The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If Only (Updated 28.9.10)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:38 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey Zampsa, thanks so much for commenting. Really glad you liked the update. Hope you enjoy the next one.

Dear Heather, lovely of you to comment, my friend. Thought you'd be in to the whole 'turning of tables' thing. This next update is a bit lighter so hoping you enjoy. Thanks ever so for taking the time to post.

Hey hey hey Melissa, how's it hanging? Great to see you back here, thanks always for the very kind comments. Now, whilst I wasn't exactly hoping to depress anyone, especially you :), that last chapter was quite an important one, particuarly the end bit so er, at least you'll remember it, right? This next one has a lighter tone so I'm hoping to make you happy this time.

Thanks to everyone else that reads and to the mods and keepers of this board. Amen.

Update to follow.

Post subject: Re: If Only (Updated 10.11.10)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:42 pm 
3. Flaming O

Okay, here's the next update folks. As ever, it's unbeta'd so all mistakes are my own. It's kinda short but has a bit of a lighter feel so hope you enjoy it. Cheers, FC.

Chapter 9

“Hey, Cowboy,” she breezily called, no doubt hearing the patio doors opening when I entered my room.

A quick look in the mirror confirmed my suspicion that I was looking a little disheveled after my ride home, and I fought with my satchel and helmet in my haste to make myself vaguely presentable.

“Hey,” I squeaked back, my helmet now miraculously tangled with my satchel. “Bloody thing,” I muttered under my breath as I strained to separate the uncooperative pair.

“How was your day?” Her voice carried easily through my open bedroom door and I could only hope that the sounds of my impromptu wrestling bout were not carrying so easily through to the kitchen. I didn’t hold out much hope if the subtle aromas of her cooking wafting my way were anything to go by.

“Er, yeah,” I gasped, “it was good, thanks.” Finally, shaking my arm manically, I managed to extricate myself from my jacket, my satchel and my helmet all at the same time. Houdini had nothing on me.

“Cool. Hope you’re hungry, there’s enough food here to feed a small, though not very willing, army.” I smiled at her choice of words and began to relax; which was made easier by discovering that my satchel had not left any lacerations on my arm or head.

“Good to know. I’m a pacifist so I wouldn’t want to have to get medieval on their asses for nicking me grub. There’re only so many scowls I can dole out in one day.” Tara let out a hearty laugh and my mood soared. I made her laugh, I made her laugh, I giggled inwardly.

“Have I got time for a quick shower first? I’m kinda sweaty after my ride home… er, not that you needed to know that, of course.” I winced at my chosen descriptor and breathed in as I waited for a response. It was not long in coming.

“Sure. Just don’t use all the hot water, you’ve a hell of a lot of washing up to do later.” The line was even funnier delivered as it was, in Tara’s southern twang, and it was my turn to laugh. I was quickly followed into hysterics by Tara, her rich tones washing over me and warming me from the inside out.

I busied myself stripping away my clothes before wrapping myself in a cosy bath towel. Once I was ready I shouted, “I’ll be ten minutes if that’s okay?” and made my way to the bathroom.

“Yeah, no worries, we won’t be eating for another half hour,” she called back. “Or maybe sooner, if I decide to just kill this damn chicken for a second time,” I heard her mutter to herself.

Feeling a little playful, I couldn’t resist, and snuck my head around the corner and into the kitchen area to say, a little louder than was strictly necessary, “Now what’s that poor chicken ever done to you?” Tara nearly jumped a mile, the spatula she was holding flying up through the air, performing a graceful arc and hitting the ceiling hard, before crashing down behind her and landing in the sink with a satisfying plop. It was really a very impressive display of spatula aeronautics.

“Oh sorry, did I scare you?” I cheekily asked. Only my lightening quick reflexes saved me from the tea towel that Tara launched at me with such precision.

“Paint you, I tell you,” she shouted after me.

“Promises, promises,” I threw back. I skipped into the bathroom and leaned against the wall laughing my head off at the startled look on Tara’s face as I scared her. It was a picture. She was always a picture.

