The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One-on-One Authors / Beta Readers
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:25 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

The purpose of Beta Pens is to bring the beta process to the whole community. Ideally, this could benefit both the authors and potential beta readers. But we also understand that not every author or beta reader is going to want to work that way. Some of you would rather work privately, one-on-one (or -two or -three).

So authors and betas, if you'd rather work one-on-one, please post your information in this thread. The more specific you are about what you're looking for, the better. Authors, please let us know exactly what you're looking for in a beta. And betas, please let us know what your strengths are as a beta.

Post subject: Re: Beta Reader Available
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:42 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Hey I'm Katie. I'm a high school senior. I'm really nitpicky about grammar and spelling and so forth. I'm majoring in screenwriting/film and I've assisted one of my friends on plot issues for a script that is now going to be produced. I've seen every Buffy episode at least twice, and every Willow Tara episode at least way more than that. I have a photographic memory. I'm basically always online. Anybody who's interested in having a beta reader with extensive editing/writing experience...IM, Windows Message or email me...it's all in my profile. Katie

PS. It's really easier to reach me by on AIM than anything else, but I'd really love to help anybody who wants help. I'm trying to find betas for this fic I'm working on also...more on that later...it's in the preproduction stages...

Post subject: Re: One-on-One Authors / Beta Readers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:58 pm 
Hey. My name's Jess and I'm still in highschool but have been writing for a long time. I'm a grammar stickler and am pretty easy to work with. I give extremely detailed feedback with things that must be changed (grammar/spelling), things that could be changed, things that I think are right on - basically, I'll give you my opinions and just help out as much as I can.

I know from experience how valuable a good beta can be - I'll be doing my best to live up to that. Send me an email at jadeo0@hotmail.com if you're interested. I don't check back here often, but if you email me, I'll get right down to it. I will almost never turn away anything. I'll do anything but PWP.

Last edited by jadeo0 on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey people.

I'm a bit of a newbie here, but I've been lurking and reading fic for a few years now...and I decided to write my own recently.

It's already here in Beta Pens (called 'Connections'), but I think I'd rather have a regular Beta than just putting it out here...although I may put it here anyway if I feel it needs it.

I don't really need a lot of help with spelling and grammar (I think I'm pretty good at that, I'm something of a spelling nazi already :) ), but what I DO need is help with the characters. E.g. someone to help me out with questions like 'do you think that this sentence sounds 'Tara' enough?' or 'Would Willow react like this or like this?'

Also I tend to have a picture in my head and I forget when I'm writing that not everybody has telepathic access to that picture, so I need someone to prod me about bits they don't understand so I can make it clearer to the reader what I mean.

Any takers?

You can catch me on the #kitten IRC channel or PM me here if you're interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:46 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hello! I guess I'm here to beg for a beta :lol I'm really looking for anyone strong in grammer/punctuation to help me out with a few of my stories...as it's been pointed out to me that my own editing skills suck. :-D

If there is any kitten that will visit their talents upon me I'd muchly appreciate it. :blush

you can private message me

Thank you.

xoxo
Emms

Last edited by Emms on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:51 am 
3. Flaming O

Hi, I’m Sez! :wave

I’m English and I’m looking for an American Beta reader for my first ever fic. It is currently in early draft form, and has the working title is ‘listen with your heart’. It is starting pre S4 and I plan to develop it into an A.U. S4.

I already have an English Beta reader, and there are two reasons why I’m now specifically looking for an American Beta:

1. The first few chapters of my fic are dealing with Tara in her final year at high school and applying to university / college. I’ve been doing research on various aspects of this, both independently and via the research strand of Beta pens and I think I’m starting to understand the system. However, it has been suggested to me that having an American Beta (preferably with knowledge of these areas) would help me ensure that the final product is sufficiently realistic.

2. As an English person writing a fic set in America, I’m highly likely to have some issues with language usage and U.S. spellings, so I would also like support with this please.

If you feel that you would be interested in helping me please contact me via Private Message or by E-mail at cosmicdancer2@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks, Sez

'Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow'
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:01 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Edited: Count me out of the beta game. Sorry.

Last edited by Trom DeGrey on Thu May 11, 2006 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:07 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Topics: 8
Hi! I'm looking for a beta (god this is kinda scary). I've only been writing for a few months, and would really like some help to improve what I've written. I have a little short written out and an on-going fic already in Pens. I've never done this before so . . . yeah . . . help please? :) You could send me a PM or just email me at foomatic@comcast.net. Thanks!

Kisses and Gay Love
"I like my buttons, curvy." - Willow, Neverland, by Easiersaid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:08 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Oh thank goodness, I thought there wasn't a section for begging for betas. Whew. I do need a beta, very much so. Mostly for characterization and plot flow. Also for typos here and there. Revision is a step I like to skip in the whole writing process. I'm pretty much fine with grammar and spelling but those details!

If you would like some idea of the sort of writing I do, I have a very rough rough story beginning up on Pens. And if you are feeling charitable today, you can catch me by email at aileenk.nyc@gmail.com.

