The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER SEVEN - 10/02/12
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:53 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
Katharyn, Okay, now in MY defense.. oh never mind LOL. I should have known there would be teasing for the Harm comment. Yes, I think she was turned during the big battle; otherwise, it would probably require a deaf Vamp to wanna turn her. LOL I recall one of Spike’s minions needing glasses. It’s odd that they have super strength and can apparently recover from a broken back etc. but poor eyesight isn’t healed after being turned. Shoot.. now I’m trying to remember if their limbs regenerate. I won’t shed a tear for Harmony if that’s not the case.

Anyhoo.. At this point, it would be a surprise if I wasn’t surprised. LOL Good job! I'm enjoying this story.. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:16 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Diana picked up the shovel that Spike must’ve been using to dig for what she’d just taken and slashed it upwards – blade first – from his crotch to his collar bone, opening him up like a fish, flesh, sinews and even splitting the bones of his rib cage.

“Spikey!”

“Aww, Harm, shut up…” he groaned as he sank to his knees. Obviously they felt pain, these demons, even if it wasn’t an injury that would kill him. At least not according to her Momma’s warnings.

“Callisto loves heart,” Diana explained to her casually. Her, rather than him. Then she reached forwards, into his chest and plucked it out.

this is fucking just, wowwwwwsy. what would billy idol say, more, more, more;))))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:19 am 
23. Volumey Text

Topics: 5
Kajun - NO

There is no defense.

LOL

I have no clue what vamps can regenerate. This fic won't need to worry about it :) Funny how I wrote my way out of needing to do stuff I don't wanna...

I will try to keep surprising you... there's definitely some.

Edob - I read your comment on my phone this morning and somehow I saw all the quoted text and then I THOUGHT you said 'this is fucking HOT'

Umm, thought I. Okay, that wasn't what I intended but there's no such thing as normal and who am I to judge. But since it doesn't say that... umm, maybe that reflects on me LOL.

Thanks so much, more will come... LOTS more.

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*
-------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Okay, I have a confession to make: I don't think Harmony is hot, but I felt sorry for her here. As I did feel sorry for her in canon because she really seemed to have loved Spike and thought he loved her back and then found out he didn't.
And I will miss Spike, because he was funny in some way, some kind of friend for Dawn and after season 4 more good than bad (as Buffy put it in the great fic "Answering Darkness" he was like the "Diet coke of evil"). Plus I really can't imagine how the series would have been without him. Guess I'll find out, won't I, LOL?

Why did Diana take Tara with her, to make her realize what she is capable of? And what does she want with this gem? I actually just don't know anymore what Spike wanted with it, was it this thingy that allows vampires to walk in daylight or am I mixing this up?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:40 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Heya Willsredemption - I can see the 'sorry for Harmony in canon' point, I really can. It wasn't her fault and she didn't know how to cope (which was a good think) but also because she was no more than comic relief, ever.

Her point here though was simply to identify the state Spike was in and because - per my own rules - there was no reason I'd established she would NOT be there... She's one of those external factors.

Spike though? Umm no. There's a lot I'm doing with certain other scoobs I would not choose to, but Spike? Hell no. So yes, we'll see what happens without Spike.

Why did Diana - well, that's the question, isn't it? :)

The Gem of Amara is, indeed, the vamps walking in daylight thing. We'll hear more about this in the next part. Talking of which that should post tomorrow.

Thanks so much :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:56 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

The Gem of Amara is, indeed, the vamps walking in daylight thing. We'll hear more about this in the next part. Talking of which that should post tomorrow.

Hello?!?!?!?

It's tomorrow :impatient !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:04 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Sorry Grimm, but when you posted that it was - in fact - yesterday.

Now for me it's today, but according to the board it's still yesterday. So you think I'm posting yesterday when in fact I'm posting today.

All time for posting are on GMT... LOL. So I guess you can say that I will post every 72 to 95 hours and still meet my target. But only when today is today and not yesterday. Here. Where we invented time :D

Will post it in a few mins...

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER EIGHT - 10/05/12
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Eight
Author: Katharyn Rosser
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: Following the last part, Tara sees the Scoobies for the first time and Xander reveals his involvement with Anya.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Couples: Tara and Willow forever, that’s all I’m bothered about.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: I thought I’d written notes for all these parts as I was going at first draft, but I must’ve started that a little later. Okay, so, as I write these notes I’ve just completed the first draft of Spiral in S5 and… find that I miss the carefree days of Season 4. It’s a pleasure to come back to them and I’m loving the idea of getting back to Willow and Tara coming together *cough* here. It’s months since I did the first draft of this so it’s all fading in my mind. But it’s fair to say that season 4 is much more fun in this story than season 5 will be. That’s reflected in the canon, of course, but enjoy this ride through season 4, it’s really just setting up the story elements for season 5.
Oh, and there will be some surprises along the way as those ripples from what changed spread.
To clarify after a reader question, the Gem of Amara was the ring that Spike was looking for and Buffy ultimately gave to Angel in LA which allowed vampires to walk in the daylight. We’ll see that here though.
Please excuse the necessary Ozness here… I’ve explained all that before.
Thanks to: My Louise, who has been very patient and uncomplaining as I dipped my toe back in the waters of writing big-fic for TKB and then just jumped in.

“The Gem of Amara you say?”

“What?” Willow had been dozing on Giles’ couch – remarkably comfortable actually – when everyone who’d set out to avenge her being bitten had returned. But it was the couch owner’s voice that had woken her. Grating English accents and all that. Still getting her bearings, everything was a bit woolly in her head.

“See, now you woke her up,” Buffy accused.

Willow looked around, counted the heads. Three had gone out and three had come back. That was good. Three had come back not looking at all mussed, which might’ve suggested they hadn’t been successful. On the other hand, it’d been Harmony they’d been after. It was hard to believe, after that bite, that she was very good at being a vampire.

No more than she’d been a reasonable excuse for a human being.

They could’ve slain her with no muss and no fuss. Not a hair out of place. Buffy did it all the time.

“Sorry,” Giles said.

“No, I’m fine,” Willow said, accepting a hug from her boyfriend when he came and sat next to her. “Really, I’m fine. What happened?”

“Spike was here,” Buffy said.

“What about Drusilla?” Willow asked, rather more worried about the insane – and powerful – vampire than Spike himself. They’d kicked his ass – or at least Buffy had – a few times before. Drusilla though… She was a different kettle of fish. Both more and less dangerous, definitely more of a worry though.

And wasn’t that a peculiar expression? ‘Kettle of fish.’ Why did you put fish in a kettle anyway? Was it an English thing? Could be. They were a little strange in what they liked to drink.

“Actually sounds like Drusilla dumped him,” Oz told her.

“And good riddance to bad rubbish,” Xander told them. “But we left out the part where Spike is no more. Caput. Poof. Dusted.”

“Way to go! You killed him, Buff?”

“Uh-uh,” the Slayer shook her head and didn’t look particularly happy to have missed out on her opportunity either.

Turning to Oz, “It wasn’t you, was it?” When the wolfie side of him was roused there was no telling what he might do to protect – or avenge – her. But it wasn’t a full moon, not yet so…

“Not me, baby,” he replied. “He was already a smudge on the floor of the crypt they’d been hanging out in when we got there.”

“Then how - ”

“Yes, how do you know what’s going on?” Giles asked. He was still miffed at being left behind to babysit her.

“Harmony told us,” Buffy revealed. “She’s no less of a gossip now than she was in school. Even in the mess she was in – and it was a mess - she was more than happy to tell us about what happened, she wanted our help to get the ones who did it to him, and can you imagine that?”

“She’s a vampire and she asked the Slayer – so called because of how you kill her kind – to help her get the ones who killed another vampire? And that vampire was Spike?” Willow couldn’t really imagine or believe it until she put it in the Harmony context. “Damn, that girl is dumb. She gives blondes a bad name.”

“Hey!”

“I think,” Oz explained to Buffy while Willow nodded, “Willow was saying that Harmony’s dragging the rest of you blondes down.”

“Absolutely,” Willow confirmed. “Lots of very intelligent people are blondes. Anyway, if you’re going to hunt these people down then I say you should be doing it to give them a medal. Who was it?”

“No idea,” Buffy said. “And that’s what’s bothering me.”

“There have been a number of unexplained occurrences going on recently,” Giles said. “Rumours of shadowy figures and the like.”

“Anyone for soda?” Xander asked, raiding the fridge.

Everyone put their hand up and Willow winced as she did the same, tweaking her bite wound.

“Oh, please, just help yourself. My house is yours,” Giles said with just a touch of sarcasm, even though he had one himself. “And everything in it.”

“Well, these figures weren’t very shadowy,” Oz said, returning to the subject. “Not the way Harmony described it.”

“Oh?”

“Two girls and two dogs,” Buffy said. She shrugged., probably in no positon to talk since her slaying outfit tonight had been that cute blue blouse and a pair of jeans. Plenty of people would’ve said that didn’t ‘look the part.’

But, except at full moon, they didn’t have a dog.

“And they killed Spike?”

“Yeah, one of the girls did for him – and then a dog ate his heart – while the other dog was set on Harmony.”

“And what was the other girl doing?” Willow asked, still able to count to two twice despite her injury.

“Dunno, but the good part is how the one dog chewed up Spike’s heart, after this woman had cut it out of his chest with a shovel.”

“Ouch…” Willow said. It wasn’t likely she’d feel much of a twinge for Spike, or any vampire, but even so… “And that killed him? I mean, dusted him?”

“Eventually,” Oz said. “Doesn’t sound like a great way to go.” This from the guy who’d woken up with deer heart between his teeth on more than one occasion before he’d figured out how to restrain himself.

“No argument there, but gone he is.”

“What about Harmony?”

Xander slid his finger over his throat and everyone who’d gone out there on the hunt looked at each other. “What?” Willow asked.

“Nothing. She’s a vampire. Buffy’s a vampire slayer. She was slain.”

“Then why are you looking at each other like that?” she asked.

“We made a deal,” Buffy said. “She told us what happened and we’d let her go.”

“So…?” Someone had still killed her. Harmony was just about stupid enough to attack Buffy, even when she was a mess. Not just a mess, but a mess.

“She bit you,” Oz said. “I’m sorry but, deal or not, I wasn’t letting that go.”

“You?”

He nodded.

-----------------

Diana’s timing had been as impeccable as the rest of her performance tonight. As they’d left the crypt and retreated to the tree-line with Callisto bumping into her in a friendly way as they walked, they’d seen the arrival of three college-age students at the crypt. At least she’d assumed they were students, they looked like that anyway and she was pretty sure she’d seen one of them, with the spiky hair, around campus.

“Who-who are they?” she’d asked, obviously they were supposed to pay attention to them otherwise they could’ve just left already. Mission accomplished?

“Hunters,” Diana had replied.

It hadn’t been the most important question, not really. There were plenty of them. “They’re hunting the vampires then.”

“That is the Slayer,” the other had said.

The ‘vampire slayer’, the solitary counterbalance to all the demons in the world, at least the ones that hurt people. Vampires were just the most obvious and the ones with the highest public profile.

“Wh-what about the others?”

“A shifter and a human.”

A shifter? She must mean a werewolf, or one of the similar creatures. Yes, she’d been told all about those too. Living where they had wolves, weren’t a distant memory. Nor the people who ran with them for a few days each month.

“How do you know?” she wondered. They were some distance away, only really close enough to judge approximate age, gender and little else.

