The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OMWF Sing-A-Long and Megan Gogerty Tribute come to Iowa City
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:38 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

If there are any Kittens/Amberholics besides myself in Iowa who frequent here, Daydreams Comics of Iowa City is sponsoring a OMWF Sing-a-long event as well as an appearance by singer/songwriter Megan Gogerty and her band who will perform selections from her brilliant tribute album entitled "I Miss Buffy" Saturday Oct.3rd at 8 p.m. at the Englert Theatre in Iowa City.

http://www.englert.org/event_details.php?id=341

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/megangogerty

Post subject: Re: OMWF Sing-A-Long and Megan Gogerty Tribute come to Iowa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:29 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 6
Nifty- I'm in Davenport, of course, just 55 miles away, and I visit the Englert regularly to see people like Greg Brown and Alejandro Escovedo- and I visit Daydream since it is the only place to get comics for miles in any direction- and I live in Prairie Lights...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:47 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be the bearded guy wearing glasses and the Willow/Tara t-shirt.
It'll be family fun on a whole 'nother level.
And always nice to hear from another Greg Brown fan. I've been a fan of his since the early 80's when he was playing at The Mill and The Sanctuary regularly and I wasn't even old enough to get in except for my dad who was on the faculty in the Botany Dept. at U of I.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:51 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Heck, Greg's daughter Pieta used to date a friend of my son's. Or it might have been one of his other daughters. But lord, I love the song "Billy from the Hills."

And I'd be the bearded fellow wearing the Willow and Tara t-shirt! :-)

Well, the bearded bald one, anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:55 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Taralicious- did you go? I havethe poster for the show in my office now, taking it from Prairie Lights yesterday...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:01 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Dana,
I did indeed go and it was the most fun I've had since the summer of 2006 when the Buffy con I used to go to folded its tent for the last time.
Imagine the main floor of the Englert packed with around 200 Buffy fans rocking to the music of Megan Gogerty and her band The Big Bad.
They played selections from her tribute album "I Miss Buffy" including "Kinda Wish D'Hoffryn Was My Boyfriend", "The Legend of Mr. Gordo", "Lots of Xander to Love" and the title track.
Then there was a costume contest won by a hottie slutting it up as Faith.
Then came the main event of the evening as a giant screen lowered from the ceiling and "Once More With Feeling was played in all its Technicolor glory.
Exactly the same madness as with "Rocky Horror" except with "Buffy"and the crowd, myself belting out the lyrics like a sodding "American Idol" contestant, one of the sad pathetic loser contestants who knows he can't sing but sitting in a darkened room with 200 other hardcore demented fans can blend in.
The big number was Spike's rocking anthem as well as Buffy's opener, Xander and Anya's song but funnily enough the crowd hushed to listen to Amber's dulcet and mellifluous tones during her serenade to Willow.
The crowd turned ugly during Dawn's two line vocal sonnet and were hurling epithets at her during her modern dance number until Sweet came along and pacified them with his Braodway-tinged show-stopper.
"Life's a show and we all play our parts..."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:36 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Ah man, neat! When I was in Prairie Lights on Sunday, I asked the check-out lady (who looked about maybe 21 years old) if I could have the poster on the wall near the door, since the show was over. She said sure. Meantime, my wife was sort of being embarassed by it all, so I looked over to the lady and told her I was a major Buffy fan. She said "So am I- I love Willow and Tara." Hey, a soul mate!

I wish IA City was not so far away. We knew we had to come in on Sunday to pick up some stuff, so coming out on Saturday night, especially on a game day, just did not work out; that would be close to 250 miles of driving. But if you see anything in the paper about the show, let me know- I have a friend who lives just off Dodge going north from I-80, not too far past the world's largest wooden nickle. He can bring the paper in for me.