The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Amusement Park Monday, MKF! 02/24/03
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:41 am 
My brain works in very mysterious ways. I'm staying home from work today because I'm sick, and it's not really the stuffy nose or sneezing that's bothering me, it's the dizziness. Every time I move, the room spins around me. The first 30 times or so, it was kinda fun, you know, like a roller-coaster ride. (After several hours, however, the novelty wore off.)

Anyway, that got me thinking about roller-coaster rides, and amusement park rides in general. Man, I miss amusement parks. Haven't been to one in forever. I like to ride all the biggest baddest roller-coasters, and the spinny thing (don't know what it's called) that's shaped like a cylinder where you're pressed up against the wall, and of course the Tilt-A-Whirl. Can't forget that one. :)

So, Kittens, what are your favorite amusement park rides? Will you ride anything, or do you have to be careful because of motion sickness? (My mom has that. She won't even get on the little baby rides.)

And what do you think Willow and Tara would do at an amusement park? Would they be daredevils and do all the thrill-seeking stuff, or would they stay on the ground and be content with sharing cotton candy and funnel cake?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:50 am 
i live right by this big park (alton towers for any uk kitties) so i pretty much live there during the summer, being so close we always tend to get free tickets for various reasons :D theres this one ride that drops you vertically down, head first.. it was like the first ride of its kind of something and thats one of my favourites :D its fun once you get over the whole can't breath for a few seconds thing

i think willow and tara would be willing to go on anything as long as they were together :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:21 am 
Hanki I love Alton Towers and the ride you are talking about it the oblivion yes? I laughed all the way around that one. I really enjoyed the Nemisis and the Ricksaw (even though it broke on us) as well. I haven't tried any theme parks over in the US though so far.

Edited because I forgot too say get well soon Pipsqueak.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:27 am 
yeah the oblivion! theres a new ride now called 'air' that you lie down in the carts and it feels like you're flying..haven't been on it yet but fully intend to soon.. the nemisis and ripsaw rock also but it broke down on you?.. hope it wasn't when it was upside down or anything? :\

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:31 am 
Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH (USA) boasts what is supposed to be one of the oldest roller coasters still in operation in the area (if not the entire country... not sure on that one). It's not nearly as thrilling as the flip-you-upside-down variety to be found at more modern parks, but for scaring you witless that baby can't be matched. Mostly because you're clutching the sides wondering if it's going to hold together long enough to get you to the end! The tracks are up on this big old-fashioned wooden scaffolding that's painted white, and the train makes this ominous rickety noise as it s l o w l y climbs that first big hill. But it's SO much fun when you go plunging down the other side.

They also used to have something called the Turkish Twist, which was one of those centrifugal force thingies that would spin you around so fast and so hard you'd be plastered to the wall. I think they eventually got rid of that thing; it made a lot of people sick.

The best rides I've ever been on were down at Bush Gardens in Virginia (1991). The Loch Ness Monster has two loops and is insanely fun. But even better is the Big Bad Wolf, which is like a roller coaster where the cars are suspended from an overhead rail rather than riding on top of one. There's one point in the ride where you're whipping around a corner and plunging straight down toward this ornamental pond... right as you hit the bottom of the turn (exactly where you feel like you're gonna plunge into the drink), water squirts out of the support tower, and if you're in the right spot, hits you square in the face, so that for one milisecond, you think you have gone into the water. It's freakin' diabolical, but SO much fun. :grin

I haven't been to an amusement park in ages... I developed sinus problems a few years ago, and tend to get nasty vertigo. But I love roller coasters. :party

W/T would probably love amusement parks, too, as the rides would appeal to the inner child in both of them. Not to mention the cotton candy and fried dough. :D

Firefoot
-----

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:32 am 
No it broke down at the top of one of it's spins, it was great. They had to restart the programme four times before it all went through ok. We were on it for ages. The new one sounds good and if I am ever back in the UK again I should try and go there. Safer than going to see my parents that's for sure ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:38 am 
I love Disneyland. I am not big on the rollercoasters, I mean I enjoy them but something about the smaller rides gets to me, maybe because I hate lines.

I love Pirates of the Caribbean, the haunted mansion, mr. toad's wild ride, peter pan's flight, the jungle cruise.