Merci beau-cups!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:25 am 
2. Floating Rose

Anyone looking for a beta or story feedback before posting on Pens?
I'm happy to help out anyone who may be looking for help. Grammar, spelling or punctuation issues? Stuck with story flow or character development? Ask away.
Let me know how I can help.

Rachel
starcomed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:46 pm 
5. Willowhand

Anyone interested in helping a very new writer?

I'm working on my first serious W/T story (okay my first serious story) and it seems to be rolling along okay at about 11 thousand words. But suddenly I find doubt creeping in about whether it's actually any good, and I'd love to get the opinion of someone who knows more about writing than me. I'll take any criticism, no matter how harsh or brutal, I'd just love to hear some feedback.

I can be reached by PM or by email at heather.fortru@gmail.com. My computer's a little in and out at the moment, so if you write me and I don't get back to you right away, I will! Thanks in advance, all.

Heather

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:57 pm 
3. Flaming O

*pokes my head in the door and looks around* ahh, umm I need a Beta please?

My name's Beth, I've been writing for a little less than ten years (just little stories for personal enjoyment) and now I'd like to try my hand at fan fiction. I'm a stickler myself for spelling and grammar. The catch is, I know waay too little about characterization of these particular characters. If you or any Beta's you know would be interested, please contact me! Yahoo Messenger is the best way to do that at the present time, as email is on the fritz. Thanks again for your time.

Toodles, take care.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:27 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey,
My name is Catie, I've been writing for six plus years, blah blah blah. Life is kind of boring at this point in time so I'm offering my services as a beta reader for any brave enough. I admit I'm only a senior in high school and may not have years of experience to my cred. As a result, my knowledge of the "real world" is somewhat limited but I'm not totally naive. As a beta reader I can offer grammar editting. I have the "benifit" of currently taking three English classes and have been excersing my grammar skills. As a reader of countless fanfics I can help with questions like "does this sound like Willow" and the like. I'll admit, my real love is original fiction so if anyone wants to throw any of that my way, I'm more than willing.
Send it in email cbrymm@yahoo.com
}|{ Catie }|{

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:17 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 4
EDIT 2/3/06 - request removed. Thnx.

Last edited by binky on Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: i need a beta
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:37 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Hello lovely kittens,
I am looking for a beta who can give me constructive criticism on my story without trying to change the whole meaning of where I am trying to go. Also, someone who is particular about grammar and spelling and so on. I already posted on Pens, but I'm going to rewrite it. Start a new thread and have the moderators delete the old one. I am currently experiencing a writer's block, so I thought maybe if i rearranged the story a bit it would help. But if anyone is interested please message me here or i/m me on AIM at xstacer5x. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:56 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Ok, here's me jumping on the beta reader bandwagon.

I'm Emma, I'm a Brit at university studying English (Literature) and Sociology, I've been beta-ing fics since 2001, when I was an official beta of theforce.net.

My biggest strengths/annoying OCD tendencies are spelling and grammar, as well as characterisation. I'm not so good on totally AU/Uber fics, so I'd rather not take those on, I'm better with the canon and slightly AU situations, but with the W/T that we all know and love so much.

PM me on here if you need me to beta a fic, I would have said IM me but as I get tons of weird guys after me on my IMs, I'd rather know who it is first before blocking them. Heh.

Cheers!

~Emma

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:24 pm 
3. Flaming O

(removed)

Last edited by MagicPancakes on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:19 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I'm looking for a beta, or two, if there are two people who find my fic that interesting.

The unedited, unaltered version of the prologue is in here: The Neptune Colony. It's a working title, but I think I might keep it. I'll be judging that on how many views/responses the thread gets XD

I'm not looking for someone who'll nitpick my grammar, spelling and punctuation - largely because I don't have a problem there. I do, however, tend to lose track of my tenses and lose a few threads of the plot every now and then - so someone who can help me keep track of that would be highly appreciated.

Also, you'll have to keep in mind, this fic is based entirely on a dream I had the other night vv'... it was just too weird to pass up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:00 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

I’m looking for an additional beta reader for my AU fic, Aeternum Vale.

I’d like someone to sound out a few things with. Most of the story is already written, though some of it as a very rough draft, but I’m struggling to tidy things up and also with some additional scenes I’ve decided/needed to include. I need to get myself writing again for my own sanity after hitting a brick wall about a year ago. Spelling and grammar are not usually too much of a problem - keeping things tight and myself motivated are at the moment. If anybody is interested PM me.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi everyone. I'm finding myself unsatisfied (again) with my current editing abilities. If there is anyone interested in beta'ing for me, just drop me a PM :hmm

The requirements are as follow:

1. must be good with punctuation (because I'm not)
2. must be willing to work long hours with little to No pay ( emphasis on the NO part of that qualification.)
3. must be able to make an omelet in 1 minute and 30 seconds flat. (points will be taken off for a sloppy presentation)
4. must refrain from laughing (out loud) at the name on my e-mail address. (it was not my fault. I was high on Snapple and watching Mash at the time.)
5. And please don’t be shocked to tears by my dangling participles. (I swear they came that way.)

xoxo
Emms :peace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:14 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hi all,
I am just putting my name out there if anyone wants or needs a beta.

