The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Willow and Tara in buffy books
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:32 pm 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Mods, please move this to the appropriate place if need be. I searched, but I couldn't find a thread for this subject. I remember at the old board, a thread that had talked about some of the Willow/Tara moments in Buffy books, but I couldn't find it.

Can anyone tell me which Buffy books have Willow and Tara moments in them?

The ones I have are: Monster Island, Chaos Bleeds, Tempted Champions, The Wisdom of War.

I found online, Blood and Fog : I don't own it, nor have I read it, but I went inside the book at Amazon.com and saw some mentions of Willow and Tara. I think this book takes place in the early Season 6. Does anyone know anything about this book or any other book, besides the ones I already have, that they might recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Anyone care to share their favorite Willow and Tara moments from any books out there?

Jen

Post subject: Re: Buffy Books: Willow and Tara
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:03 pm 
I much prefer Pens fanfic. Why pay for a book with only a mention of Willow and Tara if that when there are a huge number of excellent storis in Pens with Wilow/Tara front and center? Mainstream books (even stuff by Chris Golden) are foced to play down massively the fact that Willow and Tara are in love. Why have a blurry sketch mangled by the fax machine when you can have a beautifully realized oil canvas portrayal in Pens?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:16 pm 

I love reading fics at Pens, don't get me wrong, but I also just love to read Buffy books, in general. The mention of Willow and Tara is a bonus for me. Even if it's just a small scene, here and there, I would still love to read them.

If anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Jen

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:32 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I like reading Buffy books too, Jennpurr. My favorite, by far, was The Wisdom of War. An excellent book all around. Very powerful writing, and excellent coverage of Willow and Tara.

This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but it may help nonetheless. Do, for your own sake, stay away from These Our Actors. It's a Willow-centric book, but is terrible. There's very little Tara in it, and it's just a boring story which is poorly written.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 4:26 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Topics: 6
No question that Monster Island does the best job of showing Willow and Tara in love, especially the scene where the two girls find each other on the beach on the island. But then Chris Golden probably understands this relation as well as anyone, and being friends with Amber likely helps.

Blood and Fog was one of the better Buffy books I've read, though the W/T goodness is somewhat limited. Apocalypse Memories also offers W/T goodness.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:24 am 

SySnootles,

I've heard alot of good things about The Wisdom of War. I can't believe I haven't read it yet. I've owned it for over a year now and all it's doing is collecting dust, along with the other Buffy books it's currently occupying that are collecting dust as well.

You know, I had considered reading These Our Actors, but thanks for the heads up. I'll stay away from it now. :-D

Dana5140,

The Big Hairy Lesbian is one of the best Willow/Tara writers that I have ever seen. I just love reading his stuff. I'm looking forward to reading that beach scene. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Does Blood and Fog have Willow and Tara together in the end? Apocalypse Memories as well? I noticed what season the latter takes place in. It sounds very interesting, none-the-less.

Thanks for commenting. I'll definitely have to check those two out. ;)

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Jen

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

I agree with the above books and they are all really good but I actually liked these our actors. It was good but the ending wasnt that great. I have to agree it doesnt have loads of w/t moments but the references are actually really cute.

Mel

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:28 pm 
2. Floating Rose

i'm reading Chaos Bleeds right now, and it has quite a lot of Willow/Tara moments. the writing isn't very good on the whole though. and i agree with the Wisdom of War and Monster Island rec's. The Wisdom of War is the best buffy book i've read so far, just in terms of strong writing and plot, but i've read only about 6 or 7 of them. heh. the Lost Slayer series is interesting, but no Tara. set in Oz time. hmm. i think Tara appears in Little Things but not in depth. that's a funny story though.

edit: well I'm done with Chaos Bleeds, and FYI the Willow/Tara moments diminish largely in the second half.

Last edited by onlyhalfevil on Sun May 29, 2005 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:54 am 
I'd like to remind everyone that anything after the last few minutes of Seeing Red is off topic.

So of course any book that deals with that, is also off topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:12 pm 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 1
Monster Island by Chris Golden has some priceless moments. The beach scene was beautiful. I also liked the very mischevious Tara pulling Willow on stage to sing a duet!!! Absolutely priceless. (expecially Willow's reaction). I can just hear them singing "Endless Love" now....

Sometimes you can choose the path you follow
Sometimes your choices are made for you
And sometimes you have no choice at all

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:31 am 
28. Com...plete

Topics: 12
I have flipped through most and read some (a long time ago) and I find that most Buffy books are utter dreck.

With a few notable exceptions (Chris Golden being the main one) the books read like really bad fan-fic. I mean really bad.

I have seen mispelling, bad editing and that is not even dealing with the plot elements. It galls me to pay for what I can get for free, sometimes even better stuff for free.

Warlock

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."
- The Dragon and the Phoenix, Episode 7: The Road to Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:00 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

What is up with all of this negative energy? I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but for whatever reason, some people happen to like the Buffy books, which in no way take away from the delicious fanfic on this board. I'm honestly confused as to why so many people are getting huffy about this thread, including issuing warnings about topics that have not even been brought up yet. I'm seriously almost afraid to even post on the Kitten Board anymore for fear of being reprimanded.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:43 am 
28. Com...plete

No negative energy, the books are just not that good.