And I love all the water rides, like in magic mountain, the roaring rapids. And any swinging boat/ship ride, like the buccaneer. Simple pleasures.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:42 am 
hehehee well there is always that... i think i'd die if a ride broke down while i was on it.. then again knowing my luck it *would* be when it was upside down...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:48 am 
Ugh, I used to be THE biggest rollercoaster freak. I did the Loch Ness, The Comet, the Superdooperlooper, several Hersheypark rides, that centrifugal force spinning thingie (which was fine for me when I was younger but after watching some kid puke when we were on it and it did this odd floating thing to the center of the ride, I've never been on it again), several Disneyland rides, plus every ride in King's Dominion, Great Adventure and every water park in between on the East Coast, my body has had enough. If I even LOOK at a rollercoaster now, I dry heave. Speaking of the spins, I seem to have acquired that little problem this week too. :puke so it's off to the physician's for me. Bleh!

BTW: WHOO HOO! Nora Jones took EIGHT GRAMMYS!! You GO, grrlfriend! :applause :party :clap I had no doubt whatsoever that was the best new artist this year. :glasses

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:34 am 
Oh God, I get so sick at amusment parks. Great America, Six Flags is about an hour away and the last time I whent I threw up. It was on one of those boats that rock back and forth, and I made it off the ride only to puke right in the water. God that was embarrasing..

But I do love the funnel cakes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:01 am 
hope you feel better soon :)

i'm afraid that after an ill fated trip on some giant wooden rollercoaster at six-flags texas all fairground rides have been ruined forever. my inner eight year old emerges as i scream and fight to get out. i went with my mum and as soon as the car started to move i knew it was a bad idea...

it's weird you mention it though ~(well kind of) because i dreamt about a rollercoaster last night.. although it was the one at aberdeen beach ("Cadona's-the only permanent fairground in scotland! my hometown groan groan) and it is extremely puny (although i hear it's improved since i left). i've only been on it once though, and under EXTREME peer pressure kind of duress. i was 13 i think and everyone else was doing it or that was my excuse anyway :whistle
*looks shifty while trying to forget huge geekiness as a teenager*
Um, anyway, so I am always the one holding the coats and stuff while everyone else laughs at me behind my back (no! no! they don't! they like me-i'm a grown up now right!?) Sheesh better go before this turns into more nerd therapy :sigh

i think that willow and tara would love the fairground, but more all the stalls where you can shoot for toys and stuff. and, of course, the candyfloss and dubious hotdogs.

xox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:34 am 
I used to love going on all the big rides, but then i got a permanant ear infection and get dizzy very easy so its not so much fun anymore.

when i was younger my family used to go to Butlins :blush and there was a cool ride called nightrider that was a a waltzer on a waltzer like :confused
I liked that, but i always used to puke after :puke (yuk)

i think willow and tara would like more of the gental rides. I can imagine them on the Ghost train, snuggled up together :drool .

Caz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:06 am 
Awww, thanks Puff and bluemote! :kiss

hmh, oh dear, it must be the loopiness from the flu; I read one of your sentences as "i think willow and tara would like more of the genital rides." Which I'm sure is also true. :p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:44 am 
I grew up about 1 mile from Riverside Park, which is now Six Flags New England. It with the only amusement park Ive ever visited. I went just about every weekend as a kid. When I got older, my summer job for 4 years was as a ride operator, everything from the kiddie rides to the big steel coasters.

I love the steel coasters. I was disappointed during my last visit to Six Flags NE that the line for Superman, Ride of Steel was 2+ hours. My friends and I settled for the Batman roller coaster, which was great. My favorite non-coaster ride is one called the Tomahawk. The seats are placed around the edge of a circular platform, which is the base of a swinging arm. Youre spinning and swinging back and forth at the same time. Sometime the swinging and spinning are going in the opposite direction and it feels like the ride is going slow, then the motions will get in sync and feel incredibly fast. The changes in speed and direction are so disorienting, just like a great ride should be.

I can imagine Willow and Tara enjoying the spinning rides where you cant help being pressed against your companion by the force of the ride.

p.s. Feel better soon, Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:56 am 
I adore going to Goose fair, a huge travelling fair that descends on Nottingham during September every year.

I also enjoy going to Alton Towers but its a bit far away from me now. I love Nemesis & Oblivion. I used to love the Missile, which was at The American Adventure theme park, oh and Shockwaves too, that one was at Dryton Manor. It was a loop the loop rollercoaster but you were standing up rather than sitting.

Ripsaw, is that the one where they squirt water at you? :confused

I can go on most rides except Walzters. The fast spinning makes me sick, plus Ive seen too many episodes of Casualty where the cars havent been proper fixed down and people have had there legs mangled.
:spin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:01 am 
California Screamin' at Disney's California Adventure, and Space Mountain at Disneyland. I also like the slow rides at Disneyland, like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, and, on hot days, Small World. I have this nostalgic thing for the Matterhorn, because it was the first roller coaster (and I use the term loosely here) that I ever rode.

