The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Fic: Shadows of Life
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:42 am 
I started writing this a month or so ago but I haven't had much feedback on it so it hasn't progressed that much. It is a W/T fic but it takes a while to get into it. Just humour me. ;)

Please visit my site if you have the time to do so. Thankyou. members.lycos.co.uk/centauri2002/

Disclaimer: I do not own any characters, locations, or related material of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They belong to Joss Whedon and co.

Rating: NC-17 for violence, language, sexual content, and adult themes.

Spoilers: Anything from season 1-6

Summary: Willow grieves her loss and tries to come to terms with her actions after 'Grave'. Giles decides to stay for a while and organise Tara's funeral whilst Xander and Anya have a much-needed talk. Whilst all this is happening, Buffy and Dawn discover a new threat. A very personal threat.

Shadows of Life

Written by

Caroline Tremble

Prologue

Thick dark puffs of cloud rolled across the horizon, warning the citizens of Sunnydale of the beckoning storm. A chill night air swept through the deserted streets. The inhabitants of the Californian town knew better than to walk around in the gloomy darkness. Terrifying nightmares walked the streets, hunting the foolish and unwary, waiting for their next meal. Only a small group of people stood between them and their innocent victims. The 'Chosen One' and her friends.

The Slayer shifted her weight in the slight breeze and wrapped her long leather jacket tighter around her petite frame. Beside her stood her younger sister, dressed in jeans, a sweater, and a small denim jacket. She shivered as the air seeped into her clothing and saturated her every pore. The Slayer smirked slightly. She had known that Dawn had come unprepared for her first patrol, yet she had kept silent.

"Why didn't you tell me it was going to be this cold?" Dawn whined. She thrust her hands into her jacket pocket and scowled into the night.

Buffy had decided it was time to give Dawn the chance to experience the nightly stalking of vampires. The young Summers had proven herself a few days ago when she and her sister were trapped in an underground chamber, fighting off undead creatures. She shivered at the memory. It had only been days since that incident, when her best friend had let herself be consumed by dark magic, rage, and grief. The petite redhead had almost brought about the demise of the world but Xander had managed to get to her in time. Buffy wondered how Willow was doing now. She had left the redhead back in her own room at the Summers' house since she had refused to go back into the bedroom the witch had shared with her murdered lover. The Slayer's heart ached as she dwindled on the thoughts. She shook the memories from her mind and concentrated on scanning the area around her.

"Not as fun as you thought it would be, is it?" Buffy remarked as she moved ahead, nearing the cemetery.

She saw her sister shrug beside her, the scowl still planted firmly on her face. Just as she was about to open her mouth and make a snide comment, Dawn froze in mid-step, staring at a figure in front of the pair. Buffy followed her gaze and tensed as she eyed the tall, white robed man. She narrowed her eyes, ready for any move the potential threat might make.

"Are you a little lost? The saunas are that way." Buffy said, waving her hand to her left. "A cemetery is not the place for a bathrobe."

Dawn let out a snort but the stranger in front of them seemed to ignore the comment.

As Buffy looked closer at the man, she could see his foreign features. He was deeply tanned and looked quite weak. The Slayer knew looks could be deceiving though.

"I have no time for your humour." The man spoke slowly, a thick foreign accent distorting the words. "I have come to warn you. Things have gotten out of hand." His features remained expressionless as he spoke.

"Oh really? I don't think we really need help but thanks all the same." Buffy spat sceptically.

The robe-clad stranger turned his back on the pair and stepped away from them. The Slayer could see an image of an animal on the rear of the robe.

"Wait." Dawn called out. Buffy gave her a warning look but Dawn seemed determined to communicate with the man. "What warning? Who are you?"

The stranger stopped and turned his head to the side but her did not face them.

"The younger one has more sense." His voice still held no emotion. "I am Thot, the one who knows all, the creator of spells, lord of the reed pen, the scribe who counts the years, supreme judge. I am here to warn you of the great evil that infects these lands from the east."

Buffy almost burst out laughing. "Fancy title there, mister. Can you say that backwards three times in a row?"

Thot turned around at her remark yet no emotion showed neither on his face nor in his eyes. "I am deadly serious, Slayer. I have come to fulfil the prophecy of the gods." He eyed Buffy. "Unfortunately, you are part of that prophecy."

Something about his words struck Buffy hard. She could not think of anything to say. She just stood staring at Thot blankly.

"Wh-What prophecy?" Dawn asked shakily. She grasped her sister's arm for comfort.

One corner of the man's mouth tilted upwards. Somehow, the gesture seemed unnatural on his face. "You will see, little one. I will return when it is time."

A soon as the words were finished he was gone. Buffy blinked, unbelievingly. One second the stranger stood there, the next second he was gone.

The Slayer sighed. "Great, a Slayer's job is never done."

Rupert Giles leaned against the table in his sparsely decorated hotel room. He was exhausted. Physically, mentally and emotionally. He wondered how much the human body and soul could take before it merely gave up. The Englishman had been busy arranging Tara's funeral for the past few days. There was a constant aching in his chest from the loss he felt and he wished he didn't have to be the one to make the phone calls. The funeral was scheduled for tomorrow morning and, by the looming clouds, he could tell the weather would fit the mood perfectly.

He sighed and slumped onto the lumpy mattress of his bed. He had contacted everyone to let them know the details. He had even considered phoning Tara's family but decided against it at the last minute. Aggressive family members were a problem they did not need during such a delicate time.

The ex-watcher sighed as his thoughts wandered to a certain redheaded witch. This had affected her terribly and Giles wasn't sure if she would ever recover from it. Besides the guilt of killing a human being, even if that person had been her lover's murderer, Willow would have to deal with life without the woman she loved. The loss of the blonde witch had taken something from the redhead.

"Her heart." Giles said aloud. He closed his eyes momentarily, an image of the dark magic saturated girl filled his mind. They had fought one another and Willow had won. In the end, it was Willow's own spark of humanity that stopped her from destroying everything, with the help of pure magic and Xander Harris. Giles shuddered as he wondered what would have happened if one of those factors had not worked. He would not be having these thoughts, or thoughts of any kind, he surmised.

The Englishman decided to get some sleep before the hard day ahead if him. He slipped his jacket and shoes off before slipping under the sheets. He had no energy to change into more suitable night wear and before long he was in a deep sleep.

END OF PROLOGUE

Edited by: Centauri2002 at: 10/12/02 4:41:18 pm

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Shadows of Life
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:51 pm 
Disclaimer: I do not own any characters, locations, or related material of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They belong to Joss Whedon and co.

Summary: Willow grieves her loss and tries to come to terms with her actions after 'Grave'. Giles decides to stay for a while and organise Tara's funeral whilst Xander and Anya have a much-needed talk. Whilst all this is happening, Buffy and Dawn discover a new threat. A very personal threat.

Shadows of Life

Written by

Caroline Tremble

Chapter 1

The bedroom of Buffy Summers was dark and gloomy, suiting the mood of the petite figure crawled into a foetal position on the bed. The redhead's body shook with sobs as she hugged a pillow tightly to her chest. She wished the darkness could push away the terrible reality of life but it always hovered over her, never giving her one moment of peace. She did not even try to wipe her tear stained face, knowing the old tears would soon be replaced by new ones. Willow was sure she hadn't stopped crying since her escape from dark magic a few days ago. A part of her wanted to go back to that unfeeling darkness, where she held no remorse and better still, no grief. A very large part of her yearned for the power to end it all but she knew she would hurt all those who cared for her if she did so. That alone was enough to stop her from giving in to temptation.

Willow rolled over slowly, hardly having the energy for the small amount of movement. She still held the pillow against her, drawing as much comfort as she could from it. She couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't face the world. All she could do was cry and mourn her lost love.

Tara. Oh, how she missed the blonde witch. Every part of her being ached for Tara but she was not coming back. No matter how strong Willow was, she couldn't bring her back, and that made the redhead feel even worse. To have so much power but not be able to save the ones you love; what is the point? Guilty thoughts flooded her mind. This is all my fault, I just know it. If I hadn't dabbled in the Black Magics then maybe Tara would still be here. This is my punishment. A new wave of sobs wracked her body and she felt as though she would vomit. Her mouth was dry and she felt dehydrated. Sharp pains stabbed at her stomach but she felt oddly comforted by it. It let her know she was still alive. Do I really want to be alive? Without my Tara?

A soft tapping at the door interrupted her thoughts but she remained silent. She certainly did not want any company. The tapping became more urgent and the door opened slightly, the head of her best friend popping through the crack.

Buffy's face was full of concern and compassion. It tore at her heart to see her friend in so much pain and it hurt knowing she couldn't ease that suffering.

"Hey." Buffy's greeting came out almost as a whisper. She slipped past the door and closed it quietly behind her, not approaching the bed.

Willow still did not acknowledge her presence. She just wished to be left alone, forever.

Buffy swallowed down her fears of disturbing Willow and walked over to the side of the bed, sitting down and looking at her friend. She looked terrible; dark rings circled her bloodshot eyes and she was extremely pale, even for Willow. She reached out a hand to stroke the redhead's dishevelled hair but Willow flinched away and turned over, facing her back to the Slayer.

Buffy sighed and placed her hand back in her lap. "You can't go on like this, Will."

Willow sat up abruptly, her head snapping round so she could look the Slayer in the eyes. Buffy could see only pain and anger in them.

"Why not?" She spat.

"It's not good for you. You'll just make yourself ill and then you'll feel even worse." Buffy tried to reason with her friend.

Willow let out a disgusted laugh. "Good, I deserve it!" Tears began to well up in her eyes once again and she tried to fight them.

The blonde Slayer could feel a lump rising in her throat and her eyes stung. She took a few deep breaths. "No you don't, Will. Please, I hate seeing you like this. Just come downstairs and try to eat something." She was almost begging now.

Many things were troubling the Slayer but she decided not to tell Willow about her encounter in the cemetery. She doubted the redhead could take any more bad news in her fragile condition, or that she even cared.

Willow lowered her eyes and let the tears fall. Guilt flooded her again. Everything I do hurts the people I love. She felt strong arms wrap around her shoulders but she didn't fight them. She fell into the embrace and let out the pent up grief. Even when she was alone she didn't let herself feel it completely. It was too much, too much pain. With Buffy there, it seemed as though she absorbed some of that pain and it was comforting.

"I can't do it, Buffy." She managed to say in between sobs.

The Slayer stroked Willow's hair and held her close. "What can't you do?"

Willow pulled back and looked into Buffy's eyes. The blonde's heart broke when she saw the grief in the green pools. "Tomorrow, I can't face it."

Buffy was momentarily confused but it soon dawned on her what was happening tomorrow. They would bury Tara tomorrow. She couldn't think of anything to say. She was going to have a difficult enough time keeping herself together and she dreaded to think how Willow was going to handle it.

"We'll face it together." She said simply. She reached down and squeezed Willow's hand. This seemed to relieve Willow slightly and the redhead nodded.

"Together." She echoed.

Anya paced at the entrance to the cemetery. She didn't want to enter as that meant she'd have to face the fact that one of her friends was being buried today. She purged the thought from her mind and glanced up and down the street. She wished she hadn't arrived so early but she had been so uneasy all morning that she had to take a walk. Unfortunately, the walk had led her here. She noticed a car pull up but she didn't recognise it so she turned away, staring into the cemetery. She wondered how everyone would act. She wasn't quite sure how to act; whether she should be strong, cry, or pretend she did this sort of thing all the time. Humans could be so strange sometimes and annoyingly unpredictable. She guessed that Dawn would weep the entire time whilst Giles would keep a stiff upper lip. She didn't want to think of how Willow would react to seeing the lifeless body of her girlfriend.

"You early too?" A familiar voice came from behind her and she froze. She knew it was Xander who had spoken those words, the same Xander who had left her standing at the altar, the same Xander who she hated for that, the same Xander that had saved the world by talking to Willow.

Anya turned slowly, shifting uncomfortably as she came face to face with her ex-fiancé. "Uh, yeah." Was all she could say. She noticed Giles behind Xander. He was locking the car that had just pulled up at the curb. It was obviously a rental. He walked over, sorrow written all over his face.

"How are you Anya?" he asked, slightly distracted.

The vengeance demon smiled at him. "I'm feeling sad and I have to say I'm not liking this emotion. I've felt too much of it lately and I just want it to stop."

Her words hit Xander like a blow to the face and he visibly winced. He decided now was not the best time to engage in conversation with Anya and walked through the gates to the cemetery.

"Did I say something wrong?" Anya muttered, not noticing the increasingly saddening look on the Englishman's face.

"The, uh, burial ceremony starts in half an hour. I suggest we speak to the minister before anyone else arrives so I can check everything is in order." Giles explained.

He followed Xander into the cemetery and Anya just looked on as she was left alone. She's dead, what could possibly go wrong? It's not like she's going to get up and walk away. No matter how much I wish she would. Anya chastised herself for using the doomed words that the Scoobies never used. Tempting fate was a very bad thing to do on the Hellmouth. Not that she was a part of the team anymore, she thought sadly.

The rain fell lightly yet seemed to soak everything as it did in a torrential downpour. It fell upon the faces of mourners who gathered around a sheltered coffin, blending in with the tears. The minister had just finished his blessing to the dead girl's spirit and he now waited for the deceased's friends and family to pay their respects. A small canopy had been erected to protect the casket from the drizzle.

Buffy stood beside the coffin, an arm draped around her younger sister. Dawn whimpered as fresh tears ran down her face and Buffy could feel her own warm streaks make their way down her cheeks. She looked around quickly, glancing at people as they stood solemnly. Xander stood silently beside Giles and she could tell both men were having problems keeping their emotions in check. Anya stood beside Dawn, her head bowed, and her hair covering her sorrowful features. Buffy could not see Willow. The redhead had seemed alright earlier when they were ready to leave the house. She hadn't cried all morning, she had managed to hold a conversation with Buffy and she had even eaten a small breakfast before she left. The Slayer had been relieved and even dared to believe the petite witch was beginning to get over the initial trauma. She now doubted that assumption and she was becoming increasingly worried at her best friend's absence. Willow wouldn't miss the funeral; no matter how much pain it caused her, would she?

The Slayer's attention was brought back to the coffin as she felt Dawn pulling forward and out of Buffy's embrace. Buffy moved forward with her and looked down at the lifeless form of her friend. Tara looked so beautiful and peaceful. At least she's in a better place, Buffy thought.

"It's not fair." Dawn sobbed, not daring to touch the casket.

Buffy wrapped her arms around her sister once more. "I know it's not, Dawnie, but it will be alright. I promise." She hoped her words sounded convincing but something deep down inside her made her believe everything would be all right.

She pulled Dawn away from Tara's coffin and led her a few metres away, waiting for the others to pay their respects.

Giles walked slowly towards Tara and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. When he opened them again, he gazed down upon the beautiful Wiccan.

"I'm so sorry this had to happen to you, Tara." He took another deep breath as a flood of emotion overcame him. He walked away quickly so he could instil some self-control.

Anya shuffled forward, her head still bowed. Her shoulders shook from her sobbing and she tried to get some words out. "I wish there was a man I could torture eternally for this." She sniffled. "But you wouldn't like that, would you? I'll never forget you." She held her hands to her face as she finished the sentence. She felt familiar arms around her and she fought the impulse to pull away. Xander was providing her with much needed comfort and she wasn't going to complain. Well, not just yet anyway.

Buffy watched the pair come over and join her, Dawn and Giles.

"Uh, where's Will?" Asked Xander looking around frantically for his best friend, his arm still around his ex-fiancée.

Willow watched as her friends huddled protectively together. She leant against an old, large, and very crooked oak tree, her arms pulled tightly around herself. Her auburn tresses stuck to her head and face from the rain and she felt chilled to the bone. Her green eyes fixed upon the deep brown of the coffin ahead of her. She hadn't had the courage to join her friends during the minister's sermon. She watched as a few other people went up to the coffin and mumbled a few words. They were probably some of Tara's friends from college. Willow didn't pay any attention to them; she could only focus on the shiny wooden casket that seemed to be pulling her towards it. She wanted to see Tara one last time but she didn't know if she could withstand seeing her like that. Willow had done such a good job of holding herself together and she didn't want to fall apart now.

Without really realising it, her feet were taking her forwards. She saw her friends staring at her from her peripheral vision but she didn't turn towards them. Time seemed to elapse extremely slowly and her eyes fixed on the open head of the coffin. The first thing she saw was wisps of beautiful, soft, blonde hair. Willow used to love running her hands through the light strands. She moved ever closer and her knees almost buckled once she saw the face of the woman she loved with her whole being. It almost looked as if Tara was sleeping. A deep, dreamless, peaceful sleep. Willow clung to the side of the casket to steady herself, drips of rainwater dripping onto the wood from her hair and face.

