The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Film with Amber "Desire Will Set You Free"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:40 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 12
Hi folks,

I did a super quick sweep and didn't see anything posted on this already... but if this is a redundant notice - apologies.

Amber appears in the new(ish) indie film Desire Will Set You Free

She plays a lesbian in an angsty relationship... not sure (haven't seen it yet) but fairly certain she does *not* die.

UPDATE: I just asked Amber directly and she confirmed that her character does not die - so yay!

I will note that it's pretty clear that her character is a very minor one...but she's important enough that the director/editor felt she should feature in the trailer.

The film is currently making the festival circuit. You can see the trailer and learn more about it on the official site: http://desirewillsetyoufreethemovie.com/

Apologies for not doing the official "link" thing but I haven't used BBcode in a really long time. Hopefully ya'll don't mind copy-pasting for now.

Cheers,
DW

Challenge Fics!: You Could Be Her ... Glasses ... Graffiti ... Pizza Day

Forbidden Fics?: Check out the Litterbox!

Oops, I made a mythtake... wt4ever

Post subject: Re: New Film with Amber "Desire Will Set You Free"
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:31 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 53
I see you confirmed the whole not dying thing :D

Check out my finished fics

Love, The SeriesTwo For Joy/21+/Joy To The WorldInevitable/Infinitely

Confidential EternalA Twisted DateDachsund Through The Snow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Oh, yes. Absolutely.

Wasn't going to to let that question go unanswered if I could help it.

I know I'm not the only one who's gun-shy (no pun intended) when it comes to Amber's characters being in peril.

Cheers,
DW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:02 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Hi gang!

Looks like this movie is now available for streaming

HERE

Enjoy!

Cheers
DW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:25 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

You can start a free trial to watch it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:30 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Well holy shit.

That's all I have to say.

Maybe more coherence later?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:05 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Okay I'm back (slightly) more clear headed.

Amber actually had a pretty meaty role which excited me because I saw it described as 'cameo' somewhere.

She's funny and sweet and zany and all the things we love Amber for (described as a 'midwest diner beauty queen' at one point)

Plus, if you've ever wanted to hear her say 'twat' this movie is for you.

(And if you couldn't tell by my needing to calm down, there's a sex scene)

DVD is also available on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Okie dokie... I finally got around to watching it... here's my thoughts, and you're probably not going to like them:

The underground queer "scene" that the main characters are caught up in seemed like the sort of place that only self-involved, hedonist, exhibitionists would enjoy. Good for them if they enjoy it; as for me, I'll stick to my happily boring domesticity.

The film overall was incredibly uneven. It seemed the director/creator was relying far too heavily on ad-libbed dialogue rather than written, structured scenes. While this can work when done well, here it felt awkward and ungainly. Meanwhile any scenes that were shot from the script as written were stilted and poorly shot.

It took most of the entire film for my wife and I to figure out what the heck it was even about. It took waaaaay to long for the narrative to settle on a main protagonist with a clear story arc.

That being said: Amber was indeed her usual charming self, and one of only two likable characters in the entire movie. Quite honestly, if the writer and director had focused the film solely on the characters of Jayne (Amber) and Sasha (flawed, but still likable) it would have been a far better film about deeper issues.

As it was the filmmakers seemed so focused on capturing the Berlin queer underground in "verite" that any sort of depth of character or story was side-lined to instead feature cameos of local Berlin queer punk, electronica and performance artists to whom few, if no, American viewers will have any familiarity. You could argue that this is a German film for German and European audiences. I would counter that if that were the case, they would not have cast using a largely American and Canadian talent pool and they would have shot the film in German, rather than English (with the occasional German phrase tossed in to remind us that we are, still, in Germany).

After talking to Amber about this flick prior to its release, I now understand her joke about cupcakes being in mortal peril. Yep... at least a half dozen died for our enjoyment.

