The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Naked Truth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:01 am 
Title: The Naked Truth

Rating: Well, it'll get under the sheets eventually (thus the title of the work of fiction), but for now, in its story development phase, there will be no mistakable signs of naughtiness. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that it would be right-off jollies. Oh, no, my friend.

Distribution: Why not? But if you could tell me first, that would be king.

Pairings: Ah, see, what's the point in reading this if I tell you what's going to happen?

Disclaimer: The characters depicted in the following work of fiction are the property of Mutant Enemy and Joss ( I wonder if that's short for Joselyn?) Whedon. If they were mine... well, a haven like this would not be needed.

Summary: Willow is forced to take on the facade of a 18th century prince of surrounding England territories. Thereby acquiring all the functions and requirements for such a position.

Note: As far-fetched as this tale sounds, it wasn't as uncommon as one would initially believe. I did quite an extensive research project on the topic in the spare time that inactivity allows for, and found that there is much truth to what I am attempting to write about. None of the facts in this story are entirely fantasized, all based on fact, and undeniably interesting. This is my first fic, writing, posting, thinking, so definitely give me some constructive feedback if you feel so inclined. Also, I have the story in my head, and a few of the chapters written down at present, but I know that having people expecting updates (if the story is well-received) then the updates will be regular. Enjoy!

******** Chapter One:

“Sir William. Your father wishes to have words with you immediately.” breathed a tall man, dressed in semi-fine linens of cream and gentle maroon. Upon hearing no reply, the man looked up where he felt sure his quarry would be perched. Sure enough, the form of a small body took shape nestled among greenery and the limbs of an old apple tree.

“Sir William, I see you up there, now come down and accompany me to your father’s throne room.” the tired and bored sounding man drawled out.

The just barely visible spot of fiery red hair answered back, with a slightly less practiced brogue, “I don’t know why you’re calling me that, Peter, or why you need company to visit the throne room. But if you’ll stand by the way, I’ll be down shortly.”

The man nodded curtly, with a, “Very good, Sir.” muttered under his breath. Before he could but look up, his charge appeared as if fallen from the sky, no worse for the wear and with the occasional bramble sticking out of a disheveled mop of hair.

“Shall we?” the red head asked in mock politeness. Peter shook his balding head, and stepped aside for his young master to lead the way.

“Tell me, Peter, all day I have been addressed as nothing but ‘Sir William’ or just ‘Sir,’ and needless to say I find it rather disconcerting. What is the meaning of it?” the shorter of the two asked with two innocent eyes peering upward.

Peter took a moment to think before answering, “What else would you have us call you, sir? William is your given name, and you are the heir to his majesty’s throne. Sir William the Fourth of surrounding Northern England.”

The red head seemed utterly perplexed and looked as though a question burned to be asked. In a moment, however, it was quelled or internally answered. A look of total frightened understanding passed the freckled features before turning into a more sedate dread. The two continued on in solemn silence for the better part of the journey.

On entering the palace, the smaller faced Peter and inquired as to how it was that he knew where to look for the young prince. Peter answered without the slightest hitch or hesitance, “It is one of your old play spots, sir.”

“Old?” the child asked curiously as they came to the door to the King’s throne room.

“Your father waits, sir.” Peter stated flatly before signaling for a guard to open one of the great doors.

“Very well, Peter. My thanks.” The child said with no emotion, while entering the finely decorated room. The walls of the chamber were decorated with myriads of beautiful works: Persian rugs, the finest Parisian paintings, generations of family portraits, and glistening coats of armor, all so splendid, it was impossible to look away. The room was more of a hall than a chamber as it was elongated, presumably to enshrine the King for a look of godly presence.

The child’s eyes roamed, growing larger with every pass of the surroundings. Savoring each flavor of a room infrequently visited, arms swung carelessly around the midsection, as the small red head drew closer to the little known father.

“It isn’t everyday that I have the opportunity to see father. What fortune I am having! I saw him but yesterday and yet again this day! Although, the circumstances under which I saw him were less than savory...” the child thought breathlessly, remembering the sorrow-filled yesterday, and swallowing what threatened to be tears. The Queen had died. Both mother and father had been elusive at best for the child, but upon the Queen’s death, the red head wept furiously. Frustrated with the futility of living one’s life for her people, as the Queen did, only to die because of them. The Queen visited many places, furthering the King’s land and allegiances, and it was on one of her journeys to visit the townsfolk that she became ill, and took to fever shortly before her death.

“Ah, here we are, very good. Leave us!” The King demanded with no excitement. He too was suffering from the loss of the Queen, but unlike his off-spring, his eyes were clear and concise. Once the servants, attendants and scribes were gone, the King began, “William,” he cleared his throat uncomfortably, while re-situating himself on his seat, “Plans have been made for your education. No more of these days spent amongst the trees. You are to be spurned in the fashion to which every king before you has been accustomed. Your tutors will attend to your questions as they have been instructed. As to your schedule and what is expected of you, Peter is whom you will direct your questions, although, I assure you, what is expected of you will be made clear soon enough. As for myself, I am certain only the best will come from you, William. There will be no problems with this. I’ve no time for your questions or uncertainties, so limit them, William. Better yet, do not have them. I have told you what it is that you need to know, do you comprehend, William?”

The child blinked once before straightening bravely and answering, “Yes, your Highness.”

At this the King’s attention was snapped into action, and staring down at the child standing straight in the middle of that great hall, the King added with an under-current of urgency and importance, “You must not call me, ‘your Highness’ any longer, William. I am your father, address me as such.”

“Thank you, f-father.” the little one answered, faltering slightly on the word never used outside of internal monologues, nor ever hoped to use.

“William, a prince does not stutter. You may go.” with a wave of his pampered hand, the King dismissed the young and confused prince from his presence as easily as he would a common gutter bitch.

Bowing to her father and King, Prince William the Fourth, formerly Willow, Princess of surrounding Northern England tried desperately to keep from shaking as she straightened to leave. Holding back the tears of confusion and pain, Willow made it to the great door which was opened by the standing guard, not with some difficulty. Mechanically, Willow made it through the door, where she saw Peter waiting for her.

After the doors to the chamber had been closed, Willow looked over toward Peter, who now, had his head bowed in subservience.

“Do I yet have time to rest in my chambers, Peter?” Willow asked feeling the numbness threaten to engulf her.

“No, sir William. Your lessons begin in the upper study as soon as you are able to attend them.”

Willow nodded. “Of course,” eyes blank, thinking calmly to herself. "I can't absorb this now, it must wait. Until I am alone. Until I have the freedom to sort through it all." she thought desperately. Willow followed Peter up the stairs and into a well-lit room of good size, where books lined the dozens of shelves on every wall. There stood a desk to the right and one large table on the left. A man was seated on a stool beside the table and on seeing Willow, rose to his feet swiftly to take an urgent bow. This was all very confusing. Willow knew of etiquette, and therefore knew that this behavior only solidified what she dreaded was happening to her. Only a prince was regarded so carefully. Only a prince was tutored in subjects other than knitting and etiquette. And yet here she was being formally bowed to by her soon to be tutor. Everyone had called her ‘sir’ this morning, and she had finally registered the gravity of her situation. She had never been formally introduced to court, which was unheard of for the daughter of a powerful King who wished for allies. A girl of her nine years would already be betrothed to a suitable ally, and well trained in formalities.

Only her mother had ever referred to her as ‘Willow’, and anyone else who had reason to address her by name called her ‘Will’. She remembered the many subdued arguments with her mother over the cutting of her hair. Her mother had insisted on its boyish shoulder-length cropping, while Willow enjoyed it long and free. Not once had she been scolded for wearing the breeches that a boy of her age and status would wear. In fact, she had been told to wear more than a few of the items that she frequently wore by choice. It occurred to her that while all of that preparation for this day had been done all along, the final steps, the tutoring, the address of the King himself, the referring to her as ‘sir William’, all of that was done after her mother’s death, and most likely, because of it. So maybe that meant that her mother disliked the idea of Willow playing such an unfair cog in the wheel of her father’s schemes, but could do little to stop it. Thinking this gave Willow a boost of pride in her mother, and the strength that she needed to push aside the numbness that had begun the settle in on her, and with clarity, addressed what was necessary. She would be the best Prince of surrounding Northern England that she could be. She would impress her father, out-wit her tutors and prove herself, even if she needed no one’s approval. With a look of determination, she sat in the desk, looking straight forward, asked, "Where do we start?"

Tara will be making her entrance in the next entry, although the two do not meet for some time. If angst isn't your thing, then I'd advise waiting a month or so before reading it for the under-cover action.