“I know.”

Tara took a deep breath, realising that this might be the only chance to find out what she needed to know. While none of the others from the Wicca Group was with them, she was being invited to speak, to ask her questions.

There were so many of them, but three or four stood out from the pack.

“Why-Why did you bring me here?” Perhaps that was the wrong place to start though.

“That which we’ve recovered tonight,” Diana said, showing her the ring, “was never intended for the leeches.” She said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“But why me? I mean, why bring me? I didn’t do anything. I couldn’t help you and you didn’t need any help anyway.”

“You held your ground when most would have fled, that was the purpose in allowing the vampire his moment.”

“You were t-testing me?” Tara asked. It was one thing that had never occurred to her. A demonstration, if another was needed, or to persuade her of… something. But as a test? Of her courage? No… she’d not considered that idea.

“And you are more solid than most.”

Was that a good or a bad thing? It wasn’t like Diana had needed her, not in the slightest. Indeed she’d been protected by the dogs so she hadn’t even been covering Diana’s back. When another vampire had shown up she hadn’t even realised until Harmony was right there in her face. If anything she’d been more of a burden.

So she wasn’t yet certain that she wanted to know ‘why’.

Expectations… lots of people had expected different things from her over the years. From ‘not much’ to ‘a lot’… Not many had expected courage though.

It’d started with Momma who expected her to reconcile being a good girl and a witch. With her Dad who’d made sure she always knew what she would become but loved her all the same. He’d never stinted from showing her that. The things he said… he did it because he loved her.

At school she’d been expected by the teachers to get the good – but not excellent – grades. But also never to make many waves or to stand out from the crowd – and she hadn’t disappointed them either.

Most of the other students had expected her to take their casual insults and abuse so long as it never overstepped the line drawn by the fact they really didn’t much care about her one way or the other unless they lived close enough to know her family history.

Her friends had expected her to be steady and reliable Tara. The one who was always there and always willing to help them out, to listen to their problems. She hadn’t let them down.

Then at work, she’d been expected to provide good customer service in the diner, no matter whether it was a bad day or a terrible one. To show a friendly smile to the old folks she took meals to when her shift had officially ended an hour earlier, even if she’d done a double and couldn’t wait to take her shoes off.

And because she’d always been so conscious of those expectations no one had ever really said they were disappointed with her. Her whole life she’d satisfied everyone. But she’d always known – on some level – what it was that they wanted.

Not so here. Now she had no idea what was expected of her or what Diana wanted. All the clues, verbal or physical that should’ve told her – it was like they didn’t work the same way as with other people.

Diana was looking at the ring now, twisting it this way and that in the moonlight, examining it..

“What is it? The ring, I mean,” Tara asked.

“For those who know it now, this is called the Gem of Amara. It has greater age than anyone here realises. More years than these people know how to count. This is the single tear of a dryad at the moment of its death under the sunlight. A rarity, obviously.”

“Obviously,” Tara agreed, though she had no idea why.

“It was ever the method by which the Bacchii moved freely during the daylight hours.”

“The Bacchii?” She’d heard of them of course, their name lived on. But Diana was referring to them differently… the mythical side, the women who claimed the night, drank blood and… well, ‘orgied’ in the ancient world sense of the word which – if you were reading a book at school meant having a big meal where grapes were peeled for you and if you were reading a book for adults might get a little closer to the current understanding.

“Vampires are no more than a twisting, a perverted offshoot of the Bacchii when interest was lost and consequences ensued.”

“You mean… vampires were an accident?”

“Yes, they were the unintended consequences of an unforeseen event. All of the weaknesses of the Bacchii without their redemptive strengths.”

“So the ring lets a Bacchii, or a vampire, walk in daylight?” Tara surmised, not supposing that vampires were instinctive miners like Tolkien’s dwarves.

“Even in their rarity, they were more common once than they are now. Those two had belief that this is the last remaining tear of the Dryad,” Diana said.

“No wonder he wanted it.”

“Here,” Diana said, flicking it upwards. They were walking alongside each other at the same speed, but Tara had to scramble to catch it before it vanished into the undergrowth. No one had asked her to field at softball. Not more than once anyway. After looking at it - and it seemed pretty unremarkable actually - she offered it back to Diana.

Who refused to take it. “Keep it, do with it as you will.”

Tara considered that for a second or two. “But… won’t that make me a target? If some other vampire decided they had to have it?”

“It will gain you much coin, if you have the wits to find an interested party.”

Maybe she was being paranoid, but Tara had the feeling that this was another test. Whether it was or not, she didn’t want the ring. If vampires were coming after it then it was dangerous and she certainly wasn’t going to sell it to anyone who could misuse it. Hiding it had done… well, no good. Look how the vampires had been digging it up and so…

“No, no thank you,” she said. The other thing was that it was impossible to ignore that Diana wasn’t simply foreign or old fashioned… She was something else. Something powerful.

Knowing that though, she wasn’t sure whether – or how – she should extricate herself from the woman’s presence.

Running, with the dogs here, didn’t seem like any option at all. Sweet as they were being towards her.

Moreover… What had Diana really done? Killed those things that hunted people, real people who didn’t know anything about them even existing – let alone how to protect themselves. Was that so bad?

And Diana had tested her… making sure she wasn’t afraid – she was – or greedy – one thing she never been accused of - and that couldn’t be a bad thing either. Could it?

Still, what was the purpose of those tests?

“You do yourself much credit, Tara Maclay.”

“Th-thank y-you.”

And when, precisely had she admitted her surname? Not that it had been a big secret from the rest of the group, but she hadn’t volunteered it to Diana. Had she? Oh, the sign-in sheets. She’d put it on there. And it was in the student directory… except Diana wasn’t a student here. Was she? No… someone would’ve said something.

Someone would’ve noticed the power of the woman. Everyone would’ve been talking about it. Wouldn’t they?

Maybe I’m not the expert on what ‘everyone’ talks about though?

“We will see you again, I hope?” Diana said as they returned to the edge of the campus, with the dogs hanging back to stay within the trees where they’d met them earlier. Good call, because someone would’ve definitely mentioned them even if they could ignore a barefoot Goddess.

“Wicca Group?” she suggested.

“Yes… Wicca Group.” The way Diana spoke the words… different. Beyond simply being a foreign language – English certainly wasn’t her native tongue - rather… she sounded as if the term itself meant little to her. Which had to be seen as strange, considering that the entire group – including some of those who’d been members in previous years - was now looking to her as leader, not Eliza.

And she’d sought them out.

What tonight had shown Tara, uncertain as she’d been at the time, was that her beliefs and the power that was within her – whatever its source – could be a good thing. Diana had used it to help keep a dangerous item out of the hands of bad creatures, used it to destroy them.

Okay, the dogs had done most of the destroying part, but… all the same.

It was something precious. You could use magic, out here in the real world, for good. But there was one more thing that she needed to know.

“D-Diana, can I ask you something?”

“Speak your mind.”

“Who are you?” Of course, what she was really more curious about was ‘what are you?’ but that wasn’t somewhere she felt she was ready to go in their relationship just yet.

Not after what she’d just seen Diana do. Not if she might take offence at it and… what?

The other woman’s response was to look at her curiously, about as much real expression as Tara had seen her show, even when the presence of the vampires ‘offended’ her.

“Who else would I be but Diana?”

-----------------------------------

“If we’re done with the post-mortem?” Buffy asked. “I do have somewhere else to be.”

Except she wasn’t really asking, more sort of telling them.

“Now, I don’t think we should be too hasty,” Giles said. “This isn’t - ”

“Hasty, smasty. I have a date. I told you this. And we’re supposed to get let go quicker when I didn’t have to slay something,” Buffy complained. “That’s the way it’s always worked. No slaying, no reporting.”

“A date you say?” Giles asked, rather than arguing with her point.

“Parker,” Willow said. “Buffy thinks he’s dreamy.”

“I didn’t say ‘dreamy’,” Buffy countered, irked at her for explaining what hadn’t been said in confidence. “I just said that maybe he was… the sort of guy you might cast in a TV show if you wanted to cast someone who was, you know, dreamy. But I don’t cast TV shows and – why am I explaining this to all of you?”

“Because we have long and unfortunate experience of your love life forever dominating our destiny?” Xander suggested. “I’m sorry, did I say that out loud?”

“Yes, you did,” Buffy glowered.

Giles didn’t exactly nod, but he didn’t not nod either. “The Gem of Amara is something that’s really quite serious, if it’s real then it could be - ”

“There’s no Gem. The Gem, if it was there and it was ever real, is gone. There is no Spike. Spike, who was real, is gone. There’s no Harmony. She was… kind of unreal, but she’s gone too. There’s no ‘serious’ and there’s no ‘threat’. Why can’t I just – go on my date? Why are we even talking about this?”

“When you could be smooching,” Willow said with a grin, levering herself deeper into her boyfriend’s embrace. He’d killed a vampire tonight – for her – and was there any greater sign of affection than that?

Actually yes, but it was a shiny, new one.

“It was a total bust,” Buffy said, throwing herself with all the grace of a Slayer over the back of Giles’ couch and stealing Willow’s spot by dropping right into it. That was okay though, she didn’t need it anymore.

“And not in a good, photogenic, way either,” Xander added. “Did I say that out loud too?”

No one answered him this time.

“Kinda got boobs on my mind, cos I’m a guy. We do that. We like of the boobs.”

“Xander, please.”

“Just saying… No one would hold it against me if I was - ”

“Xander,” Buffy said after Giles had already tried. “I want to have a date. I do. I want to go have my date. I want to get out of here. We can overanalyse not killing Spike some other time and I think we can all agree that paying this much attention to Harmony is out of all proportion to the vampire that she became. Not to say anything about the girl she used to be, but as a vampire… kinda pathetic.”

“Hey!” Willow objected.

“Doesn’t say anything about you, Will,” Buffy said. “She took you by surprise is all.”

“Damn straight she did.”

“So. Please. Can we call this a night?”

“I suppose so,” Giles sighed. “It’s not like I can tell you what to do anymore.”

“Really?”

“You’re old enough to make your own mistakes now,” he said.

“But he’s not saying Parker’s a mistake,” Willow interjected. “Because we wouldn’t judge.”

“We suppose,” Xander said. “And we estimate and sometimes draw conclusions. But we rarely judge.”

“Ha, ha, guys. Look, if you’re all good then… toodles.”

Waving and calling their goodbyes, Buffy left them there and there was one of those moments that seemed to becoming more common. Like… what now? Used to be they’d always known ‘what now’. There’d always been something to do back in the old library. Big bads to read up on. Homework to be done. Just sheer reading for the… Yeah, she’d been a book worm. What of it?

“Guess I should maybe get out of here too,” Xander said.

“What, you got a date too?” Willow laughed. Just from his reaction, those guilty looks on his face and talk about boobs… “Oh my God, you do. You have a date.”

“I don’t think we’re calling it a ‘date’, you know, if you want to get technical,” Xander said.

“How’s that now?” Oz asked.

“Well, ‘date’ kind of implies going out and enjoying yourself. Or, cooking a meal and enjoying it at home – not that I’d want to try that down in the basement mansion, but…”

“What have you done? Have you abducted someone you’re keeping in your closet?” Willow asked. “Because I’ve warned you about that before. It is not cool.”

“I think…” Xander said, trailing off. “I think…”

“Oh, for God’s sake, just come out with it man,” Giles said who, true to form, had less interest in Xander’s love life than just about anything else in the universe.

