The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why does fanfic rock?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:55 am 
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I decided after reading pages and pages of(well-deserved of course) praise of fics on the board to find out what appeals to the kittens. So, here is my survey. Tell me why you love fanfic. Thanx

Ruth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 9:59 am 
It assures me that im not the only one out there that wants and fantacizes that there is more to Willow and Tara than just what we see on TV.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:26 am 
Oh, I could go on and on for a good LONG while on why fanfic rocks ... but I'll keep this as short as possible.

First - it's for fans by fans. Fanfiction doesn't have to worry about appealing to the faceless masses who maybe tune in once or twice a month, or watch every week but never think about the show in the interrim. Fanfiction authors don't have to worry about the whole "will the average viewer GET this?" thing ... because their audience isn't the average viewer.

Second - fanfiction isn't limited by a 44-minute time frame. FF authors don't have to worry about telling their story in the time alotted - they just have to worry about telling their story. Less stress, more opportunities to do every little thing that pops into their head, and no freaking commercials.

Third - fanfiction allows for the exploration of things the networks/time constraints/average viewer won't allow for. W/T is a perfect example of this. With the canonical fanfic pieces (which is what I consider things like 'The Beginnings Cycle' that work within the realm of the canon of the show), we get to explore the development of relationships and sometimes even plot points that don't get enough time and attention on the screen.

Fourth - Fanfiction allows the viewers to work interactively with the show. As much as a TV show is something you sit down and watch - passive entertainment - fanfiction changes the nature of the medium by letting the hardcore fans feel as though they have some measure of control over what stories they're getting ... by either writing their own, or picking and choosing which fanfic stories they want to read.

Fifth - Fixing It. Lots of people don't like non-canonical fanfiction, but to my mind, that's the whole point. Nobody can please all the people all the time, so ME certainly can't either. As faithful fans, we're going to see things we don't like - and our choices at that point involve dumping the fandom, or "fixing it" through reading or writing non-canonical fiction. This allows us to keep the good, chuck the bad, and be happier people for it.

Anyway, that's my Reader's Digest Version take on Fanfiction. Do with it what you will *G*

-Sassette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:29 am 
Thanx. *Pouts* But I don't think one persons opinion counts as a survey. It's more a conversation. Come on people!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:32 am 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sassette:
no freaking commercials.

Yess!!!! You go girl! I was waiting for someone to mention that. BTW, where can i find the begginings cycle, i havent read it and it sounds good.

[This message has been edited by NewRuthRising (edited March 26, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:37 am 
I too could write an essay on why fan fic is amazing, but I'll keep it simple.
For me it all really boils down to opportunities and possibilies:

-To explore things that time, location, money, network, etc. restraints won't allow.

-If ever a person is let down or feels like something was left out or wasn't done how they expected or would do it, they can change it.

-Its basically the opportunity to take a world you love and really imense yourself in it. Why should our love of a show or its character's be limited to 45 minutes a week? Some fans can become obessesive about thier shows, (though no one on this board) and this helps channel this obessive energy.

-For me, it follows my thoughts on why writing, words and literature is so great. You can go anyway, do anything, it is endless possibilities limited only by the imagination.

edited to add: commercials bad.
------------------
Hey, and later we can churn our own butter and make sweaters out of sheep.

[This message has been edited by Thanatopsis (edited March 26, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:54 am 
I totally agree with Sassette and Thanatopsis...and thought I'd add a little something to the mix...

Okay...colour me weird here...

But I have friends who thought that fic is for severely obsessed....and slightly crazy fan...

I am not a die-hard fan (I know...I know...blasphemy) But I am a fan. I haven't even seen all of the episodes yet... But I do so enjoy a good show...and the opportunity to enjoy so many great fics here on this board. I have made it my mission to convince my friends otherwise with this little supposition....

Do you remember when you were young...how much fun you could have with just your imagination? A carpet becomes molten lava...and the furniture little islands for you to climb on? A rock become the most valuable gem... your toys...were REAL.... and a circle of playmates lent HOURS of imaginative fun...

Well... then you grow up...and if you followed the same rules as you did then...you are quickly deemed CRAZY...LOOPY...and not in touch with reality...

I like to think of writing and reading fic as a 'socially acceptable' way of being "all grown up" and still getting to play with the other kids....watching them create amazing and intricate worlds of wonder for me...and trying to do the same thing for them...

