The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's "Who was your Biggest Influence" Wed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:19 pm 
I was thinking, after reading the thread about lesbians in the media about influences. Who has been the biggest influence in your life? Not just tv, but parent, teacher, friend?

And who was the biggest influence in Tara or Willow's life, aside from undoubtly each other?

As for me, my biggest influence has been my dad. He's been there for me for everything, and I doubt I can ever thank him enough.

As for Willow, I think Xander has been a huge influence, not so sure if it's bad or good.

And for Tara, I think her mom.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:18 am 
The second I read "And who was the biggest influence in Tara or Willow's life, aside from undoubtly each other? " I immediately thught of Tara's mother for Tara. Although I do think that perhaps Willow and Tara have been influenced by one another as well.

For me I would have to say my brother. Through and through he is the most amazing person I have ever met, and there has never been a moment when he wasnt there for me. He basically raised me, faced abusive fathers, drug addicts...our mother...being homeless, an abusive wife, divorce, and he is now living with his girlfriend of the past 4 years, with her son, and plans to adopt him and marry her in October, after working countless jobs to help support them as she goes through college again. I am constantly amazed at what he has been through, and he has still come out in the end to be an amazing man....and I need to stop. I haven't seen him in a long time. Oi...

I think I will go call him now....he's probably just getting home from work...

Hope all kitties have a great day ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:57 am 
One of the biggest influences in my life has been my mother. She is an amazing woman who has come through some incredible hardships, and yet has never given in to self-pity, and always retains a positive attitude and a sense of humor.

Almost all of my teachers and professors have had huge influences on me. My 10th grade English teacher encouraged me to write. Today (drumroll), I finished roughing out the final chapter of what I hope will eventually become my first published novel. :dance Fingers crossed!

Many of my friends have had very positive impacts on me too, usually for their kindness, humor, and energy.

Also, one of my email pals has been a constant source of encouragement with my writing and is always pushing me, encouraging me to do the very best I can and not settle for anything less.

Tara's greatest influence? Possibly her mother. There may have been others, but it seems as though her mom is the only person (pre-Willow) she ever mentioned in a positive way.

Willow's greatest influence? Probably Buffy. Buffy befriended Willow and showed her that her "smart" skills (which everyone else considered her a dork for) were not only cool but necessary in the big fight against evil. Through Buffy's influence, Willow grew into a stronger and more confident person.

Xander I think has also been a big influence on her life--mostly because he will always love her, no matter what.

I also think that Giles has been a very strong influence on Willow (and also Jenny Calendar, while she was alive). They showed Willow that (again), you can be smart and cool (and even sexy!). They were probably the strongest adult role models in her life. Oz was also an influence, as he was the first person to find Willow attractive and fall in love with her.

Firefoot
-----

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:15 am 
the biggest influence in my life was my grandfather. he only had a highschool education, but was a hard worker who always made sure that his family was fed and had a roof over their head.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:44 am 
There have been so many influences on my life that I don't think I could come up with one person as a total and complete all inclusive influence.

My dad taught me how to believe in family. That family can do anything as long as they stick together

My opa taught me how to believe in myself. That I can do anything so long as I believe in who I am and remember where I am from and that win or lose I am loved.

My first violin teacher taught me how to love music and creating things that are real and physical with out creating anything. (does that make sense to anyone else?)

My mom taught me love of words. How letters are people with bones and structure and together with other letters they make words and then the words get together and create sentences and the sentences come together to create thoughts. It's all good

I could go on and on. So for me it's not about one great influence it's about everyone I meet who touches my life and whos life I touch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:36 am 
[quote:2240a1341b]Quote:
My opa taught me how to believe in myself.
[/quote:2240a1341b]

