The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OT - Oscars
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:15 pm 
Is anyone watching the Acadamy Awards right now? I live in Hawaii so there's a major delay but I just read on the net that Nicole Kidman lost! What the hell! She should have won! She was so great in Moulin Rouge! I'm so upset right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:21 pm 
And she should have won because of???

------------------
No, please. I mean, tell me if I said something wrong otherwise I know I'll say it again. Probably often and in public.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:25 pm 
Am I the only one who wanted Halle Berry to just shut up and stop thanking people? I mean, I just kept waiting for Dave Barry to be right and for her to get hit with a tranquilizer dart after the first few hours of her acceptance speech.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:26 pm 
Well I think Halle Berry deserved the Oscar, and she became the first African American to win for Best Actress. So we got to witness history being made, and therefore deserved the time she got to thank people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:28 pm 
Behold the power of Poitier...

------------------
Behold, the power of Poitier...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:33 pm 
I'm not saying that I don't like that Halle got the oscar, I'm just saying that I don't like that Nicole didn't. I thought Halle was great in Monsters Ball but I just loved Moulin Rouge and I thought Nicole was just incredible in that. And I guess I'm biased because Nicole is one of my favorite actresses. But I'm glad that Halle was the one to beat Nicole out of everyone. I really think that Halle is an excellent actress, I just love Nicole!

Oh and I just read that Denzel won! That I'm really happy about. Its about time he got some recognition. Wow, a great night for African American actors beating out the Australian one's huh?

------------------
"But with Tara, I just know she likes Willow, and she already has one of those" – "Family"

"Honey, in case you didn’t hear me the first six-thousand times, no more teleportation spells." – "Crush"

Willow: "I figured, life goes by so fast, if you don’t write stuff down it just gets…lost."
Tara: "Down to every last bagel"
Willow: "Down to every last everything I do with you" – "Forever"

[This message has been edited by shellybean (edited March 25, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by shellybean (edited March 25, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:43 pm 
Awesome! A Beautiful Mind won Best Picture! I loved that movie, and I think Russell Crowe deserved Best Actor. He was fantastic in that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:48 pm 
I can't believe LOTR didn't win best picture, what a load of crap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:49 pm 
I understand Shellybean, Nicole was very good in both Moulin Rogue and The Others. However, the voting commitee obviously wanted to send a message this year. The awards winners, with the exception of Halle Berry were very predictable.

Obviously they never saw Halle's Pepsi commerical. ^_^

------------------

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:53 pm 
I love Nicole too shellybean
Although maybe Moulin Rouge had too much emphasis on choreography and costumes.
Halle Berry's role was more personal, with less effects-driven distractions, so that sort of thing usually wins

So I'm happy she won.
And even tho I'm an aussie, I'm happy Russell Crowe didn't Because while he's a great actor, he also happens to be a planet-sized boofhead in real life.
And he's won before anyway.

cya!

Sarah-B.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 10:53 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Warduke:

Take heart, it's got two more tries at it...quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:01 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Warduke:

You've got that right! I'm sure 'A Beautiful Mind' is a great film and all, but LOTR was IT. There was nothing better last year.

As for Denzel winning Best Actor, it's about time! He should have won two years ago for "The Hurricane". That made my night.

quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:03 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah-B:
And even tho I'm an aussie, I'm happy Russell Crowe didn't Because while he's a great actor, he also happens to be a planet-sized boofhead in real life.
And he's won before anyway.
Sarah-B.

True, but the award is for "Best Actor" not "Guy who's the least Boofheadish"
And so what if he's won before? It was a spectacular performance on his part, IMO deserving of an Oscar.

quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:08 pm 
But then he had just won for his less than spectacular perfomance in Gladiator and Russell Crowe is no Tom Hanks.

The point is, often actors/actresses win for achievements other than their nomination. Often they are overlooked until much later in their careers and then given an award for a lesser performance.

Crowe for the Insider, should have proabaly won, but that was American Beauty's year.

Crowe for Gladiator should not have won, but there was no way Oscar was going to give the best pic to a forgein film (CTHD).

Crowe for Beautiful Mind probably should have won, but with the Poitier thing going on, Denzel had this night wrapped well in advance.

Also ABM for best pic, bah, Oscar proves again they will NEVER give the award to a fantasy/sci fi film.

Star Wars vs Annie Hall
Raiders of the Lost Ark vs Chariots of Fire
LOTR vs ABM

Is it cool no, is it annoying hell yes, but that is how the Oscar machine works.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rally (edited March 25, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:10 pm 
Quick question. Can't Russell Crowe afford a personality?
Just wondering because his is about as apparent as the oscar statue itself.
------------------
A.K.A. Liz

Kisses and gay love anyone?
When it comes to love, I just don't see straight.

