The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Into Every Generation - Amber Interview
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:41 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 131
Into Every Generation a Slayer Is Born: How Buffy Staked Our Hearts by Evan Ross Katz, recently released and inside there are a few interviews with cast members that's given some interesting perspective on the behind the scenes of the show.

I do want to start by saying this book is one persons opinion. This is not Canonical truth and he does lay down a lot of his thoughts and tries to present interview material to match his opinion. I have also not read this book only extracts because I'm not spending £15 on someone's opinion and the reviews reflect that because if they agreed, they loved it and if they didn't, they panned it. There's this thing called the internet, we can get thousands of opinions for free and respond with a healthy debate turning into slurs about the commenter and their mum. So here is my opinion for free until I trick you with a subscription charge.

The bit I'm highlighting to the board is Ambers interview (Or at least the extract part)

"This is the first time I'm talking about this. I had had some issues with somebody on the show, and it had kind of come to a head as I was getting ready to leave. Leaving the show was sad because there are some of the crew and the writers and some of the cast that I just adore, but I had made my peace with that person and the show and I was done: 'I'm leaving everything in a good place. I don't need to come back.' And then all the s–t hit the fan and Joss realized he had messed up. I mean, this is a time when people are, like, sending faxes to that production office, like this was a big, horrible thing, and it was devastating to a lot of people.

And I think it hit Joss that he had made a mistake, that he had been short-sighted. I truly, for all of his faults and for all of the things about him that are frustrating, I don't think he ever meant to hurt the LGBTQ+ community. He just wasn't thinking. I can truly, from the bottom of my heart, say [that] this was nothing intentional This was a thoughtless error. But I didn't want to come back. He really wanted me to come back and we just couldn't come to an agreement on it. And most of that was my schedule. I was gonna miss going to England, not being able to direct The Ghosts of Albion if I had said yes.

I didn't really trust what was going to happen to the character. I think that's something if you've talked to some other cast, people are like 'Yeah, I came back… and then he just did what he wanted. Even though he told me that he wasn't going to kill me in this way, he killed me in that way.' I just didn't feel super trusting of the situation. And I felt like people had already been really hurt by this. And I'm not the writer. I can't decide what's going to happen to this character. I don't have the reins. And so between the schedule, and not really having a hundred percent trust in what was going to happen and some other things, it just didn't work out."
Extract source.

Now the bulk of this we already know and the creditability of this interview comes from the fact Amber has been consistent in what she has said from the word go. She is either a terrific liar or genuinely a straight up honest person who doesn't want to deceive people. ( I vote the later, I've not come across anything that has said she isn't lovely, sometimes tipsy but never not lovely.) One source of her explaining her decision There are countless explanations given in panels but I cant be arsed with finding and time stamping them all.

Now if we pair this with a interview given about the recent Joss controversy.

“Buffy was a toxic environment and it starts at the top. [Charisma] is speaking truth and I support her 100%,” Amber Benson tweeted. “There was a lot of damage done during that time and many of us are still processing it twenty plus years later.”

Benson elaborated on this more in our interview. “It starts at the top—and I’m not talking about Sarah, I’m talking about Joss. And it creates the tone of the set. And I worked on shows where the producers are very aware of this, and they work really hard to make everybody feel like they are important and that they have a place in the show. And I think because this was Joss’s first show, there were things that got dropped. I think sometimes it made the set feel tense because people were like, ‘I don’t know that I’m important. Like, I know Sarah is important because she’s the name of the show, but am I important?’ And I think that that made it hard. And I think it puts a lot of pressure on relationships with Sarah and other actors and then other actors with each other. I think there was a lot of tension in that way.”

She continued: “I came in in the fourth season, so all that stuff had already been concretized. And so it was a little bit of navigating and being aware that there were sort of alliances and tensions and some people got on really well and other people were okay...nobody was flat-out fighting or anything, but you could just feel like people weren’t sure of their place. And I think it is the boss’s job to make everybody understand where they are in the hierarchy and how they fit in and that they are necessary, you know? ’Cause if you make everybody feel like they’re a part of it and that they’re necessary and that they’re not worried about their job, then there’s this comfortability. And I think when that wasn’t happening, there was some uncomfortability on-set.” Source

Now the new bits of information we have is that there was issues with somebody and there was a lack feeling important. However referring back to Evan Ross Katz who gave this in a interview about his book:

"Something that Amber says in the book that I think applies to a lot of people is that people like you and I, we love this show, it holds a certain place in our heart. When you have an opportunity to be a part of something like Buffy, that makes people feel something so strong about it you don’t want to tarnish that feeling, you want them to hold on to those memories. Even if in some instances, it comes at a cost to you, the person involved. " Interview source

So I'm not going to openly try and fuel speculation and give a fact less basis for a theory that can be wrong and damage someone's career and reputation. So out of respect for Amber and her understanding of the bigger picture, I'll spoiler tag it hehehe.