Hoped you liked the beginning, and the story line. Should I continue?

Mary

Edited by: WitchFu at: 2/20/05 7:04 pm

Post subject: Re: The Naked Truth
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:36 am 
Hi there :wave

I really liked the beginning of this story and I hope to read more of it in the future :bounce

So Willow has now become William... I wonder why the king decided to make his only daughter his "heir" almost since the day she was born. He couldn't have any more children and wanted to protect his throne and make sure that the heir to the throne was of his flesh and blood?

I feel a little sorry for Willow... It is tough to have to spend your life hiding parts of it from others. On the other hand I, for one, would hate to be a woman in the 18th century :eek

Now I'm curious to read about Tara :bounce

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die.

The in between is mine.

I am mine!" - Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:19 am 
Please continue! :pray

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:36 am 
Good points, all. I hadn't actually considered the aspect of the father choosing AT BIRTH. I'm sure I'll work something believable out...

Thanks for reading and commenting. For the moment, I think I'm going to set the pace as a new entry every other day. I have a few ready to go, but on those days when I just don't have time, I don't want to leave anyone hanging.

I was really nervous to post, I mean, why should I? I don't consider myself a good writer. (so, by the way, if you can think of any tips to offer, I'd be much abliged... that came out really cowgirl-esque. *Ahem*)

Is there a way to change my original rating on the story? I didn't really think of that last night when I rushed this out. (so I wouldn't lose my nerve...)

Well, thanks again for the comments and your time.

G'night

mary

Post subject: Re: hmm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:02 pm 
First of all ignore what you've been telling yourself...You are a good writer. Not only did you do research but that was also well written. So we'll have none of that. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to more. :clap

As for the changing your rating you will need to hit edit on your first post and you'll beable to click one of the radio buttons at the top where the ratings are at, and it'll show up on the board.

As for some suggestions you might want to put a space between the paragraphs. Yeah it takes more room but it is easier on the eyes. Hope that helps.

-wiccanbotanist

A sign seen in a botanist's front yard: "Please keep off the Bouteloua gracilis"

Sugas mea papilium (Suck my butterfly) - A Woman in Uniform by umgaynow

Post subject: Re: hmm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:08 pm 
You're working with an original storyline that I find very interesting, simply because there are so many ways the story can play out. As for suggestions, I don't have any other than the one Wiccanbotanist has already given. Anyway, I look forward to reading more whenever you decide to post again.

Yvonne:peace

Post subject: Dee Dat Da Doo, Chapter Two
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:11 pm 
********** Chapter Two:

Far from our maiden/prince of England...

The castle-home of the King Francois Boussard was vast in its repulsive display of wealth, as all castles are, and boasted a treasury of far greater value. The people of the French countryside would never dare to mention to the King or any of his dignitaries how much they disliked his habitual surplus to requirements.

With the largest portions of land, the greatest treasury, and the most tactical invasion positions in his continent the King had nothing to worry about for his future plans, save where to build his next castle. He knew that no ruler in their right mind would attack such a large and well-funded army. And although there were no shortages of insane and overly ambitious dictators, the soldiers assigned to set foot against the French army deserted.

The King ruled with efficiency that some would call tightfisted in all things save his own personal finance. His prudence for the wealth allowed to the people was spoken of on many different continents with both regard and contempt. His subjects lived in nearly abject poverty at all times, and he preferred it that way. It kept his treasury full, and to any visitor a grand palace would be quite the sight. A splendid castle that outshone anything for one hundred miles made the beauty all the more endearing.

The long corridor that stretched out beyond the princess’s chambers did so with the ease that comes from large proportions. The sounds therein echoed on each wall or crevice and the tall ceilings did little more than keep out the rain and it was easily imagined that the sole purpose for their erection was for arrogance.

As the princess stood under the soaring arch that led to her chambers, she sighed again in gentle frustration. All she could think of was that any girl in her state of affairs would be overjoyed to stand where she did, and she herself felt nothing but apprehension and vulnerability.

She was to be educated. That is, at least, what they had told her. She had known better than to hope for as much, being well aware that educating a woman bordered on heresy. She was told little other than to have her accouterments packed and ready to journey for her ‘education’.

It was more than obvious that her father was stalling for time. “He knows he has the most eligible daughter on the continent, I dare say, in the world. He’ll send me off to make myself useful in exchange for the freedom to set about choosing the best match.”

Her jaw set, and her skirts firmly griped by delicate hands, Lady Tara began her journey toward whatever may come, being quite used to having no control over any aspect of her life. She hated the subservience, the domesticity. She wanted to be able to want. To feel what she truly felt and act upon it was more than she could ever hope for. “I am my father’s land. He will find the best price, and sell me without remorse. Onto a life where I will still lack the ability to think for myself, and also have to serve the pleasures of my husband-King.” That thought, while sending uncomfortable sensations to her already disgruntled stomach, was not overwhelmingly different from the others. She was still to be a well-dressed slave. Nothing more than a bartering tool for the massive sport of land-purchase was she, refined, but not encouraged to think, well-mannered but dissuaded from all speech.

This was to be her life, and whether it was keeping still in bed, or using the proper utensil while dinning, she was to serve out her sentence regardless of task.

On the carriage trip to the harbor, Lady Tara sighed as she looked out the windowpane to a home that she had never really felt ‘at home’ in, and would quite possibly never see again. The brief valediction that she had shared with her parents had to be expected, and yet it struck a part of Tara that she had forgotten she possessed. They were uninterested at best that their only daughter was to be leaving for an indeterminable amount of time, after which she might well be betrothed to the young man of her father’s choosing, never to return to the castle she was raised in. She loved them, detested them; wanted to please them, wanted to run from them all; wanted them to love her even as they barely noticed her presence.

The house drew from her sight and as it slipped behind a high hillock she turned to the interior of the coach. Her eyes fell first on the serving girl, scared and quite in the farthest corner from her lady, the brown hair and doe-eyed youth understandably dreaded the oncoming journey. “She undoubtedly has a loving family at home that she will miss, and who will miss her terribly.” Tara thought with more than a little sadness.

The woman next to herself was to accompany her through her studies, having been learned in them all at an earlier stage in her life. She was much older than Lady Tara and, having never been married, spent the entirety of her life in scholarly pursuits and to the training young maidens for their futures as the brides of kings. She sat ramrod straight, with her hair unfashionably pulled tightly to the back or her head where it stood at attention in a strict bundle. She kept her eyes forward and slightly downcast as she explained the up and coming requirements of the day-dreaming princess.

“You are to be conditioned with the ut-most propriety in the ways of an exceptional young lady. Those studies include sewing, etiquette and the mannerisms of a gentile lady. A wonderful class in the quiet leisure of painting and a daily music lesson where you will further your education of the clarinet and vocal applications for future entertainment.” She had said all this with a calm enthusiasm, for wasn’t it the dream of all young ladies to be properly conditioned and then sent away to be with her king?

Her voice was mild and well-controlled. The accent put on every syllable was so well executed that Tara was sure this woman was partially constructed like a machine. Her own voice, though without training, was gentle, and unassuming. She carried the accent of a French princess who had been taught the English language at a young age. Whenever she happened to say a particular word that she had always had trouble pronouncing, her companion would flinch as if struck.

This woman, who had been introduced to Tara as Madame Flockton, actually believed that one should feel privileged to be requisitioned for the position as bride to a king. While Tara didn't abhor her position she continually questioned its significance. She felt sorry for those with allusions as to what the life of a princess/queen really meant. She understood that starvation could naturally be much more painful and harsh than that of a 'noble born', and she wanted so badly to help those who needed it and would accept it, but she knew that her role as mother to the people depended directly on whom her father chose to be her suitor. She knew that the most likely winner of such a contest would be a man from a country with great prosperity, and prosperity to her father equaled the control of its peoples and monies. She disliked how her father dealt with his people, like animals, there for his own uses. And she feared being paired with someone of the same mind.

It was unavoidable, the man whom she was destined to marry, but how she then handled it would matter greatly. She disliked the idea of using manipulation for her benefit, but she thought rather thoroughly about what ways she could manipulate her future husband-king into letting her help the people of her lands.

