The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Fic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:18 am 
I finished this a while ago, but i wasn't sure whether i should post it or not because it's not very good.
Anyway, i've decided to post it. I hope you guys like it.
---------------------------------------------
Rating: PG
Spoilers: Nope. Don't think so.
Pairing: W/T
Summary: Set in season 4. Kinda in my own Buffyverse; Around Who Are you. Willow and Tara aren't together yet, but as Christmas gets nearer they find themselves growing even closer.
Feedback: Only if you want to gve it me. Bad or good, i'd like to know.

A Willow and Tara kinda Christmas

It was Christmas Eve, and the streets of Sunnydale were filled with carol singers. Every window that Willow passed had lights in them. She walked past the park where the Christmas trees were being sold, and her face lit up when she saw Tara. She quietly walked up behind the blonde and covered Tara's eyes with her hands.

Willow: Guess who.

Tara grinned, and instantly knew who it was.

Tara: Willow!!

The girl turned around and gave Willow a hug.

Willow: You looking to buy a tree?
Tara: Yeah, b-but I only want a small one, to fit in my dorm room.
Willow: Want me to help you look?
Tara: Sure. B-but if you have something else to do....
Willow: Nope. I'm a free woman.

Both girls smiled and they went in search of the perfect tree.

Willow: Oooh, what about that one!!

Willow ran towards the tree that she was pointing too.

Willow: It's small.
Tara: And has h-hardly any branches.

Tara grinned at Willow, who pouted and walked away from the tree.

Willow: I just feel really sorry for the small, helpless ones, you know?

Tara giggled and nodded.

Tara: I know. I j-just want a pretty tree.
Willow: You don't usually have a pretty tree?

Tara shook her head.

Tara: I don't usually have a tree. M-my dad.... he um, never really l-liked Christmas.
Willow: What?! I don't think I know anyone who doesn't like Christmas.
Tara: Yeah, well....

Sadness flashed over Tara's face as she spoke of her father, and Willow noticed. She stopped walking and turned to Tara. Taking the other girls hands in her own.

Willow: Hey. You okay?

Tara glanced down at their hands.

Tara: Yeah.

She looked up and flashed a small smile at Willow.

Tara: Lets go find a tree.

Tara's dorm room: later that night.

Willow and Tara crashed though Tara's door, grinning, laughing and carrying the tree they had finally decided on buying.

Willow: Well how was I supposed to know it was going to rain?

Both girls were soaked to the skin.

Tara: At least w-we got the tree back.
Willow: Yeah.

Willow grinned proudly, and let her end of the tree down.

Tara: It's a little bigger than I w-wanted....

Tara watched Willow's smile fade.

Tara: B-but it's perfect.

Willow smiled appeared again, and she looked around the room.

Willow: So, where should we put it?
Tara: What?
Willow: The tree, silly.
Tara: Oh. Um, you don't want to go yet?
Willow: No. I mean I'd like to stay and help.... if you don't mind.

Willow turn on full puppy eyes and pouting mode, and Tara couldn't help but grin.

Tara: I'd like that to.

They finally decided on a place and put the tree in the corner of the dorm. Then Willow turned to Tara.

Willow: Do you have any decorations?
Tara: … No.
Willow: Well, I guess we're just going to have to go back out and buy some then.
Tara: Willow.... d-did you see the weather outside?
Willow: Don't worry. I'll just call Xander. Get him to take up to the store.

Inside store.

They finally found a store that was open. With it being Christmas eve, half of the stores in Sunnydale were closed.
Willow and Tara browsed the shelves, looking for just the right decorations.

Willow: You want a star on the top? Or an angel?
Tara: Um... y-you choose.
Willow: Tara, it's your tree.
Tara: P-please?

Willow looked at the smile that played across Tara's face and couldn't help but smile herself.

Willow: Okay. Oooh, Tara! What about this?

Willow picked up the white glass star that had caught her eye. It was beautiful.

Tara: I-if you like that one-
Willow: But, do you like it?
Tara: Yes.
Willow: Then this is the one for our tree. Um, your tree I mean.
Tara: I-it can be our tree if y-you want.

Willow smiled at Tara. Since she and Tara had met that night when the Gentlemen had arrived in Sunnydale, she had been a lot happier. Hell, this was the happiest Willow had been in a long time. Although she was reluctant to tell anyone her reasons for being suddenly happy, she knew what they were. She knew that she liked Tara. More than like her. Of course, it had confused her at first. Made her think if this had happened before. Maybe with Buffy or even Cordelia, but no. She defiantly hadn't had these kinds of feelings before. Not even with Oz.

"Oz."