A few years ago, I took GF to Knott's Berry Farm for her birthday. GF loves thrill rides, and she thought Knott's would have more thrills than Disneyland. So, off to Knott's. Riding Ghostrider was a mind-altering experience, especially in the very back car. Very much fun. But I didn't like Supreme Scream. GF said that I was screaming obscenities at her the whole time the ride was dropping us from however many stories up. Something like, "You #$@&$#, I can't believe I let you talk me into going on this %@#$* ride," only less coherent.

My mother loves roller coasters. She'll turn to me at the apex of the tightest curve in Space Mountain and say, "Doesn't the ride seem a little slow tonight?"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:12 am 
I'm hijacking another daily thread to natter on about whats happening in what I laughingly call my career. Starting Wedenesday and through March 4, I'm going to be out of town again for rehershals of my play in Knoxville, TN.

I'll probably be away from the net all that time (though if I have a chance I'll check in). But with my luck, I just know the cancelation(s)/no spin off announcements will be made that week and I'll miss all our jubilations.

So if that happens, sing and say Amen, somebody, for me, willya?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:46 am 
Hey, good for you Ben!

I used to love rollercoasters, but the last time I was on a big one I had that "WHY am I on this?! This is CRAZY!" moment a few times. Sitting, standing and legs swinging in the air. Woo. Six Flags is the one with the biggest coasters around here.

So, I generally like amusement parks but I have to be in the mood to deal with all the annoying people. :grin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:57 am 
[quote:b49b62a08c]Quote:
and the spinny thing (don't know what it's called) that's shaped like a cylinder where you're pressed up against the wall
[/quote:b49b62a08c]I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but when I read that I thought of the Gravitron. We used to ride it at county fair when it came through every year. It was cool. You get in, stand against the wall, and it starts spinning around real fast and you feel weightless.

I don't live too far from Six Flags Over Georgia, so in the summer I would go a lot. I always liked the Free Fall, and the Looping Starship rides. Last time I went I liked the Viper which was a short roller coaster but went really fast forwards and then backwards. Since then I think they've extended it and renamed it. I haven't been in a while to try out the new roller coasters, but I hear there are some really good ones now.

Kasey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:08 pm 
Hee hee hee...

There are sooooo many great rides. Disney World rides in Florida are the bestest rides I have ever been on. Splash Mountain rocks especially when your the last ones in the park...but then your on your way to get there and you pass a HUGE cockroach climbing up a wall!!!:puke Ewwwwwwwwww. Oh gosh, I just HAD to reply to this post. Hey, anyone want to read a full detailed report on my trip to Disnet World?:hmm Didn't think so.;) Okay...I love fast, scary rides. My Mom worked at an amusment park one year called Funtown/Splashtown U.S.A. Thank goodness for season passes.:grin I was in a pool so much my hair got all sticky...and I was on a rollercoaster so much that I almost fell asleep on it. It gets boring...got so boring doing the same things everyday, I almost commit suicide there...seriously! Let's see...some original rides...um...er...those pirate ship things are always fun!!!:cool

What would :willow and :tara do? Hmmmmm...I think both would be kinda scared to do all kinds of really big rides and stuff. But I'm sure they would agree to try them if they went on them together.:love :cry Whaaaaa! Why did Tara hafta die?!?!:cry

Hey FireFoot...Canobie Lake Park rocks.:party I thought they still had that turkish twist thing...gosh, thats fun. I went there a few years ago...went on it twice. That huge yellow rollercoater thats there rocks too. And how about The Boston Tea Party?

-Minya2
-Minya2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:46 pm 
It's been years since I've been to Wonderland, but I did always love the coasters. My favourite had to be Top Gun, the hanging one where your feet dangle. I always wondered how many shoes get lost on that one.

The giant swing is also always fun; and I'm with Xita about the water rides, great for cooling off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:36 pm 
Let's say this once... I love rollercoasters, amusement parks & fairs. (But I won't go on most rides at a fair, because I don't trust them.)