Tara's gaze returned again to that of the serving girl opposite of her. She studied the youth with much interest. She wore her clean, though untended hair down, and it reached well past her mid-back. Her face, pink from the scrubbing she had most certainly received before departure, was withdrawn and subdued. She couldn't have been much older than Tara's own 12 years, and her thin frame was clothed in a shift with a tie at her waste, tights covering the legs. This, of course, was the tactic used by her very own Mme. Flockton. Making the serving girl look like an unappealing androgynous server, made Tara all the more royal. Tara again wondered at the girl's lament. Was she leaving behind a family? A beau, perhaps? Maybe she simply wasn't told what was to be expected of her, and she feared the worst. This brought Tara's mind to the idea of servitude as opposed to nobility. She hated the idea of being superior to another human being because she were spurned from the loins of the victor of wars long ago played out. What made her better than they, the people of hers or any other kingdom? Nothing, and she refused to be caught up in that preposterous game of believing anything against that.

This girl had done nothing wrong, and yet, she was torn out of her home, taken from her companions and those whom she loved, knowing nothing of what was to become of her for the ridiculous reason of being at the princess's will and command.

Sighing again with frustration and helplessness, Lady Tara leaned back into the seat of her coach. She was to be 'educated' until the victor of her father's affections was found, this, she was told, was to be expected to take two years at the least. For this she was untellingly grateful. She had known she would never be ready for a loveless suiting, but the knowledge that she was to have two additional years, soothed her. She didn't feel like she was ready to be anyone's wife, or queen. She was twelve, and she knew that most princesses of her age were already betrothed or married. She would be fourteen when wedded.

How much older would she be emotionally by that time?

Sorry it isn't long...

"Will Work for Replies"

Mary

Post subject: mhmm...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:26 am 
very interesting...

a prince Will with Lady Tara...very interesting.

Please continue!

photographer02

Post subject: Re: Dee Dat Da Doo, Chapter Two
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:36 am 
Hey :wave

This is cool. :sheep I used to read stories like this when I was younger, lol and usually end up kinda angry at the guy marrying the woman, cos he'd usually be all cocky and arrogant and acting like he was all better and smarter than the woman, which pfft as if. :eyebrow

Okay, rant over. :p I can't wait to see where you take this! :bounce Willow seems like an adventurous and nice 'prince'. And Tara seems like the nicest, kindest, most sympathetic princess. :) Will they marry? Or will one of them marry someone else and it'll be all angsty? Heehee Tara thinking of how she can manipulate her future husband. :D And if that said futere husband is Willow :laugh can't wait to see her try to manipulate Willow.

Liv :sheep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:10 am 
Well this is an interesting fic. Definately not one that I've seen before. So Willow is really William the prince?! Poor Willow...don't know if I'd like that too much or not. But now we have Princess Tara, who could maybe become betrothed to Prince 'William', and then they can live all happily ever after and love each other and have lots of little babies and whatever. Definately can't wait to read more of this.

"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die...it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:16 am 
Wow an interesting fic and seems to be panning out to be a long one too :bow So Willow is a Prince ;) and Tara is a princess I wonder where this is going :laugh that isn't the question though the real mystery is the journey not the destination.

Can't wait for more

Silent :bigwave

It's like I can't breathe, It's like I can't see anything, Nothing but you, I'm addicted to you

- Kelly Clarkson "Addicted"

Post subject: All these replies are great! Tomorrow I update!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:01 pm 
This is the part where I say thanks and answer some questions that my fic has brought up.

First off:

~Sabina: Your "I wonder" statement should be answered in chapter 4. But essentially, if you knew that it was difficult to get your wife pregnant in the first place*, when she became pregnant, there was a very good chance that would be a one time thing. In fact, when prince's were born, the announcement was made almost immediately. When girls were born, they often weren't even known of until the age they were to be mated. So it wasn't all that fantastic that our William the Third wanted to keep the lid on the news of a female birthing.

*In the days of kings, it was surprisingly difficult for royalty to bare children. I imagine it was for one of five reasons.

One: They were sterile because of inbreeding.

Two: Denial. They were gay. I mean, have you seen the outfits? Shall I even mention the wigs?

Three: Sterile from promiscuity, as venereal diseases like syphilis could and usually would lead to sterility.

Four: Improper diet, so low sperm count.

Five: Sex was almost shameful even in marriage. There was almost no physical contact (as will be explained in following chapters) so there was no stimulae, and if there was, it was embarrassing and very wrong feeling. Not very conducive to the vertical dance.

Yes, women had it tough in the eighteen hundreds (today %50 of professional women are paid less than men for the same or more difficult job), and yes, it would be tough to hide something like that from the few people that she knew. Considering the fact that she hardly knew anyone at all to begin with, I imagine the secret would be only one of her difficulties.

Thank you so much for your input!

~Brandnew: Don't plan on stoppin'.

~Wiccanbotanist: Thank you so much for the encouragement! And the advice, I changed the last update, and I'll be easier on the eyes from now on, promise!

~onyxsundrops: Thanks, I've always been interested in the whole misunderstood gender deal. In fact, I have another fic like this one where Tara is the one who must hide behind the guise of a male, but for protection, and it's in the ol' west. But essentially...

~photographer02: Glad to know you like it!

~Still Waters T: Oh, there will definitely be plenty of angst to go around, and then to have left-overs.

I know what you mean about the Prince and Princess stories. Poop on them. Sometimes it's hard for me not to be all gloat-y about being a girl, and girls are better 'cause guys suck for so many reasons. I try to be open-minded and not all guy-hating. But it's like junk food. So, so tempting sometimes... (Also, men's sperm counts have been declining ever since they started recording them. By the year 3050 (yeah, they have a while), they will all be mostly sterile.)

~stillrunning: Well, I don't know about the babies part... maybe I'll work something out

:hmm

~silentinformer: Thanks, I update tomorrow.

~Wiccanbotanist: (the second post) Thank you again, you're going to make me full of myself

:blush

Yeah, the whole French thing. Not that much different from being Irish (which one assumes because of her surname in the series). Besides, it was her dad in the show that gave her the last name, not the mom. So maybe the mom was French? She doesn't look very Irish anyway. I'm not, however, going to give her the historical attitude of a French princess. At the time, France was THE place to be, THE place to get your cook from, THE place to model you furniture style after. She would have to be full of herself and country. Not to mention, undereducated and uncaring. So, no that's not for our Tara.

People had to grow up quickly in the days when "old and about to die" was 40. So yes. Also, Tara is level-headed. Wise might come later because of the level-headedness. In the show, her character seemed so put together. I wanted to hold onto that.

Haha, yeah, your midlife crisis at 25... funny:geek

Ok, have a good day all.

mary

Edited by: WitchFu at: 2/21/05 1:04 pm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:08 pm 
I wish I had a large enough vocabulary to tell you how much I really liked that update in as many different ways as possible. But I guess I'll settle for "That was excellent." You seriously are an excellent writer. Your descriptions are amazing and I love your writing style.

There are some elements that I haven't read before in fics but I am very intrigued about. Tara is French. At first I was a little weirded out about that, but then I got over it. Just because it is a little different that what I'm used to doesn't mean it is bad....in fact it is nice to see things from a different angle.

It is nice to see Tara very wise about her situation, understanding that it is how things are done but wondering how to work it to her advantage. However we have only seen how she analyses things in her head things may play out differently. As for example I think that I have very wise thoughts in my head too but it doesn't necessarily come out as such when I verbalise or put it into action. I guess what I'm trying to say is Tara is very wise for her age.

And speaking of age. Being married at 14? That is a frightening thought indeed. But then again that is how things worked back then, especially since you'd expect your midlife crisis around 25 (actually I haven't done the research so I don't know the exact figure). But I think you get my point. Or I hope you get my point....

Right my point is...it is a very nice fic and I can't wait until the next update.....

-wiccanbotanist

A sign seen in a botanist's front yard: "Please keep off the Bouteloua gracilis"

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Post subject: Re: All these replies are great! Tomorrow I update!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:26 pm 

I'm a little bit late to replying to chapter two so hum... ah... sorry... :blush

Yeah... you are right... there were a lot of reasons for infertility on the 18th century and well it is also true that the child mortality was also extremelly high so I guess that explains Willow position in life as prince William. I liked your wigs and clothes theory... eh... I had never thought about it that way :lol

Still you have to agree that since there were no tvs or the world wide web out there, people had to do something to entertain themselves besides hunting and eating... and that should help the birth rates. :kdevil :lol

Ah... yes, I know that women today are still regarded as inferiors by a large part of the world's societies and that even in the so called developed countries women and men are still treated differently. But things are getting better :grin

Anyway, now to the story.

I felt sorry for Tara even though I know that what is happening to her is what probably happened to most of the noble women. :puke

Hopefully the prince she will marry will be able to fulfill all her wishes :grin :kdevil

The in between is mine.