I stepped into the shower, and the hot steam streaking the tiled surface gallantly welcomed me. My breathing evened out after my laughing fit and I began the process of washing away the stresses of the day. I smiled at my anxiety of earlier on, and shook my head as I pondered my previous concerns. It was as if they just dissolved away right along with the day’s grime. I knew this was only a brief respite but, God it felt good. The tension that was almost a permanent resident in my brain was quieted and I allowed myself to enjoy the simple pleasures of a power shower, a natural sponge, and the idea of my new friend cooking me dinner.

I stood under the shower for longer than my promised ten minutes, the spray beating a soothing rhythm on my always tense shoulders. When finally I raised my head, I looked up to the ceiling and followed a water droplet as it leisurely searched for a mate. I hoped it got lucky and smiled at my silliness. I turned the tap off and with a vigorous shake of my head, I stepped out of the shower and into the rest of the evening. I decided it was going to be a good one.

“Hey, got a bit of Joni hitting the decks, I like it,” I said as I made my way down the short hall and rounded the corner into the kitchen. I was still lightly toweling my hair dry, feeling wonderfully relaxed after my shower.

“Yeah, I thought you would, what with having that whole ‘music Nazi’ thing going on an all.” Delivered with a straight face, I was momentarily struck speechless and groped around for the meaning behind the words. When nothing came to mind I settled for hoping she liked my impression of a confused guppy.

“No, I’m not,” was my brilliant retort when it finally surfaced, and it was now Tara’s turn to look confused.

“Oh, no, Willow, I didn’t mean that. I just remember hearing you say to Dan that someone once called you a music snob. I was just making a joke… which would have been funnier if it had actually been funny,” she finished with a mumble.

She remembered that, I thought with astonishment. I was too busy allowing this quite extraordinary piece of information to sink in to be of any use in helping Tara feel better about her perceived faux pas. She turned from me and began stirring something on the hob, and I luxuriated in the feeling of our burgeoning friendship.

It was only when she self-consciously asked, “So, um, do you like chicken?” that I realised she was still struggling; if she remembered the comment I had made to Dan, then she definitely knew I liked chicken.

My heart went out to her. “Yes, I do like chicken. And I’ll have you know that that only one person has ever gotten away with calling me a ‘music Nazi’ and he was a six-foot-seven inch rugby-player with questionable hygiene standards. I tell ya, if it hadn’t been for my acute sense of smell I woulda done for him,” I reeled off in my best Scooby Doo villain voice.

Tara’s relief was palpable and she let out a short, sharp “Ha,” before adding sagely, “Now there are two, my friend.”

She returned to her cooking but before she continued she turned back to me, and looking me square in the eye, her soft voice said, “One of these days I am going to ask you where that crazy sense of humour comes from and I really hope you let me in on the secret.”

I was frozen to the spot and in a small voice said, “Maybe one day I will.”

She had no idea how much I wanted to share it all with her.

Thanks for reading
foreverchanges

Last edited by foreverchanges on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really like Willow's quirky humor and how they find little bit new information about each other all the time...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 pm 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Wow, this is brilliant so far. I'm not sure how I got so far behind, but it was wonderful catching up.

This description of Tara's scent was breathtaking:

Quote:
Chanel no. 5, and kindness, and buttercups.

"We're in love. We're lovers. We're lesbian, gay-type lovers."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:50 am 
4. Extra Flamey

foreverchanges:

this is an absolutely beautiful piece of literature. Your storyline is progressing (but not too fast!), your characterizations are detailed, and your diction is heavenly.

I'm really REALLY loving your poetic 'voice' (a concept which I think I just made up on the spot ;-) ). The way you write, your "accent", is so refreshing. It's not forced (since I'm assuming here you're British), but it's not overwhelming, either. I'm Canadian with strong ties to the British Isles, so I've always been a fan of the speech patterns (writting patterns?).

I hope you continue to write this.. I'm really looking forward to reading MUCH more of this :pray

Kudos!

C.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm 
3. Flaming O

Hey Zampsa, so glad you enjoyed the last update. Thanks awfully for taking the time to comment, it's always very much appreciated. Hope you enjoy the next bit - it has dancing :)

Hi LonelyTara, I have to say, I got a real thrill from your comments. It was very sweet of you to take the time, so thank you. Really hoping you enjoy the next bit too.

