The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's How Do You Handle Stress Tuesday MKF 02/04/03
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:52 am 
Noticed there wasn't a daily yet, and prompted by talk in yesterday's MKF thread, I thought I'd ask how Kittens handle stress. Also, what do Tara and Willow do during the angsty moments on the Hellmouth?

When I'm stressed, I usually end up smoking too much, drinking too much coffee and eventually :puke - yes, I know, not pleasant, but that's how my body deals with stress. I dont have many stress relievers but, if I can, I like to walk (before the unpleasantness takes hold) to try to clear my mind and get some perspective. Too much stress = inappropriately ill-tempered Patches (READ: b*tch).

I think Tara would meditate quietly in a darkened room with candles a more solitary activity. Willow, humm, I think would find a tree and sit there, away from everyone, absorbing the good energy from nature.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:58 am 
I ignore it until it goes away. What? That doesn't usually work so well? Crap.

Willow would have one of those squishy balls you're supposed to squeeze for stress. She'd do that for a while and then get distracted by Tara. Tara seems pretty calm to me. Meditating is probably what she would do. Some breathing excercises maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:37 am 
That may be one way they destress, BytrSuite, but the combination of words and phrases like "squishy," "squeeze," and "distracted by Tara" in your paragraph made me think they might have other ways. (-;

For me, exercise is great, swimming, hiking, and yoga, but there's always dark chocolate too. My cat's good for helping with stress ... except when he's the source of it. And the Kitten can work wonders as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:49 am 
This one has a simple answer for me. Not very well. I have a horrid temper and stress brings it right up front and center. So I usually end up taking it out on some poor inanimate object. *shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:53 am 
I'm like you Patches.... Smoke too much then drink too much coffee, smoke some more, more coffee etc. until I feel sick :puke

Then it sinks in that I am stressed and the meditation begins. It does work. I wish I could see I was stressed before I feel sick though! :spin

I think Willow and Tara would soothe each others stress away too :bigkiss :p

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:56 am 
I discovered this morning that I deal with stress by getting a migraine. After spending most of the early part of the day in bed, I went to see my mum at work, who was horrified by the way I look (although you know, I can't tell the difference between the way she was today and the way she is normally...heh) and told me to go back to bed for the rest of the day.

Anyway, at the princely hour of 6pm, I'm now up; still stressed as all the things I was going to do today I haven't yet started, but thankfully, due to the healing power of very strong distalgesics, the migraine is at least abating.

So I'm still stressed; still with far too much to do in a short space of time. And I'm dealing with it how? Well, I'm here aren't I? :lol

Ah, the internet. Gotta love it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:00 am 
Not a nice way to deal with stress tommo.

Actually, I think we should all learn to ignore stress, it does nothing but cause upset and sickness! :rolleyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:01 am 
I guess I don't handle stress very well either. Thankfully I don't get migranes, but I do get these strange spasms in my upper back and neck. Besides a good massage, I find food extremely comforting. I love to cook and find it strangely calming. Maybe it is all the chopping. Also eating...anything chocolate will do when I am stressed.
I'd also have to agree on the internet thing, it can be a great distraction from real life sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:02 am 
hmmm, stress. Symptons for me are that I lose my appetite and stop eating.

Solution A is to take it out on a hockey ball. Its surprising how much frustration can be eliviated that way for me.

If that doesn't work plan B is that my team-mates are fantastic drinking partners who always manage to take care of me when required. So far that is. At the moment I'm not allowed to play so its plan B all the way baby! (empty stomach be darned).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:11 am 
I feel you on the migraine tip Ruth. Usually get about four a month. Cold rags over the eyes work wonders, as does massaging the back of your head.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:12 am 
Thankfully, I am not to prone to stress. However, when it does pay me a visit, I deal with it by taking my dog for a long walk. This always relaxes me and gives me the opportunity to reflect and try to put some kind of perspective on the cause of the stress and how to resolve it.

Tara, I think that she would de-stress by reading a good book, somewhere peaceful and outdoors. Willow, she would bake lots of cookies, for the entire scooby gang to munch.

Ann-Marie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:30 am 
When I am stressed at work which is usually most of the time I drink coffee which doesn't really help so I then get more sarcastic than usual. Which makes matters worst cause my boss gives me an earful about it.

I have discovered that hitting a shuttlecock very hard, helps with stress, but my badminton partner isn't to keen on that. :lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:37 am 
I don't. Cant handle stress.

To paraphrase Xander: 'I laugh in the face of stress and then run away and hide until it goes away'

Which is why I have no wish to ascend the slippery pole which is ambition.
Just leave me alone to get on with what I do best, but please pay me a bit more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:53 am 
To quote Still Waters

" I don't."

Generally I panic, blame myself yada yada and curl up in bed untill I have to go do something that makes money. Usually called work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:53 am 
I exercise if I can... surf the web if I'm at work. I drink more coffee than is probably good for me (and which actually only makes the stress worse, but damn, it's tasty). One good way to diminish stress is to get enough sleep. :rofl Yeah, right!

More coffee!
Firefoot
-----

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:07 am 
Oh, heh, marvellous. So I'm watching Emmerdale and Zoe has just been diagnosed as a schizophrenic. She looks quite happy about it actually, and her line was...

"Yes, goes quite well with being lesbian really."

Um...can I just hold up my hand and voice some dissent here? I personally find that not being a schizophrenic goes just as well with being lesbian.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:11 am 
Yeah, what in the hell is that all about, Ruth? I mean, if she'd said "Gemini" in the place of lesbian, that might have made a bit of sense, but really... some people.

Stress. Hmmm. I have a great many nervous habits, the most notable of which is certainly my internet addiction. When I actually do constructive things to relieve stress, they take the form of hot bubble baths, playing piano (although until I live with my piano again, for now I have to play on Jer's back, heh), cuddling, and sex. Orgasms do amazing things for stress. Lemme tell ya.