I am mine!" - Pearl Jam

Post subject: Re: The Nake Truth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:02 pm 
Very intriguing setting and certainly a set up for a unique meeting of :willow and :tara though the journey will be a difficult one. Both of them are pawns of their families. There is certainly historical precendent for women becoming men to rule from Queen Hatshepsut of Egypt to Queen Christina of Sweden. Though they were both know to be women they dressed and rules as men for the most part. Great start and look forward to the rest.

Post subject: Ooh Bah Pah Dee, Chapter Three
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:40 pm 
************ Chapter 3

Willow walked at a slowed pace to her father's throne room. She hadn't been given the reason as to her requested presence. She had learned to take orders without qualm, but not without thought. She had grown very keen in her silent observations, her training seeing to her silence. Such a meeting had not occurred for nearly five years, and it struck her to think the number.

She had not seen her father, not seen anyone, save her tutors and sevants, in the entirety of her production as prince. Few knew of her existence, and fewer still knew of her secret. The dark secret of this castle, kept behind closed mouth, and eye. Being unknown to king and kingdom held quite the advantage. Princes of her age were flaunting about the coutryside, wasting time flirting and acting cavalier. She had much more important matters to attend to, and was most certainly grateful for the relief in such sport. She had often pondered the idea that seeing as the only people who knew of her were in this castle and a few selected kings had heard wind of the secret prince, if she were to disappear, there would be no one to miss her.

As she approached the guard to her father's hulking chamber doors, her appearence changed as fluidly and as unmistakably as the guard who shifted his weight to free the door.

Her posture became the definition of perfection. Her chin level with the ground, hair trimmed precisely to the line of her jaw, with a bored look immovably placed on her features. Her creative hands, who had penned for hours the comely frustations and wonderous beauties of the world that she had seen to paper, were held strictly while seemingly relaxed at the lower of her back. Her stride was that of sureness and pride. No wide-eyes of a child scanning the room with excitement. Only the faux-proud and taught line of the young prince's sure stride.

Reaching the base of her father's throne, she looked to the old man nearing sixty, and inclined her head respectfully. The king looked tired, too used to life with its nuisances. Peering down at Willow, the king conceeded a smile, which was soon quelled.

Clearing his throat, he croaked, "Turn about, William. Let me see thee."

Clenching her jaw in faux exhasperation as she was taught, Willow lifted her arms out to her sides, circled once, before returning to her aforementioned stance.

A strong silence eminated from the young prince. Many years of sports and achedemics had fashioned her into a taugh whip of underlying power and witisism. She excelled in every challenge brought before her, never givng voice to complaint. With striking determination, she mastered the disagreeable task of horseback riding. While she distrusted the beasts, she was the cleanest cut figure on the mount, surpassing even the best of tutors. She read almost non-stop in her spare time, leaving her so well prepared for her lessons, that oft times, she discussed rather than learned during her study sessions.

She had an incling about what her father had in mind to discuss with her this day. She was nearing sixteen, and soon she would be introduced into court. When exactly that was to occur, was to be the topic of this meeting.

"William, my boy, you are nearing the age to be properly shown to the world. A man of society should produce himself by this time, and I think you ready. Your birthing day approaches on the fourth moon, and I am even now making arrangements for your unveiling. In a grand ball of magnificent proportions you will be introduced as William the fourth Prince of Surrounding Northern England. The guests will be numerous and very influential. Many of whom will play a roll in the future of this kingdom. I needn't stress the import of your perfection."

Stiffly, Willow answered, "Of course not, father."

Again the king smiled, this time grimly. "Good, good. You may go. And William, remember my words."

"Father." Willow inclined her bow as she stepped back to retreat from his lordship. Exiting, and out of view from all, Willow sighed and lossened her muscles. A smile appeared on her freckled face, making it considerably brighter than it had been in her father's sight.

"A ball! Dancing! There will be so many people there! More than I have seen in a lifetime..."

She felt the urge to dance on the spot, and this reminded her of a very comical dance that someone close to her did on occasion. He looked as though he were trying very hard at it when he performed it, never failing to bring a smile to her face.

She remembered their meeting, also a comical affair.

(*FIVE YEARS EARLIER*)

"Archery?" the young Willow quiried. She had just ended a confusing first lesson of english, when she was told her following lesson would be archery.

"I shall be permitted to weild a bow and quiver?" she thought, delighted at her newly found adventure.

She followed Peter out to a courtyard, prepared with standing targets, rows of equiptment, and a tall, broad-shouldered bearded man. A few of the leutenants of Northern England's army were there, though Willow knew not of their rank, practicing their skills with dull "twang"s sounding out over the yard.

The tall man stepped forward, hard-faced and serious. He bowed slightly to Peter, and with even more rigidity, to Willow. A low gravely sound emitted from the man's lips,

"Gracious Prince, I am Alexander of Harrisburg, Captain of the Archery division in your father's fine army. I would be well-honored if you would accept me into your service as instructor at arms." As he stopped, he did not rise, his head lowered, body bent, he remained completely still.

Willow didn't know what to do, but she did know that she would have no problems at all learning from this striking figure of a fighter. Without thinking, she cleared her throat to assume the basso that she thought up to use, now that she was to be prince, and answered,

"I would have no other for the task, Captain Alexander of Harrisburg." And with that, she bowed to him slightly, hoping maybe this would make him straighten.

Peter sucked in a great amount of air, and the captain did straighten, but with a strange unreadable expression on his face. Willow was smiling proudly, although she did wonder at Peter's raction. The captain's knitted brows came apart abruptly before looking to Peter.

"He shall soon know his place and actions, Captain. In that mean, take him into your instructions, and teach him well."

Peter left without looking to Willow, and she wasn't sad to see him go. She didn't understand him, but she was to be shown the way of the bow! Looking to the Captain again, Willow beamed.

The Captain gave a puzzled grunt and motioned with his head to the tables behind him.

"Come, young prince, today you learn an art!"

Something in the way the man regarded and spoke to her, assured in any part that he was to be a good man to know. A fine, stong teacher, who would prove wise and capable.

The table that grew in her vision was spread with well-made bows, all of different lengths and thickness, the strings were of different make than the uniform hide-strings. She hadn't seen weapons this closely before, and was awestruck at the power she saw at a glance. She reverantly ran her fingers over the smooth wood of a nearby bow, as her eyes scanned the table hungrily.

She wasn't sure how long she had been looking when a noise distracted her thoughts. Out of the corner of her vision she saw the Captain turning towards where the sound had registered. She saw the tail-end of a very clumsy fall, the remnints of which were strewn bows and the small body of a boy.

The Captain sighed greatly as he looked to the spectacle. He walked over to the pile and picked out the boy, standing him up with the sure grip of his mighty-looking arm. As the boy was set down, he dusted himself, giving Willow the time to look him over. The dark blonde hair of the lad was shagged, too short for nobility, too long for pesantry. His hawk-like eyes

spoke of his affinity for mischief and trouble-search.

The Captain cleared his throat with purpose. When the boy did nothing but look dumbly at the strewn weaponry, the older again cleared his throat before baratone shook his larnyx,

"Wouldn't you like to introduce yourself to my newest charge, Prince William?"

The boy looked up in surprise, but there was something in his eyes that Willow and never seen before: laughter. His eyes shown, smiling with them as though they held a secret. He bowed in a friendly way, not at all scared our starched like everyone else did. His actions were relaxed and easy. He cleared his throat in mock dignity before proclaiming,

"Tis an honor to meet the great Prince of our land. I am called Alexander." With a wink he added, "The 'of Harrisburg' is reserved for my father."

The captain cleared his throat uncomfortably before addressing his boy.

"Back to your chores then, son. You've quite a work load this day."

Alexander looked up with a woeful expression, obviously not looking to his work with any enthusiasm. As he stalked off, he gave Willow a final 'bow with a wave attatchment' as he would later come to coin it. He also shook his head free of the dust that had been resting among his hair. She looked on in surprise as the hair slowly revealed itself to be of a deep-brown or black color.

Willow's day was becoming too interesting to absorb. Archery, an interesting young man, what possibilities these things held!

As Willow's presence of mind returned to her, she smiled at the thought of that meeting. The idea of finding a friend hadn't crossed her mind before. How was she to know what one was? She was separrated from everyone or her age completely, with only the occassional person to 'talk to' that was decades her senior. Her books became her companions, her studies became passions. She learned to soak up new information with such a lust that her tutors would quite often stand agape as she grasped the information far sooner than they had. (though they were likely not to admit such a devastation) This had been the commonplace for so many of her years in the castle, of the years of her existence, that at times she was caught off-gaurd by how many years had actually accrued. She had decided on that day of change so long ago not to look at who she was, but what. Her role in the kingdom was all that mattered to her father, or anyone, who was aware of her. She was used as a tool, vowing to be a spectacular one. There must have been a reason the only thing that sepparated a prince from a price was 'n'.