Also, I'll say it here just 'cos I'm hopelessly shy with feedback - I really love your fic, Wish of Three Hearts - it is rich, and vicious, and beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Well hello there, Cyteach, and gosh, talk about blown away. Your comments had me blushing for about a week afterwards - thank you so very much.

Yeah, I'm English, and I was cock-a-hoop with your view on the writing - it's something that's important to me, so it meant a lot.

And I'll say it here cos of the whole hopeless feedbacker thing, thank you for sharing your great fic, Changing Your Goals, with us - it is one of very few of late that have captured me.

Thanks to everyone else who has read, it's always much appreciated.

A short update is to follow, and you even get a 'Brucie bonus' of a new title for the fic. Peace, FC

Post subject: Re: Rite of Spring (Previously, If Only - Updated 30.03.11)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

Okay, so a short update to follow. It is unbeta'd and was written quickly so any mistakes etc. are my own. I have started work on the next bit but figured I'd post what I have just 'cos it's been so long.

All previous disclaimers apply.

Enjoy, FC

Chapter 9 cont'd

“No, no, I learned to cook at College.” Tara waved her fork around as she set me straight about where her gastronomic skills had originated. “I’d really love to say I spent my formative years spending quality time with my parents; you know, flying kites, making pie and giggling naughtily about the neighbours’ strange choice of gnome-like garden decoration, but it just wouldn’t be true.” She paused, and a frown glanced across her face as she seemed to get lost in some memory of a different time.

I looked at her, really looked, and the hint of a wry smile came unbidden to my lips. I would never be her Confessor, her Champion, her Heart, but I hoped that for this little while at least, I could be her friend.

“Thank God you went to college then, ‘cos this is really good.” Or maybe just her jester.

A brilliant smile was my reward and I returned it as best I could with a mouth full of spicy, chicken satay.

“What about you? I’ve never really seen you cook; not hiding your light under a bushel there are you Miss R?” It was as gentle a tease to which I had ever been treated.

“Mmm,” I said, before roughly swallowing, “it would take more than a bushel under which to hide my culinary light, Mrs M. It’d take more of a…a …titan arum.” Uh oh, ‘spaz alert,’ I internally quaked and quickly took another bite of chicken.

Raised eyebrows and confusion, closely followed by realisation and mirth.

“Are you hoping to blind me with Latin? Cos, honestly, that’ll work.”

Her response delighted me and I evidenced as much by doing a funny sort of half-chuckle, half-exhalation of the lump in my throat, all tied up in a neat bow of mangled chicken all over my plate. Seemed this jester thing was really working out for me.

The lullaby of her laugh surrounded me and within seconds I joined her in an unguarded moment of hysteria. The two of us laughed gaily, each looking easily at the other before breaking up again and risking the rest of our dinner.

Eventually though, all good things must come to an end, and with a last deep breath, I calmed, took a risky sip of wine and settled down to the serious matter of dinner.

We ate silently, well as silent as you can when wrapping your taste buds around a dish that included spicy green papaya salad. Spice wasn’t usually something I carried off with much aplomb, the fierceness of the heat soon rendering my face the colour of my hair, but the cool crispness of the papaya juxtaposed with the dense heat of the chili all added up to a party in my mouth and I was converted.

“Oh, I forgot, there’s something I want to play for you.” Silence shattered, Tara sprang up like a penguin on to frozen ice and disappeared in to her room.

I was only given a second to remain startled when with a clatter, a bang and a, “Aha,” she was once more by my side.

She thrust an unidentifiable CD case in front of me and just as I reached over to take it, she suddenly snatched it back again. The whole maneuvre had taken approximately naught point naught four seconds.

I swiveled around in my chair and watched Tara, as she glided over to the portable CD player that usually hung around in the living room and popped the disk in to the player. Her movements were elegant, those of someone who did not feel the need for others eyes upon them, nor noticed when they were. My heart truly ached at the site of her.

And then, with the first jaunty beats of ELO’s ‘Mr Blue Sky,’ she did a funny little wiggle and I was catapulted back into my comfort zone. She began an exuberant dance back over to me, and my smile must have stretched to the end of our next door neighbour’s yard.

