The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Caged Angels
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:23 am 
This is an interesting story, please continue! I am telepathically sending you creative vibes (completely innocent creative vibes of course :whistle )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:00 pm 
Thanks for sticking with the story. Update coming shortly (possibly Tues, but hopefully sooner)

Chapter Thirteen Feedback

Special thanks to all of the readers/responders: Cameron; Chris; The Rose24; Pam; Gina; Southernworm; Kim; Grimmy; Blayne; Rei; Ashleigh; Tempest Duer; Trashxmyxheart; Amazonaa; Irishgrl3; Ker Shmuckit; Willow Fan7; Stillrunning; and Ultimatecouple. If I’ve missed anyone (I don’t think I have) just feel free to kick me.

I understand that a lot of this story is confusing and I continue to add more questions without answering many of them, but bear with me. I know how I want to write the outcome of the story and even though I’ve changed some things around a bit (in my head), I promise that everything will be resolved by the end.

Yvonne:peace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 am 
YAY we have feedback! I'm thinking that means a possible update is on the way?! *crosses fingers*

"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die...it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:21 pm 
Note: Not the best update, but I wanted to at least post something.

Chapter Fourteen

“Where have you been?” Donald Jr. sneered at his cousin. His attention barely left the television set as Ricky shut the door.

“The machine was broken so I had to go to the store across the street,” the younger man set his purchases on the table beside his cousin and knew not to expect a ‘thank you’ when he dropped the leftover change next to the beverages. Donnie erupted with laughter, uncaring of Ricky’s explanation as he opened a soda and continued snickering at the television screen.

While the older Maclay’s attention drifted further into the television program, Ricky disappeared in the small bathroom, resisting the urge to slam the door shut. The younger boy fixed his gaze on his reflection.

He had been a fool not to call his uncle. Ricky knew that Donald Maclay would not have been happy to receive the call, but he was surer that Donnie would have been even more furious to know the call had been made. Deciding that the latter was the worst of his problems, considering he was always within an arms length, Ricky chose to stick it out. They would find Tara and then he would go home, possibly find his own place, and get on with his life.

Ricky splashed a handful of water onto his face. He looked up at his reflection one last time and then exited the bathroom.

“I’m going for a walk,” he announced, zipping his jacket as he headed for the door.

Donnie clicked off the television and warily regarded his cousin. “What’s wrong with you?” He asked, noting the slump of the younger man’s shoulders.

“Nothing, I’m just getting some air,” Ricky stepped through the doorway and closed it behind himself. Donnie stared at the closed door for a moment before shrugging off what he was thinking and switching on the television.

The program, however, barely held his attention as the young man’s eyes continuously drifted toward the window. With a disgruntled sigh, Donnie left his spot, moving to pull the dusty curtains back from the glass. A feeling of irritation crawled on the back of his neck as he watched Ricky smoking a cigarette and leaning against the side of the broken soda machine.

Why had he brought him? The younger Maclay had always been bothersome and a pain to have around, but he had asked him to come along regardless. Donnie knew that he could have made the trip and returned Tara by himself, which caused another prickling of irritation.

Why, after so many years, did his father want Tara to come home? She had been perfectly fine where she was and he sure as hell didn’t need her around messing up everything for him. He never understood women, or was it that he never cared to? Pushing away from the window, the young man flopped back onto the bed, pushing back the part of him that hoped he would never find his sister.

~

“What are you afraid of?”

Slowly and beautifully, Tara’s eyes rose, the flash of truth and fear within them was unmistakable to Willow.

“There is something, isn’t there? Some reason why you won’t talk to me,” the redhead dipped her head, attempting to follow Tara’s downcast gaze. “I’m going to be honest with you, Tara,” pausing, Willow looked past the blonde to a bird that had settled on a low hanging branch.

Was freedom enough?

The bird shook its feathers, bringing them in tightly in search of warmth. Small beads appeared to carefully watch, perched on the trembling tree limb.