The gift she had been given, the gift to serve her father, her people, was staggering at times. She knew she would do her best, and occassionally wondered if a woman would be up to the task. For all of her years as an excelling champion in her studies, while knowing full-well that she was a woman, she was still subject to wonder at her own ability. She was, afterall, barraged with the idea that women were far inferior to males, as everyone was, and it took its desired effect. Of course, there were infamous female rulers such as Mary Queen of Scots, but they were all so vilified, it was hard to see any good. The anxiety lasted only seconds as she consolled them with the remembrance that she was only the front, the viewed end of the kingship. She would make no decisions, rule over no one but herself, and even that was subject to the king's demands.

Despite her fears, her day of test was in the beginning stages of its planning. All the world was to know of her now. The unexpected, secreted prince of a powerful country was a commodity worth bargaining for. She knew herself to be no more than a commodity. But was that not the place that she was born to? If she had been raised to be a "woman" she would have no power or say. It was no different in this path. Seen, when the time was appointed, but not heard. Even when she ascended to the throne ( a thrilling thought even in its pointlessness!) she would not have command of any activity in her kingdom. She would only be the pupet to her father's strings. It could be worse as she often thought. She could be forced to wed someone that would dominate her physically as well as mentally. Due to her position, when she was to marry, her bride would never see her, never talk to her, and certainly never preform any marital requirements.

The meaning of this, however, was not a pleasant one. Her mind would often not allow her thoughts to dwell on what was to become of the woman she was destined to marry. In order to make the heir legal, a true descendant of kings, her father would take the duty upon himself to impregnate the vessel, Willow's Queen. It sadened her that she, herself, would never know love, but more that her queen would also never know it. Forced to bed her husband's father, her husband mysteriously unsuitable.

She remembered back to the first conversation she had had with her favorite tutor on the subject. She had never thought of the idea of being bound to another girl in holy matrimony before. The idea shocked her at first, her realization dawning on her with curiously undisturbing conotations. She was to say "I do" to another woman! A catholic priest would unite the two women in the eyes of god himself!

"Giles, what if she finds out?" She exclaimed excitedly to said tutor, panick seaping into her voice. She had started calling him thus after finding out his birthplace. Giles, Northern England. "What if she is to see me changing my clothes? Or worse still, bathing!"

Willow had worked herself into quite the fluster. This was all too much. Giles cleared his throat, in slight discomfort with the topic as he tried to answer, "Well, I suppose she'll-"

"She'll write a correspondence immediately to her family and the throne of Northern England will be no more!" Gasping at the implications, Willow started to pace briskly.

"Now, Will, I hardly think-"

"We'll be hung!" Non-plused about the address, as they had reffered to eachother so familiarly for years, Willow had cut him off once more. "All of us. No one will be spared, not you, not even her! All will be assumed to have known and contributed to such a heresy! Oh, Giles, what are we to do?"

Giles stood up and caught up to her frantic pace, stopping her with a gentle but firm hold. "Think rationally about this, Willow. Have you ever heard of a kingdom having a girl for a prince?"

Willow frowned in surprise, not expecting the question, "Well, no, of course not. No one has-"

"Of course this has been done before! There have been too many times to name where a young person of the royal house took up the identity of a needed role to keep things running smoothly. But you never hear of such things because they do not want you to.

"Your father is the most powerful man in the whole of England. In the whole of Europe if the world knew of you, England's 'prince'. But all that can be destroyed by a sentence. The woman whom you are to be wed with shall be scrutinized for any behavior denoting her knowledge of your identity. They will not hesitate to dispose of her, should she prove aware. Besides all that, you two will nary see eachother from the moment you are officially joined, on. Your fears are not justified, Will. Calm yourself."

As Giles summed up, clearing up any question of her marriage, Willow slowly sat at her desk and resumed a normal breathing pattern.

The knowledge that she would be wed to the Princess of France was quite obvious to anyone aware of her existence. They were, by far, the most powerful and influential countries in the known world. No others stood on even remotely as solid ground as that of France and England.

The question as to what Willow's father thought about such a union was still under speculation, however. No one doubted the power that would come from such a union, but the power would be shared, and neither king would be pleased with that. The union to a smaller country meant control, especially to William the third, whose son would have command by marriage over the princess of that land. Thinking on this, Willow spoke up, "How many years would you say the Princess of France had?"

Giles mused a moment before stating slowly, "I believe she has twelve years to your fourteen."

Willow fought back the urge to gasp. Tara would be her age right now at the time of their marriage, if they were indeed to be wed. She would probably be scared to death. She knew that she, herself, would be frightened. It was not as though she was unaware of the common age for young girls to be given in marriage, but the idea, putting herself in that position brought the reality to frigid clarity. The day would be defining for both kingdoms. The most powerful marriage in many years.

Once again, finding her thoughts wondering, Willow's presence of mind came to. The ball would mean meeting all the possible mates for her kingdom. She was instructed not to shut out the possibility to even one of them. She would be told to flirt with them all, while keeping her dignity and making no room for misunderstandings. The night was looking as though it was to be the singularly most complicated, frightening and exciting night of her life thus far.

Sighing, Willow made her way toward her class in refined etiquette. Wesley was a vision of gentlemanly quality, complete with high-pitched yelps when scared. ( a discovery Willow made with the right timing and insect) He was so fascinated with himself that Willow had oft avoided many lessons that she already knew better than he ( but for which he would insist on teaching at any rate because he would always know more than her) by simply mentioning a rare looking book of his, or perhaps his wonderful apparel. But on to class she went. This would be a very busy lesson, seeing as she now had the ball to prepare for. Her veins were electric with excitement. The ball. Her steps were noticably light and brisk. "I hope my french is adequate." she mused.

Note: I realise that the implications of the last entry would denote that Tara is older than Willow, but such is not the case. My appologies.

PS: Willow and Tara meet in the next installment.

mary

Edited by: WitchFu at: 2/23/05 2:50 pm

Post subject: Re: Ooh Bah Pah Dee, Chapter Three
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:43 pm 

Yay, a new chapter, a new chapter :banana :grin

You know it just struck me in this chapter how lonely and empty of hope Willow's future really is. She works really hard to be the best prince that she can knowing that she'll never have love or even power.

At least from her point of view that is. There is always the possibility of her father dying and in that case she'll become the king. :kdevil

And that part about Willow's father making her wife pregnant... ah... I suppose it probably happened a lot since people haven't always regarded relationships the same way we do nowadays... but just the though of a sixty-something years old man being with a young girl, who is in fact married to his daughter, like that upsets my stomach :puke

I'm quite curious to see how you'll lead Willow and Tara to being together... things aren't looking that well for them now :bounce

More soon? :pray

The in between is mine.

I am mine!" - Pearl Jam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:15 pm 
Great update! :bow I can't wait for when Tara and Willow meet...update soon please :pray

Have a life... just don't forget to bring a towel!-Me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:33 pm 
I think i missed the last update but now that i've caught up (I think since i may have not missed the last update :hmm ) Anyway loved this update revealed more of Willow's inner thoughts and Her sort of naivety and childlike tendencies at least in her own mind. Although she doesn't shy away from the facts of her life and station and what is expected of her either. Promises of their meeting in the next update only lead to beggars who want it now and i am no different :bow :pray :pray don't torture us :laugh

More soon please if you will it

Silent :bigwave

It's like I can't breathe, It's like I can't see anything, Nothing but you, I'm addicted to you

- Kelly Clarkson "Addicted"

Edited by: silentinformer  at: 2/23/05 7:35 pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 pm 
Wow, is this cool! So cool! I can't wait until your next update when they meet... Prince William. Yaynesse!

I got bitten by a drunk lesbian! Does that mean I'll turn into one?

~my friend Mary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:03 pm 
I almost missed this latest update. You really should think about posting in the update thread so that I won't miss another update again.

Love the update. Yay we finally get to know Giles! That was very adorable and very Willow-y her reaction to getting married. And love this quote:

Quote:
"I hope my french is adequate." she mused.

:drool ...sorry I got a mental image of Tara tutoring Willow in a bit of french....

Can't wait for the ball! Update soon.

-wiccanbotanist

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:41 pm 
I love how you brought up the fact that a Catholic priest would be legally marrying two women in the church...I was wondering about that when I read the last update and figured out that Willow and Tara were OBVIOUSLY going to be wed. I definately found that fact slightly ironic.