Your opa? Are you a little bit Dutch or something? Heh, just curious.
As for me, well when I was a child it was definitely my mother who influenced my life in many ways, one of the most important things has been her arranging for me to go to the particular highschool that I went to, it was in another town and my father was not in favour of it because of that, it was a very good school, I enjoyed it immensely, which is part of the reason why it took me 8 years instead of 6. :p Seriously, going to that school was very good for me and has influenced me for the better. I would not be where I am today if not for my mother, my father died ten years ago, but oddly enough in many ways he has a bigger influence on me now than when he was alive. I can't say that in the past years there is one particular person who influences me more than another. Finding this board has had a pretty big impact for the better. At least now I have a place to stay when I go to NY. :grin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:13 am 
Are we only talking about good influences? There have been dozens of people who've affected me. I'm easily influenced, I guess [img:9bf5e2dc5c]http://thekittenboard.com/board/images/smilies/grin.gif[/img:9bf5e2dc5c].

My mother gave my world structure. She defined rules, good and bad, worthwhile and pointless. Her love propelled me to prove my worth and be fearless. She is fierce, honest and strong. There aren't many qualities in her that I wouldn't wish for myself.

My grandma showed me how respected and powerful a woman can be. Sometimes her greatness does make everyone else small, but she taught me loads (including how to [i:9bf5e2dc5c]read[/i:9bf5e2dc5c]) and I am proud to be related to her.

My sister is the most hardworking and successful person I know. She is everything a young woman should be. Educated and ambitious, and even beautiful. If she tells me directly to do something, I do it.

My brother[img:9bf5e2dc5c]http://thekittenboard.com/board/images/smilies/bow.gif[/img:9bf5e2dc5c] the genius. He has the most brilliant mind. He's rational, inventive, quick, everything. His head is like a friggin gold mind. He always gets me to use my brain, whether on purpose or not. But he also influences me morally if he forbids something, I won't do it. [img:9bf5e2dc5c]http://thekittenboard.com/board/images/smilies/grin.gif[/img:9bf5e2dc5c]

Other than my family, I can name countless friends. Like I said, I'm easily influenced. As for bad influence I would have to name my dad [img:9bf5e2dc5c]http://thekittenboard.com/board/images/smilies/rage.gif[/img:9bf5e2dc5c]. Who's a jerk - and a drunk and unemployed one at that. He gave my family hell before and after my mom finally divorced him. He taught me how low a person can sink, no matter how much potential he has. I think that dealing with him gave me my strength. I would imagine Tara's dead was also a huge influence on her. He oppressed her for years, that's gotta leave a mark, right? I think breaking his control over her had to be one of the most difficult (and liberating) moments of her life.

[img:9bf5e2dc5c]http://thekittenboard.com/board/images/smilies/kitty.gif[/img:9bf5e2dc5c]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:35 pm 
I first saw this thread and asked myself who the biggest influence has been for me. And I drew a blank. Yeah, everyone and every event in my life has influenced me in a way and definitely has made me who I am today, but as for a person or different people who have had a large influence on me, strangely, I can't really think of anyone. Is that a strange thing? Does anyone else feel that way?

I mean, I can name little ways people have influenced me, but I feel like ultimately I've made myself who I am today and I'm proud of the person I've developed into mainly because of my little life motto which is to be happy and show compassion towards others. Maybe in a way, I have been my biggest influence, in both good and bad ways. By looking back at things I've done and not done and by looking into myself to question what I believe and the things that make me happy, I've been able to, in effect, make myself into the type of person I feel I need to be. Yeah, I still have my issues and everything, but by working through things myself, I influence my own decisions and actions.

Hmmfff, who knows.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:58 pm 
I gotta agree with La, everyone who pass in our lives have an influence and make us the way we are. Sometimes we dont realise how much people can influence us until they theyre gone.

Of course my parents influenced me a lot, they taught me most of all the things i know. Same if sometimes i would prefer that they made some things differently, i like the way they gave me values and respect of others.

My brother is also a big influence because we are really close and i think we'll always be there for each others.

Some teachers touched me a lot, a literature teacher I had made me realised how beautiful writing can be. And another teacher in human resources management made me believe in myself and made me realise i was able to accomplish some great things.

