The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Things Unchanged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm 
28. Com...plete

I wrote this brief start months ago and still don't have much more, but I figured it was about time for me to post something again.

Title: The Things Unchanged

Summary: This story is set 3 years after the end Entropy, but everything after that point is completely different. The background story is rather complicated and angsty, and I'm not entirely sure where the story's going, but it will lead to our girls together and happy.

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my own ideas.

Rating: I'd say PG at the moment. I have no idea what it will be later on.

Spoilers: Through Entropy.

Chapter 1~

"Get OFF my sister!" Dawn heard as she struggled with the vampire, but though the voice was familiar, it didn't belong to Buffy and it took her a moment to place. When the realization hit, the teen whipped her head around to see an angel's face, before everything turned to black.

The world swirled around her and the present faded into 3 years ago. Everything was broken, furniture, mirrors, and most of all Willow. Dawn had woken to the screaming as the redhead searched for her lover, but she now sat rocking back-and-forth on her bed with tears rolling down her cheeks and her lips silently mouthing 'Tara' over and over. All life was gone from the once-vibrant woman who had over the last few weeks been reclaiming herself. Dawn couldn't image what had happened to change things so drastically; Will had been so ecstatic after her coffee-date with the blonde the day before, and the teen had had high hopes that a reconciliation was on the way for her favorite couple.
Without looking up the redhead murmured softly for the younger girl's benefit "She's gone. Tara's gone. She left...in the night. Gone. She's gone Dawnie." Then the words stopped. Everything stopped.

Dawn was called back to consciousness by that long-lost voice calling her name.
"Don't move sweetie, your head's bleeding," Tara murmured softly, stroking the long brown hair.
"Tara..." Dawn moaned, unable to ask the thousands of questions swirling through her mind.
"It's alright, just rest now.... The vampire's gone, and I'll explain everything once you're better. Just rest..."

Dawn woke in the hospital with the vague memory of Tara carrying her there. She wondered if it had been a dream, the blonde witch finding and rescuing her; it wouldn't have been the first time Dawn dreamed of her return, but the teen doubted she could have imagined such a perfect, beautiful voice.
Only then did Dawn notice the figure beside her, slumped in the chair sound asleep, and began to wonder just how long she had been unconscious. "Buffy," she called softly, still too drugged to get the volume necessary to wake her sister.
"She's asleep Dawnie. First sleep she's gotten in two days," the angel-voice startled her, but also filled her with a deep joy: it was real, Tara was HERE!
"I.... If you.... Saved me...." Dawn struggled for coherence, fiercely annoyed at her inability to string the necessary words together to thank Tara for saving her life. Dawn knew she couldn't have won against Laurence and she hated that; Buffy could have destroyed him...The teen tried to tell herself it was only lack of experience that made her the weaker Slayer, but Dawn struggled to believe it. She feared there had been some mistake when she was called, and that she didn't have what it took to follow in her sister's footsteps.
"Shh, it's okay Sweetie...you don't have to say anything. That's what sisters do, we save each other. When you love someone," she murmured with a deep sadness in her voice, "you do everything you can to help them, no matter the consequences."
Her voice a little stronger and her head less foggy now that she had been awake for a few minutes, Dawn managed to express herself a bit more clearly this time. "You're talking about Willow...why you left."
Tara sighed, before giving Dawn a wary half-smile. "I’ve forgotten what it's like to be around people who truly know me. I'd forgotten you could read me like a book. Oh Dawn, it's so good to see you.... I'm sorry I was gone so long."
Feeling the once-familiar fingers curl around her own, Dawn decided to be brave, and so uttered the two words that had filled her mind since seeing Tara again.
"Tell me."