Anyways, this was a great update. When you first brought in Alexander of Harrisburg as this great warrior I was llike 'yea, right'. But then you brought in regular Alexander and fixed it. I love how klutzy he is. It's nice to see that he's not any different around Willow because she's the 'prince'. Same with Giles. Their interaction was great!

"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die...it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive"

Post subject: Sorries all around
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:49 pm 
Dear readers,

My apologies, but when I wrote the next chapter, and consulted with my love, she pointed out a few inconsistencies. So I'm in the process of rewriting. It'll therefore be a bit late, and I'm sorry. Hope you're not too disappointed, and that the chapter will be worth it.

PS: Thanks for all the feedback and great comments, it does mean a lot.

Mary

Post subject: Re: Sorries all around
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:01 pm 
I'm glad that consistency is important to you. I look forward to the new and improved update.

I got bitten by a drunk lesbian! Does that mean I'll turn into one?

~my friend Mary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:55 am 
This is so very original. You make a good argument that making a prince from a princess may not be as unheard of as we imagine, at least in this story.
Quote:
Have you ever heard of a kingdom having a girl for a prince?

The dichotomy of the situation, of how officially Will and Tara will be married, but those in the know will want to keep them apart, for their own "good", as Giles says
Quote:
you two will nary see each other from the moment you are officially joined
Having said that, if it is true that princesses have become princes and married other princesses, then 2 princesses together in love is not beyond the realms of belief in this world, no?

What worries me is the thought of what needs to happen to get an heir. I can't describe the mountain of ick that I feel when I have to think about that. *shudder* Can't they do a spell? Are they magical in this story?

I console myself with the anticipation of finding out how they met, how they fall in love (they will fall in love, right?) and the sneaking around they'll have to do to get into each other's bed. How fun!

------

quiet thoughts

Post subject: Feedback for feedback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:36 am 
Hey all,

Almost finished with the fourth chapter. Thanks for your support and suggestions (even the inadvertent ones).

~sabina: This is definitely a winding fic, there won't be many easy outs for our girls. It does seem a pretty desperate situation. But then, many people suffer untold agonies from even the smallest of infractions. We shall see how they handle it...

~Brandnew: Thanks for always bringing the love!

~silentinformer: Yes, I plan on going into quite a bit of internal dialog type stuff. I like analyzing actions for their root-thoughts, it makes a more complete story, I think. And again, I'm sorry for the wait...

~Tempest Duer: Wow, that's quite a bit of excitement there. Didn't know I could influence like that. hmm

~Wiccan Botanist: You got it, I'll post in the update thread, but my apologies if that's something that I forget... hehe, I'm a forgetful Jones sometimes...

~stillrunning: I'm usually not that low-handed, but I guess my distaste for the catholic church is showing...

:blush

~hidden watson: The same thought occurred to me. If the government can hide things from us now, they most certainly could have done as much and more when they were revered for their lineage and wealth. Their power and ultimate control could have led to any number of unknown truths. For this reason, I claim this story's accuracy whether or not it resides in any volumes of history on the shelves of dusty bookcases.

Well, c'est fini.

mary

Edited by: WitchFu at: 2/28/05 9:38 am

Post subject: keetee bowt da door, chapter four!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:53 pm 
A note before we begin:

I didn't address the use of magic in this fiction, as I'm not certain what to feel about that at the moment. I don't know how this story is going to end. I'm lucky if I know what the next chapter is going to be about. But there doesn't have to be herbs, because "There was plenty of magic," without them.

----------------------------------------

The Naked Truth Ch 4

Tara sat in front of her vanity. The wood was precious mahogany with rich lines running throughout. Its drawers held beautiful brass handles, the finest in the country. Tapered legs ran smoothly to the floor lathed impeccably, intricately.

There was nothing in her room that Tara despised more. In defiance, she had swung the in-laid mirror to face the wall. It only reminded her of just how much wealth some lived in while others starved in the streets. Why couldn't her father see that? Why didn't anyone see that? Was she the only one to question the wallowings of the rich?

As she straightened, stretching her tensed muscles (as little as she was allowed to posses) she thought again of Marie. Not more than a month after her voyage across land and sea, did Tara finally prove to the timid girl who had been brought to serve her that she truly only wanted her friendship. Understandably, Marie had every right and inclination to question such a proposition of one in power, but Tara persisted. They began to talk, their conversations delving deeper each night into the secrets that they had shared with no one. The friendship was forming quickly as they both needed a companion more than anything.

One night, Tara decided that it was time, and asked the woman as to her family.

Marie looked uncertain, almost not answering, but the words slowly made it out, shakily, in somewhat impoverished French. "My mother died of the sickness more n' a month past. And my small brother came sick just before I was summoned to leave. I fear I shall never see him again." she sobbed, head bent, shoulders gently shaking.

Tara leaned closer to lay a comforting hand on the girl. "Oh how I wish to be active in that fight. If it were in my powers, I would see to the best care for your brother, and see you sent to his side through his recovery. I would make it that your whole family was spared from the plight. The whole village and province would know no sickness. But I have no more power than you in the workings and forces of my father. I watch as he constructs superfluous castles and rooms that will never see use. Watch as he lines his fingers with jewels of the starving people. Watch as he toasts his finest wines in crystal and pure golden goblets. I watch, but I do not smile."

Tara found that she could speak freely with Marie. They were close enough that the stutter that had plagued the blonde all of her life fell away in their conversations. Although, when the Madame had first encountered it, she looked little better than sick. She had proclaimed that her "malfunction" would be rectified by the end of this term. Tara sighed to herself her rare sarcasm peaking out, if it was that easy, why didn't anyone tell me?

Tara had secreted a few of her more costly jewelry (her distaste for the ornaments more than obvious to those who knew her) to a shop that would give her a price without mention. The money she placed in a cinch, giving it to Marie on the night after their conversation. At first Marie was hard-pressed not to accept, but Tara insisted, reminding her of the brother who needed her there with him. The money would pay for her journey home, knowing that no one else would provide for the passage, and good care for her brother. From there she was to choose someone who would not mind in the least an opportunity to serve the princess. Tara hated those words, but she knew that she had a role to play. She would never be mean to any of those in her charge, but the question still plagued her: "What makes me better?"

The years went on, and Tara found herself in the most fantastic of places. She had visited wonderful works of art and architecture. Acquired books that dazzled her imagination, solidified her beliefs. She had learned the activities put before her (for that's what they were, activities. She would never use them as a trade) painting, instruments, etiquette; all with the boredom and distaste as she was instructed.

There was a time that she was to learn to ride a horse! But when the time came and the Madame saw the saddle she was to mount, Tara was certain that her mistress was going to faint.

Her english improved, as will any language with much use. She used her native tongue only with the serving girl provided by Marie. Her name was Janette. She was haughty, and at times, very difficult to live with. Tara did not find the companionship with Janette that she often missed of Marie. She wondered how Marie had gotten along through the months and years they had been apart.

She found that politics was not the mystery that she was originally led to believe. When she had asked the Madame so long ago, she blushed, waving a prim hand in front of her face with a mixture of fear and confusion. Tara did not ask again. Instead she listened to those who discussed it. Running away from her dwellings to roam among the people of the quarter, listening in, and beginning to understand. She knew then, that the best match for herself and situation would be if the king of England had borne a son. Alas he did not, though there was talk enough of a mysterious birthing that happened long before the queen's death, that no one knew for any certainty about.

Of course, people of the town always had some sort of half-truths running around to keep themselves occupied. What other entertainment did they have? The drink was costly to belt and head. If your boss saw you in an inebriated state on the job, then he would cut you off immediately, and you spent the money for food on your vice. It was a wonder to Tara how all of the people kept smiles on their faces. How, with all the starvation and doing without, all of the uncertainties, did they stay happy?

She wanted so much to talk to them, but she was always behind in the conversations of others, so she knew better than to attempt one of her own. Assuredly, a royal French accent to their Italian (for that is where she was at the time) would start another set of rumors that she knew would reach the ears of her Madame. Although, she knew not how her Madame managed to know and find out about so much, seeing as she would never lower herself to be among the peasants of the town. Little matter as it was, though, Madame could and would not punish her if she were caught mingling with the common folk.

Sighing, Tara replaced the brush onto the vanity top, and placed her hands on each side of her seat thoughtfully. The floor beneath her was frigid, the tediously laid marble quieting any movement Tara or her robes could have made. Her chambers were expansive in all directions, and the effect always left her cold. The late daylight streamed onto her bed, her studies would not commence again until later that afternoon.