As Laragh mentioned, there is a sex scene between Amber's character and her girlfriend. That being said... it wasn't graphic by any means and Amber (I'm happy to say) stuck to her "sure, I'll do a sex scene but my clothes stay on" credo.

So, yeah, I did not enjoy this movie. Except for Amber. She was styled gorgeously, her character was sweet and caring and awkwardly sexy (in that special way unique to Amber).

But even with the light of AB in the middle of the darkness, I still need a serious palate cleanser.

Thinking I might put on some My Little Pony or something...

Cheers
DW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:19 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

So here's the thing, I'll admit when Amber is in a movie, that gets the focus of my attention, especially when it's not the kind of movie I'd usually pick up. To the detriment of actually watching the movie sometimes.

In saying that, I didn't think this was that bad. It's a view into another world and I appreciate being exposed to lives that would seem surreal to live. I get this weird FOMO even if I'd never like to live like that in a million years.

And I would imagine they used North American actors because they wanted it to do well in North America. I think there is a scene for this style of film in most creative hubs. It seems they had a few known German names in there too. Or maybe it was cheaper. Or they were friends of the director/writer/someone. I have no idea. There must have been some reason though.

The sex scene being clothed is what makes it great. It's funny and god help those cupcakes. When she said I like food more than sex at the end I was like 'yeah, me too, especially if it's one of those mango cupcakes!'

All in all, I didn't think it was a bad way to spend 90 mins watching something outside of my normal score. Doesn't come anywhere Gryphon in terms of epic badness :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:53 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

While I agree that I too can be distracted by Amber, I don't think I was overly focused on her in this film. I focused on her in my review because this is the KB and, well, we tend to focus on Amber.

My overall opinion (which is truly just an opinion, no better or worse than anyone's) comes from my years in the indie film and alt-theater industry and is colored by that. You're absolutely right, there is definitely a niche for this style of film, and it's fans will totally get and and enjoy it. It's just that personally, I found the direction self-indulgent, the script poorly written and the whole thing badly shot and edited. I'm as much a fan of cinema verite as the next gal, but only when it's done well.. and in this instance I just don't think it was.

But, again... that's just me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DarkWiccan wrote:
While I agree that I too can be distracted by Amber, I don't think I was overly focused on her in this film. I focused on her in my review because this is the KB and, well, we tend to focus on Amber.

My overall opinion (which is truly just an opinion, no better or worse than anyone's) comes from my years in the indie film and alt-theater industry and is colored by that. You're absolutely right, there is definitely a niche for this style of film, and it's fans will totally get and and enjoy it. It's just that personally, I found the direction self-indulgent, the script poorly written and the whole thing badly shot and edited. I'm as much a fan of cinema verite as the next gal, but only when it's done well.. and in this instance I just don't think it was.

But, again... that's just me.

You're far more of an expert than me! I'm just coming from an ordinary Joe kind of stand point. If I knew the ins and outs of film production, I may very well agree. In fact, I don't disagree. I just didn't find it so off-putting that I couldn't enjoy it. The joys of ignorance?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:19 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Quote:
I just didn't find it so off-putting that I couldn't enjoy it. The joys of ignorance?

Indeed! I often wish I could watch a movie or a TV show or a piece of theater and just turn-off the "visual story-telling structures and techniques" part of my brain...

It can get VERY annoying.

EDITED TO ADD: I just want to make it clear, in case it wasn't in my initial review, I am super glad that the sex scene was clothed. I applaud Amber for continuing to stick to her guns on this, because it can be very difficult in the indie film world... (believe it or not) even harder than in mainstream Hollywood cinema. And especially in a film like this one, designed to shock and titillate with images of naked and overt sexuality on full display. So yay for clothes! :grin :grin :grin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:46 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 9
I just got around to watching the trailer so I could contemplate signing up for a free trial to watch it and just the trailer made me think "maybe I'll save it to watch with someone who'd be more into it." Although I don't really have friends so....

