The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tara Willow
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:25 am 
Pisceswaternym posted this on Willtara. It gave me a chuckle. It can be found Here

Tara is the Goddess of compassion in Tibetan Buddhism, and the willow tree is a medicinal plant. Tara takes the form of the willow here because trees are purifiers, and this painting is about the purification of pain and suffering. It is compassion which liberates the tormented souls in the background and soothes the torment in us. It spirals out from the heart in a universal embrace of that which is in need of healing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:38 am 
I love this! When they first introduced Tara , I noted to friends of mine that Tara was a Goddess in both the Hindu and Buddhist belief systems. She's very close to my Matron Goddess, Kwan Yin, because both of them are associated with mercy and compassion. It's nice to see that I wasn't the only one to notice that.

It's also a gorgeous image.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 9:48 am 
That's really cool, Xita. That's much more interesting that the Willow/Tara cafe sign I've seen posted elsewhere. This on ehas groovy religious significance! Woo hoo!

You should seriously send this picture and the info to Joss.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 12:44 pm 
Oh, well pardon me darin if the Tara's Willow Cafe sign that I posted awhile back is just a shallow, spiritually hollow, intellectually inferior piece of crap...

Not all of us can be members of the Willow/Tara Intelligentsia.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 1:03 pm 
Why, Judy! You're so sensitive for a New Yorker!

Listen, the sign for the cafe is great - and I've seen it on many sites and I always get a kick out of it, but this thing with the Buddhism and the goddess and the medicine is, you gotta admit, REALLY DARN SPIFFY. I'm sorry to have degraded your post and to have once again shocked myself with my striking ability to fit my foot, my ENTIRE foot, directly inside my mouth. Most people lose the ability to do that trick after the age of 7 months.

I just get so excited by religious connections. I'm dancing with glee just thinking about them! Look:

signed,
Darin the theological nerd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 1:13 pm 
Hey, Darvangi! You'd love my friend, who is also a theological nerd. He's the only atheist I know who got really excited when he got his unabridged, fully annotated CDROM of the Bible. His major in school was comparative religions, and now he fixes computers for a living. He once said that if he intended to make a living from his degree, he'd have to sit on a street corner wearing a sign that says, "Will compare religions for food."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 10:53 pm 

Hey Darin, I didn't know cynical guys from Atlanta could be so spiritual! In all seriousness, it is pretty darn spiffy. I was joking. I really wasn't offended, more devastated and hurt... kidding. You can't really plumb any depths out of Tara's Willow Cafe. It's a cafe. With food. Oooh, Tara and Willow have probably EATEN food... together... in a restaurant!