As she turned Tara choked back a gasp as sitting serenely on her bed, her Madame bade her attention with a sturdy gaze. With her hands resting delicately on her lap, and every aspect of her garb in perfect order, the thought struck Tara again that this woman was extremely well-disciplined. A wave of pity hit her as she looked on toward the woman whose life was forfeit for the sake of her role. Just as Tara's own life was indeed forfeit. The only job that this life required of her was to bear the children of someone that she could never hope to love for a means that she found no goodness in.

Madame Flockton made a movement for her pupil to sit beside her, drawing Tara's errant attention. Tara sat down, looking at her hands that wrung and fidgeted in her lap. Her long hair cut off any outside influence as her bowed head brought the tendrils forward. She disliked letting her Madame down, but she so wanted to know the people! To walk among them and soak up the knowledge of them, the wisdom and understanding. She was sure that could be the only reason for the Madame's premature visit, studies weren't for an hour yet.

The tutor shifted and cleared her throat softly. Tara swept her hair behind one ear, facing the expectant woman. "Tara, I have just been informed of very wonderful news, indeed. We are to attend a ball! Now, all that I have shown you must be strictly adhered to at this celebration. The future of your kingdom is held before you, and we are all trusting that you are ready for the challenge."

Tara was initially shocked. She had never attended a formal ball. Her father had given specific instructions for Tara to stay by while he arranged her development into societal knowledge. Her Madame would not have informed Tara of this lest her father had told the tutor himself. So, indeed, this ball must be important. It must hold more than one of the prospective suitors for the French crown. She looked to ask a question, but the Madame seemed to know its content,

"Yes, the king himself sent word to me, and on swift shoulders. This ball is most unexpected. The host is none other than the Prince of Surrounding Northern England!" she finished with breathy excitement. Her face had color that Tara didn't believe could be there. This woman was impenetrable. The news did hit hard, at any rate, and Tara was certain that she had heard wrong.

Madame explained, in all of her delighted gentility, lacking all brevity, that the king of England has sent cordial invitations to every suitable princesses and allied princes; befriended dignitaries and trusted house royale members to attend the ball that was to be the grandest yet imagined. Grand enough to present the world with the king's only and secreted heir to the throne of England, Prince William. They were to leave on the morrow to England, their invitation had specifically pressed they come immediately.

On the journey over, Tara was pushed and shaped with unwavering persistence by her Madame and assistants. They tested and prodded, belted and taught endless amounts of etiquette. There was always room for improvement, and nothing would be improved enough.

The journey lasted a fortnight, having set a fairly brisk pace at commencement.

Madame was noted to speak endlessly about the mannerisms and customs of the English. She thought it scandalous for a prince, of what she assumed to be coming years, to never have had any experience in social activities. But, he was the heir to the second most sought-after throne in the whole of the civilized world, and that spoke enough for his qualities.

----------------

The night of the ball was steadily approaching. Each day, Willow's training became more rigid, her time entirely consumed in perfecting every movement, each glance and smile. She was being taught how to be someone else. How to glide into a room and spend hours talking to people without letting them know who you were, just as they would be.

Guests began arriving four days before the ball. Every party announced as though they were the guest of honor, and prancing from their carriages as though they believed it to be so.

The castle, enormous and proud, seemed to batten down to bare the added occupancy. Its once endless hallways, now brimmed with excitement and activity. Preparations, guests, extra serving hands, all too busy with their individual affairs to notice any other.

The proclamations of the new arrivals became fairly regular. Willow had grown bored of the tiresome reviews in her manners and gentility. She escaped to one of her best spots of surrender. A place where, when she could not stand it one more bit, she would retreat to, surrendering to her instincts for peace. It was a high rising tower of sorts that looked out over the countryside. Not a soul bothered to reside in a good as abandoned armament of the castle wall. Its once strategical overview of the countryside now served for nothing other than phallic symbol of power. Never the less, Willow would find herself there, enjoying the fresh air that the height allowed. She may have lived in a rich environment, but anywhere you went tended to smell like the nearest stable. One gets used to it, of course, but she preferred the scent of open air and nature. She would lay on the grating bricks to gaze at the stars, or stand and watch the people of the town.

Today, she was occupied with watching those who arrived at the gates of her father's castle. It was almost like spying, seeing how each individual party would depart from their carriages. Some with grace and dignity, noses firmly pointing to the heavens. Others would exit one limb at a time, arm first, leg, other arm, torso, leg and remaining body. No matter how they chose to leave, however, they all acted as though the entire kingdom was in attendance to watch them, holding their breath at the excitement of it. Almost as though this was giving Willow a peak into who these people really were, she watched them enter the castle as if returning home victoriously. They were all so comfortable in their own elegance, as though anything less than the best would poison.

Willow stifled a yawn. The days events had been less than savory. She straightened to leave, certain that the greater portion of the guests had already arrived, when another carriage appeared around the farthest corner. She debated with herself whether or not to bother to stay and watch. In the end, her curious nature won the internal battle. Leaning on the edge once more, Willow peered down into the courtyard, holding her head between her hands in resignation. The carriage that sprinted up the yard appeared just as many of the others had, in fashion, hurried and with the royal emblem of that house.

Willow examined the flag closer, trying to define it. She had been versed in the house emblems, and knew most on sight. This one bore the insignia of the French King! Willow sat up now, breathing with more conviction. This was the one, the most prospective match. Willow leaned over to get a closer view, concentrating on the exit pattern of this one with extra care.

It was the individual limb departure. Willow sighed, she had hoped for more. She didn't know what, however. What could she expect? No doubt the princess of such an influential house would be honed to perfection on style and grace, actions and etiquette. She would most undoubtedly be of the same mind as everyone else seemed to hold to. They were rightful leaders, they were untouchable, worthy, simple-minded and wonderfully boring. But then something caught her eye, another lady leaving the coach. The actions of this one were not like the others, practiced, yes, but not self-assured. She wanted to know who this young woman was. She was late for her studies, and though she would not be directly punished, she knew that lengthy talks of how she should act of what is expected of her was sure to come from extreme tardiness. She would see the lady at the social gathering for dinner, at any rate. What had she planned to do if she had the time? She couldn't very well talk to the lady with no other pretext then conversation, not until the ball at least.

Romping down the flight of stairs toward the study, her hair flying behind in unseemly and not common happiness, Willow smiled. There was no explanation for her sudden wave of joy. She linked it to the impending adventures of social life, and thought nothing more of it. That is, until she felt a tug at her head, heart and curiosity. Should she have stayed to study her prospective bride more thoroughly? Was it best that she did not, so that any judgment she made as to the caliber of her was not based on her country's standing? No, it was better yet to make no judgments of any kind. What she supposed of the ladies put before her would be of no matter.

Stopping just before the main hall, she seized the wall of the corridor and peaked around the corner. There was much commotion about the latest guest, servants moving in dizzying circles of action. Willow bobbed up, down and to the sides to keep out an eye for her query. The lady who had first exited the carriage was obviously not of royal descent, her garb now seen from this distance was that of higher servitude. The latter-

Willow tore her gaze from the direction of the party. It was of no concern and her decision to abstain from judgments had been made. There were more important things to worry about right now.

"Ah, Willow. I have been searching this grand castle for you all of this after noon. Tell me, why have you dismissed our lessons?" Wesley had found her. She was doomed to an after noon and evening of boredom.

The hall was still bustling with people and activity since the last party, and she had to struggle to keep a straight course to the study. Wesley at her side, and talking as was the norm, they made their way through the hall with only the occasional lightly whispered exclamation.

Willow, being the only person finely enough dressed to be royalty and not recognized by any, fit the description perfectly for the alleged Prince of Mystery, as she was beginning to be referred to as.

All was loud and boisterous in the hall. Upon entering the study, only Wesley's endless monologue droned on. She spent the after noon in that room with repetitive lessons and quires, but she was not there in her mind. Her thoughts drifted to tonight's affair.

The dinner was to be the first gathering of all invited guests. She knew that Xander was to be there, which helped ease a few of the butterflies currently residing in her stomach.

Xander was the name that Willow had inadvertently coined for him. They had become fast-friends after their initial meeting. His good humor a respite from the rigid life of a family royale, and her genuine interest in him, helped to aid his nagging insecurities. They bonded over the first few weeks, and when archery was no longer instructed, merely practiced, he would assist her on the field where they could speak privately.

Though she had wanted to tell Xander of her true gender from the first moment of their friendship, she had not.

