The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Stunt Woman (AU)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:43 am 
4. Extra Flamey

Feisty! I like! Poor Tara...I guess this hits especially hard because of Remembrance Day right now. So much senseless killing...

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:38 am 
5. Willowhand

I absolutely love this story. It's way different from most things out there, and it really grabbed my attention. I especially love the sugar packets thingy Willow's doing. That's wonderful imagery and I really needed the laugh.

It also shifted tones really quickly, really reminding me of the constant "is this funny or sad" thing Buffy had going. I love that!

I can't wait to read more!!! :party

Please visit my website

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:03 am 
18. Breast Gal

Topics: 4
I got a huge giggle out of the sugar catapult :lol And I like Tara and Faith having a laugh - Tara's still guarded and keeping a rein on herself, but it seems like she's opening up a bit. Compared to the beginning of the story, she at least feels safe enough to let herself laugh.

So, we learn some of Tara's backstory - she's been through a really tough time, no wonder it still haunts her. Not just being in a conflict like that, but being thrust into it somewhat unawares, being suddenly forced to become a soldier without even knowing that's what was in store for her. That seems to perfectly explain two very present things about her, firstly the suggestion that there's a softer, gentler Tara she keeps carefully hidden beneath her surface, and that she's so versatile and adaptable - she learned the hard way that she had to adapt quickly, or she wouldn't have made it back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:24 am 
7. Teeny Tinkerbell Light

Topics: 1
Sorry I haven't responded to feedback before now...

diamondforever:
Quote:
Poor Tara...I guess this hits especially hard because of Remembrance Day right now. So much senseless killing...

I actually hadn't thought of that (we call it Veterans' Day over here in the States).

mangled_monkey:
Quote:
I absolutely love this story. It's way different from most things out there, and it really grabbed my attention. I especially love the sugar packets thingy Willow's doing. That's wonderful imagery and I really needed the laugh.

It also shifted tones really quickly, really reminding me of the constant "is this funny or sad" thing Buffy had going. I love that!

Given the wealth of stories on this board, it can be a chore coming up with a story that hasn't been done. I appreciate that you think I captured the shifting tone that BtVS often kept in its episodes.

Artemis:
Quote:
I got a huge giggle out of the sugar catapult And I like Tara and Faith having a laugh - Tara's still guarded and keeping a rein on herself, but it seems like she's opening up a bit. Compared to the beginning of the story, she at least feels safe enough to let herself laugh.

So, we learn some of Tara's backstory - she's been through a really tough time, no wonder it still haunts her. Not just being in a conflict like that, but being thrust into it somewhat unawares, being suddenly forced to become a soldier without even knowing that's what was in store for her. That seems to perfectly explain two very present things about her, firstly the suggestion that there's a softer, gentler Tara she keeps carefully hidden beneath her surface, and that she's so versatile and adaptable - she learned the hard way that she had to adapt quickly, or she wouldn't have made it back.

It seems the sugar catapult was a hit. :party Tara's Vietnam experience is going to resonate for her in this story in a huge way. Also, we will get to see both Tara's softer side and her adaptability later on.

Thanks, guys! Always good to know that my work is appreciated! Happy Thanksgiving! (Oh...well, Chris, have a turkey sandwich and take the day off...) :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 am 

Sorry I haven't updated this sooner. I really need an agent to kick my lazy ass...

The laughter from Xander’s quip had barely died down when Tara spotted an unwelcome presence stalk into the dining room. “I, um, think I’ll excuse myself...”

“Don’t move, Darla,” Warren barked, turning Tara’s heart and stomach to ice. “I wanna talk to you.”

“Warren!” Willow said with false brightness. “What a delightful...shock.”

“I’m not talking to you,” the sheriff sneered back. He dropped down to his haunches to talk to Anya, who was lingering over her strawberry shortcake. “Did you get that camera out of the Dusenberg?”

“Sure,” Anya replied, her voice unabashedly blurred by fruit and angel-food cake. “The film’s in the lab right now.”

“Well, as soon as it’s done, I wanna see it.”

“Tell Warren that we’ll be happy to let him see the film,” Willow intoned, addressing Anya, “then ask him: why?”