“You care too?”

“Xander!”

“I think – I think I’m technically, what some people might call a ‘booty call’.”

“Say what now?” Willow asked while Giles looked confused.

Oz was just laughing. It took a lot to get him going, but once he started… there was no stopping him.

“I’m a booty call,” Xander repeated, sounding like he was getting more comfortable with the idea the more he said it.

“Who for?” Willow checked, there was something he was ashamed of and it didn’t seem to be that.

“It’s – she’s older. Promise me you won’t freak out.”

“Cordelia’s back?!”

“I said she’s older, how is Cordy older?”

“Well, she looks older,” Willow said defensively. She’d always thought that. Even when they’d been in High School, Cordy had looked like she was… twenty-five?

“No, Cordy’s not back. And why would that – no, she’s not. It’s not her and I’d really appreciate it if we could avoid all mention of her, okay? It could bring up… well, it could bring up things that I just don’t want to deal with. You know… when I’m… dating, bootying with, well, a vengeance demon. A former vengeance demon. Anya, I’m… with Anya. You just had to keep pushing didn’t you?!”

“Anya?” Giles asked. “Anyanka?”

“Anya?” Oz asked. “You dog, you.”

“Anya, the vengeance demon,” Willow said. “Let’s not forget the vengeance demon part.”

“She’s human now, remember that part?”

“You’re sleeping with a vengeance demon?” Willow challenged him again because this was not a good idea. In a life full of ideas some people might call ‘dodgy’, this one was a real doozy.

“Actually, there wasn’t all that much sleeping - ”

“You know what I mean.”

“She’s human now and she likes me so… and you can’t deny she’s hot. Oz thinks she’s hot, right, man?”

Willow looked to her boyfriend first, who was appropriately straight faced while Giles was old and a former member of the faculty at the high school. He wasn’t going to pass judgement on that either.

“So because she’s ‘hot’ you leap into bed with her – it – a vengeance demon? Do you remember the part where she tried to get her powers back? Do you remember that?” Willow asked.

“In her - ”

“It wasn’t exactly my finest hour either,” Willow admitted. “But what if Anya managed it? What if you’d got her pissed at you first? Did you think about that part – oh, no, you were thinking with your part. If you were thinking at all.”

Xander waved his finger, searching for a retort and came up with nothing.

“Will, I’m only telling you so you’ll be nice to her, okay? For me?”

“She will,” Oz said. “All of us know it but Willow. She’ll be nice.”

“You shouldn’t be speaking for me,” Willow said, but had to admit that he was probably right. She might bitch now – and later - but she only liked to think that she’d say anything much to Anya’s face.

Because she was a fricking vengeance demon, and you didn’t say those kinds of things to a vengeance demon. They probably had really long memories.

“Sorry,” she said to Oz. “Actually it’s nice that you’re saying anything at all.”

“Yeah, man,” Xander said. “You’re being kind of chatty.”

Oz smiled and slipped back into his quiet ways but it was obvious he thought they should probably look to make a move. She couldn’t stay here all night and he’d want to see her home before they parted. For a werewolf he could be remarkably gentlemanly.

It was more surprising from a guitarist.

“I can’t believe Spike’s dead,” Willow said.

“One vampire’s very much like another,” Giles said.

“Yeah, but… he was one of those you thought was going to be hanging around forever. Every time you thought he’d gone for good, back he came… I don’t know, I don’t think I’ll miss him though.”

“Well, why would you?”

“It’s like another one of those familiar things we’ve left behind. All the changes, you know? We’re at college – some of us at least. Giles doesn’t work at the school anymore. Xander’s sleeping with Anya and Spike is back but now he’s dead. All change.”

“Hold your horses there, Missy,” Xander said. “Since when did ‘I’m sleeping with anyone’ equate to a bad thing and on the same level of Spike being dead.”

“I could’ve meant it was a good thing,” Willow said weakly.

“But you weren’t.”

“He’s got you there,” Oz said. “You really weren’t.”

“Tst! Do you remember the boyfriend code, didn’t we talk about that?” she asked.

Oz turned back to Xander. “Oh. I agree with what she said.”

“Much better.”

“Ah,” Xander was in his reminiscing moods. “I remember that. The boyfriend code. There were rules for everything when I was with… Well, there were rules. Don’t stand too close. Don’t stand too far away. Don’t argue. Don’t kiss me there. Don’t stick your tongue in my… Wait, this really is too much information. By the way, it was ‘ear’ where I wasn’t supposed to stick my tongue. Ear. In case you were wondering.”

“Well, from the sounds of it, you’re looking at the ‘boy toy code’ now. Anya’s what? Thousands of years old? Think about just how many pilgrims have walked that road,” Willow said.

She could tell from Xander’s expression that she’d not so much touched a nerve as shown him that one existed. And then she’d given it a good prod for effect. Not actually what she’d been intending but now that she thought about it…

“Baby,” Oz said. “That was just… wow.”

And not in a good way, wow.

“Sorry.”

“No… no, you’re right. There may well have been… a few, more than a few,.. pilgrims. Probably not a boatload, but you know… a small rowing boat?”

Willow shook her head.

“A large rowing boat?”

“That’s maybe more like it,” she said having no real idea. For all she knew vengeance demons that looked… well, like that, didn’t do it at all. But would someone who’d gone thousands of years without… well, any, really turn to Xander Harris?

Computer says no.

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:55 pm 
5. Willowhand

Topics: 6
The idea of a whole Katharyn-verse appeals to me. I much rather have this be what's happening parallel to The Decade Long Behemoth, than actual canon. It's...nice. Before this, I thought, "Wish!Verse with all the bullshit they had to go through, vs. Season 6..." this is a much nicer option. Myself, I like to think that every W/T fic is an alternate universe. Which means I can accept both your VampWill and the one from the Master Willow series as both being canon >_>

Your Oz is great, a far cry from 'Poodle-cut and sliced'. Another dialogue heavy chapter, but like I said, love it! Perfect snark, affection, etc. A sharp contrast to Tara's solitary thoughts. Very interested to see how your vampire mythos fits in with the already established one from Buffy, or if you're doing a whole retcon.

Quote:
For a werewolf he could be remarkably gentlemanly.

It was more surprising from a guitarist.

Speaking as the resident guitarist with an affinity for canines, HEY! :\

Sorry, this made my day and now I'm hyper.

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 am 
23. Volumey Text

Heya faolan - Ha! With the length of stories I write (I thought I was being succinct in Sidestep 3!) a Katharyn-verse would be an undertaking that would demand a life's work LOL

I make no promises about ongoing niceness in this story but, you know, it's S4 T&W... kinda of hard not to make that nice. I kind of agree with you, sort of, on the every story point. I would go with every story that is rooted in canon. I mean, stories set in the wild west or space... not so much LOL

Shhh! Don't like Oz! I never meants it... honest :) Nah, you can't demonise him (yet) even if there are problems. Yes, I think the canon showed that there were early S4 issues between them but equally you have to respect the fact that Willow saw something in him and he wasn't a bad guy up until Veruca...

I am quite dialogue heavy in this story, at least in bursts. S5 will be a little more introspective in parts (when you consider the storylines there). I'm pleased the dialogue is working for you though :)

Vampire mythos. Hmm, not really a retcon. What you've heard is - of course - an opinion (though from someone who apparently should know!) however I've not really said 'what was in the show is wrong'. What I've said is more 'this is how it was seen in ancient times.' And yes, maybe Gods were the ones who opened the doors to the demon realms. Or came from them or... anything! Retcon implies answers...

No offence to guitarists :)

Thanks so much, hope you've come down a little ;)

Katharyn

PS - Who's next up in the deadpool?

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 pm 
5. Willowhand

I just remembered you disregard the later seasons, so the Dino-vamps aren't really a concern, which is great. I wanna see what you pull out of your hat, ma'am.

I have my own personal head canons for Oz and the Buffy-verse werewolf myths, because of 'Pack' and that tends to make me more lenient with him xD

The dead pool? Riley: dead or diaregarded, Parker: dead, stay true to canon, or you do something unexpected, Xander: dead, or less of an opinionated dick. Still on the fence about Ed and Anne

"Friendship is obviously magic. Love is a sorta super strong friendship. We gay people love so hard we broke 'Social Norm'. Ergo, we gay people are ultra-strong wizards."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, And another one bites the dust.. literally. LOL Okay, so despite the fact that Buffy strikes a deal with Harmony, Oz takes matters into his own hands and kills her. On the one hand, all vampires should go poof, the flip side is that Buffy is The Slayer and the scoobies need to respect her decisions. If Xander and Buffy thought he did the right thing, why would they want to hide it from Willow? This is the beginning of Oz losing control over his inner wolf regardless of the moon’s phase.

I don’t think Diana has any unrealistic expectations of Tara. She already knows Tara has power and is simply guiding Tara toward self-realization. She is most likely preparing Tara for an upcoming event: one that requires skills the Goddess doesn’t possess. Let’s just hope it isn’t a ritual sacrifice with Tara as the innocent virgin. EEP!

It’s interesting that Oz appears to be losing himself to his inner demon in a negative way while Tara is starting to realize, in direct opposition to what she was taught, her inner demon just might be a positive force.

Also interesting that Diana says, “We will see you..” as opposed to, “I will see..” For her, those aren’t just dogs following her every command. Are they even really animals?

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee while reading this.. boat load of pilgrims.. BWAHAHAHAHA.. :grin

More soon please!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Faolan - I don't so much disregard the last season (and comics) but have no idea what they contain beyond a few very broad themes. S6, yes, I disregard that utterly. Every. Single. Moment. Of. It. Up to and including musicals.

But enough of my bitterness, I have no idea what you're talking about and am happy in my ignorance :)

Werewolves... that will slip into the story for obvious reasons and you'll see a little of the mythology on that.

As for the dead pool, let me know if your thoughts change... obviously I can't comment much :D

Thanks!

Kajun - One of the many reasons I like having you around is that you come up with all this great stuff. You're like.... Mulder. (I'd like to say Scully, but it doesn't fit my point!) You have all these conspiracy theories and you know, some of them are right. Or should be! :) If only the author had thought of them!

You have me paying far more attention to Oz's motivations than I was actually doing in this case. Your logic is absolutely sound, I could just say 'aha! Yes, you see what I did there!' but... No. I hadn't thought about it that much. TBH I think Oz always had that in him. He was prone to just doing stuff when he thought he had to. Also I was never really sure he fitted into the Scooby command structure. Maybe I'm wrong, I have no examples, but in my head... I can see him just offing a vampire for touching Willow.

I like your version though. Makes me a better writer :)

As for Diana, I can't say too much but... there's a thing that can be done *cough* to deal with the whole 'innocent virgin' thing. Could it be that Willow saves the day by... Umm, probably not. But it's a nice idea, Mulder ;) That's a different kind of fic though...

----------------------
The scoobies stand around the table, faced with their latest challenge.

Giles: It would seem that to avoid the end of the world Sunnydale needs to be stripped - so to speak - of it's innocent virgins.

Anya: (Clutching Xander) - I've done my part! And he's not helping.

Buffy: I guess... Slayer strength and resilience and all... So long as there's an orderly line.

Willow: Umm, well, I guess I can pitch in. There's this girl, shy smile and... Alright, alright, I'm a lesbian! BUt I'm only doing the one. To save the world. Yeah... that's what it is.