Don't read if you want to keep things untarnished. I am playing dot to dot with peoples livelihoods, poor sources and wild speculation. There is no value in my words. This is just a current thing ongoing and feel the KB should get in on this.
Spoiler:
I have a theory. I did try to put it to the tune of I have a theory but I couldn't make it work, the song is too short for my ramblings.

I think the somebody was Alyson Hannigan. To me its the only thing that makes sense.

I'm going to explain myself but like most things I say, it will likely turn into a tangent rambling I poorly link to the original question right at the end when i remember what I was meant to be answering.

A lot of this comes from the importance thing Amber brings up. She is open here that its not SMG and the way she says its whedon's responsibility she doesn't say its him. His presence on set during series six was minimal compared to other years as he was also working on Firefly and Angel as stated in this SMG interview. as we are looking towards nearer the end of Ambers time on the show it ultimately has to be the series six production timing. So I'm excluding Whedon as the somebody.

I look at the scenes Tara had and characters she interacted with and there is no one she is in enough scenes with and would be guaranteed to be with in series-doesnt-exist. Michelle and Amber had a good relationship, they were Romeo and Juliet at Whedon's Shakespeare reading. James, they worked together on Chance. Nicholas- its hard to find stuff on him but scenes together are always group work bar one scene in 'After Life'. Emma - I know its some years after but this interview is one of jetlagged good friends And Anthony Stewart Head was leaving anyway.

Factor in the importance element and you have Alyson. Its is no secret Tara was a plot point for Willow. Even Sarah has gone on record in Katz book that her relationship with Alyson wasn't always rosy source. From an actor perspective, look at the scenes Alyson gets in series six compared to Amber. Amber's character was 90% there to aid more scenes for Alyson's. That's demotivating having a character purely to aid another. you get to storm out of the kitchen in one scene but the rest of the episode the other gets to depict a range of emotion, stunt work and be the focal point when a relationship is two equal halves. If I was in Amber's shoes id feel unimportant and likely uncomfortable (I don't know her shoe size).

It does translate to the screen, We blame the writers for under utilising Tara but what if it was more. What if the tension between them was translating on the camera so it couldn't be done to get the screens they want. Now I'm saying Bullwinkle to that one. Duchovny and Anderson couldn't stand each other when filming X-files but have the greatest chemistry on screen I've ever seen (Joint maybe, its different). If Hannigan and Benson had that chemistry fuelled from hatred there's no way that wouldn't be exploited. Odds are the lack of Tara was due to her death constantly being pushed back. Source.

On top of that it was often reported that Hannigan was Whedon's favourite. Godmother to his son and as far as I've seen she hasn't spoken about the Whedon controversy. That has many factors to it though and cannot be held credible, Same with the supposed affair rumours. why am I writing this again? This is pointless and rude towards Hannigan. If you opened the spoiler tag maybe think about your decisions I know I am. Ok the one brain cell is back and saying I started so ill finish.

A thing that always got me was how Amber was told Tara was being killed off. While filming the gift, called into a trailer and happily told "we're killing you off." Its a small part of the interview but treat yourself to a full read, its a great interview.There is a video of Amber and Alyson for the 20th anniversary where Amber describes it and Alyson is mortified for her. clearly never heard of it before. I find it weird she wouldn't know as I think I read interviews of Amber saying about it which are dated before the 20th anniversary stuff was filmed. You have practically every scene with someone and you don't tell them how you were told. again many factors to that, be it contracted silence or Amber didn't want to talk about it. Its a good video if you can work your way through all the book interview stuff clogging up every search. Maybe Alyson not knowing was a sign of poor communication between them. who knows, its speculation and neither of them need to answer.

And there is no way Amber wouldn't be working with Alyson extensively for series-doesn't-exist

Forgot to put my most important point. Amber has always protected the fans of the show and especially Willow and Tara fans. She has been honest however over the years small bits keep being added such as now with the 'Somebody'. Amber has already gone for Whedon, the creator of the very thing the fans love so what's a higher bar to go to where you will acknowledge there's somebody but not reveal who it is. surely if you go for the top then you can reign down, no ones safe. Then you think of the main thing she gets praised for and gets thanked for in her portrayal of Tara, repeatedly by people its touched. The Willow and Tara relationship. No one wants to tarnish that in any way. So above the boss you've got Alyson. She is 50% of the relationship, the work that went into fight for it and portraying it with respect. If protecting the fans that's certainly not an image you want to taint.

Now it could be somebody behind the camera or the powers that be upstairs. We don't know and we likely wont ever know. We have no right to know. Just my pittance to stir some controversy.