This is merely my humble opinon and feeling towards one aspect of Fan fic...and should not be taken too seriously...or you kind of miss my point...

(visualizes a few surly playmates getting up and throwing down their Willow and Tara dolls at me to stomp off insolently)

*sigh*

n

------------------
"You're *NOT* the source of me." - Buffy

" I mock you with my monkey pants!" -Oz

" Tremble!" Gachnar (Fear Itself)

[This message has been edited by wiccachica (edited March 26, 2002).]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 10:55 am 
to give you growth of a relationship that might only get 5 minutes in a 44 minute show... why wait for that 45-60 seconds when you can have a full blown out story dedicated to your favorite characters...

i also enjoyed Rane's the Velvet Web series because it fills in all the blanks about what happened between episodes it starts with Hush and went to the end of S4... you know all that romantic stuff we never got to see..

------------------
From Out Aug01::: Joss on the Amber/Aly 'Kiss'
"Can we have one that's less like you're going to sleep together in about five minutes"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:16 am 
quote:
Originally posted by NewRuthRising:
BTW, where can i find the begginings cycle, i havent read it and it sounds good.
[/B]

It can be located by using the search facility... Search by thread title (partial matches) The Beginnings Cycle or if you want to skip back by date list all threads. The last post was made in October I believe so it is a fair way down the board. (one day I am going to figiure out posting links!)

It does go on a bit and perhaps the first half and the last quarter were definitely better than what fell in between... IMHO but hey I'm allowed to say that - just nobody agree with me!

As for the whole fanfic thing... As a reader I can't put it any better than what Sassette said... as I have said before that is one deft touch with the words she had there.

As a writer there is also the whole "lets pretend" thrill. I tend to write large multi-part fics. That is just where my interests and style lie as I am naff at writing one or 2/3 shots. Whilst I might write for myself, what interests me, I find that were it not for feedback or the prospect of feedback that I would not manage to finish. So yeah, there is also an element of "showing off" what you can pretend. As such, wanting feedback, I feel that I owe that as much to the writers of other fics that I like.

Okay that is rambling... basically what Sassette said.

Katharyn

------------------
You hear that baby?
quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:17 am 
Smut Smut Smut!!!

No realy. FanFic rocks for many reasons. Here at the Kitty we have been blessed with some great authors. I came to the Kitty because of FanFic.

For me, I like to see characters taken beyond the constraints of the show. A good example is "Coming Up Roses". An older Willow and Tara out on their own, but trouble finds them.

I like to see others insight to the characters. This is hit and miss. For example I LOVE Sassette's portrayal of Anya. Didn't care for her Spike. But that is fine. I love Lisa's interpretations of Tara, Willow and Anya. I don't think she gives Buffy enough to do, though.
But one great portrayal more than makes up for other characters getting slighted. And in the end, it's really about Willow and Tara anyway.

"What if" and "what happened" stories are great. I think I have read a couple dozen accounts of Willow and Tara's first kiss. So far my favorite is Sassettes in Answering Darkness. Other speculations are also fun. Bob (BBOvenGuy) story, The Sisters of Paradox, is a great tale dealling with the Original Willow (Riff Regan).

I also like crossovers, Bob's is a good Dr. Who crossover and Natalie Moss' "Nightmare of a Thousand Forms" is a great Cthulhu mythos crossover.

What I would love is to see more FanFic recomendations. What have all of you loved reading?

All the fics I mentioned can either be found on my website or are linked from my website.

Oh yeah. And the Smut.

Warlock.

------------------
Web Warlock
web.warlock@attbi.com webwarlock@planetadnd.com
Author, the Netbooks of Witches and Warlocks
The Other Side: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/
My Willow&Tara Pages: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/willtara.php
Shadow Earth Games: http://www.rpghost.com/WebWarlock/
--
I'm ahead of my time. But only by a week.
- Too Much Joy, "I Don't Know"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:38 am 
Fan fiction to me is a way to enjoy my fav charactors in a way that will never be shown on TV.

There is more time to show what T/W are feeling and to show more of their souls and charactors. Tv is limited to time and sensorship.

Fan fiction is emotional, silly, serious, funny, thoughtful, loving, lustfull, passionate, and a way to let flight the amagination and tell stories that continue on long after the TV show finishes.

When we read a story no two people will picture the same themes, each person reads a story and to each a picture is formed each person takes and makes their Fav Charators live in there minds.

I love that I can picture my own landscape and enjoy the stories just as much, as if I were watching Tv.

