The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:53 am 
Wow, I'm just now catching up, and I have to say I very much love this story! I'm in awe of the way you piece the plot together, how you describe each character to prefection, and how you are able to capture the passion and love between Willow and Tara. I cannot wait until the next update!

Wow!

Hugz

Kerri (The panther kitten with an eternal caffeine rush)
~`~`~`~
Willow: Were more centered on the girl-on-girl action. ~ Talking with Anyaka in Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:05 pm 
Hee, thanks Kerri. :blush

I'm glad you liked it. If you liked this story, perhaps you'll like my others. I've just updated Pansoudi'a... well, I'm just going to anyway. Sorry, shameless plugging of my other story. *shrugs*

Again, thanks for the compliments, I think my head is swelling and I'm off to do a happy little dance! :party

Caz

Tara: I got so lost
Willow: I found you... I will always find you

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 8:38 pm 
Just got caught up with this fic, I am really loving the plot, there is a sense of urgency that makes everything more intense. I am praying for a way out for them. They so belong together.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Childie -"Not all girls are raving bloody lesbians, you know!"

George - "That's a misfortune of which I am perfectly well aware."

The Killing of Sister George

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 1:12 pm 
Sadly i don't think i can read this one just yet.

Still waiting for s6 over here in Holland....:(

I''ve sadly read to many spiolers as it is.....

I'll come back though.

R.

Post subject: Chapter 6
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:02 pm 
xita: I'm glad you like it! :D Your compliments really mean a lot.

TareBearRS: That's okay, I'm sure this story's going to keep on going and going and it'll still be here when you've finished seeing S6. :)

Now for the update... I promise big changes! ;)

Chapter 6

Her mind screamed at her, telling her to run faster but her body wouldn't comply. She looked ahead, hoping to catch a glimpse of Willow but she couldn't see her. She could sense something in the area, something strong and dark but all she cared about right now was finding her Willow. The redhead had been in so much distress when she had run out of the house that Tara feared what she might do. Anya's appearance had delayed Tara in finding her lover and she just hoped Willow hadn't wandered off too far.

She cast a look at the fallen trunk of an oak tree, her mind racing at the possibilities that could have caused it. She had heard Anya's warnings all too clearly and now, danger seemed to be snapping at their heels. Tara could just make out the jagged tear at the bottom of the tree trunk where it had been ripped apart. Part of the trunk still stood upright in the earth. She couldn't see what had caused it and was relieved Willow had been nowhere near it.

She turned and headed towards the lake, where she thought her lover might go for some peace and quiet. The petite hacker had always enjoyed peacefulness, especially when she was studying and Tara figured it was the same for when she had a lot on her mind. As the shimmering water came into view, she spotted a figure in the lake. Her heart missed a beat as she wondered what the redhead was doing in the water. With a spurt of energy, she sprinted faster across the grass. She was vaguely aware of someone calling her name from behind her but she wasn't going to stop. She had to get to Willow.

"Will!" She called out, her breath coming in hard gulps as her body tired.

The redhead didn't look around and Tara could just make out the small movements of her hands on the surface of the lake. Willow seemed entranced by the motion. Tara pushed onwards, closing the gap between them at a snail's pace, it seemed. She was just metres from the edge of the lake when she called out to her lover again. This time the redhead turned but her gaze was distant.

Tara stopped, breathing heavily. "Will… Are you okay?"

The hacker didn't answer; instead, she stared behind the blonde. Tara began to worry, she had never seen her lover like this before, and it was scaring her.

"She will be." Came a chilling voice from behind her. The sound made her skin crawl and she turned slowly, realising whoever was behind her was what Willow had been staring at.

She lay eyes upon the being for the first time and almost let out a cry of terror. The demon was mere inches from her and she was surprised she hadn't sensed it. Its long jaw hung low in a vicious smile, its long white teeth sharp enough to pierce the strongest of metals. The red eyes bored into her, making her feel vulnerable and exposed.

"Who are you?" She demanded, hoping she was keeping the fear from her voice.

The demon let out a small laugh. "I am Anubis, my dear. You are no concern of mine, leave and you will be spared." He looked behind Tara and an icy touch clutched at the blonde's heart.

Tara glanced back over her shoulder, seeing that Willow was still frozen in the same position she had been before. The redhead and Anubis stared at one another, never once breaking eye contact. Tara backed away from the demon.

"Don't touch her!" Tara warned, her feet shuffling quicker as Anubis lowered his eyes to hers.

He raised a hand and flexed his fingers, a small green orb of light appearing above his palm. "Are you going to stop me, mortal?"

Tara's jaw jutted out in defiance. She would never let anyone or anything hurt her Willow. "Yes." She let the word fall from her lips easily.

Anubis hesitated from the surety of her statement and regarded her in silence. His jackal like head tilted to the side slightly and he was sure he could sense something within her. He narrowed his eyes but decided it was unimportant, all that mattered was the annihilation of the Chosen Few, and one more human death would be insignificant.

Tara could feel the build up of power within the demon and started concentrating her own magics. She just hoped she hadn't lost any of her power through her ordeal. Chanting quickly, she erected a barrier between herself and Anubis, hopefully one he couldn't see. Without any more thought, he launched the green energy ball at Tara and it collided with her barrier. His eyes widened in surprise but narrowed soon enough when he poured more power into his destructive sphere.

The blonde Wiccan felt the barrier spell weaken quickly, too quick for her to react and within seconds she watched in terror as the green orb shot towards her.