Warren was about to answer Willow directly, then remembered “he wasn’t talking to her.” “You may tell your Ms. Rosenberg that this request comes from a source so high, that Hers Is Not To Question Why, Hers Is To Do It Or Else. Y’see, there’s this fugitive that was heading in this direction,” he continued, now addressing Tara as well, “and we think you might have spotted this Maclay girl while you were on the bridge.” He took a manila folder from under his arm and handed it to Tara. “D’ya think you might’ve seen this girl, Darla?”

Tara tried to still her heart, under cover of looking at the file. There were two pictures – of her. One she recognized as a snapshot her dad had taken in front of their house, just before she had gone to Viet Nam. It showed her in her Red Cross volunteer uniform, squinting into the sun, her mousy brown hair tied back into a pony-tail. The other picture was from a hospital near Nha Trang, after she and the remnants of the squad had crawled their way out of the jungle. It showed a malnourished, dirty girl with a haunted expression on her face, with long stringy hair that looked as if it had been washed with mud.

Neither picture was terribly flattering, but Tara was simultaneously thankful and amazed that Warren hadn’t picked up the resemblance between this fugitive and “Darla.”

Before Tara could think of something convincing to say to Warren’s question, Willow piped up. “Anya, tell Warren that Darla was so busy being brilliant that she wouldn’t have noticed the Carpenter of Nazareth doing the Stroll across the water.”

Dutifully, Anya looked up and said, “She wouldn’t have noticed.”

Tara gave a meek smile and shook her head in accord as she handed the file across the table. Various people gave it a look (surreptiously sneaking a look at Tara as well) before finally handing the file to Willow.

Warren, meanwhile, had a question for Tara: “Your hair always that color?”

This time, Tara had a explanation: “She sprays it everyday,” pointing at Cordelia, “so it looks like Buffy’s,” pointing at the movie star.

Willow was perusing the file. “Looks like an All-American girl.”

“Yeah, well, there’s a lot of weary, angry people who don’t think so,” Warren said, forgetting himself and addressing Willow directly. “In fact, this girl is wanted for – gimme that!” he snarled as he yanked the file right of Willow’s bemused hands. He turned back to Anya. “Soon as that film is out of the lab, call me. G’nite, everybody...not you, Rosenberg.”

As soon as Warren left, Buffy and Cordelia wanted to go dancing in the hotel bar, with Riley and some of the crew. “All right, but remember, children, it’s a school night,” Willow muttered, as she watched Tara shuffle out of the dining room.

Tara stuffed clothes into a small duffel bag that she found in Faith’s things. She didn’t like stealing, and hoped to someday make some kind of restitution, but she knew it was time to get out of town. She put on a down jacket and moved off, not really wanting to leave (for reasons she couldn't quite articulate as yet) but feeling she had no choice.

Unfortunately, her stealthy exit from the hotel was marred by the film crew that was already set up outside the front entrance. Similarly, Buffy and Riley’s plan to indulge their backstage infatuation with some discreet smoochies up in the hotel tower’s balcony came a cropper with the searchlights set up by the crew.

Willow was having a discussion with her cinematographer, Andrew. “I can kill the supers, light it from the back and give you a nice halo effect,” he was saying, perched on the camera dolly.

“It’s an establishing shot, Andrew,” Willow replied, lounging on the crane seat, “it’ll be on the screen all of two seconds. You can shoot for six minutes.”

“I need seven.”

“Six and a half.”

“Six forty-five.”

“Six thirty-five.”

“Done.” Andrew turned and called out to the assistant director. “Jonathan!”

Willow turned towards the tower and, raising her voice, addressed the actors, who were crouching behind the balcony railing. “Children! We are lighting! If you have noticed this, then you can be of use to us! Would you stand up and face the sea, so we can see those glorious profiles!”

Tara had to chuckle when Buffy raised her ram up, middle finger extended, and thundered back. “Liiiigght thiiisss, Willoowww!” Then she turned and walked towards the main road.

Unfortunately, Willow’s Killer Crane intercepted her. “Oh, now, where are you off to? Only in town for one day? What’s the hurry?”

