The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: New People, The FAQ, please read!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:49 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Kieli:
Of course it can get tiring that people repeat the same things over again. But shit happens is possibly my point. *shrug*
...If people get rude or snarky, then I feel that is inappropriate and uncalled for, even if the person has not read the FAQs. But that is just MHO.

Having sat though thousands of spoiler board posts over the last week I can say it gets very very very tiring so much so that an anger builds up inside and sometimes I can't help but get snarky.

I read the posts just so I don't look like an idiot(sometimes that didn't even help).
It's not like I read each post cause I actually care what the others on this board think or anything.

------------------
"One often contradicts an opinion when it is really only the tone in which it has been presented that is unsympathetic."
-Nietzsche
quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 3:58 pm 
Right there with ya, Epicurus and Autumn. You can lead the Newbies to the FAQ, but you can't make them read.

The Spoiler threads have been like an old Abbott & Costello routine...Except without the funny.

"Who's on first?"

"I don't know."

"Third base."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:09 pm 
xita, you rock! This was a great refresher.

Not-such-a-newbie, but I have a question. Uh, what's a troll? And if anyone can answer this without spoiling me, that would be great, as I am very happily relaxing on the unspoiled island.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:14 pm 
Perhaps the whole discussion they are having over there right now, and I admit, I've thrown so ideas out there also, could fit in a ‘Spoilery Speculation Thread’. That would leave the General Season 6 Spoiler Thread specifically for direct spoiler related discussions?
I have some specs but there’s really no place to post them as they a spoilery.
Just trying to be helpful, not bossy or anything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:18 pm 
The nature of the spoilers we've received lately is what's making everyone go berserk. It's brought all the lurkers and newbies out of the woodwork and they're all freaking out. The best thing to do may be just to ride it out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:27 pm 
The FAQ is great, and question 19 is very welcome. I have a couple of suggestions, too. First, it might be a good idea to break up some of the big paragraphs, particularly in question 1 and 6, as it would make it a bit easier to read.

Second, am I wrong that adding something about talking about Aly or Amber's personal lives or personal motives would be good, too?

I'm never keen on the 'baptism of fire' style of newbie initiation, so as much as can be said in the FAQ, the better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:30 pm 
Epicurus, this is bothering me, too. I know the mods have stepped in before to tone down the speculation, so I worry that I'm crossing a line with the spec I've been doing. But, you're right, it's spoilery and not appropriate for any other thread. But, too much speculation isn't appropriate for the spoiler thread, either. It can easily grow to be as annoying as the WhateverBus and the recent Spike debate, for people who are there to read about and discuss spoilers, not five million "what if" scenarios.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:37 pm 
I have said speculation is fine and welcome in that thread, just don't post the same theory over and over again is all.

Imagine 2 threads, imagine the repetition we would find. I mean what is discussion of a spoiler and what is speculation?

Again, we try to contain the spoilers as much as we can. Our hope is that it dies down. It is why in the last couple of days, i have come down stronger in that thread because the leniancy showed earlier will not be shown anymore.

Registration, is another issue that we consider. I like the open environment. And registration doesn't seem to require a valid email so it really isn't that difficulut to register and post. Besides it has often been the case a registered troll makes their way to the board.

Under your spell, some of those suggestions are good, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:46 pm 
Imagine 2 threads, imagine the repetition we would find. I mean what is discussion of a spoiler and what is speculation?

True, that didn't even occur to me.

I guess patience will just come in handy the next few days.

------------------
"One often contradicts an opinion when it is really only the tone in which it has been presented that is unsympathetic."
-Nietzsche

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:23 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by maudmac:

Another thing that might help is a request to actually read the posts in a thread before posting.

It kinda grates my cheese a little when someone says, "I didn't have time to read all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating anything, but..." (And, wouldn't you know, 80% of the time, they are repeating but adding nothing new.) My view is, if you've got time to post your own thoughts (which you'll no doubt expect everyone to read), you've got time to read everyone else's.