Just hearing his name, even it was in her head, made her sad. She had gone through so much pain when he left. He'd left her with nothing. A feeling of emptiness that filled her, and tormented her until she thought she couldn't take anymore. There were times when she thought that she had become a nobody. That only with Oz was she an actually person. Who was she without Oz? When Tara arrived and she and Willow began spending time together, she found that question had been answered. She was Willow Rosenberg. A person who had many friends, a mother and father, and everything she could ever wish for. There was just one thing missing. When Oz left.... it was like he took a piece of Willow with him. She felt empty without that piece. It was like there was a hole in the pit of her stomach that need to be filled. She knew what she needed to fill that hole.... love. She needed to let herself love again, or who knows? She might let the one person that would love her forever, slip through her fingers. And she knew she'd never forgive herself if she did.

Back at Tara's dorm: same night.

It had turned late when Willow and Tara had finally finished decorating Tara's tree.

Willow: Well, it took us best part of the night but I think it was worth it.
Tara: Oh yeah. I-it looks wonderful. Especially with the star th-that you picked out on top.
Willow: You like it?
Tara: Yeah.

Tara and Willow locked eyes for a moment.

Tara: I l-like you a lot.
Willow: What?
Tara: IT!! I l-like I-it a l-lot!!

Suddenly the floor became very interesting to Tara. She didn't dare look up. She knew that her eyes would give her away. The feelings she had for Willow went a whole lot deeper than friendship. Way deeper. And she knew her eyes would reveal her true feelings for the other witch. When she had seen Willow in the Wicca group, she had felt something. And when she and Willow and touched hands in the laundry room, she had felt that something again. She had known what she was feeling all along. She knew that she had fallen for the redhead. Who in their right mind wouldn't? She was beautiful and funny, very smart and not to mention caring. Tara sighed. How could Willow ever feel the same about her? She didn't think herself to be any of the things Willow was. With the exception of caring, that is. Tara had always been very caring. But she lacked other things. Or she thought she did. She didn't consider herself to be very pretty or funny. She didn't think she was all that smart either. But maybe Willow thought different. Maybe Willow thought she was pretty and funny and smart. But what were the chances of that? Tara was a girl, and as far as she knew Willow had never had a relationship with a girl before.

"But who's to say this isn't different?"

Tara didn't want to get her hopes up. She put her heart on the line before.... and it had ended badly. She was scared to do that again. If she did, there was a chance that her heart would be shot into pieces and be impossible to fix back together. Especially if Willow was the one who couldn't return the love Tara had for her.

Tara finally worked up the courage to look at Willow and was surprised to find the other witch smiling at her. Of course, as soon as Willow realised that Tara had looked up, she looked away.

Willow: Um, I better go. It's getting late.
Tara: Y-yeah. I g-guess…. you h-have to be at you p-parents?
Tara: C-Christmas eve. You probably have s-somewhere t-to be.
Willow: No. I’m just going to go back to the dorm and wallow in my thoughts. Plus, you know, Jewish.

Willow flashed a half smile.

Tara: Oh yeah. B-but, B-Buffy’s not going to b-be there? At your dorm?
Willow: No. She’s with Riley…. something about wanting to spend their first Christmas together…. together.
Tara: Oh.

Willow sighed and put her coat on.

Willow: I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?

Willow turned to leave, but was stopped by Tara’s voice.

Tara: W-wait.

Willow turned and faced Tara. A questioning expression clouded her face.

Tara: I uh…. Since y-you d-don’t have any p-plans for tonight…. Maybe you c-c-could…. Stay. H-Here.

Willow had to control the huge smile that was threatening to show itself.

Willow: I wouldn't want to be a bother....

The disappointment showed on Tara's face and Willow picked up on it instantly.

Willow: But if you're sure.... if you want me too.... I'd like to.... I mean....

Tara smiled. Willow in babble mode was so cute.

Tara: Is that a y-yes?

Willow nodded and smiled back.

Tara: Okay. I'll, um…. I’ll get you something to sleep in.

With a shy smile, Tara walked over to her wardrobe and Willow watched her.

“This won't be so hard. All I've got to do is spend the night. Lying next to her, in her bed, very close.... almost touching.... without kissing her.... yeah, won't be so hard.”

Willow shook her head and Tara came back carrying a pair of pyjamas.

Tara: Uh, th-this all I have spare.

Tara handed Willow the pale blue pyjamas. They had red teddy bears on them and Willow couldn't help but grin.

Tara walked into her floor’s bathroom, and looked around. Once she was sure there was no one in the room but her, she looked at herself in the mirror.

Tara: Do I really ex-expect myself to b-be able to control m-my feelings around her?

Tara washed and dried her face, before sitting on the chair that was stood in the corner of the room.

Tara: Why c-can’t I just tell her how I feel?