I feared it was going to be a short-lived smile however, because with the cheeky grin Tara was giving me, I knew the next big laugh of the night would come from my completely unintentional, but wholly unpreventable, Ian Curtis impression.

“You know the rule, right?” she gasped out, amid her shapes.

My smile was faltering all right. “Rule?”

“Yeah, the ‘Mr Blue Sky, all booties on the floor’ rule?”

I have to admit, I let out a guffaw at that. There was just something so magnificently wrong in Tara using the word ‘bootie’ that it simply refused to be contained.

“You’re laughing at the ‘Mr Blue Sky,’ rule? That’s it…” My guffaw was hastily followed by a squeal as Tara grabbed my arm and pulled me unceremoniously on to the floor to commence aforementioned impression. My socked feet slipped slightly over the smooth wood finish and I cringed as I got a running start at it.

But with little or no fanfare, Tara was there, her sure hands holding on to me and her warm smile steadying me. My hands were shaking ever so slightly and I begged whoever wasn’t up there to not let her notice.

Slowly, haltingly, I began to move, bending my legs at what I thought were the right moments, before allowing my ungainly arms to be led by Tara’s into the mix. Holding on to Tara’s hands I allowed the music to beat a happy rhythm right through me. I let go of the tension that had made its unwelcome reappearance and focused on Tara’s twinkling blue eyes. I prayed my own did not betray me.

We danced around like a couple of school kids practicing to be the ‘latest thing’ in front of the mirror, and before long I had to admit to actually enjoying it. As with most things where Tara was concerned, she lent the act an air of safety, and just allowed me to be me. I imagined she was like that with everyone and got to wondering more and more about where she had come from, what it was that had instilled such quiet command within her, and why on earth she was spending her time with me.

Thanks for reading, FC

Last edited by foreverchanges on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 pm 
9. Gay Now

Yay for great update-y goodness... I really liked the dance...

Posting while nude improves your mood...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

*siigh* I had actually totally forgotten about this story, but then (thankfully!) in the midst of avoiding assignments the new title intrigued me, I read it all again and WOW - I will never let it slip of my radar again lol!

There is something sooo provocative about the way you write, every sentence just swirls around my imagination and makes me all tingly, especially the strong contrasts between Tara’s organic, commanding presence and Willow’s unsure, choked demeanor, it’s beautiful. You’ve crafted beautiful characters.

I’m not sure exactly how long you give between updates but I think I can safely say that it’s far too long and you should quit/abandon all other life things and focus entirely on this :-D kay? Yay I’m glad that’s settled!

On a more serious note, I truly hope you plan on finishing this story because, as gauche as it sounds, your readers are enriched for having read it.

:peace

-Bell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Glad to see an update. Was worried this story was forgotten. Tara is slowly bringing Willow out of her shell.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 pm 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
FC,

I'm so happy to see an update to this story. Willow's dance within herself as she tries to open up, as she wants to know Tara... it moves me to see it. Her reticence, her effort to over come things with in herself, even her desire (maybe even envy of) for Tara's self ease.

I've told you before I enjoy this story, and wait patiently for your updates. The image of them dancing together just having fun, like friends will do... very light this installment, and somehow different. I can't put my finger on it, maybe it was the way you wrote it....

Always looking forward to more.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Just found this on the board and started reading... I'm hooked! I was actually kind of sad there were only 2 pages as of yet, haha, so I'll be waiting anxiously for the next update :)

I love that it's set in London, and in an area I actually know :D I also very much like the different Tara and Willow from how we know them - especially with it being written from Willow's perspective. It sets the mood perfectly.

Now, if I can just quote Belli Bear...

Quote:
I’m not sure exactly how long you give between updates but I think I can safely say that it’s far too long and you should quit/abandon all other life things and focus entirely on this grin kay? Yay I’m glad that’s settled!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Still loving this. I really liked the old title - but this one's good too. :)
again, I wanna do that "let's compliment the writing style dance" thing, but I'm kinda lazy at the moment, so just imagine I'm doing it again. 'Cause I really do *love* your writing style.
Ms. FC, please don't keep us waiting that long for an update! This has been a lovely update, but considering how long its been, I'm desprate for things to get going! lol. I'm an impatiant kitten, I know.

