The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's a food rituals weekend, 4/5-4/6/03, MKF
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:28 pm 
Okay, it's early early Sunday morning on the east coast, and there isn't a weekend thread yet! (Unless I'm blind, and am completely missing it)

There are so many rituals surrounding food, whether they're religious, or personal, or cultural. What is your favorite food ritual? And what do you think Willow and Tara might have as their favorite ritual?

My favorite ritual surrounding food happens every time I make something for other people. First I have to pull out all my cookbooks and read through tons of different recipes. Picking one or two, then reading more and choosing other recipes instead, then modifying them by adding my own personal touches. Then there's the making of the food. But the best part is giving it or serving it to other people and seeing their reactions to your food, whether they're good or bad. That's my favorite food ritual - other people's reactions to my cooking.

I think Willow would be rather fond of Tara's pancake making and the ritual of being asked every time for rounds or funny shapes. Tara would like the after eating ritual of rubbing Willow's tummy :grin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 8:36 pm 
Mmm, tummy rubbing.

I love cooking with my girl. I don't cook often otherwise, but when we're together we try to cook. Pancakes, usually.

I also. . . It comes from fondue, where if you drop bread in the fondue pot, you're supposed to kiss the person next to you (or something). But my first kiss with my girl came from when she dropped her chip in the salsa, and I called her on it and made her kiss me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:18 am 
I don't cook much - cause basically I can't see the TV from the kitchen.

One of my favourite rituals is the big family dinner at my Mum's place. We often get together on Sunday night for roast lamb with plenty of roast veges and mint sauce. There are always lots of laughs and conversation. It will be a while before I get home again and I'll really miss it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:09 am 
My favourite food ritual is when I have a hangover I go to either a pub or greasy spoon cafe for a full English breakfast. Egg, Bacon, Sausage, Black pudding, tomato, mushrooms the lot. Mmmmm fry up.

In Sunderland, most of the pubs do fantastic all day breakkie. Which is all of the above with chips too. Mmmm chips.

Can you tell it is nearly lunch time here? I think I am going to have to find someone to go to the pub with me.

On a side note, wow I have 18 whole hours to myself before I need to go to work again, I hate my life .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:12 am 
Yanno.....I saw a daily thread that had to do with food....and how did I guess that La was the one who started it ^_^ You know I'm going to have to drive down to you one day so you can make me some of the ever famous food your always talking about. *beams*

I don't have very many food rituals...but the one I can think of is with my girlfriend. Every now and then she always makes this huge dinner of pasta and the yummiest sauce and meatballs, and garlic bread, and we'll grab something to drink (ocassionaly being incredibly cheesy enough to pull out some nice glasses) and we'll have a little picnic in front of the television, and put opn some buffy DVD's *beams* what more could a girl ask for? heheh:rofl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:22 am 
I have to ask..or maybe I don't, but whats Veges?

As for rituals, generaly I pick my roomie up from work on sundays and we make dinner. Although we made dinner on sat night this week for some reason, since I'm breaking tomarrows dinner date for dinner with my mom.

As for Willow and Tara, pancakes are a definite. As well as an occasional picnic here or there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:27 am 
My rituals are mostly unconscious. But at least 2 aren't.

When I eat M&Ms I sort them by color, then group each color into smaller piles of equal number, then eat one pile at a time.
when eating a sandwich, I always take the first bite from a corner, then balance it by eating the opposite corner, the go to a third corner, the balance that. between bites 4 and 5 I'm holding a cross.

W&T: I agree, pancakes defintiely, but I can't figure what toppings they'd go for, can't get that far into their heads.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:56 am 
Oh food rituals! This is fun...I guess I have lots. And so does the dog, apparently. She has to always leave 4-5 bits of her dry food in the bowl. And she also likes to eat on the carpet. If given a chance, she picks up individual bits and runs through to the carpeted area to eat them.

Human food rituals....well, I like to use wine when I'm cooking - sometimes I even put it in the food. And I (for seem weird reason) like to have a least 3 different vegetables in every meal. Maybe its because I'm vegetarian. If cheese is being used in the meal, the dog has to have a tiny bit as a slice it. If there are visitors - then I have to go through the whole list of things they might be allergic to or dislike. And I don't care to have the hot food with the cold food, unless they are on seperate plates - I think that's something to do with not caring for wilted lettuce!
I think I'll stop there as I probably sound way too strange.......

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:38 pm 
I'm almost anal-retentive about how I arrange things like a simple snack of crackers. I make sure they're all on the plate in an appealing manner, make sure the cheese is all set up just right, I'm very exacting.