Exasperated, Tara fixed her gaze on Willow, trying to ignore how cute the director really was. “No offense, but I’d like to leave before you show the cops that film.” She turned and stalked away...

...but not fast enough to avoid Willow grabbing her from behind, pulling her in beside her, and lifting them both from the ground. Before Tara could move, she was ten feet off the ground and rising fast.

“Y’know, you astonish me; you’ve never been to movies, apparently, in your life. What, were you raised by Amish wolves? Never heard of Movie Magic? Why, did you know that the original King Kong was only three feet, six inches tall? He couldn’t have gotten to second base with Faye Wray! If God could do the tricks I could do, she’d be a happy woman! What the hell are you worried about the police and the film for?” she concluded as the crane stabilized about fifty feet in the air.

“’What am I worried about the police for’?” Tara monotoned back.

Willow pursed her lips, then unhooked the camera from its mount, looked through the viewer for a second, then beckoned, “Look through there a minute.”

Tara looked. Lit by a dozen or so road flares were several police cruisers, forming a roadblock... “...lookin’ for Mad Dog Maclay,” she concluded dully. The full import of the trap she was in hit her at once. She might be able to evade the police...and she might not. She did not like her chances.

“You’re getting that look again, like you’re about to do the hundred-yard dash,” Willow said quietly. “You look like one of the serial killers out for a spree, ready to chop someone up with a chainsaw. God, that’s such a sexy look. Can I give you some advice?”

“Why not?” Tara muttered, deliberately choosing not to comment on the pass she made.

“Leave the chainsaw and be at the airport on Sunday. We’ll all fly off to L.A., where the setting sun bleeds into a million swimming pools that a girl can hide in. You can swim, can’t you?”

“I can swim like a fish.” Tara locked eyes with Willow. “Why are you trying to save my ass?” she asked, although she suspected the answer had little to do with altruism.

Willow returned the gaze with equal fortitude. “Because you’re as crazy as the young lady I’m making this film about,” she answered quietly. In a breezier tone she added, “Not to mention the fact that I’m falling madly in love with the dark side of your nature!”

TBC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:22 pm 
4. Extra Flamey

Holy hell, Willow is psychotic and I love her. :D

Nice to see an update at long last. I'd almost forgotten this story was in existence, but a perfect time to post this new one. I love the prose style you use -- it leaves so much room for humour, and you take full advantage of it.

Awesome job. Waiting for more.

diamondforever's fanfiction archive

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:45 am 

diamondforever wrote:
Holy hell, Willow is psychotic and I love her.

Keep that thought in mind. Heh.

Last edited by CaptMurdock on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:10 am 
6. Sassy Eggs

Capt Murdock
I'd mourned the early demise of this fic, and now I'm sooo pleased to see it's resurrected. I really like this desperate, dangerous(?) Tara, and the topsy turvy world of Willow's movie production. They both seem a bit nutty.

I'm wondering just what Tara did to have the forces of the law after her in such a determined fashion. She'd have to be regarded as a hero after surviving as she did: a brilliant example of American courage and ingenuity. Perhaps the PTB wanted to use her as political fodder but she declined?

Also, loving the humour. thanks Capt'n.
Anne

Every path has its puddle. Old English Saying... I think I just stepped in mine...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:24 am 

spells42 wrote:
Capt Murdock
I'd mourned the early demise of this fic, and now I'm sooo pleased to see it's resurrected.

I am sorry that this story has been on my back burner -- but then, I updated the other story I worked on, and well, there's only so many hours in the day...

Quote:
I really like this desperate, dangerous(?) Tara, and the topsy turvy world of Willow's movie production. They both seem a bit nutty.

Oh, yeah.

Quote:
I'm wondering just what Tara did to have the forces of the law after her in such a determined fashion. She'd have to be regarded as a hero after surviving as she did: a brilliant example of American courage and ingenuity. Perhaps the PTB wanted to use her as political fodder but she declined?

A la Jessica Lynch? An interesting thought... You've probably seen the parallels I've set up with her experience in Viet Nam and the film WIllow is making.

Quote:
Also, loving the humour. thanks Capt'n.
Anne

You're welcome -- and thank you!

