The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kittenboard's search engine: A Suggestion
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 pm 
3. Flaming O

To: kittenboard moderator

While current search engine seems to be adequate, perhaps it will be better if an advanced search feature is added in the future.

a design example of a forum site's search engine: http://forums.ffshrine.org/search.php [ffshrine forum]

I find it helpful to narrow down my keywords into specific categories. It saves time and headaches.

Regards,
ein

Post subject: Re: Kittenboard's search engine: A Suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:13 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

A further suggestion, or maybe it's a request, or perhaps just an inquiry....

Is there way to search for (or just sort on) all the fics by a given author? Can't tell how many times I've gone looking for all the fics by one author, entered the author's name in the search engine, and been flooded with every POSTING by that person. Makes it really hard to try to follow an author's development over the years (which is one of my favorite ways to explore KB).

Please advise, dear kitttens....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:38 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

The WTTP (Willow/Tara Tagging Project) allows you to search stories by tags and authors. However, because it is not often used (as far as I know), the data behind it is sorely out of date. If more people used it and updated it, it could be a more useful tool.

If you want a list of completed stories by author, the WTFA will get you most of the way there. However, I don't archive works in progress except for rare cases.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:53 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Let me look into this next month, I took down the original search at the request of my host, but I think, things have calmed down. I will look at what can be done.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:03 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Many thanks, both. I've looked at the Tagging Project, and that approach offers a lot of possibilities, even given the work involved in updating and maintaininbg. But I'm also eager to see what you already have (had) in place through the normal search function.

:peace
Pengy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:42 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
PenguinMaxx wrote:
A further suggestion, or maybe it's a request, or perhaps just an inquiry....

Is there way to search for (or just sort on) all the fics by a given author? Can't tell how many times I've gone looking for all the fics by one author, entered the author's name in the search engine, and been flooded with every POSTING by that person. Makes it really hard to try to follow an author's development over the years (which is one of my favorite ways to explore KB).

Please advise, dear kitttens....

I have replaced the search function, with the original search function. You should be able to do that now. I am not sure if older posts that were converted from ezboard will pop up there, but certainly anything since then.

I am also considering overhauling the archives and in the process of finding another moderator to help with that. So, be on the look out for that. It's a lot of work

Also, anyone else, let me know if the new search function isn't enough. I can see what I can do.

I am considering upgrading to phpbb 3, but it's going to be difficult we have a large database. I have to do it offline. I have tried online and it times out. It's all very scary so I may not do it. We'll see.

Last edited by xita on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:15 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 444
I built a local database for my "history" using a spider (using the yuku board,netherealms, novogate and wayback)to get the data and trying to filter out the "anonymous" where the person can be identified.
Is still a WIP, but I can do some cool things with it, like see how many unique posters were there in on July 4 2007 (174) vs Xmas day in 2005 (98).

Ok, if you love numbers it is.