Tara didn’t know why she was here—or at least why now. Her life was going well; she loved her job and her house and all of London. She had no reason to come back… except she couldn’t move on. The truth was, though she hated to admit it to herself, she knew exactly why she’d come back now, but the reason scared her; it had been 3 years, one kiss shouldn’t send her running home.
Funny that she still thought of Sunnydale as home after living in England longer than she’d been in the small California town. Funny that she hardly ever thought of her life before college, before Willow, except to miss here beloved mama almost every day. Tara had lived in Deer Springs for 18 years, but when she though of home, the Summers House where she had lived only half a year still came to mind, and Willow. Willow was, among so many other things, home.
The blonde knew no matter how much time passed her life would always be in Sunnydale, with Dawn and Buffy and Xander and Anya and most of all Willow. She had had to leave, but Tara’s heart had stayed behind, forever with her soulmate.
Even though Tara knew Sunnydale would always be home for her, she wasn’t delusional enough to expect a warm welcome; she had left 3 years ago without a word, and hadn’t contacted her family once in that time. She’d made sure they were okay of course, Dawn and Willow especially, through Mr. Giles.
She knew of Anya and Xander’s reunion after her own disappearance, and had seen pictures of their second, much more successful, wedding; she knew Buffy had eventually gone back to college but was still struggling to complete a degree—in Psychology of all things; she knew Dawn was a good driver, and had joined choir her junior year, and graduated near the top of her class, and was about to start at UC Sunnydale, and still cried when anyone mentioned pancakes; Tara knew her name was never used around Will, and that the redhead had never seemed to heal from the soul wound her lover had inflicted. But Tara also knew that Willow was successful, had a career she loved and was good at teaching computer science, and that it was her choice to continue living with Buffy and Dawn as she had more than enough money for her own place.
Tara suspected that Willow’s life, like her own, was only happy on the surface, empty underneath.

Mr. Giles visited Sunnydale a few times a year, even more now that Dawn had been called as a Slayer, and after each trip he brought Tara back pictures. She knew that the only reason he hadn’t moved back there after Faith’s death was her; he didn’t want to leave Tara alone.
That was another reason she’d come, to show Mr. Giles she was okay. Tara had come to think of him, as she knew the others did, like a father and she didn’t want to hold him back, or be the reason he was unhappy. He’d helped her so much three years ago, given her a place to live, friendship, and the coven that taught her the control she needed. Mr. Giles had been there when she couldn’t let anyone else.

Tara was suddenly pulled out of her reverie by the sound of a nearby struggle, and her mind flashed to one of the slayers she loved, or worse, her own dear Willow, locked in battle. Without a conscious thought the witch was running frantically toward the noise.
And then she saw it, little Dawnie trapped under a vicious killer. Of course, she knew Dawn was no longer the helpless teen she’d known and loved, but her first instinct was to interfere on her behalf. Her hand was already itching to cast as she ran toward the struggle, but she knew she had to first distract the vamp or risk hurting Dawn, so she screamed the first words that came to mind.
She heard herself yell “get OFF my sister” before the familial term registered, and if she had had the luxury perhaps she would have questioned the wisdom of her word choice; after all, she had never referred to Dawn as her sister while in front of the younger woman, and after three years apart wouldn’t have seemed the wisest time to lay that claim. Only in her time away had Tara truly realized how much this family meant to her… this family she had been forced to give up and abandon. She cringed internally as she thought of all the pain she had caused, to those she loved and herself, before turning away from those thoughts; they could be dealt with later, when her little girl wasn’t in danger.

Tara watched in horror as her words caused Dawn to lose focus, watched as the vampire slammed her head into the ground… and felt herself fill with rage, and the power of the Goddess. “Quisque gutta sanguinis quae cepisti in venis ferveat,” she whispered the words that would boil his blood, burning him from the inside out.
It took less than a second for the vampire to turn to fire then dust, and Tara was at Dawn’s side in an instant. She assessed the damage quickly, finding that while there was damage it was far from life-threatening, and healed what little she could before floating the girl above the ground a few inches and gingerly lifting her. Tara still remembered the shortest walk from this particular cemetery to Sunnydale Memorial, the closest hospital, and began her trek at a run, Dawn’s weight lightened considerably by a small spell. Tara spared a brief thought for the oddity of her life that she knew by heart how to get from every cemetery to every hospital in a town she hadn’t lived in for the three years, then returned her attention to the task of getting her darling Dawnie to a safe place...

I hope, we'll have more happy ever after
I hope, we can all live more fearlessly...

~Jas

Post subject: Re: The Things Unchanged
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:13 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Wow, interesting start. Please do continue. Want a lot of updates (chapters) to this story.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:20 am 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Topics: 1
Interesting beginning indeed! It raises lots of question such as why did Tara left, why did she need control.. What has become Willow... apart from a computer science teacher. And all of that.