Matt

Last edited by CaptMurdock on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:04 am 
18. Breast Gal

Nice, they're both a bit nutty - Tara out of necessity, Willow out of her craft, which is probably the same thing, for her. I like the sound of it though - I think Willow's nuttiness might be just the thing to take Tara out of her pessimistic on-the-run self and get her to loosen up, and maybe together they'll be able to muddle out a solution to all their problems. I love the visual of Willow swooping down on her crane :lmao

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:29 pm 

Artemis wrote:
I like the sound of it though - I think Willow's nuttiness might be just the thing to take Tara out of her pessimistic on-the-run self and get her to loosen up, and maybe together they'll be able to muddle out a solution to all their problems.

I dunno about that. I will say, it's gonna get interesting, the juxtaposition between Willow's autocratic ways and Tara's wartime experiences...

Quote:
I love the visual of Willow swooping down on her crane

YEah, me too. It's one of my fave bits from the movie.

Thanks for the note!

Last edited by CaptMurdock on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:28 am 
3. Flaming O

I like willow hear and plz update soon to see what going to happened with tara and wilow

Post subject: The Stunt Woman (AU)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:15 am 

Jiminy Christmas, has it been over a year since I updated this? Shame on the Captain! Assuming anybody's still interested in this story...Warning: it does get a little heavy here. Proceed with caution.

“Action!”

“Go!”

Tara took off across the tower’s balcony before the echoes from the assistant- and second-assistant director’s shouts had a chance to die. Dressed in an (deliberately) ill-fitting German soldier’s uniform, she outraced the “bullets” (actually just mildly-explosive squibs) that splittered the wood of the railing.

Right on cue, the door to the tower room fell outwards, crushing the section of railing beneath it, forming a ramp from which Tara could jump to the section of roof that Faith had outlined to her earlier. Taking a deep breath, Tara launched herself into space, clearing the distance handily and landing on the padding that would be out of camera range. Coming out of the tuck-and-roll, Tara ran along the prescribed line, while “enemy soldiers” took up the chase, climbing over gables and sliding down the eaves toward her.

Faith had gone over the route once more that morning, before disappearing with a “See ya later” tossed over her shoulder with an oddly lascivious wink. Tara had shrugged internally before getting fitted for the uniform, a close copy of the one Buffy would be wearing in her scenes; supposedly, her character was trying to disguise herself as a German soldier, with the expected unsuccessful results. Apparently, after this scene, her character was thrown into an asylum…or something. Tara was not exactly sure what was going to happen, as Xander was re-writing scenes at Willow’s direction.

Coming up to a gable on the hotel’s west side, Tara nearly bumped into two other stuntmen coming from the other side. Remembering at the last second her directions, she ducked flat to the roof, letting both men fly right over here in failed flying tackles.

Tara relished the chase, the adrenaline surge of running hell-for-leather over the rooftops, the pop and whine of faux bullets adding drama to the morning air. She had never told anyone how even in the midst of stark terror and steamy jungle she felt the thrill that few people outside combat or extreme risk can ever know: that the next moment may be the last. Here, even where much of the battleground was artifice and illusion, she found the dark ecstasy returning like an old disreputable friend.

Now she felt a slight disappointment as the end of the “gag” came near. Tara, still pursued by fellow stuntmen in wool soldier suits, grabbed the drainpipe and swung around it, away from the roof and the “soldier” who precariously reached out, trying to grab her sleeve. Right on cue, a small squib, triggered by one of the effects crew, cut the supporting wire around the drainpipe. With Tara’s weight unbalancing it on one side, the pipe, slowly at first, started tilting toward the other wing of the hotel, accelerating faster the further over it tipped. As the top of the drainpipe hit the wall, Tara let go of the pipe, letting herself fall into the awning that, due to meticulous planning, was right below.

The awning suddenly parted beneath her. Faith said this thing would hold me! she thought frantically. Screaming now in genuine terror, Tara crashed through the skylight.