See … this is why I am a confirmed lurker. I firmly believe that the 1st responsibility of a poster is to read previous posts and know what the frilly heck everybody has been talking about before I open my mouth (and then insert my foot).

And around here - well it can take a while! (Spoiler whore here so guess where I lurk?) But read I do. And read… and read… and read! And enjoy! Thanks for a great board!

*relurks*

quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 5:46 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Epicurus:
It's not like I read each post cause I actually care what the others on this board think or anything.

And what? You're assuming that I don't care? If so, then you'd be dead wrong. I just haven't the time to spare. Plain and simple. So you'll excuse me if your snarkiness doesn't bother me *starting to get a little annoyed herself* but I wish I had the time to devote to several hundred posts. It would be nice to learn how people think. But alas that is not an option for me. Now I'm going to shut up now before I say something not particularly nice. Xita has given us a very informative post and I'll not ruin it. I have an opinion; I don't expect people to agree with me but I don't particularly like being insulted either. Attitude is not high on my list of things to impress people with.
I'm heading back to lurkdom with some other of the nice people.

------------------
"Sometimes, we just can't make it on our own. We all need someone to love us, to help remind us that there's good in the world, to keep us from going crazy."

Willow from Dacia's The Dreamer Awakesquote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:15 pm 
Actually Kieli that was not the intent of my comment at all. Seeing as it was below a reply that was directed at you, I can see where you might think I was implying such.
The thing with sarcasm is that it can be seen to have many different underlying implications. My emphasis being the word “actually” and not the entire sentence. It was in direct correlation to my ‘idiot’ comment which preceded it.
Though I know I will not convince you other wise, I did not aim it at you.

EDITED TO ADD:
Having just read your post again I'm glad you believe in the "Eye for an Eye" concept. Implying what with comments on the fact that I do indeed have time to read hundreds of post.
Ya know, whatever. Think what you want.

[This message has been edited by Epicurus (edited March 17, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:21 pm 

Damn text, and it's inability to convey the expression of human speech.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:23 pm 
None of these rules are directed at anyone in particular. In fact, it say New People read, so in fact is directed at them and no one in particular should take offense at them, even newbies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 6:48 pm 
Yes Ryath, well put.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:13 pm 
Ok folks, I am a newbie, a newbie who messed things up big time in their first day, in fact I feel more than a bit embarrased by the fact that my reg tag reads "dolls eye crystal" when I should be a step lower,(all due to the not quite crash when the spoiler thread grew by the min.), I have had posts edited for spelling, and have been guilty of double posting. My point is, I read the FAQ's when I started out and they left me going huh?????
As a representive of all the new Kittens this week let me say THANK YOU. I finnally get it. The new FAQ's are much clearer, granted I still don't completly understand the quoting from two differant posts, but I will get it eventually. In the meantime, thank you all for being kind to me and all the other new Kittens.

Edited to add: Xita, yes I know you do not edit for spelling, I however du try to edit myself
------------------
Ad astea per asta

[This message has been edited by Karzia (edited March 17, 2002).]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:18 pm 
To clear things up, we do not edit for spelling. But I am glad these are clearer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:34 pm 
Well, I think even us regulars can use a reminder now and again.

I've made a couple posts lately that make me go, 'shoot, that came out wrong'. I think I may have become a bit cocky with my big posting level and sense of familiarity; I, too, should think before I post and make sure I'm expressing what I really am trying to say.

Thanks for the revisions, xita, very helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:45 pm 
My faults lie in the fact that I feel I am expressing myself okay until someone reads it wrong and then I feel like an ass as I go back and realize that it could look as if it was something it is not.

Then I remember that I can't please everyone and try not to let it bother me too much.

------------------
The Paradox of Fiction
http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/f/fict-par.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:55 pm 

You're not alone Epicurus.

