The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New AU fic Idea/ I'd really appreciate some opinions :)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:51 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Topics: 3
Hey Kittens,

I've had a fic rolling around in my head for a bit, and while I've talked to some people from the KB about it, I want to get some more opinions. While I do want to go with my gut and stay true to my idea, I want to know if the fic that I am writing is one that you kittens would enjoy.

Now, onward with the details!

Setting: Alternate Universe High Fantasy. Imagine Tolkien and J.K Rowling got together and decided to have a literary baby, that is what I am aiming for.

Basic Plot: Odessa Maclay escapes the castle of an evil warlock when Tara is just over an hour old thanks to the help of an old friend. She flees to a far off land to raise Tara. By the time Tara is a teenager, her magical power begins to surpass what her mother can teach her and the two women move to the largest magical coven in the land to continue their studies. It is at this coven that Willow and Tara meet. A Prophecy, epic journey, adventures with dragons, and love story unfold as our girls are thrown feet first into a land filled with mythical creatures and ancient magic.

Author's note: I am not considering this an Uber because much of the lore and legends are of my own making even though they may come across as archtypal. As such, this will be a very lore heavy fic, but there will be lots of sweetness and a fair amount of angst. Also, I this will be a long fic and I am not going to post it until it is written and edited for the most part.

Author's note II: Willow and Tara are absolutely central to the fic even if it might not seem so at times. Plus, Willow & Tara + Dragons & Epic fantasy = Win for me. Let me know what you think or if you want some more details before you decide. Any and all questions and suggestions are welcome, even if I can't answer them :)

Post subject: Re: New AU fic Idea/ I'd really appreciate some opinions :)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

I think it sounds like a great idea! The fact that you already know it will be unapologetically lore-heavy is a plus in my opinion. If you know the minutiae of the story will rest directly on your shoulders - setting, customs, universal laws, etc. - I think you would be more likely to be detail oriented rather than relying on accepted canon. The opposite side of that coin, of course, is getting lost in explaining your universe rather than telling your story. For that reason, I would highly suggest getting a good beta that can reign you in. I haven't been on the kitten on a regular basis in several years now, and I'm not reading anything on Pens at the moment, so I have no idea if there is anything similar to what you are suggesting out there right now. I had a fantasy story in mind once. I even outlined it. But all of my writing has fallen by the wayside in recent years. I'll be interested to see this one!