She reached out with a shaky hand and caressed the cold cheek of her former lover. Former. The word stuck in Willow's mind, as did the coldness in her hand. No, she will be my love forever. How can I ever love another? She felt anger rising up inside her but one look at the blonde-haired woman in front of her and it faded. Tara always had that effect on her. "Even in death." She muttered. She traced a finger over the blonde's full lips and without thinking, pushed her own lips to them. She had always been drawn to those deliciously soft lips. It was one of the many things she had loved about her girlfriend.

Willow leant heavily on the casket, feeling suddenly drained. She hung her head, her eyes never leaving Tara's face. She could feel the first stings of tears and she let out a heart-wrenching sob.

"Why?" she called out, her head snapping upwards to the heavens.

She was oblivious to what was going on around her but she had the feeling people were moving towards her. Maybe the minister was coming to tear her away from the woman she loved. She let a few whimpers escape her throat as she cried heavily.

"I knew this would happen." A menacing male voice broke through her grief. She turned, seeing who had spoken the words and her stomach almost emptied its contents. A wiry man stood looking at her with a superior look plastered across his face. She recognised him as Tara's father and beside him stood his scruffy son, Donny. Rage bubbled up inside Willow like lava inside an active volcano, ready to erupt.

"Nothing but evil could happen to that girl and it's all your fault!" He continued his tirade, motioning towards Willow and her friends.

Hot tears streamed down the redhead's face. "How dare you! That girl was your daughter and she was the gentlest woman I've ever known." Willow managed, her anger providing her with much needed strength.

Tara's father stepped forward and Willow noticed Buffy and Xander moving towards her as well. The menacing man sneered at her. "You corrupted her, you little satanic freak. She would still be alive and safe at home if it weren't for you." His words were focused on Willow now.

Willow couldn't stand his sneering face anymore. She launched herself forward and lashed out with her right hand, connecting with his jaw. His head snapped to the right and he fell backwards, sprawling out into the mud. He looked pathetic, writhing around in the rain soaked soil, trying to get up, his eyes wide with shock.

Donny moved forward, almost slipping on the wet ground and grabbed Willow by her jacket, pulling her close to his face. "I'm gonna make you pay for that, bitch!"

Willow stared blankly at him, unable to feel anything anymore. She felt completely numb, emotionally and physically.

"You'd better let her go or you're going to wish you'd never been born." Came the familiar voice of Buffy.

Donny peered over Willow's shoulder at her. He smirked. "Oh really?" He rammed his fist into the redhead's stomach and flung her aside. She gasped for air as she landed awkwardly on the ground.

"You get off on that don't you? Beating up girls. Care to try with me?" Buffy taunted him.

He didn't need much persuasion though as he sneered and lunged at her. She sidestepped him easily and stood with her hands on her hips as he turned around, his face becoming red. He swiped at her with both arms and she caught both easily, holding them out at his sides. He stared angrily at her, attempting to pull free.

"This is for Willow." She uttered as she brought a knee into his groin. He doubled over and it looked as though his eyes would pop out of his head. Buffy let his arms go as he dropped to his knees. Buffy sensed someone behind her and she reacted instantly, grabbing an arm that was aimed for her head. It belonged to Tara's father. He stood motionless for a moment, caught by surprise.

"And this is for Tara." Buffy said as she swung the older man around and sent him crashing into his son. This time, he didn't bother trying to get up again.

Buffy rushed to her best friend's side as Xander was helping her up.

"Are you okay, Will?" he asked with concern.

She nodded, staring at the two men who had disrupted the saddest moment of her life. "Bastards." She muttered before moving towards the casket again, where the minister stood in shock.

She leant forward over the coffin and laid a hand on Tara's forehead, touching the lifeless skin. She pressed her lips against the blonde's mouth for the last time and pulled back. "Goodbye, my love. I will be with you again." With those final words, she left.

Buffy watched as the redhead walked away, one arm pulled tightly against her stomach. Tears fell down the Slayer's cheeks.

The next day, Xander sat on the sofa in his apartment, a can of beer in one hand. He leant backwards and shut his eyes. The reception after the funeral had been full of tension. The unexpected appearance of the Maclay family had put everyone on edge and he still didn't feel comfortable around Anya. Luckily, Donny and his father didn't turn up at the reception at the Summers' home. Willow had disappeared upstairs and when Xander had gone to check on her, he found that she wasn't in Buffy's bedroom. He had walked down the corridor to the room she had shared with Tara and found the door slightly ajar. He had peeked in, feeling guilty at intruding on her privacy, and saw Willow curled up on the floor beside the bed holding a little crystal in her hand. He had ducked out of the room before she noticed and decided that she probably wanted to be left alone. He had then gone downstairs and noticed Anya standing alone, staring blankly at a glass of wine she held in her hand. He went up to her cautiously and had asked her what she was thinking. She had seemed a little surprised at him talking to her but answered anyway, saying how she thought everything was screwed up and just when you think you have something good, you lose it. The words had held a double meaning and Xander picked up on this. He had said in a very small voice how sorry he was and he wished it had been different, before walking away.

Now, he sat alone, moping. A knock at the door broke him out of his self-pity induced trance. He put the can down and hauled himself out of the seat, walking slowly towards the door. When he opened it, he almost jumped back in shock. Anya stood there, a thick coat wrapped around her.

"Um... hi." She said, looking extremely nervous and uncomfortable.

Xander just stood there, staring at her.

Anya folded her arms across her chest irritably. "Can I come in then or are you just going to stare at me all day?"

Xander blushed slightly and stood aside so she could enter. Normally he would just tell her to go away but today he felt different, he needed her in the same room as him, to comfort him. Sadly, often grief and loss brought people together. He walked to the sofa and motioned for her to sit on a nearby chair.

He plonked himself down on the sofa and studied the floor.

"Aren't you going to say anything, Xander?" Anya seemed unsure of herself.

Xander looked up and into his ex-lover's eyes. "What do you want me to say? I've already said sorry so many times and I don't think you have it in you to forgive me." He said sadly.

His words stung Anya but she didn't give him a scathing remark. They had both done things to hurt each other. However, if Xander hadn't left her stranded on their wedding day then none of this would have happened. Anger rose up at the thought but she fought it down again.

"Why are you here anyway?" he asked, as if the fact had only just dawned on him.

Anya paused; she wasn't quite sure why she had come. Whether it was to scold or comfort, she didn't know. The Scoobies had gone through too much hurt recently and she decided starting another argument with Xander just wasn't wise. He needed friendship and support and Anya desperately wanted to give that to him, though part of her wanted to see him suffer also. She hated how torn she was. Even though she was a vengeance demon again, she still had human shortcomings. It was extremely frustrating.

"I came to... to see if you were alright." She forced the words out and waited for the harsh reply to come.

It never came. "I'm not alright, An. I'll never be alright as long as you and I are apart." His eyes returned to the floor once again.

Anya had the urge to scoop him up in her arms but she resisted it. "I think I've spent enough time hating you for now, Xander. I'm ready to talk if you are." She looked at him intensely.

He looked up into her gaze, amazed at what he heard. He wondered if they could really work things out. After the incident with Anya and Spike, he wasn't sure if they could ever be together again but after days of loneliness and time to think, it became quickly apparent that he needed Anya. He let a small smile grace his face but before he could answer, the phone rang.

"Damn it." He cursed under his breath. He stood up and picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" he said irritably. It was Giles.

"What's up G-man?" After an annoyed response to the term, the Englishman explained that Buffy had information on a new entity in town and that they were holding a meeting.

"Oh great... I'll be there shortly." Xander put down the receiver and looked apologetically over at Anya.

"Looks like a new evil's in town or something. We're having a meeting, I need to go." He explained.

"Oh." Was all Anya could say. She stood and headed for the door.

"Why don't you come with me? You could help. I mean, you are the resident expert on demons and..." he hesitated but Anya turned to look at him. "... I still consider you part of the Scooby Gang." He smiled hopefully.

A grin broke out on Anya's face and she nodded enthusiastically. "Ok then." She grabbed Xander's jacket and threw it at him across the room before tearing the door open. "Let's go."

Xander held back a laugh. It looked like things might just be getting better.

Giles paced back and forth in Buffy's living room, his hand clasped firmly behind his back. He looked over at Buffy who was sitting in between Dawn and Xander on the sofa whilst Anya sat on a chair behind Giles. He had decided to wait until Xander and Anya arrived to impart Buffy's information of her encounter in the cemetery.

"Who was this man you encountered?" Giles asked Buffy. He hadn't been able to get much information out of Buffy previously.

"He was wearing a bath robe with a little ape thing on it and I think he said his name was Spot, lord of the ring or something." Buffy informed them.

Dawn giggled and Giles frowned. "Not Spot, silly. His name was Thot and it was lord of the reed pen."

"Oh dear." Giles said as Anya's face went ashen.

"What?" Buffy asked looking at her friends. Dawn and Xander's expressions were as blank as hers.

"Thot, the Egyptian lunar god of wisdom and justice. He is sometimes represented by a baboon or ibis and was credited with creating the written word." Giles explained.

"Great, now we have a godly nerd in our town." Xander remarked.

"Not god." Anya said suddenly, her skin colour returning to normal. "A demon of the messenger variety. He never meddles in human affairs though and hardly appears in most realms so his powers are unknown. He is rumoured to be extremely powerful though."

Giles ran a hand through his hair. This was puzzling. "Why would he show himself? What is his reason for being here?" He spoke mainly to himself.

"Well he said something about the prophecy of the gods and an evil from the east." Buffy shrugged.

"Prophecy? What prophecy?" Anya inquired, leaning forward with curiosity.

Buffy shrugged again. "He was being all cryptic and spooky. It was really annoying."

Giles took a deep breath. They needed to find out what this evil was and what the prophecy entailed. "We need to find out more about this but as we don't have many research materials left due to that... incident at the Magic Box, we'll have to make do with what we've got." They had managed to save some of the books at the magic shop and stored them in Buffy's basement with some items and weapons.

Xander jumped up. "I'll get the books. Wanna help, An?" he said hopefully.

Anya stood and smiled, accompanying him out of the room.

Buffy looked over at Dawn who had a broad grin covering her features. "You think they made up?"

A smile crept its way onto the Slayer's face as well. "Maybe."

Giles sat on the chair previously occupied by Anya and rested his arms on his knees. He tried to recall what he had learned of the Ancient Egyptians and their religion.

Dawn stood and stretched. "I know! I'll go get Willow and she can help us by using her hacker skills." She beamed, believing she had thought of a brilliant idea.

Buffy grabbed Dawn's arm and stopped her before she could launch herself up the stairs. "I don't think Willow's feeling up to it, Dawnie."

Dawn seemed lost in thought. "It'll be good for her to get out of that room." She looked up the stairs. "Let me just go and talk to her, okay?"

Buffy released her hold on her sister and sighed. She conceded that Dawn was probably right. Dawn sprinted up the stairs and disappeared out of view.

Buffy looked over at Giles, noticing how tired he looked. He was still recovering from his injuries, which he had received from his encounter with Willow and he looked completely exhausted. More than likely from arranging the funeral.

"Maybe you should go lay down." She suggested, a warm smile on her lips.

Giles continued frowning. "I don't think that's wise. We have much work to do if we are going to find out what this new threat is."

"And you think we can't manage without you for a few hours. Look, Giles, we had to do research and fight nasties whilst you were in England. I think we can find something out on our own. At least until you're rested." She gave him her best maternal look, mainly reserved for Dawn.

Giles let out a chuckle. "Of course, you're right." He stood and headed for the stairs. "Don't make any earth-shattering discoveries without me."

Buffy rolled her eyes and awaited her friends' return. Earth-shattering discoveries happen almost every day on the Hellmouth, she thought.

Dawn tapped lightly on the door to Willow's room and waited patiently. No answer came so she knocked harder, thinking the redhead hadn't heard her. Still no answer. She decided to take a risk and push open the door. She squeezed inside and closed the door behind her. The room was shrouded in darkness and a thick candle illuminated only one corner of the room. Dawn could make out the small frame of Willow huddled on the bed, clutching something to her chest.

"Willow." She whispered, not sure if the older woman was sleeping or not.

The redhead stirred and rolled over, facing Dawn. Dull green peered up at her through half-closed eyelids and it looked as though Willow had just woken.

"Sorry if I woke you. Are you okay?" Dawn perched herself on the edge of the bed, noticing the crystal in Willow's hand. The stone shimmered slightly and the redhead held it tightly as if her life depended on her keeping it.

"This is the doll's eye crystal." Willow explained, following Dawn's gaze. "Tara gave it to me when we first..." her words trailed off as the pain of the memory became too much.

Dawn laid a hand on Willow's empty and smiled. "It's lovely."

Willow sniffled as she fought back tears. She had just woken from dreams filled of her lost love. They weren't bad dreams and the redhead preferred her sub-conscious reality to that of the real world. She realised that she was probably having these dreams now because she was sleeping in 'their' bed, where Tara's scent still lingered. She looked up at her best friend's sister, her friend. Dawn was transforming from girl to young woman more and more each day. She was sometimes more mature than some of the Scoobies and had an uncanny perception of what went on around her. The young woman now smiled down at Willow, her love shining through and warming the redhead.

"Hey... Did you want something, Dawnie?" Willow asked softly. She pulled herself into a sitting position and placed the crystal on the bedside table.

Dawn nodded, the smile never leaving her face. "The Scoobies kinda need your help on a little project downstairs."

Willow gave her a crooked expression. This peaked her curiosity. "What sort of project?"

Dawn stood up and backed away from the bed, grinning mysteriously. "You'll find out when you come down. We need your expertise though. If you feel up to it, I mean. I wouldn't want to presume..."

Willow held her hand up to stop the flood of speech. She smirked for the first time in what seemed like ages. "Let me freshen up and I'll be right down."

Dawn nodded enthusiastically and beamed as she left the room and padded down the stairs.

The redhead watched her go and her smile faded. She wasn't sure she had the energy to keep up appearances. It was a struggle to get through each day alone. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. My friends only want to help me. Now's a good a time as any to give them the chance. She sighed; hoping whatever task awaited her at the bottom of the stairs was enough to give her a little relief from the constant ache of her heart.

Anya sat on the sofa next to Buffy, huddled over a thick, leather-bound book. She scoured the pages for any clue to the elusive prophecy Thot had mentioned. She couldn't recall any such thing from her centuries of travel. She turned the old pages, flicking past pictures of ancient symbols and rituals.

Footsteps on the stairs grabbed her attention and the vengeance demon looked up to see Willow reach the bottom of the steps, clutching the banister tightly. She looked pale and the usual sparkle in her emerald eyes was gone but she looked better than she had in days. Definitely an improvement from the black-eyed, veiny Willow, Anya thought, shuddering from the recent memory. She wondered if anyone had confronted her about her relapse into the black arts but she suspected not. The Scoobies had a tendency to tiptoe around touchy subjects like that when it came to each other. Besides, everyone was glad to just have the old Willow back, even this shadow of the girl she used to be.

Willow smiled weakly at the group who were now all looking her way. She looked increasingly uncomfortable under their gaze and she shifted from foot to foot, uneasily.

"Hey." She made a motion with her hand that resembled a wave.

Buffy stood and rushed forward. "You feeling any better, Will?" She placed one hand on the redhead's back and the other under her arm, guiding her to the sofa.

Willow sat down and lowered her eyes to the carpet. "A bit. You needed me?"

Xander slipped his arm over Willow's shoulders and smiled warmly. "Course we do. We need your nerdy computer skills."

Willow glanced up at him, a questioning look in her eyes.

"We need you to try and find some info on Thot and is amazing techni-coloured prophecy." Xander joked. "Minus the techni-colour."

The redhead let out a small giggle and everyone suddenly let out the breath they'd been collectively holding. Willow noticed this and she realised they were treating her like a dangerous chemical, ready to explode at any moment if mixed with the wrong catalyst.

"Guys, you don't have to worry about me. Stop treating me like a victim. If I'm anything, I'm the villain." She looked each one of them in the eyes. "I hurt every one of you. How can you be so nice to me?" Tears stung her eyes but she blinked them away. The time for weeping was over. Now was the time to face her friends.

Buffy waved her hands in front of her and shook her head wildly. "No, no, no. You weren't yourself, Will. We all know that. We're just glad to have you back."

Xander nodded. It was one of his worst fears to lose his best friends. He didn't know what would become of him if they weren't around. He would be half the man. And that wouldn't really leave much of a man now would it? He thought.

"Vengeance is a strong emotion. It makes you do things you normally wouldn't. Sometimes it makes people creepy and scary. It changes you but we know you wouldn't do anything to hurt us now." Anya chirped in, attempting to alleviate the redhead's fears.

