The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: One-on-One Authors / Beta Readers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:40 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
Hey dudes! I've got a fic over on Pens ('Alternatives') which seemes to be cursed. I've lost two beta readers already. Does anyone fancy braving the curse to find the treasure it guards? (Metaphorical treasure, I'm afraid!)

Mostly I'm okay with spelling, grammar, etc (my mother was a teacher with an English degree, so I learned to spell pretty early lol) but I'd like someone to help with the shape and form of the writing. I sometimes can't find a way to write what I need to without it sounding clunky and awkward. The story itself is very powerful (half the time I'm not sure if I'm writing it or the other way around) but I can't find the style to do it justice. Anyone think they can help?

Please?

Ruth

Edited coz' I'm dumb: If you're interesting you can send me a message on this site or email me at rmmik@hotmail.com (please put something in the subject line about the fic or I'll bin it by accident. Cheers.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:13 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Hi....I'm writerfreak. (obviously) I started reading fic like a year and a few months ago, and lurked on this board reading a few fics for a few months. Then finally joined around the end of last year and I've just been offering feedback. I've now decided to venture out on a new limb and try my hand at my own small fic. I just need a beta. I'm not really sure that my spelling is all that bad or my grammar. I'm not generally picky about things like that so I probably need someone who is. If anyone would be interested you could PM me or email me at writerfreakchick@aol.com. Any help is greatly appreciated and you might get cookies lol.

writerfreak

Soul

Post subject: Beta(s) Needed For
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:10 am 
3. Flaming O

No longer looking for betas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:41 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey there!

I'm attempting to write my first long fic (I generally write one-shots) and I realized I need some help, so here I am.

I need a Beta, most importantly, to help me with my grammar problems. English is not my first language, so I predictably have some problems with my wording and spelling. I'm also unsure of my usage of verb tenses and prepositions, so I need someone to check on that, see if it all makes sense and all.

Secondarily, I need a sounding board for my ideas. I have a general idea of what I want to write, but I think it's good to have a second opinion. I'm writing an AU of sorts, and I plan on changing some of the Buffyverse so I'd like someone to make sure it's all believable. I really would hate to fall into a Mary Sue type, but I'm afraid of doing just that. I may need a swift kick in the butt. :blush

My story will be mainly focused on character development and romance :wtkiss, but I may later on add some action and I don't think I'm too good with that part. I don't want a fighting scene to come off sounding right out of a Xena episode (not that I don't like Xena, but it just doesn't fit in this context).

I think that's it. Anyone up for the job?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hi,

I've been lurking a lot lately but I have posted on the board in the past. I've decided to have a go at writing some fic. I already have a full outline and there will be an end to the fic. It will mostly follow cannon with some important alterations of course - more Willow/Tara centric and of course Tara is still around. I need a beta who can work with me for characterization and provide "thesaurus" help. My spelling isn't great but I can recognize a spelling or grammatical mistake a mile away.

Cheers

"She's my everything"
"When I think of [Willow and Tara] doing a spell, I sort of do a spell by myself." - Xander in Restless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:03 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

hi all
same story as everyone above! long time lurker.. (when i say long term.. i mean WAY long term.. i've lost count of the years since the original board! a few may remember me from my original name, now if only i could :sigh )

anyhoo new name cos i can't remember my old one, and i have a fic i wanna share.
so just to spare everyone the pain of un-edited work..
beta? anyone?? anyone??
bueller??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:39 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Edit to say I have a lovely vlounteer beta now thank-you Sara!

should anyone else be dying to read my shizzle i could send you a copy.

hi,

like most people i'm asking for a beta if anyone fancies a go. i'm good(ish) at spelling though I am English so would prefer an American beta but i dont know much about grammar, i just write how i think it should sound so i might need help with that
also formatting, i've never written a story before so i'm not sure about paragraphing especially where speech is concerned.

and in general, characterisation, plot and momentum it would be nice to get an opinion ont, just need someone with a bit of distance to tell me what they think; suggest and criticise.

i have 5 chapters already written, obviously open to being changed but it would be great if you could be in for the long haul cus this might go on, if you want to read the first chapter and decide if you want to continue thats absolutely fine.

pm me if you're interested.

if you have a fic you would like someone to read in return i reckon i could do an ok job as a beta.

ta
x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:58 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

hi,

i'm offering services as beta, and being elitist in the sense i'll beta for you if i like your writing style. it's just i don't really have a lot of time and it's gruelling editing for stories i'm not into. so if you would like to try (i encourage you to! :) ) pm me a short chapter or email it to ergo.here@gmail.com. if you do make it, i assure you i'm a fast beta 'cause i know how writers feel after they've sent in their works.

cheers.