I have beta'd a couple of stories before, none of which the were posted or finished.

I am really anal about grammar, punctuation and tenses. If someone switches from past tense to future tense, or the other way around, I catch it. It's like I have a radar for it (unless it's in my own writing).

I check my email and private messages every day and am very quick to beta the updae and get it back to you.

If anyone is interested in my services just private message me and I will give you my email address.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:27 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

All right, as I'm uninspired, lost, and not in a high-tech-y place, I'm dropping the Neptune Colony. At least, for the time being.

I am, however, starting a different fic. The first chapter is nearly written, and I'm looking for a beta (again!)

A bit of background info:

If anyone's read the Earth's Children series (The Clan of the Cave Bear etc.) by Jean Auel, it would help immensely, however, it's certainly not required. I'm taking Willow and Tara and - after altering their names slightly to fit their respective cultures - am placing them in the midst of ice age Europe. Anyone who knows anything about anthropology and/or psychology would be greatly appreciated.

I need someone who can help me with the structure of my writing. Though I have little to no problem with spelling, grammar, punctuation, and individual sentence structure, something about the chapter, whether or not all the information I wish to include has been written in, seems incomplete. This happens nearly all the time. I need someone to point out holes, tell me what needs to be fleshed out and what needs to be trimmed down; when I'm using the same word too often as I have a tendency to pick a favourite word and keep using it; when I'm being too generic; when I'm being too specific... I'm sure you're all intelligent enough that I don't need to list everything.

I shall keep :kgeek, but hope to get a PM or an email at astarael_ebony@hotmail.com from a prospective beta! All I need to know is why you're interested in beta-ing my fic, and what your strengths are.

<33

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:53 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 8
As someone who read all but the last of the Auel books, I just have one thing to ask: I hope you aren't planning to have a Cro-Magnon Willow encounter a Neanderthal Tara, are you??????? :pray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:37 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Hemiola wrote:
As someone who read all but the last of the Auel books, I just have one thing to ask: I hope you aren't planning to have a Cro-Magnon Willow encounter a Neanderthal Tara, are you???????

Lord, no! More like a Shamudoi Willow encountering a Mamutoi Tara. I don't think the way Neanderthals do, so I couldn't write from the perspective of one of them. It would be too difficult for me.

Actually, I didn't even think of that... but I wanted to avoid simply telling Jondalar and Ayla's story with different names.

Last edited by Naeryn on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:58 pm 
23. Volumey Text

I've been working for some time on a series of stories Times of Darkness, Times of Light

I've recently finished the 7th story (out of 12) and I need to have it betaed.

If anyone is interested then please PM me :pray

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:51 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I'm Liz and I'm in my Junior year of High School. I have been writing for a couple years now and hope to become a writer professionally but I realized that my grammer and spelling needs help. I love writing about Willow and Tara getting married and having kids and some stories I have already written have other brutal subjects. I have written about 8 stories and most of them are short. I need someone to correct the errors on those and then help me fix ones that I plan to write in the future. E-mail me at orpheus0072000@yahoo.com if you want to help. Please and thank you.

Liz. :pride

"Love is the most dangerous craving of all, if you ask me. It turns us into people we aren't. It makes us feel like hell, and makes us walk on water. It ruins us for anything else." -Eric in Jodi Picoults book 'Vanishing Acts'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:45 pm 
30. Sweaty and Kinda Gay

Hi everyone! I'm currently working on a short fic (around 13 chapters) based on the movie "Logan's Run" (but of course, staring Willow/Tara :D ) and I'm looking for someone to beta it for me. :pray If there is anyone interested I would muchly appreciate the help. :pinky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:49 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey all,

ok, I seem to be a glutton for punishment and will offer my beta-ing services to the masses!

I beta already for Willow Watcher on here and a few others elsewhere. Usually she bounces ideas, plot lines and general weirdness off me to see where they land.

Im a trainee proofreader so I wont interfere so much with the actual story or grammer as its all relative and individual but if stuff doesnt make sense, characters are repeating lines from the show but not the right ones (ie, Giles says a Buffy line or something similar) then I'll pick up on it straight away.

AU or canon Im pretty much up for anything and dont mind getting involved in some research. Im english but can work in american spellings etc although some pop culture may be a little lost on me but anything I dont get, I'll ask.

Be warned, I have a no holds barred attitude and will tell you straight, I don't mean to be offensive but some people take it that way. Im fair but blunt and offer constructive criticism but it can come across as harsh and rude.
Your best bet is to ask Willow Watcher what Im like.

PM me here if you're interested.

Every time a fanfic earns a comment, a Beta gets her wings!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:58 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Ice aka Spellbound is in fact a great beta reader. I wish I had found her when I first started writing fics. She is great with ideas and plenty of critisism that'll keep you on your toes. I recommend her. The current fic that I'm working on is Usus ad Obsurum (Posessor of Darkness) and she has helped me tremendously. A+++ beta reader. Take advantage of her (in the non sexy way...her girlfriend wouldn't like it too much) :lol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:00 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

---

"The I in Team"

Last edited by inlerf on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.