I'm really curious to read more. :)

Friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:55 am 
2. Floating Rose

Great start, hope to be reading more soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:14 am 
3. Flaming O

I was reading this with my morning coffee. It hate it when good fics dont have enough updates :happy ....so you should update cuz it was really intregeing...i wanna know why Tara left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 am 
19. Yummy Face

Great beginning.... I really hope Willow doesn't freak out too much when she finds out that Tara is back in town, and most importantly that Tara tells the Scoobies why she had to leave so suddenly...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:01 am 
29. Miss Psycho-pep-squad

Topics: 1
Wow beginning :o hangin on for more :D

When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew. -Arrigo Boito

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:01 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

That was vage. Need more info. Want more
Continue soon please

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I think the vagueness was good for the start, provides more opportunity to give backstory later and fill in the gaps on why Tara left after what I'm guessing was the famous kiss. I really like it and told you always that you would be a magnificent fic writer. I love this and you can guarantee I am going to follow this until the end.

writerfreak :flower

Soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:46 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Very good introduction. You've laid the groundwork for the backstory without making the reader overwhelmed by what's happened over the last few years.

The change in Dawn should be very interesting, although as expected, my biggest curiosity now is Tara. If everything up through Entropy happened, then she was leaning toward reconciliation so it must've been quite the danger for her to walk away. The comment about Tara, a coven, and gaining control is very intriguing. Was she gearing up to be the next big threat, or was more control needed for a threat that's yet to come?

Hope to see more soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:56 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

It's a good start to a story ... would love to see where you might go with this ... :D

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:13 pm 
28. Com...plete

Hey guys, sorry this isn't an update. I just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback, and let everyone know that I'm going to be out of town for a couple days, but I'll try to have an update by monday :)

~Jas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:30 pm 
28. Com...plete

Sorry this is so long after it was promised. It's also quite short and I'm not happy with it, but I am posting it now so that writerfreak doesn't hurt me. It will likely get edited in the very near future.

Title: The Things Unchanged

Summary: This story is set 3 years after the end Entropy, but everything after that point is completely different. The background story is rather complicated and angsty, and I'm not entirely sure where the story's going, but it will lead to our girls together and happy.

Disclaimer: I own nothing but my own ideas.

Rating: I'd say PG at the moment. I have no idea what it will be later on.

Spoilers: Through Entropy.

Chapter 2

“Oh Dawnie…I d-don’t know w-where to start. I’ve had s-so long to plan what I w-would say when the time came, how I could p-p-possibly explain why I l-left you, and I still have no idea what to tell you. I think about w-what happened every day, and I w-wish so m-much it could have b-been d-d-different…” A blush slowly crept into Tara’s cheeks as she realized how much her rambling made her sound like a stuttering Willow. Sighing and drawing on the reservoir of calm she’d spent the last three years building inside her, Tara continued. “I didn’t want to hurt you Dawnie, I didn’t want to hurt anyone. I was scared that I was going to hurt Willow, or make her hurt herself. And I…I couldn’t take that risk, so I ran. All I knew was I had to be somewhere safe where Willow wouldn’t look for me, because as much as it broke my heart I needed to not be found… So I flew to the one place I knew you would never think of.
“I went to see Mr. Giles. He gave me a place to stay and promised not tell anyone where I was. I’ve been in London three years now.”
“But…why? Why did you leave us behind? We searched for you. For more than a year we all searched for you, I think Willow never stopped searching. She’s been so lost without you…*I’ve* been lost without you…” As a tear spilled over Dawn’s brimming brown eyes Tara reached out to wipe her cheek, but drew back; she had heard the bitterness and barely-restrained anger in the teen’s word, and knew she hadn’t yet earned back the right to comfort her…so she decided instead to tell as much of the truth as she could.
“I’ve been lost too Dawnie. You’re my family, all of you, and I’ve been alone. Without Willow life just feels…wrong somehow. I never wanted to leave you Dawn. Please believe that. I left because I had to, and I know you deserve a better answer than that but… Willow should be the first to know.”

Willow stood on the threshold staring at the beloved figure she had feared for so long she would never see again, a battle raging inside, torn between running forward and running away, torn between love and anger, ecstasy and heartbreak. Composing her face into a mask of neutrality, an act she had mastered well in Tara's absence, she stepped silently into the room.
"So tell me."