Dawn leant forward on the chair she occupied and caught Willow's gaze. "I know what you were feeling. I felt it too." She looked up at Buffy, uncertainly for a moment but she pushed forward. "I can't deny that I wouldn't have done the same. I wanted Warren to suffer... a lot!" She hung her head guiltily.

Willow continued staring at Dawn. "But you didn't act on it. I did! I killed someone and I could have killed you. The people I love!"

Buffy crouched down in front of Willow and placed a strong yet delicate hand on the redhead's shoulder. She wasn't sure if she was believing everything she and her friends were saying but it was important to tell Willow she was forgiven. She'd never be able to move on otherwise.

"But you didn't, Will. That's what matters. We're all still here and we still care about you. Very much. Let us help you... we can get through this together." She felt tears well up in her own eyes now.

Willow gazed into the Slayer's eyes for a long time before nodding. She closed her eyes and swallowed, trying to beat down all the fear and guilt that had built up.

"Uh... so... research?" Willow said timidly.

Anya and Dawn filled the redhead in on what had happened whilst Buffy and Xander went into the kitchen to fetch hot chocolate and cookies. It almost seemed like old times if it hadn't been for the sorrow looming over the group. Willow settled her laptop onto her lap and typed away at the keyboard whilst the others sifted through books.

Dawn abandoned her tome and leant over the back of the sofa, peering down at the laptop screen. Willow was sorting quickly through web pages, eliminating useless information. Apparently, there was a lot of useless information.

"You haven't lost your touch." She whispered in Willow's ear. The petite witch looked up and gave Dawn a warm smile before returning to her work. Dawn's heart almost burst; she hated seeing her friends sad and watching the smile creep across Willow's face made her immeasurably happy. She hoped it was going to be more of a regular occurrence.

"Whoa..." came Willow's quiet voice. Everyone turned to her. "I think I've got something here." She typed a few commands in on her keyboard.

Buffy and Xander huddled around as Anya leaned in closer. Willow glanced up at them before revealing what she had found. Her eyes held a mixture of emotions but mostly curiosity. Obviously, the task had taken her mind off things.

"There's a site here that is dedicated to Thot. It was in an Ancient Egyptian font but I translated it with my trusty software." Willow beamed. "It says..." she scrolled down the page. "The messenger god will only appear before the chosen few of the prophecy of Dendara." She looked up at Buffy.

Buffy shrugged. "What's Dendara... or who?"

Willow scanned the page and clicked on a link. "Apparently, Dendara held a Sokar-chapel which was keeper of the udjat-eye. Thot guarded this and the lunar cycle for which he was responsible." She went back to scanning the website.

"Seems this guy had a lot of responsibilities in his job description." Xander quipped.

Buffy gave him a disapproving look and focused on Willow again. "That isn't a lot of help, Will."

The hacker held up a hand. "Wait, it says something about the 'chosen few' here. 'When the plague spills from our lands, the chosen few will unite to bring cleansing fire and purge all lands of the disease. They will bear each form of creation and stand firm against evil. Spirit will unite with the physical. Darkness will merge with the light. All will fulfil the gods' will.' That's all there is." Willow shrugged, coming to the end of her source of information.

"Oh great. Cryptic much?" Buffy snorted.

"Actually, that is of much help to us." Everyone jumped as they heard Giles' voice. No one had noticed him come down the stairs. "We now know what the prophecy entails and how many are involved."

The Slayer blinked at him with a blank look etched upon her face.

"Spirit, physical, darkness and light. Four beings that represent each 'form of creation'. It seems that they must work together to defeat this evil from the east. Unfortunately, we don't know what form that comes in. Neither do we know who these chosen few are."

Buffy raised a hand into the hair, meekly. "Actually, we have one right here but which one am I? Physical right?" She didn't think she was spiritual in any way, nor did she think she represented light or darkness fully so that left her with what she did best. Getting down with the manual labour or just kicking the crap out of demons.

"Well done, child." The familiar empty voice of Thot echoed around the room. The Scoobies looked around the room frantically for the demon but couldn't see him anywhere. He didn't appear to be in the room.

"I do not require you to see me." The voice said simply.

"Who are you calling 'child', baboon boy?" Buffy snapped.

A faint laughing could be heard. "You are the Physical, Slayer. The prophecy has been endangered. Only three of four remain in this realm. Only two can uphold their destiny."

"Wh-what do you mean? I don't understand." Buffy shouted, frustration flooding her voice.

Giles placed a hand on her arm to silence her. "Who are the other three?"

There was silence and no one dared to breath.

"Spirit stands among you. He is one ruled by his heart, not his head nor his body." All eyes shot to Xander who stood, opening and closing his mouth like a goldfish.

"I... uh... there has to be some sort of mistake..." he began but the dominating voice cut in.

"Light has been extinguished and the Darkness is fading without Light. The prophecy cannot be fulfilled and this realm will be overrun by this plague of evil."

Everyone looked at one another in complete confusion. It was too much information at one time.

"But who is Darkness then?" Buffy asked, trying to make sense of it all. There was no answer. The voice was gone. "I hate it when they do that." She muttered.

"I am." Came Willow's shaky voice. She didn't want to believe that she represented something dark but the description fitted her and everything seemed to slip into place. She had succumbed to the black arts and almost destroyed the planet. That was enough bad vibes to make her qualify for the job of Darkness. In addition, she had lost all perspective since Tara died and she couldn't find the motivation to go on with life.

"Looks like Tara wasn't only my light." Willow said sadly.

END OF CHAPTER 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:58 pm 

Summary: Buffy, Xander and Willow try to come to terms with their destiny. The Scooby Gang must find a way to defeat the darkness that threatens to destroy their realm but the ‘prophecy’ has been compromised. There seems to be no hope.

Shadows of Life

Written by

Caroline Tremble

Chapter 2

Buffy lay under the covers of her bed and let thoughts drift through her mind. She had decided the Scoobies would all function better once they were rested. Moreover, she needed time to think things through. She was beginning to get sick of all this talk of destinies. That word followed her around everywhere. Why couldn’t she just live a normal life and avoid all these apocalyptic events. The Slayer laughed to herself. As if I’d ever have a normal life. Besides, I’d probably get bored within a week.

She remembered the way Xander had reacted to learning about the prophecy. At first, he was shocked and scared but Buffy could tell he was warming to the idea of having a little meaning in his life. She felt a wave of guilt wash over her. Maybe it was her fault that he felt useless; if only she had made him realise he was needed. She would definitely have to work on that. For now, though, Xander had a major purpose and responsibility. The Slayer hoped he could withstand the burden that would become.

Willow, on the other hand, hadn’t really reacted at all. She merely sat on the sofa and stared at the wall, lost in thought. Things had suddenly got even more complicated and learning that their lost friend was part of something so cataclysmically important had stunned them all. Without the presence of Tara, the prophecy apparently could not be fulfilled and that spelt certain doom for the world.

Buffy ran her hand over her face, sighing deeply. She wished Tara were here. Then Buffy could ask the blonde woman what they should do and the witch would impart her wise and considerate advice. She wondered what the shy Wiccan would think of them now, even after such a short time. Buffy’s views on life had changed and Dawn’s restrictions had been lifted. Her younger sister had shown strength, skill, and determination, which made Buffy extremely proud. She knew Tara would be proud as well, as she was like a surrogate sister to Dawn. Then there was the shocking news that Anya was a vengeance demon once more. Buffy expected that Tara would be a little disappointed but she wouldn’t judge. The Slayer wasn’t sure what Tara would think of Willow’s relapse into the black arts but then again, if she were here to have those thoughts then Willow would never have lost control.

Buffy sighed again. Stop thinking about it. You’ll just depress yourself.

A soft tapping at the door interrupted her thoughts and if it wasn’t for her heightened Slayer senses then she would never have heard it.

“Yes?” she called, keeping her voice down so she wouldn’t wake anyone in the house. The door opened and a small figure crept in through the darkness, before closing the door again.

“What’s up Will?” Buffy said whilst pulling herself into a sitting position.

The petite redhead approached the bed and sat on the edge of it, remaining silent. Buffy couldn’t see her face properly due to the darkness.

“Will?” she urged her best friend to talk to her.

Buffy heard Willow swallow. “I couldn’t sleep… I didn’t… I didn’t wake you did I?” she said almost timidly.

The Slayer let out a soft laugh. “No, too much activity going on upstairs.” She said tapping a finger to her temple. Willow moved up the bed, closer to her friend and now Buffy could see her more clearly. It was obvious the redhead had been crying due to her red, swollen eyes.

“What were you thinking about?” Willow inquired, not wanting Buffy to start questioning her. She could see the look of concern on her friend’s face but she suddenly felt as though she’d rather listen than do the talking.

“Well… um… what we found out tonight and…” she trailed off, not wanting to mention anything that would be painful to the redhead.

Willow’s eyebrows shot up. “And..?”

Buffy shifted her gaze away from her friend. “And nothing, that was it.”

The distraught witch’s eyes narrowed. She knew her friend and she could tell she was lying. “Buffy… please be honest with me. I know I’ve done some terrible things but don’t I deserve honesty?”

The Slayer felt extremely guilty. She only wanted to protect her friend but the redhead was right; what was friendship without honesty? “Oh, Will.” She sighed. “I was thinking about Tara and what she would say if she were here.” The Slayer raised a hand to Willow’s cheek as a tear rolled down it.

“Oh.” Was all the redhead could say as she struggled with her emotions.

The two sat in silence and Buffy didn’t know what to say. There wasn’t anything she could do or say that would make the pain go away. She looked back on the very recent past when she had felt so alone and absolute despair at being alive. Being torn from heaven was the most traumatic thing that had ever happened to her. She was completely inconsolable and that was how Willow must feel. After all, from what Buffy had seen of the two of them together, Tara was Willow’s heaven. When they were together, they could achieve anything and nothing seemed that bad but all that had been taken from the redhead. Buffy knew all about that, and it hurts.

“I miss her.” Willow suddenly said. “So much.” Buffy could hear the pain and loss in the witch’s voice. She pulled her best friend into a comforting embrace and smoothed her auburn tresses. The Slayer could feel Willow shivering through the thin cotton of her pyjamas. Whether it was from grief or cold, she didn’t know. Buffy pulled the covers aside and pulled Willow down to lay next to her. She didn’t want to leave her friend alone tonight; she needed comforting and reassuring. She didn’t know how she was going to reassure her though. The redhead eagerly accepted the warmth Buffy was offering her and snuggled into the blonde-haired woman’s side. Buffy let a smile curve it’s way onto her face. Willow looked so cute when she was snuggling.

The redhead let her eyes fall closed and she quickly drifted off to sleep. Buffy remained awake for many more hours, watching over her fragile friend.

A towering temple graced a barren plain. Light seemed to emanate from the building itself, illuminating sparks of life in the wasteland. Yellowing bush-like plants spurted from between the gaping sores of the earth occasionally and a small spindly lizard snaked across the hard ground. The temple looked completely out of place in the doomed land, a ray of hope for the dying life there. The white marble pillars sported golden hieroglyphs that depicted the history of each dynasty of Egypt. A giant archway towered almost as high as the building and allowed entry to anyone who might stray across the marvel. However, this never happened. In this realm, no human or demon life existed, only the scampering lizards and the high priest of Thot. He stood in front of the giant statue of Thot, offering prayers to the demon deity. Long, flowing, white robes covered his body, except his arms, which were adorned with golden bracelets. His tanned face was withered but his brown eyes held a youthful yet wise glint. His forehead was tattooed with the symbols of Thot and he carried a sceptre with the head of stork-like bird at its tip.

“Oh Wise One, I fear for the people of Egypt.” His voice was strong and didn’t betray his age. He looked up at the tall statue.

“It is not only Egypt in danger, priest, but the entire world.” Thot’s voice boomed from behind him and the priest turned. He was always referred to as ‘priest’ and sometimes he was sure he’d forget his name. He was born as Amenhotep but if his god wished to call him ‘priest’, that would suffice.

“Yes, I wish there was someway I could help the ‘Chosen Few’.” He regretted saying the words almost as soon as he’d said them.

Thot shook his head, an angry glint in his eyes. “You know that is forbidden. I may guide them but they must find their own way.”

Amenhotep sighed and stroked the tip of his sceptre, subconsciously. “I understand, Wise One, but it is certain their world will be destroyed. One of the chosen few is no longer with them.”

Thot nodded sadly. He usually didn’t feel human emotion but he suspected he had been spending too much time around his priest. He couldn’t let anything happen to that world. Without it, the other realms would be thrown into chaos and the barriers between them would break down from the temporal fallout. “I must do something, priest. It frustrates me to see this world die. I have a soft spot for it. I will speak with Osiris and mighty Re.” With that said, he vanished without a trace.

Amenhotep smirked. His petty human ways had obviously rubbed off on his god. “Maybe there is hope for the universe after all.” He chuckled.

Willow felt the softness of a pillow against her cheek but she was too tired to open her eyes. She just wanted to sleep forever and dream peacefully. It was sometime in the afternoon; that much she knew. Buffy had woken her late in the morning and Willow had decided to move to her own bed. She had had a restful night’s sleep and felt better for it but still she couldn’t rid herself of the exhaustion she always felt lately. She stretched her stiff limbs and let a yawn escape her mouth but she still kept her eyes firmly shut.

She became suddenly aware of another presence in the room. She wondered if it was Buffy or Dawn and hoped they would leave soon if she feigned sleep. She could already feel herself drifting back off into the wonderful escapism of slumber as she heard her bedroom door close quietly. Good, they’ve gone, she thought sleepily.

The world around her faded and darkness crept in and claimed her senses. She was aware of a dream creeping up on her and she felt warmth beside her. A familiar warmth; one that she had craved since its departure. My mind is playing tricks on me again, she surmised. Why am I so aware of that though? Must be one of those dreams where you know you’re actually dreaming. She remembered hearing about this in High School and how you could control dreams you were aware of.

Willow flinched as she felt the warmth reach out to her and wrap itself around her waist. She relaxed and rolled onto her side, backing into the curvaceous body behind her. Mmm, feels good. It feels so real. She sighed inwardly.

Her eyes shot open and she wrenched her body into a sitting position. She looked beside her and almost passed out. Lying there was the one person she never expected to see again. Blonde hair sprawled out onto the pillow, long eyelashes obscuring deep blue pools, a plain white dress covering soft curves. Tinges of vanilla and sandalwood teased Willow’s sense of smell and she reached out to touch what she was sure was a mirage. She pulled her hand back quickly before she could meet the thin fabric of the woman’s dress. Swiftly moving off the bed, Willow wrapped her arms around her waist and held back the sobs that were trying to escape her throat.

Why do I have to do this to myself? She scolded herself, inwardly.

She closed her eyes and shook her head, hoping that would break the illusion she had created. She heard the bed creak slightly as weight was shifted on it. Oh goddess, the bed must be hallucinating too! Hang on a sec… beds can’t react to my illusions… so I shouldn’t be hearing… She left her thought hanging as she opened her eyes once more to see the beautiful blonde approaching her.

The blonde wasn’t smiling but her eyes showed her emotions clearly, as they always had. Willow could see joy there, as well as sorrow and fear.

“T-Tara?” Willow croaked out, tears pricking her eyes.

The hallucination inched closer to her and raised a trembling hand to the redhead’s cheek, wiping away the fresh moisture there. The blonde let out a tiny sob and in one swift motion pulled Willow towards her and into a tight embrace. It felt so real to Willow and she couldn’t care if it was fake anymore; she needed this. She knew she’d suffer for it later but it comforted her now and that was all that mattered for the moment.

“It’s me, love.” Tara’s voice sounded so serene to Willow’s ears and she hugged the blonde tighter, never wanting to let go.

Tara pulled back and looked into glazed emerald eyes. “But I can’t stay.”

Willow nodded slowly. “I know, baby. You never do.”

A look of confusion crossed Tara’s face. She searched the redhead’s face for an answer and as realisation dawned on her, she cried. She cried for all the pain Willow had been through and all the pain she would have to go through again.

“Oh Will, I’m so sorry. I should never have come. I didn’t know…” She didn’t know what to say but she now knew it had been a mistake to reveal herself to the redhead.

Willow’s eyes widened and her lips parted as if she would say something but no words came. Her head told her this woman was not here but her senses and her heart told her otherwise. This isn’t possible. Willow’s mind screamed.

Tara dropped her arms to her sides and stepped back, breaking eye contact with Willow, hanging her head slightly. She turned and looked towards the window, then down at a spot on the floor beside the bed. Memories flooded her mind and she moved towards the door, needing to relieve that pain of the woman she loved. She needed to be away from her, even though it pained the blonde woman to think it.