Buffy: It's okay, Will. I got the rest. An orderly line. And mouthwash.

Willow: Where's Faith when you need her?

-------------------
See? That's a very different story :)

And your second Oz comment... Yes, Tara is realising about her 'demon' though - again - I'd not gone there with Oz. Must be my subconcious again. LOL

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 am 

I think the Harm-ette, a.k.a the Spicy one , is on to something about Oz. He really stepped on the Buffinator's toes. Her word should mean something to the rest of the Scoob's. Even if it's a promise to a Willow-bitting leech.

Lmao @ poor Xander. Many a tourist have visited that port.

Diana is an enigma. TECHNICALLY, she's providing a great public service and lightening Buffy's load. But, I just sense all sorts of badness. I mean...she would be very handy in the upcoming fight with Adam. However, once all the leeches and Vampires are dealt with, what's to stop her from deciding that the Slayer is no longer required?....OR!!!!...even worse, what if she is offended by Willow's presence in Tara's life?.......yeah, shit could go sideways....really fast.

Dead-pool : Riley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:33 am 

I think the Harm-ette, a.k.a the Spicy one , is on to something about Oz. He really stepped on the Buffinator's toes. Her word should mean something to the rest of the Scoob's. Even if it's a promise to a Willow-bitting leech.

Lmao @ poor Xander. Many a tourist have visited that port.

Diana is an enigma. TECHNICALLY, she's providing a great public service and lightening Buffy's load. But, I just sense all sorts of badness. I mean...she would be very handy in the upcoming fight with Adam. However, once all the leeches and Vampires are dealt with, what's to stop her from deciding that the Slayer is no longer required?....OR!!!!...even worse, what if she is offended by Willow's presence in Tara's life?.......yeah, shit could go sideways....really fast.

ps. If you ever decide to run with that virgin sacrifice story.....I'll be waiting :grin !

Dead-pool : Riley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:09 am 
5. Willowhand

@Oz, as a werewolf, and as a young man, it's to be expected. At that age, wolves will disregard the alphas(Buffy), start fights, and even go so far as to break off from the pack. Anyone ever notice their male dogs turning into total butts around the age of 2? Still, this is bad. He's acting more wolf.

I am also all for that virgin sacrifice fic, ma'am xD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 am 
23. Volumey Text

You're all pervs...

Grimm - I don't know, I don't remember. Did Buffy really lay the law down that way? Or did no one ever try anything like that? 10 years since last watching an episode my memory is so fuzzy I couldn't say.

As for the tourist traffic... *cough* I'm really not sure how we're supposed to see Anya. When she turned up there was this idea that - as a demon - she hadn't bothered about sex or anything. Then all those trolls etc that she dated LOL. I just picked up the ball and ran with it :)

Diana - I am not spoiling anything really when I say that she's not going to object to Tara and Willow. They have their trajectory and it's unstoppable. Fated even.

As for the virgin sacrifice story... you think Willow might miss the apocalypse in bed with Tara? LOL

Faolan - Respect will get you a long way but maybe not all THAT way :) (I mean the sacrifice fic)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER NINE - 10/08/12
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:25 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Nine
Feedback: Absolutely, yes please. That’s why I write for this place, to engage in the discussion about the story.
Spoiler warning: Not sure why I am bothering, really, but Season 4 and Season 5 of BTVS.
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to eBook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: Tara decides what to do with the Gem of Amara and that brings her into contact with a familiar face when she’s distracted and feeling down.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects goes to the original writers.
Rating: Occasional, tasteful, adult situations and contextual bad language. However by and large equivalent to the show.
Text convention: Use of italics denotes either special emphasis if used for a single or a few words in a sentence OR first person thoughts if used for a whole sentence.
Notes: So the idea of Tara not meeting Willow first was intriguing to me. That Willow might have a clue who other members of the Scooby Gang thought Tara was when they finally met was just too tempting. Also it meant that I could entwine the two sides of this story before the actual meeting which remains during what – in canon – would be Hush. Hush is just too perfect for their meeting but it’s a long time from the start of the season. So, yeah, I’ll spoil you now and tell you that’s when the two of them will finally meet up. Broadly the shape of the seasons – 4 and 5 – will follow that of the canon. (And yes, that includes when Oz leaves the scene).
Thanks to: Whoever invented places you could sit down, have a caffeinated beverage, at a table and get your laptop out before work. Glorious ideas… I must say, I might be the only writer frequenting this coffee shop. Certainly the only one drinking tea.

As plans went, this wasn’t – exactly - what anyone was going to call a ‘doozy’.

Fortunately there was no one else who knew – or wanted to – and so Tara didn’t have to worry about the judgement of others. Not this time.

Annie, after all, didn’t want to know that there were things that went bump in the night. That they were keen to rip out your throat and bleed you dry. Or that there were rings that protected those things from their weaknesses, like sunlight. Her best friend in Sunnydale didn’t want to know magic was real and certainly not that her new friend was a practitioner of those arts.

Attending Wicca Group – a feminist group baking cookies so far as Annie assumed – was as much as she’d admitted to. It wasn’t like she was hiding anything. She just wasn’t admitting to it.

And so she didn’t say anything about it. Not only was it better for Annie but it was easier too. She was good at not saying much about anything, she’d had lots of practice.

And who did that leave who might be interested in her plan? Well, she couldn’t say that she’d exactly bonded with the other members of the Wicca Group. At the last meeting some of them had been decidedly frosty towards her. That had probably been because Diana hadn’t at all concealed going out on a trip with Tara from a few days before. Those who were left in the group, those who had an inkling of what power had been displayed, had seemed to get a little jealous.

Not that she’d actually said anything about what they’d really done, killing vampires was still a little beyond the other members of the group – it was a little beyond her if the truth be told – but at the last meeting Diana had made it pretty clear that the two of them had been in contact outside of the meeting and that she was pleased with how things had gone for them.

More used to being ignored, being the centre of attention and other people being jealous of her was something that was almost entirely new to her. It just wasn’t something that happened in her experience. There was always someone else who was richer, smarter, prettier, earlier, cooler. But now… Some of those girls had looked at her with something approaching hostility.

And they were supposed to be sisters?

Some of it, she was pretty sure, was about Eliza and her little senior clique resenting Diana’s assumption of control. Anyone who was alongside her… But you’d have to say that there was a healthy undertone of attraction going on too. More than one of the girls was crushing on Diana.

Maybe they didn’t know it and maybe not in any way that they’d have to question their sexuality - or consider it ‘lesbianism’ in any way - but she could see the signs. It was easy to see when you’d looked in a mirror enough. Funny, really, when she was the only gay girl she knew still attended and she didn’t feel that attraction at all…

For a long period of the modern history of Wicca, there’d been a deserved reputation for attracting Sapphic women into the fold. Tara wasn’t about to speculate about the reasons, though she could think of several, but one entire wing of Wicca had been ‘famous’ for it and it still served as the basis for the stereotype of ‘lesbian witches.’

Since she was – unarguably – a lesbian witch (albeit a strictly theoretical one) Tara felt she was in a good position to counter the assumptions. She’d never once danced naked, at least not outside of the privacy of her own bedroom, and certainly she didn’t see any attraction to doing that around fires in the middle of the woods at night or whatever…

All the same… There were some girls here in this growing group that were definitely into Diana – even innocently - and their de-facto leader seemed completely oblivious to it. Which just made them even keener and even more likely to resent anyone who did actually get some spend time with her outside the group.

So that was Diana. But Tara hadn’t only had Diana and the group to think about.

She hadn’t been able to let the ring that the other woman had given her out of her sight since the night she’d received it. Not because it meant anything to her – except as a source of wariness and no little fear after dark – but because a little research and a few assumptions had shown what happened each time the ring, or one like it, had been exposed to the use of vampires…

Okay, so sometimes she’d been reading between the lines – explicit accounts weren’t the sort of books the college library had in stock – but it didn’t take much looking to find these references. Vampire like attacks happening in the daytime. Fires breaking out – in the day – which might be vampires removing their rivals while they were vulnerable.

All in all bad things could happen.

That wasn’t something she wanted to risk while she was responsible for the latest gem to surface. She had considered asking Diana to help her find a way to destroy it but…

No. That might seem like she was ungrateful – which she wasn’t – rather than nervous – which she definitely was.

So she’d come up with a better plan.

Or at least she’d thought it was better.

Now that she was actually going to carry it out, she was a little warier and more reluctant. It wasn’t the ‘doing’ that was bothering her, more the talking and the explanations that would be required to make sure that no one thought she was the bad guy. That wouldn’t be good, not when she was trying to do the right thing.

It always helped, but planning what to say and actually saying it were entirely different things and the more nervous she was the less likely she was to get through the necessary words coherently.

Daddy would’ve told her she was putting herself down - he’d been telling her for years that her speech wasn’t as bad as she thought it was - but more that she should just buck her ideas up. Put her mind to it and she’d be fine.

Didn’t often work that way, she was the one who was so conscious of it that she preferred to say nothing at all than say the wrong thing and badly.

“Uh – he-hello?” Great start… Not what the plan had called for.

The young woman at the library desk didn’t look up.

“Umm, hello?” Tara tried a little bolder this time, and yes… it did help.

When the blonde girl looked up, Tara wasn’t sure she had the right person at all. She’d only seen the – so-called – Slayer from a distance and it struck her that a ‘Slayer’ probably wasn’t supposed to have puffy, red eyes that kind of looked like she’d been crying and rubbing them.

Probably a Slayer could turn the pages of a library book a little more often than this girl had managed while Tara had been moving back and forth, wondering if she was really ready to make contact too.

Or… was she still just a girl, even if she was some kind of vampire killing superhero?

The look the girl gave her was was very much ‘who me?’ She recognised that kind of surprise, she was used to it herself.

“Hi,” she tried again. “I was just - Are-are you okay?”

“Sorry, have we met? If we have – I’m sorry. I’m not good with names, or faces really and I can’t – Everything, new college and everything really…”

“N-No,” Tara said, “you just seemed upset. I thought…”

The ring was clasped in her hand but right now compassion for someone she didn’t even know seized her more than the need to get rid of it. What was she supposed to do, ignore the obvious and just put the ring in her hand? Give her something else to worry about? That didn’t seem very fair.

“Kinda obvious, huh?”

Tara gestured to her eyes with a little smile. “If you were wearing makeup, you’d have racoon eyes.”

“Oh God, I forgot makeup…? I must look -”

“No! You look fine,” Tara said, that hadn’t been what she meant at all. “I was – I j-just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“That’s nice of you. I’m fine – wait, no I’m not. Can I ask you something?”

“Sh-sure,” Tara said, realising she didn’t even know the girl’s name. Just that she was a Slayer of vampires. Maybe. So long as she had the right person. “I – I mean, my name’s Tara.”

“Buffy, though you can just call me ‘stupid-weepy-easy’ girl if you like.”

“Umm, perhaps I’ll stick with Buffy. It sounds better,” Tara said, kind of guessing what the problem might be from those three words.

“It was a guy.”

“What was?”

“That turned me, me, into a weepy mess. I should be mad at him, you know. I should just be mad. I should be like, eff-you for doing this to me but I’m not, I’m sitting here wondering about what I did wrong. Why he doesn’t like me enough to call me and why he doesn’t want to be with me. How screwed up is that, huh?”