Some specifics friends made me proud of myself and make me happy when i realise that i help them feel good and have fun with them.

And finally, everyone around here, with your comments, jokes, fictions, opinions, you all influence the way I see life.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:20 pm 
as for my biggest influence, it would be my grandfather. my dad said that i got so much from him... resiliency and patience. i also got some stuff from my dad and mom, even though they are separated, i think i got the "don't mess with me or else" attitude from both.

as for my lesbianism... hmmm... it would be michelle william's character on "if these walls could talk 2" i guess.

anyway, there are alo a bunch of other people like my professors in art. and my friends. i guess it's true that each and every person affects us in ways we cannot really fathom, but they help us find out and accept who we really are. :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:08 pm 
just thought I'd share this...

1970's recipes

it's the funniest thing I've seen this week...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:00 pm 
my influences? queerwise my bois josh and ben, both of whom were adorable flamers and super people, only one of whom, unfortunately, is still with us.

lifewise, my girl. :love she is my clearinghouse on everything and we are so much each others' lives.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:06 am 
Hmm, first I have to say that I kinda love that thread :) It's cool ;)

I think...that'll sound cheesy now... but I think my teachers have influenced and still influence me lots. My German teacher taught me to love poetry, a huge thing in my life right now, my English teacher taught me English lol, also a huge thing in my life ;)

And my mum of course... She'll never read this here but I love her for who she is :love She gives me love and supports me no matter what kind of crappy stuff I do :) That's love :) And a lot of influence :sigh

I also love love love my bro, he influenced me hugely with who he is... He's cool and although we quarrel a lot, he showed me what bro and sis are :)

And I also have to say that the Kitten really influenced me (Yeah, I mean all of you :grin ) You showed me that it's cool who I am and that respect and support are very important. I know I can count on you and that makes all of you to a important thing in my life, no matter if I know you or not, you're all part of the kitten and that's why I love you all :)

And my first love influenced me much... But that's another thing ;)

All in all I can say the we all are influenced by the people we meet and we influence them in the same way..so I could go on with the influencing for hours but I don't ;)

:peace -Viv-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:22 am 
I'd have to say my parents. Both of them have amazing work ethics. My father gave me a great sense of responsibility and resourcefulness. My mother has great kindness and sympathy something I still continue to work at.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 3:31 pm 
The past few years, my cousin Jimmy has been my biggest influence. My family calls him "Bud". He was born with a double cleft. His nose and upper lip were attached and had no roof of his mouth. By the age of 2 he had 6 surgeries to correct it. 8 years ago, he was crushed by 6 tons of granite and lived to tell about it. He broke his arm in three places, completely crushed his pelvis, broke 3 vertebrae in his back and various other internal injuries. He was in the hospital for 2 months and a rehab hospital to learn how to walk again for another 3 months. 6 months after the accident, he married his fiancee on schedule on the day they had planned. The doctors also told him because of the accident, it would be next to impossible for him and his wife to have children. On December 7, 2002, his wife of 7 years gave birth to a beautiful baby girl.
Jimmy has always played the cards that were dealt to him and never complained once. He lives life to the fullest and loves every minute of it. I love him with all my heart and when I need a quick cheering up, he's always there. I love you Bud and always will. You are my Hero!!!

Love to All,
Barb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:53 am 
Wow, what an amazing story that is! Talk about triumph over tragedy! You should send that story to Guideposts,( it's this little magazine my mom reads. ) They have lots of inspiring stories like this.

Gwen [img:a1a2c33da1]http://www.ezboard.com/intl/aenglish/images/emoticons/smile.gif[/img:a1a2c33da1]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:35 pm 
Well, I'm kinda young in life but I think my elder sister has had the biggest influence on me. She started everything off in my life, from clothes, the way I speak, the type of friends I have, the kind of films I watch, the kind of music I listen too and also introduced me to a little-known programme about vampires which eventually brought me to this wonderful place. This probably sounds like I'm a total sheep when it comes to life, but you've got to remember that my sister is pretty damn cool. I will always look up to her.