Willow lunged forward, grabbing Tara’s hand and spinning her around.

“N-no. Don’t go. Please.” She whimpered. Tara always had problems saying no to this woman. The thought left a small smile on her face. “A-are you…” Willow paused, swallowing the lump in her throat. “Real?”

Tara simply nodded.

Willow’s knees finally gave in and she sunk to the ground, her strength leaving her completely. “How?” she whispered.

Tara knelt down in front of the fragile redhead and encased her in her arms, lifting her head up to meet her eyes. “Willow…”

The redhead blinked away her tears and gazed into the blue pools of pure love.

“I… I shouldn’t be here.” Tara’s words stung Willow and she tried to pull away but the blonde woman held her firmly in place. “This is too much for you… for both of us and I… I can’t s-stay.”

Willow didn’t understand. “Why not?”

Tara sighed. She didn’t know that much herself but it had been made clear to her that her passage to this plain of existence was temporary. She was granted the time needed to complete the prophecy. Thot had come to her and given her few details on what was to happen and why. She was left confused and worried. Initially she was overjoyed at being able to see Willow again. Even though her soul was in a heavenly place, it seemed like hell as long as she was without her soul mate. Now it was clear to her that she was causing more pain than happiness.

“I don’t belong here, Willow. It’s my time. As soon as the prophecy is fulfilled I have to go.”

Willow shook her head. “No! You do belong here. With me.” She clutched at Tara’s dress.

“It’s not my choice. It’s just the way things are.” A pained expression covered the blonde’s face and leaned into Willow, resting her head against the redhead’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Will.”

Willow mirrored the blonde’s actions and breathed in her love’s scent. “It doesn’t matter, Tara. You’re here now. Just hold me.”

The Summer’s living room was once again occupied by the Scooby Gang, minus one. Dawn, Xander, and Anya sat on the sofa whilst Buffy paced, waiting for Giles to say something. She had let her friends know what she had been thinking about the night before, just for the sake of getting it out of her head. Xander had also explained his thoughts on the situation but it was a much less complex version than that of Buffy’s train of thought. “I’m one of the chosen few, right? I have a destiny and I’m going to do my best to do my part. Simple enough.” He had said. Buffy laughed but didn’t expand on her amusement. Now she was waiting for her old watcher to offer some sort of answer to their problem.

“I really can’t think of a way we can get around the missing ‘Light’. Everything I was able to find on the prophecy tells of how important it is that all four ‘chosen few’ are present and play their part. It is most worrying.”

A high-pitched whistle passed through the room and Dawn let out a short squeal at the suddenness of it. An image of the robed man from the cemetery appeared in front of Buffy. The hazy image solidified and Thot stood looking down on the Slayer.

“Well, you do like your unusual entrances and exits, don’t you?” Buffy remarked, her hands on her hips.

Thot ignored her and turned to Giles and the three on the sofa. “Worry not, the ‘Light’ has been re-ignited for the occasion.” He smiled slightly.

“Huh?” Xander scrunched his face up in confusion. The rest of the gang were equally as bemused by Thot’s statement.

The demon turned to face the Slayer once more. “Though it meant violating the laws of mortality, I was able to allow the ‘Light’ temporary passage here, until her destiny is complete.” He explained in simpler terms.

Buffy stood gaping at him. His words sunk in but she never thought it possible. She saw him glance up the stairs briefly before returning his attention to her. “She’s up there?”

Thot nodded.

“H-How long?” The strained voice of Dawn came from behind them. She was obviously still confused, the information too much for her to take.

“Until the prophecy is completed. I cannot interfere any further. The rest is up to you now. Just remember, the ‘Light’ returns after her task is complete.” His image shimmered for a second before he disappeared.

The Slayer just stood staring at the spot the demon had been standing in. She digested the new information and her gaze wandered to the staircase. Part of her was happy her departed friend was back but her heart ached at knowing how she would be lost again.

“Poor Will.” She heard Xander’s voice but didn’t turn to look at him. This would be incredibly hard on the petite redhead but Buffy was damn sure she would help her best friend through it. She couldn’t bear to see her go through all that pain again.

Tara lay back on the bed she used to share with Willow, the redhead sleeping against her chest, an arm slung around her waist. It felt good to be in such a familiar position with the woman she loved. She had missed it so much and every minute she spent in death felt like an eternity. She longed for the touch of the other witch, the gentle caresses, the passion, the love. She knew the time they had together was short but she didn’t want to think about that now, she just wanted to focus on the beautiful woman sprawled across her.

The sun was beginning to set, reds and oranges spilling into the room and across the two Wiccan’s bodies. Tara was transfixed by how the light made Willow’s hair look as if it were a living flame. She ran a hand through the soft strands, relishing the feeling.

The redhead stirred, murmuring slightly as she was roused from her dream state. She pulled Tara closer to her and snuggled against the blonde’s neck. A grin spread across Tara’s face and she couldn’t help but let out a small giggle. Willow’s eyelids flickered open and she looked directly into blonde locks and soft skin. The scent and closeness of the blonde comforted her and made her feel safe. She pressed her lips against the inviting and sensitive skin in front of her, making Tara shudder. The shy witch let out a small whimper. How she had missed the contact. Willow continued to nuzzle the other woman’s neck, trailing kisses up and down the creamy skin.

Pleasure flooded Tara’s senses but thoughts crept passed the sensations. “Willow… Maybe we shouldn’t…”

Willow reluctantly pulled her head away from Tara’s neck and looked into her deep blue eyes, their faces only inches apart. The blonde haired woman could feel the redhead’s breath upon her lips and she found it hard to focus on what she wanted to say.

Willow seemed to understand though. “I know you can’t stay and I know it’s going to hurt like hell when you do go but I can’t not touch you, feel you, love you.”

Tara knew exactly what her soul mate meant because she was feeling it as well. Any resolve she had before left her completely as Willow leant forward, closing the small gap between them.

Their lips met and both women felt familiar sensations course through them. It was like electricity, awakening every single one of their nerves and senses. The kiss was gentle and loving but soon Tara felt desire rise up inside her as Willow parted the blonde’s lips with her tongue. Tara allowed her to explore her mouth, their tongues meeting and dancing around one another’s. She ran her hands down Willow’s back and the redhead repositioned herself over Tara’s body, straddling her hips, never breaking the kiss. The kiss had become suddenly urgent and full of need as if either one of them could disappear at any moment.

Willow’s hands roamed over the thin material of Tara’s dress and down the blonde’s arms, meeting the bared skin there. Tara entangled her fingers in the redhead’s hair and pulled her closer, their bodies melting into one another’s.

Tara was first to break the kiss and she stared into the darkened green eyes of her lover. “I love you, Willow.” She had felt the immediate urge to say those words and she didn’t know why.

Willow smiled warmly. “And I love you…” She leant forward and placed a quick kiss on the blonde’s lips. “…Always.” She kissed her way from Tara’s mouth to her neck, taking her time in worshipping the skin there. The blonde Wiccan let out a quiet moan and let her hands wander down Willow’s back once more, slipping underneath the fabric of her pyjamas. She felt the smooth skin of the redhead’s back and shoulders, pulling the pyjama top upwards as she caressed the skin. Willow ran her tongue along Tara’s collarbone and up to her throat, leaving goose bumps in her wake. Tara shivered at the touch, becoming increasingly aroused. The redhead’s hand travelled over Tara’s stomach and down to her thigh, leaving fleeting touches wherever it went. She reached the hem of the dress and tugged it upwards, needing to feel the blonde’s skin against her. Tara pushed Willow away slightly, eliciting a pout-y look from her. She pulled the long white dress upwards and over her head, leaving her completely naked. Willow’s eyes darkened with desire as she gazed down on her beautiful lover. She then pulled her own pyjama top over her head and lowered herself onto the blonde woman, enjoying the feeling of skin on skin. Willow remembered how the two of them would lay for hours together, basking in each other’s love.

Willow ran her hand over Tara’s ribs, making the blonde flinch.

“Hey, that tickles.” The blonde witch complained.

Willow giggled and continued her journey, caressing the soft skin around Tara’s breast. She moved her head so she could press her lips against her lover’s collarbone. She laid a trail of kisses across Tara’s skin and hovered above a pert nipple. Her hand caressing the skin around the blonde’s right breast moved upwards and she flicked her thumb across the nipple, making Tara gasp.

She then flicked her tongue out, teasing the other nipple. Tara arched her back, wanting more contact. Willow’s free hand lazily caressed Tara’s inner thigh.

Tara was so aroused now and Willow’s continual teasing was making her go mad. “Willow, please…” She whimpered.

Willow took one of the blonde’s nipples fully into her mouth and ran her tongue around it. She straddled Tara’s thigh and moved her hand higher on her lover’s thigh. She ran two fingers along the outside of Tara’s moist sex, the blonde taking a sharp intake of air at the contact. She pushed her thigh against Willow’s groin and the redhead moaned, moving her hips against the leg to increase the pleasurable sensations. Willow slipped a finger inside Tara and the blonde moaned her name. The redhead moved her lips to the blonde’s neck and began to nibble and lick the skin there. She slid another finger inside her lover, moving them rhythmically in and out. Tara arched her back and pushed her thigh up harder against the redhead’s sex. Willow’s breaths came in ragged gasps. Tara could feel herself coming close to release and, from her lover’s actions, knew that Willow was close as well. Willow’s hand pumped faster and harder, her thumb stimulating Tara’s clitoris, making her lover’s muscles tense.

The blonde’s inner muscles clamped around Willow’s hand and she called out the redhead’s name as she climaxed, her lover coming shortly after her.

Willow withdrew her hand and relaxed onto the blonde’s chest, attempting to steady her breathing. Tara calmed herself enough to become aware of her surroundings again and she wrapped her arms around the woman snuggled against her.

“Wow…” Willow muttered. She looked up at Tara and placed her lips against the blonde’s, savouring the kiss. “And may I add… Wow.”

Tara grinned and blushed slightly. Willow still had that effect on her.

The redhead settled back down on Tara’s chest and trailed a hand soothingly across her lover’s stomach. The blonde let her eyes drift closed and allowed a peaceful slumber to claim her. She and Willow were happy at that moment and that was all that mattered to the two of them, for now.

“Love you.” Were the last words the blonde heard before sleep swept her away.

Impatiently, Dawn stomped from one side of the kitchen to the other, thoughts drifting through her mind. It had been hours since Tara’s presence had been revealed to them but her older sister refused to let anyone go up the stairs and see for themselves. It infuriated the young Summers. She understood that Willow needed a little time to adjust to Tara’s being there and talk to her but she wasn’t the only one who loved the blonde witch. Dawn desperately wanted to throw herself into the arms of the gentlest and most understanding woman she had ever known.

She glanced out into the living room and saw the rest of the Scoobies exchanging light conversation in a feeble attempt to steer their minds away from the overbearing news they had just received. Buffy looked up from her vantage point on the sofa and smiled at her sibling.

Dawn slipped into the room and folded her arms across her chest. “I don’t know about you guys but I’ve waited around long enough.” She stuck her jaw out defiantly.

Giles looked at her as she spoke, removing his glasses and cleaning them with a small cloth. “Dawn, I think it best if we wait for Tara to show herself to us. It may take some time until she is ready.”

Dawn shook her head. No one seemed to look upon things as she did. “What if something went wrong? Travelling to… here… from wherever she was might have been hard on her. She might need our help.”

Buffy stood up immediately, recognising the wisdom in her sister’s words. She nodded to Dawn and the pair hastily climbed the stairs, pausing before they reached the door to Willow’s room. The Slayer glanced at the taller girl and then at the door before slowly moving her hand to the door handle. She pushed the door open and before she looked into the room, something washed over her senses. Something that told her she should not be intruding. Dawn brushed passed her before the Slayer could stop her and entered the room, freezing suddenly as she looked at the bed.

Buffy stepped up behind Dawn, resigned to the fact that she couldn’t stop the interruption now. Snuggled together under a thin red sheet lay Willow and Tara. The blonde Wiccan shifted suddenly, staring wide-eyed at the pair in the doorway, a blush creeping its way over her face and down her neck.

“Um… hi.” She said, embarrassment making speech almost impossible.

Dawn ignored the position the two witches were in and instead ran forward and leapt onto the bed, throwing her arms around a startled Tara. The redhead beside her jumped and clutched at the covers as she realised they were not alone. She couldn’t speak, her sleep clouded mind only taking in the ecstatic face of the young brunette and the Slayer’s awkward expression.

“S-sorry guys.” Buffy spurted, wanting to run from the room but her feet not making any attempt to move.

Dawn pulled away from Tara and looked into her loving blue eyes. “I’m so glad you’re here.” She beamed.

The brunette suddenly realised what had been going on in the room perhaps only a short time before she had rushed in, and timidly backed away off the bed and towards her sister.

Willow finally came to her senses. “You knew?”

Buffy nodded. “Thot decided to make a house call and fill us in.”

Tara slipped her hand under the sheet and over Willow’s slender fingers. “C-can you give us a minute? We’ll be right d-down.”

Buffy nodded again and pulled a still smiling Dawn from the room, closing the door behind them.

Willow let out a long sigh and fell back into the pillow, gazing up at the ceiling. Tara looked down at her lover, watching as a myriad of emotions washed over her features. “What’s going on inside that head of yours?” She asked, stroking the red tresses lovingly.

The redhead’s green eyes locked onto Tara’s own blue ones. “It’s just…” She reached up and cupped the blonde’s cheek. “We’re going to have to face the harsh reality of it all now. No more Will and Tara; just Light and Darkness. I don’t want any of that, baby. I just want you.”

Tara smiled sadly. “I know, darling but you’re wrong. There will always be a you and me. I will always be with you. You know that right?”

The redhead merely nodded before pulling her down into a tight embrace, never wanting to let her lover go. Willow could still feel the contentment from their lovemaking and she wanted more time to bask in that. To feel the warm body and soft skin next to her. Just to feel.

Tara stood in the bathroom, staring at her reflection in the mirror. Her mind attempted to comprehend what was happening to her. She found it hard to believe she was back; back in the company of the woman she loved; back in the house where she was accepted for who she was; back in a mortal form. She ran a hand over the soft skin of her cheek. But not for long, she thought, sadly.

She glanced back at the door leading to Willow’s bedroom. What am I doing? She looked back at her reflection, sighing heavily. You’re just going to hurt her more. You’re so selfish, she scorned herself. When she first laid her eyes upon the redhead after returning to this plain of existence, her senses were assaulted with everything that was Willow. Memories flooded her mind and nothing mattered except for holding the petite witch. A stronger feeling had overcome the blonde when the pair were laying on the bed. Lust. Strong and pure. That raw emotion, mixed with overpowering love, was almost impossible to ignore. Looking back on it now, however, Tara admitted it had been a mistake. No, not a mistake. Making love with Willow is never a mistake. Just a slight error in judgement, Tara. And look at you, talking to yourself in the mirror. She let out a laugh, shaking her head at her own thoughts.

She heard the soft creak of the door behind her and saw Willow slip into the room through the reflection in the mirror. The redhead smiled at her, though Tara could see the exhaustion and sadness in her emerald gaze. Willow moved up behind her and slipped her arms around the blonde’s waist. Tara’s body came alive at the warm contact and an immediate feeling of security washed over her.

“I love you.” The redhead said simply.

A smile graced Tara’s face and she turned in the embrace, slipping her arms around the redhead’s shoulders. “I love you too, darling.” She ran a hand through red hair, enjoying the silky feel.

Willow leant forwards and pressed her lips against Tara’s in a tender kiss, showing just how much the blonde was loved and cherished. Tara accepted the kiss eagerly and returned it, deepening it slightly. She could feel her body reacting to the feel of Willow’s soft wet lips and she pulled back before it became any more heated. Their faces only inches apart, Tara could feel the redhead’s laboured breath on her lips and she resisted the urge to kiss her again. You still have it Willow Rosenberg and you’re driving me nuts! Her mind spoke to the redhead, a smirk covering the blonde’s features.

Willow could see the desire in Tara’s eyes and would have acted on her own impulses if it hadn’t been for the five people waiting down the stairs. “You think they’ll be mad if we take a little while longer.” The redhead teased.

The blonde witch swallowed hard and tried to temper the fire that was building within her. She smiled wickedly at her lover. “You think it’ll only take a little while?”

The redhead let out a laugh and held Tara closer, burying her face in the shy Wiccan’s neck. Tara stroked Willow’s hair with one hand, the other resting over her shoulders.

Willow took a deep breath and stepped back out of the warm embrace, memorising the blonde’s scent as she did. “We’d best go down and face the gang.”

Tara nodded, holding out a hand to the redhead who accepted it quickly and pulled her out of the room.