A voice in the back of her head, told her exactly why. ~Rejection~ it said. It screamed it at her. Tara pleaded with the voice to shut up, but it wouldn’t go away. ~You really think she could feel the same way about you? Look at you! Why would she want you?! You have nothing to offer her. Nothing. She’d reject you and not even take a second glance.~
Tara wiped away a tear that had managed to escape just as the door of the bathroom opened, and Willow walked in.

Willow: Tara, what’s wrong?
Tara: N-nothing.
Willow: You’ve been crying….
Tara: I-I just got s-something in m-my eye…. I’m fine.

Willow didn’t believe Tara. She could tell that the other girl had been crying. What she didn’t know was why. Tara got to her feet.

Willow: Tara….
Tara: I’m f-fine, Willow.

Tara’s tone of voice was filled with frustration. And although she didn’t realise it, her words and been harsh to the other witch’s ears.

Willow: O-okay.

They stood in silence for a moment, each of them wanting to know the other’s thoughts.

Tara: S-sorry. I-I just…. Have a lot o-on m-my mind.
Willow: It’s okay, Tara.

Willow smiled at Tara who returned the smile, shyly.

Tara’s dorm room: same night.

Willow returned from the bathroom wearing the pyjamas Tara had borrowed her, to find the blonde witch sitting on the chair in the room, brushing her hair. Willow remember a story that Tara had told, about how Tara’s mother used to brush her hair every night before she went to bed. And how her mother would have to do it twenty-five times. Willow stood in the doorway, watching Tara. Her eyes transfix on the other girl. She wondered what the other girl was thinking as she brushed her hair.

“Is there any chance she could be thinking about me?”

Willow doubted it. She didn’t think there was any chance that Tara could have even slightly romantic feelings towards her. Her eye’s still fixed on the beauty in front of her, Willow let out a sigh before she could stop it. Tara stopping brushing her hair mid-stroke, and turned her head to the doorway. Willow immediately pushed herself off the doorframe and walked towards the bed, to make it look as if she had only just returned. Tara looked back and forth between Willow, who had her back to her, and the door.

“Was she…. Watching me?” There it was again. The voice. ~Wishful thinking, Tara.~ Tara tried to ignore the voice, and went back to brushing her hair.

Willow: Left or right?

Tara turned, confused by her friend’s question.

Tara: W-what?
Willow: Side of the bed…. Left or right? It’s your bed. I thought I should ask.
Tara: Oh. Uh, r-right.

Willow nodded and began to take the cushions that were set out on the bed, off the bed. To say she was nervous about spending the night in a bed with the person she didn’t have the courage to tell she was in love with was an understatement. She was heading towards terrified. What if she slipped up and told Tara she loved her? How would Tara react?

“Probably kick me out.”

Willow sighed for the umpteenth time that night. She didn’t know what to do. Meanwhile, Tara was having similar thoughts.

“If I do tell her how I feel…. What would she do?” The voice started nagging again. ~She’d run. She’d run out of this room and you’d never see her again. You know she would. Too bad you can’t have her, Tara. And you love her so much. What a pity.~ The voice was sarcastic, and Tara almost began crying. The pain of loving someone so much, and knowing that they can’t love you back was unbearable. What was she doing inviting Willow to spend the night? Tara knew the answer to that question.

“Hoping.”

Willow got into Tara’s bed and lay down. Her thoughts, for some reason, turned to Buffy and Xander. In a way she envied them. She had to hide her feelings from the person she loved, she had to struggle with the ‘What if?’ questions, while they were content in the arms of the person they loved. Buffy could tell Riley that she loved him, and she didn’t have to fear his reaction. Xander could do the same with Anya. Sure, she was happy that they were happy, but there was still that part of her that wanted what they had. She wanted to be able to tell Tara she loved her and not fear her reaction, and to have Tara say she loved her back. But she knew that she could never have that satisfaction.
Willow rolled over so that she was facing Tara.

“Gods, she’s beautiful.” Another sigh escaped Willow’s lips, and Tara turned around quick enough to see Willow close her eyes and pretend she was sleeping. A smile formed on Tara’s lips, and she put her brush back on the desk and got up. Making her way over to her bed she asked herself the same question that she’d been asking herself for the last couple of weeks.

“Does she feel the same?” Once again, the voice screamed out at her. And every time it did, it sent bolt of white-hot pain through her heart. ~No!~

Tara slid under the covers next to Willow, and instantly felt herself being torn apart by two different feelings: calmness and fear. She always felt an overwhelming sensation of calmness flow through her body whenever she was close to Willow. It was as if the hacker had the ability to calm her in any situation. Whether Tara was upset, angry about something or confused. But this time, even being close to Willow couldn’t block out the feeling of confusion and fear. She was so scared that if she told Willow how she felt, that the other girl would be disgusted and never speak to her again. Tara couldn’t bare the thought of that happening, and the fear that it might happen, paralysed her. Her love for Willow was so powerful she would do anything for her. Tara wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of her life with the other witch, and the fact that she couldn’t was more painful than anything she ever imagined.
Willow mumbled a goodnight, bringing Tara out of her thoughts.

