The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 'Home is Where...' (updated Valentine's day '08)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:47 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

To celebrate finally being able to link, I made a banner! Not the best banner or anything, but a banner! It's at the top of chapter 1. :)

I'll probably do another update over the weekend, my dear kittens! Ta!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm 
2. Floating Rose

Paint the Sky wrote:
I can’t wait to see how they deal with the other feelings as they arise. Tara’s talent better be under control by then or they ‘loop’ into orbit

Ooh, yes - a very good thought. If Tara starts to project her feelings of attraction/love, is Willow going to freak out wondering if it's her own love for Tara she's feeling, or simply a reflection of Tara's feelings for her? Tara better get that control working for her, or Willow may never trust what she's feeling.

thiswomanswork: have you read the Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody? It too is set around a group of misfits living in a post apocolyptic world, some of whom have developed special powers. It's a good read if you're interested. No girl on girl lovin, unfortunately, but still worth checking out

Last edited by EmsInNz on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:37 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Hi there and welcome to DCP. Did I comment on the first update? Sorry, I can't remember. I'm enjoying the premise here. I like the idea that people can kind of wander until they find a place where they fit without being a target for violence or anything. I know that it was mentioned that Tara's father would have been a problem but it seems like he's the exception rather than the norm.

I also think that I would enjoy the story a little better if you explained a little more about this universe. Without telling a long story, see if you can work into the dialog some explanations of how the community where these women live is set up. The other people who were around Willow in the kitchens? Who are they? How did they arrive? Do they all have some magical or psychic powers? How did the mentors arrive? How do they come by all their knowledge? I'm not saying to stop and write that all out, leaving the narrative thread, but give us some more information to fill in some questions and gaps.

Ok, I wrote that paragraph before asking permission. If you'd like a longer conversation, please PM me or let me know that you'd like it posted in the thread or by PM/e-mail. If you'd rather not, please let me know. I won't take offense and it's no harm no foul.

I'm looking forward to more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:05 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

Hi! I'll reply more later, but for now I thought I'd address:

JustSkipIt wrote:
Ok, I wrote that paragraph before asking permission. If you'd like a longer conversation, please PM me or let me know that you'd like it posted in the thread or by PM/e-mail. If you'd rather not, please let me know. I won't take offense and it's no harm no foul.

I'm happy to hear/discuss more. Feedback and constructive criticism are always welcome, in the thread or elsewhere. So consider permission granted. Only take it to PM if you think it should be private for some reason that I can't think of right now.

Anyway, I'll fb the fb more soon. Probably this evening or tomorrow.

Last edited by thiswomanswork on Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:26 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Well I will say this..I love your story.I thimk it is very different and well, refreshing.
I like your baner too.Very lovely.
Cant wait for the next one..banner and update...LOL
Rosemary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:04 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

((waves to all the kittens!))

Thank you to everybody for your enthusiasm and encouragement! I don't think I could possibly tell you how much it means to me.

Now, on to specific replies:

chance - OK, can I just say that's the most encouraging feedback I've ever gotten? Giant thank-yous abound!

Julia - Thanks! Yeah, Tara's been having a difficult time. But things are getting better!

paint the sky - Tara's gift is indeed both boon and curse. If she can bring it under control, hopefully it will be more of the former and less the latter.

emsinnz - No, I've never read that series, but I'll put it on my amazon wishlist for checking out. Despite the lack of girl-girl action. :)

Deb - You make a great point there--I have been giving short shrift to the background and history of the world, the area, and the supporting characters--each for different reasons. I do have plans (starting with chapter 5) to talk about how the world got the way it is. The history and nature of NHP and its residents I'm sort of unfolding gradually now that (starting with this next update) Tara can move about the community as she wishes. The two main supporting characters I was trying to sort of intentionally leave a bit less fleshed out, just because I've been trying to use them mostly as a viewpoint, and I was worried that putting much into talking about them would take away from the main characters. However, I went back and read through what I've done and realized that yeah, the story would probably be more entertaining if we knew a bit more about them. Thanks for bringing all that to my attention. I appreciate it greatly.

Rose - Sorry, one banner per story. ;) I'm glad you like it, though.

Chapter 3 came through so easily. Writing it was like sitting down and just letting my fingers do what they wanted as the images came flitting through my brain. Chapter 4, not so much. It was sort of a struggle, actually. I'm hoping that this didn't translate into prose that flows badly, but I guess we'll see. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:31 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

[center]Chapter 4: Home is where you're accepted, no matter what.[/center]

Rating (by chapter): PG-13.
Disclaimer: Willow, Tara, and any other Mutant Enemy characters that might creep in are not mine. Nobody's getting paid for this, and that's really just fine.
Distribution: Anywhere is fine, just ask first, please.
Spoilers: None.
Notes: None this time.

Summary: Six months have passed, and it's time for Tara to come out from under her teacher's wing.

"Are you ready, Tara?"

There's so much unsaid in that question. Am I ready for what? To leave my room? To leave the house? To face the world? To interact with other people as though I were normal? To eat? To meet new people? To come out of my shell?

There was a knock on the door, and Jody's voice came again from the other side, the warm, gravelly contralto somehow not nearly as comforting as usual.

"Tara? You ready?"

No. No, I'm not. I need more time, more experience. If I go out there tonight, I'll mess it up. I'll scare everybody. Or I'll act weird because I know what everybody's feeling and I don't know how to pretend that I don't, and no one will know how to talk to me. Or I'll get too close to the fire and burn myself and get angry and slip and people will start fighting... I don't want to hurt anyone!

"Okay, Tara, listen. It's gonna be OK, I promise. If you need to leave, we leave. But you won't need to. Know why? Because me, Kate, and Willow will be around the whole time, so there's not a damn thing you need to worry about. And you know why else? Because you fucking rock, that's why. You're the best student I've ever had. I've watched you closely, and I wouldn't let you go out there if I didn't already know that you were ready for it... OK?"

Tara couldn't help but smile a little at that.

[center]-------------------[/center]

Jody was trying to decide whether to knock again, or just threaten to kick the door down. The former, she reflected, was more appropriate, but the latter had traditionally gotten her better results. And she hadn't kicked a door down in such a long time... of course, she wasn't exactly in the best shape of her life, but still, the door was hollow... probably just a step back and a straight front kick just to the left of the knob would do it...