"The I in Team"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:16 am 
9. Gay Now

Help, please... I need a beta(s)

I'd really appreciate it if there are people/someone who could help me. I have written three WT fics, two are here, the first one's already finished but I'm planning on rewriting it. It'll be great if you could help me with that one too. But my priorities are my on-going stories on PENS. I really like someone who could give me detailed feedback, tips on characterization, development on the story, POVs and writing NC17 (so it's best that you're an adult).

Things you have to know about me and my writing:

* English isn't my first language
* My stories are mostly AUs
* Some of my terms might sound "funky English" (as what my former beta told me :p ), so you're free to tell me what right terms to use.
* I'm weak at verbs and tenses.
* I'm open to any suggestions and I welcome criticism very much.
* I appreciate people who are honest and direct to the point. So, if ever we'll work together, you could tell me at once if you could beta a certain update or not. As simple as that.
* And lastly, I'm broke. :blush So, I'd really appreciate a "gratis" help :p

Thank you so much ;-) Please PM me if you're interested...

"I think you are such a sweetheart even though you got that twisted mind that is almost sadistic." - A friend, after reading REAL LOVE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:15 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hello,

I’m looking for a beta. I have just started writing a Willow/Tara fic called The Hunted 3 parts are currently posted and are available for editing. It is also my first attempt in writing any BTVS fiction; I usually write Star Trek fan fiction so I'm not a complete novice.

I think characterization is one of the main areas I am going to need some help. My spelling is generally ok but it has been known to go ary. I will need help with grammar and punctuation.

I would be nice to have someone who could tell me if certain plot aspects work or the plot in general, and I’m not adverse to a bit of criticism or suggestion. Anything if it will help my story to improve.

If you interested in giving me a hand PM me or email me at catrice@hotmail.co.uk

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Reece.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:38 pm 
3. Flaming O

I've got a fic in the backburner of my mind that is AU, and a "period piece" in the broadest sense.

I'm hesitant to say much about it, but I'm looking for someone to talk it through with me to see what the thought is... (even 2-3 people would be fantastic). Is it worth doing? Can it be done in this forum, using these characters?

I need people who:
-have a very clear idea about Willow/Tara characterization
-like AU
-are willing to work with me on something kind of personal and dear to my heart.

Just a few emails back and forth would really, really help me.

Thanks!
M.

There's some more of my stuff over here: http://bonmot507.livejournal.com/

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:22 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

OK, I'm going to try it this way...

I could really use a beta. I'm writing my first fic, and I'd really like for it to be something approaching 'pretty good'... as it is (I'm only 2 chapters in, but...) I think it may be something approaching 'mediocre'. Some beta-y-type feedback would be so veryvery helpful and appreciated!

PM me if you might be willing? Please? I have cookies!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:33 pm 
5. Willowhand

hi names cammy ive been a big reader last few years but recently started writing i have only 1 story under my belt and have a new one in works but its not going well

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:13 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I seem to be losing my anonymity as old age sets in, but I'll introduce myself anyway. My name is Robin (better known as taylorgirl6 in print), and I'm in the throes of creativity right this very moment.

I NEED A FRESH PAIR OF EYES.

Grammer, punctuation, and spelling are naturally easy for me, but I'm beginning to struggle with specific content, plot direction, and the development of minor characters. My current fanfic is a fantasy setting. It's long, complex, there are tons of twists and subplots, and I'm drowning in details. I need someone who can visualize the big picture and clarify the road map for me.

Interested? Then please, for the love of god, help!!

I write from home and at work (when I can get away with it), but I rarely have access to any IM programs. Gmail me.

http://citychickenfarm.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:26 am 
12. Recently Gay

Hey all, as well as working on QSM I have another fic started that I'm playing about with as the mood takes me.

It's very different to the fluffy stuff in QSM, and is written in the first person from Tara's point of veiw. Never having tried that before I'm not sure I'm sticking to the rules in respect of that, so a little help keeping me in that perspective would be welcome.

I've never used a beta before, so I'm not sure exactly what I else I need from them, but I guess I'll find out, if someone is prepared to be honest about my work.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:28 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
Guys/gals/peeps,

Last post was a month ago. How about a refresh as to whether you are still looking for a beta or not?

b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:40 am 
12. Recently Gay

Oops! Sorry!