Daydreams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 11:57 am 
Katharyn ... deft touch? Nah ... my writing is really more of an enthusiastic groping that hits its mark once in awhile *G*

And I'd like to take this time to sheepishly admit that I neglected to mention smut on purpose. I generally skim over sex scenes, and I have to really psyche myself up to write one myself (as well as have three or four people read it before I post, because there's no way in hell I'm re-reading the damn things).

Still - it's a really good point. There are the obvious reasons why smut is so popular on the internet that I won't get into. However, there's also a sense of 'projecting' that allows the author (and the reader if the author is doing a good job) to kind of explore their own sexuality in a safe environment. This mostly holds true for younger readers/writers who suspect they may be gay.

Though this is true in a broader sense for lots of writing. Personally, I write to explore my own thoughts about something that's been on my mind. Buffy's a great show to do this with because of their history of presenting every-day issues symbolically through demons and apocalypses (what the heck IS the plural of 'apocalypse' anyway?).

I'm kind of rambling now *sheepish look* And I may have even gotten a little off-topic.

-Sass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 3:10 pm 
Wow. Thanx guys! I expected maybe on or two replies, its been all of 5 hours since i put the topic up, and i have great kitten idols like sassette replying. *Mouth hangs open in awe* Thanx again

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:04 pm 
Smut - Check

Better character exploration that transcends the television medium and allows writers an readers to take control and have more of an invested interest in the characters - Check

Allowing fanfic writers to project or use their own personal experiences in a story through the characters and likewise via feedback, readers can also participate in the story - Check

There are so many great reasons why fanfic rocks and it has been articulated by some of the best writers on the board (i.e. Sassette, Kathryn, Wiccachica etc)

But I would like to add that it also rocks because of the writer. A great fanfic writer creates a world so real and characters so true to form that it sucks you in. It makes you write fake updates and take on the mantle of minion in order to get more. It challenges you to think and lastly, it sometimes can inspire you to write you own. That is why fanfic rocks.

PS. I started reading fanfiction a couple of months back, starting with Lisa's story and then went on to some others. Because of it, I actually wrote an ode to the writer on this board. I put it up here now cause these stories are great!

Glory, glory hail & Glory,
Lisarificus is still writing her story.
She was to stop at 21
but we're at 34 and she's not yet done.
Your humble mittens await your next chapter
and we really do hope that nothing's the matter.
This amazing story is epic and engrossing and if you start reading
Trust me when I say this to you
You will be very familiar with a certain haiku!

Wiccachica has given us the late shift .
A story filled with twinkies,tattoos and a temporal drift.
Its laugh out loud funny and borderline camp.
Its just the recent cliffhangers have left me verklempt!

Reunited is Canadiankitten's.
Its so good she deserves her own 'mittens'.
There's Willow in peril and Tara to the rescue.
What more do you need, go read it - I tell you

Sassette has written Anwsering Darkness.
Its filled with angst and relationship goodness.
Please Sassette don't leave us hanging
we need more smochies and NC-17 rating.

Mariacomet's Legends of the Kiss is almost finished .
A tale of sacrifce, acceptance and awaiting a kiss.
This story unfolds with pleasure and grace.
It's ending should put a smile on your face!

Series Six belongs to the wonderful Pezzky.
Each episode's so good, it should be on TV.
But please pezzky for my poor heart's sake,
don't give Willow & Tara such a long break.

Please fanfic writers its now up to you. Oh please, oh please you know what to do. This is now all that I have written so update your stories for all your poor mittens.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:33 pm 
I feel the need to get whimsical here...bare with me.

Every Fanfic takes you someplace different. I could never possibly think of every scenario myself, no one possibly could.

Every author has their own take on things. It's all about the point of view. I prefer to write dialogue, but I love reading pieces about what's going on in the characters' minds.

Everyone has their own styles and focus. The whole process is an appreciation of diversity.

Considering the members of our community, it's only right that we would celebrate it more than most, for we truly know the value of it.

Thus - FanFic ROCKS!

