she spoke.

I couldn’t help but grin back at her as I replied. “Not true, you make me late. Remember the first time I was ever late for class? It was right after meet you.”

She laughed knowing that it was true, Tara had always had trouble being on time for anything. I used to have to drag her out of bed in the morning for class, in college I knew her class times better than she did. “Well I broke my record, im about seven years late?”

“What are you late for?”

“The circus.” She said with her signature half-smile, in a she was joking but in a way she was right. Being here was like being in a circus, things always seemed to happen to the scoobies. Sometimes we were fun and would make people laugh, other times we’d have people sitting on the edge of their seat nervous and afraid.

I heard a knock from downstairs and saw Tara suddenly stiffen. It hadn’t occurred to me that she would be nervous about seeing everyone, not with how confident she had seemed lately. But I guess sometimes she was still that stuttering, shy and isolated girl, at least inside her own head.

Oh god, Buffy, Faith, Giles and Dawn are down stairs. What am I going to do, what is Willow going to say? I don’t want them to hate me, I can't take that, not from them. I shouldn’t have left, I should have just stayed here, I could have dealt with it, I know I could have. Jesus, why did I even leave again?

I heard what was definitely a Dawnie squeal, the one that burst out when she got excited. I had missed that so much, the smart teenager who was so much like willow as a teen, bubbly and so full of life. Standing at the top of the stairs as I listened to the muffled voices from below, I couldn’t overcome the love I felt for everyone I had so dearly missed.

I walked down the steps and joined everyone slowly in the living room where I met eyes with a grinning Willow over her guests shoulders. “Willow were doing this thing in class- and you're not listening to me.” Dawn turned around to see me, a look of shock evident in her expression. “Tara?” She asked with a shaky voice, as Buffy and Faith turned around at the name.

“Bloody hell.” I heard Giles shout from down the hall.

“Hey, Dawnie, everyone.” I felt timid at the sight of my friends. Dawnie had really grown, she was taller than Buffy now. There was a nice age to her face, She looked more like her sister. Dawn wasn’t a kid anymore, she was a woman now and I missed watching her grow up.Buffy, didn’t appear much to have changed unlike Willow and Dawn. The only difference being her eyes, they had always been strong and youthful, now they appeared experienced and wise.
The sisters exchanged glances, looking towards each other, both turning to Willow and then Buffy on her own finding Faiths eyes. The both looked incredibly torn between how to react, and I found myself panicking at the way Buffy’s hands were clenching at her side. I can't take rejection from these people. Finally Dawn threw herself at me, wrapping her arms around my neck and pulling me close to her. “Sorry I missed your graduation.” I whispered to her, feeling her arms tighten their hold. I felt a dampness on the side of my face and knew that Dawn was crying, making me follow after her.

After a long couple of moments Faith put a hand on Dawns shoulder letting her know silently that it was time to let me go. When she let go, I was almost instantly taken into Buffy’s arms, it was less desperate, but the hug certainly wasn’t lacking in love. Before she could let me go, the front door slammed.

“Auntie Will” an excited voice called as Dani came running into the room, dodging us all to jump up into Willows waiting arms. I pulled back from Buffy to see a smile plastered on Willows face that made my heart warm at the sight, I hadn’t seen her smile so brightly for years. “I missed you so much Auntie.” She said into Willows neck.

“You just saw her yesterday munchkin.” Faith reminded her.

“Your just jealous she likes Willow better than you Faith,” I heard Xander say behind. I turned to see him finding a goofy smile on his face, soon fading to one of confusion as he saw me. He looked much more mature than he had years ago. He was still tall and broad, with short dark hair. He was slightly unshaven with a small amount of stubble on his chin that was sure to drive Anya up the wall. “Ahn, honey? I think you should come in here.” I said with a calm voice, hinting at a smile.

“Willow! What are you doing to my daughter!” Anya said racing into the room in a panic over Xander calling her, assuming that her daughter and Willow were the cause. She stopped short when I came into her sight. “Tara?” I nodded. “It’s about time” She said launching at me almost as fast as Dawn had. Xander following to join in the hug, wrapping his arms around the both of us.

