The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's Pancake Tuesday MKF 03/04/03
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:12 am 
Well here in the UK pancake day is finally upon us and my as my efforts at 1am went tits up I shall be making pancakes once again, this time sober. So first question of the day, what are everybodys favorite pancakes fillings? :)

We all know Tara is the queen of pancakes, but what are here and Willows favorites? Being typically British, I would have to go for lemon juice and sugar.

The whole reason behind Shrove Tuesday is to use up eggs and milk, products traditional given up for lent, now I am not an incredibly religious person, but I always give something up for lent. This year, I am giving up alcohol, 40 whole days, Ill keep you posted on how I get on.:rolleyes

So my other question is what would you give up for 40 days?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:24 am 
Aunt Bessie is making my pancakes :lol
I'll just have lemon and sugar as a topping on them.
As for Willow&Tara,probably maple syrup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:13 am 
I'm giving up bullshitting. No, really, I am. Heh. I'm also giving up sex.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:41 am 
mmmm pancake avatar mmmmmmmmmmm

you're giving up sex!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe you, or I refuse to since you've inspire so much naughtyness in me with your FInal Exam fic.

As for pancakes being from CAnada I can only have one answer Maple Syrup - good for other things too, but those that are giving up sex probably shouldn't think about that.

What would I give up? HMMMMM. :fallen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:44 am 
Okay..I have to ask..

whats pancake day?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:45 am 
Mmm. I wish I had pancakes in my belly. I just tried the "pumpkin nut loaf" we got at Trader Joe's this weekend, and found it terribly disappointing. Some moron stuck it full of raisins. Bleh. Oh well. I'll go to work and have a nice toasty bagel.

Ruf, love the new avatar. Hee. You and your rounds.
( . ) ( . )

;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:27 am 
Actually Jho, mine are more like funny shapes. Heh.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:15 am 
:hmm

Funny shapes, you say? They look round from here. Perhaps I should feel them, just to be sure. :grin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:27 am 
WiccansIllusion Pancake day is Shrove Tuesday which happens at the start of lent (tomorrow is Ash Wednesday). People made pancakes to use up all the fat etc that they couldn't eat during lent and sometimes they give someting up. Of course all this supposed healthy eating during lent is ruined at Easter when everyone gorges themselves on chocolate easter eggs.

I'm going to make pancakes sometime tonight and have them with sugar and lemon. Yummy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:38 am 
Happy pancake day all! We didnt to get make pancakes at school, and I'm not sure I want to attempt to cook in a building without a fully automated fire alarm system. Soo....no pancakes for me today :(

Ruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:51 am 
I'm eating pancakes right now! All with embracing new traditions. :D Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries. Yummy! Ok, probably not the same thing that the British Kitties are talking about but still . . .

Sadly, it appears I will be giving up sex for Lent as well . . . :cry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:51 am 
Favourite topping?? Has to be yummy chocolate spread (Nutella if possible) and sprinkles of coconut... :)

What I'm gonna give up?
Have given up sex for far too long... 40 more days won't hurt that much! :p
What would really be painful would be to give up reading fanfiction but I'm far too weak for that. But only an evil mind would ask me to do that... :devilish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:13 am 
Pancake Day's here! Yay!!

I loved pancake day as a kid - our pancakes were filled with money (coins wrapped in wax paper). When I was very young I used to get a nickle and my older brothers got a dime (a nickle = 5 cents; dime = 10 cents for Kittens unfamiliar with Canadian money system) hidden in one of the pancakes on our plate. That nickle would buy a half a bag of candy - penny candy was 2 or 3 pieces for a penny. I graduated up to a quarter (25 cents) and would happily share a chocolate bar, bag of chips and a coke with my friends! Wealth beyond my wildest dreams. :lol

These delictable treats were always topped with yummy real maple syrup.

As for giving up things for Lent? Coffee, chocolate, sex? What, are you guys nuts!! Colour me eternally damned, but I'd rather die and let my soul rot in the hellfire and brimstone abyss than give these things up :lol - ah, nothing like life with the baptists.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:55 am 
MMM...pancakey goodness. I like the British ones (rather like what north americans call crepes) with lemon and sugar and the puffy round ones like Tara makes with maple syrup (but not the nasty fake stuff).

As for giving things up. I'm too hedonistic for that. And I'm the mother of a young baby - I've given up enough already! [img:896fc4daa1]http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/ohwell.gif[/img:896fc4daa1]
yours,
Bronwyn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:07 am 
When I was in college, they used to serve us chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. :drool They were soooo good! Only problem was, the sugar rush would usually kick out in the middle of my first lecture, and I'd be fighting sleep for the rest of the hour. :sleep

On a slightly off-topic note, has anyone seen the Fellowship of the Ring extended DVD? There was a wonderfully funny scene that got cut, where Legolas is telling Merry and Pippin that a mouthful of lembas can keep a grown man on his feet for a whole day, and after he takes off, one of the hobbits admits to the other (I forget which was which) that he'd eaten four whole cakes of the stuff, whereupon he gets this slightly queasy expression. I was ROTFL!! :rofl

As for giving things up for Lent, feh. I'm an on-again off-again Pagan--no giving up anything for me! :D

Although I do know a woman who tried giving up fanfic for Lent!! It didn't work too well.