Her musings about kicking logistics were interrupted by the opening of the door. Tara stood on the other side, still scared but smiling. She looked up at Jody, a question on her face.

"I... rock?"

Jody grinned. "Hell yeah."

For a few moments there was silence, then the girl hesitantly asked, "Wh-what does that mean?"

"Ow!" Willow rubbed her shin.

"Willow, would you please stop pacing so furiously? Aside from the fact that it's making me downright antsy, it's now the third time you've run into that planter, and I'm very fond of those herbs!" Kate's normally gentle voice was becoming a bit shrill.

"Sorry," Willow replied, and looked around desperately for something besides pacing to keep her occupied. Umm, what can I do what can I do, oh! I can go lean on the railing and look out at the trees! Yeah. The leaning will give my hands something to do, and it'll keep me in one place, which is just exactly what I need right now, to stay in one place. Yup.

She crossed the porch, her footsteps quiet on the wooden deck. "How long do you think it will be?" she asked again.

From her seat on the porch steps, Kate smiled tolerantly. "Tara is undoubtedly nervous. She may be having second thoughts. Since they've been in there for this long, we can probably assume that they are talking about things of importance, and the best thing for us to do is to simply wai-"

"-nthusiastic way of saying you're really, y'know, capable, impressive," Jody was saying as she and Tara bustled out the door, chatting animatedly. "That sort of thing."

"And all that from a genre of music?" Tara's voice as she closed the door behind them was a bit bewildered, but showed no particular upset.

"Well," her teacher replied, "yeah. But it's a really good genre of music." She looked back and forth between the two on the porch with an air of amused impatience. "You guys ready?"

Willow chose to ignore that, and instead flashed her friend a big grin. Tara returned the smile, her eyes indicating more eloquently than words that she was actually pretty scared.

Well, why wouldn't she be? I mean, duh, she's been getting better for months and she's totally ready, but this is the first time since it all started that she'll be just... interacting, like anyone else. It seems like such a small thing when I do it, but for her, it's the biggest step she could possibly take!

She smiled reassuringly at the girl, and gave her her best 'no problem' wink. The smile of gratitude that she got in return warmed her heart, and she fell into step beside Tara as the four began the walk to the kitchen.

Tara couldn't think.

Not that she didn't try. But whatever she tried to focus her mind on--be it the beauty of the sun dipping down to nearly touch the treeline, the sorts of things she might say to people at dinner, how nice it would be to just walk down these paths alone some time, or maybe with Willow, or why her teacher used vernacular from something like a hundred years ago--just got overrun by the nervousness that dogged her heels.

She briefly noted that despite the strength of all that nervousness, she wasn't projecting it at all, and that gave her a brief flash of confidence that kept her going for awhile.

They were coming up to the kitchen area now, where Tara could see that the food was almost completely ready. Some people were already getting their servings and moving to the tables at the other side of the pavillion; a few were filling foodboxes to take elsewhere. Tara saw Gwen, a friendly woman who frequented the library and liked to tell Tara about whatever book she was reading at the time. She seemed to be directing the few remaining food-preperation tasks. Virgil, a quiet man with an open smile who sometimes came by the house to 'jam', waved to their group in passing as he gathered the kitchen scraps into the compost wheelbarrow. And there were Deepak and Pierre, already sitting down with their food and deep in conversation. Tara had met them when she had gone with Jody to the weekly martial arts practices held in the field next to the fruit-tree grove.

Starting now, she suddenly realized with wonder, my social circle won't be limited to those people that Jody is in regular contact with. I'll be able to make friends with whomever I like, go wherever I like, do things, get involved... The thought was a calming one, and she felt her stomach settling a bit. She turned to smile at Willow, and found the redhead watching her, concern on her face and in her heart. Tara broke into a grin and impulsively grabbed her best friend's hand. ...and Willow and I can be together more often.

"Come on," she said. "Let's eat."

They rushed over into the friendly mob of people milling about and putting food onto plates and into bowls. Along with game and fish, there was a good selection of autumn fruits and vegetables, and a stew that took Tara's nervous stomach over the line into 'hungry' mode with its appetizing smell. She must have stared at the stew a bit too long, because a woman behind her laid a friendly hand on her shoulder.

"Take as much as you like, dear," she said. "They're just about to get another pot of it off the fire."

Tara turned her head and smiled her thanks. The woman was thirtyish and freckled, with frizzy light-brown hair and eyes full of mischief. "You're Willow's friend Tara, right? I've seen you a few times here and there, but we've never spoken. I'm Jackie."

"Hello, Jackie. Nice to meet you." Tara found she had a grin plastered to her face. This was so much easier than she'd feared. She ladled some stew into her bowl, then into Jackie's. Willow, weaving her way through the crowd, caught sight of them both. "Hey Jackie. Tara! I got the carrots; you ready to grab a seat?"

They took their food to an empty area near where Deepak and Pierre were still absorbed in conversation. The two looked up and gave them a wave as they filled their cups from the water-barrel and finally sat down to eat.

"See?" Willow asked, playfully bumping her shoulder against Tara's. "I knew you'd do great!"

Tara finished chewing her bite of venison, which was a little dry, before answering. "I guess you're just that smart." She looked over at her friend, who was grinning proudly, and couldn't help grinning back.

I could get used to this, she thought, though she couldn't have said at that moment exactly what 'this' was.

As they ate, the tables steadily filled up with people. Tara couldn't help but notice that the nearby seats filled up first, with people she'd already met and people eager to meet her. It was kind of flattering. There was Jackie and her man Mason, and Virgil, there was Kusanagi, Camilla, Tiger... and lots of others whose names she wasn't able to catch or retain.

And there was Gareth. The towheaded 8-year old showed up while Mason was debating with Kusanagi over the best ways to use salvaged copper wiring. Tara was only about half-listening when she was distracted by his gentle tap on her shoulder.

"You're Tara?" asked the boy, wide eyed and solemn.

She smiled quietly and nodded.

"You're really pretty," he said earnestly, shifting his weight from foot to foot. "My mom said you're from somewhere else, only not the same place as Willow comes from."

"Yes, that's right. And you're Gareth, right? I've heard you're quite the adventurer."