Peace,

Melissa

Missing me one place search another,
I stop some where waiting for you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:13 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Wow. This is just so heart wrenching. Willow is so painfully awkward. I mean socially. Obviously it's her dads fault but that doesn't make it easier. Ifeel like tara really understands and wants to make wi,low more comfortable. That's lovely. I love the way you are using both music and food here. Music is almost acharacter itself. Oh... I hope there will be more soon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

I love this story. Your writing style really appeals to me. As a Londoner, I'm also enjoying the setting.

Please continue!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am 
11. Fish in the Bowl

Topics: 2
foreverchanges, Wow!

Brand-new to this story and LOVING IT!!! Amazing job! :flower

Quote:
“You have such a unique way about you, you know that?” Her voice was rich; warm hearths and paperbacks.

“warm hearths and paperbacks” never heard that in my life: original and perfect. Breathless!

Great humorous dialogue between the two, including Dan in this excerpt:
Quote:
“Oh, err..,” was all I managed before Dan put me out of my monosyllabic misery, my head still tingling with confusion.

“Hiya, it’s nice to meet you, I’m Dan, Willow’s singing coach,” Dan answered as seriously as possible.

Tara looked surprised for just the briefest of moments before firing back, “Is that what you call that? I thought the local fox population were holding a love-in.”

“I am a local fox.” Dan raised his eyebrows flirtatiously and I just watched the exchange dumbly, not really sure of what was happening. With a pang, I felt my social inadequacies reasserting themselves and my good mood evaporating. I can not be sure, and I never did ask her, but I had a feeling that Tara saw this and so switched her focus back to me. I like to think that that is what happened anyway.

So this has the wit and the banter then it slides to Willow’s feelings of inadequacies – god, I have totally been there! Then Tara’s apparent rescue, all beautifully done on the levels of entertainment/insight/affection. Also, Willow’s wanting Tara to have rescued her – nicely done!

You also capture the internal monologue, the relentless self-consciousness, of the truly agonizingly shy person. It’s incredibly well done and both humorous and very touching.

I play a British woman for 4-5 weekends every year for a little extra cash, so I absolutely enjoy the special vocabulary and phrases for an English setting. Just a lovely bit of extra! :pinky :party :bounce :pinky :party :bounce

Also love the details not too many folks know what a ‘vole’ is and you make their walk live with the details of the various birds and animals. (I only know because I read Watership Down :blush another great English story!)

You’re doing such a beautiful job – transporting us to a whole fresh take on their relationship. Thanks for sharing your talent and your time with us!

Ariel
How I Met Your Mother

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:07 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Update soon...? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:49 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

Im seriously falling in love with this story. i love the way you write. truly wow keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:10 pm 
3. Flaming O

So, below, are just a few words of thanks to everyone that commented – I am bamboozled by how many of you did so, and I need to find a new word for grateful to really sum up exactly how grateful I am that you all took the time. To everyone else that read the darn thing, thanks so much, it is great encouragement just to know folks are reading.

Hey Zampsa, thanks so much for dropping in and posting – I’m always happy as Larry when you do. Glad you enjoyed the dance :)

Oh Belli Bear, s/he of my favourite name on the board, so so nice to see you back here and thanks so very much for you incredibly kind words – they flatter me beyond belief but thanks for saying them anyway. And believe me, if I could just take a few months to sit back and write this story I definitely would. In the meantime, I hope you still enjoy the updates when they do finally pop up.

Hi love_2003, big thanks to you for taking the trouble to post, much appreciated. Hope you continue to enjoy.

Dear Heather, I had a smile on my face a mile wide when I read your feedback; it was just so like you to notice the difference in the last chapter – and it was because of the way I wrote it. I never plan when I’ll write this – if I had more time I would – but now and again I just wake up and know ‘this is a day for writing Willow and Tara.’ It’s a very natural, instinctive thing. However, this last update was the result of wanting to do something to cheer myself up. It is the only occasion when I have physically made myself write this. I think because of that, the tone is a little different to what went before, and it also has a weird rhymy thing going on that I couldn’t quite snap out of.