The doctor’s gaze relaxed back onto Tara and her previous thoughts and words became a fading memory. Willow moved to gently raise the blonde’s chin, but her hand quickly fell away, “I promise I’ll do my best to help you, but it has to go both ways.”

“Will you tell me what happened? What you’re afraid of?” She asked. Tara had yet to speak, her eyes remaining downcast.

“Angels whisper so the Devil won’t hear them.” The blonde’s head shot up, abruptly. “Do you remember when you said that to me?” Willow asked, seeing the response she had received.

Eyes wide and hesitant, Tara continued staring at the red-haired woman. Yes, she remembered. In that moment, she remembered more than words as an image pushed forth and onto the surface, having been suppressed for far too long.

“Is that what you’re afraid of, Tara?” The doctor’s question seemed ridiculous even to Willow’s ears. Whatever meaning the words held, she was not yet sure but hoped to find out soon.

Words stumbled on the blonde’s tongue, but none had been given a voice. Willow noted Tara’s blank expression and from the lack of clarity, the redhead was certain she had triggered something.

“I’m stuck.” The little girl struggled, attempting to free her shirt from the broken nail jutting from the wooden fence.

“We have to hurry,” a hand reached out, releasing the fabric with a firm tug. The two figures squeezed through the small opening between the fence and the brick siding of the house and hurried across the damp grass.

“My feet hurt,” the girl said. A deep frown creased her face, “Why are we running, Mama?”

“Shhh, Angels whisper so the Devil won’t hear them.” Strong fingers gripped the girl’s hand, tenderly. “Just a little further, I promise,” the words were breathed calmly to cover the tremble of the woman’s voice.

The dark outline of the car served as a beacon for the older woman as she pushed her legs a little harder. So close…

The child began to cry, softly.

The porch light turned on, illuminating the front yard and stopping mother and child inches from the concrete of the driveway.

Willow watched as a chill ran through Tara’s frame. The blonde blinked, shaking herself from the vividness of her memory.

“Let’s get back inside.” The coldness had grown bitter and had begun to seep through layers of clothing. Willow stepped closer as they walked, seeking to lend her warmth to the other woman who shivered just a little.

The walk was short as both women’s thoughts drifted. Tara’s gaze rested briefly, tentatively, on the side profile of the redhead’s face. Her heart pounded as fear and confusion beat against her chest. When she spoke, it took her nearly everything she had to go on.

“Why do you want to h-help me?” Foreign to her own ears, the blonde struggled to keep her eyes on Willow’s face even as every part of her wanted to lower them. She had spent so many years in silence that actual language felt strange, awkward.

The doctor was silent as she turned the odd question around in her head. Helping was what she had always done and it had never been a matter of why. Willow was at a loss. Did there have to be a reason?

Tara lowered her eyes. Should she have asked? Did it really matter why the red-haired woman wanted to help her? Her father had always told her that nothing was given freely… there was always a motive. And yet her father had been wrong so many times. Why should this time be any different?

They kept walking until they had reached the steps of Willow’s house. The redhead hadn’t answered yet and, frankly, she wasn’t sure of what to say. Unanswered questions hung between them as they entered the foyer.

Robin muted the television when the front door closed and the two women came into view. She had been in enough courtrooms to know discomfort, but the silence was unnerving. Her suggestion of tea was welcomed by both women and she disappeared into the kitchen.

Tara took the seat she was offered and sunk into the cushion of the sofa. Could she learn to live again outside the locked memories?

Post subject: Caged Angels
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:11 am 
Wow, okay, so a little light is being shed on Tara's past.

Tara was finally able to find her voice, so it was important enough for her to ask Willow why she wanted to help her. I liked Willow's internal response of "does there have to be a reason." I hope Tara is soon able to realize that there are still some good people in the world, and she'll feel like she can confide in them.

Thanks for this little tease. Can't wait to see what you have for us next!

Wimpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:57 am 
I too hope Tara accepts that there is good in the world that doesn't ask for a reward - other than, in Willow's case, seeing Tara happy. I'm sure - eventually - we're all hoping for Willow/Tara snuggles (a loooong way down the track from where they're at now, of course), but I'm sure just relieving Tara's pain is reason enough for Willow to do what she does.

I have mixed feelings about the re-emergence of Tara's memories. On the whole it's good that she's putting the pieces together - I'm thinking she needs to be whole. But I'm getting a real ominous feeling about what terrible events might have made her lock away those memories to begin with.

Great writing, as always. Thanks for the update.

Chris Cook

Through the Looking-glass

A Willow and Tara for every world.

Smut Bunnies!: Saving the world, sexily!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:53 am 
Yippee an update! This is such a great story, thanks for updating. I'm not sure it can be called progress yet but a sentence from Tara is at least a start. Hopefully Tara can learn to trust Willow and that she really wants to help her.

-anna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:38 am 
Oy I give up trying to figure out the answers to the millions of questions floating around in my poor head. It's nice to see that Tara might possibly open up to Willow, but I can also understand her wariness, especially after seeing the flashback into her past. I definately understand the whole 'Angels whisper so the Devil won't hear them' thing now though. So hey! We have progress! Great update.

"Heaven's not a place that you go when you die...it's that moment in life when you actually feel alive"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:50 am 
Weeee... an update :bounce :bounce

I'm curious about Tara's memory.. seems they were running away from something, but a driveway isn't that far away from a house right? Besides, if it is far away the light going on wouldn't pose a problem??

Donnie appears to be some sort of hired help, not caring about his sister at all. Mostly he wants her gone, which I suppose is a good thing since the remaining MaClay familly isn't good to be around anyway :lol .

I'm afraid that if Willow doesn't Tara question she'll never ask another. It is Tara's first attempt at actual communication, Willow should make sure that it's perceived as Good Thing to talk.

Good to see you updating, keep on going :) .

Grimmy :wave

--
"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:01 pm 
Wow. As usual, this was interesting and thought-provoking. Tara makes an excellent point though. Of course we have to count on Willow to prove that we don't need a reason.

I got bitten by a drunk lesbian! Does that mean I'll turn into one?

~my friend Mary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:03 am 
As is so often the case in life, the consequences and ramifications of our choices will haunt us in ways that we hadn't foreseen.

Ricky seems to be questioning his involvement in the recapturing of Tara and maybe will do the honorable thing and just walk away or perhaps divert things?

Donnie is misogynistic and maladjusted and other psychological problems beginning with 'm'.

As for Willow/Tara, the flashback or repressed memory was chilling in its suspense and open-ended conclusion, were Tara and her mother press-ganged back to the house?

After years of having burrowed deep into her own mind to escape what awaited her in that house in the aftermath of that aborted escape attempt, it will take time for Tara to even remember what her original persona was.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:30 am 
Hey Evy! u have givin us an update...YAY!!!

Mmm she spoke.. finally...

But i think that her father had to really of abused her and her mother a whooollee lot for Tara to end up like that... It seems to me like thats where it begun and it just snowballed from there... look at her flash back... what are they running from?? this horrible man that treats them as dirt?? another question is why dose her mother, which that what i'm going to assume, say that phrase which Tara said to Willow at the nut house?? And what about her half sister? Where is she? I think she plays a large part of how Tara ended up like she is??

Okay i'll shut up now... i so could be wrong..

-reds:willow

Meine Banane tanzt für Rußflocke:banana

Smutbunny Anthem: *sung to tune from Goldfinger* Smutbunnies...they'e the bunnies, the bunnies that love the smut...and Willow's butt. They surf for smut fiction...always lookin' for the next naked sweaty fix...of Tara's tits.- Written By Cameron(tarawhipped) For Us Smut Bunnies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:17 pm 
Oo! A little of something is better than nothing! And hey, I think this was pretty crucial.. Tara learning to use her voice again and ask Willow a question, which could always lead to further questions and answers. And Willow's realization that there doesn't have to be a reason, just because, is always good!