Plus, she met Bruce Campbell.

What a bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:07 am 
It had to be my mum and dad.

My dad cos he showed me that no matter how poor you were or where you came from, you can be whatever you want to be in life, thanks dad (although some of your brains would have been nice, lol)

My mum cos shes been through so much in her life and has remained strong and smilling throughout.

My friend hannah - we met in a pshyciatric hospital and shes amazing :) shes taught me never give up even when you are right on the edge.

And finally my frined helen, she has an extreamly rare illness thats slowly killing her, yet shes always there when i need her to make me laugh, i wish i could give her back as much as she has given me.

Also everyone here has influenced me, and made me realise (as well as amber) that you have to be who you are :dance
So thanks to everyone :clap

Caz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:23 pm 
Besides the obvious of mother, father, sister, uncle, in my life, it has been people who have formed the basis of my comedic influences and taught me to look at life from the perspective that it's absurd and just plain nuts.
John Cleese-the man's a comedic god.
Douglas Adams-may he rest in peace. He was my literary hero and my writing style as well as my worldview has been greatly shaped by his books.
Chuck Jones-may he rest in peace. He gave us Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner. A metaphor for the human condition if there ever was one.
Gordon Lightfoot-clear, simple, elegant, transcendent melodies and wordplay.A poet for the ages.
The Marx Brothers-their timing and delivery are still unequalled.
Amber Benson-an obvious choice for this board but she radiates such warm friendly positive energy that one wants to be a better person.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:17 pm 
The subject of this thread opens up many paths for me to go down. You see, my life, particularly recently, has been filled with people, whom I am convinced, are the best there are. People who emanate love and peace and hope. People that don't just speak to be speaking, but listen and hear. People that truly give a damn. People that can and do really make a difference.

Five people in particular have and continue to help me shape and form my life into something that I am proud to say I live. Their constant support and love has helped me through so much and I am eternally grateful. To know I have someone to turn to, no matter what. To have nothing to fear because I am never going to be alone. To have the hugs. The comforting words. The loving smiles.

Being part of this circle is a huge blessing.

Thank you so much for everything guys, for every minute of every day! I love you all very much!

>*HUGS*<

Rachy

oh yes, and god bless seedcake!

Post subject: It's &quot;Who was your Biggest Influence&quot; Wed
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:52 pm 
Most definitely my mother:

The way I can laugh with her.
The way I can cry with her.
The way I can talk with her.

The way she silently supports me in everything I decide on doing.
The way she stops being silent when I need her to.

The way she lets me take the wrong turn as long as she knows there'll be a way back on track.
The way I know she won't hesitate to push me back if it ever becomes necessary to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:45 pm 
My parents are tops on this list. Pa was "the quiet man" personified - a calm strength and practical wisdom. The #1 lesson I learned from him - "You never, ever, hit a woman. There are simply...no...excuses". Ma has the gift of speech. Dramatic, pointed, acerbic and at full-volume. It took me twenty years to lose my shyness and embrace the snark <g>.

Celebrities - Bono, for his selfless work around the world. Amber Benson, for her brave stance against the cliche. Those who have publicly left the closet and become role models for all questioning youth.

Other - WB cartoons, Laurel and Hardy, Little Rascals, Rocky Horror Picture Show and Monty Python (there are no "sacred cows").

Finally, individuals who are not afraid to be themselves no matter the cost.
Heroes, in my book.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:08 am 
My influences - well , there have been a few people. My dad, firstly. He was a projectionist and let me sit in the projection room at the cinema, and i'd watch the magic on the screen - he told me that i could be the magician who makes that stuff, and to do what i wanted to do, as well, there is nothing stopping me! So i did what i did!

I try to be like my mom in ways, well, she is a very strong person who wont take no crap from no-one. Even when she is scared, she doesn't show it!

Can i influence myself? i'd like to think that i am a person who i can like, and kinda look up to - in an out-of-body experience kind of way!