Anyway, as usual, thanks loads for commenting – it’s always a thrill to read anything you write!

Hello Sadie, oh wow, thank you for your very kind words and the ‘bumping,’ – I got a real kick out of that. I’m dead pleased you’re enjoying it and very grateful you took the time to comment. I’ll hopefully have an update for you within the next few days.

Hey there Melissa, aww, I’m glad you enjoyed the last update and I promise I’ll try to update more often. Sorry about the title, I was never very happy with the previous one but since I changed it it’s sort of grown on me. Ho hum.

As ever, thank you for taking the time to comment – it’s always very much appreciated.

Hello Justskipit, thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave such lovely comments, it was very kind of you. Glad you’re enjoying so far and hope you continue to do so. Next update will hopefully rise from its slumber in a few days’ time.

Hi there Wayland, always glad to satisfy a fellow Londoner. Er… moving swiftly on, thanks a lot for popping in and taking the time to comment, it’s very much appreciated.

Hello Ariel, wowsers, that’s some feedback. Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave such wonderful comments – they blew me away. Particularly pleased you liked some of the more humorous bits, I’ll try to squeeze a few more in for you. Am chuffed you’re enjoying the story and really hope you enjoy what’s to come.

Hello Jenga, as a Jenga master I was cock-a-hoop that you saw fit to pop in and leave such a lovely comment. Really, it does the heart good. Thank you so very much for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.

I’ll hopefully have an update posted within the next few days. Thanks to all those that are reading for sticking with it.

Peace out
FC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:14 pm 
2. Floating Rose

I've just read this story and I'm glad I did. This is a really good story, with an organic flow that some of them tend to miss. Your analogies are certainly different and tend to stand out in a really good way. I suppose it's more to do with your Willow than anything, the awkward loner, who knows the intimacy of such things as a good book or album and the unmitigated pleasure of sharing a bottle of whatever with a friend. I like Tara as well, who seems self-assured, but I"m not sure if she really is as this is from Willow's perspective. But I'm definitely going to come back for that update, whenever it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 am 
3. Flaming O

Hi there The Best Name on the Site, and may I say what a great name you have!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment, your words are so, so kind, and very much appreciated. Heartily glad you're enjoying it so far and really hope you enjoy this next update!

What's that? An update you say? I know, right?

Update below. Enjoy.
foreverchanges

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:04 pm 
3. Flaming O

Title: Rite of Spring
Author: foreverchanges
Rating: 15 for language and drug references
Disclaimer: Willow and Tara belong to Joss Whedon, Mutant Enemy, Fox etc. The story is mine.
Spoilers: None, AU
Feedback: If you're sufficiently moved, no way I'm standing in the way of that.
Distribution: Doubt it'll be an issue, but this is strictly for Pens only.
Thanks to: Those that tend this board with such care and love, all those who write and inspire, and all those that take the time to read. It is much appreciated.
Blurb 1: Un-beta'd so probably contains all the pitfalls that entails.
Blurb 2: It's a London thing.

Chapter 9 cont'd (though finally finished too)

“So, um, where did you go to uni, was it in the States?”

We had thankfully moved away from our improvised dance floor and sat comfortably on the big, over-stuffed sofa that dominated the living room; it was a haphazard mix of cushions and throws, in rich reds and rustic tints. The different textures of the fabrics brushed pleasingly across exposed skin; suede and lace, velvet and cord; they positively flaunted their lush tactility.

We had just opened our second bottle of red; a fruity little number from Chile, and Yesterday Once More could be heard leisurely thrumming along in all its melancholy splendour.

“Yeah, it was just a small, little college in the South. It doesn’t have any kind of kudos attached with going there, just a good math department and lots of wide open spaces,” Tara said as she stared down into her glass, her long hair hanging lazily over one shoulder. She absently swirled the last few drops of ruby coloured wine; it stuck pleasingly to the sides of the glass as it journeyed through a never-ending spiral. Someone once told me that was the sign of a good red, though whether or not that was true, I couldn’t possibly have said at the time.

Finally looking away from the delicate, long-stemmed glass, I softly asked “So, um, is that what you studied? Maths?”

“Oh.” Tara started slightly at the interruption and the liquid in her glass jumped in solidarity.