Happens to me ALL the time!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 9:03 pm 
Added the question about the private lives and broke things up a bit, though 6 was already broken up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:45 pm 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixie:
Not-such-a-newbie, but I have a question. Uh, what's a troll? And if anyone can answer this without spoiling me, that would be great, as I am very happily relaxing on the unspoiled island.

In case you couldn’t tell from some of the posts that appear in this thread, a troll is usually an outsider who comes in to tell us that we should ‘get over’ the troublesome spoilers we might be hearing, or goads us into endless debates about non-relevant topics, or bombards us with old spoilers that have already been posted in the spoiler thread, or just shows a general lack of regard for our love of Willow and Tara.

I think that about covers it. And I did it without spoiling you.

quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 10:48 pm 
Okay...wow. I am new and after reading all that came before me, I'm feeling a little nervous about posting anything at all. I'm really good at tasting my toes and I'm very much semi-computer-illiterate. I am a lightable socket though, so please, have patience.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:00 pm 
Can I just say that I've been here longer than practically anyone else on the board. However, I tend to think that longevity doesn't necessarily indicate wise posting. It just means you've been around for a while.

I think it would do everyone good to review the FAQ's once more, with feeling. And remember children, if you can't play properly, then take your bike out of the playground.

------------------
You know I've been through hell...Joss can't you see, there'll be nothing left of me. You made me believe...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 11:08 pm 
Mellowstrung, no worries, we have all been newbies, well all but me, I knew how to quote from day one of course, I never ever put my foot into any part of my body. Some of the things in the FAQ may seem rather obvious, but it's much needed, at least now no one can say "oh I had no idea that topic has been discussed to death" or whatnot, or at least now we can just point to the FAQ and move on.

Oh and I have been neglecting my duties: "what Epicurus said".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 12:24 am 
I am also a newbie kitten, and I appreciate any and all explanation of rules- the new faqs is really helpful. I love this community so much already, and the positive vibes. It's nice to be a part of something where respect of fellow human beings is a priority. Thank you for all the patience for those of us who are new, and the welcoming spirit. Ok, so I am BIG suck-up. But it's still all true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:01 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Scout:
In case you couldn’t tell from some of the posts that appear in this thread, a troll is usually an outsider who comes in to tell us that we should ‘get over’ the troublesome spoilers we might be hearing, or goads us into endless debates about non-relevant topics, or bombards us with old spoilers that have already been posted in the spoiler thread, or just shows a general lack of regard for our love of Willow and Tara.

I think that about covers it. And I did it without spoiling you.

Thanks Scout! I had gotten that kind of sense but I wasn't sure. And then I had this image in my head of wiccachica's troll from "The Late Shift". Trolls certainly sound rude and obnoxious. *Pixie lobs some leftover fish poo from the unspoiled thread over to the spoiled thread. This fish poo has been specially treated to seek out trolls so they can be identified by their stench and booted out.*
quote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:31 am 
Well, judging from the spoiler thread it looks like this needs a bump already. *sigh*
I did have something brilliant to add to the FAQ but I forgot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 11:42 am 

Yeah, I think just to avoid anything going over badly, I'm going to just camp and lurk the spoiler threads until something completely different comes to light. Then i'll put my two cents in, should I have them. That'll avoid any..uhm..uncomfortableness.

It's very interesting..this is the first time I've really been a member of a board with such a HUGE membership, and such active posting. The rules really are necessary in a case like this. It's just a huge switch from what I suppose a lot of us are used to, coming over from smaller and less active boards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 5:19 pm 
Thanks xita for taking the time to revise the FAQ and amen to the addition of numbers 19 and 21.

Oh and any new kittens a good way to get along on the kitten board is to try and IM some of the kitties. A lot of us have our IM names and email addresses in our profiles and don't mind talking about Willow and Tara at all I think there was even a thread about it at one time. I know talking to other kitties helps a lot and can make you really get a feel a part of the community.
------------------
Beep, beep

[This message has been edited by Puff (edited March 18, 2002).]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next