But I did have the thought that someone cool might come along and nab just the Amber scenes and then I'd watch that.

Actually just listening to you two makes me rethink it now. Maybe I will sign up for a free trial

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:09 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DarkWiccan wrote:

EDITED TO ADD: I just want to make it clear, in case it wasn't in my initial review, I am super glad that the sex scene was clothed. I applaud Amber for continuing to stick to her guns on this, because it can be very difficult in the indie film world... (believe it or not) even harder than in mainstream Hollywood cinema. And especially in a film like this one, designed to shock and titillate with images of naked and overt sexuality on full display. So yay for clothes! :grin :grin :grin

With you 100% on this. I would have found it uncomfortable for there to be nudity in that scene. I find most on screen nudity to be superfluous anyway. Clothed sex scenes are far more intriguing for me, especially when someone I really admire is involved.

dtburanek - you'll only have wasted 90 minutes if you don't like it, and gotten a few minutes of Amber adorableness. In saying that, it might be easier to watch with someone else. I'll try and cut together Amber's scenes when my DVD arrives but it's not due for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:25 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Holy crap the movie is only 90min long... it felt so. much. longer.

Anyway, because I love ya'll... I went through and found the time stamps for each of Amber's scenes. (I may have missed one... but my sanity prevents me from rewatching with closer scrutiny)

Here they be:

00:15.00 (first appearance, and man is she pissed)
00:18.59 (cupcake carnage - brace for impact)
00:37.09 (house party)
01:13.49 (getting coffee)
01:16.22 (just us giggling gals)
01:18.39 (Visa office)
01:25.01 (Sasha's not here)
01:26.23 (I lied... she's here)

EDITED TO ADD: I highly recommend you watch the "house party" and "giggling gals" scenes with headphones on and the volume up. The audio in this film is mixed horribly (ironic considering how many musicians were featured), and the multiple overlays of dialogue tracks in these two scenes is particularly difficult to follow...which sucks all the more because Amber has quite a few important lines in the party scene especially.

Enjoy Kittens!

Cheers,
DW

Last edited by DarkWiccan on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:05 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

DarkWiccan wrote:
00:15.00 (first appearance, and man is she pissed)
00:18.59 (cupcake carnage - brace for impact)
00:37.09 (house party)
01:13.49 (getting coffee)
01:16.22 (just us giggling gals)
01:18.39 (Visa office)
01:25.01 (Sasha's not here)
01:26.23 (I lied... she's here)

Your descriptions are better than the movie :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I almost wrote those down myself. But I didn't. Instead I grabbed the video of the cupcake carnage, if anyone wants it.

I almost gave up after that, seeing how the sex scene is early enough. Glad I did wait it out though because Amber saying Twat is awesome.

DW: I watch everything with subtitles and it didn't pick up much from the house party because it is so hard to hear.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:58 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

dtburanek wrote:
Instead I grabbed the video of the cupcake carnage, if anyone wants it.

Um. Yes. Please. :blush

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Okay, so who is the first one going to write a smutty short involving cupcake carnage, and the lines "oh, you've ruined them" and "oh, it's wet"?

Any takers?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Sounds like a fic challenge you're throwing down there, Delayne :wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:07 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Glad I wasn't the only one who had that thought pass through their mind.

Are there enough that would participate I wonder? Then again, I believe it was a challenge that first got me to write and post....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:07 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

I love fic challenges! We had regular challenges a few years ago but they fizzled out.

The last big challenge on here was the 10 Year Anniversary Challenge. Dammit now I'm going to go to bed thinking about cupcakes in unusual ways!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Maybe if we post a notice about the challenge on the FB group it might get more people to play?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:31 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Well I'm in. Shall we three determine the requirements of the fic? I mean we need more than just cupcakes...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:49 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Sure, but maybe (as we're all on FB) we might discuss it in Messenger over there? That way we're not using this thread for the wrong reason...

Make sense?

Cheers
DW