I hope there's more sooner this time! But I'll be waiting till whenever lol

Ashleigh :D

"...A-and I'm gonna make it up to you. Starting right now."

(Starts to smile)"Right now?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:17 pm 
Hmmmm...confusion and more confusion, but we're definitly getting somewhere.

More soon, please.

brittney

~Good friends help you move. Real friends help you move the body.~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:24 am 
Yes, definitely some confusion going on there.

And WHY does Willow want to help Tara?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:21 pm 
Holy...I mean just wow. Stumbled across this and ended up not being able to stop...well, until I ran out of updates.

This AU is amazing...just...wow. I'm hooked and I am blown away by this picture I don't have all the pieces to yet.

Again, amazing.

~Ani:dance

Before you judge and criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way if you still don't like them you're a mile away and you have their shoes!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:16 pm 
So glad you got back to this Evy, and it was nice to finally see inside Tara's brain a little. It makes sense that she would question Willow's motives...it doesn't sound like she's had any reason to trust people for a long time, but the fact that she at least said something to Willow is a good start. I just hope they have a chance to do some real talking before the goon squad finds them.

:peace -Cam

What should I be but just what I am? - Edna St.Vincent Millay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:31 pm 
More and more I'm intrigued by this story. It was a short update but certainly enough to make me ask myself more questions about Tara's mysterious background and the short snips of flashbacks. Please don't make us wait too long for another installment.

Mel R.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:47 pm 
19. Yummy Face

I read this a while ago (and need to reread it) and never left feedback. I figured it's time that I did -- especially since I'm always saying to Evy how much I'm looking forward to an update.

This particular fic is very high on my list of "Fics that I love." It's so wonderful how you've delved so deeply into the minds of your characters. And I have no doubt that you will be going deeper.

You've taken on some difficult subject matter here, Evy. And I commend you for having that courage. The W and T you've provided for us are different than the girls we've come to love. But, I have ABSOLUTELY no doubt that we will love THESE manifestations just as much. Hell, I already do love them. And I'm eager to know more about them and their connection.

Keep up the GREAT GREAT work, Evy! You're one of my heroes.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:06 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

A special thank you to the wonderful moderator who re-found this story for me. I'm all caught up now and I'm desparately waiting for the next chapters. I usually don't leave long feedbacks because I don't know what to say most of the time but I love this story. I'm a sucker for mystery and I adore the way you force me to think about what is going on. Fabulous story!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:07 pm 
9. Gay Now

Chapter Fourteen Feedback

Wimpy: Pam, hey, thanks for the response. Don’t worry; Tara will soon learn to start confiding in people, but you and I both know that I’ll have to throw in a few twists on the way. Thanks for reading.

Artemis: Hey, Chris. I understand your mixed feelings about Tara’s memories. Unfortunately, as you know, it is needed in order to figure out the plot as a whole. Tara/Willow snuggles is a long way away, in fact, I’ve been toying with (in my head) and re-reading the FAQ to see if the ending I have planned doesn’t break the rules. Thanks for the comments.

Irishgrl3: Anna, hey. There wasn’t that much progress with that little sentence, but I promise that more is to come. Thank you for stopping by.

Stillrunning: Hey, thanks for the feedback. As long as your head doesn’t explode from all those questions, I hope you continue to read. The flashback will be brought back up later in the story, but the possibility of Tara opening up will be seen in the next update.

Grimlock72: Hey, Grimmy.

Quote:
I'm curious about Tara's memory… seems they were running away from something, but a driveway isn't that far away from a house right? Besides, if it is far away the light going on wouldn't pose a problem??

Perhaps I should’ve been more descriptive with that part of the story. I had to go back and read what I had written. The two were coming from the back door (which was fenced), across the grass and toward the driveway. I suppose that did seem like a long trip. As usual, you make valid points and I hope some of your comments will be answered with the next update. Thanks for reading.

Tempest Duer: Hey, thank you for the comments. I hope I can continue to interest you.