Tara: G-goodnight.

Minute after minute passed and both girls lay in silence. Neither one the least bit tired and both unknowingly wanting to tell the other the same thing.
Willow closed her eyes, hoping this would help her drift off to sleep and make the longing to hold Tara in her arms go away. It didn’t work. It got to the point where Willow couldn’t take it anymore, and she rolled onto her side so that if she opened her eyes, she could see Tara. She kept her eyes closed, and after a while she assumed Tara was asleep. She opened one eye and saw that Tara’s eyes were closed.

“She looks so peaceful when she’s asleep.” Willow noticed the wisps of hair that were covering Tara’s face and tried to fight the urge to tuck it behind the girl’s ear. But she failed, and reaching out, she lightly tucked the hair behind Tara’s ear hoping that the girl wouldn’t wake up. What Willow didn’t know, was that Tara was awake.

“She just tucked my hair behind my ear, it doesn’t mean anything.” Tara continued to lay there with her eyes closed. Doing her best to stay calm. She could here Willow breathing.
“I need to calm down. She probably didn’t mean anything by it, she-” Tara’s thoughts were cut short, when she felt an arm wrap around her waist.

Willow took the plunge and let her arm wrap around Tara’s middle. She still thought Tara was asleep. It was when Tara spoke, that Willow realised she was wrong.

Tara: W-Willow?

Willow froze. She didn’t know what to do.

Willow: Sorry.

She removed her arm and rolled over so she was facing the opposite side of the room.

Tara: W-why….
Tara: W-why did you d-do that?

Willow sighed. Was she ready to tell Tara how she felt?

Willow: I…. I wanted to….
Tara: But w-why?
Willow: I…. I….

There was a moment of silence before Tara spoke again.

Tara: W-Willow, look at me.

Willow hesitated and then rolled over to face Tara. She looked at the other girl before closing her eyes again. She still didn’t trust her eyes. She wasn’t ready for them to give her away. She wasn’t ready for Tara to hate her and never speak to her again, which she was sure would happen. She’d never be ready for that. She was all ready for Tara to hate her and kick her out of the room, but when she felt Tara move closer to her, and then felt the other girls lips on her own, she wasn’t ready for that at all. Tara pulled away before Willow could do anything, and got out of the bed.

Tara: I’m s-sorry, Willow. I-I sh-shouldn’t h-have…. I’m sorry.

Tara picked up her coat and ran towards the door.

Willow: No, Tara wait!

But it was too late. Tara had gone.

“Ran out of her own dorm room….”

Willow got out of the bed and ran after Tara. She had to find her, tell her how she felt. At least now there was a chance that Tara could feel the same.

Campus.

It was still raining, and Tara was soaked to the skin. She walked around the campus asking herself why she had kissed Willow like that. She knew the answer of course: Because she wanted too. The same reason Willow had put her arm around her. Tara stopped. Did Willow like her? In the same way that Tara liked her. ~Of course not!~ The voice screamed at her. ~Why would she-?~ the voice was stopped when Tara heard someone calling out her name.

Willow: Tara! Tara, where are you?!

Tara wondered if she should let Willow know that she was there, but Willow noticed her and began walking towards Tara.

Willow: Tara, listen-
Tara: No, W-Willow, I n-need to tell y-you something.
Willow: Well can we at least go inside…. You must be freezing.
Tara: I am, k-kinda cold.
Willow: Come on.

Tara’s dorm room

Tara dried her hair with a towel, while Willow sat on the bed. She knew she had to tell Willow how she felt, she just didn’t know how. Tara threw the towel into the corner of the room and walked over to her bed.

Tara: I um, a-about that th-thing I needed to t-tell you….

Willow just sat in silence. She wanted to hear this.

Tara: You r-remember the time i-in the laundry room? When w-we had t-to move the s-soda machine….

Willow nodded.

Tara: I f-felt something…. a c-connection.
Willow: Me too.
Tara: Willow…. What I’m t-trying to s-say is…. I’m in love with you. I h-have been since the f-first time I s-saw you…. And I j-just had to t–tell you.

Willow thought she’d forgotten how to breathe. Had her ears stopped working properly or had Tara really just told her that? Willow’s mind wasn’t really taking everything in. So Tara did feel the same. She looked at the person who had just poured her heart out to her and saw the love that was concealed in her eyes.

Willow: I…. Tara….
Tara: It’s o-okay, I know y-you don’t f-feel the same….
Willow: But I do!

Willow clapped her hand to her mouth. She’d done it.

Willow: I love you.

