The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fixing Old Fics Request Thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:49 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 1
WannaFriendsBe wrote:
Hi,

Please I'd really appreciate it if my fic Getting Rid of Wonky Willow could be fixed.

Regards
WFB

Getting Rid of Wonky Willow has been fixed.. in the hope that it will be updated

edit to add:

Finding You by Sleek is fixed

(This one has a lot of tiny chapters so if any kittens (or the author) run across one that got missed send me a PM with a direct link to the post.)

Last edited by Kajun on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:29 am 
12. Recently Gay

I got a hankerin' for W/T Season 3 Y'all and it's still fubarred - I know you guys are busy, but how about a round of fic fixin' in the near furture :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:47 am 
3. Flaming O

Paint the Sky wrote:
I got a hankerin' for W/T Season 3 Y'all and it's still fubarred - I know you guys are busy, but how about a round of fic fixin' in the near furture

Paths Diverged/Divulged needs some fixin' too. That's an excellent sequel to Season 3 Y'all.

Last edited by PolarBear on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:48 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

PolarBear wrote:
Paint the Sky wrote:
I got a hankerin' for W/T Season 3 Y'all and it's still fubarred - I know you guys are busy, but how about a round of fic fixin' in the near furture

Paths Diverged/Divulged needs some fixin' too. That's an excellent sequel to Season 3 Y'all.

Both these fics can be read on THE OLD KITTEN BOARD. Here are the links:

W-T Season 3 Y'all by JustSkipIt

Paths Diverged/Divulged Sequel to above by JustSkipIt

Last edited by Kajun on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Kajun wrote:
Getting Rid of Wonky Willow has been fixed.. in the hope that it will be updated

Many thanks Kajun! I'll hopefully update it some day.

Regards
WFB

Last edited by WannaFriendsBe on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:03 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hi Kajun et al,

Thanks again for all you guys are doing to fix the coding issues.....

*However I just noticed that after the latest downtime fix --- some parts of my fic are missing.

As far as I can tell - it's the 'italicized thoughts' of the characters that are missing.

At the beginning of the earlier chapters - I always used to have something like the following:-

Thoughts are in italics

But now all I see is:-

Thoughts

AND in the body of the fic itself, wherever there should be lines of whatever character's thoughts typed out in italics - it is just blank.

So it seems, for whatever reason, any words in italics to do with thoughts have disappeared!

- And the sad thing for me is - even I don't know exactly what those missing thoughts are... - my original word document of my fic and the back ups seem to have a problem and i may not be able to retrieve them.

So please help! - I hope you have the full contents of my original thread posts and reader feedbacks safe somewhere - such that hopefully my complete work can be displayed.
(it was nice to see that the coding within the feedback I'd received had also been now been mostly fixed - though, as I think someone mentioned earlier, the 'signatures' have some issues - I notice in my fic thread that some font sizes in mostly signatures are distorted - and there are a few paragraphing spacing/distortion issues in the fic/feedbacks - However, I consider these minor details that I can live with, different from the more major problem of missing text which is my primary reason for posting).

Once the major problem is hopefully sorted - I sure as heck will be copying and saving/backing up the html pages of my fic from the kitten board - just in case I'm indeed unable to sort out the issues with my original word documents of the fic.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
WFB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:00 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 444
Hi WFB
I'm sorry I have not made the most recent fix yet. Its a very quick one but I have not have time to finish testing.
Tonight I will have a few minutes.
The reason I mention this is because I wanted to assure you that *nothing* has been lost or destroyed in this fix. Its all there, just displayed a little differently so please do not worry!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:23 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

WannaFriendsBe wrote:
Hi Kajun et al,

Thanks again for all you guys are doing to fix the coding issues.....

*However I just noticed that after the latest downtime fix --- some parts of my fic are missing.

As far as I can tell - it's the 'italicized thoughts' of the characters that are missing.

At the beginning of the earlier chapters - I always used to have something like the following:-

Thoughts are in italics

But now all I see is:-

Thoughts

AND in the body of the fic itself, wherever there should be lines of whatever character's thoughts typed out in italics - it is just blank.

So it seems, for whatever reason, any words in italics to do with thoughts have disappeared!

- And the sad thing for me is - even I don't know exactly what those missing thoughts are... - my original word document of my fic and the back ups seem to have a problem and i may not be able to retrieve them.

So please help! - I hope you have the full contents of my original thread posts and reader feedbacks safe somewhere - such that hopefully my complete work can be displayed.
(it was nice to see that the coding within the feedback I'd received had also been now been mostly fixed - though, as I think someone mentioned earlier, the 'signatures' have some issues - I notice in my fic thread that some font sizes in mostly signatures are distorted - and there are a few paragraphing spacing/distortion issues in the fic/feedbacks - However, I consider these minor details that I can live with, different from the more major problem of missing text which is my primary reason for posting).