Taralicious: Hey, Blayne (I hope I got your name right). Anyway, thanks for dropping in. We will see whether or not Ricky will make the “right” decision and also what happened in that particular flashback. It will take some time for Tara to fully regain her original persona, but, as I’ve told Pam, I have to throw in my little twists and turns.

WickedReds: Gina, hey. Shhh, you’re asking all the right questions and I don’t want to give anything away so I’m going to simply say “thanks for reading”.

VixenyTarasHot: Hey, Ashleigh. Sorry it took me so long to get on with the next update, but I hope you enjoy it.

Amazonaa: Brittney, hey and thank you for continuing to read although you’re confused. But, for some strange reason, I don’t think you’re the only one.

Xonethousandtears08x: Hey, thanks for reading. I think we can all assume that Willow wants to help because it’s what she does. Sometimes a solid reason isn’t needed to do what you believe is right.

AnirtakEnigma: Hi, Ani. I’m glad you stumbled across this and decided to stay. Thanks a bunch for the comments.

Tarawhipped: Hey, Cameron. Thank you for reading and don’t worry, they’ll have more time to do some real talking before anything major happens.

Southernworm: Mel, hi. It’s good to know that this story is still intriguing and I hope you continue to read. Thanks for the comments.

GayNow: Hey, Carleen. Now you know that praise isn’t necessary, but I do appreciate your words and I’m happy to know that you’re enjoying the story in such a way.

UhHuh: Hey, (Your name reminds me of a CD called Uh Huh Her by PJ Harvey, which I love… but back to the topic.) Thanks for stopping in and I’m glad you’re enjoying the story.

*I just realized that some of you might have different names now so I apologize if I don’t know it.*

That’s it for replies. Thank you again to all of the readers and/or responders and I apologize for the repetition in some of the replies.

Update coming up next.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:38 pm 
9. Gay Now

Chapter Fifteen

Memories are often like chains; one thought or image linking to another.

Tara sipped her tea and glanced at Willow over the brim of her cup. The redhead was leaning back into her chair as she scribbled onto her notepad. The former patient had agreed to the young doctor’s promise to start slow and waited patiently as Willow made notes.

Over the brim, wet from the steam, Tara attempted to read the red-haired woman. She was willing to put aside her belief that help was never given without reason in hopes that Willow would prove her wrong.

The search would have to start in the beginning.

Willow wanted Tara to set the pace, which meant that other than a little prompting by the redhead, Tara was able to begin wherever she felt most comfortable. The doctor’s methods may be viewed by her colleagues as unorthodox, but she wasn’t concerned with other people’s beliefs. She was there to help, which also meant that she would do it in whichever way she believed would be successful and easiest for her patient.

“How about we begin by you telling me about something, a place, whichever, where you felt the happiest,” Willow began. She raised her head to look into Tara’s eyes as she leaned back into her seat, pen poised over the legal pad. Starting slow meant words were chosen carefully; that thoughts of happiness and joy would need to be brought to the surface before the doctor could delve into the nameless shadows Tara hid within her eyes.

Tara cleared her throat and nodded, “Okay.” She set her cup back onto the table before wiping her damp hands onto her pants, where she left them to rest.

Happiness, like most abstract feelings, was something Tara had desperately tried to cling to before her admission into Pines View. Small pieces of fragmented images floated behind her eyes as she shut them.

“Whatever you can think of,” Willow’s voice came in like a whisper as she saw Tara’s forehead crease slightly while the blonde searched.

Her patient’s breathing came quietly and calmly—meditative. “Logan’s house,” Tara finally murmured and opened her eyes with the image of a long face with chocolate brown eyes.

“Logan?” Willow asked and jotted the name down in her notebook. “Was he one of your friends?”

Tara nodded, “He was my only friend.” Holding onto the clear picture, the blonde continued. “I used to feed him carrots,” a corner of her mouth lifted, “but he liked to eat my hair.”