And we've taken to foot massage to relieve physical tension lately, too. Those are niiiice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:13 am 
With stress my neck and shoulders become rock-hard and only meditation and/or massages calm it down. Sometimes they are conducent to migraines... :( It got better since I learnt to recognize the symptoms early and stop just for ten minutes or so to relax before needing medicines or physiotherapy.

Also playing with my cats in the garden helps a lot...

About our girls, I guess Tara would help Willow destress with some nice massages with warm lavender oil. And Willow will read a sweet and calming story to Tara while she tries to relax with her eyes closed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:33 am 
I don't handle stress...I ignore it until I get hit by it. Sometimes, I don't notice that I'm stressed until I crave cigarettes and walk around laughing like a hyena all the time...

Tara: Meditation. Tea. Some Indian breathing exercices (OK, that's what my Mom would do, too).

Willow: I think, Tara would just need to sing her to sleep. Otherwise, I think she has the tendency to ignore stress.

Anyway, good day to everyone. Fortunately, around here it's almost time to go to bed again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:16 pm 
Well Ruth, I sympathise. Migraines are hell. I started getting them regularly after I had a hysterectomy I was told that they were a hormonal side-effect and that it would eventually settle down. Can I just say that I would rather go through the whole hysterectomy - including secondary operations - again, rather than suffer another migraine?

Anyway, stress reliefI think Tara would probably meditate and Willow would either play some computer games, like bookworm. Then again, there is the hot sex option of stress relief..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:30 pm 
How do I handle stress? Well, I used to binge and purge. Apparently it's not so healthy; so I stopped that. Now, I don't have any useful techniques for coping with stress. I just freak out. I'm a total spaz for a bit, then I settle down, and walk, or sleep or something, try to breathe deeply again. It's very effective. I also beg friends for back massages. Love those ;)

As for Willow, I think she'd try using a squishy ball, then when that doesn't work, she'd maybe go online or go into research-mode or something, give herself something to do, throw herself into her work. Tara might bake. Oh God, how cute would that be? (I feel like a bit of a schoolgirl after saying that.) Or maybe she'd meditate.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:33 pm 
How do I handle stress?? Three words:

.. PRIMAL SCREAM THERAPY..

works every time.. of course you have to be very careful when & where you practice this therapy. I suggest a back country road, away from any buildings & with the vehicle windows rolled up... and with a friend. The screams and the laughter make the symptoms of built up stress ... run in absolute terror.

as to screaming, when I saw SMG scream in Hush, my first reaction was "what a wimpy scream!!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:47 pm 
OMG - well now, that's something to raise stress levels :angry - gee, and it's been how many years since being gay was delisted in the DMS - being a lesbian just has so much in common with mental illness - morons, grumble, grumble, grumble.

But back on to stress - really like some of your suggestions (massage, primal scream, tea, Kitten Board :) )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:52 pm 
Stress? I'm one of those kittens who doesnt really realized shes very stressed out....but not until I get sick. I realize im strassed when I either

a) Get in the car and turn metallica of slipknot allll as high as the speakers will take it, and head for the highway or a nice long backroad

b)I attempt to write or paint, and end up snapping my pen/painbrush respectivly, or

c)I start to take it out on my girlfriend unfortunatly, and she snaps me the hell out of it

I think will and tara would go to each other if they were really stressed. I think Tara would notice something was up with Willow because she wouldnt be herself, and if Tara were stressed, she wouldnt show it outwardly, but would come to willow to help her work things out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:23 pm 
When I get stressed I sleep, or go and uhm...erm...:jho

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:37 pm 
Aaaah, schizophrenia... one of the most annoying things about people talking about this disease (not as bad as saying it goes well with lesbianism, but still) is to hear them assume that it's multiple personality disorder... maybe it comes from being the daughter of two psych profs, but NO IT'S NOT! They're two entirely seperate diseases! As you can probably tell, it's mid-term season, which = stress for Nora... I deal with lots of aerobics and getting mad at everything! Ov vey... -Nora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:18 pm 
I am so happy to be back.. I haven't posted on the board in about two months. I've missed everyone.

How do I handle stress? I usually start screaming at inanimate objects.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:33 pm 
Stress? what's that? :laugh
No really, i can hardly get stressed, and i know it might seem crazy but i can't even stress for exams! And then my mother is getting stressed that i'm not stressed, can you believe how weird it is!
But if i happen to be stressed, once in a while, like once a year :lol no i'm kidding it might get to twice :grin , i drink some tea and isolate myself to go in "happy thoughts" land!

I think that Tara is dealing with stress better than Willow but hey i can't know for sure but what i'm sure of is that they are the best therapy for each other :heart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:46 pm 
Stress is my life, so Im not sure what its like to NOT be stressed. When its more prevalent than usual, walking is my primary remedy. Walking, running, hiking, any kind of movement seems to help. Warm bubble baths are also helpful, and I try to get a full body massage every three weeks or so. I generally try to ignore it though, until it builds up to a point where it refuses to be ignored any longer. Thats when primal scream therapy is called for.
:rage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:37 pm 
Well for stress I do have a tendency to try ignore it for as long as possible, which usually ends up giving me a headache (adding on to my stress). Other alternatives include just going for a drive, walking (especially like going on the nature trails at a nearby park where I live), listening to calming music (which includes this relaxing tape of sounds of the ocean), a hot cup of tea while reading some fluff (it helps to be stroking my cats at the same time), and when all else fails I take out my tennis racket and brutally hit the ball against the racquetball wall in order to get my frustrations/stress out of my system (I especially love picturing the problem/person that's causing my stress as the tennis ball as I hit it :smash ).