At the quiet but unmistakable voice from behind her, Tara whirled around at lightning speed, and suddenly she found herself breathless. Before her stood the most gorgeous woman she’d ever seen, the woman who had held her heart for over 5 years, and she was at once exactly as Tara had known her and completely changed. Her bright red hair was longer than Tara had seen it except in pictures, the clothing was more refined and professional than what she’d worn 3 years ago, and the muscles that had begun to develop in her teenage years had become more defined and better toned with time, but there was no mistaking the beautiful specimen as her own dear Willow; it was the once-vibrant eyes that struck Tara so deeply and made her heart ache more strongly than ever for all the pain she had caused. Though still a green equal to that of the most hearty forest, still a shade that would be enough to enthrall anyone who hadn’t seen them in the past, their spark was gone, and they held a certain hardness that had never been present even during her addiction. The time had been when all Tara had to do was look in Willow’s eyes and see the soul she loved most in all the world, but know she felt as if she looked upon a stranger. Tara knew without a doubt that her actions were the cause of this change, the reason for this loss of spirit, and in that instant she hated herself more than she would have thought possible.
Shutting off her sadness much as Willow had done mere moments ago, Tara looked at her with an expression bordering what would be appropriate for meeting a once-close friend not seen in years: mildly affectionate and calmly happy, but betraying none of her devotion or love.
Startled and hurt by Tara’s apparent lack of emotion, Willow decided to continue in kind. “It’s good to see you again Tara. I’m here if you need to tell me anything, otherwise I’ll stop by later when Dawn’s alone. Don’t want to break up the reunion.” With this rather unceremonious farewell Willow turned to leave, tears already forming in her eyes at the incongruity of what just happened with all that she had spent years imaging would occur when (she had never let herself think if) she finally saw her lover again. Just before she reached the door, she heard a voice speak up that she most certainly did not expect...

Oh, and individual replies to feedback will be written tomorrow, as I should have been in bed half an hour ago.

~Jas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 pm 
11. Fish in the Bowl

I wouldn't have hurt you...much...lol kidding. I'm glad to see you follow orders well though, that's always a plus. And its a great, if short, update. I lovez it.

writerfreak :flower

And I'd think by now you'd be using my actual name. You've known me long enough.

Soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Tara is able to little by little break down the walls Willow has builded during her absense...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Thanks for the update ... more please! :p

I am my beloved and my beloved is mine
-- King Solomon's Song of Songs

Only reality can escape the limits of our imagination
-- Rivka Galchen, Atmospheric Disturbances

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself
-- Jean-Paul Sartre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm 
28. Com...plete

Replies to fantastic feedback:

tacoda13--Glad you like it, I'll try to get more updates. Knowing me they'll be few and far between but I'll do my best.

JujuDeRoussie--I hope things are (slowly) becoming clearer. I know I'm dragging out a bit, but I hope you like the rest of the story.

SmileyCC--Glad you liked the beginning, hope the second chapter was up to scratch.

Cup-- Sorry to disappoint. I know it's not much but I hope the second part helped.

Zampsa1975--Well I guess by now you can see Willow's reaction to her return, and we're getting towards the back story of why Tara left. Willow simply had to be the first one she told. Given that this is a Willow and Tara story, I can guarantee they'll both open up with time :)

jay/wt4evr-- Thanks Jay, hope you keep reading :)

viximon--Sorry it took so long, hope you're still around.

Manda--Glad you didn't find the vagueness too confusing, for whatever reason I felt like dragging out the backstory (maybe cause it's all I have thoroughly planned out yet, lol). And yes, I know you'll follow it until the end, and threaten me sufficiently so that there *is* an end :D It's always great to hear you approve of my writing, it means a lot coming from you.
Also, as you can see, I am fully capable of using your name.

ophelia11--Thank you so much for the feedback! Getting a good review from one of my favorite fic writers is awesome :) And yeah, I'm still working on just exactly how everyone has (and hasn't) changed, but hopefully I will do the characters justice. All shall be revealed in time...

LittleBit--Glad you liked it :)

~Jas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Sorry, I didn't get to give feedback until now. Been on skype talking to an old school friend, but I LOVE THIS FIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:08 pm 
6. Sassy Eggs

Still around allright ;-)
I like this second chap, better. Not just 'cause it seems to be just a little bit of explanation, but also de development. The encounter of the two was sure akward, odd. Most of it...impersonal. I'm curious to knoe more about the story so please keep it up