Willow frowned until the image of what Tara was describing clicked in her brain. The doctor waited a moment before going on. “Logan’s house was his stable?” She asked, smiling when Tara’s nod confirmed her guess. “Let’s pretend we’re there, okay. Where it’s safe and pleasant, and nobody can touch us.” Willow set her notebook on her knees and leaned forward. “Can you picture it? What it looks like?”

The blonde’s eyebrows creased, dipping toward the bridge of her nose as she envisioned the stable. “Yes,” Tara breathed, finding the picture clear in her mind.

“How old were you? Can you remember how he looked?” Question after question left Willow’s mouth until the doctor silenced herself, wanting to avoid coming off too forceful.

The blonde reached for her cup and took a sip before setting it back onto the coffee table. The tea soothed her throat as she spoke. “He was brown, I think. With spots of white,” Tara answered with the only image she held clearly. “I was five o-or maybe six,” she looked up as if seeking confirmation before her eyes lowered, unfocused.

“And my mom would always let me go see him before and after school,” Tara went on, her expression faraway as she relived the memory.

Willow continued to listen as the young woman related her story, the doctor only stepping in to ask brief questions. During Tara’s small description of her past, the redhead had learned that Logan was a neighbor’s horse that had later been promised to the young blonde as a birthday present. Willow’s smiles matched those of Tara’s while the woman’s narration continued on for the better part of twenty-minutes. The doctor jotted down words that stuck out more than others and had begun to write more when the single-sided conversation came to a sudden halt.

Tara’s innocent retelling of a long-ago happiness had snagged on another thought and left the young woman silent.

After waiting a moment to see whether or not her patient would go on, Willow cleared her throat and spoke up. “It’s okay if you want to stop now,” she said, gently. Tara hesitated, tempted to seek refuge in her mind and push away what had stopped her from speaking. However, as Willow flipped the pages of her legal pad back, believing that the session was over, the blonde went on.

“My brother killed him.”

Willow’s hand stopped mid-motion as she heard both the words and the trace of coldness in Tara’s voice. The two women sat quietly and Tara’s features were etched with sadness and anger when the doctor’s gaze sought the blonde’s. Willow stumbled for words, “How? Why?” Her probing came without thought.

Somewhere in the back of her mind, Tara knew that she should stop, and that she should just let the memory fade back into the place where it had been hidden for so long, but she couldn’t. That tattered edge of remembrance had already begun to unravel.

As if suddenly realizing that the subject was too delicate to approach so early in their talks, Willow forced aside her unexpected curiosity. Her professional side told her to drop the topic immediately for fear that verbalizing the details would send Tara into remission, while the other part wanted to know more.

Regardless of what the doctor thought, Tara chose to continue on her own before Willow could interrupt. The words left her mouth before they could be held back. Rather than interrupting, the red-haired doctor listened closely while her patient recounted the story of a rough young boy and his new pellet gun.

~

Willow closed the door to the spare room, looking back for a moment before walking down the hallway to her own bedroom. Sighing lightly, the doctor kicked off her shoes and sprawled herself out across her bed. In all honesty, she had been surprised of the easiness by which Tara had spoken to her. Especially since less than a day ago, she could hardly get the girl to talk. It wasn’t that she didn’t appreciate or wasn’t thrilled by the fact that the blonde had opened up; it was only that she didn’t expect so much in one session.

The story about Donald Maclay junior had been upsetting to say the least, but the way in which Tara told the story bothered Willow a little. She knew that Tara had a right to be angry, but while she had spoken, something more lingered in her voice. Turning onto her stomach, Willow closed her eyes against the brightness of the table lamp. She drifted to sleep, still trying to figure Tara out and knowing that as a doctor, nothing ever went according to plan.

~

“Father Maclay?” A low, hesitant voice broke through the darkness and echoed in the rear hall of the church. The young man who had spoken moved slowly down the dim corridor with his eyes fixed on the strip of light glowing at the end of the hallway.

The old building groaned, wood breathing a sigh when the door creaked open.

“What is it?” Donald asked. His dark silhouette framed within the doorway, sleeves rolled up to his elbows, the preacher’s impatient gaze bore down on the young cleric.