[This message has been edited by willow420 (edited March 25, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:14 pm 
Obviously not Liz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:14 pm 
Neither can he afford a razor, apparently...

------------------

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:30 pm 
I too am surprised that LOTR didn't win Best Picture. I was almost sure it would.

Oscars often go to the people who deserved them the year before ... why is that? Then they just keep playing catch-up. Maybe the first ever Oscars weren't really chosen, but drawn randomly from a hat, causing the need to award those who should have gotten the thing in the first place with something the following year.

~Joy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:31 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by supermus:
True, but the award is for "Best Actor" not "Guy who's the least Boofheadish"
And so what if he's won before? It was a spectacular performance on his part, IMO deserving of an Oscar.

I know, I know. But I'm not an Academy judge though, so I can speak from a purely like/dislike-person point of view
I just "go" for the actors/actresses I "like" - and that means in terms of both talent and personality.

Sarah-B.quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:34 pm 
Watched the Oscars. I actually enjoyed them this year! Which is odd because usually they seem so long and drawn out. Whoopi was hilarious. I wanted Nicole Kidman to win but when Halle got up there i lost it and couldn't stop crying. Seemed like everyone was crying with me too *lol*
And blah A beautiful mind won for BP. I really thought that Moulin Rouge should have taken it.

Well off to watch the Post show on E!

~*~Tamara~*~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:35 pm 
I was pretty happy with the way the awards worked out. Denzel and Halle winning, especially on a night when Sidney Poitier won a lifetime acheivement award...very touching. And Hallie was *so* excited.

I was kinda rooting for Lord of the rings, and especially Lord Ian, but it will have two more chances and Beautiful Mind was wonderful, as was Jim Broadbent's performance in Iris. And I was *thrilled* that Jennifer Connelly won. I just adore her. I would have liked to have seen Nicole Kidman win, cause I thought she was great, but I just can't feel bad that Halle Berry won.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:23 am 
Of course since I'm in the LAST timezone anywhere its still doing the oscars! Its doing the best song performances right now. So I haven't seen Nicole lose and Halle win or Russell lose and Denzel win.
And now that I've had time to kinda get used to it, I'm glad Halle won because I really do adore her. But I just love Nicole! And I agree with you Sarah-B about Russell being a Boofhead(cute word) and that Monsters Ball was more personal and what not. I guess there was more "acting" in it. But I just loved Moulin Rouge and thought Nicole was just great. I think one reason that Russell didn't win was because of his Boofheadishness. That whole thing with him threatening that guy had the excellent timing of occuring right when the oscar voting ballots were sent out. I guess bad press really does hurt.
And I'm also happy that Jennifer Connelly won because I loved her since the Labyrinth. Also I'm not surprised that LOTR's didn't win. I loved the movie but it I think it was pretty clear that a Beautiful Mind was going to win. And like Eric said look at the bright side, it still has two more chances!

------------------
"But with Tara, I just know she likes Willow, and she already has one of those" – "Family"

"Honey, in case you didn’t hear me the first six-thousand times, no more teleportation spells." – "Crush"

Willow: "I figured, life goes by so fast, if you don’t write stuff down it just gets…lost."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:29 am 
Shellybean I hate to tell you but you are not the last time zone anywhere to get the Oscars...we are. They will be starting in just a few minutes.

Of course being the spoiler ho I am as soon as I got home I logged on and went str8 to oscars.com. I just couldn't wait.

I am happy with all the results except for best pic and best director. Call me biased.

------------------
Paula
--------
May the Amber Force be with you.
Keeper of my own insanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:30 am 
Love Halle, Love Denzel, Hate Russell Crowe. I loved Halle's excitement 74 years is a long time to wait for a black woman to win Best Actress. More power to her and Denzel well, he's one of the most delicious men ever. However, Mr. Potier is the man!!
I'm disapponited A Beautiful Mind won BP. The movie is not even completely accurate to John Nashs' life. Last year when The Hurricane didn't win that is the reason the Academy gave for Hurr. not winning BP. While, I think its good that Mind didn't address Nashs' bisexuality in the movie and the affairs he had with men, so people won't equate being gay with being short a can in a six pack; I think that makes the movie inaccurate and therefore didn't deserve the Oscar nod. The Academy set the rules of the game and they should have played by them.

------------------
Sugarloaf
"Due to the recent presidential elections, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:33 am 
"And now that I've had time to kinda get used to it, I'm glad Halle won because I really do adore her. But I just love Nicole!"