Very good point Binky, I no longer need a beta reader and I honestly did have good intentions of posting that here, but as they say the road to hell is paved with them! Good intentions, not beta readers ;-)

Post subject: Beta Readers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:35 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

i need a beta for characterisation and general story telling. i write very slowly though i like people who can get back to me quick ;P

there's a bit on http://thekittenboard.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5200 (though i will probably change parts of that here and there later on).

"The I in Team"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 pm 
5. Willowhand

need a beta anyone interested? im not sure what to do pm please if ud like to help

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:14 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all!

I'm usually a bit of a lurker, but I'm trying to leave more (and better) feedback on your stories. I think it's great that there are so many people sharing their writings, their ideas etc. and want to see if there's something I can do in return ;)

I'm not at all an experienced writer or beta so I'm a bit hesitant about what I can offer to help... but I'll have to start somewhere if I wanna learn! ;)

I'm not an English native but I'm in my final year of translation studies with English as my major, so I'm thinking I can check things like spelling, grammar and punctuation at least. Of course I can always offer some "objective reader's feedback". I know there's plenty of people already who can do the same and possibly even better, but I figure the more, the better!

If there's anything I can do, just send me a PM! Like I said, I can't guarantee I'm any good but it won't hurt to ask :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

hey guys... after a looong time just writing fics and books on my mother language, I decide to translate some W/T to English and I need a beta to help me with that...

thanks ^^

My Heart Draws a Dream
True Colors of Love
A Crazy Little Thing Called Mutation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:10 pm 

Anyone having any luck finding beta readers? I'm not seeing lots of responses or editing request posts when a beta is found. I'll be looking for a beta reader myself here in the next few months. It'd be good to know if I need to look outside of the Kitten for editing help. :confused

Edited 4/25/09: I've had an offer from a beta. Thanks.

DON'T BE SHY, PEOPLE!! raspberryhat AND I THOUGHT UP THIS FORUM TO BRING FOLKS TOGETHER AND CREATE BETTER WRITERS! Sheesh!

Last edited by Trom DeGrey on Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:56 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey all, I have a story currently on the board, but I seem to have a few issues coming up with what I want to do with it. That being said I am writing my version of what happened in season 6 from Hell's Bells and on. I'm in desperate need of a Beta reader. If anyone is interested please PM me.

Thanks in advance,
AB :peace

This is really how it ended:
Tara - your shirt... it's beautiful on you, but it looks way better off you...
And everybody lived happily ever after the end

Will I forget the failure of a final season if I hit my head enough times on this brick wall?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Topics: 2
Hi,
Finally! After all these years, I've decided to write a fic, now all I need is a beta who's willing to tell me things like, "This line is stupid. Try it this way." And, "Willow would never say something like that." Or "Not a good name or a demon, how about this." And maybe even someone to tell me if I'm spelling things right and to keep me from drifting off in a different direction. Cause I'm easily distracted. So... if anyone's interested let me know. I've already started 2 fics, so if anyone's willing to help me out and read over what I have so far, I would be forever greatful.

Thank!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of a fic ("Changing Your Goals") on Pens. I'm looking for a beta to help flesh out some the storylines and pace for my story. I'm aiming to post an update about once a week, so someone who has a bit of spare time to help Beta would be awesome... You can inbox me (cyteach) if you're interested (please be interested!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:51 am 
3. Flaming O

I'm in need of a beta, I could use the help. I would be enternally grateful to this person! Im working on the fic A little different (I'm prolly gonna change the name because I realize there is already a fic out there with that name). I baisically need someone help check for awkward phrasing or vocabulary, I also feel that my writing style is inconsistant at the moment because my writing either goes into depth or stays vague, as well as other faults as well. pm me or email me if you are interested in helping.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:44 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hello everyone... I'm actually not new to the kitten. I've been around for quite a while now. I was just willowlvr, now I'm workin as willowlvr4life. I wrote, posted, and never finished my fic Dreams Reveal. After overcoming many 'mountains' in my life I am ready to get my fic going again and finished this time. I had 2 great beta's, but am guessing they aren't around much anymore if at all. So I'm looking for another one, I'm easy to work with and love the opinion and help with my story from my beta. If you're interested at all, let me know

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:54 pm 

I see lots of individual threads requesting betas. Bumping this thread so interested betas can post their strengths here and writers can peruse.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:13 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Hey all! I am looking for a beta! email at chipperdyke@gmail.com!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:09 am 
2. Floating Rose

Hi I have a story I would like to post but I would like a beta to have a look at it first. You can email me at greatone305sgdarlene@gmail.com