"Tara!" Came a cry from behind her and she felt herself being pushed forwards and downwards. She met the soft grass with a grunt and felt a familiar body fall on top of her. She looked up towards the demon who let out a howl of frustration and stepped towards her. The body on top of her shifted and she was free to rise again. She looked to her left and saw Willow looking at her with concern, the traces of the haunted girl all but gone for the time being. The redhead helped Tara up and they both turned to Anubis.

"So, courageous Darkness had come to help the weak and innocent." Anubis taunted Willow.

The redhead didn't respond and Tara could tell she was trying to formulate a plan to get them out of danger. It was then she realised Buffy, Xander, and Dawn were closing in on them quickly. Unfortunately, Anubis also realised this. He turned and with the flick of a wrist, sent three spheres of green energy flying into them. They tumbled backwards on the lawn.

"Wait your turn." His voice boomed.

He faced Willow and Tara once again, his eyes focusing on the petite redhead. Tara slipped her hand into Willow's and positioned her body slightly ahead of her lover's. She was determined to let nothing happen to the hacker, even if that meant that she, herself, would take the brunt of the attack that was surely to come.

"Tara…" Willow whispered, squeezing the blonde's hand.

She turned to look at the redhead. "It'll be okay, Will." She took a deep breath, looking at Anubis who seemed to be in deep thought. She didn't know if it was going to be okay or how they would defeat this demon. He just seemed too powerful.

Anubis looked at Tara and smiled. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was gone. One second he was there, and then the next, he was gone. Tara looked about in confusion. Why had he gone when it seemed as though he would win? It didn't make sense. Then it hit her; she could still feel his presence. He wasn't gone.

She spun around to see he was behind them, looming over Willow. In the time it took for her to gasp, he had grabbed the redhead around the neck and lifted her up, pulling their hands roughly apart. A strangled cry erupted from Willow's throat as she was pulled into the air.

"No!" Tara cried, lurching forwards to grab her lover but Anubis was too fast. He now stood several metres away with Willow dangling from his hand like a doll. He smiled maliciously at her.

"Hmm, Darkness." He mused. "She doesn't seem very dark, does she?" He aimed the question at Tara.

Tara knew he was taunting her and that she shouldn't respond but she felt the need to defend her lover. "That's because she isn't!" She spat, moving forward, one step at a time.

Anubis laughed as Willow clutched at the hand around her neck that was slowly chocking the air from her. "Well, we can't have the 'almighty prophecy' being wrong, can we?"

Tara paused, confused. "W-What..?" A deep sense of dread formed in the pit of her stomach making her feel sick.

The grip on Willow's throat tightened and she whimpered. "This precious flower is about to become a twisted weed." He snarled.

"Goddess, no." Tara breathed, her eyes wide with horror as realisation hit her. She rushed forwards, not sure what she was going to do. She had to stop him.

But it was too late. The glow of red in his eyes brightened and black tendrils of power snaked down his arm and into Willow. She squirmed under his hold but to no avail. She looked like helpless bait on a hook and the demon was treating her as such. More and more power flowed into her and she let out a terrified scream. Her eyes rolled back in her head as the fiery red fibres of her hair darkened to deep crimson. The veins of her neck rose to the surface and continued in their trail up to her face.

Anubis dropped her to the ground and she fell onto all fours, panting heavily. Tara stumbled and came to a halt, watching her lover change before her. Anubis' sickening laugh rang through the air as Willow looked up at the blonde Wiccan with jet black eyes. The deep crimson of her hair faded to the dead colour of darkness, the blackness of Anubis' power visible in so many ways.

Willow rose to her feet, her empty eyes still upon Tara. The blonde witch shook her head in disbelief. How could her lover look so different, she was hardly recognisable.

"Now that's an improvement. She lives up to her name now." Anubis said, stepping beside Willow. "And the best thing about it, she's all mine." The demon sniffed at Willow's neck, his long crimson tongue darting out to taste the skin there.

Tara flinched at his actions, anger bubbling up inside her. How dare he touch her? "Stay away from her!" Her voice came out almost as a feral sound.

Anubis laughed once more. He stepped away from Willow. "Darkness." Willow glanced at him before her attention focused on Tara again. "Kill her."

With that, the now black haired young woman stepped forwards, as if stalking her prey. Tara backed off, unsure. She wasn't sure exactly what Anubis had done to Willow but there was some sort of mind control at work here.

"Willow?" Her voice was now small and slightly scared.

The black haired witch stopped suddenly. "Yeah?" She answered with her normal voice.

Tara's brow creased with uncertainty, her mouth opening as if she would say something but no sound emitting from it. Anubis looked just as perplexed. Without warning, Willow spun on the spot and raised her arm, a cascade of black and green energy lancing out to hit Anubis squarely in the chest. He stumbled backwards and looked up in shock.

"No one controls me!" She sneered, her eyes returning to their normal green.

As soon as the words were from her mouth, Buffy, Xander, and Dawn came running up, having recovered from Anubis' attack.

Anubis, seeing that he had made a grave mistake, lifted his arms and disappeared in a cloud of green smoke. Tara sighed a breath of relief as his presence diminished and she knew he was gone from the area. For the moment, at least. She let her gaze rest upon Willow, who turned back towards her.

Buffy came forwards to stand on Tara's left whilst Xander took up position on her right. Dawn hung back, her own fears winning over her bravery. Tara could feel the tenseness in her friends and realised this had been the form of Willow they had faced when she had died. However, she didn't feel threatened when green pierced her blues eyes. She only felt familiarity and warmth.