Giles leaned back into his chair, crossing his legs as he watched Dawn fidget on the sofa. She and the Slayer had confirmed Tara’s presence in the house. Now all that was left was the confrontation, the explanations, and the unavoidable destiny that awaited them. The Englishman sighed and looked towards the staircase. The two wiccans were taking a while to appear, not that that worried Giles, it just made him impatient.

He heard movement at the top of the stairs, signifying the approach of Willow and Tara. The ex watcher inhaled deeply, feeling an uncharacteristic flush of nervousness wash over him. He didn’t trust what the demon deity Thot had told them and wasn’t sure if Tara was who she appeared to be. He hadn’t voiced his concerns, however, as the arrival of their lost comrade uplifted everyone’s spirits and Giles certainly didn’t want to be the one to break anyone’s heart, especially Willow’s.

He watched intently as two figured slowly descended the staircase and stood in the living room for everyone to see. In a long flowing white dress, Tara looked angelic and serene to Giles. A slight smile pulled at the corner of her lips, her right hand clasped in Willow’s left. Neither women seemed willing to move more than a few inches away from the other as they collectively moved to the sofa. Dawn moved over to allow them a little more room and the pair sat. Tara looked around the room, taking in a deep breath as if appreciating the scent of the house. She laid hers and Willow’s hand in her lap and looked pointedly at each pair of eyes that were upon her.

“I’m so happy to be with you all once again.” Her voice radiated her happiness and her eyes sparkled with joy.

Giles couldn’t help but feel her elation, though a twinge of sadness tugged at his heart as he realized the circumstances of her being in the room.

A dumbfounded silence hung in the room and no one knew what to say. Willow let out a frustrated sigh and took in the bewildered expressions of her friends.

“I assure you, this is Tara Maclay, the woman I love.” The redhead gazed lovingly at the blonde and Giles noticed a blush creeping over Tara’s beautiful features.

“We do not doubt that, Willow.” Giles decided to speak at last and then turned his attention on the blushing witch. “How are you feeling Tara?” He knew it was a pathetic way to start conversation flowing but it was the only thing he could think of to say.

Tara smiled at him. “I feel… a little overwhelmed to be honest, Mr. Giles but so grateful to be with the ones I love.” She looked pointedly at Willow and then back at the Englishman, a sorrowful look in her eyes. “I just wish I were able to stay.” Her voice came out almost as a whisper.

Buffy approached the blonde and knelt before her, placing her hands on the woman’s knees. “I know, Tara, we all wish that but, whatever happens, we all love you and we will cherish the time you have with us.” The Slayer smiled at Tara and squeezed her legs gently for emphasis.

A broad smile blossomed on the blonde Wiccan’s face and she nodded, showing she agreed with Buffy’s loving statement. The Slayer stood and looked around at the rest of their companions. Giles could tell she was in deep thought but thinking about what, he wasn’t sure.

“Right guys, we have to figure out our next plan of action. I know we’re all distracted by Tara’s presence here but we do need to focus on the danger Thot spoke of. It seems the prophecy can be fulfilled now so we’ve just got to find out what we specifically have to do.” The Slayer took charge with her words.

Giles stood and paced the room, rubbing his chin in thought. “Did Thot impart any helpful information to you, Tara?”

The blonde looked up at him and paused before replying. “Um, well, he just told me what Willow says he told you, plus the terms of my stay here. He said he wasn’t ‘willing to interfere with the paths of mortals any more.’ That’s it I’m afraid.”

Giles frowned and removed his glasses, taking a small piece of cloth from his pocket. He rubbed the soft material across the lenses of his glasses, though they were spotless anyway. This subconscious habit amused the Scooby Gang immensely and they often poked fun at him for it. Luckily, now wasn’t one of those times. The seriousness of the situation sobered even Xander from his usual boyish antics.

“What form do we expect this ‘evil’ to come in?” Xander spoke up. “Big hordes of slimy demons?”

Giles shook his head. “I have no idea. It could appear in any number of ways. We are at a severe disadvantage here. We do not know what it is we face, when it will come or how to destroy it.”

“Way to go to look on the bright side, Giles!” Buffy remarked sarcastically.

All of a sudden, the sound of breaking glass filled the room and Buffy spun around to face the window. Through the smashed window came two figures. The Slayers couldn’t make them out at first due to the speed they were moving at. Dawn pitched forward of the sofa and rolled to her feet to avoid being hit in the head by one of the intruders. One landed in front of Buffy and for the first time she got to take in the their appearance. Clad in almost entirely in black from head to toe, the human looking intruder glared at the Slayer, unsheathing a large scimitar from its sheath at the figure’s side. Buffy could tell both intruders were male from their build and all features indicated the pair were human. The dark clothing was designed specifically for stealth and ease of movement and Buffy suspected these men wouldn’t be easily beaten. The second intruder also unsheathed his blade and bore down on Dawn.

Buffy immediately went into action, lunging forward before the male facing her could attack. She caught the hand that held the scimitar in one hand and thrust the other into his chest, causing him to lose his balance and fall to the ground. The Slayer turned to attack the second black clad intruder in time to see Dawn land a roundhouse kick to his abdomen, making him stumble backwards but remain standing.

She felt a hand on her shoulder and, as she spun around, caught a glimpse of the fist that slammed into her face, sending her into the coffee table behind her. The wooden table cracked and collapsed under the force of the impact. The Slayer felt the room spin and she fought keep the world in focus.

Tara watched as Buffy went down, quickly followed by Giles. She was relieved to see Dawn was handling the second intruder with the help of Xander, who was keeping the scimitar wielding male at bay with a table lamp. The blonde witch gasped as she saw the first intruder approach her, grasping his fallen blade off the floor. She could see the malicious glint in his dark eyes and she tried to recall a spell that could help her but her mind had gone blank. She caught a glimpse of red as Willow rushed past her and flung herself at the attacker.

“Willow, no!” Tara called out, fearing for her lover.

The pair landed in a heap on the floor. Willow pulled herself up and aimed a fist for the intruder’s face. The black clad male caught her arm with his free hand and pulled her roughly off him before grabbing her around the neck. He snarled at her angrily and applied pressure to her throat, squeezing the air from her. She grabbed at his arm, attempting to free herself but he was too strong for the petite witch.

Tara knew she had to do something soon or the redhead would run out of air. The blonde witch muttered a few words in Latin and raised a hand. She hoped the paralysis spell would work. Her hopes were answered as the intruder released Willow and crumbled to the ground, now unmoving.

Tara rushed to her lover’s side and cradled her in her arms as the redhead coughed and rubbed her reddened neck.

Xander cried out in surprise as the scimitar in front of him sliced through the lamp he held, sending pieces of it across him and the floor. Before the second intruder could reach Xander though, Dawn landed a well-placed kick to the base of his spine, making the trespasser cry out in pain. His knees buckled and fell to the ground. Xander lurched forward, placing all his weight behind the punch to the attacker’s jaw. The intruder fell back unconscious.

“Ow!” Xander held his sore hand. “The guy’s got a jaw of steel!”

Dawn stood behind the fallen attacker, breathing heavily yet feeling extremely proud of herself. Buffy pulled herself into a sitting position, seething from the attack. She was annoyed at herself for allowing the intruder time to hit her.

“Is everyone okay?” She asked, looking around.

Xander nodded and helped Anya up, who had been slung aside by him in the heat of the confrontation. She looked slightly annoyed but unhurt. Giles was brushing himself down and checking his glasses, whilst Tara was still cradling Willow, who was sitting against her lover.

“Yeah, I don’t think anyone was hurt.” Dawn offered. “Who are these guys?”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t think they’re demons, just your run of the mill suicidal humans.” She went to remove the mask of one of the intruders but before she could a blindingly bright flash of light filled the room, making everyone cover their eyes. When everyone’s vision returned to normal they saw the fallen attackers were gone. Buffy sighed with frustration.

“How predictable.” Anya muttered.

END OF CHAPTER 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:48 pm 
Oh man.....I read as much as I could...I skipped a few bits here and there cuz it's so sad :cry but that just means that you write so well. ;)

--Michelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:21 pm 
Omg!! **Wipes a tear from cheek** that was soo sad, but very very good!! I really enjoyed reading it so far, i can't wait 4 more!! :)

"In my world there are people in chains and we can ride them like ponies" -Vamp Willow (Doppelgangland)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:33 pm 
Wow! Great start to this. It looks very interesting, and I can't wait to see how it all pans out. :)

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:01 am 
Interested to see what's going to happen. I know that Tara is only back to fulfil the prophecy, but I trust Willow will find a way around that.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:52 am 
Beautiful start and I so sad too. Can't wait for more.

These five words in my head scream "are we having fun yet?"

Chad Kroeger

Post subject: Chapter 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:47 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. :D This, as with my other story is shorter than previous chapters so I can update more often. It's also not angst ridden like the other parts. Yay for Willow/Tara goodness. ;)

As for the bad guy in this story... you might kinda guess that I like the hooded and cloaked kind. :P

Chapter 3

A figure strode through the darkened streets of Sunnydale, wrapped in a thick black cloak, a hood hiding his features from those who dared to look. Blackness seemed to follow him around, swallowing the shadows with its inky hue. No sound came from his footfalls though he trod heavily, the only noises coming from the buildings around him. Silence fell upon each pub, nightclub, shop, and house as he passed by them, lights flickering out as all power was drained from them. Shocked cries and screams shortly followed and a few revellers stumbled out onto the street.

One young man had the misfortune of passing directly in front of the mysterious figure, his rounded face a picture of fear as him. The cloaked stranger didn’t make any visible move to remove the young man from his path yet his victim was flung through the air and rebounded off a nearby brick wall. Splatters of blood patterned the brickwork as the man slumped to the ground, a gaping wound in his head.

The dark figure continued moving forward, seemingly unaffected by the violent act. He drifted towards an alleyway, unnoticed by the fearful citizens in the streets and the two crouched males in the alley. He lifted a covered arm, a leather clad hand, flexing as he came to a stand still.

One of the males looked up instinctively, his face morphed into a terrifying sight. Ridges adorned his forehead, yellow eyes piercing the night and vicious fangs bared to the stranger. His companion looked up also, breaking from the feast on a petite young woman. Blood trickled down his chin and his tongue darted out to greedily capture the escaping liquid. The first vampire stood and launched himself at the intruder, basic instinct urging him onto the next kill. As he neared his target, the figure convulsed and a small object emerged from inside his cloak, revolving around his body then travelling along his arm and towards the vampire. The object glowed in a mixture of browns and greys, taking on a form as it travelled silently through the air. A small, dog like head took shape and snarled as it collided with the approaching demon, knocking him back and to the floor. The vampire’s companion hesitated, unsure whether to advance or run. The canine head slithered along the fallen vampire’s body, reaching his chest. In one swift motion, it lunged towards the cool, dead skin and buried into the flesh and bone, its victim screaming in agony. Within seconds the pained demon stilled and blinked up at the stars. The second vampire neared him, still unsure. The stranger lowered his arm, sinking back into the shadows, watching as the first vampire stood. Yellow eyes pierced yellow as the two kinsmen stared at one another, one with a blank look, the other uncertainty.

Growling, the first vampire lunged at the other, taking him to the ground and sinking his fangs deep into his neck. The second demon gasped in surprise and pain as the existence was sucked out of him.

The Summers house was a hive of activity as those within collected belongings and made arrangements. Giles spoke animatedly on the telephone as Xander and Anya hovered in the kitchen, keeping watch out of the window. Daylight streamed through the glass, the early morning sun warming it. Buffy carried to suitcases down the stairs and Dawn struggled with a tower of books she was transporting from the basement to the living room. Tara sat in Willow’s room, watching the redhead rush madly around collecting clothes and necessities and stuff them in a large bag.

“Willow, honey, you need to slow down or you’re going to set your feet on fire.” Tara said softly, a smile working its way on to her face.

The hacker paused, throwing a top into the bag, and looked at the calm blonde. “We need to get everything together so we can get somewhere safe as soon as possible.” She argued but sat on the edge of the bed with Tara.

The blonde witch reached across to Willow and covered the redhead’s hand with her own. “We will, Will, but giving yourself a heart attack isn’t going to benefit anyone, is it?” Her voice remained soft and deeply caring.

Willow let out a tension filled breath and let her cramped muscles relax. Ever since the attack a few hours earlier she had gone into panic mode, hurrying everyone along to collect belongings and make arrangements. Giles had informed the group that he was owed a favour by someone who owned a few safe havens in the area but he wouldn’t elaborate on who it was exactly. The Englishman had spent the past hour making calls and quietly threatening whoever was on the other end of the phone. It hadn’t taken much convincing for the others to agree to relocate. Although, Anya blatantly refused to run and hide and offered to keep an eye on things in Sunnydale due to her not actually being a target, or so she hoped. Xander had, at first, been opposed to the vengeance demon’s choice but a stern look swiftly silenced his objections. Willow was quite surprised with herself. It was surprising how an emergency could change a person’s entire demeanour. Gone was the self-hating, grief-stricken, fragile girl of the past days and in her place was protective, take charge Willow. She was sure everyone was glad of the change though.

The redhead looked over at Tara, who fixed her with a loving gaze. Willow reached up and caressed a soft cheek with her hand, the blonde leaning into the touch. Her nerve endings did happy little dances at having the wonderful sensation returned to them. She didn’t want to think about having it all taken away from her once again and made the decision to face it when the time came. She’d concentrate on enjoying every second she had with her love.

“Isn’t this far better than rushing around on your tired little feet?” Tara questioned, noting the pensive look on her lover’s face.

Willow smiled warmly. “Yes.” The reply was short but full of so much emotion and meaning. Tara pulled the redhead into a tight embrace, keeping all the fears at bay. Willow wound her arms around the blonde’s body and hugged her back.

“Oh, my Willow.” Tara sighed happily, rejoicing in the feel of the redhead’s heated body against her own and the hacker’s breath against her neck. Small wisps of copper hair tickled her cheek and she let out a small giggle. Willow pulled back and looked up into sparkling blue eyes, curious at her amusement. Tara grinned down at her, running a hand through the red strands. “I love your hair, you know that?”

Willow nodded, a silly grin playing on her lips. It was unbelievable how Tara made her feel, how in love she felt, as though her heart would burst with it. A miracle sat in her arms, her own little slice of heaven. A thought occurred to her then and her smile faded. “Tara..?”

Tara looked at her curiously, slightly distracted with her current task of examining every strand of hair on Willow’s head. “Yes, my love?”

Willow took a deep breath, unsure if she should continue with her question or not, knowing it would spoil the perfect moment the couple was sharing. “What was it like? Where you were?”

Tara ceased her strokes of Willow’s hair, her eyes glazing over slightly. “You mean, what is heaven like?” Willow nodded hesitantly. Tara smiled a little, stroking copper hair again. “It’s red…” she moved her hand down and caressed the hacker’s cheek, lovingly, looking deep into her eyes. “And green…” She leant forward and placed a tender kiss on the redhead’s lips. “And very Willowy.” She said pulling back.

Willow flushed slightly. “I, uh…” Tara placed a finger over the hacker’s lips, silencing.

“It doesn’t matter where I was, Will. Heaven is when I’m with you, in your arms.” Tara’s words seemed to satisfy the redhead and she sank back into the blonde’s embrace. Tara suspected the petite redhead had feared she had been torn from a peaceful afterlife as Buffy had been and hated her for it. She went back to stroking Willow’s hair, the two lost in each others’ presence.

The Scooby Gang eventually succeeded in collecting their essentials and in Dawn’s case, not so essential items. Giles had arranged for them to stay in a safe haven outside of town. Xander managed to fit Dawn, Buffy, and all his belongings in his car, whilst Giles accommodated Tara and Willow in his hired vehicle. Xander followed Giles out of town and they drove for a few hours along a deserted back road. Dawn had spread across the back seat and fallen asleep while Xander and Buffy chatted about inane subjects. The atmosphere in Giles’ car was slightly less relaxed and the conversation non-existent. Tara sat back against Willow in the back seat, the redhead’s arms cradling her shoulders. The blonde had dozed off several times during the trip but something within her kept her from drifting off to sleep completely. She lifted her head up as Giles slowed the vehicle and brought it to a stop in a secluded area of the countryside. He watched Xander pull up behind them in the rear view mirror.

The Englishman turned in his seat to look at the young woman behind him. “The accommodation is a few minutes drive from here.” He explained but Tara was confused to why he had stopped. “When we arrive, please go straight to a bedroom, and settle in.” He watched as Xander jogged up to the car. He wound down his window.

“Hey G-man, what’s up?” Xander asked, leaning his hands on his knees as he peered in through the window.

“We will arrive at the safe house soon, I want all of you to go straight to a room and stay there until I say so, is that clear?” Giles voice was taut as he explained.