------------------
Love will find a way.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:21 am 
I love writing fanfic because I get to have what I want happen to the characters from Buffy for a change. It helps me resolve issues and explore new plot lines. And it's easy because I feel like I know the characters so well. I like reading other people's fanfic, because it helps dull the pain between new episodes, and much of it is super funny or incredibly touching.
Merciful Zeus!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:51 am 
Why does Fanfic rock?
Wow...
Let's begin with the basics...
1) It's a creative outlet. Sure, here on the board there are music videos (ALWAYS cool...I'm a collector), Wallpaper skins, winamp skins, screensavers and all sorts of things...but fanfic lets the writer create something, in my mind anyway, a little more tangible. The other forms of expression are all what I term as praise. They capture and display the images or sounds of the show. In new and often AWSOME ways.
Fanfic takes it one step further...the writer gets to take the characters and put them into various situations and settings. They get to create something of thier own...and they get to share thier love of the show and the characters with the world.

2)It lets different stories to be told about a great show and, in this boards case, an even greater couple. Sorry...but 22 shows in 6 months a year is NOT enough. Then break that down to maybe 1/4-1/10 screen time with your fav characters, and it's just not enough. This is another great way to explore a very wonderful show and couple.

Well...
this was longer than I intended it to be...but I hope I got the point across.
There is just SO much to say....I really hope people will answer this....so I donm't sound like a totally obsessive person.

Willowfan

------------------
Tara:You found me...
Willow: I'll always find you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:50 am 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Katharyn:
[B] It can be located by using the search facility

Wheres that? Icouldnt find it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:52 am 
I'm an infrequent / new visitor to this end of the board and I have to admit that the only W/T fic I've read so far has been Ruth's [the other one], basically [I'm very basic] for the smut, she writes it so well .
However I have to say that Ruth also gets the idiosyncracies of both Willow and Tara down pat, and she's not afraid to bring in the sad and the bad which occurs within any relationship into the mix.

Reading it off the screen really p*****s me off, it does nothing for my eyesight. Also searching through threads to get all the parts does my head in. So I tend not to go after all the fic thats on the board.

Note to Mods, is there somewhere we could collect each fic into its own volume, so that they can each be d/l'd as one file?...The Kitten Library , if you like.

------------------
love and kisses

Still Waters Run Deep

" Hi!..um..aw...shit...he he he....'Scuz me..er.. I did'nt mean to..er....expose myself to.. ,ya know..public...*groan* "

Amber...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:15 pm 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Katharyn:
[B] It can be located by using the search facility

Wheres that? Icouldnt find it.

On the thread page, under the "Post New Topic" icon at the top, on the right of that line.

K

------------------
You hear that baby?
quote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:42 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Still Waters Run Deep:
Note to Mods, is there somewhere we could collect each fic into its own volume, so that they can each be d/l'd as one file?...The Kitten Library , if you like.

Well I am not a mod. But I have had a similar thought. There are such good stories here. Sure Wiccan Ways and Extra Flamey are great, but I would like to read fics that were featured here.

I'd be willing to pony up the webspace for them. They would have to run my banner ad on them, but that is not really a problem. I pay for my own bandwidth, but I have space and I have no one to answer to but me.

The problem is getting all the fics gathered up and getting the permission from the various authors.

Authors, is this something that would interest you? I'd love it myself!

Edited to add: Redundant? No, I thought only complete fics could go into the archive, new and unfinshed works would stay here.

Warlock.

------------------
Web Warlock
web.warlock@attbi.com webwarlock@planetadnd.com
Author, the Netbooks of Witches and Warlocks
The Other Side: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/
My Willow&Tara Pages: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/willtara.php
Shadow Earth Games: http://www.rpghost.com/WebWarlock/
--
I'm ahead of my time. But only by a week.
- Too Much Joy, "I Don't Know"

[This message has been edited by Web Warlock (edited March 27, 2002).]quote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 1:03 pm 
I generally keep my own fic on my own website. People are more than welcome to go there and read it if they so wish. I think a lot of writers tend to do that if they have a larger catalog of fic.

Anyway, wouldn't doing that make the pens board redundant?