Once the major problem is hopefully sorted - I sure as heck will be copying and saving/backing up the html pages of my fic from the kitten board - just in case I'm indeed unable to sort out the issues with my original word documents of the fic.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards
WFB

There are some italics in your fic. I have no way of knowing what, if anything, is missing without an original file. Unfortunately, I can’t find it on the old board. As stated above, drlloyd is working on a few issues and if that doesn’t clear it up, the only thing I can tell you is to send me a word file of your story with all the proper formatting and I will edit your story. I didn't read it while converting so I didn't notice if it was already like that. Many fics got cut off during the transfer from Novogate to this forum back in 2005. The ones we became aware of were fixed a long while back.

Regarding the font sizes in signatures from the old posts before April 2005: It may not be possible to change any of that. Right now, there is a bigger issue regarding active signatures messing up old and new posts. We may just have to live with a few odd spacing issues and such in the old posts. The important thing is that the html is gone so everyone can easily read every post on the board now.

In the meantime, you should see what you can do about finding your original file. Perhaps there is a kitten around that has it stored on their computer? If so, they can send it to you and, if the script doesn't fix the problem, pass the new file along to me.

Last edited by Kajun on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:36 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hi drlloyd11,
Thanks for the speedy reply. - I'll indeed try not to worry as I'm reassured by what you've said & I'm looking forward to everything being sorted once you're done with all the final fixes. I've got my fingers crossed that all goes well. Thanks again for all your efforts which are much appreciated.

Hi Kajun,
You're right that there are some italics in my fic - however as I said, the prompt at the start of some chapters stating that thoughts are italicized.... & the thoughts of the characters(mostly Will & Tara) within the fic itself - are blanked.

But - based on what drlloyd11 said above it'll hopefully be fixed soon and I feel reassured.

Also - I'm quite sure that nothing was missing before - because when you'd previously told me that my fic had been fixed(i.e. prior to what drlloyd11 is currently working on) I had read through everything & it was all there. - So fingers crossed it'll be fixed soon by drlloyd11 - especially because I really don't know if I'll be able to retrieve the original word files of my fic.
- If any kitten out there ever stored my fic please kindly contact me here.

As for the spacing/font issues, as I said I'm not too bothered by those & as you say that is something we can live with - I know I can.

Thanks again Kajun - I appreciate your effort and speedy reply.

Regards
WFB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

WannaFriendsBe wrote:
Hi Kajun,
You're right that there are some italics in my fic - however as I said, the prompt at the start of some chapters stating that thoughts are italicized.... & the thoughts of the characters(mostly Will & Tara) within the fic itself - are blanked.

But - based on what drlloyd11 said above it'll hopefully be fixed soon and I feel reassured.

Also - I'm quite sure that nothing was missing before - because when you'd previously told me that my fic had been fixed(i.e. prior to what drlloyd11 is currently working on) I had read through everything & it was all there. - So fingers crossed it'll be fixed soon by drlloyd11 - especially because I really don't know if I'll be able to retrieve the original word files of my fic.
- If any kitten out there ever stored my fic please kindly contact me here.

As for the spacing/font issues, as I said I'm not too bothered by those & as you say that is something we can live with - I know I can.

Thanks again Kajun - I appreciate your effort and speedy reply.

Regards
WFB

Important question: Did you use text between these brackets for italics? I've discovered that issue in another fic and need to know if that is the cause of your text disappearing as well. Please let me know soon!

Also, thank you so much for checking your fic and asking about problems you noticed. Otherwise, I might not have realized there was a problem with missing text posted with italics in other fics as well.. before it was too late. We need more members, like you, to speak up when they see something that is “wonky”!!

Last edited by Kajun on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:08 pm 
3. Flaming O

Kajun wrote:
Important question: Did you use text between these brackets for italics? I've discovered that issue in another fic and need to know if that is the cause of your text disappearing as well. Please let me know soon!

Also, thank you so much for checking your fic and asking about problems you noticed. Otherwise, I might not have realized there was a problem with missing text posted with italics in other fics as well.. before it was too late. We need more members, like you, to speak up when they see something that is “wonky”!!

Hi Kajun,

I don't think I used brackets to enclose any of my characters' thoughts in the body of the fic itself - but there's I'd say a 50% chance that I might have used them for the little prompt at the beginning of some chapters notifying that thoughts where in italics.
(drlloyd11 said that I should not worry because the original of my fic is intact & all texts will appear once the final fixes have been carried out - so could hopefully be able to answer the question for you, for sure?)

Also, it's you guys that deserve all the thanks for the work you're putting into making our fics all pretty again as per original !

Btw - nice pun, with your distinct use of the word "wonky" like in the title of my fic

Regards
WFB