The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Fic: Tears in Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:37 pm 
Title: Tears in Heaven

Author: Gem

Spoilers: All of season 6

Feedback: I’m a junkie. I won’t be able to sleep at night unless I have at least one reply.

Rating: This part, just PG-13. Probably less actually, but I have a reputation to uphold.

Disclaimers: Aren’t mine – if they were ‘Grave’ would never have been thought of, let alone filmed and aired! I’m not earning any money from them either. The song is Eric Clapton’s ‘Tears in Heaven’.

Synopsis: Leads from the events of ‘Grave’ to where our girls and very happy, very loved and very very alive.

Part 1 – Being Rational

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?

Would you be the same if I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong and carry on

‘Cause I know I don’t belong

Here in heaven

Would you hold my hand if I saw you in heaven?

Would you help me stand if I saw you in heaven?

I’ll find my way through night and day

‘Cause I know I just can’t stay

Here in heaven

Time can bring you down time can bend your knees

Time can break the heart have you begging please

Begging please

Beyond the door

There’s peace, I’m sure

And I know there’ll be no more

Tears in heaven

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?

Would you be the same if I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong and carry on

‘Cause I know I don’t belong

Here in heaven

Wearily, Buffy moved down the stairs to the kitchen, glancing over her shoulder occasionally. Dawn’s soothing tones followed her, and despite her exhaustion, Buffy managed a faint smile. The one good thing about the hell of the past two months was that Dawn was finally maturing – was thinking about someone other than herself. Namely, Willow.

Even as she thought it, Buffy felt guilty for finding anything good out of Tara’s death and the change of events that it had caused in all of their lives. Then she felt guilty for not seeing the light in the darkness – the way Tara had. Buffy had been feeling the day that Tara had been hit by that bullet. The bullet that was meant for her.

Moving into the untidy kitchen, Buffy glanced around the room, realising that she really needed to spring clean sometime soon. The phone was on the wall behind her, and she purposely turned her back on it, wiping down the kitchen counter with a clean cloth. The phone was still there, bright and noticeable – and what had possessed her to buy a red phone, anyway?

“Buffy.” Dawn poked her head around the door, then noticed her bag on the counter and entered the room fully to retrieve it. Her sister showed no signs of having heard her. “Buffy!”

Shaken, Buffy spun round, moving automatically into a fighting stance. The action worried Dawn. Her sister’s un-Slayerish action proved just how tired they had all been lately. “I’m supposed to be doing a science project with Janice,” Dawn said, anticipating Buffy’s question. “Is it okay if I stay the night?”

Buffy nodded, forcing herself to smile as she moved forward and kissed Dawn on the forehead, pushing a lock of long brown hair behind her sister’s ear. Wriggling, Dawn pulled out of her grasp, pulling a face. “Willow’s asleep.” She turned to leave the kitchen, but at the last moment, she turned to face Buffy, and nodded towards the phone. “Please, Buffy. Just – just call him.” She hurried quickly out of the kitchen and the house, grateful to escape the bonds of maturity and responsibility once more.

The Slayer stood still in the kitchen for several more minutes before returning to her task of wiping the counter. She was the Slayer – the warrior of the people, Giles said. She had averted more apocalypses than any other Slayer on record, and she had come back to life twice. What good were all the enhanced senses and physical powers if she couldn’t get her best friend out of the shell of solitude and depression that she had withdrawn into?

Buffy turned around and picked up the phone.

Willow whimpered at the pain in her stomach, and curled up into a ball, a light sheen of sweat breaking out on her upper lip. The room was dancing around her, the colours blending into each other. Buffy worried when she couldn’t see right, but she didn’t mind. It was pretty. All those greens, and pinks, and yellows.

Tara’s hair was yellow.

No, it isn’t, Willow scolded herself. Tara’s hair is blonde, not yellow. Buffy’s hair is yellow, and Anya’s hair is yellow, but Tara’s hair is blonde.

Where’s Tara?

“Where’s Tara?” The words escaped Willow through dry, cracked lips before she even realised she’d said them. She knew where Tara was. Tara was dead, she was in the ground. Buffy had been dead, but she’d come back.

Why hadn’t Tara come back?

Reluctantly, she dragged herself from the last vestiges of sleep, wiping her eyes with one hand. That last dream had been the same as all the others – Tara happy, Tara laughing, Tara smiling. Tara dead. Willow forced herself to sit up in bed, leaning back on both hands as the room spun once more. “No more self pity,” the redhead told herself firmly. She’d learnt early on that the worst times came when she felt most sorry for herself.

