The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fic: Mother Knows Best
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2001 6:23 pm 
Kalita
Cool Monster Fighter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup, after my various false starts over time, I finally finished something (even if it's just adding some scenes to an existing episode). And it all just came out at once, too.
It's a "Tough Love" fic (like everything else is these days), so SPOILER warning (though I think everyone knows it by now).

EditAdd: Forgot my dedication... I got the germ for this from Willow's comments in "Forever", and thinking of Mother's Day this Sunday. This is for all the Moms out there.

Enjoy!

-----

Mother Knows Best
by Kalita

Just some little thing that sprung from my muse all sudden-like. Takes place during "Tough Love", thus SPOILERS for that ep.

Joss knows all, is all, and most importantly, owns all - him and Fox and the WB/UPN. They own 'em, I just write about 'em. I don't get paid, I just bask in the glow of feedback (hint, hint). This is, incredibly enough, my first published fic.

Feed the bard at: maquis_kalita@yahoo.com

Rating: Barely PG.

Prologue

March, 2001

Willow Rosenberg accepted the coffee cup from her mother and sat back on the sofa she'd known for years. She was comfortable, rested, and yet still anxious. She'd been coming to her family home at least once a week recently, with the problems affecting Buffy's mother making her want to reach out to her own.

They'd talked about that a lot; Joyce's tumor and mental state, her recovery and how Buffy was taking it. She'd even managed to finally get her mother to say her best friend's name correctly, having suffered through hearing of "that Bunny girl" for too long.

They'd talked of other things, too - school and her various courses, how she was approaching the less structured things like drama and literature, what she might finally decide on for a major. Shiela talked about her practice and the latest journal articles on this and that, Ira giving a 'harrumph' from the corner every now and then despite his claim of not listening.

Willow was comfortable, moreso that she was for much of high school when things were more intense in her life than her parents could hope to understand. Not that things ever quieted down on a Hellmouth, but she had more stability in her life, more of a solid ground.

Which is where the anxiety came in. Despite the newfound comfort, there was one thing that she still couldn't get the courage to mention: the new significant other in her life, and the fact that person was a woman.

Tara had even teased her about it a time or two, when Willow would get guilty in her presence over how she percieved she was slighting her lover - even though Tara felt Willow should take her time and wait till it felt right.

Willow drank her coffee, once again wondering if this would be the time she might get enough courage to mention it.

Her father was in the corner, reading, apparently oblivious. Her mother was prattling on about one of her neighbours and how she was always complaining about the height of their shared fence. Willow nodded at the appropriate intervals and sighed inwardly.

This wouldn't be that night.

---

May 2, 2001
12:14 AM

Buffy looked Willow over one more time. The fight with Glory had left her friend somewhat frazzled, but decidedly more calm than earlier in the evening when she had sworn her vengeance on the demon-goddess. In fact, Buffy thought, it must have been somewhat catharctic for the young witch; her anger had been let out, and she had more of a purposeful stance.

"So I'll get you first thing in the morning, and we'll go discharge Tara, okay?"

"Okay," Willow replied, looking up. "Hey, maybe we could pack up some of Tara's stuff after? We should get her moved out of her dorm, 'cuz she..."

"I know. We can talk about it in the morning, okay?"

Willow nodded. "Okay."

"You sure you're gonna be okay here?" Buffy indicated the door to the Rosenberg home, where she was dropping off the redhead.

"Yeah, I need something not-too-familiar to keep me from thinking about..."

"Just let it go, Will. We'll see her in the morning."

The witch nodded assertively. "Yeah, in the morning."

"See you then."

Willow nodded at her friend as the blonde went off to guard her sister. She then turned to the door, quietly opening it with her spare key.

Her parents had decided to keep her bedroom for her, just in case she ever needed to come home instead of staying on campus. Willow had taken advantage of it a few times, especially after Oz left. Now she was back again, also with a heartache, but of a different kind.

She made her way quietly to her room, mechanically changing into pajamas. She decided to forgo brushing her teeth, and was just turning down the bed when there was a knock at her door.

"Willow? Is that you?" Shiela Rosenburg asked quietly.

"Mom? Did I wake you up, I'm sorry." Willow went to the door, opening it to find a surprisingly alert mother standing there.

"No, I was having trouble sleeping anyway." Her mother entered the room, swinging the door closed partway. "You don't look like you're having a good night, yourself. Would you like to talk about it?"

Willow surprised herself when she realized that's what she would like. "Yes, actually, That'd be - nice," she said genuinely.

Her mother carefully closed the door all the way. "Well, let's talk in here. Your father's already snoring, but he's got an early meeting and I'd rather not chance waking him up."

Willow went over to the bed, arranging the pillows for comfortable seating. Her mother settled her robe and took the offered spot on the bed.

"Mom, we've been talking a lot more lately, and I'm really glad we have. I think we may have been losing touch for a while there, but I'm starting to find we're getting closer. Y'know?"

"Yes, dear. I'd noticed too, and I'm glad we both feel that way." Her mother looked at her; concern, love, and compassion seemed to radiate. Willow felt quite better already.

"Well, there's one thing I never managed to mention to you. Mainly, 'cuz I didn't know how you'd... what you'd say, or..."

Her mother sensed the anxiety and nerves, and knew she had to step carefully. "Willow. You're my daughter, you can tell me about anything you think I can help with. I'll do my best not to judge, okay?"