Now she was feeling like she was completely out of her depth. Doubly so. Both when it came to guys she wasn’t related to – though Donny could be kind of a dick by anyone’s standards – and also about relationships. She didn’t really think she was qualified to comment on the specifics but… “I-If you want to hear what I think then…” she shook her head, lapsing back into safe silence.

“Please, I mean… It couldn’t be any worse than hearing what my friends will have to say. They’ll be all disappointed in me and then they’ll try to be supportive, but at the end of the day it’ll just be another Buffy relationship disaster because, you know, this totally isn’t the first time – but actually, no one’s dead so bright side there… You should probably say something, before I run too far off at the mouth.”

People died when this girl had a bad relationship?

It kind of sounded like an obvious reason to… maybe find faith and take holy orders. Nuns didn’t have to deal with that sort of thing.

“Your friends are probably right. Maybe it- Maybe it’s really not as bad as it seems right now?”

“Tried that one,” Buffy said. “Not quite working for me. Any pearls of wisdom about dealing with guys and getting them to like you? That’s where I am right now. I’ll deal with all the rest once I convince myself he really doesn’t want me.”

“It’s not really something I’ve ever thought about,” Tara admitted without getting into the reasons why.

“Okay, so how about helping me decide what’s wrong with me? Being as you’re here?”

“You don’t want to hear it right now,” Tara said. “But there’s nothing wrong with you. You’re pretty and you must be smart to get into college - ”

“That was a close one,” Buffy said, forcing a bitter laugh despite her upset.

“But you’re here. Just because someone treated you badly - ”

“I can’t stop thinking that it must be my fault,” Buffy said, cutting her off. “Something I said, something I did. Something I didn’t do. Otherwise, why wouldn’t he call? I mean, when I started hassling him to talk to me I can understand why that would make him say he didn’t want to see me – I was all needy and desperate and that’s not attractive in a girl, but it had to be something that I did in the beginning that made him change his mind, right?”

Tara shook her head. “I don’t even know you and I’d be willing to bet that it wasn’t. Don’t think I’d lose either.”

“Cos all men are pigs?” Buffy wondered.

“No, they’re really not. But men like that one… sounds kind of porcine to me.”

“Por-what?”

“Like a pig,” Tara explained.

Buffy sighed. “He’s not, really… He’s - ”

“I-I don’t think there’s much I can say to you right now,” she guessed. “Not that’d be much help anyway. But… I think you should go see your friends. They might know how to cheer you up better than I can.”

“I don’t want to be cheered up. I want… I want Parker to want me.”

“M-Maybe there’s something else you want,” Tara said, reaching out across the table, hand closed around the ring, offering it to Buffy.

“You don’t even know me.”

“No, but… I think you can look after this better than I can.” She took Buffy’s hand in hers and then deposited the ring into it.

“What’s this?”

------------------------

“Well, well, well… Do say hello to the Gem of Amara.”

Willow peered over Giles’ shoulder as he examined the ring under a magnifying glass. “Hello.”

“Doesn’t look like much,” Buffy said. “Anyone who bought me a ring like that…”

In spite of being Buffy’s friend, she still sighed. She knew all too well from the quavering voice that they were about to get into another bout of moping. Buffy was taking this hard. Too hard?

Some of the things that had happened with Angel had been crushing, but now that she’d had a shot at normal it seemed like more of the normal side of an eighteen year old girl were on display too. She wasn’t Slayer when she was just into ‘some guy.’

This wasn’t super-Buffy. This was teenage Buffy and she was a lot more vulnerable than her alter-ego.

“Don’t think about Mr Poopy-Head-Parker,” Willow said, drawing Buffy away and over to the couch.

“Absolutely, we should be thinking about this,” Giles said, only for Willow to glare at him. “While, of course, having total sympathy for your plight and all. The boy sounds like quite the cad.”

“Oh yes, he was a cad…” The dreamy way Buffy said it made it seem like a good thing.

“What about this girl who brought it to you?” Willow asked. “What was she like, was she even a girl?”

“Girl. Check. Pretty sure she was definitely a girl. She had the hair, the boobs, the skirt and… I think she was wearing those boots, you know, Doc Martens?”

“Could be a clue,” Willow said, it wasn’t like every other person wore those. If she saw someone like that, maybe she’d spot it and pay extra attention.

“Only if my having a pair up in my closet counts,” Giles said. “Not everyone has to go for sneakers or heels and by the way… who sneaks in sneakers? They’re trainers, possibly running shoes. But ‘sneakers’?”

“Now’s not the time to insult our heritage. Again. ” Willow was nodding in Buffy’s direction and anticipating a lecture on real heritage, if the ring wasn’t consuming all of his attention. Maybe he’d take the hint though?

“Parker wore sneakers the first time we met.”

Too late.

“They were red, with little white - ”

“Buffy, I know you’re hurting – but I mean, we need to be a little focused right now. Some strange girl just gave you the ultimate vampire prize and you didn’t even get her name?”

“Oh. Didn’t I say? I thought I did, she was called… Lara, yeah, Lara.”

“Lara? So you did get a name. You didn’t tell us.”

“Because she’s wallowing,” Giles said. “Oh, I’m sorry, did that slip out?”

“Yes, Mister Sensitive, it did.”

“Oh, come on. Please. I don’t want to come off as crass and – well – male, but I am one of those things and I have to say that Buffy barely knew the boy for more than a few days and now when he’s not returning her call she gets so… so… I’m going to use one of your words, Willow. Mopey. Frankly, it’s not the Buffy I thought I knew.”

Willow realised then that he probably hadn’t grasped the full extent of Buffy’s involvement with Parker which was definitely making him come off as both crass and male. For his own sake he needed to close his mouth, oh, sometime right about now would be really great.

“I slept with him,” Buffy admitted before Willow could say anything to put things a little more… delicately. She sounded like she expected to be judged for it there and then.

And Giles’ reaction was entirely predictable and English… He started cleaning his glasses. Not a word needed to be said.

“So this is the Gem,” Willow said, offering them both a way out of the corner that they’d painted themselves into. “But who was this Lara then?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy shrugged while Giles fumbled with putting his glasses back on. It was something that let him ignore the fact that he’d totally misjudged the nature of Buffy’s distress.

“But she had the Gem,” Willow insisted. “So… she was somewhere around Spike and Harmony when they were dusted – maybe she was the one who did it? Was she all buff, Buff?”

Buffy just shrugged.

“We know she’s not a Slayer,” Giles said.

“Do we? We’re not supposed to have two Slayers, remember the one girl in all the world thing? But Faith’s in that hospital bed and if she died – which would obviously be a real shame – we’d have another one. Hey, that’s a thing… has anyone checked whether Faith is - ?”

There weren’t many people in the world that she wished dead – not that were real people – but… there was one she wouldn’t shed a single tear about.

“She’s hale and hearty,” Giles said. “Considering the fact she’s not woken up. It was the first thing I checked once we heard about Spike.”

“So… Could she be something else?”

“We shouldn’t jump to the conclusion it was this girl,” Giles said. “She told Buffy what it was which meant she must’ve known.”

“She said that she wanted me to keep it safe,” Buffy said.

“Which suggests,” Willow mused, “that she didn’t think that she could – or that she didn’t want to be a target for every vampire that ever heard about it? Not to mention everyone like us who wanted to stop them from getting it.

“She’s no big bad,” Buffy said.

“I must say that I tend to agree,” Giles said. “Not even mercenary. Anyone who knew what it was knew enough that they could easily have sold this on the black market, made quite a tidy sum for it without even going near a vampire. Which raises the question of what we’re going to do with it?”

“It was left with Buffy,” Willow pointed out. There was one thing she could think that Buffy might want to do with it. One person who’d benefit from having it. It could even change a few things.

“You know what I think,” the girl herself said, confirming Willow’s suspicion.

“Oz’s going to LA soon, with the band… no one would think to try stopping him. I mean he’s Oz and they’re the Dingo’s… No one would give them a ring of terrible power. Who’d even suspect it? He could drop it off with Angel and no one need ever know it’s not here in Sunnydale anymore. At least until Angel starts walking around in the daylight.”

“He can look after himself,” Buffy said. “He’s good at that.”

For a moment Willow thought maybe Buffy meant Oz, but no. It was definitely Angel that she was talking about.

There was still undisguised regret there, at the necessary – and sensible – end of that one relationship which had really meant something. Along with the more recent one that… shouldn’t have.

“While I would agree,” Giles said, “that Angel is perhaps the only worthy recipient of the ring who might put it to good use, I feel that I do have to caution that his return to his evil ways is only a moment of happiness away.”

“That’s okay,” Buffy said. “He doesn’t get to be happy either. That’s why I’m not taking it.”

“Still… bright side,” Willow said. “It’s nearly Halloween!”

“Oh. Yay.” Buffy said, not exactly enthusiastic and it was no use looking at the Brit who didn’t even celebrate the most candy filled of holidays.

“Just a little bit of yay, that’d be good…” she said.

“And will you be dressing as a lady of the night once again?” Giles asked.

She gave him an evil look.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER NINE - 10/08/12
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am 

Hmmmmmm, so Buffy meets Tara first. Willow hid her friendship with Tara from the Scoobies for many, many moons. So, how will that affect Willow and Tara's on the down low courtship *when we get to it*?

I got a big kick outta the Wicca group hating on Tara for being Diana's sidekick. Lots of straight girl crushes on Lady Tarzan...lol

Buffy is so fricking self-absorbed. Although Faith was screwed up in her on right, I always preferred her character to Buffy's because she annoyed me to no end. Ditto to the 5th power for Dawn.

Maybe Eddie can be the guy to swoop in and pick-up the pieces. Otherwise, it's 6 day old, stale- bread Riley to the rescue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hey Grimm :)

This time around Willow won't be the first to meet Tara, as we'll see, but as of chapter 40+ (which I just redrafted today) the Scoobies still won't know how deep their relationship runs... Of course we've not had (I was about to say 'Hush' because I've been referring to Hush alot, but I mean New Moon Rising!) by that chapter either. 40+ is just around the time of This Year's Girl and Who are you?

So... 'when we get to it' is a while yet LOL. But they'll be together much sooner than that.

You gotta love straight girl crushes really, they're just so much fun to play with. Umm, okay... possibly that was a Willow moment :)

I think, maybe, you're being a little harsh on Buffy here. Fair enough, I've not shown you much Buffy yet and you're looking at the rest of the season(s) but at least this time she had recent cause, she'd just been dumped by Parker. Or not even dumped... Come back to me if she's still that way later!

I referred above to S4 Faith's episodes. It will surprise no one that we get to see her in those episodes so it's interesting what you just said there about her. Yes, I preferred Faith to Buffy too. But I like brunette's, bad girls and leather pants and tanks on someone who knows how to wear them so... I'm biased! It's weird, you know. I spent a long time writing Faith (or people named after her that picked up many of her characteristics + sanity) partly because Buffy annoyed me. But I am actually having some fun with Buffy this time around.

Dawn... SHUDDER. Make of that what you will...

And you may want to remember that comment much further down the line :)

There, I feel like I teased for the first time. Yay me :)

Thanks so much

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, I loved your mini alt-story, LOL. And Faith was the slutty one on the show? That was priceless –thanks! Now to the update..

Hmmm.. so the group is growing and Diana is poking them with a stick. LOL Did she realize the wannabes would become jealous of Tara spending time with her outside the meetings? My guess is yes, but, I don’t think she wanted any hostile attention drawn to Tara. It helps to separate the wheat from the chafe. True believers would be happy for their “sister”. She acknowledges Tara; something the other girls have been unwilling to do. This is good for building Tara’s self-esteem. Every leader should nurture those who follow them.

