The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alabama Court Rules Against Gay Mother
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:33 pm 
http://wire.ap.org/APnews/?SITE=ALMOP&FRONTID=HOME

Ala. Court Rules Against Gay Mother

By PHILLIP RAWLS
Associated Press Writer

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — In awarding custody of three teen-agers to their father over their gay mother, the chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court on Friday wrote that homosexuality is ``an inherent evil'' and shouldn't be tolerated.

The nine-judge panel ruled unanimously in favor of a Birmingham man and against his ex-wife, who now lives with her gay partner in southern California.

The parents weren't named in court documents to protect the identity of the children, ages 15, 17 and 18.

Chief Justice Roy Moore wrote that the mother's relationship made her an unfit parent and that homosexuality is ``abhorrent, immoral, detestable, a crime against nature, and a violation of the laws of nature.''

Moore also quoted scripture, historical documents and previous state court rulings that he said backed his view.

Moore is known for his decision to place washing machine-sized monuments of the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building after he became chief justice last year. He also fought to keep a Ten Commandments plaque in his courtroom when he was a district judge.

David White, state coordinator for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance of Alabama, said Moore's opinion reflected outdated thinking.

``It's unfortunate Alabama is going to be embarrassed once again by a religious fanatic in a position of power in Alabama,'' White said. ``It's obvious he cannot judge a gay person fairly and he should be removed from office.''

John Giles, state president of the Christian Coalition, said Moore's decision protected the institution of marriage and strengthened the traditional family.

The father had held custody since 1996, but the mother petitioned for custody in June 2000, contending the father had been abusive.

John Durward, the father's attorney, said his client ``is very relieved.''

The mother's attorney, Wendy Crew, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

...(breathing deeply)...

Okay, when I heard this on the news, I stuck my fingers in my ears and ran away. But in some kind of must-look-at-the-car-wreck way, I had to know.

Y'know, I left Alabama once, partly because of this kind of shit. (But mostly because I just wasn't happy with my life.) I never felt at home anywhere else, and still wasn't happy, so I came back. Much better now. Yet, the shit continues. I'm so mad, I could chew nails and spit tacks.

This "judge" guy got elected in the first place because of his biases and he'll keep getting elected forever. What is wrong with the world?

Anyway, I'm going to take some Happy Campers and let myself be overcome by their valeriany goodness.

Take care, Kitties. Hope everyone's well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:39 pm 
*SIGH*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:42 pm 
boo. you know, just when i think we're actually getting some progress in matters like this, some thing like that happens.

------------------
Willow and Tara's Love

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:48 pm 
Well it was in Alabama. They still fly Confederate flags there.

It is terrible, but hardly a surprise.

Can't honestly say it is much better here in Illinois.

Warlock.

------------------
Web Warlock
web.warlock@attbi.com webwarlock@planetadnd.com
Author, the Netbooks of Witches and Warlocks
The Other Side: http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/
Shadow Earth Games: http://www.rpghost.com/WebWarlock/
The FanCC: http://www.enworld.org/fancc/
--
"What the hell is your problem?" - Ozzy Osbourne to me, Feb. 1996

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:57 pm 
I just guess that I'm disappointed with this news. Well really, I'm angry. It's quite upsetting, but with a fanatical "Christian" (and I use that term loosely) judge, it's hardly surprising. For all I know, that could've been my own Father presiding over that court. Jeez, I hate biggotry.

------------------
"...the hardest thing in this world is to live in it..."
~Buffy, The Gift.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:04 am 
absolutely infuriating...... Southern California has its share of problems (see Prop 22... Pete Knight) but its moments like this that im glad to live here. There are so many things wrong (ie not factual) with with what that "judge" had to say that an amature sociologist like me hardly knows where to begin.... So Ill just leave it with

Grrrr Arrrg

------------------
The good fight, aye?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:06 am 
Alabama REPRESENT!

Oh, wait ...

What I meant to say is that, for all his faults, how can you hate a judge who writes such beautiful poetry?

God I hate this town.

Edited to add: When following the link in the original post, you might find that the article has ticked off the front page. If so, try going to the ``U.S.'' section. It stays there a bit longer.

[This message has been edited by the literary exterminator (edited February 16, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:19 am 
unfit because shes gay please..
thats BS..
LBJM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:21 am 
You know, I grew up not far from there. In many ways, the deep south is a cultured and civilized place.

But its also really, really steeped in the most primitive forms of modern religion. Very, very sad. And infuriating.

Nor very Christian, if you ask me.