As she plunged through the glass, trying not to get cut to shreds in the process, Tara sensed rather than saw someone, or rather two someones, beneath her. She barely had time to feel mortified and fearful of injuring them when she impacted squarely on the bed that the two people had vacated a bare second ago. Her momentum bounced her off the bed, onto the floor with the couple who were…

Oh, hell no, Tara thought as she did a face-plant right between two ample breasts, just before another flesh-colored body impacted right on top of her. Were they doing it? Oh, gross, oh God, how can this get any worse? Her attempts to wriggle away from the couple were futile as the two of them, with Tara as the filling in a very sexy sandwich, rolled across the floor and through the double door of the room, right into…

…a scene right out of Dante-meets-Hugh-Hefner, as Tara was hoisted bodily away from the couple, into a large opulent parlor apparently filled with naked and semi-naked people. Most of those who still had some semblance of clothing appeared to be in (or rather, almost out of) uniform. One older soldier looked at Tara indignantly and cried out, as near as she could make out, “What, are you mad? Take a number like everyone else!”

Like a crowd-surfer at a Led Zeppelin concert, Tara sailed into the center of the room, as a multitude of hands tore the uniform from her body. Screaming, she tried to kick out with her legs or throw an elbow back into a face, but the press of bodies was too much for her. Several of the hands, not all of them male, seemed to be copping a feel, and somebody seemed intent on tearing her bra off. She struggled to maintain what little modesty she had left, the shouts of the crazed whoremongers seeming to drown out her very thoughts…

“CUT!” came the sharp command above all the other noise, and the mood in the parlor changed instantly. The hands that had been holding Tara down and fondling her now helped her up on her feet and patted her on the back. A robe was thrown over her shoulders; it took her a second to find the presence of mind to put her arms in the sleeves. The roaring of blood in her ears was starting to subside; she could hear herself gasping for breath. When she was finally able to raise her head, she saw Willow and a camera crew checking the equipment and finalizing the scene that had just been shot.

“Pretty smooth for a first-timer,” came an unexpected voice just to her left, just as one arm draped across her shoulders and a can of Coke was pressed into her hand. “What do you do for an encore?” Tara didn’t have to look at Faith to know that there was a sardonic grin on her face.

Chugging a healthy amount of soda, Tara felt the post-adrenaline shakes start to hit her. Glaring at Faith, she muttered, “Why the hell didn’t you tell me about the awning? I could’a been killed!”

“Aw, well, Willow likes to keep things spontaneous,” the stunt coordinator replied. “What are you worried about? You were in your mother’s arms from the time you hit that breakway skylight. The two of us could’ve gotten you out of anything.”

“What ‘two of us?’” Tara asked, confused…then realized with embarrassed horror as, having finally gotten her wits back, she realized that Faith was wearing a bathrobe – probably over nothing. “Ohhhh, my God – that was you? I-I mean, in the room, with the – Ohhhhhh.”

“Yeah, and just so ya know: next time, it’s dinner and a movie first.”

Willow, meanwhile, was kept occupied with the thousand technical details, while still keeping one eye on Tara. I knew she looked yummy, but man, what a body. Ah, work first. Spotting Xander, she waved him over. “So, whaddaya think?”

The brown-haired, brown-eyed screenwriter sighed heavily; seeing the customary signal starting The Willow and Xander Show, the crew turned a not-so-surreptitious collective ear to the conversation. “Willow, do you know that when I read the Madhouse Scene to my family, my father stood up and shook my hand for the first time in my life? So, how is it, that your filthy little whorehouse scene is so much more moving, so much more interesting, and just all around better?”

With a cheeky yet wise grin, Willow replied, “Because it shows us that Our Friend The Enemy is a horny slob, like yourself, hopping into the nearest bed. Isn’t that right, Magic?” Turning towards Tara, Willow put the still-shaken girl into the spotlight. “Tell me something: when Faith’s boob came up and hit you in the mouth, was it just any other boob or did it taste German?”

The crew laughed heartily and, to a neutral observer, not unkindly, but Tara was nowhere near neutral at that moment. Summoning up her intestinal fortitude, she smirked back at Willow. “Um, I don’t really know German boobs that well. Why don’t you try it, Willow? After all, you’re the expert on bad taste.” Turning on her heel, Tara stormed off the set.

An uncomfortable silence descended like killer fog. Willow, chagrined, met Faith’s eyes, silently imploring her to go after Tara. After a second or two of returning the gaze stonily, Faith walked in the direction Tara took off.