The boy's eyes went even wider, and he was quiet for a minute. Just as Tara was about to break the silence, he blurted out, "Willyoutellmeastorylater?"

She smiled and touseled his hair. "Sure."

Apparently satisfied, the boy ran off. Willow giggled. "Looks like you've got an admirer," she said with a wink.

"He's charming," she replied with a smile. "But I think maybe he was just looking for someone to sucker into telling him a story." They both giggled at that.

A few minutes later, the wiring debate dwindled to a halt, and things got a bit quieter. It didn't take much of this before Jackie shouted out, "Okay, there's not any singing going on! Is this a meal, or a funeral? Somebody sing!"

There was quite a bit of laughter at that from around the kitchen. "All right, Jackie, all right," Kate's voice called mirthfully from several tables over.

Tara leaned toward the woman. "So, are you the boss around here?"

"Me?" the woman snorted. "No chance of that. I'm just loud!"

After the chorus of amused agreement had died down around her, she continued. "No bosses here, honey. Elders, yes, but no bosses." She flicked her eyes meaningfully toward the table from which Kate was currently standing. "You might have met one or two."

Interesting thing to say, Tara thought, but her thoughts were interrupted by loud voices calling for quiet. Everyone turned at least half of
their attention toward Kate, as she cleared her throat and began to sing, her voice a light and clear soprano that defied the unassuming quiet of her speaking voice, filling the air with crystal sound.

That's... she's singing in the poet-language! Tara turned to Willow in surprise. "She's singing in the old poet-language of the clans!" she whispered excitedly.

"Must be in your honour," the redhead replied, equally quiet. "It's beautiful. What does it mean?"

Tara closed her eyes and listened, her brow wrinkling with concentration, and began quietly translating for her friend.

"Rise up, my darling, if you're not up already.
Open the door and let me into the house...
I've a bottle beside me to give a drink to your mother,
And I hope that she won't refuse me her daughter.

When I rise in the morning and I look to the west,
And I look at that town that I must see,
The tears start to fall like a flood,
And I give a thousand sighs of homesickness.

In the glens of the lonely wood, I walk weak and sad.
From one Sunday to the next as I go through my life,
I look every evening for someone who would walk up my road or come to my house,
And there's no one in all of Gaia who would come and lift my heart.

Oh Molly, my first love, never abandon me.
Do I not follow your path every day on the slopes of the hillocks?
You are the wheat of all the women of this land, you are the rarest jewel,
And by the oath of my mouth it is no lie that I am in love with you."

There were a few moments of quiet after the song finished, then everyone broke into stomping and yelling and other forms of applause. Tara opened her eyes to find Willow watching her with a funny little smile on her face. With all the emotional white-noise from the busy kitchen, she couldn't read anything from her friend.

"What?" she asked, self-consciously.

"Beautiful... it's just a beautiful song," the redhead replied and turned her attention to the last few scraps on her plate.

With the meal finished and the dishes piled into wheelbarrows for washing in the river the next morning, most everyone had made their way to the meeting field, where a bonfire was lit. People sat or reclined on chairs and benches, or on blankets laid out on the ground. Many had brought drinks or fruit. It was a time of general socializing. Tara had found an empty bench, and she and Willow were quietly talking.

"What do you think Jackie meant, at dinner?" Tara asked. "Do you think they're really..."

"Elders?" Willow finished for her, her face made indistinct by the shifting yellow firelight. "Like, older than everybody else? Yeah, probably. I mean, I've kind of gathered that people here live for a long time--that's why there aren't many kids, I guess--so they could be really old and just not look it."

"It's weird that they don't talk about it, though," Tara pondered. "I mean, I think Jody was sort of hinting at it earlier when she was talking about music, but... mostly she never talks about the past."

"Kate talks about the past all the time," the other girl responded, "but it's always, you know, history and stuff. You know. When this happened. When that magician was alive. Which public figures of which time were actually ancient and powerful vampires. There were a lot more of those than you'd think, by the way." It took a moment for Tara to see that the redhead was grinning. "Anyway... let's find out! We'll ask around, subtly, using our charm and our wiles to get information. Then when we've built up a case, we'll present it to them and demand answers!"

Tara laughed at the excitement in Willow's voice. "You know, we could just ask them."

Willow waved the notion away. "Where's the fun in that? I mean, sure, we could ask them, and then be all done with it, or we could ferret out their secrets like some sort of... very cunning... ferret women. Or something."

"Alright, Willow," she gave in. "Ferret-women it is." Who knows, it might be fun. Anyway, how could I possibly turn her down when she's so excited about it that her eyes sparkle like that? She filed that last thought under the swiftly-expanding mental file labeled 'Willow: things to think about. Later.' "We'll track down their secrets, whatever it takes!"

"Yeah," Willow said hesitantly, "Only... maybe not so much with the ferret-women thing. Sometimes my mouth runs ahead of my brain."

"Weasel-women?"

Willow stuck her tongue out and thumped her on the nose. "Oh! Quick, hush, here they come!"

Tara craned her neck to see the two figures in question approaching the area. "...absolutely not going to an unoccupied house just so that you can kick down a door!" the smaller woman was saying with good-natured laughter.

"Hey, if you don't want to come with, that's cool. Just thought you might enjoy watching. Plus, everything's more fun with you around."

"Oh, flattery now, is it? You're not exactly subtle, are you?"

"Not my specialty, no."

The two laughed as they passed by toward the other side of the fire, their voices fading. Willow and Tara grinned at each other.

"Okay," a voice--unsurprisingly Jackie's--called out, "It's story time! Who's telling tonight?"

There was a vague murmuring as a response was waited on. "They tried to get me to tell a story once, right after I got here," Willow quietly told Tara, an expression of severe discomfort on her face. "It didn't go too well. But after I threw up they did let me sit down... I thought that was nice of them."

Movement nearby caught Tara's attention. She turned her head, and saw Gareth approaching. Without speaking, he reached out and tugged on her hand.

"What is it, Gareth?" she asked.

"Get up and tell a story, miss Tara."

What?! "Umm, n-no, I, umm, couldn't..."

The boy's expression went from urgency to shock and hurt. "But you
said you would. You said!

All around, heads were turning to see what was going on. "Oh! I... I d-didn't mean... umm..." She bit her lip, not knowing what to say. The little boy's eyes were getting dangerously full...