Xander seemed a little taken aback. “But…” He began, but was cut off by an impatient look by the Englishman. “Uh, okay Giles. Sure thing.” With that, he straightened up and jogged back to his car.

“What’s going on?” Willow asked, concern in her voice.

Giles turned in his seat once more. “Nothing to worry about, Willow. I have to settle a few things with the landlord and I’d rather leave the rest of you out of it.”

Willow didn’t pursue the subject as Giles started up the engine again and pulled away. Something told Tara that the Englishman wanted to have some alone time with whoever the landlord was and it would perhaps be an unpleasant conversation. She snuggled into Willow’s lap, trying to get more comfortable. The redhead ran a hand over Tara’s shoulder and upper arm in a soothing motion.

The two cars made their way down a long winding road, lined by trees and unkempt bushes. As the trees became less numerous, Tara could make out a fairly large building. They pulled up to the manor house and as Tara sat up in the car, she could make out two levels of the house with around five rooms on each floor. The house was extremely wide and Tara imagined it had been used as a farmer’s house in the past though no sign of workers could be seen now. Ivy crept up the white walls around a large wooden door and the sound of horses whinnying in the distance could be heard. A smile tugged at Tara’s lips as she felt the serenity of the place. She pushed open the car door and stepped out, taking in a deep breath of country air. It was amazing how they could go from such an urban locale such as Sunnydale to a rural paradise such as this in a few short hours. The sun shone down brightly on the newcomers, greeting them to this safe place.

“It’s lovely, Giles.” Tara heard Willow exclaim as she joined her lover outside the car.

“We’re not here for the scenery.” Mumbled the Englishman, who then moved towards the house.

Tara heard Dawn and Buffy approach. The pair were engrossed in a heated argument but the blonde witch couldn’t figure out what it was about. Xander’s exasperated voice drifted over, warning them to stop or else he’d drive back to Sunnydale, preferring to face death than listen to them argue any more. She let out a laugh at his comment, turning to face the group.

“I think I’m going to enjoy hiding out for a while.” She smiled as the two Summers women stopped their bickering.

Xander walked past Tara and Willow, dragging a couple of suitcases. “Come on, you heard what Mister. I’m In Charge and You Should Do as I Say, said. Best not to piss him off.” He said sarcastically.

Willow pulled out a large bag from Giles’ hire car and slung it onto her shoulder, almost collapsing with the weight. She grabbed Tara’s hand, pulling her towards the house.

Willow and Tara soon found themselves the perfect room on the second floor. It was a large, spacious double room with a writing desk, large wardrobe, and en suite bathroom. Willow tucked clothing into drawers and hung some in the wardrobe. She silently thanked her own stubbornness at refusing to allow Buffy to remove Tara’s belongings from the house.

“I think this is the master bedroom, Will.” Tara giggled, bouncing slightly on the springy mattress of the bed.

Willow winked at the blonde. “Only the best for my girl.” This made Tara giggle even more and Willow moved closer to her. “Something funny?” She asked, pushing her lover back on the bed.

Willow attacked the blonde’s ribs, causing her to erupt into full laughter. “May… be.” Tara managed between laughs. She tried to retaliate by reaching for the redhead’s ribs but she was blocked. She used her weight to roll the redhead over and onto her back, pinning the hacker by her arms.

“Hey, no fair.” Willow pouted, wriggling under her lover.

“You’re all mine now.” Tara gave her a mischievous grin. “I can do anything and you can’t do a thing about it.”

Willow struggled half-heartedly. “I’m all yours anyway.” She protested.

Tara closed the distance between their lips and kissed the redhead hungrily. Their mouths moved against each others’, fanning the flames of desire. Tara pulled back reluctantly. “Mmm, my Willow.” She almost growled.

Willow felt the heat rise within her, the blonde’s possessive streak arousing her. She lifted her head, capturing the blonde’s lips again, deepening the kiss, and parting Tara’s lips with her tongue. Tara groaned into the redhead’s mouth, loosening her grip on the hacker’s wrists.

The blonde witch was startled when she heard a loud coughing behind her. She jumped up, spinning swiftly. Giles stood in the open doorway, his eyes everywhere except on the two Wiccans. “M-Mr. Giles!” Tara exclaimed. “We were j-just, uh…”

“Yes, well, anyway…” Giles cut in, seemingly more embarrassed than the couple he had just interrupted. “I just wanted to tell you I have arranged it so you can stay here for as long as necessary without outside interference. I will be returning to Sunnydale to find out as much as I can about this new threat.”

Willow pushed herself off the bed and stepped towards the Englishman. “You’ll be careful?”

Giles nodded, a flicker of a smile appearing on his face. “Of course, as will you, I assume.”

Willow copied his action then moved forward and enveloped the unsuspecting ex watcher in a hug. Giles eventually placed his arms around the redhead, returning the embrace. He smiled at Tara over Willow’s head, communicating everything with one look.

He pulled back from the hug. “I’ll phone when I have more information.” Then he was gone.

Willow turned to face Tara. “I hope he doesn’t get himself into trouble.” She said, more to herself.

Tara reached out and pulled the petite redhead to her, enveloping her in an intimate embrace. She ran a hand down the length of the hacker’s back and placed a loving kiss on her forehead. “Of course he won’t.”

Willow looked up into blue eyes, a hint of desire still in them. The redhead smiled sensually, tracing a finger over the sensitive skin of Tara’s neck. “Now where were we?”

The lumbering vampire trudged through the underground network beneath Sunnydale’s streets. His yellow eyes flickered coldly around him, continually searching for danger. Soon he reached his destination, a large chamber lit with large ugly candles. At the centre of the room stood a cloaked figure, his hood now hung down his back. The vampire halted at the entrance to the chamber as the foreboding stranger turned, revealing his true form. A long snout baring many long jagged teeth snarled at the newcomer. Tall, pointed ears framed his head whilst red, piercing eyes bore into the vampire.

The vampire dropped to one knee, lowering his gaze. “My lord, I have done as you asked and confirmed the Light is dead.”

The snarling snout curled up into a twisted form of a smile. “Good, this pleases me.” He approached the demon kneeling before him. “I have new plans for you.” The almost human male voice could only be heard by the vampire.

The vampire looked up at his master. “Yes, Lord Anubis.”

“Bring your brethren to me.” He ordered, his voice echoing within the vampire’s mind.

The kneeling demon stood, bowing his head before turning and walking hastily from the room, his undead mind set on his task.

Anubis was left alone in the gloomy chamber. “Your chosen few will not see the next lunar cycle.” He roared to the ceiling.

END OF CHAPTER 3

Post subject: Re: Chapter 3
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:13 pm 
Great update!! I loved this line ***It doesn’t matter where I was, Will. Heaven is when I’m with you, in your arms.*** That was sooo sweet, my heart stopped. Can't wait 4 more!! :)

"In my world there are people in chains and we can ride them like ponies" -Vamp Willow (Doppelgangland)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:47 pm 
Anubis!! Wow... Now that really is a major bad guy.

Loved the update. And I really love Willow and Tara being all snuggly and loving with each other. :) Great update!

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 11:35 pm 
What a complex tale you've created here! After the big shot of fan fic goodness, I'm hooled, and look forward to more.

TARA: Willow and I always know how to find each other!

ANYA: With yoga?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:01 am 
"Heaven is when I’m with you, in your arms". I think Willow really needed the assurance that Tara wasn't forced to exit heaven.

The Scooby Gang eventually succeeded in collecting their essentials and in Dawn’s case, not so essential items. That made me giggle!

Giles going to go all Ripper on whomever runs the haven? I love when he does that!

And Anubis' information is incorrect, that's good. He won't be a happy bunny when he finds out The Light is very much present.

Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:02 am 
Thanks for your feedback... I've just finished with my other story now so I'll concentrate on writing this one now. I'm glad you like what I'm doing with the characters. Hopefully, I'll be able to update later on today. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:50 am 
this has been a great 3 chapters...very captivating...i'm glad you're going to continue with it and not tease us!!

steph

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:58 am 
Oh, this is fabulous thus far. Even with all that dark sadness in the first few chapters, everything is so compelling. I want to be happy that Tara is back, but the circumstances… ack, well maybe the light will survive? Excellent story. So well written. It really flows as you read it and you’ve really captured the emotions of Tara’s death, and how it affected all the Scooby’s so well! And I love the tenderness between Willow and Tara… the whole story just borders that line between joy and sadness.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:42 pm 
Just wanted to chime in and say I don't know why you didn't get feedback before - maybe you posted this elsewhere, because this is quite the compelling tale.

Autumn

-----------

It grated, like something forced in where it doesn't belong.

Post subject: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:11 pm 
Well, I finally got Chapter 4 finished. Sorry it took longer than I said it would... my stupid life got in the way. ;)

I hope you like this part, I'm not too sure about it myself but I'll let you kittens be the judge of that. Happy reading.

Chapter 4

The night engulfed the large manor house but instead of the viscous demons, its inhabitants were so used to, stalking the darkness, only the noisy crickets inhabit the haven's grounds. The peacefulness outside affected the atmosphere inside the house also. Buffy sat with Dawn on an incredibly wide sofa in the large 'recreation room', watching the television. A particularly interesting documentary of the mating habits of bullfrogs was being aired. Buffy was just glad that she had been able to get her sister to sit down for more than five minutes and not go exploring the manor house. She had warned Xander to keep Willow out of the room, as she didn't want her best friend having a coronary at the sight of the horrific creatures on the television screen. However, it was tempting to see how the redhead would react. She smirked at the thought.

Meanwhile, Xander sat in a large leather chair in the study, which was across the corridor from the recreation room. Willow sat at a shiny wooden desk with her laptop open. Tara leant against the desk with a book in her hands, scanning the pages. A vast array of books adorned several shelves in the large room and Willow had squealed excitedly when she had seen them. Most of the books were one of a kind and extremely old, containing texts of ancient culture, weaponry, and herbs. The book Tara was flicking through at that moment was called "The Do's and Don'ts of Swordsmanship." She found a few points quite amusing, such as the line that pointed out not to "swing your blade in large arcs when in a crowded room" or to "never train whilst under the effects of mind altering spells." She wondered how old the book actually was and whether a legitimate swordsman wrote it. Tara placed the book back on a shelf and turned her attentions on her lover who was engrossed in whatever she was doing on her laptop. Her copper hair was tucked behind an ear and she chewed on her lower lip whilst she concentrated, something Tara found incredibly cute. She moved behind Willow and rested her hands on the redhead's slender shoulders, making the hacker shiver at the contact.

"What's my little red haired hacker up to?" Tara enquired.

Willow glanced over her shoulder and shot Tara a smouldering smile. She turned back to look at the screen. "Just catching up on my Ancient Egyptian mythology." She pattered away on her keyboard and a new window popped up on the screen.

Tara smiled lovingly down at the redhead. "And how does that involve hacking into the pentagon, honey?"

Willow grinned sheepishly, having been caught. "I thought they might have some information that the general public weren't aware of." She looked up at her lover once again. "When did you become computer knowledge girl?"

Tara let out a small chuckle and placed a finger an inch away from the screen. "I can recognise the pentagon logo when I see it, Will."

The redhead closed the laptop quickly and stood, scooping Tara up in her arms. "Smart ass." She pecked her lightly on the lips.

Xander shifted in his seat, running his hands over his denim-clad legs. "Uh, guys, I'm gonna go get myself something to drink. You want anything?" He stood and hovered by the door. When both women shook their heads, he left, giving them some privacy.

Tara reached out and pushed the study door closed, drowning out the noise of a bizarre television program in the opposite room. She looked into an emerald gaze. Tara tangled her fingers into red hair, running her hands down the length of the strands, and then repeating the soothing motion over and over. Willow let out a small contented sigh, pulling the blonde closer by her waist.

"So… what was that you were saying about my smart ass?" Tara teased, massaging the back of Willow's neck.

Willow giggled and leaned forward to steal a brief yet meaningful kiss. "Mmm, tasty."

"Behave yourself, Miss. Rosenberg." Tara mock chastised.

Willow pouted, pulling away slightly but couldn't hold the serious face for long. The couple shared a moment of laughter. "What's going to happen?" Willow suddenly turned serious.

Tara's smile faded slightly but did not disappear entirely. "I don't know, love. I suppose we'll do what we've always done. Find out what we're up against, fight, and save the world."

"I… I don't know if it's going to be…" Willow paused, not finding the right words. "Not this time."

Tara moved her right hand round to cup the redhead's cheek. "Maybe not but we have to believe, Will. We have to believe we can win." She sighed as Willow continued to look despondent. "Look, I believed in us and that faith brought us back together, not a god or magic. That I'm sure of. Believe, Willow."

Tara's speech seemed to have an effect on the redhead and a flicker of a smile crossed her face. "I believe in you, baby. Is that enough? For now?"

The blonde nodded. "Yes, my love. We all have to start somewhere." With that, she kissed Willow with a burning desire, needing to feel her lover, feel her body close to hers, feel the hacker's lips on hers, and feel their souls touching.

Anya strode purposefully beside Giles, glancing sideways at him as they walked down the darkened street. She was surprised he had returned so quickly and even more so that he hadn't spoken two words to her in the twelve hours he had been back in Sunnydale. His expression now was grim, his jaw set firmly in determination. She wasn't sure what had happened to him in England but something was different about him now, something that made a shiver vault down her spine.

The Englishman came to a sudden stop, veering off to open a door that Anya wouldn't have normally noticed. The dull wooden door creaked slightly as Giles opened it and the vengeance demon followed him down a set of stairs and through another doorway. They stepped into a dimly lit room, where some shady looking individuals hunched over a bar. A short, dark haired, nervous looking man cleaned glasses behind the bar. Giles moved towards him whilst Anya hung back, not sure what he was expecting to accomplish here. She watched as the ex watcher waved the nervous bartender over to him and exchanged a few words with him. Anya stepped forward so she could listen in on the conversation.

"Come on Willy, you've got to have some form of information for me." Giles urged, placing his palms flat on the bar.

The bartender shook his head and moved to walk away. Giles lurched into action and Anya saw him do something she was sure she would never see him do. The Englishman grabbed Willy by his collar and pulled the shocked man to him, glaring into his face. "Damn it man, something bad is after those very dear to me." He shook the bartender's small body for emphasis. "And that concerns me deeply."

Willy dropped the glass that he had been holding and it tumbled to the floor, shattering into tiny pieces. He waved his hands about feebly. "Okay, okay." Giles let the man go and the bartender stumbled backwards. Several demons looked over and were enjoying the display, not bothering to move. "Jesus, you need to chill, man." Willy dusted himself off.

"Information, now." Giles ordered.

"I, uh…" Willy screwed a towel up in his hands anxiously. "I don't know much. Rumour has it that a new guy's in town. He's taken over the sewers. Every vampire this side of hell is backing him up."

Giles' face paled at the short man's words. "Who is he?"

The bartender shrugged. He reminded Anya of a weasel. "Dunno, but he's not someone you wanna mess with if you catch my drift."

The ex watcher took a step back from the bar, finally letting his eyes drift over the clientele. There were very few demons dotted around the room and that was surprising, even for Willy's. From what the Englishman could tell, not one vampire was among them. "Thank you for your cooperation, Willy." He muttered.

The weasel bartender grunted before returning to his duties, throwing an apologetic look at some of his customers. Anya stood in surprise as Giles stormed past her and up the steps. She hurried after him, pulling him to a stop as they emerged onto the street. "What now?" She asked. "Nice tactics by the way."

Giles looked at her with a slightly irritated look. "Yes, well, I think we should check out the sewers but it may not be wise to do so alone."

Anya glanced up and down the street, a shudder wracking her body. "Got anyone in mind?"

The ex watcher was about to answer her when another voice interrupted. "Are you two looking for trouble then?" The voice belonged to a snarling male vampire who had just emerged from the bar. Anya couldn't remember seeing him in the bar and realised he must have been hiding. "Well, trouble found ya."

The sound of many heavy footsteps filled the vengeance demon's ears and she peered around watching a horde of vampires close in on them from all directions, having appeared from seemingly out of nowhere. The rancid smell of the undead hung in the air and if Anya had been human, she would have emptied the contents of her stomach right there. The vampire that had appeared from the bar circled the pair and Giles shifted his weight nervously. The circling vampire suddenly paused and backed into the crowd as another, more intimidating demon emerged from the horde. He was also vampiric in nature but he held himself differently, as though nothing could harm him yet it wasn't ignorance, it was confidence.

"Friends of the chosen." His voice was empty and cold as ice.

"Friends?" Anya challenged. "More like acquaintances."

The lead vampire sneered, ignoring her remark. "Take them."