Buffy stepped forwards but Tara grabbed her arm. "Wait. Let me."

The Slayer looked at her as if she'd grown another head. "No, you don't understand. She's not Willow anymore." She explained, knowing Tara had never faced this Willow before.

The blonde Wiccan shook her head. "No, Buffy. It's you who doesn't understand." Her voice was soft and patient. "Look at her. What do you see?"

Buffy turned and looked into curious green eyes. She didn't feel the same confrontational menace from Willow as she had before but she could see it was the same woman, fuelled by dark magic. Her head told her that could lead to only one outcome. "I see a threat." She said coldly. She couldn't bear having to face her best friend again but it was the only way.

Buffy felt the grip on her arm tighten. "I look at her and see only my Willow." Tara's voice soothed her battle ready nerves and she hesitated. Tara walked past her and she didn't move to stop her. She trusted the blonde witch's judgement. It had been proved right many times.

Willow didn't move away as Tara approached, instead she looked expectantly into loving blue pools. Without faltering, the blonde reached her arms out to the black haired witch and she fell eagerly into them, feeling them enclose around her small frame.

"Oh Willow." Tara sighed.

"I'm sorry, Tara. I couldn't stop it." Willow muttered.

"I know, sweetie, I know." She stroked the black hair of her lover, feeling a sense of loss at not being able to marvel at the fiery redness of it. It still felt as soft and silky as before but without the vibrant colour it had before, it didn't seem as alive.

Buffy, Xander, and Dawn watched in amazement at the scene, never would they have predicted this outcome in a thousand years. They had all been ready for a fight with Willow but instead she was involved in a caring embrace with her lover.

"I guess love does conquer all." Xander muttered and Buffy could only nod in agreement.

"Get up!" Anya encouraged firmly. She had arrived within the chamber and found, to her relief, Giles alone and conscious. He had told her that Anubis had found out about Buffy's location and that she should go and warn them. At that point, she had informed him that she already had at that he should stop being a "selfless idiot." Now, she was having difficulty in shifting him.

The Englishman groaned and allowed Anya to help him to his feet. They scrambled to the only exit the dank room had and the vengeance demon peered out into the tunnel. It seemed clear and a spark of hope lit up within her.

"Perhaps you won't die in here after all." Anya said cheerily.

Giles grumbled as they moved forwards. The hurriedly noisily down the tunnel, splashing through puddles and scraping the walls but eventually they made it to a ladder. "Oh, bloody marvellous." Giles complained, looking up at the many rungs and the far off manhole cover.

Anya rolled her eyes and looked down the tunnel. "Get a move on, I thought I heard something."

The ex watcher slowly made his way up the ladder, disappearing from view of the tunnel as Anya glanced up and down it. Several angry shouts startled her and she turned to see two vampires closing in on her. She looked quickly up the ladder to see Giles making good progress before facing the vampires. She donned her demon face and held a hand up.

"Stop!" The pair came to a halt, eyeing her suspiciously.

"I see you're two very…" She looked them up and down. "Uh, respectable demons."

They looked at each other and nodded eagerly at the comment.

"And I can also see you've been wronged many times and forced into menial manual labour." Anya continued dramatically.

The vampires nodded again.

"Well, I think I can be of service. I, as you are probably aware, am a vengeance demon." She stalled; glancing upwards and seeing Giles heave the manhole cover upwards. "Wouldn't you like to wish something?"

"Like what?" One of the mentally challenged vampires asked.

Anya waved a hand absently. "Oh, I don't know. Pain upon your oppressive master, power for yourselves…" She sniffed the air. "A bath?"

The vampires became slightly agitated at her final words.

"A hair stylist…"

The first vampire growled while the second bared his fangs.

"A brain!" With that, she blinked out of the tunnel, reappearing above ground next to Giles who was sprawled across the ground, the manhole cover beside him. They had emerged outside a large warehouse in the poorer area of Sunnydale.

Anya offered Giles a hand and he accepted it with a limp arm. "Wow, that was fun." Her words were coated in sarcasm.

"Let's get back to Buffy's house. They may have left a message." Giles said, exhaustion evident in his eyes.

END OF CHAPTER 6

Post subject: Re: Chapter 6
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:42 pm 
Great update!! It was kinda hurtful to hear Will tell that Anubis dude to kill Tara, but she wasn't herself! Love alwayz conquers all!! W/T are a perfect example of that!

A Big YAY 4 Anya savin Giles!! Even tho shes a demon she is still like herself, rude but sometimes caring! Can't wait 4 ur next update! :D

"Don't warn the tadpoles!...
I-I have frog fear."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:25 pm 
Wow. So Darkness has made her appearance. Interesting, especially, that Anubis did not recognize Tara for who she is.

Great update... very suspenseful, and I love the way you're portraying Anya. :grin

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:14 am 
Typical reaction of Buffy not to see beyond what Willow looks like, and instead to perceive just a threat. So glad that Tara trusted her instincts and went to her girl.

What does this mean to the prophecy though. Anubis didn't think that Willow was truly dark, and had to feed the darkness to her. Hmm, interesting.

I liked Anya's banter with the vampires to give Giles time to escape.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

Post subject: Chapter 7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:20 pm 
Sorry this one took so long... it seems my other story is more popular and I was enjoying writing it so I kinda stuck at that one. Naughty, I know. I'll try to develop this one a little more. :D

Caz

Chapter 7

Willow sat in the back seat of Xander's car having been asked to stay there by Tara whilst everyone collected his or her belongings. She pulled her knees up to her chin and wrapped her arms around her legs. She could feel the magic coursing through her body but it hadn't felt as volatile as before. Perhaps that was because it wasn't mixed with rage, grief, and vengeance. She looked at the dark strands of hair that flopped down in front of her face and shuddered. It had been in this form when she had taken another's life and hurt those she cared deeply for. If she could do it then, she could do it now. That thought scared her and she slowly slipped out of the car door, placing her feet firmly on the manor house's driveway. She looked to the house and saw none of the gang was in sight so she walked away, towards the tree that had fallen only an hour ago. She wasn't sure where she would go but she knew it had to be away from these people. She wouldn't risk them, especially Tara. She had already lost her once, she couldn't face that again.

It was strange, she didn't feel much different to before she had been attacked by the demon. She didn't have an urge to destroy the world or kill anyone, she just wanted to protect the people she loved. She decided not to dwell too much on it. She reached the fallen tree and ran a pale hand across the rough bark. It was very much dead and Willow could feel the echo of its life force due to her heightened magical state. She wasn't as attuned to everything as she had been when she had taken the pure magic from Giles, but as soon as she neared something, she could feel its essence. Her analytical mind found it intriguing and extremely fascinating but she focused on gaining distance between her and her friends.

She soon found herself walking through tall broad trees, her feet crushing the undergrowth as she walked. She didn't look back, she didn't dare. If she even caught a glimpse of her beautiful lover than her resolve would fade. She knew it would panic Tara when she found Willow gone and the hacker wondered if she should have left a note. She shook her head. No time for that. This was for the best. She wondered where her path would lead if she continued to walk in a straight line. She knew this safe haven was far from any civilisation and it would take her a long time to walk to the nearest home or shop. She could use magic to teleport but that would be breaking her promise to Tara. Even if she wasn't with the blonde witch right now, she felt she had to keep her word. She could only think about how disappointed she would be. She had already used magic to attack Anubis but Tara hadn't said anything. Willow felt ashamed at using the dark arts once again and she hung her head as she walked. Why did things have to get so complicated for her?

A faint noise drifted to her ears and she paused, listening to the sound. The noise came again and her heart skipped a beat. It was the call of her lover, her voice raised in a frantic shout. Willow almost turned and ran back to Tara, right then but the fear that she would harm the blonde Wiccan kept her frozen on the spot. More voices joined that of her lover's and Willow decided it would be best if she kept moving. Buffy would surely find her if she kept in one place for too long. She knew Tara would find her eventually. They always found each other, but she hoped that would be when Willow had found a secure location. Maybe Tara would realise her plan and not go after her but she doubted that very much.

She started running through the foliage, the blood pumping around her body at a quickened pace. She couldn't hear her friends' calls anymore, which was a relief. The fear and panic evident in their voices was severely denting her resolve. A dull ache in her chest slowed her pace and she realised she must be feeling Tara's reaction to her disappearance. The pair had long ago found they were connected on a level they couldn't fully comprehend. Tara had always believed their souls touched and Willow wondered if this was the proof. She shook the thoughts from her mind. She couldn't be weak now, she had to be strong, for Tara, for her family.

Her breathing became heavy as she covered more and more ground. Her muscles began to ache and her chest tightened. She came to a stop and bent over, resting her hands on her knees. She cursed herself for not getting into better shape. A training session or two with Buffy would not have gone amiss. Of course, she would have been pummelled to near unconsciousness but at least she'd be able to run for more than ten minutes. She glanced behind her but saw no one, nor did she feel anyone closing in on her, which was good news. A part of her wanted to be found by Tara so she could sink into her arms and be persuaded to stay with them but her protective side was dominant here. She looked back to the direction in which she had been running, trying to see an exit to the woods. Endless rows of trees filled her view and she trudged forwards, refusing to run anymore.

"What if something took her?" Tara's panicked voice asked as she ran from one direction to the next, trying to catch a glimpse of her lover.

Buffy placed a hand on the blonde Wiccan's shoulder, effectively bringing her to a stop. "We'll find her, Tara." She assured yet she was starting to doubt her own words.

There hadn't been any sign of struggle, though the car door had been left wide open. It was possible Anubis had returned and taken Willow. If that were the case, they were in serious trouble. Buffy examined the ground as she walked. If something had taken her, there would be tracks. She glanced behind her and saw Xander and Dawn running in opposite directions around the house, whilst Tara leaned against Xander's car, her arms wrapped around herself, and shook. It was obvious she was scared for her lover.

The Slayer came to a halt by the tree that had been torn from the ground. She looked to the woods, something catching her eye. She leapt over the tree trunk and ran to the edge of the woods, kneeling down to inspect the ground there. The foliage was disturbed but not a lot. Her brow furrowed.

"What is it?" Came Tara's voice and Buffy turned to see her slowly approaching, having regained her composure.

Buffy stood. "Someone came through here." She motioned to the woods.

"Someone?" She noticed the Slayer's use of words.

Buffy nodded. "The tracks aren't big enough to be a demon, a human went in there. Alone."

Tara paled at the explanation. "But why would she just walk off like that?"

The Slayer shook her head but she suspected that Willow wasn't as much the innocent woman Tara thought her to be. She was once again consumed by the dark magics, that had to affect the hacker's mentality. Buffy glanced back at the house.

"Tell Xander and Dawn. I'm going to go after her." With that, she hurried into the woods, disappearing from sight quickly.

She worked her way through the trees swiftly and hoped she was heading in the right direction. Sometimes she wished her Slayer senses included smell, it would be a lot easier to track humans and demons. Especially since so many of them smelt so badly. She slowed her run to a jog and surveyed her surroundings more closely. The woods seemed to stretch on endlessly and she expected it would be easy to lose someone within them.

Finally, she came across a clearing where the sun bathed a patch of lush grass. Several bushes and shrubs dotted the clearing in a myriad of bright colours and she noted it would be a wonderful spot to have a picnic. She walked cautiously into the clearing. It was also an ideal spot for an ambush. Her eyes darted back and forth, scanning for danger but she didn't see any. She examined the ground but didn't see any tracks. It was clear Willow hadn't come through here.

"You're following me." Came the familiar voice of her best friend. It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

Buffy spun around to see Willow leaning back against a tree, her arms folded across her chest. The sight of her darkened best friend always sent a chill up her spine. "You just left… We were worried."

"Just leave me alone, Buffy." Willow's face remained expressionless as she spoke.

"I can't." The Slayer stated simply. She eyed Willow suspiciously, watching for any sign that she would attack.

The dark haired woman pushed herself off the tree, her arms falling to her sides. She began to walk towards Buffy, causing her to tense. Buffy was determined to be ready if it came down to her fighting her best friend. She had done it before but she really hoped she could avoid a confrontation. She held her breath as Willow closed the distance between them and, then, subsequently walked straight past her. She released the breath with relief and turned to watch her best friend walk away silently.

"Where are you going?" She asked, not making a move just yet.

"Away." Came the fleeting answer.

Buffy began to follow her. "Why?"

Willow turned around, an expression of annoyance on her face. "Just leave me alone. Please."

Buffy jogged to catch up with her friend and placed a hand on her upper arm. "What about Tara? You want her to leave you alone too?" Her voice hardened as she thought about the distress of the blonde witch.

Willow pushed the Slayer away, a mixture of emotions flooding her features. It cut her to the core to hear Tara's name just then. She was already feeling guilty about leaving everyone but she was also deeply ashamed of what she had become once again. Now she was getting angry at Buffy's persistence. Didn't she understand?

Buffy stumbled back a little but moved forwards once again to grab Willow. "I can't let you just go, Will. It's too dangerous."

Willow batted her hand away once again, her eyes narrowing. Why couldn't Buffy understand it was she who was dangerous? It wouldn't be so bad if something happened to her, then the Scooby Gang would be safe from her. She turned to walk away once again but felt strong arms around her, pulling her backwards. She let out a protestant cry and struggled against Buffy. Unfortunately for her, the Slayer strength kept her in place. She kicked out behind her, catching Buffy in the shin. The Slayer's grip loosened and Willow stumbled forwards. She knew Buffy was getting angry, she could tell from the dangerous glint in her best friend's eyes but this was for her own safety.

Buffy's shin stung and she cursed, looking up at Willow. It seemed as though she was a threat after all. She couldn't let the dark haired woman go, it was possible she would get hurt or harm someone else. If either happened, she wouldn't be able to live with herself and she was sure Tara wouldn't forgive her. She had to stop Willow, and she had to stop her now. She lurched forwards, intending on grabbing Willow around the waist but the hacker had predicted the move and sidestepped her. Buffy expected her to retaliate whilst she was caught off guard but Willow didn't. Instead, she ran. Buffy chased her and reached her before she got to the edge of the clearing. She leapt and tumbled into her friend, taking them both to the ground. A strangled sound escaped Willow's throat as she landed on her stomach and Buffy guessed she had been winded.

"That's enough!" The voice rung through the woods like a gunshot at night, causing Buffy to freeze. She looked up to see Tara standing with a horrified expression covering her features. She looked as though she might start crying at any moment.

Tara strode forwards and hovered above them, moisture collecting at the corners of her eyes. She stared down at Buffy, her expression telling her to remove herself from covering Willow. Buffy decided to comply, the look in those blue eyes chilling her. She lifted herself to her feet but Willow didn't shift. Tara knelt down and ran a palm over the ruffled black hair.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" Her voice was soft, soothing, and Buffy felt immediately guilty for being so forceful with Willow.

The dark haired Wiccan shifted slightly, pushing herself up onto her knees but continuing to stare down at the ground. She wrapped her arms around her stomach. "Please, Tara, just walk away." Her voice was coarse but full of sadness.

Tara looked confused. "But why?"

Buffy moved around to the other side of Willow, blocking off her route of escape. She could hear her best friend's short sharp breaths. "I'm not safe to be around." Willow muttered.

"Yes you are. I know you would never harm me, any of us." Tara soothed.

Willow's head snapped to the left so her green eyes pierced Tara's blue. A frown pulled at her lips. "That isn't exactly true is it?" When she saw the questioning look on Tara's face, she continued. "I've hurt my friends before and I've hurt you, in the worst possible way. When we argued and I took your memories, I harmed you. What makes you think I wont do it again?" Her tone wasn't threatening but pleading.

Tara lowered her gaze at the mention of what Willow had done to her. She had forgiven Willow for her actions but it hurt her to see that Willow hadn't forgiven herself. She lifted a hand to cup her lover's cheek but Willow flinched away. "I know you, Will. You'd die before you'd let that happen again."

Willow nodded, this time allowing Tara to caress her skin. "Then you can understand why I have to go away?"