The crew by now had resumed their set-up procedure for the close-ups. Buffy, dressed in the tattered remains of a German uniform, stood at the sidelines. Willow caught her eye. “So? Did you see that? You like? What do you think?”

Buffy shook her head in amazement. “What can I tell ya? I’m a brave sonofabitch.”

Tara slammed the door of her room, wondering whether she should change clothes, take a shower first, or just shoot herself. The blood pounded in her ears anew, so hard she didn’t hear Faith come in after her. When she realized she wasn’t alone, she glared at Faith. “Leave me alone,” she growled.

Faith fought to keep a smile off her face. “Boy, she really got to you, didn’t she? C’mon, Willow messes with everybody, don’t take it personally!” She stepped closer to Tara, staring hard into a reddened face, into eyes that swam with unshed tears. “You’re okay; whaddaya want?”

“I wanna feel like I’m not going crazy!” Tara blurted out, moisture leaking unbidden out of one eye. She wiped it absently with the sleeve of her robe.

Faith snorted. “You came to the wrong place for that. C’mon, something else is bugging you; I can tell.”

Taking a deep breath, letting it out slowly, the apprentice stuntwoman muttered, “I keep feeling like I…wanna thank her, for falling on my ass. Stupid.”

Faith shrugged. “It’s just a crush.” She chuckled, then continued: “And y’know, sometimes we mess with Willow, too. We might just be able to get her back for this.”

Tara felt herself smile, even as she felt her insides loosen up several notches. “How might we do that?”

TBC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:35 am 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Dibs I love this that was sure a shock for Tara and also very dangerous but Willow I can tell is in for it you are starting to build heat between them I like that the end result will be fire works. I am glad you updated keep it coming ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:47 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for great update-y goodness... I hope Tara and Faith find a nice way to get back with Willow...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:31 pm 
32. Kisses and Gay Love

Hello CaptMurdock,

I caught up today with your fic, it is a nice one.
I have not read the book you mentionned, but there are things I don't get?
I mean one. A woman part of the Resistance... during WW1? Well I guess it is like the horse? Lol.

Anyway I like it and I am curious about how Tara got her ass in trouble.

Looking forward the next chapter,

friendly,

Julia

"Joie est mon caractère, C'est la faute à Voltaire; Misère est mon trousseau, C'est la faute à Rousseau." Gavroche. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables (chap. XV)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 am 

JujuDeRoussie wrote:
Hello CaptMurdock,

I caught up today with your fic, it is a nice one.
I have not read the book you mentionned, but there are things I don't get?
I mean one. A woman part of the Resistance... during WW1? Well I guess it is like the horse? Lol.

Anyway I like it and I am curious about how Tara got her ass in trouble.

Looking forward the next chapter,

friendly,

Julia

Actually, the idea I have, that I will try to enumerate better in subsequent parts, is that Buffy is playing the part of a German woman who falls in love with an American flyer, played by Riley, down behind enemy lines in WWI. It's all about love and empowerment and Getting Home for Thanksgiving. You'll see.

Anyway, thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I'm sorry I haven't posted back before -- busy busy busy.

Luv ya!

Last edited by CaptMurdock on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:06 am 
18. Breast Gal

Heh, crazy Willow strikes again. (Mind you, I wouldn't mind being dropped onto Faith's bosom now and then...) Tara getting in on paying Willow back seems like a hopeful step - it's including her in the 'family', so to speak. It'll be very interesting to see what she and Faith come up with, and how Willow takes it.

Post subject: The Stunt Woman (AU)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:51 am 

Thank you, Artemis, for your kind feedback (and hosting of this fic on Through The Looking Glass. And now, the next scene...

The production crew had commandeered one of the hotel’s meeting rooms for a make-shift screening theatre for the purpose of watching the ‘dailies’ shot at the location. Tara had found the screening room a couple of hours after her big debut as a stuntwoman and sidled in, looking for an empty seat.

The projector was currently running the scene shot at the beach shot the day before, the one that Tara had watched being filmed seemingly a thousand years ago. Several crewmembers noticed her coming in and favored her with a smile. She had already received numerous congratulations on her stuntwork earlier; Tara was surprised how readily she was accepted by these people on such short acquaintance. Maybe because Willow would kill them otherwise, she thought ruefully.