The horde of vampires lunged, easily overpowering the pair. Anya's mind raced. She could easily teleport out of there but that would mean abandoning Giles. She thought it best if she found out where they were being taken and then go for help. If she was killed in the process then she was sure someone was going to owe her big time.

Buffy strolled the perimeter of the manor house, old habits urging her to check all was safe. The group had been here for almost two days and there had been no sign of trouble but the Slayer wanted to be sure. She let her gaze wander over the neatly arranged patches of flowers that followed the walls of the house, brightening the entire area. Her feet passed over cropped grass and the smell of the country filled her nostrils, bringing back memories of holidays with her parents when she was very young. The daylight was already beginning to fade and the Slayer knew darkness would be upon them in mere hours. Still, the realisation of that fact filled her senses with dread and the sudden rush of adrenaline, even in this picturesque setting.

As Buffy rounded the corner of the house, she spotted two figures walking down the lengthy lawn, heading for the small lake that was situated at the bottom of it. The two young women strode, hand in hand, seemingly oblivious to anything but themselves. The Slayer felt a twinge of envy as she watched the adoration that surrounded them but felt instantly guilty at her own feelings as she realised the situation the pair were in, that they all were in. She was quite amazed at how Willow and Tara could remain so happy together in the face of such a threat and the conditions that came with the blonde's return. Then again, she mused, true love could conquer all, right? She somehow didn't believe her own words, her cynicism winning her over this time. The Wiccan couple had reached the bottom of the lawn and Willow pulled Tara down to sit beside her on the grass so they could watch the swans on the lake. The scene looked idealistic to the Slayer; the setting sun, the wonderful scent of the countryside, the beautiful lapping of water against the bank, and two people so very much in love. Buffy let out a small sigh of happiness for her friends, her previous envy and thoughts of their present problems shelved to the back of her mind. She watched the blonde witch rest her head on the redhead's shoulder and Willow wrapped an arm around Tara's waist. Buffy continued on her route around the manor house, not wanting to intrude on her friends' private moments any longer. She wondered if she would ever find an undying love such as theirs, for it truly was eternal, crashing through all barriers that had been put between them. Buffy imagined she had felt that kind of emotion with Angel but they hadn't fought to be together in the end, instead the vampire had left, supposedly for the Slayer's own good. She allowed herself to think about how Angel would react if she turned up in Los Angeles now, if they'd ever be able to patch things up but decided she was pondering dangerously. If fate brought them together again then fine, if it didn't, she'd find another way to be happy.

As she headed towards the house entrance, she came across Xander, his hands in his pockets, peering at the tree line in the distance. Buffy neared him and he looked up, shooting her a quick smile before looking into the distance once more. The Slayer came to a stop beside her friend, standing silently and following the young man's gaze. For minutes, they merely enjoyed each other's company, basking in the familiarity between them, words unnecessary.

Eventually, Xander broke the comfortable silence, glancing sideways at the Slayer. "How's our two love struck witches?" The faintest of smiles crossed his lips as he spoke.

Buffy looked at him, her hazel eyes taking in the pensive expression that had etched itself onto his features once again. "Still love struck." She unzipped her short leather jacket slightly, feeling the heat of the evening. "They're spending some time together down by the lake."

Xander nodded, finally sighing and turning back towards the door to the house. He shuffled inside, his hands still planted firmly in his trouser pockets. Buffy followed him inside and into the large living room. She guessed Dawn was in her room, more than likely talking on the phone to one of her friends. She hoped Giles had arranged a deal with the landlord regarding the telephone bill or the Slayer might find herself in debt. The younger Summers had been complaining for most of the day about the lack of things to do and how she didn't understand how the rest of them could sit around and pretend to enjoy the scenery. The truth was, they weren't pretending to enjoy the scenery, they actually did enjoy it. Buffy certainly appreciated the break from demon slaying and the calmness of their surroundings brought a certain tranquillity within the Slayer. She found it refreshing. She joined Xander who now sat on the antique sofa.

"What's on your mind?" She asked the young man, his brow furrowed with whatever he was thinking.

He looked up, considering whether to share his thoughts and finally deciding it was better to talk than keep it bottled up inside. "Everything really. This whole prophecy do-da, Will and Tara, and Anya. I try not to think and usually I'm quite good at that." He shot the Slayer a little smirk. "But for some reason my mind's gone into hyper drive." He ended his statement with a shrug.

"I know what you mean." Buffy empathised. "Not that I'm thinking about Anya in that way." She gave the young man a wink.

"Do you think things will ever get easier for us, Buff?" He asked.

For some reason he expected her to know but Buffy hadn't the slightest clue. Events had been set in motion ever since she had arrived in Sunnydale all those years ago and fate had sent wave after wave of misfortune her way. Unfortunately, her friends were always caught in the aura of bad luck and subsequently suffered. She didn't understand how they were never allowed any lasting happiness no matter how many times they saved the world. She looked back on all the situations the tight group of friends had found themselves in and surmised it was their personal lives that suffered the most. She had lost Angel because of his demon side, Willow had lost Oz for the same reason, and then the redhead had lost Tara to a twisted boy's shooting spree. Xander hadn't faired much better, losing Cordelia because of a lapse in control with Willow and then Anya because of his insecurities. Buffy had lost her mother to natural causes but that came at the worst possible time when she was facing a murderous goddess who wanted to bleed her sister dry and sometimes all the loss was just too much.

"I don't know, Xander." His face dropped as if her words were the final say on the matter. "But I'm gonna try my hardest to make sure it does. I'm fed up with all the misery and threats to us, to my family. Whatever it takes, I'll see you all happy."

Her final words seemed to lift his spirits and a smile crossed his face. "Thanks Buffy." He rested a hand on her shoulder. "Now lets see if we can find the Dawnster and drag her from her boredom."

The soft lapping of water was a hypnotic sound to Willow and she felt her eyes flicker closed as she allowed the rest of her senses to absorb her surroundings. She heard the calling of the swans to one another, their cries the only disturbance in the gardens. She smelt the freshly cut grass and the vanilla and sandalwood scent of the beautiful blonde beside her. She felt warm skin pressed against hers and soft tresses spread across her shoulder, hair she knew belonged to the woman she loved. Her eyes opened as she heard the contented sigh beside her, the heavenly sound filling Willow's heart with delight. She could think of no better noise in the world and a smile lifted her features as she looked to the blonde nestled against her.

Tara sensed the redhead's eyes on her and she lifted her head. Emerald blazed into sapphire as the couple relished one another's loving gazes. In moments such as this, Tara was sure nothing could touch them or come between them. She turned slightly and wrapped her arms around the petite redhead, pulling her into a warm embrace. The couple sat there, comforted by the closeness of their loved one's body. Tara ran a hand through copper strands, her other hand resting lightly on Willow's back. The hacker began the repetitive motion of stroking her hand from the top of Tara's shoulder blade to the top of her hip; the gentle caresses bringing the blonde witch's body to life. Her nerve endings tingled and yearned for more of the intoxicating touch. She felt Willow pull back a little and once again, their eyes met, burning the deep blue and green into one another's minds. Willow pushed forward, pressing her lips against the blonde's. The searing touch sent shockwaves through Tara, making the blonde's stomach flutter with desire. Their kiss deepened and Tara parted her lips, allowing entry to Willow's tongue. The redhead's tongue explored her mouth, searching out her own tongue, where they met and danced together. The petite hacker's hand diverted from its ministrations on Tara's back to smooth the fabric of the denim skirt at the blonde's hip. Willow pushed her body harder against Tara's and the blonde moaned into the redhead's mouth, a rush of desire heading south.

She pulled back reluctantly, causing Willow to whimper with the loss of contact. "Will… we should stop." She said breathlessly.

The redhead donned her most forlorn looking puppy dog eyes and pouted slightly. "Don't you..?" She trailed off.

"Of course I do." The darkened glint of arousal in the blonde's eyes showed Willow she was telling the truth. "But I don't think everyone wants to see two frisky Wiccans getting naked." She motioned to their surroundings, grinning cheekily at her lover.

The redhead blushed slightly. "Oh, I don't know about that, I'm sure some people would…" She decided not to finish the sentence. "You're right. Wanna finish this inside?" She licked her lips seductively, easing away from the blonde.

Tara immediately missed the closeness and nodded dumbly, just wanting to be in her lover's arms once again. Willow stood and extended a hand, which the blonde took quickly, pulling herself to her feet. The redhead tugged on Tara's hand and the pair ran up the lawn towards the house, giggling as they went. A gentle breeze whipped Tara's hair behind her as she ran and she felt a sense of freedom overcome her, making her feel a little giddy. They both slipped through the front door noisily and Tara pushed Willow up against the wall by the study, entwining her fingers in red hair. She pushed her mouth against Willow's, needing to taste her once more. The desire inside of her was urging her on, blocking out rational thought and the fear of being caught. Her lover seemed to be in the same predicament as she kissed the blonde back furiously, lips moving against lips with a heated passion.

They were completely unaware of Buffy and Xander standing in the doorway of the living room, their jaws almost touching the floor. Buffy couldn't shift her gaze away from the two witches, no matter how much she wanted to and as for Xander, he didn't particularly want to. Though, he had to admit, seeing his life long best friend in such an aroused state was slightly disturbing, but not in a completely bad way. He shook the thought from his mind, instead focusing on the two Wiccans in front of him and desperately wanting to say something, knowing they would both be incredibly embarrassed. He heard Buffy take a sharp intake of breath as Willow's hands moved down Tara's back and rested on her ass, the blonde's hips jutting forward to grind against her lover's. A squeak from the Slayer interrupted the couple and they jumped apart, the blonde witch whirling around with a look of horror on her face. Willow's face was frozen in shock and her lips formed a perfect 'o'.

"We, uh… heard a noise and um, thought…" Buffy croaked, backing up and almost tripping over a small round coffee table. Xander smiled sheepishly and ducked behind the wall, retreating into the living room.

Willow cringed and began to breathe again, her face almost the colour of her hair. She took a hold of Tara's hand to offer comfort. "It's okay Buffy, our fault." She glanced at her lover who was hiding behind a wall of hair. "We'll just be, uh, going." With that, she pulled Tara up the stairs, leaving the Slayer to stare after them, almost embarrassed as the two lovers were.

The two Wiccans rushed into their bedroom, past the open door of a curious young Summers who poked her head out to look bemusedly after them. They however ignored her and closed the door behind them, wanting to avoid further embarrassment. Tara continued to duck her head, attempting to hide her reddened features behind her blonde tresses but Willow moved in close to her, slipping her arms around the blonde's waist. This caused Tara to look up, blue meeting green in joint discomfiture. As soon as their eyes met, Willow began to giggle, which in turn caused Tara to giggle and soon the pair were in hysterics.

"Did… you… see… the look… on… their faces?" Tara managed between laughs. Willow nodded, leaning heavily against the blonde.

"I thought Buffy… was going… to faint." Willow just about pushed the sentence out before another bout of giggles overcame her.

After several moments of laughter, the couple caught their breaths and steadied themselves, holding onto one another. Tara brought a hand up to caress Willow's cheek. "Remind me not to do that again." She stated, smirking.

Willow's emerald eyes twinkled. "You mean get frisky? No chance."

Tara let out a chuckle, her sides already aching from the previous bout of laughter. She placed her other hand on Willow's opposite cheek, pulling her face closer. Their mouths were inches apart and she could feel the redhead's sweet breath brushing over her lips. She watched as Willow's gaze dropped to her full lips and she licked them, causing the redhead's eyes to darken with desire. Without further pause, their mouths met in a passionate kiss, flaring the flame of want that had already been lit earlier by the redhead's advances. The two Wiccans moved in tandem towards the bed and Tara pushed Willow down onto the springy mattress, pushing her hands through red hair. Willow's hands slipped under the fabric of Tara's top and met with warm skin, causing the blonde to moan as she leant down for another kiss.

A tapping interrupted them and Willow groaned in frustration as Tara pulled away slightly. She looked Willow in the eyes before pushing her lips against the redhead's again. The hacker's hands moved under the top to the sensitive skin of Tara's back, making the blonde arch her body towards the redhead. Their kissing became more frantic as a harder knock came at the door. Still, they ignored it, needing to feel each other, needing to be with just the other.

"Guys?" Came Buffy's voice. "I just wanted to apologise." Her voice rose a little, just in case the two Wiccans hadn't heard her.

Willow slowly pulled away from the kiss but kept her hand where they were. "It's okay, Buffy." She hoped the Slayer wouldn't notice the drop in her voice.

"No, I feel really bad. I mean…" Came Buffy's response, her voice trailing off. "Can I come in?"

Willow look startled at her lover who shook her head, gazing down at the redhead with such a longing that it caused a new flood of desire to course through her body. "Uh, I… I don't, um, think…" Willow couldn't find the words, her mind preoccupied with the sensations her body was feeling.

"You can have her when I'm finished with her." Tara's extremely husky voice cut into Willow's incoherent sentence. The redhead's eyes widened in surprise and her face flushed as she took in the highly aroused look on her lover's face. She heard a muffled sound from behind the door to the hallway and she was sure Buffy had fallen over. She let out a small giggle before Tara quickly laid claim to her mouth once more.

Her entire body ached and the need to flee was screaming at her from the recesses of her mind but Anya was determined to stay with Giles until she knew it was safe to go for help. She lay on her back, looking up at the jagged ceiling of an underground chamber. The faint sound of dripping water sent a chill through her body, making her prison seem eerier than it actually was. The few flame torches that adorned the walls spread little light but the vengeance demon could just make out the ex watcher on the opposite side of the chamber. He was still unconscious and hadn't woken in the hours they had been here. When they had been jumped by the group of vampires, they had been quickly overwhelmed, Giles taking several blows to his head and Anya had almost been strangled. If it hadn't been for the harsh words from the lead vampire then Anya was sure she would have suffocated. Many thoughts of how she would torture these demons for eternity rushed through the vengeance demon's mind and somehow, none of the tortures seemed good enough for them. She would have to think long and hard to produce a worthy one.

The sound of heavy footsteps sounded through the cavernous chamber and Anya could just make out a large figure approaching through the gloominess. She gasped as she saw the dog like head and the vicious looking fangs. Oddly, the head was attached to a human looking body, the body of a heavy built male. She couldn't recognise the demon and realised she had never come across his like in the centuries she had been alive. The thought of not knowing whom she faced made her shudder.

"Ah, I see one of my guests is awake." The canine head spoke, his jaw moving with the words. The voice seemed to go straight through Anya, making her cringe and every one of her muscles constrict in disgust.

"W-Who are you?" Anya asked shakily.

The looming figure seemed to be smiling. "I am Anubis, but I am more curious to who you are. You're not human like your little friend here." He said, motioning to the unconscious Englishman.

Anya shook her head, a sense of pride welling up inside her. "No, I'm Anyanka and I suggest you release us because I'm a vengeance demon and I don't take kindly to being kidnapped."

A sick laughing erupted from Anubis, his head rolling backwards as the noise made Anya's skin crawl. "A vengeance demon, I see. No matter, you will make an intriguing piece of bait. Now tell me, where are your friends? The three chosen few?"

It suddenly dawned on Anya to who this demon might be. Dread filled her as she listened to his words and she knew she had to get to Buffy and the others soon so she could warn them. Anubis moved round her as if a predator stalking his prey. If she left now that would give her enough time to tell her friends what the danger was before Anubis got the information out of Giles, but if she did so that would mean certain death for the ex watcher. Anya knew Giles wouldn't purposely give the location of Buffy away but she suspected Anubis had persuasive ways of extracting information. After all, she did and she was just a vengeance demon, she wasn't exactly big on getting information, just torturing.

The decision made, she stood as best she could and faced Anubis. "I'm sorry, Mr. I Am Mightier Than Thee, I have a prior engagement and must run." She gave the bemused demon a wave before teleporting away from the chambers and Giles. Anubis roared with anger as she disappeared, quickly focusing his attentions on the Englishman.

END OF CHAPTER 4

Tara: I got so lost
Willow: I found you... I will always find you

Post subject: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:12 pm 
Hmm, my posts did a weird thing and Chapter 4 came up three times, sorry.

Edited by: Centauri2002 at: 7/28/02 2:17:09 pm

Post subject: Re: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:31 pm 
And the plot thickens. :)

Great update. I really love frisky Tara. ;)

Poor Giles, though. I'm afraid he's going to get the bad end of Anubis' anger.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:45 pm 
It came up 3 times? I hate when that happens.

Anyway, awesome update! And Tara was just yum!

-Will

"Hear that baby? You're my always."

"well, you know, when you play a lesbian witch you've gotta get killed in this fun kind of exciting way, so the heart was the way to go..."