"I understand but I'm not going to let you." Tara stated softly, her eyes showing her affection.

Willow took a hold of the hand that cupped her cheek and squeezed gently. "Baby, it'd kill me if I did anything to hurt you, any of you." She glanced over at Buffy.

Tara sighed and leaned forward, placing a soft kiss against the smooth skin of Willow's forehead. "And it would kill me to be made to stay away from you."

Those words broke Willow's resolve and as soon as she saw Buffy nod, she sunk into Tara's arms and clutched tightly to her. She began to doubt why she had even thought that running away was the best answer. She was nothing without Tara. The blonde witch gave her strength.

"Come on, Will. Let's get you back and then we can all get out of here. Together." Buffy said, placing a reassuring hand on Willow's shoulder.

END OF CHAPTER 7

Post subject: Re: Chapter 7
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:26 pm 
Great update! Willow has so much to face and forgive herself for. There's just so much baggage she's carrying around with her. Poor thing.

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:23 pm 
Wonderful update!! I'm glad Buffy went after Will and then Tara! And Tara sayin all those things to Will which I think Will needed to hear! Can't wait 4 more! :)

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.
Tara: I said quirky.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:18 am 
It would appear that the darkness hasn't consumed Willow like it did after Tara's death. Its almost like she's detached. Although she is concerned for Tara and the others, her ramble through the forest - the almost clinical interest in the effects of the magic - show this disassocation. Again I wonder about the prophecy - Willow is obviously not dark enough, for Anubis had to feed her the magic.

And of course Buffy presumes that Willow has become DMW again, despite Tara's conviction that she hasn't. She's so narrow-minded. Only her opinion seems to count. She should have tried to talk to Willow instead of grabbing her, then she would have realised that Willow wasn't a threat.

So glad that Tara followed Buffy. I think Tara's admission that she needed to be near Willow and that she knew Willow wouldn't hurt her reconnected Willow, anchored her. And I thought that was just lovely.

Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:51 am 
*jumps for joy* yay! Caz you're the best for adding a chapter! I really like the story a lot I'm such a sap for smut and romance mixed together huh? Well, see I am actually replying to the story since I read it and I could feel your death stare when I told you I never reply to stories I read *bows head in shame* but here I am just for you! *lifts head up and smiles* So here's the deal you keep updating and I'll keep replying deal? huh? huh? huh? come on pwease???? I need more Shadows of Life!! I'm very curious to know where this is going and I want to know, more smut? I need some more intimate lovin' of Tara and Willow and it doesn't have to be smut it could just be a deep conversation or one of those make-your-knees-go-weak looks between them, I'm liking the plot so liike I said earlier more more more!!!

Shelly

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:12 pm 
Alright Caz, you need to get movin' on some updates here girly-girl. I need some more story!!! *bows head* I know I haven't been around much and have tons of fic updates to read but *folds arms and taps foot impatiently* there isn't one here to read...so snap to it buddy! Hope to chat soon!

Shelly

Post subject: Chapter 8
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:11 pm 
Here's an update... at last. It's not very long and I wrote it in one go so please forgive the lack of quality. I'm under pressure by certain people to write more so it was a bit of a rush job. You know who you are. ;) Well, here ya go.

Chapter 8

Fear. Confusion. Anger. All these negative emotions raged within Willow as she watched the sun set slowly. The turmoil churned her stomach, causing wave after wave of nausea to pass through her. She wasn’t sure if it was only from those emotions or if the dark magic coursing through her veins was contributing to it also. She wondered if The Powers That Be believed she hadn’t suffered enough recently and was imbuing her with this darkness so she would realise she’d never be happy. In fact, she believed that. When she had lost Tara, she had thought she couldn’t go on. Life had seemed so meaningless without the blonde’s radiant smile, her expressive eyes, and her soothing voice. Then, she had returned to her. It had seemed like a dream yet it was tarnished by the fact her soul mate would very shortly be taken away again. And, then, this had happened to her. Dark magic had been forced upon her and she could do nothing to stop it. It seemed like fate. She was doomed to be the geek gone bad. The loser who would cause destruction and evil. Willow sighed. She didn’t feel evil.

Willow shifted her position on the sofa, her gaze still directed out the window. After she had been brought back to the manor house by Buffy and Tara, the group and set about collecting all their belongings. It seemed to be taking forever though and Willow wondered if they were going to get out of here in time. She was also trying to figure out how they were all going to fit into Xander’s car. Giles had taken his vehicle back to Sunnydale and that left a dilemma for the gang to solve. It was going to be one heck of a squeeze to get into the cramped Xandermobile.

Willow felt her eyelids become heavy and she fought against the urge to just lean her head back and let sleep claim her. It would have been so easy. Give in to the exhaustion and allow the evil to come and kill her. She shook the thought from her mind. She wouldn’t do that to Tara. She knew how painful it was to lose someone you love more than life itself, and there was no way she would expose Tara to that.

“You okay, sweetie?” Came the incredibly comforting voice of her lover.

Willow turned her head to see Tara leant against the doorframe to the living room, looking at her with a concerned expression. She looked so alluring at that moment and Willow had to refrain from jumping up and throwing her arms around the blonde. She didn’t want Tara to have to be near her when she was like this. She must look so repulsive.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She said simply, not wanting to make Tara worry.

As always though, the blonde could see straight through her words. She walked slowly towards Willow and perched herself on the arm of the sofa. She frowned as Willow shifted away from her. Her brow furrowed as she searched for the right words.