The seems to be an attitude among fans that "Oh I don't care if it is crap it is Buffy", I am saying "I don't care if it is Buffy, it is crap".

That's part of their marketing model, churn em out fast so people keep buying them. The pay is low so they can only attract the middle talents or less. Anyone with real talent moves on to bigger and better paying work.

My reading time limited now, so I'll give it a couple of looks but after that it's trash.

If you like strong women in a supernatural genre then pick up some Kelley Armstrong. So far I have not been disapointed.

Warlock

Tara: "My whole life has been 'Tara, don't use your magic.' 'Tara, hide your powers.' 'Tara you will scare someone.' But you tried to hurt and then kill Willow. So maybe it is time I showed everyone just how powerful I am."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:54 pm 
The warning was posted because several posts were edited/deleted because of things that were OT.

And as the title says, this thread is about buffy books with W/T moments in them. It's not a general buffy books thread. If anyone likes reading buffy books, that's fine. There are plenty of other places to talk about them, but the Kitten is not one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:54 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Quote:
including issuing warnings about topics that have not even been brought up yet.

They have been brought up and edited accordingly, hence the warning. Now for another reminder. That show, the books, fanart, fanfic, everything that is not Willow/Tara is off topic. Whether someone thinks Buffy is great or shit is both off topic. So opinions about the books in general are off topic as well. The topic of this thread is W/T in those books, please keep the discussion (either positive or critical) strictly about them alone.

Edit: please note the time I made this post. It is exactly the same minute that Canadian ass above me posted.. At least we´re consistent no?

Mrs. Cartman: Well, I know a little kitty who is sleeping with Mommy tonight.

Post subject: Re: Willow and Tara in buffy books
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:39 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hey, DrG, was your post tongue in cheek there about the posting times (I mean the ass comment, not the actual times)? I honestly could not tell, even if both of you were sort of saying the same things. :-) Just checking, LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:56 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

We both posted at the same time saying the same thing not knowing we were doing it. I made the edit to make clear I was not being a copycat but my own brilliant self and I called Warduke a Canadian ass because he is. Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:27 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

ROFL. Got it. So, does this mean we all get to call Warduke a Canadian ass? Just askin'. (And just kidding, Warduke!). But then, I guess that would make us American asses.... :lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 am 
28. Com...plete

No as Americans we are slightly below the ass.

I don't even know what that means.

Warlock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:54 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

DrG wrote:
That show, the books, fanart, fanfic, everything that is not Willow/Tara is off topic. Whether someone thinks Buffy is great or shit is both off topic. So opinions about the books in general are off topic as well. The topic of this thread is W/T in those books, please keep the discussion (either positive or critical) strictly about them alone.

Understood. That being said, would this thread be more appropriate in the Kitten Forum? That way it wouldn't be confined to the rules of the Witches and Vixens forum. There are many general threads, including a literature-based thread in the Kitten forum. Would that allow people to talk about non-specific W/T occurances in books which both W and T appear?

And on another note, regarding the mods editing of posts, do those markers show up anymore? Since the change to these new boards (which I prefer, largely because I have had more experience with this specific format), I have not really noticed editting indicators from anyone but the author of the post itself. I have thought nothing of it until I read in this thread that there was editing, yet saw no marker save for the author's.

Catie

EDIT: clearer and more appropriate diction.

Last edited by SySnootles on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:47 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Quote:
So, does this mean we all get to call Warduke a Canadian ass?

You could try, but I would not recommend it. I can fend him off with my considerable moderating powers, but you´d be at a disadvantage, though you could mollify him by offering him a Celine Dion greatest hits CD, he is her number one fan after all.

Sysnootles, edits do not show up anymore. On the one hand that is a disadvantage, on the other it could be a good thing too. We actually rarely edit people when you consider the amount of posts that get made and part of those edits are fixing messy codes or the like, but for whatever reason the edit is done, when you read "edited by moderator blah de blah" , it does not look nice. At least that is what I think.

As for moving this thread, that would not change anything. I could refer you to the FAQ, but I´ll copy the relevant part here because maybe it is good to do so once in a while as a reminder for everyone.

Quote:
Q

3. What is off topic?

A

Most topics can be discussed in one of the forums that we have, but there are a few topics that cannot be discussed anywhere on this board:

* BtVS, its creator and any other show made by him and/or Mutant Enemy are off topic. Of course anything related to Willow, Tara, Amber or Aly is on topic as long as it doesn't go against the Willow and Tara romantic relationship.

Specifically: Anything past the last ten or so minutes of "Seeing Red" is off topic, except if it relates to the Dead/Evil Lesbian Cliché, which can be discussed in the Lesbian Cliché FAQ thread.

* Topics questioning W/T's relationship, lack of chemistry or depth, etc., are NOT welcome.
* W/Other and/or T/Other is not welcome anywhere on the board.
* No topics questioning Willow´s or Tara´s sexuality. It has been well established on the show, in interviews, at conventions by the writers and the actors that both are gay in big gay love with each other. It is pointless to get into what ifs.
* No fanfic or fanart, other than Willow/Tara or Amber/Aly related of course.