"we have the most amazing fans though they LOVE us."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:55 pm 
hmmm...i feel for anya...it's a tough decision...anya is showing her "human" side after all...very good update though...i laughed so hard when buffy and xander stood by and watched tara and willow go at it...

can't wait for the next update...

steph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:05 pm 
My God Buffy and Xander watchin Will n Tara, that was too funny! And then Buffy goes upstairs after them tryin to apologize when she shoulda known they were gonna be up to the same game, but it was funny! Tara actin kinda frisky, but i'm totally not complainin! Actually i want more Tara friskiness!! ;)

And now on a serious note the Anya, thing i'm glad she did the whole vanishing act on the Anubis dude! And i'm also glad she is still showin some human emotions!

Loved the Update, Can't wait 4 more!! :)

"W-well, I-I was wondering, maybe, you would wanna go out sometime? For coffee ... food ... kisses and gay love?" - Willow (Normal Again)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:09 am 
So glad that Anya was with Giles, so she can warn the others. Anubis still doesn't know The Light has been returned, that's good, but he does have poor Giles.

The frisky Wiccas getting caught by B&X. You'd think Buffy would have had more sense than to follow them upstairs to apologise.

Indigo Girls

Post subject: Chapter 5
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 1:41 pm 
Okay, I updated eventually. Sorry it took so long in coming. It's not a very long one either but I hope you enjoy it.

Caz

Chapter 5

Anubis paced from one side of the darkened chamber to the other, his eyes never leaving the still body sprawled across the cold floor. His anger still raged from the escape of the vengeance demon but he had kept himself from venting it on his remaining prisoner. Instead, he had eviscerated an unsuspecting vampire who had come to check on the prisoners. This, however, only made him feel a little better.

He watched as the body stirred and a moan emanated from the waking human. Anubis stepped closer, looming above his prisoner, waiting for the human's senses to register him. It took almost a full five minutes for the prisoner's head to snap up and look at Anubis.

"Ah, you're with us at last." Anubis commented, his mouth curling into a vicious snarl.

The human male scampered backwards on his hands and behind, attempting to increase the distance between him and the threatening demon before him. Anubis could see the question forming on the human's dry lips and he almost laughed at the mortal's curiosity.

"I am Anubis, human." The demon answered before his captive could ask the question. "You will answer my questions or suffer unimaginable torment." He stated matter-of-factly.

Before the human could speak, the pair was interrupted by a quiet coughing. Anubis turned to see a short vampire, head bowed, waiting for his master's attention. Anubis cast one last glare at his prisoner before approaching the vampire. "What is it?" He asked impatiently. He was eager to proceed with the torture of his new guest.

"Forgive me for the interruption, my lord." The vampire snivelled. "But I have information I thought you might be interested in."

Anubis growled at the vampire to get to the point and so the lesser demon continued. "I recently ate a man who informed me that a fairly large group left town and took up residence in one of his safe houses." The vampire's lips curved upwards as he heard the prisoner curse. "Two of the group match your descriptions perfectly apparently. The Physical and Spiritual are together and I know of their location."

This pleased Anubis immensely. He hadn't imagined such good news would come so soon but he felt slightly disappointed that he wouldn't get the opportunity to torture his prisoner now. "Take me to them." He ordered.

The vampire bowed a little lower. "Of course, my lord." He turned and scuffled out of the chamber.

Anubis turned to the human who wore a look of horror on his face. "Did you hear that, mortal? Your friends will soon be dead." He considered his options for a moment and let the new information sink in to the human. "I think I will keep you alive and bring you the remains of those pathetic Chosen Few. Heads or hearts? Hmm, decisions, decisions." He let out a sickening laugh as he left a hopeless Giles behind.

Descending the stairs cautiously, Tara peered through the doorway to the living room as soon as she could see it. The baggy white t-shirt hang loosely around her thighs and her bare feet padded soundlessly against the wooden staircase. When she reached the bottom of the steps, she could see clearly into the living room and noted it was empty. She let her body relax and was glad she could avoid contact with Xander or Buffy. She wasn't sure if she could deal with the embarrassment of the events that took place several hours ago.

She moved into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from a cabinet before moving towards the fridge. She let out a small yelp as she saw Buffy standing there. Her heart pounded in her chest from the shock and she was surprised she had kept hold of the glass in her hand.

"Buffy!" She exclaimed, taking a few deep breaths to calm her nerves.

"Tara." Buffy muttered, her voice low. They looked at each other for a few seconds before the Slayer's hazel eyes darted away.

Tara could already feel a blush work its way across her face and down her neck. She continued towards the fridge and Buffy moved aside. The blonde witch reached for the fridge handle but stopped short, looking at the Slayer. She sighed at the awkwardness they were both so obviously feeling. She placed the glass on the counter and turned fully to Buffy.

"Look, Buffy, about earlier…" She started, not exactly sure what she going to say about it.

"No, it's okay. I don't really want to talk about it anyway." The Slayer said, levelling her gaze with Tara's.

Tara's brow creased. She wondered why Buffy was acting like this about it; she must have been more embarrassed about the situation than Tara first thought. "I'm sorry." Tara forged ahead. "I guess Willow and I… well, we should have had a little more control." She let out a little laugh.

Buffy seemed to soften. "Don't worry about it, we all lose control sometimes." She said knowingly. She thought how silly it was of her to get embarrassed over this. "It's just… I felt as though I was intruding on an intimate moment." She smirked slightly. "And that was definitely only meant for you two."

Tara blushed again. "Yes… well…" She trailed off, lowering her eyes.

The Slayer rested her hand on the Wiccan's shoulder. "And next time…" She paused, waiting for Tara to look up and see the serious expression on her face. "Maybe you could just record it and we could catch the reruns."

The blonde witch's eyes widened at Buffy's words and she flushed a deeper red. The Slayer started laughing at how the other woman squirmed from her teasing and soon Tara joined her. Tara realised how much she had changed. Only a few years ago she would have run screaming from the room had someone mentioned this to her. Also, she would never have made such intimate public displays of affection either.

After the pair had sobered from their joviality, Tara fetched her glass and poured herself some milk while she chatted to Buffy. It felt like such a long time since she had last had a decent talk with the older Summers. They moved into the living room and seated themselves on the sofa, Tara feeling slightly exposed in her t-shirt but enjoying the company too much to get changed just yet. Her thoughts wondered to her girlfriend who she had left sleeping in the large comfortable bed upstairs. She remembered how her copper tresses were splayed out across the pillow and her features were relaxed in peaceful slumber. A smile inadvertently worked its way onto her lips and Buffy quirked an eyebrow.

"What are you thinking about, Miss. Maclay? Need I ask?" She asked, smiling also.

Tara let out a small chuckle. "Willow." She said simply.

Buffy nodded, knowing that would be the answer. "It's great seeing her so happy now. It's hard to imagine her being anything else." She immediately regretted the words as she saw the smile fade from Tara's face.

"I'm not sure if I want to know the answer but… What was she like? What was she like before I came back?" Tara asked tentatively.

The Slayer sighed, a flood of sadness overcoming her as she thought back to all that had happened between Tara's death and her return. She didn't want the gentle blonde to experience that feeling but she felt that she couldn't lie to her. "I wont lie to you, Tara. I've never seen her in such a bad way. Just before you returned, she was like a shell; she was hollow, unresponsive, and empty. And just after you were shot…" She trailed off, unable to share such devastating information.

"What? Please, Buffy, I need to know." Tara urged. She hated seeing the pain and guilt that would sometimes appear in Willow's eyes when she looked at Tara. She had to know what caused that so she could soothe the redhead and take the pain away.

Buffy took a deep breath, preparing herself for what she was about to say. If anything, it was harder to say the words aloud than to think back on those events. "When you were shot, Willow flipped." She looked up into pained blue eyes. "She went to the Magic Box and sucked all the black arts books dry. She hunted your killer down, Warren. She killed him." Her throat tightened around the words and she had to stop, vivid images of the nerd's death flashing through her mind.

Tara didn't speak; she merely looked down at her hands. She couldn't imagine her Willow harming anyone and it made her feel so guilty that the redhead did it because of her. "There's more, isn't there?" She asked eventually.

Buffy nodded sombrely. "She didn't stop there. After that, she changed so much. She wasn't Willow anymore. She was some sort of personification of all her grief, pain, and power. She went after Andrew and Jonathan but we managed to get to them in time." Buffy sighed again. "She started to lose power so she went to Rack and took his, killing him in the process. She even tried to turn Dawn back into her energy form." Tara looked up at her in horror. "I turned up at that point and tried to talk her into coming back to us but she was lost. She didn't think there was any reason to go on without you, so she gave herself over to the magic." Buffy looked down at carpet. "She teleported us all to the Magic Box and she and I fought." The memories were beginning to get too much for the Slayer, remembering her best friend like that was too horrible.

Tara placed a hand on one of hers. Buffy looked up and the blonde witch gave her a reassuring smile, though the pain in her sapphire eyes betrayed her emotions. "You don't have to continue."

Buffy shook her head. "I've started now, might as well finish." She stated with a shrug. "Skipping the details, Giles turned up and there wasn't any sign of our Willow left. We all got split up and Willow took Giles' power. He had been informed of your death and the rising dark power in Sunnydale by a powerful coven that leant him their powers. Somehow, this allowed Willow to feel… everything. The pain must have been overwhelming for her and it was then that she decided to end the suffering…" She stopped, instinctively having the urge to turn and look towards the doorway.

To her horror, she saw Willow standing in the entrance to the living room, tears in her eyes. She expected the redhead to run or even curse Buffy for telling Tara, but she didn't. She walked further into the room but stopped several feet from the sofa, her arms wrapped around her waist. She was wearing a loose fitting silk robe and she was shivering, though Buffy suspected it wasn't from the cold.

"I was convinced the only way to save the world was to end it." The petite hacker said in a small voice, her words coming out almost as a whisper. She refused to meet the eyes of her best friend and lover. "I would have as well if it hadn't been for Xander and Giles' pure magic. I couldn't stand it any more." Tears streamed down her cheeks as Tara stood and moved towards the redhead. Willow raised a hand, stopping her lover in her tracks. "I bore so much hate." She spat out the words as she finally lifted her eyes, looking only at Buffy. "I wanted so many people to suffer because they were here instead of someone who truly deserved to be." A sob wracked her body and she sunk to her knees. "I was willing to kill you all."

Tara couldn't hang back any longer and she came to her lover's side, encompassing her in loving arms. "It's over, Will. That wasn't you."

The redhead seemed to welcome the embrace for a moment but she soon jerked out of Tara's arms, struggling to her feet. All of a sudden, she felt as though all the strength had been sapped from her. She backed away from the blonde witch. "Stay away from me!" Tara reached out for Willow, tears in her pained eyes. "Just stay away!" Willow screamed and ran from the room.

Her bare feet pounded against the cushiony softness of the grass as she fled through the manor gardens. Willow didn't care where she was going, as long as it was away from all the people she cared about. Away from all the people she could hurt. Who was she kidding? She could never go back to being who she was before. She could never expect the love of the most beautiful woman she had ever known, again. She didn't deserve any of those things. She was the one who should be dead and buried. The thoughts invaded her mind but she didn't push them away this time. They all made sense to her and there was no use in denying it, not any more.

She reached the lake she had been sitting with Tara at earlier in the day. Tears travelled the curves of her cheeks as she thought about that happy time. Yet another thing she didn't deserve. She walked forwards, the cool water of the lake sending shivers up her legs. She continued moving forwards, the refreshing liquid cleansing her of her thoughts for the moment. She waded in until the water reached her waist and then she stopped. Her hands traced patterns in the water as she stared blankly into the lake's murky depths. All thoughts left her as her mind seemed content on just examining the lilies floating idly on the water's surface.

"Xander! Buffy!" Anya's voice rang out through the manor house. She had teleported into the house's kitchen and was momentarily disorientated, having never been in this place before. She noted with mild annoyance that Xander had been the first person she had called for.

She moved through to the hallway and almost ran into Tara who was hurrying to the front door. Buffy followed quickly behind her but stopped as soon as she lay her eyes upon the vengeance demon. Anya reached out and grabbed Tara's arm, bringing her to a halt. She saw the tear stains streaking the blonde's face but decided her task was more important than an upset Wiccan. "Buffy!" She looked straight at the Slayer but still held on to Tara.

"Anya? What are you doing here?" Buffy questioned, an uncomfortable feeling settling in her stomach.

"Giles. He's been captured." Anya spat out as Dawn and Xander came hurrying down the stairs. She gave them a cursory glance before continuing. "That's not the worst thing either. He's been captured by Anubis who will most certainly extract your location from him by some means of torture. That means Anubis will be after you soon. We don't have much time." She hurriedly explained.

"Who's Anubis?" Xander asked confused. "And how did he get Giles?" Worry tightened his voice.

"That doesn't matter now, you need to get out of here." Anya waved off his questions.

"It damn well does matter!" Buffy seethed. "We need to get him back!"

Anya sighed. "I don't know much about Anubis, only what I've heard. He is a very old demon who was supposedly locked up for many, many centuries. He was regarded as a jackal god by the Ancient Egyptians, and I may be jumping to a huge conclusion here, but he might have something to do with your prophecy." She took a deep breath, preparing to go on with her story. "Giles and I were jumped by a big group of vampires and taken to his dirty and badly decorated hideout where he made it perfectly clear of his intentions. He wants the three Chosen Few." She then realised she still held onto Tara's arm and let go.

"Three?" Dawn asked.

Anya nodded. "Apparently, he doesn't know Tara's back. Now come on, shift those butts and get them into gear. We need to move. We've got twenty four hours at the most, depending on whether Giles can last that long or not." She moved to the stairs, pushing Xander in that direction.

Buffy shuddered at the thought of Giles being tortured. "We have to go save him."

Anya shook her head adamantly. "That's a very stupid idea. Anubis would have you exactly where he wants you then. I'm not particularly in the mood for the end of the world today so I say we run."

"We can't just leave him." Dawn complained.

Anya sighed. She knew she was being reckless and possibly manipulated by the show of compassion here but she decided she at least owed it to all of them. "Fine. I'll go back and check on him. See if I can get him out of there." She rolled her eyes and ceased shoving Xander.

"No, An, it's too dangerous." Xander placed his hand on Anya's arm.

"We have to compromise. I'll do you a favour; you lot can do the world a favour. Stay alive." With that, she blinked out of the manor house. Xander stood staring at the space in which is ex fiancée had been standing, an expression of deep worry etched into his features.

"Oh my god, we have to get moving." Dawn panicked, sprinting up the stairs.

"It's going to be okay, we've got time to get out of here." Buffy shouted after her sister.

Buffy heard a loud cracking sound from outside the house and she turned towards the open door in time to see a tall oak tree fall smoothly to the ground.

"Looks like we just ran out of time." Came Xander's voice from behind her.

"Willow." Tara gasped, running out the door.

Tara, wait!" Buffy called out, rushing after her.

END OF CHAPTER 5

Post subject: Re: Chapter 5
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 2:00 pm 
Yay an update and a very Good one!! All action-y. Aww Willow tellin Tara to stay away from her, well that just can't last!! I really hate this Anubis guy, Poor Giles!! :sad I hope they can get him back! But i'm more worried bout all their safety right now! And Tara runnin out the door to find Will, i hope nothin happens to her!! Can't wait 4 ur next update!! :)

"Don't warn the tadpoles!...
I-I have frog fear."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:20 pm 
Oh god, I know Tara needed to hear what happened, but poor Willow.. I can't imagine what she's feeling right now.

And ack! Leaving us like that! ;) Ugh... cliffhangers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:09 pm 
Thanks for the update. I really thought you did a nice job with the scene between Buffy and Tara.

Autumn

-----------

Buffy Season 6: It grated, like something forced in where it doesn't belong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:50 am 
I know Tara had to know what happened to Willow, but I don't think it was Buffy's place to tell her.

Giles and I were jumped by a big group of vampires and taken to his dirty and badly decorated hideout This really sounded like something Anya would say.

Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:40 am 
MissQuirky: I'm glad you liked it. :D Yes, poor Giles, he always seem to be able to get himself into a fix, doesn't he? Hopefully, Anya will come to his rescue... but you're going to have to wait. ;)

LeatherQueen: I'm sorry about the cliffhangers. (well, not really.) ;) And I think Tara did need to hear what happened as well but perhaps that wasnt the best way... hmm. Too late now! :evil

AutumnT: Thanks, I'm glad you liked that, it's always hard doing emotion packed scenes... heck, it's hard doing any type of scene! ;)

mollyig: You're right, it wasn't her place but these things happen.

I'm happy now that that sounded like Anya, I always think I write the characters OOC and it's quite frustrating. Glad I've been proved wrong this time. :D

Thank you all for reading... and to those who don't comment... I love you all. :kiss

Caz