------------------
"O let my name be in the Book of Love.
If it be there, I care not of
That other book Above...
Strike it out! Or write it in anew.
But let it be in the Book of Love!"
--Omar Kyam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:52 am 
it's really sad to see how low ppl can go in the name of religion My heart goes out to that woman,what must her kids be thinking,esp the 18 year old(hey isn't that old enough to be free from a custody battle??)

Makes me glad to live in southern Cali

------------------
"My heart doesn't stutter" -Tara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:05 am 
quote:
Originally posted by the literary exterminator:
What I meant to say is that, for all his faults, how can you hate a judge who writes such beautiful poetry?

Oh, holy hell, that POEM! I didn't even know about that. It's hilarious. My dog writes better poetry. With his ass.

I'm all with the grrr and the argh here, and it's really nice to have company. Thanks everyone for your thoughts, and for listening.
quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:29 am 
Just like SilverAngel said, its seems like every time you feel like the world is FINALLY changing and becoming more accepting, close minded retarded judges throw this crap at you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:42 am 
(In my state, the custody battle would only have been about the 15 year old.)
Anyhow, sometimes I think if these type of cases are going to go against the gay parent anyway, it helps the national cause for the judge's statements to be so outragous. It makes his position look all the more ridiculous to those in the general public who may be "on the fence" on this issue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 1:57 am 
quote:
Originally posted by maudmac:

John Giles, state president of the Christian Coalition, said Moore's decision protected the institution of marriage and strengthened the traditional family.

I thought we were finally getting past that whole "the traditional is the only one that can properly raise children."

Sometimes people suck.

------------------
Kind of an unusual name. There's hardly any except Warren Beatty and, you know, President Harding. It's probably not either of them.
quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:59 am 
His and his ilks time is passing.. Trust me. While that may be of no solice to this poor woman and her children, you are seeing the last gasp of these fools.
I know it is not as good as seeing him getting beaten to a pulp , but it does help to realize that ten years ago this would not have even made the news as it was so common.

[This message has been edited by drlloyd11 (edited February 16, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:14 am 
quote:
Chief Justice Roy Moore wrote that the mother's relationship made her an unfit parent and that homosexuality is ``abhorrent, immoral, detestable, a crime against nature, and a violation of the laws of nature.''

Hmmm, is it just me or could this be that this judge was perhaps a wee bit biased?
And isn't that like a tiny little bit illegal? I mean passing judgement is supposed to be based on the law is it not, not one's own personal beliefs? Hmmm nevermind, this is just me being naieve.
quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:21 am 
In the book “Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity” the researcher documented homosexual-style behavior in over 190 species in the animal kingdom.

So much for it being a ‘violation of the laws of nature.’

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:50 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
In the book “Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity” the researcher documented homosexual-style behavior in over 190 species in the animal kingdom.

damn straight.
its okay for the hairy ape be homosexual but not for the hairless ape.
now as someone who has studied human evolution, i can say that homosexual behaviour is never looked upon as all those nasty words that that guy was saying. homosexuality is AS natural as heterosexuality.
that guy is deluded and should not be in a position of power.

quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 9:51 am 
quote:
Originally posted by drlloyd11:
I know it is not as good as seeing him getting beaten to a pulp , but it does help to realize that ten years ago this would not have even made the news as it was so common.
Great point. In Montgomery, it made the front page of the paper.

Oh, and just so no one thinks that his words were out of context, here's a longer quotation from Moore's opinion, from this article:

quote:
No matter how much society appears to change, the law on this subject has remained steadfast from the earliest history of the law, and that law is and must be our law today. The common law designates homosexuality as an inherent evil, and if a person openly engages in such a practice, that fact alone would render him or her an unfit parent.
quote:quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:22 pm 
Goin' off topic for a second here: Hey! the literary exterminator, you're in Montgomery? Well, now, here I was thinking there weren't any Alabama Kitties! I'm in Birmingham.

Topic, now, please: There is just no way on Earth that homosexuality violates the "laws of nature". People who think that don't know about nature. Same-sex couplings/bondings/whatever have been observed all over the place. I remember reading somewhere about a study of seagulls. They found that 14% of female seagulls nested with other females. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

I also remember reading something about a theory on the social value of homosexuality. It said that human civilization has always needed people who were outside the reproduction loop. Men and women who had no investment in their own offspring were free to perform other vital tasks, and the whole tribe benefitted. Hey, we're essential!

All this has helped my cheese not feel so incredibly grated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:48 pm 
I'm quite sure you'll find no argument here about homosexuality not violating any natural laws. However I personally would take great issue with the notion that gay people have "no investment in their own offspring". (I realize this is not your personal theory, maudmac.)

On the topic at hand, what is there to say other than *sigh*.