I've been going to Cedar Point in Ohio for too too many years to admit. I've been on all the rollercoasters there & love them. The Blue Streak is the oldest & is a wooden one that also makes you wonder if it will hold together for your ride. I've been stuck on the Corkscrew as it went up the first hill (about 20 minutes of sitting at a 45 degree angle can be fun) but it wasn't our cartrain that had the problem it was one of the other trains... don't really know why... but they had to tow it into the station. Cedar Point is a great park. It's quite old, but they keep adding stuff to it & the rollercoasters are the biggest draw... also the beach & water park on the lake. (lake erie)

Bytrsuite, I like Great America.. I've been there a few times... it's nice, but comparing it to Cedar Point, it seemed a little "plastic" being in the middle of a former cornfield. But it's fun & as I pass it going on the Tollway, I look at the east & see the rides... and remember..

The first amusement park I ever went to was Edgewater Park on Seven Mile in Northwest Detroit.... and it was grand!! and scary, because I thought that the roller coaster was actually going to fall apart!!! but it was grand to go there...

I wanna go on a rollercoaster this year!!! :cry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:00 pm 
I haven't been on a rollercoaster for quite a while, but when I get the chance I like it a lot.

There's a very cool one in Las Vegas (I think it was at the MGM, but I'm not sure). It's not particulary big or scary in itself, but you're actually riding in total darkness so you don't have any idea where you're going to go next. Lots of fun :grin

I rode one of these big swinging ships once and am never going to do that again. I don't know why, but I was very sick. And I've never had any problems with rollercoaster or other stuff that is a lot wilder than this innocent-looking ship *shrugs*

Get well Pipsqueak, and I absolutely love your avatar even though it makes me dizzy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:13 pm 
I love the Alpengeist at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA. It's a suspended coaster (the gimmick is it's supposed to be like an out-of-control ski lift) with a ton of loops and corkscrews (my favorite.)

My husband's fave is the Apollo's Chariot (also at Busch Gardens) -- because he likes really fast coasters. We're both complete coaster junkies -- during a recent trip to Disney we went to the DisneyQuest virtual amusement park and did the design-your-own-virtual-coaster thing. We went nuts with loops and giant hills and super speed. And even though it was just a dinky virtual reality thing, we stumbled out of the pod-thing dizzy and sick (and we never get sick on coasters.) The kicker was, our killer coaster only rated a 3 out of a possible 5 for difficulty. I would seriously hate to ride a 5!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:14 pm 
I love rollercoasters! My favorite is Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Southern California. It doesn't have any loops or anything, but it is really tall, really fast, has really steep drops and is a nice long ride. It is a really fun ride. Some of the other new rides there, like Deja Vu, are scary, but short and not as fun, so Goliath is just the best. I also love Batman because of all the loops and corkscrews.

A couple of years ago I brought my little sister to Magic Mountain and we went on Batman. She was so angry that the ride messed up her hair that she wouldn't go on anything else the rest of the day. :lol It was hillarious. She did the same thing on Splash Mountain when she was little because her dress got wet. I guess that just shows how different we are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:21 pm 
We used to make an annual pilgrimage to Cedar Point every year when I was younger, but I havent been there in forever. I dont really have all that much of an urge to go there anymore, because I dont really miss going on the rides. I had a very bad experience on a nasty ride at Bob-Lo Island during the Gay Pride moonlight cruise quite a few years back, and since then I cant even look at a roller coaster without getting sick. :puke . I have to content myself with something a little more sedate like the mill ride.

Tara and Willow might have a good time getting lost in the funhouse or cruising through the tunnel of love.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:51 pm 
I love amusement parks, and I will ride just about anything.

My Favorite Rollercoasters:

Busch Gardens: Apollo's Chariot, The Lochness Monster, Alpengeist

Kings's Dominion: Shockwave, Rebel Yell, Anaconda

Carowinds: Vortex, Top Gun, Cyclone, Thunder Road,
Goldrusher

Six Flags over Georgia: The Viper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:30 am 
Morning Everyone,
Well here we have Six Flags Great Adventure. I haven't been there in a few years but it has some great rollercosters. The Great American Scream Machine is one of my favorites. Another roller coster I love and I don't know if the Kittens who went to Vegas had a chance to experience it is the one at the top of the Statusphere. Its an outdoor rollercoster that is about 750-1000 feet in the air. Just being up there is a little scarey but the ride was worth it.
As the big Mickey Mouse fan that I am, my favorite amusement park is Disney World. I like all the rides there. And like Xita, I get a big kick out of Mr Toads Wild Ride. Its just too cute. But I love Space Mountain. I could live on that one.
Well, off to work. Have a good day!!!

Love to All,
Barb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:56 am 
Amusement Parks are cool :cool
Although I have a problem with motion so can't go on rollercoaters and stuff like that cause I get really dizzy.