I looked over at Willow to find her eyes, on me. She seemed relieved, I hadn’t been sure she wanted them to accept me but watching her now, I know she had. This was probably the best meeting I could have asked for. I might not still be apart of this family, but no one had rejected me yet. I still had some stories to tell, im sure they did too. Coming home so far had been a lot easier than I had originally thought it would be, but I could tell from Willow, her words, expressions and even her silences since I had been with her that the challenges weren’t over, I wasn’t home yet.

Last edited by thecursed&thegifted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:38 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Good update, nice to see them not rejecting Tara. Was good to see the POV switch halfway through as we get to see what both girls are thinking. Am wondering if either of them had romantic feelings for each other before Tara left. Oh well, guess I'll jut have to wait and see!

Thanks
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:40 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
I like this story but the format makes it hard to read.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:52 pm 
20. Not one Much for the Timber

Topics: 15
Hi...I just made it through your fic and now I am intrigued! Mostly as to the mystery surrounding Willow in the years Tara has been gone. I really hope you keep it going, I'm looking forward to them working things out.

Just a little advice...you most definitely need to add spacing. The way it is now makes it very difficult read.

"Transform your pain. Release your past. And ... uh ... get over it."
~Willow, Where The Wild Things Are

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:03 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Replies

kimmy_s - Thank you for commenting. I love that your thinking about whats going on and I hope this update may answer some of the stuff going through your head. Enjoy and let me know what you think. Oh, and I love your new signature!

vampyregurl73- It is an honor to have you comment. Thank you for the suggestion, I tried to fix up the format this time and if its still no good, let me know. I hope you continue to read, comment and enjoy my Fic. Tell me what you think of the new update, good or bad, I would love to hear about it.

Finey_McFine - Thank you so much for commenting and reading. I'm really glad your interested and I think you may really like this chapter. Ive got a few things up my sleeve for this Fic, I hope you stick around to read them. Please enjoy the update and let me know what you think, I tried to fix the formatting this time around. I'm looking forward to your possible feedback- and your "Baby makes three" update XD

Update Below!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Chapter 4

I was wrong. There, I finally admitted it, I was wrong to leave. I had so much here, these people were my friends. God they were my family and I left them because I couldn't deal. If I had told them the whole truth they would have supported me without question, they would have given me space, anything I asked for. Willow might have moved mountains to help me mourn my mother's death and even if she couldn't help me with my other problem, I could have asked Buffy.

I missed Joyce’s last days, her funeral. I wasn't there when Anya told everyone she was pregnant, didn't get to watch over her for those nine months or sit in the waiting room with everyone in panic as she gave birth. I missed watching Dani grow over the last five years. I wasn't there when Willow and Buffy finish school, I even missed Dawn walking across the stage to get her diploma. I made this mistake and it cost me seven years of my friends lives, maybe seven years of my own life.

How can I expect them to forgive me, when I can't even forgive myself? How can I ask Willow to let me back into her life when I tell her the whole truth of why I left? I don't know what I'm doing anymore, I've screwed everything up.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, after all they all welcomed me home without event. Sure I didn't get the spine breaking hug from Willow that I had wanted, but she didn't slam the door in my face either. No one ha turned me away, Giles though not full of words had an expression of pure affection plastered on his face the pride of a father. The multitude of them giving hugs, with Xander expressing a charming yet somewhat smug smile.

"Alright Tare, stop staring at your pizza and tell us where you've been" Buffy said, causing me to look up to find prying eyes.

I looked around the table, studying the people around me. Anya was beside me, Xander next to her with an arm curled around her shoulder while he used the other to eat. Willow was at the end furthest from me. She wasn’t eating at all, simply picking at her slice with a fork as she quietly listened for an answer. Buffy was beside her, watching me but peeking at Willow from the corner of her eye with slight concern. She was followed by Faith than Dawn the two stuffing their faces like rabid animals. Giles was next to me on the other end of the table holding his granddaughter with love as she sat peacefully with him hugging a stuffed kitty.

"I went to Boston, where me and mom had lived before here." I started "I wanted to relive the memories we had there, visit the old house, the park she took me too," I tried to explain.

"What about after that T? What did you do after you had seen all that stuff?" Faith asked calmly pushing her now empty plate away from herself. She may have appeared calm, but I knew she was a little hurt by something I had, or maybe something I hadn’t said.

"I found an apartment, got a job at this crappy fast food place and finished my classes online, after a year or so I manage to get a job in social work," as I finished speaking I saw Buffy cringe at mention of my line of work.