Even as she crawled out of bed and slowly moved towards the dresser, Willow knew that she was slipping into rational mode, the way she always did when she and Giles were researching.

Where’s Giles?

Buffy liked it when Willow was sensible, when she helped make dinner. Buffy couldn’t cook, but Tara had taught Willow. Dawn liked it when Willow was the way that she used to be, and she helped her with her homework, just how she had always done before Tara’s death, in the summer. Those had been good times – just the three of them. Willow had been sad, because she thought Buffy was hurting. Buffy was hurting more now, though, and Buffy returning had caused Tara’s death. She shouldn’t have brought her back. Xander liked it when Willow was sane, and she talked to him about the old days, about Jesse, when the mean kid on the next block, or Cordelia, was the worst thing in the world. When they thought all guns were plastic and bright orange and had Action Man stickers on the side of them. Anya liked it when Willow was happy, and she helped her in the shop like Tara used to.

Willow hated it when she was rational, and Tara wasn’t there.

Carefully, slowly, Willow got dressed into jeans and a t-shirt. She was sensible old Willow now, completely sane, and there was nothing she could do about it, so she might as well help Buffy. Her stomach hurt, but that was because she’d been vomiting all morning. It would pass eventually.

Buffy paced the length of the kitchen as she waited for Giles to pick up the phone. “C’mon, Giles, dammit,” she muttered under her breath. “Pick up the damn phone, would’ya?”

“Hello?”

“Hey, Giles.”

Through thousands of miles of bad phone communications, Buffy could still tell that he was thrilled to hear her. He’d been complaining on the phone the other day that England was totally different to how it had been during his childhood. “Buffy.” His voice was warm, and welcoming, and it made Buffy’s day just that much more bearable.

“Listen, I don’t have time to really talk now Giles, and I’m sorry, but - how would you like a visitor?”

Startled, Giles, standing in the hallway of his appartment – the one thing he really missed about America were the cordless phones – took off his glasses and dangled them in one hand, the way he always did when he was thinking. “Buffy, I would love to see you, but don’t you have – well, responsibilities?”

“Yes, Giles, I’m all with the responsible-ness. I didn’t mean me. I meant Will.” Buffy hesitated, realising that she might not have thought this through properly. “Uh - you’re not still mad at her, are you?”

“Are you?”

“No,” Buffy replied firmly. “I didn’t take it so brilliantly when Angel died, and he wasn’t the love of my life. Willow had every right – well, maybe not, but I’m not angry at her any more for what she did.”

“In that case, I would call it rather unjust if I were to retain any grudges, considering that you have been supporting her through this current crisis and I haven’t, wouldn’t you, Buffy?”

Buffy blinked. The problem with talking on the phone to Giles was that Willow wasn’t there to translate his English-speak. “Was that a no?”

“No, I am no longer angry at Willow for her actions. And she is perfectly welcome to come and stay with me. I could use someone other than my co-workers to talk to – I had no idea how devoted I had become to America and her inhabitants.”

He could tell she was smiling. “Is that your way of telling me you miss me?”

“Naturally.”

“You’re shipping her off to England?” Xander asked, shocked. “Just – sending her on a plane to the guy that she tried to kill? You know, Buff, you’ve come up with some pretty terrible ideas in the past, but this really takes the biscuit.”

“What does that mean, anyway?” Dawn wondered aloud. “I mean, taking the biscuit. Does that mean that biscuits aren’t a good thing? I like biscuits.” Xander rolled his eyes.

“I have no idea, Dawn. Ask Will, she’ll know. Oh, no, sorry – she’s halfway across the world!”

“We’ve explained this to you, Xander,” Buffy was pacing across the living room, resembling something close to a caged tiger. She was also looking at Xander as though he was dinner. “We’re not helping Willow. She needs help, and she needs to get away for a while. Staying in the room that Tara was killed in probably isn’t doing much good either. She always thought of Giles as a father, considering her own weren’t any good. So, please, Xander, just listen. This is what I have to do.”

Dawn looked up from where she was picking at a stray thread on the couch. “She’s not going to get better, Buffy, she isn’t. Just like if you hadn’t come back, I never would have been the same. Willow loved Tara too much for her to move on and be the same Willow that she always was.”