"I-i guess maybe one..." she found herself saying.

Instantly happy again, the boy started pulling her along toward the fire and the centre of everyone's attention. She shot Willow a look of helpless panic, but in the dim light she couldn't see the other girl's expression.

What have I gotten myself into now?

TBC

Post subject: Re: 'Home is Where...' (updated 2/16/2008)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:18 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for update-y goodness... Can't wait for Tara's story...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
whew! I finally caught up somewhat on life, which included reading your delightful story! I usually let AUs go on a bit to see if the story is encapsulating enough to grab me in to a different world but have good enough storytelling that it's not alien and uncomfortable. I feel as though I'm sitting next to the fire in your story! So delightful! Your world is foriegn, but organic. It fits, like an old tale you always knew but can't remember.

I like how w/t are so comfortable with one another and their respective mentors have a little knowledge up their sleeves. I'm excited to see where this goes!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:23 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
Hello Sera :)

That was realy nice, they all seem really accepting of Tara, which is good.

I can't wait for the story, will we read it too or will you skip it?

I feel like Willow is starting to notice some thoughts... Like the beautiful.

:-D

Juju can't wait ^^

Thank you :)

Friendly,

Julia :)

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:53 pm 
12. Recently Gay

Tara's fears that her emotions may cause the inhabitants own to spiral out of control shows just how powerful she is already and makes me wonder just how powerful she will become, and why!

The image you paint of the community they live in is very comforting. It seems very a peaceful place with accepting and open people. I imagine that not all the communities in their world are like that so no doubt hard times ahead.

We haven't learned too much yet about Willow, but her concern for her friend is so touching and I'm looking forward to her internal ramblings as her feelings for Tara move from the platonic to the romantic, her head will probably explode as she tries to rationalise it in her own inimitable fashion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:33 am 
3. Flaming O

I’m enjoying this story so far, and it would be so interesting (for me, anyway) to witness Tara’s evolution, how she learns to harness and use her powers. Both hers and Willow’s gifts make for a very exciting connection between them.
This AU seems so potentially rich, I’m very curious to see where this is going.

Wish you inspiring and productive days! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:45 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

This is such a sweet story. However, I think a little more context of the current time line would be helpful ... I don't really understand when in time the story takes place. At first I thought it was in the past, but now I'm thinking it is sometime in the future (but without technology etc).

But I am enjoying the W&T moments.

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:23 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
So Willow and Tara continue to grow closer. It seems as if Tara will have to continue to control her gift or her realizing her feelings for Willow as well as Willow realizing Tara's for her will be a done deal. I wonder how that will affect it. Now she's going to tell a story. I hope it's a tale and really captivates.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:19 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

I just caught up - I'd missed some updates since I don't have much time for the Kitten board these days. :happy

This is such an interesting idea - a world where there are many peoples with fantastic (in the real sense of the word) cultures and beliefs, such as the horse clans, and a place - a half-way house of sorts - where those who don't meld with the people of their birth can go to find their true home.

I can't wait to find out more about this world, and especially about the sanctuary and its caretakers. I wonder what kind of people Willow came from.

Looking forward to more. Thanks
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

I'm pleased to announce that my muse showed up this afternoon, her vacation with Julia's muse having ended abruptly... something about a malaria outbreak or something. So you can expect to see an update tomorrow or the next day at the latest. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:33 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

OK, new update coming up, but first some feedback response!

everybody - Thank you for feedback, helpful criticism, and support. Love you guys!

A few specific replies...

Zooeys_Bridge - And with that I now have the second most encouraging feedback I've ever gotten, thank you! I'm really glad that I'm managing to convey the familiar, comfortable atmosphere. :)

Julia - You get to hear the whole story, or at least all of it that Willow hears, in this very update. :) Hope you enjoy.

Paint the Sky - True, we have yet to delve too much into Willow's past. We'll have to wait a time or two for that, but I hope to make it worth the wait. Thanks for reading!

LittleBit - Hopefully this update will help a bit with that context difficulty! Thanks. :)

spells42 - This and the next couple of updates ought to flesh things out and tell more about the world. Glad you're enjoying it, thank you for the feedback.

Well, here we go... storytime!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:04 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

It's good to know that you are writing again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:18 pm 
17. Mega-Witches

[center]Chapter 5: Home is where everyone knows your stories.[/center]

Rating (by chapter): PG.

Disclaimer: Willow, Tara, and any other Mutant Enemy characters that might creep in are not mine. Nobody's getting paid for this, and that's really just fine.

Notes: If the creation story at the beginning of Tara's tale sounds familiar to you, you've probably played Werewolf, or possibly Mage (the old versions). Believe it or not, that world is where this one started, a looong time back. :-D It's come a long way, I think.

Summary: Tara tells a story of ages past...

As Tara stepped into the firelight, her eyes showing a restrained panic, Willow got up from their bench and made her way to where their teachers were standing. Moving as quickly as she could without bumping into anyone, she got to them just as Tara started to speak.

"Umm, h-hi! Umm, Gareth here," indicating the boy who was still gripping her hand as though she might run away any second, "has asked me to tell a st-story. Umm, what sort of stories d-do you usually l-look for?"

"Do you think she'll be OK?" Willow whispered loudly to the two women, causing them to jump. "She seems really scared."

"Public speaking is a bit intimidating, the first time," Kate whispered back reassuringly. "She'll be alright."

A bit intimidating? There's the understatement of the year, Willow mentally retorted. But she stayed quiet and turned her full attention back to where her best friend was fielding requests from the audience.

"No, I'm sorry," she was saying, "b-but I couldn't. The stories of the clans are p-private, only for the clans themselves." There was a general murmuring in response.

Suddenly her eyes lit up. "I do know a story I could tell," she announced, some of the uncertainty fading from her voice. "My m-mother used to tell me the histories of the ages before when I was a girl. M-maybe I could tell the story of the First Age?"

This was met with varied sounds of affirmation, and more than a few 'It's been too long!'s. Seemingly encouraged, the blonde smiled and cleared her throat. Gareth, apparently satisfied that Tara wasn't going anywhere, released her hand and went to sit at the edge of the firelight.