Speaking of the devil, the director sat in the furthest row from the movie screen, watching the filmed scenes and possibly gauging the reactions of her crew to the sequences. Tara studiously avoided looking at Willow as she took her seat, wishing there were some way to confirm the itch-between-the-shoulder-blades suspicion that Willow was looking at her…without looking at Willow. My kingdom for a compact mirror!

Spontaneous applause interrupted her thoughts and turned her attention back to the screen. The wounded and dead rose up from the sand and took a bow, a gag that no doubt would end up on the editing-room floor but brought smiles from the crew and stuntmen. Tara smiled, rather pleased that she was “on the other side” from when she was a mere spectator.

A new scene was being shown: an airfield with an old biplane running slowly down the strip. Tara recalled, from a brief perusal of the script, that this was where Buffy’s character had to hitch a ride on a plane in order to escape more soldiers. The plane stopped and tipped over…

…revealing a poorly-made dummy bouncing in and out of the cockpit like a drunken jack-in-the-box. Groans and laughter filled the screening room as the shot played out, continuing as the lights in the room came up.

Faith was chuckling ruefully, as she had been directing the unit that had shot that catastrophe. She turned back towards the director. “Jesus, Willow, I’m sorry! We’ll do that again.”

Willow seemed more exasperated than truly angry. “It’s so awful it’s beautiful. I do wish I could use it.”

Xander rolled his eyes in his patented here-we-go-again manner. “So what do you want, Willow?”

“We need something…crazy.”

“A dead man’s boots dropped over his own airfield,” Xander scoffed, “that’s not crazy enough for you?”

“They did it in a film called Wings, Xander,” Willow replied evenly. “Even the dummy was bored.”

Anya shook her head. “Willow, you just will not accept the fact that we are living on borrowed time.”

“’Borrowed time’…We’re shaking a finger at them, Xander, and we shouldn’t be! If we going to slip something in, we should do it while they’re all laughing and crying and…jerking off at all the sex and violence! We need something outrageous!” she shouted.

“Like what?” Xander shouted back.

“Like…! Capturing an authentic stench of madness beneath all that good clean fun. I mean,” she continued in a lower tone, “why did we pick World War I, anyway? The last really romantic insanity. War was still a gentleman’s game and all that. Maybe what we need is a dose of reality to puncture that balloon…”

“Oh, now you want ‘reality’, Willow, I thought you wanted to be outrageous!”

“Reality can be pretty outrageous, Xander.” Willow scanned the numerous faces turned towards her, gravitating on one particular face, possibly against her own will. “Don’t believe me, ask Magic over here. A day ago, she was a young girl on the run; now she hurtling off building and doing things she can’t have dreamed of!” She moved a couple of steps closer to where Tara sat. “Tell me, Magic: what would you do if you were on the wing of that airplane, certain you were about to die?”

Tara lifted her chin defiantly, her blue eyes never leaving Willow’s green orbs. With a crooked smirk that made Willow’s knees feel suddenly weak, she said quietly, “I think I’d dance for joy. I might even do a jig.”

“A jig,” Willow replied, nodding, the thoughtful expression that Xander and a number of the crew had come to dread blossoming on her face.

Xander shook his head. “You can’t do a jig on the wing—“

“You’re right, a jig’s too— A Charleston!” Willow crowed, demonstrating in the aisle between chairs. “A Charleston on the wing of the airplane!”

“A Charleston is crazy.

Willow pointed to Xander in reply. “Exactly.”

“You’ll get a laugh…”

“Only when I want them to laugh. Right, Magic?”

In reply, Tara stood up, strode over next to Willow, and counted off. “A one, a two, a three, a four.” The two women began to dance the Charleston in the middle of the screening room, while the production crew counted and clapped in time.