Faith having noticed started to chuckle at Buffy’s obvious discomfort "B, you have to get over that, it was years ago!"

Getting a defensive look on her face Buffy answered, "It was a disaster! She thought Spike was my boyfriend and you correcting her did not help!"

"Come on Buffy, it wasn't that bad, she didn’t take me away." Dawn chuckled darkly.

"Only because I begged her not to and even then my girlfriend made it difficult!" Buffy opening accused her girlfriend beginning to blush at the memory.

"Buffy, we all know it's not Faiths fault you almost lost Dawn" Willow spoke up, meeting eyes with Buffy. "It all worked out in the end, they saw what a great guardian you made to her,"

"She might have just acted like she planned on taking Dawn away because she thought it would bring out you inner parent" I added. "We aren't all on some war path where we need to rip children from their families." Teasing Buffy. She didn't look away from Willow, not for a long moment. “Thats just a stereotype.”

"Alright, everyone off my back. So Tara what about friends, guys, are you seeing anyone?" Here was the moment, this was it. I knew they wouldn't reject me for it, but it was something I had never told anyone. I had never just came out and admitted it, but I had never needed to tell anyone before.

"No, I didn't really go out much. And there are no guys." I took a deep breath, preparing for the worst. "I'm actually gay"

"Awesome! Willows not driving stick anymore either!" Faith said instantly while everyone else was busy processing this new information. I turned to Willow who I found was looking back at me, a wall shielding herself as she studied me.

"Faith! That's Willows business and she's the one who gets to share it, not you." Dawn chided her.

"Calm down Dawnie." Willow said rolling her eyes and crossing her arms. "It's not a secret that I'm gayer than Skittles," She smiled. I felt my eyes catch on her for a moment as I heard Dawn laugh lightly.

"I think I know why they call it Sunnydale." Smirked Anya. The Xander and Anya I knew had never been this quiet or content. But they both looked exhausted, Anya had her head curled up on Xander shoulder, hugging his arm into herself. Marriage and parenthood had really settled them, they both looked so mature. In high school if you had told me Xander Harris would be the first of this little gang to settle down, I would have thought you were possessed. "Dawn would probably be gay if she hadn't spent all that time living with her dad." Dawn groaned at the memory causing Anya to giggle.

"What about Xander than?" Buffy questioned trying to prove her wrong.

"Well B, there was Spike." Faith reminded her.

"I'm not gay, and I certainly wouldn't be gay for Spike!" Xander calmly said with his eyes closed, leaning his head gently a top Anya's.

"I quote, I'm going gay. I've decided I'm turning gay. Willow, gay me up. Come on, let's gay." Willow mimicked Xander. Everyone looked to Xander and started laughing at the site of Xander's opening and closing his mouth. Xander eventually joined in blushing slightly. Dani, who probably didn’t know what we were talking about began snickering at the sight of her favorite aunt making her dad uncomfortable.

"So what is everyone doing these days, I know about Willow but not anyone else.” I asked after everyone began to calm down.

"Me and Faith train self-defense." Said Buffy. Buffy had always loved fighting for as long as Ive known her, no one had ever been a challenge for her before Faith. There had been numerous occasions in high school of her protecting us and herself. When Faith came along, they had started training together and kinda built a connection. It wasn’t a surprise that the two would do something like this.

"I help them out in the building over the weekends, but im in my second year studying psychology at UC Sunnydale " chimed in Dawn proudly. That had been Willows major when I left, no doubt Dawn was following in the footsteps of her lifelong role model.

"Construction work" said Xander. In Highschool, Xander had tried picking up just about every hobby just to find out he wasn’t very good at it. I remember him offering to help my mom put together this bookshelf she had bought and falling in love with the act of building things. I sometimes wondered if my mom had known, I think she had and it filled my heart to know how much she had thought of him as a son.

"I own a book store now, I quit the highschool after Dawn graduated ." Said Giles, bouncing his granddaughter on his knee. I couldn’t help but grin at the at both the site and the news. Mr. Giles had always loved books and us dearly and to know that he had stayed a stuffy librarian in an empty library just to watch over Dawn filled me with joy. We had been the kids who hung out in the library and kept Mr. Giles company. He had always felt to unfulfilled and lonely in his job, we had been the ones to give him purpose. He had taken us in and given each of us the father we all deserved but never got.