So with all the new bits of information coming out as people feel strong enough to speak out, I think its easy to want to still find blame. As much as I wish this was one long Cluedo game and when we work out the answer the timeline will correct itself and we have the correct end to 'Seeing Red' and a Tara filled series seven (Yes with Tara I acknowledge it as seven and not series-doesn't-exist). Nothing is going to change. its done and we have our own narrative in Pens. Raking up the past isn't changing anything no matter how much we want it to. So instead of name calling and false allegations in response to people finally speaking out (Read the spoiler to find out how stupid that is), lets just appreciate what these amazing people have done. Amber in particular to keep the very thin context of this thread.

over 20 years these actors have kept silent to their troubles and suffering in their work place environment because of the fans (Lots of other factors there, don't take all the credit guys) so we can enjoy a show that has touched us in ways much more meaningful than just some show on the telly. They have kept the jaded past aside for the most part to not taint the memory or connections we have, at their own cost. That's above and beyond. Instead of witch hunting the wrong doers, praise the ones speaking up and the ones who have stood up for us over the years.

Yes I want Tara back more than anything but I salute and thank you Amber for having integrity and understanding when the head honchoes didn't. You have helped preserve one of the most important TV characters in history. Thankyou for protecting her and for protecting us.

To read more please click here and selected the premium Dub subscription service, the quality is lacking but has once been described as "Having an odd way of inspiring people"

I do not deem any links here credible as I haven't looked for the first hand source, all this is the non sensical ramblings of someone with far too much time on their hands who thinks this is reality tv instead of life. you should not believe anything read here and use your own head and credible sources when coming to a decision or more importantly know peoples relationships from 20 years ago is no ones business but theirs and they don't need to reveal anything.

So yeah, there's a book out with interviews with Amber in it. Not Alyson, she cancelled after the Whedon controversy.

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms

Post subject: Re: Into Every Generation - Amber Interview
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:24 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I was wondering if anyone would comment on this interview!

I love the respect Amber Benson has for her fans, and I think this interview really puts that on display. And as for your spoiler….
Spoiler:
I was wondering the same thing. Since her storyline was so entangled with Alyson’s, I can’t fathom it really being anyone else, at least not anyone in the cast. I want to say hearing that she had issues with someone was surprising, but ever since everything with Joss has come out, I’m not surprised at all.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:15 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

I haven't come across respect for the fans like Amber has for them ever. You get people who are really good with fans but I don't think the truly grasp the concept of why their character is so important or they don't want to be big headed about it. But 20 years on and Amber has understood it, respected it and has come across completely down to earth. She talks about it today with the same passion and vigour as she did way back then.

Patrick Stewart is one for me who I really don't understand. There was a time he refused to talk about Picard or Charles Xavier and they are massive pop culture icons who affected so many peoples lives. I get it must be boring answering the same questions and fans can be over baring but to shut down all conversation is way too far. as an actor its a responsibility to at least acknowledge it as you have put out your portrayal of someone, its like sticking your opinion in everyone's face then saying no one can comment. It doesn't make sense to me.
Doesn't seem to have an issue with cashing in his Picard money now though with a new series. Cash in his American Dad money though, he's great on that show.

Spoiler:
I have come across previous interviews in the past with other cast members saying how one of the cast got quite big for their boots. But everything is buried with this book coming out so I cant re-find them as I don't want to watch hours of buffy panels again (I can only yell at the laptop for so long arguing). But ultimately I think its cast related because there's no escaping the cast if 90% of your scenes are with them.

Found the video of Amber saying how she was told Tara was being killed off. Alyson's face says it all, she has never heard that story before. Ambers hand on her arm and laughing I can imagine her inner monologue if this beef is true "Girl, you were there! Maybe care then. Now laugh away the pain. keep laughing hide the tears"-2.55 when her eyes flitter down for a moment.Link

*Rides in on a tricycle* Wanna play a game? - Five Minutes of Artistic Integrity - Those Three Little Words - Sassy Synonyms - Aradia's Antonyms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
I'll say it again; I wish I could have been a fly with a video cam on the wall during those Shakespeare readings and singalongs.

Amber has been clear before; nobody in the cast but her knew about the Taracide until they got That Script. I don't know if it was in the table read, before that, or (a thing like Radar f om MASH announcing Henry's death,) just before the scene was done. She has mentioned during her farewell reception SMG and Michelle were both crying a lot.

I won't address the speculations directly. I will say no two adults can get along all the time. I will not go into details about a vague daydream I had about a theoretical future show-biz marriage and who might send them a wedding gift even though said gifter is not in the social circle of either participant.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:07 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Quote:
Amber has been clear before; nobody in the cast but her knew about the Taracide until they got That Script.

Do you have a source for this? Not doubting you. I've just not come across it so would like to see it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am 
3. Flaming O

Topics: 4
Yeah that really doesn't make sense since it was leaked ahead of time that she'd be killed.

AO3 Profile