Then I go to melt it in the microwave and it never heats evenly. I wonder why I bother? :confused

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:04 pm 
When I eat M&Ms I sort them by color, then group each color into smaller piles of equal number, then eat one pile at a time.

OMG, you mean Im not the only person in the world who does this? This is a ritual I have that absolutely drives my office partner nuts. She thinks its some sort of obsessive/compulsive disorder and shes ready to have me committed for it. I do the same thing with Sweet Tarts too. Hmmmmaybe my office partner is right.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:03 pm 
Rosenberg, you aren't the only one who does the m&m sorting thing. If I'm not eating them while moving, I'm sorting them & then eating them by color... but I try to get a full set of all colors & eat them together... or I set up full sets & then eat the odd colors.... all sorts of weird ways to eat m&m's .... :grin

Other foodish rituals:

I try to eat healthy when I eat out. Like this morning, going to b'fast with a friend, I had a veggie omelette.... with hollandaise sauce on it !!!! heavenly hollandaise!!! MMMMMmmMMM!!

it's really nice when I can sit with my coffee & an apple fritter or muffin for breakfast.

I also like to try different foods... I'm not afraid to try stuff I'm not familiar with... recently, it's been beer... with some of the talk on the board, I decided to try some different beers. The first I tried was Killian's Irish Red. I liked it!! found out I liked that & Newcastle Brown Ale & Speckled Hen Ale. Didn't like Coopers Ale (Austrailian) or Sam Adams Boston Lager(but I will give it another try) & I don't like Leinenkugel (sp)... I will be continuing to try different ones and I am open to suggestions for which ones to try in the next couple of weeks!! Any suggestions, kittens??? Please??

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:12 pm 
There are a couple of strange things I do as far as food goes. If I have soup, for some reason I have to cook either rice or pasta to add to it. Even if it already has some, there just never seems to be enough. Especially tomato soup. I love adding rice to tomato soup.
If I make a sandwhich for dinner, I still have to make a vegetable to go with it. I think that comes from my mom and grandmother enforcing the "eat your vegetable" rule. Now it just comes natural to me.
My grandmother also never whipped potatos, she'd mash them. She wasn't a very big woman and there were always lumps in them. After spending an entire summer with her, the first night home, my mom made mashed potatos and she didn't understand why I kept saying they weren't like Grams. Then I told her they were lumpless. Thats when I learned never tell a mother that something doesn't seem as good as her mother-in-laws. But I gotta have lumps in my mashed potatos. And when I visit Mom, she makes them that way. Thanks Mom!!!
Ok enough of my stupid habits.

Love to All,
Barb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:14 pm 
[quote:a782cf7831]Quote:
Newcastle Brown Ale
[/quote:a782cf7831]

Mmmm. I love Newkie Brown. When you go into Newcastle on the train the smell of the stuff brewing is great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:37 pm 
Okay, weird coincidence. I'm taking it as a sign that I'm meant to work with food in the future. On the food network tonight is a show called "Food miracles in the Bible" and they're talking about food rituals too.

they think that the fish jesus ate was tilapia and that the diet promoted in the bible is a healthy diet. yay food!

next time you're in boston, sara, pop on over and i'll cook for you.

and skittles, my favorite beer happens to be amstel light. it's the beer drinker's light beer! (yeah, i'm a walking advertisement).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:17 pm 
I've had a bowl of cocoa krispies every morning since I was 10 years old, and I'm 17 now. I always make sure they are submerged totally in the milk, then I eat them, and drink the sweet milk when I'm finished - and I hold the bowl and drink it (my mom still gets mad at me for this) but yeah it's something I've done for the longest time. It's insane, I won't eat anything else. So I guess it's kind of ritual.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 4:48 am 
OMG...I love all the amazing M&M people. I have eaten my M&M's by color and count since I was little. My moms got pictures of me sorting them when I was 5. I used to do it with gummi bears (that is untill I got the braces.) Being 24 with braces is not good. I was supposed to be able to eat all the gummi bears I wanted.

Ok. Best food rituals...

Sunday morning after church my family would come home and make pancakes. Dad would make us each a pancake in the letter of our name mine was always an N that never looked like one but it was the thought that counts and all the fun we had making them

Christmas dinner is my second favorite mostly becasue we began cooking it almost two weeks in advance. I'm italian so well we tend to over cook in the most extream way. Think My Big Fat Greek Weding with pasta. The best part is making my family sauce. It takes a week to make but it is sooo worth it. I truely think it has to be the worlds best pasta sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:10 am 
Humm... food rituals...

When I sleep over at my best friend's house, the first and practically only three words I tell him in the morning are: "hot or cold?"

As in, how would you like your coffee.

[img:5a55b52a71]http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/roll.gif[/img:5a55b52a71]