TBC

Post subject: Re: The Stunt Woman (Updated 8/9/08)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:39 am 
19. Yummy Face

Yay for funny update-y goodness... I hope Tara doesn't end up doing something too dangerous...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:13 pm 
Ms. Moderator Fantastico
Ms. Moderator Fantastico

Oh for the days I too would have done a Charleston on a plane wing I like the scene and await more. :peace

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:56 pm 
3. Flaming O

Huh.
Wow. Interesting.... Intense. Hahha... reminds me of my backstage theater days.
It makes me confused to think of Tara as a veteran, and the way she rubs her war experience in everybody's faces smacks of unresolved issues and/or a recent experience. I don't really recall if you said exactly how long it's been since Vietnam; if you haven't, it's only been a few years, right? Especially considering that one of the recent pictures they have of her is right after she was picked up from Nam; but it can't have been only a few months, or the whole thing with "not being able to shoot during the war" wouldn't make sense... it would take time for the public psyche to recover from the war, right? At least a few years... if not a dozen. Hmmm..

Also, very interesting how you dropped questions into the story; masterful, even. What's Tara wanted for? What's Willow's deal? Are the pair really attracted to each other... have either had any homosexual experiences? Willow seems to be... a veteran of a different kind, but judging from Tara's whole nurse thing, she's... not so much. But she is in-tune with her attractions. I wonder if you'll go into that? That kind of thing really spices things up for me.

J'aime il beaucoup. Please, please keep writing this... finish it! I see it's been in the works for 2 years, but you've updated recently, which gives me hope. I vote more!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:40 am 
13. Big Knowledge Woman

Doing the Charleston on the wing of a plane?
It has been done before as evidenced by the 1930's musical "Flying Down to Rio" which is most well-known for being the fim in which Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers first appeared onscreen together albeit as bit players in this one.
There was a musical number, I don't remember if it was the Charleston but a group of dancers, through the magic of Hollywood, did an elaborate number on the wings of a bi-plane.
I'd offer to give Tara first aid if she needs it but she would probably refuse mouth to mouth unless it was Willow as her shining knight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 am 

Zampsa1975:
Quote:
Yay for funny update-y goodness... I hope Tara doesn't end up doing something too dangerous...

Aw, Danger is her middle name...which is quite a shock to her bank when they print checks for her... ;-)

Willowtree252:
Quote:
8)
Oh for the days I too would have done a Charleston on a plane wing

Well, that's makes one of us. I'm not acrophobic, I just have severe gravitational issues...

synthwrr:
Quote:
Wow. Interesting.... Intense. Hahha... reminds me of my backstage theater days.
It makes me confused to think of Tara as a veteran, and the way she rubs her war experience in everybody's faces smacks of unresolved issues and/or a recent experience. I don't really recall if you said exactly how long it's been since Vietnam; if you haven't, it's only been a few years, right? Especially considering that one of the recent pictures they have of her is right after she was picked up from Nam; but it can't have been only a few months, or the whole thing with "not being able to shoot during the war" wouldn't make sense... it would take time for the public psyche to recover from the war, right? At least a few years... if not a dozen. Hmmm..

Call it about three or four years after the war ended. And you have to remember, for some people involved in Viet Nam, the bad experiences did not end with the war...

Quote:
Also, very interesting how you dropped questions into the story; masterful, even. What's Tara wanted for? What's Willow's deal? Are the pair really attracted to each other... have either had any homosexual experiences? Willow seems to be... a veteran of a different kind, but judging from Tara's whole nurse thing, she's... not so much. But she is in-tune with her attractions. I wonder if you'll go into that? That kind of thing really spices things up for me.

Patience. Vigilance! :smug All -- well, okay, most -- will be answered soon...

taralicious:
Quote:
Doing the Charleston on the wing of a plane?
It has been done before as evidenced by the 1930's musical "Flying Down to Rio" which is most well-known for being the fim in which Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers first appeared onscreen together albeit as bit players in this one.
There was a musical number, I don't remember if it was the Charleston but a group of dancers, through the magic of Hollywood, did an elaborate number on the wings of a bi-plane.

I was not aware of that one. I'm not big on musicals, myself.

Quote:
I'd offer to give Tara first aid if she needs it

Yeah, wouldn't we all....
Quote:
but she would probably refuse mouth to mouth unless it was Willow as her shining knight.

Hee...funny you should say that.

Well, that's enough for now. I'll try to update soon, kids. Love ya! :peace