She wondered why it had been so hard, now, looking back on it. But never the less, he lived in ignorance of it for some time.

They played tricks on each other often, and Willow should have caught the gag immediately, but as it was, her thoughts were on serious and pressing issues, not the likelihood of a well-aimed joke.

Xander tumbled into her with force, breathing heavily, and knocking them both to the ground.

Willow felt herself haughtily question his actions internally, before swinging to face him. He looked ill, will pain etched in his features. Her mood changed effortlessly as she examined him for wounds. There on his left arm was an arrow, piercing the meat of his arm clean through. She gasped and straightened to aid him, "Alexander, what has happened to you? Your arm! There's an arrow!"

She chided herself for stating the obvious before Xander spoke up. "Will, it hurts. Don't-" gasping in pain before finishing, "leave me."

Willow's eyes narrowed in affinity. "I won't Alex. You'll be alright, you'll see." That's when she noticed the slight smile that played on his face.

Looking up, his smile widened as he spoke, "I know I will." And with that he lifted the fake arrow that had been creatively attached to sleeve as the smell of raspberries hit her nostrils.

Willow threw him from where he half-rested on her lap, getting up with exaggerated frustration, Willow couldn't even think of anything to say in her defense. She began to stalk away just as something caught her foot. Again, she found herself on the ground at the hands (literally, this time) of Xander. Her lightweight chest plate had shifted to cover her face, and while she struggled to free herself, she shouted with animosity, "Alexander!"

All that came out, however, was "-xander!" From that day on, he would only permit her to call him that. "Sounds regal," he commented with his goofy grin in place.

He was to serve at the dinners and finally at the much-anticipated ball. Though she would not be allowed to speak much to him during the affairs, his mere presence would ease her anxiety.

Her apprehension was driving her mad! And she hoped above all that she would not disgrace her father.

------------------

The announcement that dinner was to be served in the adjoining room came not nearly as quickly for some as they would have liked.

The guests had been socializing in one of the smaller conversation-designed halls. It's high ceilings made for a look of reserved grandeur, while leaving enough space width and length wise to speak of his volume. The drinks had been served immediately and with plenty to go around. People were beginning to find their comfort with each other, though the anticipation of the Prince's unveiling still held fast in the air.

Tara was nervous. This was not her first social engagement, but like everyone here, she was anxious to see the young prince. "Well," she corrected herself, "he won't be young to you." She had tried, unsuccessfully, to block thoughts of marriage from her mind. But that was the point of this ball, and her fashioning, or her life: to marry, and bear children. It was likely that this mystery prince was the very husband her father had in mind.

The lords and ladies that moved about her, did so with a mixture of distaste, envy and curiosity. They were invited, but how many of them would seriously be considered for the throne? And those who were not possible mates, were there for the conversation and reaction factor. In other words, little or no importance. It was a wonder that so many attended. But the first look at the Prince of Mystery would be salve to any wounded pride.

As guest and garcon entered the dining hall, Willow stood behind the curtain that sashed the main doors. Her nerves were at their breaking point, her hands shook and her mouth was dry. The people looked so at ease, where was her ease? "It will be in its chambers for the night." she mumbled to herself.

"Sir?" Peter asked with little patience. Willow had forgotten that it was his duty to stand no more than five feet from her at all times on this occasion.

"When will we be adjourning to our respective chambers for the night?" She uncertainly asked, trying to salvage her peace.

"Oh that will not be for some time yet, Sir. Your presence and manners are due here, and I would advise you to keep you thoughts on that alone." His gaze never left that little spot above her right shoulder, attributing to his subservience, but it always seemed as though he were the one commanding.

Sighing, Willow looked out to the table once more. It happened too fast for her as she heard the clear blast of a trumpet and a low bellowing of her title and name. Peter nodded to her, and in her panic, all she could think was, "What on Earth is he agreeing to?"

Peter's stern look of admonition, spurred Willow into action. Remembering her training surprisingly well under the pressure, Willow let go of who she knew herself to be as she took on the personality of a prince of her station. Seating herself, nodding to those who asked for acknowledgment, Willow was no where to be found.

-------

Tara, in that mean, had watched the procession with growing disquiet. The prince was no different from any that she had had the 'pleasure' to meet. "Why should I have expected any different?" His gait, clothes and demeanor denoted a thoughtless, spoiled young prince, well aware of his station and influence. There was, however, something in his eyes as he turned toward her once which was causing a strange burning in her chest. Something told her that not all was as it seemed. That was the reason for her discomfort. He was different, she felt it, and it scared her.

-------

The dinner was going well, Willow was guiltily relaxing into her role, and those who she conversed with seemed to be enjoying themselves. She wasn't comfortable with the idea that, just as fake as she was being to them, chances are they were more practiced at just that.

The table was longer than Willow had remembered it to be from her brief glance as a child. Everyone seemed, now filled well with spirits, to be jovially talking over the great things that England would be doing now that it had an heir, the greatness of their individual countries, and what would come of their union.

There was one lady that took her attention from the Earl of Glusclouster. While she had been enjoying their conversation on tithes from the clergy of Glusclouster being used to fund the noble horse care, her gaze was drawn to the inaction of one lady, quiet, wine glass full, with a rather distant look on her soft features.

Waiting for an opportunity, Willow interrupted the Earl to inquire as to his knowledge of the unique woman. The earl laughed with hearty movement, answering in a nearly-drunk slur, "Why, that's the Princess of France! Don't you know your own bride?"

While the glasses and goblets filled over and over with brandies and wines of delight. All emotions wavering, faked and practiced, only two at that lengthy table of glut and dishonesty shared the same feeling of disbelief and fear. The Royal Princess Tara of France and Prince William of Surrounding Northern England met in gaze for the first time among the chatter and raucous laughter of the subhuman culture of the wealthy.

Ah, sorry. I know I said "meet" but I didn't disclose what definition that would intimate. Hope you enjoyed.

mary

Edited by: WitchFu at: 2/28/05 12:17 pm

Post subject: Re:keetee bowt da door, chapter four!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:32 pm 
heeeey!! i loved the update. i think this story is a new fav for me. It was hilarious when the Earl mentioned Tara as 'William's' bride. i could hear the gulps.

update in the next week or so i hope?

Shandem

Willow: I was trying to program in some new puns, and I kind of ended up with word salad.

Post subject: Re: Re:keetee bowt da door, chapter four!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:36 am 
Tara's generosity towards Marie shows just how far ahead of her time she is, that she can take a personal interest in a serving girl and give her so much. I'm very happy for Marie.

Willow spying on the arriving princesses and their carriages is so cute. Actually I'm thinking she gains a lot of knowledge by watching.
Quote:
The Royal Princess Tara of France and Prince William of Surrounding Northern England met in gaze for the first time
I'm thinking ahead, will Willow fall in love with Tara as William the Prince or as Willow the woman? The reason I make the distinction is that in historical times, I'm not sure if the concept of homosexuality is even recognized, so Willow may not even know of its existence. So when she finds herself enraptured by Tara, as she sure will (yes?) she may think that it's her William side rather than herself. And the realization and journey that follows will surely be an interesting one.

Likewise Tara, if/when she finds out about her husband's secret, will she still feel the same?

Sorry if I'm jumping ahead, or if I seem like I'm trying to pre-empt you. You've painted a thought-provoking universe that's makes me wonder, that's all. Well done.

------

quiet thoughts

Post subject: Re: Re:keetee bowt da door, chapter four!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:20 am 
This is a really engrossing story, thank you for beginning it, and may it continue for many an update :bow There's so much texture, so many factors all at work - Willow and Tara's feelings, their social positions, the demands on them and how that's all affected by Willow's secret, and on top of that what might happen when Tara finds out the truth, and... so much to think about. The idea of a priest marrying the two in an official ceremony has got me grinning from ear to ear, though :D I loved reading about Tara's subtle defiance of her expected station in life, engineering Marie's return home, and Willow and Xander's friendship. And Giles, and of course Wesley - nervy scholar Wesley is always good for a giggle :lmao

So, doing my best to fit in at court, may I humbly bow and entreat you to do me the honour of allowing me... wow, talking like that eats up time :) Could I please host this story on Through the Looking-glass ( alia.customer.netspace.net.au/glass.htm )? If so, and you'd like an email address to go with it for feedback, you can email me at alia@netspace.net.au - if you'd like the story to go on the site but not with an email address, just say so here and I'll handle it all. Please? :pray

Thanks for writing, and I'm looking forward to more :clap

Chris Cook

Through the Looking-glass

A Willow and Tara for every world.

Smut Bunnies!: Saving the world, sexily!