Willow watched her friend waiting as the noise of the crowd lowered into silence. Tara's nervous, panicked look was gone. In its place was a look of patient serenity. Willow found it hard to look away. She was so scared, and she faced it down. Now look at her. She's amazing...

With the people around the fire finally hushed, Tara began to speak.

"In the time before the beginning of all that we know," she began, her voice ringing louder and clearer than Willow had ever heard it, "there were no people, no lands, no Gaia. There was only the darkness, and the Three that made the darkness their home. The first, Fiain, was strange and unpredictable, but its creativity was inexhaustible. The second, Fiodoir, was a being of great intellect, and a lover of permanence and order. And the third, Dragan, was clever and quick. Its great passion lay in endings, in that which was ephemeral. You might think that such beings would be destined for conflict, and you'd be right. They fought countless battles, battles beyond our ability to even imagine. But at some point, looking upon the field of their conflict, they discovered something that would change everything."

Willow smiled at the tale, familiar but always a little different with every telling. She let the tension she'd been feeling, her concern for her friend, drain away, and just listened.

"The Triur, as the three beings are called, looked into the debris of the battles they had waged, and discovered that in their wake they left not ruin, but life. Fragile, interdependent systems of spirit that were created, existed for a time, and then ended, making way for others. And the Triur were forced to look at themselves, and to realize that they weren't as opposed as they had at first thought. They were complimentary, far greater together than they were in themselves alone. And so they began upon the greatest adventure of them all; they joined together to produce offspring. An offspring far greater than themselves. Her name was Gaia, and her creation was the beginning of the First Age."

Willow heard sighs of contentment from several of the people nearby. She couldn't help but agree; to find such unity after so long spent in conflict was a beautiful thing. And then to come together in the creation of something so magnificent...

"Gaia was born a mother, creating even as she formed. Creations of the spirit being not enough for her, she gave herself a material form, making of herself a home for all that was to be, forming a closer bond between creator and creations. And she was a loving mother to all. She wasn't doting, for she showed favour to none and allowed all to find their own way. But she wasn't harsh, either; every race was given the ability to flourish in its own way, and every being could feel in its bones that it was loved. Because Gaia was mother to them all, and a mother has a place for all of her children in her heart." Her mouth twitched into a little smile at that.

"In time, though, something happened to break this peace. No one knows exactly what caused the change--"

"Speak for yourself," Willow heard Jody muttering to Kate, but she barely registered it, so caught up was she in the story.

"--but whatever the initial cause, the result was a deadly imbalance. Fiodoir's influence over Gaia's creation began to increase, and with this increase came an obsession. Choosing one of Gaia's sentient races--humans--as its tool, the great being determined that it would weave a pattern over all. No longer was it content with the natural cycles and balances that its symbiosis created. It would transcend all of this, and remake Gaia's creation in its own image."

Willow gasped along with everyone else at the horror of this. It's awful! It's like, like your dad looking at you and saying, 'Well, you've turned into a fine young woman. But there are really a few improvements I'd like to make,' and then getting out his surgical tools...' She shuddered inwardly. She knew where the story was going, but forced herself not to think about it, just listen.

"At the edge of the darkness where the Triur still dwelled, bound together now around their child, Fiodoir determined that the first and most important thing to do would be to bind Dragan, keeping the being trapped so that Fiodoir's precious patterns need never be severed. It found it now a simple thing to entrap its peer, bound together as they already were. It skillfully wove the bindings, making the strongest prison ever imagined, and skillfully it settled them over Dragan. Before it realized what was happening, the fierce destroyer-being was bound in the shining threads of stasis. It thrashed and struggled to break free, but for every strand it broke its peer wove another. It called out to Fiain for help, but Fiain took no interest, having not enough coherence to truly understand the trouble. It demanded that Fiodoir should release it, but was given no heed. It beseeched Gaia for aid, but found Gaia strangely silent. The realization that it was truly trapped, possibly for all time, cut off from its peers, cut off even from its daughter, slowly dawned upon the great being, and it descended into madness; a deep, driving madness. In its madness, it found a new name for itself, and a new purpose: Truailliu, which means Corruption. If it could not free itself, it would attack all of its peers' creations from within, breaking the patterns, cracking creation, and ultimately destroying the power that held it captive."

The story was almost tangible, all around them in the air Willow could feel it, like she was immersed in the depths of a great pool of words and images and ideas. She looked to her friend, moving her attention briefly from tale to teller. Lit from behind by the firelight, Tara was like a soft shadow limned in golden fire. Her softly windblown hair was like a halo dancing gently around her head.

Like a goddess. The words came unbidden, and she could not have said, afterwards, if she had said them aloud or not. Certainly no one else seemed to take notice. Which was good, because what an embarrassing thing to suddenly blurt out about your best friend! No time to think... story's still going...

"Changes were occurring on Gaia as well. With the sudden shift in the balance, the spirit of Gaia found herself being drawn into a slumber, unable to take any direct action as Fiodoir's chosen people began to change the world. The cancer started out small and isolated, as cancers do, but it grew. More and more of the tribes of humanity were conquered by the new ways, becoming part of the conquering culture. They abandoned all harmony with the rest of the world, acting instead as though the world were something created to serve their needs. Their numbers swelled, and their influence grew. And always among them, hidden from their notice but never absent, the children of Truailliu--vampires, evil spirits, and even darker creatures--exerted their corrupting influence. In a last desperate act before falling at last to an aeons-long sleep, Gaia looked into the hearts of humans still untouched by the blight, infusing them with the power and spirit of other animal races, and in this way created her own children to fight the growing menace."

Oh, she means werecreatures, I've gotta remember to tell her about how I met some that one time oops she's still talking time for that thought later!

"But without the spirit of the great Mother to guide them, Gaia's children lost their way, and they couldn't stop the sickness. Humanity, having abandoned all previous traditions, found new ways to live. They began to build as their living-spaces great engines of destruction, which they called cities. These cities served Fiodoir well, for they replaced the chaotic mess of life that was to be found everywhere else with straight lines and corners, and began stratifying human society as well. No longer, the new city-dwellers reasoned, was humanity to be a purposeless collection of differing peoples with their own ways and values. There was only one right way; the way of the civilized. And everyone would fall into line and be better for it. It was simply destiny. And so humanity came to mirror the values of their manipulator, Fiodoir. Slowly at first, but gaining speed all the time, the world began to fall under the dominion of humanity."