------------------
"We are in the love. We are...the in love ones. Lesbian, in love with merry-type."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 4:51 pm 
*sigh*, as was said earlier at least now it's the judges values that are called into question rather than the other way round. I won't go into the whole dolphin and sea horse studies that I'm sure many here know about already. Unnatural my ass. All I wanted to add was a bit of national pride. Hope this isn't out of place.

Scotland's first First Minister (that's like the U.S President or the U.K. Prime Minister but without nearly as much power) was a guy called Donald Dewar (sadly deceased and much missed). There was a section in an Education Act, Section 28, which stated that homosexuality was not to be "promoted" in schools. Like we have anywhere near that many toaster ovens in Scotland anyway. (ahem, bad joke.) Anyway this section was put forward for repeal and Donald said (paraphrasing) this on the subject,
"We cannot call ourselves a civilised society while something like this is on the statute book."

The world is changing. Slowly. But progress is being made, at different rates, in different places. The fact that this made the press is progress. Not nearly fast enough, but still it provides hope.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:04 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:

The world is changing. Slowly. But progress is being made, at different rates, in different places. The fact that this made the press is progress. Not nearly fast enough, but still it provides hope.

I agree, but it still irks me that progress needs to be made at all. You know?

------------------
Kind of an unusual name. There's hardly any except Warren Beatty and, you know, President Harding. It's probably not either of them.
~Willow in IWMTLY

Love is like a dead fish: That may sound unromantic, but no one has disagreed with me yet.
-Jim Hibbeler
quote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:55 am 
I would really be interested in knowing more about this case. The woman wanted custody because the father was abusive, how was he abusive? Does he hit the kids? Did he hit her while they were married? If true sounds like some judge once again left the kids in a not so great situation because of his bias. Isn't abusing children evil? Hopefully the children will maintain contact with their mother, if I remember correctly once of them was 18 and could choose for themselves what they wanted and where they wanted to go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:13 am 
Geez...

btw - I love giraffes.. they're my favourite animal, and it's been suggested that at least 25% of the male population is gay, and loving it...

*David Attenborough voice*

Watch the giraffe as it approaches it's proposed mate, and they intertwine necks. A sure sign of affection...

Goodness, they appear to be both male.

As I was saying.. I love giraffes..

C.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 11:37 am 
Hee! Giraffes are my favorite animal too! And I remember reading that researchers had observed high incidences of homosexual behavior among them. Personally I just get fed up when people pull out the whole "evil" or "unnatural" argument because I can't understand what can be unnatural or evil about love?

This reminds me of a custody case a number of years ago where the judge ruled that a teenage girl should live with her father, who had killed his first wife, rather than her mother, who was a lesbian. When even murderers are considered more fit parents than queers, you know something's seriously wrong!

------------------
i feel her eyes watching me
from behind the curtain of her hair
and she says i'm sorry
i didn't mean to stare
-Ani DiFranco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:04 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Caity:
Geez...

btw - I love giraffes.. they're my favourite animal, and it's been suggested that at least 25% of the male population is gay, and loving it...

*David Attenborough voice*

Watch the giraffe as it approaches it's proposed mate, and they intertwine necks. A sure sign of affection...

Goodness, they appear to be both male.

As I was saying.. I love giraffes..

C.

And this line from "Gladiator" :

"You sold me queer giraffes!"

quote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 12:05 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Twisted Rabbit:

And this line from "Gladiator" :

"You sold me queer giraffes!"

TEEHEE!!! Go the Giraffes!!!

Caity

[This message has been edited by Caity (edited February 17, 2002).]quote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 3:22 pm 
I agree Neta, I would be kinda interested to know what is meant by the claim that the father was 'abusive'.

This is one of those cases where all you can do is sigh and feel sorry for a world that is so short-sighted and ignorant. Stuff is changing... and yes, it's changing WAY too slowly, and yes, you do wonder why it's necessary to have to argue this at all, but....

And hey, that poem made my mom laugh, and she was once the biggest anti-gay gal ever, so just her complete change in opinion gives me hope. People will change... they just have to be shown the ignorance of their ways first.

Oh, and yay the giraffes!!!!

------------------
"Je dois partir maintenant parce que ma grandmere est flambé..."
- Eddie 'covered in beeeees!' Izzard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:02 pm 
Last night on Aust. TV, there was a news segment (on ABC news) about another new study that has found children of gay couples are no more likely to suffer problems (of any kind), than those of straight couples, and are just as likely to grow up healthy and happy.

During the story, they included a brief interview with two women who are raising their young daughter.
And Dr Kerryn Phelps (president of the Australian Medical Association, and also a lesbian) also spoke out to support the new study.

The whole report was very positive.
Anyway I just thought I'd mention it as a little good news story

Sarah-B.