The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT - another crappy part of my crappy life
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:19 pm 
Hi... you must be tired of reading OT posts from me, but I'm having yet another problem...
I've been feelign discriminated at my College. I'm not sure why. I've been putting the hypotesis of being homophobia, but I've only told 3 ppl from there and they're all trustworthy.

The problem is: I catch ppl making bad comments about me in my back and they stare at me in the labs (in which I have to be everyday) like I'm a freak and there's also the part in which a few people I know, pretend not to know me, just so they don't have to tell me 'hi' when tey're with other people.

And the worst part is that it seems to be spreading through people there, because even people who don't know me look at me funny.

I'm feeling terrible there and I don't know what to do about it, because I didn't start it in the first place.

Help.... ;_;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:23 pm 
Mara:

Just so I understand, you feel that people are often talking about you and judging you behind your back both in real life and here on the boards? I'm curious... how long have you felt this way? Do you feel like this in most situations?

------------------
The good fight, aye?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:41 pm 
I don't usually feel this way.

Just lately, in the last couple of months people *have* been talking about me on my back at college. I've actually caught a couple of conversations and comments about me which weren't exactly nice. ;_;

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:07 pm 
i feel for you Mara. the best thing to do is ignore them. i know it'll be hard but what can you do? they're not living your life. they're ignorant ppl thus they judge all the time and say stuff (rumours) that would hurt you. if you hear any of their conversations abt you, just pretend you didn't and go very far away from them as possible. just stick to your close friends. sorry to hear abt it, hope this helped. peace

------------------
Willow and Tara
Willow and Tara's Room

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:43 pm 
What do they say about you?

------------------
The good fight, aye?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:21 am 
Mara, I would recommend speaking to a school counselor. It sounds like you are really stressed out and anxious and could use support. I really feel for you and hope you will reach out for help in real time, as well as vent on this board.

EDITED to delete something that would be more appropriately expressed privately through email.

[This message has been edited by judy (edited March 28, 2002).]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:36 am 
I think a school counselor would be good idead may as well vent and/or have a conversation with someone who can reply to you in the immediate form. However, we're hear for you.

------------------
Sugarloaf
"Due to the recent presidential elections, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:08 am 
Mara, I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me, and it turned out that *someone* started spreading the rumor about me being gay. Okay, it was true, but hard nonetheless. I think it was a girl with who I used to be friends... she had told me a while before that that she didn't want to hang with me because 'she didn't wanna listen to all my problems'... She didn't know officially about me being gay though, she might have suspected it because of my W/T talk all the time.
Anyway: I got confronted with it at school by a 'friend' of mine... she told me she couldn't hang with me anymore because she had heard stuff about me. So I asked her 'what stuff?' And she said : "that you're gay" I didn't know what to say, I never expected this to come out at school... The only person who knew I am gay was my gf of that time, and she wasn't in school with me. Anyway, by the whole damn situation I was forced to actually tell my friends that I am gay... I did so, and they all reacted great. Now, I don't care what other people say anymore. I have friends who are important to me, who accept me for who I am.

Once you've got friends like that, you will not mind all that other stuff anymore. You know you will be supported. So, I would say; tell this to someone of who you *know* that he/she will support you.

I know it sucks right now, but it will get better. Really.

Patricia

------------------
"What are they looking at?"
"The hotness of you, doofus!"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:52 am 
Mara, can I suggest that it might help to actually ask the people you'e caught talking behind your back, what they are saying and why? Maybe by getting to the bottom of the rumours you can stop them! Other than that, I can only tell you to, like eeryone else has said, ignore it and maybe talk to a counsellor or even a close friend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:40 pm 
Well, one of the things I heard them say was after a guy I don't even know made a comment that he said 'shouldn't be made in front of girls' and then added 'but there's none here in the room'. And he'd seen I was in the room when he entered.

I'm just frustrated with this whole situation. ;_; And I'm gonna have to be in college for 2, 3 more years...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:03 pm 
Mara, that kind of comment sounds like something a child would say. I suggest you perhaps tell these people to grow up, and when they do, you'll maybe start to treat them with the respect they deserve. Honestly...young people...

And I think seeing a counselor on campus is a great idea. Even if it's just as someone totally objective to vent with once a week or something.

You know, starting college is a harsh experience. Everything is new. And it seems like these people, whoever they are, are trying to find their own feet as much as you are. And for some of them I think it will mean beating down others. Stupid behavior.

------------------
You know I've been through hell...Joss can't you see, there'll be nothing left of me. You made me believe...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:18 pm 
I really dont know what to say, I'll pray for you though Kays?