My eyes opened wide and I instinctively pressed back further into the sofa while at the same time reaching out a useless limb to catch the glass should it fall. Tara obviously caught the movement and quickly turned to me, an embarrassed smile on her face. I cautiously returned it and self-consciously lowered my hand.

“Sorry, miles away.” I nodded in understanding and sat back a little further into the sofa as I willed her to continue. Instead, she turned from me and seemed to get lost in her own thoughts once more. A minute ticked by and I switched my gaze from her profile to a spot in the distance, the way pirouetting ballet dancers do. As the seconds drew on in silence my brow furrowed and my head began to faintly bob of its own accord. Maybe she doesn’t like talking about it, I thought.

Suddenly, a laugh as soft as summer fruits made its way to me and I ingenuously rushed to meet it. “What?” I breathed. She turned to me then and her face was warm and open and it was focused on me. God, how her smile enchanted me.

“You would think that wouldn’t you? I mean what with the whole ‘great math department’ an’ all. But no, I studied languages with a bit of sports science thrown in for good measure. Though, I did once almost manage to run a four-minute mile,” she said, her eyes crinkling merrily at the memory.

“Wow, that’s um, that’s not a combination you often come across.” I hesitated briefly before shyly asking, “So, er, what led you down that path?”

“Chariots of Fire,” she instantly deadpanned. I looked at her blankly for a second before catching on.

“Ohh, I see. Everyone’s a comedian.” I jokingly lamented, whilst shaking my head in mock-disappointment.

Tara giggled for a second before elaborating. “No, seriously, I had seen Chariots of Fire just days before we visited the campus, and I was filled with notions of reaching for the stars and just trying to be, you know, ‘more?’” Tara looked at me expectantly, a hint of apprehension evident.

I thought I understood perfectly well what she meant. I may never have held the hope of going to university but I was not unaccustomed to the feeling of having something trapped inside that just wanted to get out, something nameless that was lying dormant but was yet unique and profound. I suspect we all fancy ourselves to have a Mill on the Floss in us, a Pollock, or maybe a Bach; tapping into that seemingly unreachable well of talent and commitment though is quite another thing. I was glad that Tara had at least had the opportunity to look for her hidden masterpiece, a masterpiece which I was certain she would someday produce.

I suspect now though that what Tara actually meant was much broader in scope, something akin to experiencing life in all its colour and grime, and growing and learning from each new experience, be they friend or foe. She still says that her life is a work in progress, “One that I pray never to complete.” Unsurprisingly enough, it is a sentiment to which I wholeheartedly concur.

“Plus, I really liked the score.” Once more I was plucked from my reverie. I grinned and made as if to launch a cushion missile in her direction. She was equal to the challenge though and threatened me with her remaining vino. I chose to bow out gracefully.

“Okay, okay, you win, but only because I’ll view it as a waste of perfectly good wine if we have to open a bottle of white to remove a stain caused by your unnecessary hostility.”

“Says the woman holding a weapon of mass destruction in her pitching paw.” Said weapon was instantly defused as I bent double and laughed long and hard. I couldn’t remember the last, or maybe the first, time I had ever laughed so unselfconsciously. Tara was quick to join me and pretty soon it was clear that we were no longer laughing at Tara’s comment, but were simply laughing for the sheer joy of it. Or maybe it was just the wine. Either way, I never wanted the moment to end.

Eventually though, our laughter ebbed away and we simply sat companionably for a while. Incredibly, I neither felt awkward or tense, my perennial foot-tapping was stilled and my mind was unusually quiet.

“So did you go to college? Or did you choose to come to London ‘cos the ‘streets are paved with gold?’” And quick as a flick-blade I was launched back to reality. As every single brick immediately reassembled itself in the wall that usually protected me, Tara’s smile faltered and a look of confusion washed over her.

I cringed internally and staggered out, “I, I, er, no… no. I um, I had responsibilities and well, I worked.” Oh Jesus, why not just tell her the whole fucking story while you’re at it, I bellowed at myself.