I was kinda pulling for Nicole too, but especially after seeing Halle's reaction to winning...she was *so* emotional, so truly touched. I was very happy she won.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:48 am 
I agree about A Beautiful Mind. I enjoyed the movie, but it didn't have that "best movie" feeling for me. LotR and Moulin Rouge both do. The Academy is a strange bunch. I always enjoy watching the Oscars though. Can't help it!
Halle Berry did ramble on a bit, but it was her moment and she was SO happy. I'm partial to the short and sweet speeches myself, but hey. I'd ramble on too if I won. Bizarre thought.
I'm glad I got to see Nicole win the Golden Globe for Moulin Rouge. And Baz Luhrman too. That movie is just wonderful.

I have to get in how pleased I am that Jim Broadbent won. I'd have liked to have seen Tom Wilkinson win for In The Bedroom... He was a bright light in a very dismal movie.
That's enough of my opinionated rambling. heehee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:55 am 
I'm really happy that Denzel Washington finally won the Best Actor. He should have won it before with his performance in The Hurricane.

And I agree, LOTR should have won the best picture.

------------------
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul... - Pablo Neruda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:04 am 
I was beyond thrilled to see Halle Berry hold that Oscar and acknowledge that the moment was "bigger" than just her winning the award that night. The sheer rawness of her speech was so moving. And I say this as a HUGE fan of Moulin Rouge and Nicole Kidman. I haven't seen Monster's Ball but my friends who have raved about her performance and followed it always with, "Shame she won't win the Oscar." We all shrieked when her name was called. And then to have that followed by Denzel was just momentous.

Re: Bisexuality and "A Beautiful Mind"

I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind. Nor do I like Russell Crowe. But while this board has been buzzing over issues of lgbt representation on TV/film, and the importance of presenting "positive" images, I have to admit that I have come to truly dislike the binary of good images/bad images that we all seem to speak from. (Please note: I am not speaking here of recent BUFFY spoilers).

As a writer/artist and a viewer/reader, I am much more invested and interested in promoting complex representations of queers and POCs and women. Representations that depict and make room for the contradictions and complexities inherent in a human being's life and character. The positive/negative framework, in this respect, is terribly limiting. And I am really troubled by your post, Genea, which doesn't take into account the reality that there are mentally ill people who are lesbian, gay, bi, trans.

There are lgbt people with mental illnesses who probably wouldn't appreciate hearing themselves referred to as "one can short of a six pack" or hearing that it's a good thing to erase any mention or trace of queerness from a mentally ill character on film because this hurts "gay people."

There are always homophobic people who will try to say that gayness is about mental illness. Do we really want to create art from such a defensive and narrow vision? Aren't lgbt people with mental illnesses as deserving of representations of their lives onscreen?

EDITED TO ADD:

And I thought Whoopi did a great job as host but was so offended by how she chose to introduce "A Beautiful Mind." What a juvenile and disrespectful portrayal of schizophrenia.

[This message has been edited by judy (edited March 25, 2002).]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:47 am 
quote:

There are lgbt people with mental illnesses who probably wouldn't appreciate hearing themselves referred to as "one can short of a six pack" or hearing that it's a good thing to erase any mention or trace of queerness from a mentally ill character on film because this hurts "gay people."

EDITED TO ADD:

And I thought Whoopi did a great job as host but was so offended by how she chose to introduce "A Beautiful Mind." What a juvenile and disrespectful portrayal of schizophrenia.

[This message has been edited by judy (edited March 25, 2002).][/b]

Whoops, my reply went all wonky the first time so i will repost it.

Thank you Judy for mentioning this. I am in tears right now. That introduction Whoopie made tonight was hurtful and irresponsible. Then when i saw a poster on the board make that comment about being "one beer can short..." i just broke down, i don't think they meant to hurt anyone with their comment but I can't help but take this kind of thing personally. Yes, there are queers out there with mental illnesses. Hi, there's one right here and the idea that people think i am a negative representative of the queer community? that really hurts.

Another thing that's bothering me are these comments about Halle Berry and Denzel Washington only willing because the Academy was trying to "make a statement". Is it really that hard to believe that two black actors could possibly deserve to win in the same year?

[This message has been edited by EvilAnya (edited March 25, 2002).]quote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:53 am 
Ok the oscars JUST ended. Its still rolling the credits and my god was that thing long. But I seemed to enjoy this years show better than the other years. It just seemed funnier.
As for Halle Barry, her speech was so great. She really is an excellent actress and did deserve to win. But I still love Nicole! The past two best actress speeches were just so great, heartfelt and real. I read all of your reactions to her speech but never thought that I myself would cry, but of course I did. It was a very moving night.
Anyway, I'm also really glad that Denzel won but I think acting and role wise that Russell should have won. His acting in A Beautiful Mind was just incredible. As a person I don't like him and think that he's a complete jack ass, but he is an awesome actor. I also thought that Julia Roberts was so adorable the way she was hanging onto Denzel while they were walking off the stage. I just love her.

------------------