The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interview with Emma Caulfield in Boston Herald
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:00 am 
I havent really got a chance to read it, but it talked a little about Emma C acting career and a mention of the BSD rumours. I will try to put some more in later..

(And Len, I just happened to see the article mentioned on the cover of the Herald in line at rebeccasa, so no jokes ok!)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:26 am 
Here's the interview:

Taming her inner demons: Outspoken `Buffy' star Emma Caulfield makes peace with acting profession

by Amy Amatangelo
Monday, March 4, 2002

Actors toil for years in the cutthroat film and television industry hoping for their big break. Most would be thrilled to land a role as a series regular on a hit television show.

But not Emma Caulfield, who plays the loopy former demon Anya on UPN's ``Buffy the Vampire Slayer'' (Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on WSBK, Ch. 38). ``I've behaved like an unappreciative, almost disgruntled brat,'' said Caulfield, describing her adversarial approach to the industry.

``Not to be vulgar, but I've (peed) on this business. So many people would kill to be in the position I'm in. I haven't deserved what I've gotten,'' Caulfield said in a recent phone interview.

Caulfield's charmingly frank talk is reminiscent of the character she plays. Anya's all id, constantly saying exactly what's on her mind. This season, when times have been particularly dark in Sunnydale, Anya's hysterical outbursts have brought much humor to the series.

The 28-year-old actress had left the business after her stint as Brandon's girlfriend, Susan, during the sixth season of ``Beverly Hills, 90210.'' When she first guest-starred on ``Buffy'' in 1998, it was merely to ``make some quick cash and be on a show that I like.''

But her appearance as a vengeance demon sent to help Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) get over a broken heart quickly became an ongoing gig. Caulfield nailed the complex and endearing character and was established as a series regular in 2000.

Caulfield continued to struggle with her success. The industry, she felt, was not ``feeding her soul.'' Recently, while in Australia shooting a film for Revolution Studios, she had what she described as an ``epiphany.'' ``I had this awakening there of what I'm supposed to do. I made peace with the fact that this business is not what I'm supposed to do. It's really a stepping stone for other projects,'' she said.

The owner of two cats, Caulfield wants to ``effect great change for the animals of the world,'' she said. ``I'm very much at peace. I'm on a great show, playing a great character, surrounded by great people. I'm so blessed.''

But any fan of this critically acclaimed cult favorite knows that no one is ever safe in Sunnydale. Since the show's inception in 1997, beloved characters have come and gone - some via a casket and some in less sinister ways.

``Joss Whedon (series creator and executive producer) makes you invaluable and then he'll kill you. I told him, just give me a couple months warning so I don't buy a new house or plan a big trip.''

Rumors have been circulating for months that another prominent character will die this season. If Caulfield knows, she's not talking. What she would say is that tomorrow's episode, which focuses on the wedding of Anya and her beloved mortal, Xander (Nicholas Brendon), is full of surprises. ``It's the catalyst for a very interesting journey for Anya,'' Caulfield said.

This sixth season of the slayer - the first on UPN - has been different for viewers. There's no ``Big Bad,'' a term fans use to describe the season-long enemy who has defined each of the five previous seasons. Instead, the characters have wrestled with inner demons. ``I think (the series) has to evolve. I personally think the show has never been better,'' Caulfield said. ``By the end of the season, fans won't be disappointed. I think people will be pleased.''

What she and other cast members aren't pleased about is how the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences continually snubs ``Buffy.'' ``It's probably not `PC' for me to say, but we really do get angry about it,'' Caulfield said about the show's lack of Emmy nominations.

``Joss Whedon worked tremendously to make the show as solid as it is. It would be really fun to get all dressed up and go to the awards,'' she said. ``But now we can bitch and moan about the establishment.''

An establishment she's a part of in spite of herself.

[This message has been edited by Blixxt (edited March 04, 2002).]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:34 am 
Thanks!
If Amber gave an interview like this with the BSD rumours around I would just crap..
not saying anything, just speculating..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:07 pm 
Thanks! I like her frank way of talking. It's about time the writers offered a decent storyline for Anya really. She's so underused.

------------------
Sweetie...I'm a fag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:10 pm 
Thanks also for this interview. Emma seems likes a well rounded, intelligent person, and I too believe she deserves a meaty storyline.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:26 pm 
Okay, that's it, I officially love Emma Caulfield. She's always so honest in interviews and I find it interesting that she has been repeatedly saying lately that she feels there's more to her life than the entertainment industry. However, she is a very good actor who has only recently been given a chance to show what she can do (I get the feeling she has even surprised herself by her ability). I hope she keeps acting. Oh, and I love that she's such an unabashed animal lover. No wonder she and Alyson reportedly get along so well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:04 am 
quote:
Originally posted by Blixxt:
Here's the interview:

``Joss Whedon (series creator and executive producer) makes you invaluable and then he'll kill you. I told him, just give me a couple months warning so I don't buy a new house or plan a big trip.''

Ok, i also love Anya very much, she has proven herself a very valuable member. But this just is a little freaky.

Just my thought right now. I'm not wanting to start the 'Rumor Mill' flying again. Konwing that JW is a master of making the fans second guess each other.

------------------

IM:WillowsBandCamp-TaraMaclay69
Guardian of Vampire Tara
Keeper of Tara's 'Lil Pile 'O Crackers'

--
Look, I realize that every slayer comes with a expiration mark stamped on the package.. But I want mine to be a long time from now.. Like a Cheeto.
---
quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:54 am 
I'm glad she's come to realize just how lucky she is to be in a position that, as she says, so many people would kill to be in. However, every time I read a statement like the one about her "epiphany" it makes me wonder which planet this person lives on.
quote:

The owner of two cats, Caulfield wants to "effect great change for the animals of the world,'' she said.

I wonder what Anya would say to that.

Now I love cats, too; I have one myself. And I love horses and dogs and all manner of furry critters.
BUT
while it might be "speciesist" of me, I can't help wishing that human suffering were more of a priority. I kind of identify with humans since I am one. Not that I think we should be insensitive to the suffering of animals of all kinds, but I've lived in countries where many of the people would feel very grateful for a chance to eat as well as our pets do.

In this morning's Boston Globe there's a piece by Emmylou Harris about the campaign to get the US to ratify the international treaty banning land mines. I wish EC had had an epiphany that moved her to get involved with something like that.
quote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:21 am 
Well, everyone's got to have their niche.

I like Emma. I like it how some people on this show come across as being exactly the same as their characters (Nick) and others are totally different - like Aly, Amber and Emma. It was really funny the first time I read an interview with her and she was talking about the Freudian concept of the superego and the play-off between irony and sincerity in Buffy. I know we shouldn't associate actresses with their characters, but - sorry - my immediate gut reaction was "That's Anya?"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:26 am 
Thanks for typing up the article, Emma is obviously more like Anya than I thought I like it though.

------------------
Beep, beep