The reasons as to why these things are off topic have to do with past negative experiences that we´d rather not repeat or dwell on. Of course there are W/T fans who still like the show and everything about it, so for them it would not be pleasant to read negative comments, and there are also Kittens who do not want to talk or read about that show at all except for Willow and Tara. If you wish to discuss these topics you can easily do so on one of the many other boards on the internet where these things would not be off topic.

That last paragraph especially should explain the why of this policy. People can agree or disagree but this is how it is and will stay. If anyone still has questions about this or anything else, please email me (garfield@kittenboard.com) or one of the other moderators so this thread can get back to it´s topic. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:03 pm 

onlyhalfevil wrote:
well I'm done with Chaos Bleeds, and FYI the Willow/Tara moments diminish largely in the second half.

If you have played the video game, you will remember that after Willow rescues Tara from Ethan, she doesn't appear in the game after that. Well, unless you count Vampire Tara in the mall. That's the only part about the game I didn't like. We didn't even get to see Tara at the end when the gang goes to visit Giles in the hospital after Buffy beats The First.

Oh, well. The Willow and Tara moments that are in the book are very much worth the read, especially the scene right before they fight those little gremlin things. I can't remember what they were called.

Jen

Last edited by Jennpurr on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:21 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

_APocalypse Memories_ qualifies as OT which is one reason I won't buy it; not as a protest, just because it flat-out doesn't interest me.

_These Our Actors_ features Willow as a main character, teamed with Captain Peroxide, but Tara has very litle "page-time" and their scene togehter at the end is ripped off from the end of "Family" except the other dancers actually notice it this time and get spooked, which is pretty hard to believe for a Sunnydale crowd.

_Monster Island_ read out, in part, like a 400+-page love letter to the W&T relationship, at least to me. And I wasn't complaining.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:36 pm 
3. Flaming O

What I'd really like to see is a WIllow/Tara novel with our girls all to themselves.... Perhaps set from the end of season four to the begining of season five?

Amber did a fine job writing the two issue comic book storyline, out of the wilderness (but it left me wanting so much more....)

Until then, I'll just have to read the Kitten fanfic's...

Thx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:12 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Quote:
What I'd really like to see is a WIllow/Tara novel with our girls all to themselves.... Perhaps set from the end of season four to the begining of season five?

And here in lies the source of all that 'negative energy'. There has not and never is going to be a W/T novel published by Pocket Books. The two most recent series of Buffy novels to even include the characters are so Kitten unfriendly that I can't even discuss them here. There have been novel centred around Spike & Dru, Oz, even Riley Finn was a major character in one, but W/T? Nope,, none, zip, zero, nada. It's a fairly damning indictment of the Buffy novels set post S4 that they are by and large(Christopher Golden excepted) OT for this list.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:57 pm 
3. Flaming O

Perhaps we could all send a group petition or message or email to Pocket Books requesting something W/T related as far as a storyline? I don't know how many Kittens there are on the board but if all of them write in I'd think the folks at Pocket would at least take notice... (how many readers write in to a publisher requesting genre specific/character specific novels?)

I'm certain there are other (Buffy/Angel/WIllow/Tara etc...) groups and forums that would join in if they knew about it.

I mean, they'd have to at least acknowledge there is an audience out here... it would be poor research/marketing NOT to pay attention...

(Or am I being gullable in believing they would listen?)

I've never done a mass email message or anything like this before, but I'm game...

Has anyone tried this?

Lemme know and thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:15 pm 
21. Geek Infested Roots

Quote:
I mean, they'd have to at least acknowledge there is an audience out here... it would be poor research/marketing NOT to pay attention...

(Or am I being gullable in believing they would listen?)

Ok forgive me because I'm really not taking the mickey out of you here but yes you are. Those Buffy books I can't discuss actually violate the FAQ rules that Dr G restated earlier, that is how far from offering any W/T goodness they are. Bear in mind that Pocket Books can only work within the constraints laid down by JW and FOX. Yes it is bizarre and just plain stupid that they aren't interested in pulling in the W/T fans to read their books but it is the case that they would rather do without us. :crazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:28 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hmmm, all hope is not lost.... If Fox/JW are at the crux of the problem, then there would be a good place to start. At least to get an honest answer on why there aren't any W/T books in the works.

Maybe if we can find out the problem, we can find a way around it...?

Either way, I'd like to hear it from the horses mouth as to what the justification is for the lack of Willow/Tara bookage.

I'll check in when I have some facts...

Thx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:52 pm 

Just a guess, but the reason there are probably not any W/T only novels published, is because they come for the show BtVS. If they were the stars of their own tv show, then I'm sure someone would write one.

You should write to Chris Golden. He may be interested at one point in the future. Who knows.

Jen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:09 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm in for a flaming for this post, but I have to be honest and say that I think another big contributor to no W/T specific books is lack of an over-all market. Yes, there are rabid W/T fans out there, but not in the numbers which would justify an entire novel dedicated to W/T.