“Tonight’s sermon is ready for review.” He inhaled the thick smell of the older man’s breath as he handed over the booklet.

“Have you added last night’s notes?” Mr. Maclay asked, flipping through the first couple of pages of the packet. His forehead creased once he had reached the last pages. The assistant nodded, muttering a low ‘yes’, and waited for the preacher to dismiss him.

With few words, Donald let the young man go before stepping back into his office and shutting the door. With a deep sigh, the reverend tossed the booklet onto the pile of papers and documents that covered his desk, and leaned back into his chair.

He had been expecting a phone call from an associate and glanced expectantly at the telephone when it rang. The shrill sound continued for a number of seconds before he answered. While he spoke and listened to the voice on the other end, the preacher began to search his desk; moving and flipping over sheets of paper to find what he was looking for.

Donald pushed a stack of articles to the side and when his fingers brushed the edge of a newspaper, the headline immediately grabbed his attention. Scanning the date and ignoring his friend’s comments, his face paled as he read over the opening lines.

~

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:19 pm 
16. Pancakes in Bellies

Wow, I'm the first one to post feedback... at least I think I am... what a great update. Donny is an asshole.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:58 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Topics: 1
Well, looky here. Seems Yvonne posted one of these thingies...what's it called? Oh yeah, an UPDATE!!

Okay, I just gotta say I want to be president of the "I Hate Donny" club.

Wow Evy, I was really drawn into this. I could picture Willow contemplating the right words to say and the right way to say them to let Tara feel comfortable enough to dredge up the old, painful memories. Great job. I was hurting right along with them.

Thanks for carrying on with this wonderful story. More soon please?

Wimpy

"There was plenty of magic." ~~ Tara

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:03 pm 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Yvonne,
What is in a name? Mine are still both Blayne and taralicious, so yeah you got them right. But I digress...
What a miserable filthy pile of shite Donny is. It's not bad enough that he inflicts his troglodyte knuckle-dragging brutality on Tara growing up but he has a grudge against the animal kingdom as well.
Even more disturbing and just making my stomach all acidy is the idea that he sadistically killed Logan with the pellet gun because he knew it would hurt Tara since the horse was her only friend and was the only pleasure she got out of life.
Willow's methods may be considered unorthodox by the mainstream medical community but she is astute enough and tuned in to Tara on the psychic level to ground Tara and mentally anchor her to a safe and secure place before proceeding to try and make the taps run out of Tara's boarded up past.
Grrr... I still want to split Donny's nostrils open with a boat hook or something.
As for the Elder Mr Maclay, methinks I do detect that he has seen a newspaper with the headline of Tara's escape from the facility.
Is this leading to him taking Donny out to the woodshed and whipping him like a government mule for his failure? :pray

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:57 am 
3. Flaming O

Wow I am so glad to see an update to this story. :-D
I love the mysterious element that you bring to this story. I can't wait to find out what's going on with Tara's father.

Christina

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:28 pm 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I'm not at all surprised that Donny was as cruel as a child as he is as an adult. I'm curious though. What else was Tara thinking about when she told the story? What was Donald reading?? Fabulous update. This is for sure one of my favorite stories.

Last edited by UhHuh on Fri May 13, 2005 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:17 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Evy~

I stand (or sit, as the case may be) in awe of you. I've loved every fic of yours, but this one has completely captured me. I've now read all 15 chapters at least two times. I've even taken notes. But, I have not reread this story to seek out understanding or to alleviate confusion like I do with some other fics. Oh no. I've reread this story (and will again) simply because I find joy reveling in the beauty of your words. The richness of the language is just marvelous. Truly inspired (and inspiring).

The imagery you use (both literary and sensory) is some of the most evocative I've ever read. The emotions that come from these images are palpable. I feel right along with Willow and Tara -- the fear, the pain, the frustration, the hope...ah, always the hope. There has to be hope, right?