I like that Tara didn’t have deep words of wisdom for Buffy. It was true to her character that she showed compassion but, beyond that, her experience dealing with romantic relationships is limited if not entirely nonexistent. She did make several good points though. Piggy Parker porked Buffy now she’s the one squealing. LOL

Would Buffy’s spidey-senses have tingled (in a good way) when meeting Tara were it not for her weepy emotion state? Diana must sense Tara’s power but she is probably much more in tune with her instincts as a hunter and goddess. Buffy’s desire for a normal life suppresses her Slayer powers. Walsh: case in point. So blinded by Riley’s big arms that Buffy didn’t see the Professor for what she really was.. a fishwife. LOL Anyhoo.. I’m with Grimm and intrigued with how Buffy meeting Tara first changes things. Of course.. the scoobies think her name is Lara so it wouldn’t be too difficult for Willow to keep a budding relationship with Tara secret. Not assuming anything here though!

Excellent update!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 pm 
5. Willowhand

Woah. Finally get myself an internet connection in my shitty college apartment and this is waiting for me! So fricking happy you have no idea.

I'm laughing my ass off, for the most part because from the Scoobies' point of view, the handing over the jewel thing was so fucking random, and isn't it just so Sunnydale for that to happen?

I like that Buffy didn't remember Tara's name, not because she's like every other girl on campus, but because she was genuinely distressed and distracted at the time. We play it off for laughs, but imagine how fucked up her situation is, to a 18/19 year old girl who had never experienced this before. Still, I have hope, and your Buffy still very much feels like the Buffy who said, "There's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay." with conviction in her voice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Kajun - Hey :)

Ah, the mini-story. I can see that will be hung around my neck like an albatross. Or a feather boa... Was Faith the slutty one? Well, I choose to look at it this way. There was a girl who was confident in her sexuality, young, unafraid of consequences and pretty self-involved. "Slutty" is actually not a charge I'd level at her (or anyone). Though Willow and co would...

The Wicca group is certainly larger than it was at it's smallest. And the people it attracted are actually into the magic or at least the meditative side... I won't get into motivation though. Not yet.

I'm pleased you saw Tara's side in the conversation with Buffy. I don't think she would get all 'It's darkest before d/Dawn' and spouting platitudes when she didn't have the experience herself. I just can't see her doing that so I couldn't write it.

Do you think that Buffy's spidey-sence SHOULD trigger on Tara? I guess it depends what does trigger it... I think if Tara knew about it she'd WORRY about it (demon and all), but I'm not sure Buffy would really have been triggering off her. So I guess I'm not sure, it's not something I thought about. Buffy - Parker aside - is in a better place in this version of the season than in canon so... I guess the answer ay be no. You'll see how some of that plays out.

faolan - Ha! When I went to college we didn't even have internet connections except in computer labs... Dating myself now. And not in a good way! But happy if this gives you a happy :)

There's a theme that runs through this fic that you've picked up on in your feedback. 'This is Sunnydale' will come up over and over again when they're deciding what to do or what might happen. And yeah, the randomness of the ring is - I suppose - the flip side of the girls not being at the centre of everything that happens in town (thus we don't see it all) but in this case Buffy isn't at the centre of getting the ring. Things don't always need an adventure.

I figured you might have some more Buffy empathy... And yeah, I'm not being that harsh on Buffy yet. I have sympathy over the Parker thing - even if the others get tired of hearing about him. And yeah, you can be pretty much assured that this Buffy sees nothing wrong with being gay. That won't be Willow's worry at all and not what stops her admitting about Tara... Also - for Willow - I never liked running with angst about coming out. I've written plenty of (non T/W) stuff that covers that, but I just like the idea that it's so far from being an issue for her... Tara too, actually. Of all the things Tara's Dad has issues with, gayness is bottom of the list.

Thanks for being thrilled :)

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TEN - 10/11/12
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:40 pm 
23. Volumey Text

Title: Tara and Willow – Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda – Chapter Ten
Distribution: This story was written for Pens. Pens is its home. No archiving off Different Coloured Pens and the Kitten Board please. No conversion to ebook or other formats please. Enjoy it here.
Summary: It’s Halloween and things are going a little differently. Buffy and Willow deal with Parker. Tara makes a discovery about Diana.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the copyrights or anything else associated with BTVS. All rights lie with the production company, writers etc. I am making no money from this series of stories however all original characters and situations remain my property. As this is a missing scenes and alternate reality fiction lots of scenes are new versions of those seen in the show, as such dialogue and situations are taken from the show. I’m sure you can tell which. All credit for those aspects go to the original writers.
Notes: Originally the two scenes in this part were the other way around, but I came to think that the Tara scene had the more powerful ending.
So, out of the blue, just from something Tara thought in the last part, I realised that there was something I simply had to do. So even though I was supposed to be writing the ending of the entire story, I broke away to write a little scene that now forms Chapter One of the story – witches dancing naked around the fire. It’s one of those things that you can just do when you’re dealing with lesbian witches and slot in almost anywhere. Even then I never thought it would form the opening of the story. But this is why the redraft process adds lots of words. Even without this I’m still adding 1500 words a day, just in pure redraft.
Thanks to: The people who work to tell us what’s really happening instead of what passes for journalism these days – the easiest, cheapest and most politically agreeable ‘news’. Why? Can’t remember, but something was happening the day I wrote this 

Willow popped another eyeball into her mouth while she listened to the wail of the Dingos. You wouldn’t think it, but eyeballs really were delicious when they’d been soaking in the – not entirely non-alcoholic – punch for several hours. Someone had evidently chosen to liven it up. Knowing them as she did, her money was on someone in the band.

All the members had been a little, well, different since they’d come back from LA. Playing gigs out there – and the small matter of delivering a really rare and precious ring to a vampire with a soul – seemed to have changed them.

Of course only Oz had taken care of the last part, but they were all… It was like they weren’t just Sunnydale anymore. Or that Sunnydale wasn’t big enough to contain them, maybe that was it.

They had their eyes on the prize now. The prize was obviously a deal and that would be in the city, where they could play somewhere bigger – and better paying - than the Bronze – every night if they wanted to.

Where Halloween haunted house parties weren’t the extent of their ‘special invitation’ gigs.

Most likely there were groupies out there in the city too. Groupies who weren’t in High School which, now they’d all graduated, was one of those things that would make everyone a lot more comfortable.

I wasn’t a groupie.

What all that meant for the future though – her and Oz’s future - she wasn’t quite sure. But they’d work it out. Sunnydale wasn’t all that was on her horizon either and she didn’t think there was much chance that Oz was going to seriously think about blowing college off for a chance at something that would still be there later.

Right?

Besides, if the guys could start to realise their dreams by having a weekend away in LA then… That’d be cool. All they had to do was learn to get out of bed in time to make the drive. It’d be tough, but they were up to the challenge. Otherwise they probably deserve a deal anyway.

Another eyeball. She could just munch these things all night.

As Halloween parties went, this was pretty cool too. There was good music, a great sound system – thank the science girl for the help with that after a debate between the science of acoustics and the band’s pure instinct which she’d won – and, yes, there was some liquor in the punch. The peeled grapes did feel like eyeballs and she was pretty sure she had fake cobweb in her hair, but she couldn’t quite seem to care.

This year she was Joan of Arc and nothing she was wearing was too short, too revealing or – lets face it – too slutty. Most important, Halloween wasn’t turning into a crisis. Maybe, for once, this was just what it was supposed to be. The night that all the demons and ghouls and bad guys took off. A holiday for the big-bads. The one time of the year when everyone was supposed to be able to enjoy themselves, or just chill.

But then, that wasn’t true was it. Not all the demons were taking it off. And not everyone had managed to avoid being slutty.

Stood beside her, holding the bowl of grapes they were both dipping into, was Anya. Anya who wasn’t supposed to have been here. Anya who’d just decided on a whim to accompany her boy-toy. Probably just to make her night… that little bit less special.

Anya who’d thrown her costume together in about thirty seconds and managed to make a toga look slutty. Of course it was no help that she was frickin gorgeous and obviously had never had to worry about an ounce of fat in the wrong place or – apparently – brassieres.

Oh, and Anya who never shut up…

It was no wonder her mind went other places, it wanted to disconnect itself from her ears.

“So I said to Xander that he really needed to get himself on the careers ladder. An important consideration for any couple is financial stability. Did you know that nearly fifty percent of problems with male sexual potency can be linked back to concerns about financial well being?”

Willow groaned, but Anya didn’t seem to realise the difference between that and a ‘No. No more. Please, I beg of you no more.’

“Not that Xander has any problems in that regard, he’s still very potent but we have to look to the future. Keeping him that way is something we have to start planning for now, not later, when it might be too late.”

This time she whimpered, she couldn’t help it. Where was Xander? Why had he left her alone with this… this… ex-demon who was very much meriting a slaying if only someone would stab her in the heart. Give it much longer and she might not even have to wait for Buffy. Oz had shown the way, by dusting Harmony. Would anyone hold it against her? It wasn’t like Anya was even legally a real person.

And she was still going - “ - repeatedly so. Last night - ”

“Last night, nothing,” Xander said, putting his arm around Anya and himself between the two of them.

A wise move, borne of many years of knowing her. He recognised the signs.

“But I thought - ”

“You thought that maybe we wanted to keep some things between ourselves, honey. It’s a couple thing to do.”

“And we are a couple,” Anya said proudly.

“Yes. Yes, we are… Would you like to grab us a drink?” Xander suggested. “While I talk to Willow, for just a second? Thanks…”

Eager to please Anya left them to it, but Willow knew that she’d soon be back. Too soon. “Xander!”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry…”

“No you’re not at all. You’re getting some.”

“Yup. I really am. And even in my limited experience that some is… definitely worth the downsides.”

“More like it’s because of your limited experience,” she said, forming part of that limited experience – thought in an even more limited way – she wasn’t too bothered by the unintentional comparisons. There were many things that Anya would never have that she did, no matter how hot she was.

Things like compassion. Genius level IQ. Natural red hair and the ability to know when to just shut the hell up. On balance, Willow would have all those things and Anya could have Xander.

If it had been anyone else, probably anyone else in the world, she’d have been unreservedly happy for him. As it was, she was managing ‘grudging’ and sticking with that much.

“Yeah, lets rub that in. But look at it this way, if it hadn’t been so limited then we’d both have made much more of a mistake than we actually managed to.”

“We weren’t going to talk about that again,” she reminded him. It had seemed best all around to just leave it in the past where it belonged. Like the Bangles and Speak and Spell. Something that had seemed like a good idea at the time, but… not actually.

“I know, sorry. But… it just goes to show, eventually everything works itself out. You’ve got Oz. I’ve got Anya…”

“It’s hardly the same thing.”

“It could be,” he said, sounding quite serious.

“She’s using you for sex!”

“Yeah, I know. It’s a pretty sweet deal.”

“But - ”

“Willow, have you any idea just how many guys would love to be used for sex by a hot girl who rocks a slutty-toga and is happy to deliver me drinks at a party?”

“Are you talking about me?” Anya said, handing him a drink.

“Always. Ah, Anya, where’s Willow’s drink?”

“I only have two hands now. Of course when I was a vengeance demon I could’ve manifested another but… you all seem much happier now I’ve lost my powers.”