“Oh, well that’s good, I mean…’ She, like me, appeared to be finding it very difficult to find the ‘good’ in it. I barely registered what she said next, my internal dialogue drowning out all else, but when she oh-so-gently lay her hand on top of mine, and when her piercing blue eyes came to rest honestly on mine, I may as well have been a slave to her words. “So many kids have no concept of responsibility, Willow. It says a lot about a person’s strength when they do.”

Her words forced their way through my defences and my tension drained away, to be replaced with something I now recognise as being closer to acceptance. I knew in that moment that at least one of those bricks had fallen and would never be replaced.

Tara gave my hand, which had become numb in my effort not to move it so much as an inch, a ‘so long, hand’ squeeze, and shifted in her seat, putting a little distance once again between us.

We both seemed to need a minute to compose ourselves and I imagine that Tara knew her words had affected me. The atmosphere in the room was quiet, thoughtful, punctuated only by Karen Carpenter wistfully opining, 'We’ve Only Just Begun.’

As the maelstrom in my mind swirled around looking for anchor, it finally settled on one image. God only knows what possessed me to give voice to my feelings, but give voice to them I did, “It sounds nice where you went though, I like wide open spaces, and it must have been nice, so nice to feel so free.” And there it was again, her gaze, resting steadily on me; assessing rather than judging, patient as opposed to fractious. It confused me and scared me and overwhelmingly excited me.

Thanks for reading
foreverchanges

Last edited by foreverchanges on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rite of Spring (Updated 23.06.11)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:08 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

UPDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!!

*jumps with joy*

*goes to read*

I was so happy to see this update, and it did not disappoint. It just makes me want more and more ;) It's got a great pace and great detail, and I like how each time a little bit of each is revealed to the other...

I especially liked 'the brick that would never be replaced'. Wonderful stuff! Thanks so much for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:02 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

aaaah *falls over* more! More! I have to run errands today but I am SO sinking my teeth into this when I get home!!! :applause

-Bell

PS: Oh! Belli Bear is because my name is Isabella by the way lol, girl :grin i think... at least this morning I was :eyebrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:21 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

yay another great update!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:58 am 
3. Flaming O

Hi Sadie, Belli and Jenga, sorry to address you all collectively but I figured it'd be simpler. I just want say a big, big, big thank you to you all for your comments on the last update - they were lovely to read.

Unfortunately, I won't be adding any futher updates to this fic and will be requesting its removal within the next few days - I'm just hoping you guys pop in here before then so you know how much I appreciated your comments.

To everyone else who has left a comment previously, and who has read this thing, thanks so much and apologies for leaving it there; unfortunately, life has dealt some pretty heavy blows of late and has forced me to reevaluate many things. With this in mind, I know I don't/won't have time to continue with this. I really didn't want to just leave it languishing here though, and I didn't want to remove it entirely without letting those folks who are even vaguely interested, know.

Thanks once again to everyone who has read and commented, and special thanks to Xita and everyone involved with looking after this board for providing a safe place for us Kittens to come play in.

Peace
foreverchanges

Last edited by foreverchanges on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

*sigh*

Although that is crushing to hear, it's understandable that life can deal some serious blows :ashamed

Goodluck with whatever is going on in your life and I for one will be one of those sad people holding out hope that you'll pop up on DCP five years from now with a re-opened thread and the time to give this story the middle/ending it deserves :P

All the best :bigwave

- Belli

Post subject: Re: Rite of Spring (Discontinued as of 8.8.11)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 am 
4. Extra Flamey

I'm wallowing. this sucks. You know I love your style - any chance I can see other stuff of yours? I hope you are okay and if you need virtual help I'm here. Please email me: melissadank@gmail.com

Missing me one place search another,
I stop some where waiting for you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:03 am 
8. Vixen

Topics: 3
FC,

I'm really sorry to see this story & you go. If you need an ear to bend you know how to reach me. You're in my thoughts.

"Dry Heat – In Progress (still)" "Penny Arcade - Completed"
My Fic Challenge entries:
"Fireworks" "Promise" "I Did What Last Night?"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:17 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 7
Forever changes - I am sorry to read that you won't be able to continue.Ihope that things get better for you. I have really enjoyed this tale. I think there is a place where you can ask a moderator to archive this rather than pull it entirely.

Good luck.