I'm impressed with the way you weave together all of the subplots within the story. There are so many things going on! But, I've never gotten lost in a subplot. Good on ya! You've found a wonderful way of teasing us with new information regarding a character or subplot without making us realize that we're being teased. (You Vixen!) I don't know for sure if this is intentional on your part or not, but either way you do it very well. I empathize with Willow (and Robin) -- as one question gets answered, five more questions come up. So intriguing. So full of suspense. So delicious!

I find your representations of Willow and Tara equally intriguing. Even though there is so much about them that we do not yet know, they are nice, three-dimensional characters. You've taken us deep within their minds -- and I know you are going to take us much deeper, because there is still so much there that is still hidden away. I think there is much to learn about Robin, as well. I believe she is going to be a major player in this game.

I have to wonder about Dr. Monroe. He knows so much. Yet all he does is drop off a file for Willow -- then he leaves. He's even more cryptic after leaving than he was before he even got to the meeting with Willow. Will we learn more about him later down the line? And what is his relationship to Giles, I wonder? I'm sure his redemption is going to come with a bigger price than "file delivery" -- I can feel it in my bones. You couldn't have introduced him to the story without having future plans for him. Right, Evy?

The issue of trust in this story keeps me thinking. What little I know of patient/doctor dynamics tells me that there must, of course, be trust between a doctor and his/her patient. However, Willow's need to have Tara trust her goes beyond that simple (HA!) dynamic. There are deeper reasons for Willow needing Tara's trust. Though, I can't be sure that even Willow is aware of what these reasons may be. With regard to Tara, there certainly seems to be strength of character in that, somehow, she is able to trust Willow -- regardless of how much she questions being able to trust anyone. Again, deep down, her need to trust Willow is strong, even if she doesn't understand why. Yet, I appreciate the way you are building their relationship. Yes, there is trust. But that doesn't make the revealing of what's inside any easier. It would seem so false if Tara said, "I trust you, Willow" and then proceeded to reveal everything there is to know about her life. What you've set up seems much more realistic to me. Nicely done.

Now that I've babbled on for quite a while, I'm going to end my remarks. (Have some mercy on me -- remember, I'm responding to 15 chapters, not just the recent update.) Evy, we've talked a bit about the writing process for this particular fic. So, while I look forward to an update, I will not beg for a quick one. I'm sure that this -- and your other fics -- live within you at all times. I know an update will come when it is ready. And when it is, I'll be waiting. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Carleen

Frivolous Views

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:11 am 
9. Gay Now

Topics: 1
Very nice to see the tentative beginning of Tara relaying her story. Clearly it's a big step for her to vocalize such unpleasant memories...or to talk at all. I like that's she's consciously chosen to trust Willow, from her escape to now. It makes me wonder if she's opened up to others over the years and been burned, or if she's just been waiting for the right person to come along who she really believed could help her. Willow may be trying her best to maintain her professional demeanor, but her barrage of questions upon leaning that Donny killed Logan were the way a concerned friend would react, not an aloof therapist. That Tara continued her revelation makes me wonder which she needs more right now, especially since I'm assuming her father's newspaper headline is something along the lines of "Mental Patient Escapes From Pines View!"
Quote:
The story about Donald Maclay junior had been upsetting to say the least, but the way in which Tara told the story bothered Willow a little. She knew that Tara had a right to be angry, but while she had spoken, something more lingered in her voice.

What lingered? Hatred, resignation, bloody vengeance??? C'mon, Evy! Fine, I'll wait.

-Cam

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:22 pm 
23. Volumey Text

ooh an update and I almost missed it. :shock

We're starting to learn a lot more about Tara's past. She certainly didn't seem to have a great childhood. I'm guessing that Donnie killed the horse because he was jealous that it was given to Tara rather than him and decided if he couldn't have it then no one could.

I'm also going to guess that there's a lot more to learn before we find out Tara ended up in that asylum.

From Donald's reaction at the end it seems he's read about Tara's escape from the asylum. If so, now he knows that Donnie doesn't have things under control, is he now going to go to try to find Tara himself?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 351 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next