Willow gathered up all the courage she could, leaned forward and kissed Tara.
It was as if the rest of world was out of focus, and the only clear images were the two people that were sitting on the bed expressing their love for one another.
Tara let herself be pushed back onto the bed by Willow, their lips never parting. The kiss continued for a while longer, and when Willow broke the kiss, both girls were breathless.
Willow looked down at the one person she knew she’d spend her life with and smiled. She loved Tara more than words could say, and tucking a stray strand of hair behind Tara’s ear, she looked over to the clock that was on Tara’s bedside table. It read: 12:05am.
Looking back towards Tara, she smiled again.

Willow: Merry Christmas.
Tara: Merry Christmas, Willow.

Willow leaned down and kisses Tara again. It was then they both knew that this would be the first Christmas of many that they would spend together.
Without warning, the voice that plagued Tara made itself heard again. Except this time, it was different. It wasn’t accusing or sarcastic. It simply said:

~Okay…. So I could have been wrong.~

------------------
Okay, last question. What advice would you give to someone who gets their brains sucked out?

Um ... eat a lot of apple sauce, preferably fed to you by attractive young lesbians.

-Amber in Steppin' Out magazine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:37 pm 
Very nice, I enjoyed the story very much.

------------------
-R

"Everyone's getting spanked but me."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:00 pm 
Heehee.

Now Willow has a reason to celebrate Christmas! (Just like me, my anniversary is Dec 26 ... a nice Jewish girl like me finally gets to be festive too)!

Great story. Really.

------------------
"And how long have you known your girlfriend's Tinkerbell?"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:19 pm 
awww, ginner! where've you been, love?! this was adorable. i love those early realtionship fics and their insecurities and just having it be a jolly time in sunnydale was great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:52 pm 
Ginner, this is *so* sweet! I've really enjoyed it. Early fears and thoughts... *sigh*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:58 pm 
Really glad you guys liked it
I just hope you like the fic i'm working on now just as much

------------------
Okay, last question. What advice would you give to someone who gets their brains sucked out?

Um ... eat a lot of apple sauce, preferably fed to you by attractive young lesbians.

-Amber in Steppin' Out magazine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:35 pm 
Very nice, I like it. I don't know why you said it wan't good, it's a great story Can't wait to read what you have next.

tiger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:18 pm 
aww that was very sweet
Looking fordward to your next fic

------------------
Todo lo que necesitamos es sentido comun y eso no puede ser enseñado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:04 pm 
Ginner that was really sweet. I loved it. Nice to see you are still around

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:11 pm 
Cute, very cute indeed! Like it a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 2:14 pm 
Great fic Ginner, very cute and sweet, I loved it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:08 pm 
Love it......that was so sweet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:43 pm 
I am new to this board and to writing fan fiction and any and all advice is welcome.

Title: ?
Time: Around season three, but I've changed things.
Summary: An alternative way in which Willow and Tara could have met.

It was one of those Friday afternoons Willow loved. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and everything just felt right. She sat on a bench in front of the school waiting for Buffy and Xander to discuss their weekend plans.
"No Buffster yet?" Xander said plunking down on the bench next to Willow.
"Nope," Willow said.
"Maybe something's up? Some new big bad to fight."
"Maybe."
"You're real chatty today," Xander said.
"Hey guys," Buffy said,"Giles was being extra Gilesy."
"No problem Buff," Xander said,"So what's up for the weekend?"
"I have to patrol tonight, and my mom wants me to do some bonding with her. She thinks I'm spending too much time with Giles and Angel. No Cordy tonight?"
"She's going to L.A. for a shopping trip this weekend," Xander said,"You want to Bronze it with me tonight Will?"
"I have to go to the library. I have a huge paper. I'll be study-girl all weekend."
"As opposed to...," Xander said.
"I'm not that bad," Willow said.
"Face it Will, since Oz left for college and you two broke up all you do is study. You gotta get yourself back out there," Buffy said.
"I was never out there."
"But you weren't library on Friday night," Xander said.
"Well tonight I am," Willow grabbed her bag and stormed off. She didn't really know why she was mad. That had been happening a lot lately. Buffy and Xander just assumed she was upset that Oz had dumped her, but she had dumped him. They did't know that because she didn't want them too. The whole thing with Oz hadn't felt right from the beginning and him graduating and going to college was the perfect excuse to end it. So what if she spent every night in the library. She liked the library, lots of books, and no Buffy, or Xander, or Giles. She would have used the high school library if Giles ever left it, but the library at UC Sunnydale was great.
"Willow is that you?" Sheila Rosenberg asked.
"Yes, I'm home from school," Willow called back.
"Are you going to the library tonight or will you be here for dinner?"
"Library."
"Are you sure? We're having company, the Greens. You haven't seen Michael in ages, he's home for the weekend. You two were so cute together."
"Mom, I was seven," Willow said, "I have a huge paper, I can't stay."
"Fine, but he'll be disappointed. You two would make a great couple."
"Mom, let it go," Willow said walking to her room. She closed the door and flopped on her bed. She needed to get everything organized in her head so she would know what she needed to take with her. She certainly couldn't come back to get anything. She got up and paced around her room gathering things from here and there. Three felt a bit early to leave, but she didn't want to be at home. She was going to have to be at the library until at least ten to make sure that the company was long gone. "Seven hours, that's not so long," Willow thought.

The library was quiet as usual on a Friday night. A few students around, but mostly empty. She dropped her stuff on a table and gathered some books she would need for her paper, and a couple of books on Wicca. She had been more interested in it since Ms.Calendar's death and reading books at UC Sunnydale was the only chance she got. She knew her parents would not be understanding about it, and Giles would probably worry himself. She couldn't decide what to do first. The truth was the paper wasn't due for another two weeks; she just didn't want to hang out with her friends. She felt awful about that, but it was the truth. She didn't feel right inside and she couldn't explain it. Whenever she was with them she tried hard to be her usual cheery self, but often it ended as it had this afternoon with her storming off angry for no reason.
"Are you going to be long with that book?" Willow was broken from her thoughts by the sweetest voice she had ever heard.
"What?" she said.
" The book on the history of witchcraft, are you going to be long with it?" the voice came out stuttered, but it was still pretty. As was the girl it belonged to.
"I just got it, but you can look at it," Willow said.
"Are you in the Wicca group on campus?"
"No, I'm not a student here," Willow said extending her hand to the other girl, "I'm Willow."
"Tara," the girl said shaking Willow's hand, "Are you sure about the book. I mean if you just got it I can wait.
"No, I should be writing a paper anyway," Willow said, "The campus has a Wicca group." Sometimes it took some time for Willow's brain to register what was said.
"Yeah," Tara said.
"You must be a member. How long have you been practicing?"
"Since I was little," Tara said, "What about you?"
"Since a couple of weeks ago," Willow said smiling, "I'm just sort of finding out about stuff."
"Oh."
"Can you cast?"
"Spells. Some," Tara said. She wished she didn't sound like such and idiot when she talked. She wished she could control her stutter too.
"Really, I would love to learn. Right now I can levitate a pencil, but that's a little shaky."
"It's a start," Tara said.
"Do you want to sit down?" Willow asked motioning to the empty seat across the table from her.
"Sure," Tara had intended to check the book out and take it with her, she really didn't know why she was staying.
"Are you a student here?" Willow asked.
"Yeah, first year," Tara said, "Where do you go?"
"Sunnydale High," Willow said hoping it didn't sound as lame as she thought it had, "I'm a senior."
"What's the paper for?" Tara asked trying to keep the conversation going.
"History," Willow said, "I haven't really decided on a topic yet. I have two weeks to write it." I just keep sounding geekier and geekier.
"You sound like me. I always get my papers done way ahead of time."
"You don't think I'm a geek?"
"Should I?"
"I don't know. I just had this weird fight that wasn't really a fight with my friends and they were telling me that all I did was study. I just like to get things done. Plus I don't have anything better to do on a Friday night than sit in a library. Unless you count dinner with the Greens and their son Michael, who my parents want me to marry and I am so not interested in that. Maybe when I was seven, but what did I know then. I am so sorry sometimes I get started and I just can't stop."
"That's okay. I don't think you're a geek. I obviously have nothing better to do on a Friday night or I would be doing it. So who am I to judge?"
"I hope I didn't make you feel bad by saying that. I didn't mean to imply anything by that comment. I mean you could just be getting a book and going out on a date or something."
"No date," Tara said, "I really don't have anything to do tonight. I'm not even fortunate enough to have a paper to write."
"I don't really want to write my paper," Willow said, "I just didn't want to be at home, or with my friends. If you can understand that."
"I can," Tara said, "Have you had dinner yet?"
"No," Willow said.
"Let me treat you to dinner in the Grotto," Tara said.
"I couldn't," Willow said.
"Why not? It's just my student funds," Tara said.
"Are you sure you don't mind hanging out with a geek?" Willow asked.
"As long as you don't."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 2:58 pm 
That is an interesting start for an alternate world.
I notice a lot of dialog and not a lot of description. That isn't necessaryily bad, but some idea of setting and what is going on around them might be nice. Maybe a bit on body posture or facial expressions.
One other thing, if Tara is stuttering you should probably have that in her dialog.
Otherwise you do have a good sense of the characters' speech and the flow of what they say. Good job with the home life and wanting to get away from the parents. You will have to explain a bit more on the frustration with her friends, that seems like something from later on in the series, but you do depict it well.
It's a good start and I hope that you continue.
Garner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:56 pm 
Yay! A part two will be coming right?