“Did I do something wrong?” She asked with uncertainty.

Willow shook her head slightly, unable to meet the blonde’s gaze. “No.”

Tara sighed and slipped down into the space beside Willow. She saw her lover tense but was glad when she didn’t move further away. “Then, tell me, what’s wrong?”

Willow finally turned to look into deep blue eyes. “Look at me.” She kept her voice level and calm. “Then ask me again.”

“It’s not your fault.” Tara almost whispered, reaching up to stroke the other woman’s cheek.

Willow pulled away. “Yes it is.” She said through clenched teeth, fighting the swell of magic she knew was building up inside of her. The temptation to use it was beginning to be too much for her to control. “I brought this upon myself.”

Tara shook her head, her eyes showing the refusal of her to believe that. “No, sweetie. That demon did this to you.”

Willow almost laughed. “I allowed myself to be taken my the magics before. What makes you think I didn’t do the same this time?” Her eyes narrowed with self-loathing.

Tara could feel tears begin to well up in her eyes. She hated to see her love like this. “Because I know you, Will. You wouldn’t do that.”

Willow faltered in her anger. Seeing Tara hurting like this almost made her crumble but the hatred she harboured for herself was winning. “You knew me. I’m not that Willow any more. I’m bad, Tara. I’m the magic personified. I could hurt you, any of you. You shouldn’t be around me.”

“We talked about this. I thought you agreed that running away wouldn’t help.” Tara insisted.

“I know but it’s too much. The pull is too strong. I don’t think I can fight it anymore.” Willow’s voice was desperate and the fear was evident in it.

A tear rolled down Tara’s cheek. “If you aren’t the Willow I know then would you allow me to do this…” She leaned forwards, allowing Willow to pull away if she wished.

Willow’s forgot how to breathe for a moment as she watched Tara draw closer. Blue never left green as their faces neared and Willow could feel a myriad of emotions and doubts wash over her. She wanted to pull away but a large part of her didn’t also. She wondered if Tara was right, if she would be having these feelings if she weren’t herself. It was all too confusing but she found rational thought had left her as she felt the familiar softness of Tara’s lips on her own. The fullness of them seemed to complete Willow, it made all her troubles fade to the background. All that mattered now was Tara.

Tara felt Willow sigh into the gentle, comforting kiss. Willow’s entire body relaxed and leaned into Tara’s. She had been right, her Willow was still in there, and as each moment passed, she could feel her coming back to her. She reluctantly pulled away and smiled as she took in the sight of her lover. Her hair had returned to it’s usual vibrant shade of red and her skin was a perfect as it had ever been.

“Wow, that was some kiss.” Willow breathed, her eyes full of adoration.

One corner of Tara’s mouth tilted upwards in her trademark half smile. “What do you say we get out of here.” She placed her hand over one of Willow’s and squeezed gently.

Willow nodded. She wanted to apologise again but knew her lover would have none of it. She just hoped she could keep the black magics under control. The only thing that seemed to keep her calm was the presence of Tara. A strand of red hair flopped down into her face and she smiled with relief. She stood with Tara and allowed herself to be led from the room.

Anya paced back and forth in the Summers home, her patience wearing thin. Giles had spent most of his time researching and she had grown bored of that ages ago. The Englishman hadn’t even made any progress and she was beginning to think she would be better off facing hordes of Anubis’ minions. She wondered if it would have been more advantageous to strike up a deal with Anubis. After all, she was a demon and they all should stick together. Then again, he did have an atrocious taste in minions and Anya wouldn’t have been able to stand the stench of his lair for long.

It was better this way. Even though it was incredibly boring. She turned to face Giles, who had his head buried in a large tome. She sighed audibly and he peered over the top of his book. She smiled sweetly and he continued to look expectantly at her.

“You know, I think I hear a tortured woman thirsting for vengeance. I’m just gonna pop out for a few minutes. I’ll be back before the world is consumed by darkness, okay?” She didn’t wait for his answer though and quickly blinked out of the house and to her next customer.

Giles stared blankly at the spot where Anya had just been standing. “Strange woman.” He muttered before turning back to his books.

He had gone through many volumes and had not found anything that would help them with Anubis. There were a few references to the myths of ancient Egypt but nothing that would give them the upper hand in their fight against him. Also, he hadn’t found anything further on the prophecy Thot had told them about. It was extremely frustrating.

He put down the book he had been reading and sighed. There hadn’t been a call from Buffy either and he was fearful that something had happened to them. He had considered asking Anya to check up on them again but he doubted that she would have been so co-operative this time.

“I hope they’re okay.” He whispered to himself.

Buffy shut the door to the passenger side of the car and looked over her shoulder at the three women in the back. The now normal looking Willow was snuggled against Tara who sat in the centre back seat. Dawn was squeezed in next to them on the right. Tara smiled at Buffy whilst idly stroking her lover’s flamey hair. Buffy turned back around to face the front and rested her head against the back of her seat.

“Let’s get out of here, Xander.” She said and watched as her nodded.

He started the car’s engine and put it into drive. Soon, they were speeding away from the supposed safe haven. Buffy watched the scenery flash past her and hoped they would get into town before the night fully set in. They had all agreed on returning to Sunnydale. They decided it would be the one place Anubis wouldn’t expect them to be and, as Willow had said, they were tired of running. Buffy remembered when the group had fled from Glory. That had ended in disaster and she was damn sure she wouldn’t let that happen again.

“What are we going to do when we get back?” Dawn asked.