After a momentary pause to let that settle in, Tara's voice continued, smooth and warm as honey despite the unthinkable events she was describing. "But the cities weren't just the hands of Fiodoir on earth. Looking closer, they were also the mouths of Truailliu. For every city--and there were more and more as time went on--had one commonality. Each city was unable to support its citizens on its own. Every one had to take from elsewhere, taking food and water and people and labour and culture from every land and people in its reach, always growing larger and always growing hungrier. This essential need of cities to grow and consume was the cause of the many forms of slavery, the slow poisoning of all of Gaia's children, and the rape and destruction of most of the world. The children of Truailliu thrived in the cities, and encouraged the many diseases of civilization--rape, murder, oppression, poverty, and wars so horribly unlike the wars we know as to be a different thing entirely."

Jody leaned back and whispered to Willow, "She's really in her element, huh?"

"Sure is," she whispered back excitedly. "It's like she's a different person... except in a way she's more herself than ever!"

With a wink, the older woman turned her attention back to the story. A bit bewildered, Willow followed suit.

Tara was in the middle of a sentence--Willow had missed a bit, talking with Jody. "-was certain, the only question being, would Fiodoir have conquest, making over all of Gaia in its own image, or would the victory belong to Truailliu, corrupting all of mankind's works from within and poisoning the rest of the world until everything collapsed and it was freed at last?"

Even though she already knew how it turned out, Willow found herself worrying about the outcome. Why? is she influencing us, or is it just good storytelling? As if on cue, Jody looked back and winked again, grinning. Ohhhkay, that was weird. I bet she does that on purpose, to make me think she can read my thoughts! Only how can she do it on purpose if she can't read my thoughts? Oops, story!

"But in the ten thousand years since the terrible unbalancing had set things onto this course, there had been other changes, and there was another story being told. Some agents of the two powers had grown disenchanted with the goals of their fellows. Some of Gaia's children remained, still fighting the cancer. And even among humanity there were many who went their own way, and they often found themselves opposed to the works and minions of the two powers. And among all of these peoples, prophecies circulated. Prophecies of a great apocalypse to come, in which all of the true powers on Gaia would take up arms against each other and decide everything, then and there. Other prophecies told of how to prepare for this time. In particular, some spoke of finding three people who were marked from birth with the symbols of the Triur--on one, the crescent moon, on another a spider's web, and on the third a spiral. If they were found and brought together, it was said, they would be able to restore the balance, bringing to each of the great powers what they lacked--for Truailliu, compassion, for Fiodoir, restraint, and for Fiain, coherence."

Willow suddenly realized that the tale would be over soon, and Tara would be very thirsty. It was hard to see, her eyes having been adjusted to looking toward the firelight, but she managed to hunt around until she found someone with a water pitcher and a spare cup who was willing to share. Filling the cup, she approached close to the firelight and caught Tara's eye.

The blonde shot her a grin, not pausing from the tale. Willow realized she had missed even more of the story.

"So when the appointed day came, and the great and terrible war for the fate of the world was preparing to start, the defenders of Gaia were starting to despair. Many were gathered to witness the first battle. Many others were preparing for the war. But unknown to most of them, the Three had been found. As the armies began to move, the chosen three walked onto the battlefield between them. And after ten thousand years of fear and degradation, the world was saved by a single embrace. The three that Gaia's chosen had gathered became one, and merged with the spirit of their Mother, waking her from her aeons-long sleep by becoming her consciousness. Gaia rose up, and every being on earth felt it in their heart. And the war was over, because how can you fight for dominion over a world when that world is vastly powerful, nearly omniscient, and takes a dim view of being ruled over? Perhaps even more importantly, the newly awakened goddess reached out to her parents and gave them healing, restoring the balance. And so the first age ended, and the second age--an age of peace--began."

Willow used the wave of riotous applause that followed (complete, she noted, with whistling and stomping) as a good time to rush up to her friend and give her the water. Tara accepted gratefully, drinking the whole cupful quickly.

"Thirsty work?" Willow asked loudly, trying to be heard above the din. She got a very emphatic nod in return.

"And it's really hot being this close to the fire... I'm sweating so much!" Nevertheless, the blonde's eyes were shining, and she couldn't seem to keep a grin off of her face.

"You're really great at this!" Willow enthused. "Have you done it before?"

Tara ducked her head a little, allowing a few sweaty strands of dark blonde to fall. "My mother and I used to sit together and share stories with each other--it was the best part of my days! It wasn't like this, though!"

"You shouldn't do that!"

"What?!"

"Hide your face like that, like you're afraid to be seen! You're amazing, and everyone who sees you knows it, so you've got nothing to be afraid of!"

Tara didn't say anything in response, but the crooked little smile she gave was thrilling. A bit put off-balance by the shivers that overtook her, Willow just smiled, too. A few moments later, she said, "I don't think you're going to get to leave the fire just yet!"

Indeed, the crowd's hearty accolade had died down, to be largely replaced by calls for more. Tara laughed and rolled her eyes, then leaned in toward Willow's ear and said, "Could you get me another cupful? I'm going to be even more thirsty when I'm done with this."

"Yep!" Willow darted out of the firelight, looking for the people she'd gotten the water from. A call from behind her drew her attention.

"Willow!"

Willow turned to see Tara holding out the cup. "You forgot this!"

Willow quickly retrieved the cup from a grinning Tara and started weaving her way through the crowd again. Around her the audience hushed, realizing that the girl was going to speak again. Willow caught Kate watching her with a strange, knowing smile on her face, and nodded to herself. I guess I am acting pretty oddly. I must be getting tired. Sometimes being really tired makes me emotional and weird, like that time when I stayed up for two days and ended up crying because I missed my dolls so much and I'd left them at home and how were they going to be cared for without me around...

She quieted her mind when she heard Tara's voice speak up once more, but kept on looking for a pitcher.

"Okay," her friend was saying, "We'll keep going, but when we get to the current age I'm done, alright?"

There was a general call of agreement.

"Okay, then. I said that the second age was an age of peace, and it was. With Gaia taking an active hand in the affairs of her creations, the world was a better place. Poisons were cleared away. Habitats were restored. The lonely feeling of something missing that had plagued humanity for so long was washed away, and people could walk abroad at night without fear of the dark creatures that had once preyed upon them. All was well for Gaia's creations. But all was not well for Gaia herself..."