------------------
You know I've been through hell...Joss can't you see, there'll be nothing left of me. You made me believe...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:19 pm 
Why does fanfic rule? Hmmmn, everyone seems to have hit a lot of the high, or low, points already.
As a reader one of the big appeals is the sheer diversity available. If something is too smutty, too out of character, too dark, too funny, too whatever you can always stop reading and go to another story. It gives you a bit more control than with the show, where if stuff isn’t going the way you want or think it should you have no choice but to watch or not. With all the material available anyone can find something they like.
I also like the idea of crossovers which would definitely never be made on TV. For example Rane did an interesting X-Files cross. Though I would think as a writer that crossovers would be much harder since you have more characters to try and depict accurately.
I guess the biggest thing I have noticed about fanfic is love. The authors obviously love both the characters and the show quite a bit. The amount of detail, attention to detail, and sheer time spent on some stories denotes a great caring about what they are doing. I have read some of the professional Buffy or Star Trek books where it seems like the author doesn’t care about the characters, doesn’t have a clue about the universe or how the characters should act and you wonder why they are even bothering and how they managed to get the job in the first place. Most of the time that isn’t the case with fanfic. Even with alternate world storylines the better authors still try and keep the characters true to the themselves. All the effort certainly makes the stories more worthwhile to read.
As a writer I like to take things I think could have happened in the show or that should have been considered but weren’t. Often because the writers just didn’t have the time, but sometimes because it is outside their knowledge or expertise.
Also as a writer I like that there is a built in audience with a sense of community that is automatically interested in what you write. They might not always like your material or agree with what you did, but they will give you comments and support. The ability to exchange ideas and views in fanfic is much greater than just writing with another group of people who all have diverse interests. Some of that may just be a function of the board, but I think it is also inherent in fanfic.
On the other hand, you could also do a thread on the things that drive you crazy about fanfic!
Garner

And a thread that maybe listed titles and a one or two sentence comment or review wouldn't be bad. Especially covering older stuff that is now hard to access.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:08 am 
Also it gives me a "good reason" to not do my work.

------------------
~Mel

Random Ass Webpage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:54 am 
Why does fanfic rule? have you seen the naked Willow/Tara sex thread? Or read Tommo's, Lisa's, Sass's, MC's, pezzky's or Jomarch's recent stories?

Oh and as for making a library of fic, almost all fanfic posted here is archived on Extra Flamey or Wiccan ways. Have you seen the size of the sites? The Pens would have to be huge to take up all Willow/Tara fic.

------------------
Beep, beep

[This message has been edited by Puff (edited March 28, 2002).]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:01 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by tommo:
I generally keep my own fic on my own website. People are more than welcome to go there and read it if they so wish.

Oooh! I had'nt thought of that. So....err, Ruth, have you a link to said website? please?

I don't think it would make the board redundant, it's for archived stuff..The Kitten Library...but I take Puffs point that it cant be hosted on the Kitten Board itself.

cheers ears

------------------
love and kisses

Still Waters Run Deep

" Hi!..um..aw...shit...he he he....'Scuz me..er.. I did'nt mean to..er....expose myself to.. ,ya know..public...*groan* "

Amber...quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:01 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by tommo:
I generally keep my own fic on my own website. People are more than welcome to go there and read it if they so wish. I think a lot of writers tend to do that if they have a larger catalog of fic.

Anyway, wouldn't doing that make the pens board redundant?

I agree with Ruth on this...

I don't have my own site but it is the Pens Board that got me started writing W/T fiction and essentially I write for Pens and the Kittens that hang out here. It is the interaction and feedback that comes from posting in this fashion on this site that I treasure most. And why I see no point in archiving elsewhere as I am not interested in more readers - just these readers - many of whom move from site to site anyway. All the old fic is available on Pens just by searching. The replies that writers and readers have there, along with the fic itself, is often illuminating and interesting in it's own right - more so than a clean version.

If the day ever came that the mods had to trim the old material then maybe I would reconsider but I like Pens working just the way it is and wouldn't want to spoil that sense of community by diluting Pens.

Just a humble opinion of course...

Katharyn

------------------
You hear that baby?
quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:02 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Katharyn:
On the thread page, under the "Post New Topic" icon at the top, on the right of that line.

K

Thanx got it. Very good fic!quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:07 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Puff:
Why does fanfic rule? have you seen the naked Willow/Tara sex thread? Or read Tommo's, Lisa's, Sass's, MC's, pezzky's or Jomarch's recent stories?

yes I have and it is all wonderful but i like to have faith that some people appreciate the more, er,platonic shall we say side to it. dialogue and such. I may be cynical but i am too young and innocent to believe that smut is all everybody is looking for. *Snort* Yeah right. Had you going there didn't i? No? Oh well.quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:12 pm 
quote:
but i like to have faith that some people appreciate the more, er,platonic shall we say side to it. dialogue and such.

Of course if Joss gave us 10 minutes of naked W/T sex every week then there would be no need to write smut!

Katharyn

------------------
You hear that baby?
quote: