The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's "Oh. Great. Monday again?" Monday, MK
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:19 am 
So here it is, Monday again. Not a big fan. And I know that's not an atypical thing in our day and age. But nonetheless, Monday's suck. Especially, I'm sure, when you're fresh from a Las Vegas prison, the loins of Big Bertha, and still recovering from the worst hangover known to Kittenkind. So here's my question.

How do you motivate yourself to get your butt out of bed, in to work or school, and through your first day of the week? Me? I use positive rewards throughout the day. A little chocolate here, a little Kitten board lurking there. Thoughts of sweating, scantily clad lady pirates with daggers clenched inbetween their teeth. Oh, yeah. Right there.

Mondays. Hmmph.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:47 am 
COFFEE!!!

I have considered putting one of those small coffee makers next to the bed & hooked to a timer... I'd wake up, but I wouldn't make it out of bed... So, I have the coffee maker in the kitchen hooked to a timer, so I can wake up & smell the coffee... and then get out of bed.. darnit.. :p

Also, it must be strong coffee... strong enough to grow hair on the countertop when spilled... strong enough for the smell to wake the neighbors.. strong enough to get out of the pot itself...

And, I have considered an IV hookup for at work when I've been to busy to drink it.... :grin think that will get approved??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:51 am 
Hehehe, kinda like a Garfield moment - all you need is a little lasagne to feel better about Mondays. Except that doesn't work for me as cheese makes me ill :hmm - so I must find better ways to motivate myself :smug
I don't really have a structured Mon-Fri work rota so I don't tend to get that 'I just had two days off and really don't wanna go back to work' thing. I just usually don't wanna to go to work at all, unless there are new films in for me to play with :grin That's usually enough to get me to go in and at least attempt to look human. :p
When forced to finally raise my ass from my pit i tend to agree with you Julia and find chocolate often helps, tho I am usually in the fortunate position of having to work late on a Monday and not having to get out of bed until mid afternoon so i don't usually have that problem :grin Today is even better tho as I have a day off and a concert to go to tonight. Vanessa Carlton, ah bliss! That's enough to get me out of bed and ready to face London rush hour! :cool
I also find having two nieces come rushing in to your room when your sister drops round for surprise afternoon tea is enough to wake me up and chase them round the house with a rounders bat. :devilish

Regards,

~Lou

PS. And why is there a sudden urge for me to go out and rent 'Cuthroat Island' from Blockbuster? :sh Damn you all! :lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:16 am 
well I've found the way of dealing with this particular Monday. I'm just not going in to work today. I've been feeling sick to my stomach since yesterday....so I've decided to take at least the morning off. I might try to make it this afternoon. Hope everyone else feels better than I do.

-Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:22 am 
In the past, the only thing that got me up and moving to work on a Monday was the knowledge that it was paying for school and every Monday in that hell hole I used to work in brought me one week closer to graduation and freedom. Now I only get up on Mondays if I have an appointment. :D I had an 11 o'clock today, but got to stay in bed anyway. We're in the midst of the largest snowfall here in Ohio in 100 years. I've been stuck in this house since Friday. Even the dog is getting stir crazy! I think I might have preferred to go in to the office today. :eek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:39 am 
Today is an extra special Monday for me, knowing that most of my friends have the day off for President's Day and that that I have to deal with a blizzard for my commute home. On the bright side, the roads should be fairly empty and the snow is rather pretty. I can only hope that the storm continues through the night so that my facility will be closed tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:50 am 
I don't go to work I don't get paid simple as that really. No money means moving back with my mum to the village of no life so 5.45am start not really too bad!!
Z

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:07 am 
Well, since we're all snowed in here in beautiful NJ and everything is closed, I don't have to go to work today.:laugh
I'm not looking foward to digging out of this mess. Its supposed to snow until later tonight and we already have 16 inches. They're predicting more then two feet.:shock
So I'm just going to veg and talk to my buddies until I absolutely, positively have to go out. All snug and warm in my apartment with plenty of provisions. Except I forgot to rent a few movies. I'll have to settle for the garbage on TV.

Love To All,
Barb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:16 am 
Well, after working all weekend, I'm off today and tomorrow.

Getting some laundry done and staying warm and cozy inside - that's a good plan, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:29 am 
I actually have the day off today because of President's Day. Which is cool for me, because during undergrad, my college NEVER gave us random mondays off. We used to start classes on Labor Day.

So I slept real late today and now I'm watching the wnow outside my window. It's pretty. I'm hoping that if we actually get the 2 feet they're predicting, harvard will cancel classes tomorrow. but i'm not counting on it.

usually i get myself out of bed by telling myself i can take a nap later. of course, by the time i shower and have a cup of tea and some breakfast, i'm not so tired any more, so i almost never end up actually taking that nap. but that's one of the things that gets me out of bed. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:51 am 
I have never been good at getting up it the mornings, especially on mondays.
Now, not having a job, i dont have to get up, so i fall out of bed when i like, whilst this sounds good, lack of money and social interaction (long words!!!) mean its not,
So anybody wanna give me a job?????, only joking, then i would have to get up!!!!! :sleep :evil

Caz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:25 am 
Well, here I am back at work on this horrid Monday, a little more worn around the edges after my time in Vegas.

Motivated on Mondays? Ugh... it's hard. I just have to keep reminding myself that if I don't get up the evil work-trolls will call and page me until I do.

And just on a side note: I will never, ever, ever look at croutons the same way again. Ever. :eyebrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:48 am 
I was gonna wake up at 10. Really. I have a real day off though, no class, no work. It's nice. So I woke up about 3 hrs late. Having a heated mattress pad really does make it hard to wake up in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:05 am 
*YAWN* oh..what..who..waking up Monday mornings? *looks at clock* ok, so I woke up a couple hours ago but waking up early Mondays isn't a problem for me as it's my regular day off...so no worries here...I was going to get up early and get my wisdom teeth yanked out but my appt got cancelled and moved to tomorrow due to the blizzard here. A coffee IV does sound like an idea....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:01 pm 
I don't have many ways to psych myself up for getting up on Monday mornings (or any morning for that matter). I have to be at high school at 7:25, and I'm lucky enough to have my mom take me to school until a few months from now, when I will be officially old enough to drive myself to class. She leaves at 6:45 so we can get there at 7:15.
Therefore (this sounds like a math problem), if I want to have breakfast and at least 10 minutes in the bathroom doing my hair and all that after my sister gets out of the bathroom, I have to get up at 5:45 in the morning.

It's not a pretty sight.

Since I have the day off, I didn't get up until 10:00.

Love to all the kitties at work today!

Sarah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:22 pm 
My Monday (everyday) morning motivator actually has a series
of stages. You see being the sad thing that I am, and starting work at 7am
in the morning - you betta believe that you need a back up plan.

So in our house we have your standard beepy alarm clock. Annoying at best,
and can be easily thwarted by hitting a button.

Then comes the two year old walking/talking alarm clock, announcing for neighbours
on boths sides of the street that she is sure that "Bear in the Big Blue House" is on TV,
and what joy she would feel if it were to be switched on!.

So whilst struggling with the damn remote (which incidently never seems to work at 5am)
I am drawn to the kitchen by that magnificent aroma which is coffee....mmmmmm...

And if that doesn't work to motivate me, the sounds of my girlfriend in the shower usually does.
nothing like going to off to work all after all that lathering....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:04 pm 
Heh...waking up early on monday huh? Does 3:58pm count?? I have a very good excuse I promise...I was recovering from my birthday on Sat. Any other day the thought of being late to work and losing my job is a pretty good motivator.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:15 pm 
I am right there with you oneyedchicklet. Along with the rest of the North Eastern Kittens that is. I am in Pittsburgh, PA and we got between 13-22 inches. (Depending on where you live.) I think my driveway alone got 30 inches. :angry

This Monday was particularly difficult for me. I was up at 5am, out the door at 5:45am digging out my car, just so I could slide down the driveway to the road and start the trek to work. Luckily, I have 4 wheel drive and I made it into work by 6:30am. Once there, three of my four staff tried to call off due to the weather, so I told them I would pick them up. By 8:30am I had safely delivered them all to work. :D Much to their disappointment :miff that I ruined their 'Snow Day'. :lol

Today, I really, really, really, really, really hate Monday. :sob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:28 pm 
30 inches of snow.........

I couldn't even concieve of THAT much snow. We never get
so much as one stray flake of snow here.

You guys are making me cold. Thankfully I can stare out
my office window and see the heat radiate happily off the bitumen.
Nice sun...good sun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:04 pm 
La believe me, Harvard never cancels classes b/c of weather (at least not undergrad). sigh...

so much snow, and it's still falling.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:30 pm 
well, the Div school closed the library today at 2, when it's supposed to be opened until 11, so I can hope :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:56 pm 
hope is good!:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:49 pm 
Ah....monday morning sex? :wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:56 pm 
You mean you have to wake up in the morning? :hmm I may be up and moving - but I don't actually become coherent until I have been up 2 or 3 hours (as several kittens can now agree) I normally drink a coke, or two, or three.... I don't drink coffee so I have to get my caffiene fix another way.

On a side note... I miss snow.

And Linda, Do you want me to send you a crouton shrub? :party

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:03 pm 
After 8 years in the Navy and many years in civilian life, getting up at 4 am has just become a habit whether its Monday or Friday. I cant think of any special motivation I use other than to just do it. Maybe its genetic; my Dad used to leave the house at 5:30 in the morning to go to work, so maybe I inherited the getting up early gene. I'm sure it would be much more difficult for me to get out of bed if there were someone else in it persuading me to stay and linger a bit longer. ;)

I hope all our Eastern kittens are weathering the evil weather without too much difficulty. We were on the northern fringe of the storm, so we didnt get too much in the way of snow, just a few inches along with nasty wind and cold temperatures. It might actually get up to 30 tomorrow though, which would be only the third time this year its gotten that warm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:37 pm 
Must admit, I'm not a Mondayitus sufferer at all, but I am finding getting up at 5.15 am during the week to go to the gym.

The only thing that gets me out of bed is not thinking about staying in it. Has to be split second yelling "WAKE UP NOW GET UP" thought in my head.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:49 pm 
I'm in the just do it camp too. I can't sleep most nights so it's always hard for me to get up. But I do quite well when someone persuades me to wake up too. :wink

Mondays aren't particularly hard. Right now I'd just love to have a job to go to on Mondays. I live in the metro Atlanta area. Anyone know of any office manager/admin jobs?