[This message has been edited by Willow Rocks (edited March 27, 2002).]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:23 pm 
I like it a lot so far...keep it coming!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:21 pm 
I'm liking this fic. I think the thing that struck me as a little bit "off" was how bold Tara came off as. Asking for a book, inviting Willow out to dinner, etc.... I guess that I've just read alot of fics where Tara is extremely shy and I was thrown. But overall: I'd love to read some more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:32 pm 
I always wondered whyt hey never went to the UC library. I mean i rmember a couple of eps where they used books in it for demon research. It's actually a place where i think more Willow/Tara fics would take place. Good job
-Will

------------------
"Hear that, baby? You're my always."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:47 am 
I wasn't sure I was going to write a part two, but I decided I would give it a try.

Title: ?,part two
Time: Still around the third season
Summaryn alternate way in which Willow and Tara could have met.

Willow crept up the walk to her house and as carefully as she could turned the key in the lock. Slowly she turned the knob and pushed the door in cringing as it creeked. She paused for a moment listening to any indication that her parents had woken, hearing nothing she continued forward, shut the front door, and locked it. Feeling her way through the dark house she headed for her bedroom. Halfway there she kicked a table that she could have sworn didn't stick out that far before. She quietly, but quickly hopped down the hall to her bedroom.
"Ow,ow,ow," she said once safely in her room. Willow dropped down on her bed and grabbed her foot. "I am so stupid and for so many reasons," she thought, "I can't believe I came in the front door when I have a door in my room. How idiotic can I be? That's what I get for not doing this more often. I can't believe I was out until three in the morning." She hadn't intended to be out so late, but it just kind of happened. Once she started talking with Tara it was hard to stop. It started with dinner, then a walk, and then she had ended up in Tara's room, and they just talked all night. It wasn't like talking to Buffy or Xander. With them she had to be someone. She had to be the Willow Rosenberg they had known for years. She was expected to do and say certain things and everytime she stepped outside the box, they questioned her. "Something must be wrong with Willow," that's what they would think, so she climbed back into the box. She was so tired of it, and admittedly it wasn't all their fault. She didn't have to always conform, but she did. Willow didn't know what was going on with herself. Lately all she could think about was how different she felt, but tonight with Tara she hadn't felt that way. She felt completely at ease. Everytime she said something that wasn't "Willow" Tara just acted like it was because she didn't know. It was wonderful, the whole night had been wonderful, but there was one little problem. Willow was attracted to her, physically attracted to her. It wasn't the first time it had happened, but it was the first time she had wanted to act on it. Normally she would talk to Buffy about this sort of thing, but this was defiantely not in the Willow box. "Now what do I do?" she thought,"I shouldn't be worrying about it. Tara probably didn't even like me. At least not like that." Willow turned over again, sleep was out of the question. She couldn't stop thinking about Tara, and she couldn't stop thinking about why she suddenly hated her friends. Maybe hate was too strong, dislike was much better. "I wish I didn't feel that way." She tried not to feel that way, but the more she tried the stronger the feeling got. She rolled over and looked at the clock, 7:04. "I might as well get up," Willow thought climbing out of bed. She heard a light knock on her door.
"Come in," Willow said stretching her arms above her head.
"Did you finish your paper?" Sheila asked peeking her head into the room. The room was disgusting. Clothes everywhere, books on the floor. This did not look like Willow's room.
"No," Willow said catching her mother's disapproving glare, "I was tired last night. I just dropped my stuff. I'll clean it today."
"The Greens cancelled, they'll be coming over tonight. I told them you would take Michael to the Bronze."
"Why?" Willow asked.
"You don't want to hang around us old people all night," Sheila said wondering why Willow was so upset, "It's Saturday night, you always go to the Bronze with your friends. What's one more?"
"What if I had a date?"
"Oh, Willow," Sheila said laughing, "Be ready at seven."
"I hate my life," Willow thought. Now she would definately need Buffy around tonight. There was nothing like a pretty girl to distract a college boy. Willow picked up the phone and dialed Buffy's number.
"Hello," Joyce Summers said, she couldn't imagine who would be calling so early.
"Hi Mrs. Summers. Can I talk to Buffy?"
"Willow? Do you know what time it is?"
"Oh, sorry. I wasn't paying attention," Willow said.
"I'll go get Buffy," Joyce said laughing.
"I can't believe I just called someone before 7:30 on a Saturday morning. Buffy's gonna kill me," Willow thought.
"Hey Will, this better be important. I didn't get in until one," Buffy said.
"Only one, I didn't get in until three," Willow said. It came much more like Cordelia than she had wanted.
"What's wrong?" Buffy asked.
"Why would something be wrong? I just stayed out late that's all. It's not a crime."
"You never stay out that late, that's all," Buffy said hoping it was the lack of sleep making Willow so testy, "I didn't mean anything by it."
"Forget it," Willow said deciding now was a good time to back track out of that conversation, "Are you going to the Bronze tonight?"
"Does Giles have clean glasses? Of course I'm going to the Bronze tonight," Buffy said, "Look Will, whatever it is, whatever I did let's just talk about it."
"There's nothing to talk about. Nothing's wrong," Willow said, "I have to go. Bye." Willow hung up the phone before Buffy even had a chance to say goodbye. Just what she had expected to happen happened. Buffy immediately thought something was wrong. Willow had said nothing was wrong, but clearly something was. "Now isn't the time to get into that," Willow thought. She grabbed a pair of jeans and tee shirt from her closet and hastily dressed. "Now is the perfect time for a trip to the library."