"I have various stores and I'm currently working on buying out a law firm." Anya finally said. Anya had always wanted to become a lawyer, she had very strong views against men harming woman. She had this need to protect them and to get justice for them. I had always thought that it may have something to do with her birth parents, but it was only a guess and the only one who knew for sure was Xander, though he would never tell a soul.

"Wow, your all doing so great." I breathed leaning back in my chair. It was so much to take in, these people had grown up. They were still the same, but they were also so much more.

"We have our moments. Dawn still can't get through a Tuesday without causing some disaster!" Dawn looked like she might protest, but then let out a sigh stuffing more pizza into her mouth. “And my birthdays are still eventful in a way that makes me want to invest in a panic room.”

“B, those are way to expensive and there's no way our apartment will let us put on in." Faith sighed "So T, Where are you staying anyway?"

"Um-" I started but was cut off by Willow almost instantly.

"I asked her to stay here" Willow said looking to Buffy. They shared a moment, some other silent question that I didn't understand. They had grown since I had seen them, something had happened, something that made that protective nature Buffy possessed stand strong in her eyes. Willow stared back at her with strength and confidence that I had never seen in her. I had always known how strong Willow was, how brave, it was what made Willow, well Willow. But this was a different strength, it wasn't just her will it was the power if her soul. She had been through so much growing up and it had pained her to talk about it so she hardly did, but from I had learned throughout the years, she was the strongest person I had ever known.

“Im glad, you know your always welcome here Tara” Buffy beamed, but I could still see the worry ion her gaze. I had always thought her eyes had been the only way to know what Buffy was thinking, she had always been a little closed off. I wasn’t sure what was troubling her, but I knew if it was serious I would eventually find out. Good or bad, I wasn’t going anywhere.

“Willow” Buffy said behind me as I reaching into the fridge for a few fresh beer. I could hear everyone laughing from the living room as Xander told his story on the time a guy paid him to eat a bug.

I turned around and met the blonds stare with a grin. “Whats up Buff?” I asked.

“Are you sure about Tara staying here? Can you handle that?” I knew it would come up eventually and really the question was just a worry from one of my best friends but she didn’t need to worry about Tara.

“I'm sure. This is Tara and its only for a while, I will be fine. I'm doing fine and plus, this means I wont be alone as much anymore. I may even feel safer.” I tried to comfort her. I knew she would always look out for me, after everything we had been though, after everything she had learned. No one talked about what had happened, it was a silent agreement that even Anya managed to abide by, but Buffy would never forget it. We couldn’t forget it.

“Its up to you Will. I'm glad she's back and that she has a place to stay, but I just want you positive about this.”

“I'm sure Buff.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

DIBS!

Very nice update. Love that we get to learn a few things about everyone's lives and that Tara is slowly getting to know them all again.

Quote:
"It's not a secret that I'm gayer than Skittles,"

Quote:
"I quote, I'm going gay. I've decided I'm turning gay. Willow, gay me up. Come on, let's gay." Willow mimicked Xander.

So funny!

Can't wait to see where this is going, keep up the good work. The formatting was much easier to read this time.

Thanks
Kim

P.S. thanks about my signature, I had to somehow mark the occasion as I have been reading it for close to 10 years!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:29 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 3
Just finished reading your updates. I think you have the makings of a good story that just needs some structural tweaking to make it a little more enjoyable. First of all, thank you for adding in the spacing, it helps a lot. Another suggestion I would offer is, keep your point of view (POV) consistent. Meaning, if you are going to use first person, stick with the same character as the 'I" throughout the story, otherwise it gets a bit confusing and disorienting switching back and forth. If you want to switch back and forth, try using multiple third person with only one character's POV per scene. This way us readers have a clear idea of who is saying and doing what. I hope that's helpful.

If you are interested in some writing resources please PM me and I would be happy to recommend some that I have used and found incredibly helpful as a new writer.

I think with these small changes it will add greatly to what is already an interesting story.

Good job. Keep writing :kgeek

Remodeling: The Reconstruction of Tara Maclay / W/T Potpourri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 am 
2. Floating Rose

I just read your first few chapters and I really like where the story is going. You have a unique and interesting idea. Can't wait to read more!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 4
I just finished reading through all of this, and I must say that I'm really enjoying this so far. I'm really interested in reading more, since I have so many questions that reading more can answer. Especially what happened right before Tara left.

Quote:
"It's not a secret that I'm gayer than Skittles,"

This quote really made me laugh. Such a great line :)

Looking forward to seeing an update soon! :)

Colton

"Between a laugh and a tear, And that's as good as it can get for us, And there ain't no reason to stop tryin'" - John Cougar Mellencamp, "Between A Laugh And A Tear"

"I've always been a big fan of books." - Amber Benson

Post subject: Re: New Fic (Updated 4/13/2014) - Welcome Home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:32 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Note- A short chapter, but I have my reasons for that.

Chapter 5

Everyone had left.‭ ‬It was a night filled with laughs,‭ ‬hugs and tears.‭ ‬Buffy and Faith had been the first to leave,‭ ‬Faith leading Buffy with their hands clasped together as they walked home.‭ ‬Then the loving Harris family had followed.‭ ‬Dani asleep in her fathers arms as he coaxed his intoxicated wife to leave the house.‭ ‬Not long after Giles and Dawn went home,‭ ‬Dawn stealing the keys and getting in the driver's seat before the legless older man could argue.‭

I had walked out into the backyard and settled onto the grass to watch the sky.‭ ‬Laying back on the grass I was completely still as though I was sleeping.‭ ‬I was admiring the‭ ‬stars.‭ ‬They made me feel safe,‭ ‬at peace.‭ ‬They gave me the freedom to explore my mind without fear.‭ ‬So beautiful,‭ ‬unattainable,‭ ‬they settled.‭ ‬As a teenager,‭ ‬I used to sneak out in the middle of the night to stargaze.‭ ‬Me and Willow had this special place that we spent time together at and I would go there on those nights.‭ ‬I would sneak out when I was upset and go there and sometimes I would find Willow there waiting to comfort me. Tonight,‭ ‬as I stared at the mass amount of‭ ‬stars and bask in their light,‭ ‬I felt welcomed.

Though I had so much to make up for,‭ ‬no one seemed to hold my actions against me.‭ ‬My conversation with Mr.‭ ‬Giles had been quite shocking,‭ ‬among other things.‭ ‬I hadn't realized how much I missed him.

‭******
I watched as a slightly intoxicated Anya lectured a smirking Willow on her constant intake of caffeine and how it was a bad example to set.‭ ‬Xander stood next to her holding their snoozing daughter with a smile of his own.

‭"‬It's good to have you home Tara.‭" ‬I heard‭ ‬ Mr.‭ ‬Giles say behind me.‭ ‬I turned‭ ‬ my head towards him to see a warm love in his eyes.

‭"‬It's good to be home‭" ‬I said back to him.

‭"‬It was difficult to hear you were gone, you are very dear to me..‭"‬

‭"‬I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye.‭" ‬He took a step towards me and placed a hand gently on my shoulder.‭ "‬I wasn't sure how to face you‭"

"I understood‭" ‬He pulled me into a warm hug and held me.

‭"‬You know I consider you to be my father‭? ‬Right‭?" ‬My voice was quiet.‭ ‬He had been there from the start,‭ ‬when I finally started living my life.‭ ‬He had been the librarian that always welcomed me without question,‭ ‬and eventually he became a father figure.

‭"‬Nothing fills me with more pride‭"‬

It was a calm night,‭ ‬silent and well-lit by the moonlight.‭ ‬There was a soft chilly breeze,‭ ‬not irritating but,‭ ‬refreshing.‭

There was the soft sound of the door opening and closing behind me, followed by the light crunch of grass under someone's feet."You really should have a jacket on.‭" ‬I said as I felt her approach me.‭

"I'm OK‭" Willow‬ said settling onto the ground beside me,‭ ‬shrugging in response.‭ I was painfully aware of her distance or lack of in this case. She was still wearing her clothes from earlier, clad in a plain white blouse that was slightly damp along the front and worn down jeans. Her short hair was a little out-of-place from the long night, but it certainly didn't take away from her natural beauty.

We were silent for a long time.‭ ‬Listening,‭ ‬watching.‭ ‬It was a calming feeling to be with Willow,‭ ‬she grounded me and from the look on her face, she felt the same. She seemed so much more at peace with herself. Any other time her comfort was almost like that one puzzle piece that could be forced to fit however it would never truly fit. It was an act, a fairly good one that im sure most people bought. In this moment though, she wasnt putting on an act.

I looked away from Willow and back up at the stars that I had missed so much."In Boston,‭ ‬you couldn't really see the stars.‭ ‬I used to drive out of the city on my birthday every year so I could see them.‭" I‬ said softly,‭ ‬sitting up and using my hands to support myself.‭ "‬It wasn't enough,‭ ‬but it was all I could take the time for.‭"

“That must have driven you crazy.‭”‬ She sympathized‭ with a slight touch of amusement in her voice.

“You have no idea‭" I‬ chuckled darkly.‭

"Do you still remember your constellations‭?" ‬She asked quietly.

That made me smile. ‭ "‬If by my constellations you mean the ones I made up,‭ ‬than yes.‭" ‬I bumped my shoulder against hers playfully.

Her hand raised to the air pointing at a set of stars I recognized. "‬The Big Pineapple‭"‬.‭ she whispered, leaning against me lightly

"You remember‭?" ‬I asked surprised.‭ ‬Turning to her I looked into her green eyes.‭ ‬The moon illuminated her face,‭ ‬it's shape,‭ ‬tones and‭ ‬her magnificent eyes.‭ she was slightly shivering and I could just see the ghost of goose bumps across her exposed skin.

"How could I forget‭?" ‬She whispered with a smile.‭ It was magnificent to see her so calm and at home.

I smiled back and stood up.‭ "‬Come on,‭ ‬lets get you inside before you catch a cold.‭ " ‬I offered a hand to willow and pulled her to her feet, feeling a familiar tingle as our hands joined.

"Yes Mom." She teased starting back towards the house. "I forgot what it was like to have a caretaker."

"Just wait Rosenberg, Soon your going to be eating veggies and going to bed at proper times."

She held the door open for me. "How do you know that I'm not already doing those things, Maclay."

I looked at her over my shoulder and raised an eyebrow at her, giving her my best 'bullshit look'. "You can't honestly think I would believe that?"

"Can't blame me for trying." She grinned.

Looking around the kitchen I saw that she had already cleaned up and I felt suddenly guilty for disappearing into the back yard. "You know, I would have helped you clean up"

"That's exactly why I did it before you came back inside." I had to laugh. "I've got a bit of work to do, so I'm gonna head to my room. If you need anything, just let me know."

"Goodnight Willow"

"Goodnight Tara"

Post subject: Re: New Fic (Updated 4/13/2014) - Welcome Home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:18 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Chapter 6

My eyes were heavy, pained from another long night of tossing and turning. My body ached as it did every morning. I had never slept well, my head was always analyzing, contemplating. Even as a child I would sit up at night planning programs, deducting equations. I was never capable of turning off my brain, it was never quiet in my mind.

The best sleep I had ever had, sat at the bottom of a bottle. No, that was a lie. The best sleep I had ever had, was as a teenager, at a sleepover surrounded by my friends. I remember sitting up while everyone else was asleep, watching over them, till Tara's mom came down and found me awake. She took me into the kitchen, telling me softly that I was safe, that I was loved. She hugged me and sent me back to the living room, tucking me in next to Tara in our little nest on the floor. I held Tara that night, woke up to her smiling face. That was the most peace I had ever had in sleep.

Now I lay on the best bed money can buy, awake, begging for just another ounce of rest. My body ached from exhaustion, eyes hiding behind lids from the intense sunlight that shone from between the blinds .

I would have to get out of bed soon, it was Wednesday and Xander would be dropping off Dani on his way to work. I had half expected to hear them call and cancel, tell me Anya had a hangover and would stay home from work today. But looking at my phone it was almost nine thirty and there were no messages waiting.

I went through my morning routine, showering getting dressed and shuffling down the stairs to make some coffee.

It was a surprise to hear the sounds of someone carefully moving around the kitchen, rummaging as quietly as they could. Walking through the door I found Tara stirring a mix while a pan sat heating up on the stove. "Morning."

"Morning, hope you don't mind me making breakfast"

"Not as long as there's coffee and your making pancakes."

"It just finished brewing and do you want rounds or funny shapes?"