Firefoot
-----

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:15 am 
mmmm..... :love pancakes!

I have just finished cooking mine.....I had orange juice and sugar. Lovely.

I do admit though that I also love savoury pancakes but forgot to buy the filling for them! :(

Nevermind.....I have made enough mix for about another 10 people too! Good job my Dad and little sister are calling later :lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:20 am 
Ah Pancake Day! I had completely forgotten about it...and was wondering what to make for dinner tonight. Looks like its going to be pancakes, with lemon and sugar and maybe, home-made ice cream. Maybe not entirely nutritionally balanced, but nice to eat!
Now - funny shapes or round.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:55 am 
Well, I was going to have the traditional lemon and sugar variety, only to find that the lemon juice has been in the cupboard for a year and has a nice layer of mould on the rim. So I went for some rather scrummy vanilla sugar instead. It was a toss up between that and golden syrup.

Can't think of anything I'm going to give up, maybe I should just give up any hope that my footie team won't get relegated this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:58 am 
well, i cant cook to save my life, but i may try to make sum tomorrow when i have eggs.

As for giving things up for lent iam not sure, any suggestions??

Caz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:04 pm 
Caz,

You could give up being stubborn and go and post a bloody picture in the piccie thread! :lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:13 pm 
paaaancaaaaakes. Mmmmmmmm. For the toppings...its all about one word kitties...

Nutella

MMmmmmmm *drools* What I wouldn't give for some nutella right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:39 pm 
Mmmm...it's pancakes in bellies day!!.

'A nice layer of mould on the rim' - Nix 42 - I really worry about you sometimes !

If we're talking crepes here, it just has to be the traditional caster sugar and lemon juice - I grew up with those. Crepes Suzette can also be alot of fun, providing ample opportunities for setting fire to various parts of the kitchen...or indeed, ones own head.

I broke with tradition today and had American pancakes with banana and maple syrup. :devil

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:51 pm 
Patches: I'm with you on the maple syrup - nothing else will do on pancakes or waffles.

I never got money in a pan cake, but I did in a birthday cake - my aunt would do just as you described, wrap coins in wax paper and hide them in the cake. Fun stuff.

Not Christian in any real sense here, so I'm not giving up one darned thing. Ha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:19 pm 
Because of this thread, I am making myself pancakes for dinner. I went searching through all my cookbooks (i loooove reading cookbooks) and decided to make gingerbread pancakes. I'm not sure what I'll put on top of them ... maybe just a sprinkling of sugar? maple syrup might be a little overkill. maybe just some sliced fruit. lemon goes well with gingerbread, maybe i'll make a lemon topping of some sort :)

mmmmm pancakes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:34 pm 
choco chips are my fav pancake topping. with lotsa butter and syrup. as for Lent, I'm giving up on giving up things. I can never hold out. :p

~Erica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:34 pm 
Geezy La...you're not allowed to talk of your cooking skills so often. You make me huuuuuuuuungry all the time *giggles*

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:31 pm 
Pancake Day as I know it has ended. It's official.

There was a time when I would come home from school/work to find my mum grafting away over a hot stove, churning out pancakes like nobody's business.

She'd flip them and everything. And there'd be different fillings.

But today...well today the pancakes were frozen. And microwaved. And totally un-flippy.

I feel like my childhood has ended. Sigh. Still, I guess I managed to make it to 28. That's a pretty good innings :grin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:32 pm 
Pancakes! I had some this morning soo good! I usually just have maple syrup but if Im feeling "healthy" :grin I have strawberry toppings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:46 pm 
I like chocolate chip pancakes.

Nutella is nice too. I'm all about the chocolate.

Something something something. . . OH! Lent story:

I have a friend who is Catholic whose little cousin was four and told to give up something very very special to him for Lent. His response:

[i:f4572cbdea]I'm giving up Jesus![/i:f4572cbdea]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:18 pm 
It may be pancake day for some, but in Detroit (actually Hamtramck) its paczki day. Paczki are very, very rich jelly doughnuts made especially for Fat Tuesday so that you can gorge yourself with calories before giving up such decadence for Lent. Its a Polish tradition and both my Mother and my Moms Mother used to make them from scratch. Unfortunately, I dont like jelly doughnuts, so its a tradition thats wasted on me.