She sat down at the same table she had last night. This time she didn't go get any books, she just took out her notebook and tried to come up with an idea for her paper. "Ideas, topics, theories. I got nothing," Willow thought.
"Hey," Tara said slidding into the seat in front of Willow. After talking all night her stutter seemed to disappear. "Back so soon."
"Hi," Willow said a bright smile appearing on her face, "I didn't get much done last night. Why are you here?"
"Returning the book," Tara said, "I saw you and I thought I'd say hi, but if you're busy I can leave."
"No, I can't seem to think today. I have something on my mind," Willow said.
"Do you wanna go somewhere and talk about it?" Tara asked.
"Sure," Willow said. If she didn't talk about it she was going to explode. She put her notebook away and headed out of the library with Tara. They walked silently across the campus until they reached a small field. Several students were milling around, or studying in the early morning light. Tara pointed to a large tree and they sat down beneath it.
"So what's up?" Tara asked.
"You have no idea how happy it makes me that you didn't ask me what was wrong," Willow said.
"What?" Tara said a half smile forming on her face. Willow loved that smile.
"Never mind," Willow said, "It's my friends, or my family, maybe it's me."
"I'm not sure I get what you mean."
"All my life I've done everything I was supposed to do. They expect me to be there whenever they need anything. If they forget to tape a show, or they forget what the homework assignment is, I'm there. Old reliable Willow."
"There's nothing wrong with being dependable," Tara said.
"It's just that sometimes I don't want to be dependable. Sometimes I want to be the one who gets to stay out all night and do crazy things."
"I'm not seeing a problem. If you want to do something, do it," Tara said.
"If I did they would all want to know what was wrong with me. They think I don't do things like that just because I haven't before."
"You can't live your life for other people," Tara said wishing she had taken her own advice, "You'll never be happy that way. Trust me I know. You should talk to your friends about this. They probably don't even know that they're doing anything to upset you."
"You're right, they don't. Maybe tonight at the Bronze," Willow said leaning back against the tree. Tara laid back on the grass with her hands behind her head. Willow just starred at her. Willow started at her feet, trailing her eyes all the way up Tara's body stopping momentarily at her breasts before moving on. "She's absolutly beautiful," Willow thought, "I should stop looking." Willow knew she should most definately stop looking, but she couldn't seem to stop herself. It was like her hormones took control of her brain.
"Am I growing a third head?" Tara asked looking over at Willow. She could feel the other girl's gaze on her from the moment she laid down.
"What?" Willow asked.
"You've been starring," Tara said smiling. She was quite flattered by it.
"You noticed, huh?"
"It was hard not to," Tara said.
"I'm sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me."
"You don't have to be sorry," Tara said sitting up and placing her hand over Willow's, "and there is nothing wrong with you."
"I don't know what I'm doing," Willow said leaning in towards Tara.
"You don't always have to," Tara said closing the gap and placing her lips on Willow's.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:12 am 
:queals:: OMG That was so cool! I loved the descriptions, adn Tara is so great! Please post more soon.
-Will

------------------
"Hear that, baby? You're my always."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:50 am 
Nice alternate starting point with lots of well used "Buffyisms" in the dialogue.

As someone already mentioned if Tara is stuttering show it... adds character as if she needed any!

Also, and this is just a personal opinion, you might want to try double spacing between paragraphs. On screen reading is harder on the eye than on paper and I find double spacing the parargraphs helps. Course some people probably hate it... ignore me*S*

Good start

Katharyn.

------------------
You hear that baby?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:40 pm 
I'm glad you decided to continue the story...I like it a lot!!

--Michelle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:01 pm 
Very good!! On the one hand I was surprised that Tara was so assertive (offering to talk, kissing Willow - woo hoo!) because she was always so shy in the beginning, and yet, within your premise, this shows how comfortable they've gotten with each other so quickly. Looking forward to the next part.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:08 pm 
I .. yeah..umm its.. 'okay.'