"Funny shapes of course." I said as I moved around the kitchen, grabbing the biggest mug I owned and filling it with the caffeinated liquid. "Thank you" I added after my sigh of delight.

"Your welcome." She respond as she poured the batter into the pan, swirling it with grace. It sizzled as it drowning out the all other noise, though I'm not sure if there was any other sound.

We stayed like that for a bit as she cooked. I nursed my coffee with greed and waited for the special breakfast.

Just as she was setting a plate out for me, I heard someone come in the door. "Auntie Will" called Dani as she came into the kitchen. I set my coffee down and pulled her up into my knee.

"Morning sweetie" I greeted as I kissed her on the forehead.

"Hey! The Xan-man wants some sugar to!" Xander said as he came into the kitchen dressed in his work clothes.

"That's a no go ladies man, you not cute enough." I answered him with a cheeky grin on my face.

"I'm gorgeous" Xander mumbled in the background being cut off by his daughter.

"Auntie are those pancakes? They are shaped weird" Dani asked, ignoring her dorky father.

"I'm a seriously hot guy-" He continued to rant on, even though no one was listening to him

"Yes they are, they are special pancakes that only Tara can make. The shapes make them taste better"

"I mean, I'm adorable- wait did you say Tara pancakes?" Xander said as he finally set aside his in securities at the prospect of food.

"Can I have some?" The child asked.

"I'm sure if both of you asked nicely, Tara would make you some. "

"Tara can we pleeeeease have some pancakes?" The two asked in zinc, it looked as if try had rehearsed it. Dani really took after Xander.

Finally entering the conversation Tara smiled and said "Sure", turning to the stove and pouring more batter into the pan.

I picked a pancake off my plate and tossed it to Xander. "Go, you're going to be late for work." I teased as he stuffed the oddly shaped food into his mouth.

He mumbled something intangible with his mouth full, I'm guessing it was a thank you, stole another cake, hugged his daughter and raced out the door.

"Your dads a real goof" I told Dani as we watched the door close behind him.

"And you're not?" Tara asked me glancing over her shoulder with a smirk.

Dani let out a giggle, "she's right auntie, you are goofy."

"Alright kiddo, stop picking on me and dig into these delightful pancakes." I pushed the plate closer to her, cutting the cakes into bite size pieces and pouring her toppings at her request.

We all ate in a relative silence. Exchanging pleasantly's. Dani left us to take care of the kitchen, hugging and thanking Tara for the breakfast as she went.

I moved to help her clean up, clearing the countertop of the dirty dishes and placing them in the sink. "Thanks again for breakfast, you really didn't have to do that."

"Don't worry about it Will. " she answered coming up beside me to dry the dishes I had started washing. "Feeding you a decent meal was on my list."

"What's next? Getting me drunk and taking advantage of me?" I teased.

"Yup, have another cup of coffee." Tara said nonchalantly.

"Maclay, you spiked my coffee!" faking shock and disbelief.

A light smirk covered her face as she replied "I have no idea what you are talking about"

I couldn’t help but laugh at that, I could see that malicious look in her eye, the one that everyone seemed to miss. "God, you still play that card.

She played it cool, acting confused and asking “What card?”

“The one where you act all innocent”

“It’s not an act.”

I put down the dish I was washing and turned towards her. Leaning against the counter I crossed my arms over my chest and said “Don’t even try it Maclay, you may have everyone else fooled, but I know your evil.”

“Oh Willow, need I remind you of the time you filled Cordial Chases locker with mice?” She finally lost her composer and started laughing.

“She asked for it and I seem to remember you smirking while she squealed.”

She tilted her head towards me with her signature half-smile present on her face.“I also remember telling you that you shouldn’t seek revenge, its addictive.”

“I had to teach her that messing with you wasn’t something that I was going to stand by and let happen.”

“She made you miserable till Buffy kicked her ass and got suspended for a week!” She pointed out clearly amused.

“And even Buffy’s mom supported our choices.”

“Goddess, you are unbelievable Will.” She chuckled at me.

“You love it.”

“I really do.”

Post subject: Re: New Fic (Updated 4/27/2014) - Welcome Home
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:22 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Truly adorable interaction. They're "already-again" soundign like most couples that've been together for years. (And I think your Auto-Correct is doing a number on you :-).)

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.