Willow nearly stumbled right into the woman holding out a pitcher for her. "Sorry," she apologised in a hushed voice. "And thank you!" A fond smile was her only response. Willow filled the cup and handed the pitcher back to the woman, who barely noticed when she was given it, so enraptured was she by the story.

Tara has got to be cheating, at least a little, she thought as she headed back to the leading edge of the crowd.

"Gaia--the new, more human Gaia--wasn't happy. She had a massive love for all of her creations, and helping them in their lives was very fulfilling, but as the years went by, and then the decades, she found herself burdened by regret. She missed the more personal relationships that she remembered from her human lives. Sometimes she would project an image, pretending to be human in order to be treated as an equal, but it wasn't enough; she had to hide her true self in order to do so, and what good is a friend that you have to hide yourself from?"

There were many murmurs of agreement with that. Willow happened to glance over to her right and noticed Gareth standing nearby, tears rolling down his small cheeks. She took the few steps to be next to him, and knelt down. "Hey," she said, staying quiet to keep from disturbing anyone. "What's the matter?"

The boy sniffed loudly and looked at Willow with a deep sadness in his young eyes. He spoke in a quiet, grief-filled voice. "She... she must have been so lonely..."

Before Willow could respond, the boy had run off into the crowd. Probably to find his mother and be held, poor kid. She turned her attention back to the story once more, dutifully holding the cup of water in both hands and being careful not to spill a drop.

"As if that wasn't enough," Tara was saying, "Gaia found herself uncertain about the good in what she was doing. It was obvious that life for all of her children was far better than it had been, but she wondered if she might be doing them an injustice by not letting them find their own way. How that would have gone, no one knows, because after only a few decades the third age began, with the appearance of the first wound."

There was some brief clapping, which petered out quickly as people realized that Tara was just taking a breath before moving on with the tale. Willow held up the cup to show Tara, and was rewarded with a somewhat weary smile in return.

"Maybe it was Gaia's own troubles and doubts that drew it, or maybe it was just happenstance that brought it, but either way, the floating sphere of light that appeared at the site of Gaia's ascension changed everything. It was a wound in reality itself, a hole in the world. And it shattered the world's paradigm, tearing the world into various fluctuating zones of reality. Peoples' lives were at the mercy of whatever strange rules held sway in their zone. Gaia herself could not survive this ripping intact, and the three parts of her consciousness were torn apart and forced randomly into new roles, new identities in this strange new world. Fortunately for all of us, one of them was able to remember his previous self. Born into a harsh, cold place of oppressive society where people were given numbers as well as names, he was called Gary 2045536, but he knew that he had once been the part of Gaia that represented and completed Fiodoir. He remembered his love and duty for the world, and also the regret and doubt that Gaia's role had held. And he began to plan."

From back in the crowd, Willow heard Gareth's voice excitedly pipe up, "I was named after him!" This drew a chuckle from the assembled mass of people, and Willow looked back fondly, spotting the boy in Jody's arms, clinging to her neck as though for comfort. I guess he couldn't find his parents in the dark.

"Gary spent years studying the nature and effects of the wound, and researching and meditating upon the nature and effects of every zone's paradigm. Finding that the situation, if allowed to go on, would send the Triur into madness once again, he searched back through race-memories and planetary memory, trying to find a solution. And in time he did. Through various arts, he created another sphere, one he could control. With it, he brought the two spheres into harmony with each other and began calming the energies of the world, returning them to the way they had been in ages past, at the beginning of the first age, before the first great troubles. And when he caused the wounds to be sealed, healing the damage done to Gaia, what remained was the world as we now know it, as Gaia had originally intended it. There was no more need for a guiding hand, and so the spirit of the planet settled into the role she had in the start, that of a quiet mother, always there, always felt, but not interfering. The Three went their own ways in the world, freed from their burdensome destiny. People naturally began to band together into groups, into societies, and their views and beliefs and relationships with Gaia created what the world was like for them. And that was the beginning of the fourth age--the world we now live in, which can honestly be called the best of all possible worlds. And that is the end of my storytelling for today!"

The applause was, if anything, even more thundering than before. Tara left the firelight and eagerly took the drink from Willow's hands, downing it in one long drink. "Come on, let's go get some more back at the kitchen."

They made their way through the crowd slowly, stopped frequently so that Tara could receive praise and thanks and many hugs. When they finally made it out of the throng, they found their teachers waiting for them. Jody was still carrying Gareth, who looked like he was nearly asleep. She must be stronger than she looks--I could never hold a big kid like Gareth for this long!

"You've been holding out on us, girl," Jody greeted Tara with a big grin. "I've gotta get this sweet little guy here to his ma, but after that, you two want to meet at the library and celebrate Tara's first night out?"

"We made kolaches," Kate added.

Tempted by the idea of sweet pastry, Willow nevertheless knew that her friend was likely tired, so she looked to Tara to take the lead on this.

"Sure, that sounds like fun," said the blonde, tucking strands of damp, sweaty hair back behind her ear and smiling gratefully.

And so the women parted, to reunite later for an evening of laughter, fun, and sweet, fruit-filled pastry goodness. Walking up the path with Tara, Willow noticed she felt really, disproportionately happy. She checked carefully, but it didn't seem to be coming from anywhere but herself.

I guess it's just the story, she decided. Because Tara's right. We really do live in the best of all possible worlds. Right here and now, walking with my best friend, life could not possibly be better. It's just not possible.

TBC

Post subject: Re: 'Home is Where...' (updated leap day 2008)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:34 am 
12. Recently Gay

Dibs!

A beautifully crafted story for Tara to tell the community really puts their world in context for us. A very nice way to get around the exposition that would have been required to tell us readers what we need to know about how their world developed.

Quote:
Because Tara's right. We really do live in the best of all possible worlds. Right here and now, walking with my best friend, life could not possibly be better. It's just not possible.

Oh, oh! Willow just broke the cardinal rule that when everything is going well don't jinx it by commenting on it.

I still see troubled times ahead, I just hope that Willow and Tara are ready for it.