"Okay." Willow took a deep breath, and went on. "There's someone new in my life. We've known each other for, well, over a year now, and we've gotten very close. We're involved, actually. I've really come to care for, ah, them, and what we've got is so... so special... but now something's happened, and I know I can get through it, we have our love to keep us going, but... I'm feeling a bit lost right now..." Willow wiped the encroaching tears from her eyes and stopped for a moment.

"This person sounds very nice, Willow," her mother replied, rubbing her dauhter's shoulder in support. "Although I would have liked to have met, ah, them before now."

"Yeah, but you see..." Willow started.

"Can I take a guess?"

"Huh?"

"You're not one to mix pronouns like this, Willow. Don't think I don't know you. 'They' should never be used in place of a singular, anyway. Use 'he'... or what I suspect is proper, 'she'."

Willow met her mother's direct gaze. "Busted," she admitted.

A moment passed between mother and daughter, the elder Rosenberg giving a loving, accepting look. "So, what's her name?" Shiela asked, calmly and openly.

Wilow's eyes lit up as she took in her mother's acceptance, and the chance to speak of her love. "Tara. Tara Maclay. She's got the most wonderful blue eyes, Mom, and golden hair that I never miss seeing from a distance..."

Willow's mother smiled, taking in the loving description her daughter laid out for her.

---

The women talked on into the night, Shiela learning many of the things her daughter had been doing over the past year that hadn't quite come up in their previous conversations. Willow had so much to tell, despite having to edit around anything supernatural. She'd save that for another night. Maybe when Tara was there.

Then she caught herself and realized Tara wouldn't quite be able to introduce herself, and froze up.

"Willow? What is it?"

Willow took a calming breath and began speaking in a detached tone. "I didn't tell you about today, yet."

Shiela looked to her daughter, asking with her eyes for her to go on.

"I think you heard, about all the mental problems coming up in town lately?"

"Those poor mental patients? Yes, very strange, all of them with no prior history."

"Well, something's doing it to them." Willow took another breath. "It got Tara today."

"Oh, my god." Shiela let out a rare curse as she realized what her daughter was facing. "How - how is she?"

"She's well enough, I guess. She's at the hospital tonight, for observation. She still knows me, knows my name, knows I love her. But she's not all there, and it's got me so scared, Mom-"

"Shhhhh," her mother consoled her as he wrapped her in a hug. "She still has you. And from what you've told me, she loves and trusts you very much. And I can see how much you've changed and grown up, too. You can be there for her, Willow. Care for her and love her, and maybe we'll find what's gone wrong. It may not be impossible."

Willow lay wrapped in her mother's arms for several minutes, crying, taking in the love her mother was giving unconditionally, and letting her heart and mind focus again. "Thanks, Mom," she said finally.

"Okay, now how about you try to sleep, alright? You have to be awake and alert when you go get her tomorrow."

"Okay," Willow conceded, realizing she actually might be able to sleep now. "Buffy's gonna pick me up in the morning - can you wake me when she gets here?"

"Of course, dear. Sleep well." Shiela tucked her daughter in, kissed her forehead, and turned out the light.

Willow lay for a few moments, went over the events of the evening, and realized things weren't as bad as she had been thinking.

That consoled her as she drifted off to sleep, thinking of her love and how she would see her again soon.

fin

[This message has been edited by Kalita (edited May 11, 2001).]

Rane
Willowhand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
conratulations, kalita, on a job well done! that was beautiful! sniffle, sniffle!
------------------
WILLOW- (under her breath)I didn't create the troll... I didn't date the troll... (starting to have fun) In fact I hate the troll. I helped deflate the troll- (off Xander's look) All done.

Zahir
Nether World Anchor

Awwwww!
Thanks Kalita.

------------------
"O let my name be in the Book of Love.
If it be there, I care not of
That other book Above...
Strike it out! Or write it in anew.
But let it be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

Dr.G
Gay Now!

Lovely story, thanks Kalita
Just one tiny nitpickie thingie, Tara's eyes are blue.

Halcyon
Cool Monster Fighter

Thanks Kalita, lovely bit there.

Warduke
Big Pineapple

Great fic Kalita

Kalita
Cool Monster Fighter

*smacks head annoyingly*
Thanks, Dr. G. I musta got Will's eyes mixed up with Tara's (hey, they're both gazeworthy) and just never caught it.

But hey, if that's all I screwed up...

EditAdd: Ah fixed it! All better now.

[This message has been edited by Kalita (edited May 11, 2001).]

Dr.G
Gay Now!

So true Kalita, I can easily drown in both of them.
Heh heh, and yep that was all.

xita
Ms. Moderator
Fantastico

Kalita great job!

Verbena
Blessed Wannabe

Snif !
Bravo, Kalita...!
Hey, guys ! Another fic, please ? I am so worried about what is going to happen that I really need more great fics as Kalita's one.
And my English isn't good enough to allow me to write a fic... So...

------------------
"Did anybody order an Apocalypse...?"

Roxton
Strong like an Amazon

Thanks kalita, your story was beautiful and so very touching.

Catwoman
Willowhand

Beautiful fic Kalita . I would love to see a scene like this with Willow and her mum next season.
------------------
"Meow"- Miss Kitty Fantastico, 'Family'.

Wiccagrrl
Nether World Anchor

sniffle...that was really, really sweet and very well done. Thanks for posting it.
------------------
Tracy

Hear that Baby? You're my always.

wiltar4evr
Doll's eye crystal

Wow, this is great I love it.
------------------
WTXenGab