Buffy turned around in her seat once more. “We need to find Giles and Anya. Make sure they’re all right.” She paused for a moment. “Then, I guess, we should hunt down Anubis and kick his ass.”

“Gee, you make it sound easy.” Xander commented.

Buffy turned to him and scowled. “I’m not letting him get away with what he did to Willow.” She looked back to the rear of the car.

Tara smiled at the Slayer and mouthed ‘thank you’. Willow had closed her eyes and seemed relatively peaceful resting against her lover’s shoulder. Buffy wished that one day she would find someone who would look after her like Willow and Tara looked after one another. Then she thought with sadness that Tara wouldn’t be in their lives for long. As soon as the prophecy was fulfilled, she would be taken from them. From Willow. Was there a way around it? She couldn’t think of any way but she had to hold on to that hope. After all, it was mainly hope that had gotten them through many tough situations. She had to have hope, not only for herself, but for all of them.

She faced forwards again, letting her mind wander as she gazed out the window. Happiness seemed like such a hard thing to come by these days. Ever since Tara’s death, the group had spiralled downwards into the depths of depression. Tara’s funeral had been one of the hardest things any of them had had to attend, especially Willow. The appearance of the blonde’s family had made it even worse. The miraculous return of Tara had seemed too good to be true, and that had turned out to be true. Now, all of them were being hunted by an almost unknown enemy. She wondered if things could get any worse.

As if in answer, she felt the car swerve to the opposite side of the road and screech to a halt. She gasped as she was slung into the passenger side door. “What the hell!”

“There was someone in the road.” Xander explained, his breathing ragged from shock.

All heads turned to the rear mirror, except from Buffy’s. She pushed open the car door and slid out. She looked behind the car and saw that Xander had been right. In the road stood a tall, thin man with his back turned. His clothes seemed old and Buffy instinctually knew what he was. She ducked back into the car and retrieved a stake from the glove compartment. When she looked back down the road, the figure was gone.

“Where’d he go?” She looked around frantically.

Xander joined her on the outside of the vehicle. “I don’t know, he just disappeared.”

Dawn moved to open the car door but Buffy slammed it again. “Stay in the car!” The Slayer ordered. “It’s not safe.” She saw the teenager roll her eyes but her sister didn’t disobey her.

Xander’s voice caught her attention and she spun in his direction. “Buffy! Look out!” His gaze was aimed behind her.

END OF CHAPTER 8

Post subject: Re: Chapter 8
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:57 am 
Willow's reasoning for not giving in and just letting Anubis take her that she wouldn't put Tara through the grief, that was really touching. The poor love. Loved Tara's method of convincing Willow that she was still her Willow!

Anya using the very feeble excuse that she didn't strike a deal with him for she didn't approve of Anubis' minions. Methinks she's trying to convince herself there.

Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 9:50 pm 
Caz,

Correct me if I'm wrong today is 12/4/02??? Well this causes me pain for many reasons--one of which is your last update of this fine fic of yours was updated on 9/15 can you comprehend how long ago that was?! That's two months and 19 days missy! That is outrageous!! You know I'm just teasing your fics are just wonderful and I wish you would update soon. I know you have a lot going on in your life but you admitted you've been working on fic as well as school work so...more here anytime soon? Please don't break my heart?? Talk to you soon!

Shelly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 3:52 am 
Alright Shelly, I will try and work on this fic over the weekend as I have my trusty laptop with me. :) Just for you, hon. ;) I'm not sure how long the update will be but I'll try and make it a reasonable length. Have you seen my new fic that I posted? Check that one out if you require a fix. :p

Caz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:20 am 
Just caught this fic..I love it!! :)

I love how you are portraying what both Willow and Tara feel because of what's happened to Willow. It's very sad, but moving. It just makes me want to know what's going to happen and...our girls get a happily ever after, right?

*grins* :pray

Great fic. Keep up the great work!!

~NICK~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:17 pm 
Hey, Centuri, are you going to finish this fic? It is very good! I just read all of it in two days!

VmpIrslAr out.

"she's my everything."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:27 am 
Yep, vmpIrslAr, I'll be continuing with this fic very shortly. I just got my internet connection back so that's a huge relief! Look out for more soon.

Caz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:25 am 
WOW, nobody had been to this post in a while.

I really hope you finish this story. I was at your website a couple of weeks ago shocked that this saga isnt finished. :pray

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:59 am 
Great story...I wish you'll go on.

:applause :applause :applause :applause

I can take care of her...even if she never...she's my girl.

Post subject: Re: New Fic: Shadows of Life
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 am 
1. Blessed Wannabe

I believe I'd written more to this some time ago, now I just have to go find it. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:23 am 
19. Yummy Face

Good story... I hope you find the rest of the story...

Posting While Nude Improves Your Mood.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:15 pm 
5. Willowhand

good story

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:56 pm 
10. Troll Hammer

Topics: 1
Someone tell me why I never noticed this story before....well, actually the reason is I was livng at the mission in Decmeber '02 and didn't find a computer that would access the Kitten til a mo. later and when you're homeless you don't think about following amulti-chapter fic.

Seriously, looks like I've been seriously missing out; I'll have to cover this thoroughly when I get the chance, just skimming this afternoon, but seems quite a tear-jerker.

Quibble; it wouldn't likely be a minister officiating at the funeral or the commital., but, no real problems beyond that.

Sue: We don't talk about things like that right after, you know that, no saying those things in The Moment.
Kim: (moves the hand aside) Screw The Moment. I *love* you.