“Not all your powers,” Xander said, threatening to make her barf.

“It’s okay,” Willow said. “I’ll go get my own.” She’d just spied Buffy and given who else had turned up to the party, she was supposing that her roommate might need some sympathetic company.

She’d have been wrong though.

“Hey, Buffy… you look… cheerful. You are cheerful aren’t you?” This wasn’t some smiling despair?

“Trying to be,” her friend said. “Isn’t that what you all wanted?”

“Well, yeah… but Mister Asshat Parker just arrived and I thought that - ”

“Really? He’s here? Where?” Ah. Buffy wasn’t coping well, or even better. She just hadn’t known.

The burst of interest wasn’t exactly the reaction she’d been hoping for. Willow could tell that, given half a chance, Buffy would be over there trying to get him to like her again. But ‘liking her’ wasn’t the problem, Parker had ‘liked her’ all the way into bed and then he hadn’t needed to anymore.

“No,” she said. “He’s not alone. Buffy, I’m sorry but he’s… with someone.”

“Who?”

“A girl…”

“He’s with a girl?”

“Yeah. A girl.”

“Maybe it’s his sister, he said she was coming to visit soon - ”

“She kind of looks Asian,” Willow said. “So… unless one of them is adopted, I’m guessing not his sister. I’m sorry.”

Of course she had to feel guilty now, because Buffy had been blissfully unaware until she’d laid it all out and now her friend looked absolutely stricken. She looked like she was desperate to be told that it was all a mistake, that it wasn’t as she’s said it. But that that was absolutely it. If they laid eyes on Parker and his latest pursuit, she’d be willing to bet that she’d be able to spot every move that he put on Buffy being played out for the new girl.

Maybe even Buffy would recognise them?

And it’d probably be the same again in just a few days, except then it’d be two girls moping over him. Having never been involved in casual sex – in fact she was struggling to think of anything that could be less casual than sex – she was stuck trying to imagine the appeal to him of doing that.

But then Buffy hadn’t signed up for that either. She’d just… jumped the gun. Kind of… Note to self. Don’t use that phrase.

“Can I tell you something, for your own good?” Willow asked.

“Is it that I should ‘just get over it’? Because I have a pointy stick and I know how to use it, just remember that.”

“No. I mean, not exactly. I was… I was thinking of something a little more practical than that.”

“I do like practical – you mean like, hitting things right?”

“Without the violence,” Willow agreed. Though if Buffy could just get to the point that she wanted to hit him that would be a good sign. No, that would be a great sign. Hitting him would mean they were past the mopey, ‘its all my fault’ phase and on to ‘what the hell is wrong with that guy?’ which was where she needed to go first in order to get to ‘Parker who?’

“Good, because I don’t think I could hit him.”

I’ll hit him for you, for doing this to my friend.

“No, we’re going to do something that’ll hit him where it hurts. Without, like I said, the actual hitting.”

Physical violence didn’t seem too out of place right now, particularly precisely aimed – smart – violence which would feature little by way of collateral damage.

A swift kick to the nuts, by any other name. And there were few people who could manage that swifter, more accurately or powerfully than Buffy. Unfortunately that wasn’t where Buffy was right now so… other steps would have to be taken.

“Willow, I don’t know if this is a good idea, I mean… what if he’s only with her because he wants to make me jealous? To teach me to stop calling, I’ve been full on stalking him for days, I shouldn’t have done that should I? Or what if she’s just a friend?”

“Yeah, well, its more likely than being his sister,” Willow said, tired not so much of Buffy as what Parker had done to Buffy. It was just that her friend wasn’t quite ready to hear ‘mwahaha, he will pay.’

She hoped Buff would back her up and go with her play… She’d never caught herself wishing this before but… this once, she could wish that Buffy was more like Faith. Then they’d definitely have seen some kick him in the nuts violence… Of course Faith would probably have used him rather than the other way around and the whole problem would’ve been moot.

“Come on,” she said, half dragging Buffy over to where Parker was hanging with the new girl.

“Hey Willow, Buffy. Great party?”

Oh, so that was his game… pretend like nothing had happened and nothing mattered. Mister Not-So-Much-Innocent-as-Cool. He was absolutely shameless. But that’d been obvious, even to someone with limited experience.

“Hi Parker,” she said, forcing it out as cheerfully as she thoughts he could manage. “Did you try the eyeballs yet?”

“Yeah, great – someone spent a lot of time peeling those grapes. Oh, this is Kelly. Kelly, this is Willow and Buffy.”

The broad smile from Kelly actually seemed genuine and she didn’t seem to mind Parker introducing her around at all. Of course, she had no reason to know what he was like yet… Probably. Did they really want to add broken-Kelly to the broken-Buffy pile?

No. No more breaking.

“Nice to meet you!” she said brightly, and it might’ve been. She looked like a nice girl for all that she was hanging out with a piece of sewage floating on the tide of a social gathering. An allusion she was going to have to remember to mention once Buffy was safely into ‘I hate that guy’.

“So what are you guys majoring in?” Kelly asked.

Since Buffy didn’t exactly seem to be up to the finer arts of conversation and was just making pleading eyes in Parker’s direction – which he was studiously ignoring by keeping his on the conversation – Willow felt that she needed to be the one to answer and did, watching for signs that she should call this off if Parker had a sudden bout of remorse…

“That’s so interesting,” Kelly said, actually sounding like she meant it.

Of course, there was a lot of that going around, ‘what’s your major’ It kind of replaced ‘when’s your birthday’ from Kindergarten as the most important question to ask anyone you’d just met.

Kelly, it turned out, was pre-med. Which made her a smart girl. Too smart to be allowed to fall for smarmy Parker. It also meant that she needed to be somewhat careful what she said under this slowly maturing plan of hers. Revenge was – the man from Fantasy Island always said – ‘a dish best served cold.’

“Isn’t the band great?” Kelly asked next, displaying a talent for never letting her mouth fail to say words for more than three seconds unless someone else was speaking and… even then.

“My boyfriend is lead guitar,” Willow said. It’d been a while since anyone had needed to be told that, but the cheap thrill of it was still there.

“Cool! What are they called?”

“Dingoes ate my baby,” Willow said, checking on Buffy who looked like she was about to apologise – and possibly beg – to Parker.

“I hope that’s the band’s name and not something that really happened to you?” Kelly joked and Willow thought, just for a moment, about playing that one… But no, there were simpler dishes to serve up in the cookery book of revenge.

Besides, she was finding it hard to hate Kelly. It wasn’t her fault she was Buffy’s replacement. It was more like her bad luck.

And Parker’s fault…

“I’ll look them up, they sell CD’s?”

“Up the front after the set, only five dollars or ten with a tee-shirt.” She pointed to her chest.

“Umm, they sell plastic armour?”

“No, sorry. The tee’s underneath.”

“Oh!”

And everyone laughed… everyone laughed for now. But soon, Mister Can’t Keep It In My Pants, soon you’ll be laughing on the other side of your face. And it’s very cold on the other side of your face…

Where no one could hear you scream.

Okay, it was just a good job she wasn’t saying all this stuff out loud, it’d really hurt the plan.

“What’s up with your friend?” Kelly asked quietly, “she seems a little down.”

“Oh,” Willow said, exaggerating her gestures. “She… got a little bad news today.”

And yes, I certainly am making this up as I go along.

“Oh, no! I’m sorry to hear that – I hope everything will be okay?”

“Oh, yes! But it’s not to worry. You’ll know, being nearly a Doctor - ”

“I’m only pre-med,” Kelly said modestly.

“Well, in that case I really hope that you don’t know as it’s kind of… embarrassing.”

Kelly looked at Buffy with what – in a facial expression store – would’ve been sold as ‘horrid fascination.’ “What? I mean… if it’s not too personal.”

“It is kind of personal, but… I figure you should hear it. What with – look, the biggest problem Buffy had was that she didn’t listen. Someone came up and told her to be careful about him and… well, now she’s had to get tested and everything and there’s a problem but not to worry, they can clear everything up with pills these days. You know, in time.”

“She and Parker…?”

“Yeah, it’s her own fault, for not listening when someone warned her,” Willow said as reasonable as she could be. “But hey, it’s only a bit of itching. Some discharge.”

“What’s that now?” Parker turned back from one of his buddies to find two and a half hostile faces. Guess who was the half?

“You! You irresponsible asshole!” Kelly shouted, drawing attention.

“What?”

“What you did to Buffy? And that other girl?”

Willow sat back to admire her handy work. This was usually far outside her area of expertise but she supposed, deep down, a girl knew when she was being played and lied to. She might not want to believe it, she might even think that was something to do with her or be impressed enough by a pretty face not to care, but all the signs and cues must’ve been there because Kelly had just turned on him like that.

She’d been ready to believe. Very ready.

“Uh, what did I do?” He seemed genuinely mystified.

“You need to get tested, until then, you need to keep it locked up.”

Willow was hoping for a face slap, but it didn’t come. Clearly Parker and Kelly hadn’t quite gotten far enough to make that a viable alternative, let alone a requirement. Lucky for her. Lucky she stormed off too.

“Tested? Kelly?! Wait?” Then he turned to her and Buffy. “What, exactly, did you say?”

“I just told her the truth, kind of. That you cause itching and discharge… She may have taken that the wrong way though.” Willow called after Kelly. “Tell your friends! Don’t be suckers!”

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Parker grabbed her arm, spinning her back to him.

Uh-oh.

Now he was in all sorts of trouble.

If she didn’t do something about it herself - and there was still the precisely aimed kick as a solution to every male problem if she needed it - then there was Oz, she heard the slight tremor in the lead guitar which would be him noticing what was going on.

But what Parker really needed to worry about was…

Buffy grabbed him, spinning him backwards. “Get your hands off my friend.”

“You crazy bitch! Both of you, you can’t just go around telling girls I gave you… What did you tell her I gave her?”

Buffy turned to her. “You know, this isn’t exactly great for my reputation either, Will.”

She shrugged, feeling herself blush. “It was the best I could come up with at the time. And it worked didn’t it?”

“We had our fun and now you can’t let it go, is that it? I didn’t think you were so clingy and needy,” Parker mocked.

“Do you really want me to show you needy?” Buffy said, grabbing his shoulders and holding him in just the right place for the vital blow.

“That’s spelt with a ‘K’, Buffy,” she pointed out. Punning was fine, but you had to keep things kinda accurate.

“I know that, Will. We’re in college now.”

“But you’re behaving like a child,” Parker accused, missing the reference entirely. He’d get it soon enough though.

Willow was wincing even before he realised what was happening and Buffy’s knee was… well, it couldn’t have been a full slayer strength strike. She’d seen what both Buffy and Faith had done to a two-by-four in just such a move. The boy would’ve been singing falsetto for life. Unrecoverable destruction… All the same… Ouch.

“More childish than you?” Buffy said, looking down at him.

He just groaned and rolled around on the floor.

“See, I should have done that three times. Once for what you did for me. Once for what you were about to do to that nice girl and once for putting your hand on Willow. Actually, I think it was really mature of me to just let it go at one. Come on, Will.”

“Hold on,” she said, squatting down beside Parker who was holding himself protectively, afraid she was about to follow up. And she was, but not that way. “Hi, Parker. If you think that hurts, wait until you see what I can do.

“If I so much as hear that you’ve been treating girls like you treated Buffy, I’m gonna take control of your emails and I’m going to let everyone know what we told Kelly. I’m going to get pictures, medical websites have that sort of thing and I’m going to send them to everyone you know, friends, family, your Mom.”