May your Muse keep smiling on you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:13 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for another great update-y goodness.... Tara really has a gift for storytelling... Nice for Willow to notice that being around Tara makes her happy...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:46 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Thanks for the update ... things are much clearly now that I understand the context (in terms of time). Great update! :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:48 pm 
3. Flaming O

Liked it before, like it now.

This world is really vivid to me.

M.

There's some more of my stuff over here: http://bonmot507.livejournal.com/

viewtopic.php?t=4929

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 am 
17. Mega-Witches

[center]Intermission![/center]

Rating: PG-13.
Disclaimer: Willow and Tara are not mine. Nobody's getting paid for this, and that's really just fine.
Notes: Just a little between-chapters fun.

Summary: The girls talk about the story so far.

Willow pushed the button on the remote to turn the television off. "So, what do you think?" She pulled her knees up and turned on the couch to face her beloved.

"Well," Tara replied, pursing her lips in thought, "I like it fine... but I do wish she'd go into your character a bit more."

"Oh, I know! She keeps putting me off. 'I'll get to it,' she says, 'just a few more chapters.'" Emerald eyes rolled in exasperation.

Tara shifted, turning so that she could prop her feet up on Willow's legs. "It's shameful, it really is. And honestly, I don't think you get enough dialogue." She flashed a little grin, her eyes sparkling. "I want to hear more of that sexy babble of yours."

After a few moments of distracted smiling and gazing, Willow recovered. "You know what's really awful? That hot leather outfit she had you arriving in? Never described! Not once!"

Tara looked thoughtful. "To be honest, Wil, there've only been two clothing descriptions so far in the whole story. She just doesn't seem to be big on talking about that sort of thing..." she trailed off, recognising the look in her girlfriend's eyes. "Oh, no. Don't do it, Wil."

But the redhead was already getting up. "I have to, Tara. The Kittens are missing out on the sexiness of that outfit. I have to use..." She paused for effect. "The red phone."

Tara watched Willow determinedly head for the table in the corner of the room. "Don't you remember what happened last time? You argued about how there wasn't enough subtext in 'Goodbye Iowa'..."

"Yeah, and they made me wear that horrible outfit next episode.... but this is different, Tara! Joss isn't in charge anymore. And the Kittens are responsive to our needs."

Tara couldn't hold in the giggle that caused, try though she might. After a few moments of confusion, Willow caught on and her laughter joined Tara's.

"Responsive to our needs... how many signatures do you think that quote's going to go on?"

"This story's readership isn't that large," Tara responded reasonably. "Probably none."

Willow winked at her. "Well, we'll see." She reached down to the coffee table and lifted the handset of the bright red phone thereon. Shooting the blonde a 'here we go!' look, she pushed the big red button on the phone.

"Hello," she said after a moment. "The writer of 'Home is Where...', please."

"Oooh, I like how you put the little pause in there to represent the ellipses," Tara enthused as Willow waited. Her response, a big cheeky grin, was interrupted as the line was connected.

"Hey, this is Willow. Yeah, on the red line.... Yes, I remember 'This Year's Girl'. What? Well, yeah, but that's beside the point. I have a complaint! Why haven't you described that saucy leather number yet? The one Tara came in with?" She listened for a minute, then turned to Tara, her hand over the reciever. "She says she didn't want to sexually describe us at that young age." She lifted her hand to speak into the phone again. "Have you never been to a Harry Potter fic site? Seriously."

"Mmm," Tara murmured loudly enough to be heard, "Emma Watson turns 18 next month, you know." She shrugged in response to the redhead's shocked look. "Smart girls are sexy!"

This seemed to placate Willow somewhat, who soon finished her conversation and hung up. "She promises full description within the next couple of chapters." She crawled back on the couch and leaned back against her lover. "Emma Watson, huh?"

"Go on, then," the blonde replied a little defensively, "tell me you've never thought about Hermione that way."

"That's beside the point, and besides," Willow replied quickly, "we're going off topic. So. Mary-Sue meter?"

"It's a little worrisome. Have you noticed that one of the main supporting characters is tall, dyes her hair red and has an eyebrow ring? Remind you of anyone?

Willow nodded. "Actually, though, I got the skinny on that, down at the water-cooler the other day. Turns out she was physically modeled on a girl in high school that the writer was particularly impressed by. And when she started, you know, transitioning, she sort of found herself wanting to express herself like that, too."

Tara wrapped her arms around the other girl as she thought about that. "I suppose that explains it. There's still the guitar and the martial arts, though."

"Yeah," Willow's response was a little mumbly, as she was distracted by cuddling closer. "So, some potential Mary-Sue-ity, but the meter isn't dinging yet. We'll see. Hey, Tara?"

"Yes Wil?"

"Wanna go try on that leather outfit again?"

"Anything for you, baby."

Giving each other meaningful looks, the two women headed toward the bedroom door. Just before she closed it behind her, Tara turned to look back out, and gave the audience a knowing wink.

"No cameras this time," she said. "You can wait a bit longer."

And, a naughty grin on her face, she shut the door.

Last edited by thiswomanswork on Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 'Home is Where...' (intermission added 3/9/08)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:13 am 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Hey Sera, sorry I missed so many chaps! and the 'intermission' as you put it that cracked me up :p
so far I adore this story!!

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:47 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great Intermission ;-) Story update-y goodness soon?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:39 am 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 4
aww, intermission? = cute.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 am 
5. Willowhand

You know, that was quite possibly one of the most clever things I've seen here. I love it. Insanely adorable! Oh, and I how I wish to receive a red-phone call from Willow or Tara. I might try to tick 'em off just for that! :) Maybe next update I'll be remiss in my Tara's-blue-eye detail and get an earful from Will.

Shoot, I wanna behind-the-scenes of your intermission!

Thanks again for this. So nifty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:18 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

They are so sweet. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello Sera :)

I had forgotten to write a feedback :blush :blush :blush

I am wondreing, when are we going to be in this age? Soon enough I hope.... Not because it seems perfect, but because we'll get to have Tara stories :)

That was wonderful for Tara. Not only did the diner go nicely, but then she managed to tell a story very well, like she was made for this.

:)

Oh cute the "best friend" thing. :)

And oh nice is the Intermission ^^

All in all it was really nice.

Again sorry for the latenes, I totally forgot :blush

((hugs))

Julia :)

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)