He groaned again, possibly a denial.

“Have your fun,” she said. “Fine, but don’t you lie to them, don’t you lead them on. Every single one of them deserves better than that. They deserve better than you

“Buffy…” he said, reaching out a hand towards her. “I’m - ”

“So not interested,” Buffy completed. “Hey, Will, want to go check out upstairs?”

“Sure.” She patted Parker on the head and the pair of them took a small bow in front of the assembled crowd, looking on in a mixture of horror and knowing satisfaction – largely depending on their gender. “Be a good boy. And next time a girl knees you in the nuts, try not to spill the good punch. It’s a waste.”

“What did you say to him?” Buffy asked as they left the room. Oz and the boys were in mid-set, but it wasn’t anything she hadn’t heard dozens of times before and she didn’t mind leaving them to it.

“I told him I’d send pictures to his Mom,” Willow said. She was pretty happy with that too.

“Of my imaginary STD?” Buffy asked.

“Of his imaginary STD, technically. And not to be icky after the fact, but it may not be totally imagin – never mind. It’d be unpleasant work, looking it up, but definitely the sort of thing that’s out there on the net.”

“And you know this because…?”

“I spend too long online, this is true,” she admitted.

“But did you have to give it to me?”

“Well… I have a boyfriend. He’s in the band. I couldn’t say I’d gotten it…”

“Well, I guess I can rule out anyone from this party as my next boyfriend,” Buffy said, looking around.

“I think kneeing him in the nuts probably achieved that, they won’t even be thinking about your STD.”

“That makes me feel much better.”

“It’s what friends are for.”

-------------------

“You’re supposed to dress up,” Tara said.

“As what?”

“A-As… whatever you want. It’s the one time a year where you get to go out, dressed however you like and no one says a word about it. It’s actually expected. It’s… It’s nice to go out that way.”

Didn’t they even have Halloween wherever Diana was from?

“A custom of some curiosity.”

“Not really…” Tara said. Having grown up with it, one night a year where being a demon or a witch wasn’t a bad thing, she was actually quite invested in the idea.

“And you’re dressed as what?” Diana asked, looking her over.

“C-Clyde,” Tara said.

Diana looked blank.

“You know, Bonnie and Clyde. Annie’s going as Bonnie.”

“So you affect a man’s clothing?” Diana looked at her as if she was practically bonkers, even though every time Tara had seen her she’d been wearing that same, short, tunic which looked like it should’ve given everything away if she even breathed the wrong way. But somehow it didn’t. The wind never caught it. No matter how she moved it was just long enough.

“Well, yeah.”

She’d turned to the old thrift store suit and hat as soon as Annie had revealed her flapper dress. Most likely Bonnie and Clyde never went out this way, but it was practically expected as the ‘uniform’. That it was a man’s suit was in no doubt, but equally it was cut… just right. A little baggier around the crotch than she’d need, but just about right up top. A little work with a needle and thread and… perfect.

“And the weapon?”

“It’s a toy,” she explained. “Do you know who Bonnie and Clyde were?”

Blank…

“Famous outlaws, they were pursued and hunted, until they were caught and their car was riddled with b-bullets.”

“Ah, so you would celebrate their deaths?”

“Actually, it just seemed like a good use of the costumes, plus Annie said I could rock a suit.” Especially once she’d fastened her hair back and put on the hat.

That had been a big deal. No one had told her that she ‘rocked’ anything before. Not clothes, not musically, not even the Kasbah.

“It fits you well,” Diana said after some consideration.

Which might be as close as she was going to get to a compliment from her. “Th-Thank you.”

“It was by your hand that the ring was delivered to the Slayer?” Diana asked, completely changing the subject and catching her by surprise.

Walking through the halls of the college, where no one ever seemed to question the woman’s presence, even barefoot, Diana had asked her to come with her and she could do no less than she was asked.

“I-I hope that’s alright?” Tara said. Maybe it actually hadn’t been hers to give away, even though Diana had left it in her custody.

“A wise decision. You had no way to destroy it.”

Not that the thought hadn’t crossed her mind, but she’d never been much of a destroyer. Destruction had – thankfully – been almost entirely absent from her life.

“You still have questions, Tara Maclay.”

She nodded, that was certainly true. “M-more than I know how to ask.”

“Then start at the beginning.”

“This place,” Tara said, gesturing around but meaning much wider than the college building or even the campus. “Is it what brought you here? Or was it us?”

“Us?”

“The Wicca Group.”

“What is it you think I am, Tara?”

“I d-don’t know, but you’re not a student. You’re not on the faculty. You came here and if you weren’t doing good things, protecting us, then I – I guess I’d be more worried. This place is… different. The whole town.”

“You have the right of it on that, at least.”

Which part? All of it… or some element, like not being a student. Or about the town?

No one stopped or halted Diana for not having ID – or shoes – though. No one questioned her presence at all. So long as she wasn’t with the dogs – an obvious no-no here on campus except for service dogs – then everyone pretty much left her alone to do what she wanted…

Whatever that was?

And that was another thing, she had no idea how Diana spent her days and nights when she wasn’t with the Wicca Group, or her. Most of her time, in fact.

So she asked the question. “I’m not a student, in that you are correct. Nor a teacher. Likely I do not have the patience.”

“But you protect us, right?”

“I do not have patience for those who would harm those that belong to me, either,” Diana said.

Belong to you?

“This place, it’s no coincidence,” Tara said. “I came here, you do… Magic is easier here, isn’t it?” Earlier today she and Annie had been at a frat house all dressed up for Halloween and she’d been able to feel – for no other reason than proximity – when someone accidentally invoked a summoning circle, calling a demon to the house.

It shouldn’t have been possible, it should’ve taken power and rituals and arcane knowledge… All it had taken here in Sunnydale was a library book and the slip of the hand. Luckily her boot had been adequate to the job of dealing with a problem on the scale of Gachnar. In pumps it would’ve been much messier and she might’ve had to throw them away. She’d just scrapped him off on the step though and the boots had been as good as new.

“It is the gateway to the underworld,” Diana admitted. “The powers of that realm cannot be contained entirely, not so close as we are.”

“And… who are you?”

“I have already given you my name, I am Diana.”

“But Is that your real name?” she wondered. Some of the things the ‘woman’ said, some of things she seemed to have experienced in her – seemingly – young life…

“I’ve had many,” Diana told her. “This is true, but you ought to know me by the one I have given you.”

“Would you give me another?” Tara had the wonderful/awful feeling that she’d never been lied to, that she’d been told only the truth and when you stacked up all of those things…

“I’m known by one other, above all others, this is also true.”

She knows that I know, she just wants me to accept it. To believe it.

“Artemis,” Tara said. “You were known as Artemis.”

“My own name, one that has almost gone from the world except in myth, but your kind honour me with the names of your children to this day. So, I am content to be Diana.”

She was claiming to be…

She was claiming to be a Goddess.

No.

She was the Goddess.

Chance in *Chance*

Post subject: Re: Coulda. Woulda. Shoulda - CHAPTER TEN - 10/11/12
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:23 pm 
5. Willowhand

Quote:
Luckily her boot had been adequate to the job of dealing with a problem on the scale of Gachnar. In pumps it would’ve been much messier and she might’ve had to throw them away. She’d just scrapped him off on the step though and the boots had been as good as new.

And the Tara demon kill tally starts early this season, ladies and gents! That's 1 so far, rather than the demon biker in Season Sux. Will CWS Tara catch up to her Sidestep alter's kill count? Wait and see!

Glad to see theories are being confirmed, etc. Can't wait to see more. Mm, Tara in a suit. Yummy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Katharyn, HeeHee.. this was so much fun --Willow contemplating turning into an Ex-Demon Slayer then trying to convince Xander being a boy toy was a bad thing. LOL

Quote:
But no, there were simpler dishes to serve up in the cookery book of revenge.

I just love that line.

Cheers for Buffy putting Parker in his place.. groveling on the floor in pain. I wouldn’t envy Willow’s task of following up on her threat if it became necessary. Ewwwww. LOL He should consider himself lucky it wasn’t Anya giving him the low-down on how she dealt with trolls!

Tara squashed the tiny Demon.. love that.. nice twist on canon. She seemed pretty cool about the whole icky goo on her shoe. :grin

I love that Diana and Tara are spending time together. You can convince yourself it’s too fantastical to be true until the words are spoken. Lady Tarzan gave Tara time to figure it out on her own. Cue music: The Truth Is Out There. Tara is handling herself really well considering she’s in the presence of a REAL Goddess. I don’t know what else to say but.. HELL YEAH!!!

Oh wait.. I do.. if it turns out Diana AKA Artemis is into identity theft and she’s actually Ben & Glory I’m gonna be pissed! LOL Yup.. I’m more Mulder than Scully. :D

LOVE IT!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 pm 

So, Lady Tarzan really is the Goddess of the hunt. Will Apollo, Zeus or any of the other Gods be making a cameo?

Lmao @ Buffy kicking Parker in the piss pump. But, I would have been mortified by Willow's story telling...lol..I guess sometimes the ends really do justify the means.

Buck-naked fire dancing, fillet-o-Spike, Virgin-protecting Goddess'....This just keeps getting better and better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 pm 

Ps. My condolences :cry for the passing of the bubble-head extraodinaire, Kajun.

I know how much Harmony meant to you :devil .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am 
23. Volumey Text

Hey! Thank you all very much :)

Faolan - don't get too used to the body count. This isn't an uber Tara and Willow even though I suppose I am kind of known for it amongst readers. But, hey, Xander could've killed Gachnar!

I thought Tara in a suit might prove popular :) So... predictable.

Thanks

Kajun - There are some themes I will play with in this version of things. Willow and Anya not getting on. Anya as 'more experienced' than her boyfriend. Anya's obsession with sex and talking about it... Because, much as it might reduce their depth, it's fun :)

It's strange to me, I was more taken with the 'telling the icky lie' as revenge than the kick in the balls. On the other hand I've never kicked anyone in the balls, been around it or (obviously!) had it done so... maybe I am making more of the power of words LOL.

I like to think that Tara can handle something like Gachnar. After all, unless it's after her, there's only one demon she really has to fear.

I will tell you something that, perhaps, I shouldn't. Diana is NOT Glory. No. Not at all. And that's not me playing games. NOT Glory. Or Ben. Or any combination. No.

So, think of something else :)

Grimm - More Gods? Well, S5 will certainly feature Glorificus because I don't have the creativity to come up with a season long villain for them that's not her and still stay close to canon! Beyond that... I can say no more.

And see now you've said something - I shan't say what - that I may have to integrate... Well done! And I did - finally - get Faolan's puppy in there. Kind of... but not for a while yet.

Thanks

I just redrafted part 50 this morning which included the MKF conversation at the start of NMR. So, for those looking at estimates... there you go.

More this weekend :) Thanks all,

Katharyn

Chance in *Chance*

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:33 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Grimm wrote:
Ps. My condolences :cry for the passing of the bubble-head extraodinaire, Kajun.

I know how much Harmony meant to you :devil .

*sniff sniff* Whyyyyy? Whyyyyyyyyy??? *sniff sniff*

She loved unicorns, you know? *Waaaaaaaaa………..hiccup..*

Katharyn, I have many thoughts. Some of them even make sense. I just don’t post those. Hee Hee.. :-p

It’s already the week-end, you know? Ahem..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 37  Next