Buffy looked sharply at her younger sister, once more realising how much Dawn had actually changed since Tara’s death. She was well aware that Tara, once she had died, had replaced Joyce and later Buffy as ‘mommy’ of the house. Willow had taken on the big sister role, but even once Buffy had returned, Tara had continued to mother the youngest Summers, talking to her about her day, making dinner. Anger and hatred rose up inside the Slayer as she became, for the first time, truly aware of all that they had all suffered, and it made her even more determined to send Willow to England. Tara was dead and Willow would never be the same again – but she’d be damned if she let her condition worsen.

“Y’know,” Anya mused, glancing up from where she was sitting cross-legged on the floor beside Xander – the Summers women had quickly claimed the couch, protesting that it was their house, “Willow’s so gone in the head,” she made twirling motions in the air with her finger to demonstrate her point, “that we could probably just build her a Tara sexbot and she’d be perfectly happy in her own crazy little Willow Whacky World.”

Xander stared at her, shocked that his ex-girlfriend had once more managed to defy every rule of tact and consideration, when Dawn started to giggle at the thought of Tara acting like the Buffybot. Buffy joined in, albeit reluctantly, and soon the four solemn remaining Scoobies – Dawn insisted that she had been officially initiated – were rolling around on the floor of Buffy’s living room.

Gasping and red-faced, Xander was the first to regain his composure. Anya recovered as well, wiping away tears as a look of puzzlement crossed her face. “That wasn’t supposed to be funny,” she complained. “In fact, it was plain depressing. Why were we laughing?”

“Because we needed to,” Xander answered simply, putting his arm around her. Buffy’s eyes widened, and he suddenly realised what he’d done and leaped back, falling over the coffee table in his haste. “Uh, sorry, I didn’t mean to. I mean, I have to – uh – bye!” he stammered, backing hastily out of the door. Dawn and Buffy stared after him, as Anya looked down at the floor in much the same way that Willow had after Tara protected her from Anya’s accusations at Buffy’s birthday party.

“Well, that was awkward,” she announced after a moment, but her words lacked their usual spirit as Buffy and Dawn nodded their heads in agreement.

Edited by: xita  at: 10/14/02 2:30:08 pm

Post subject: Re: Fic: Moving Onwards and Upwards
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:56 pm 
here's your reply, i hope you can sleep now:) and i like this a lot. gilesspeak, :lol way to go.

”What do you think I am, a skeleton thief? You want to search me?!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 3:30 pm 
Here's mine...

Impressive...I think you got the characterisations spot on,and the little touches of description - the where,the when and the what - added to the whole...

Overall,very good,and I look forward to reading the continuations...

fiat justitia,ruat caelum

Edited by: Lucy Moore at: 6/12/02 3:33:24 pm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:13 pm 
Heres another reply...

I liked the way you have started this fiction, good characterisation. Am looking forward to seeing where you will be taking this story.

Hope you will be able to sleep now :)

"I am a whiz...If ever a whiz there was"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 4:47 pm 
Here's another reply for you. The more replies, the better the sleep you get, the better the sleep you get, another update!! Yeay :bounce :bounce

Great start to this fic, im very curious to where its going so ill be a regular visitor. yeay!!!

Love and hugs

Lolaxxx :love

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:01 am 
Interested to see how you're going to accomplish what we all want - getting our girls back together again.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:18 am 
very good start. I'm impressed. Hope you will update soon!

Oh baby, want me to rub your tummy? She likes it when I ... stop explaining things.

Hi, um Tara..how are you? well...I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time...for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:02 am 
Thanks for the replies, Loco2, Lucy, TheWhiz, Lola19, mollyig and snuggle79! I know it seems as though bringing them back together is impossible in this fic but I promise I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Okay, a lot. And yes, I did get a lot of sleep last night due to lots of replies, yay! Or at least I did until my stupid graphics exam interrupted.

As I can't bring them together just yet, the next update will be Tara and maybe a little Willow. It should be up later today or tomorrow at the latest.

Gem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:27 am 
Hey great start!! I love reading the fics that bring Tara back....can't wait for more. :)

--Michelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:36 am 
I liked this. Nice start :)

These five words in my head scream "are we having fun yet?"

Chad Kroeger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:34 am 
Ooops! I am well aware that I promised an update for yesterday at the latest. Unfortunately RL decided to rear it's ugly little head and I really have no idea when I'll be able to post the next part, considering my beta hasn't seen it yet! Also, I'd better say that I hated Part 1 and it's probably going to be edited/rewritten so if you do return for Part 2, you may want to read Part 1 again! Did that make sense? I think it did. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how Part 1 can be improved?

Gem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:54 am 
Another reply! Be happy and sleepfull lol

I really like the start of this story even though it is quite depressing. Dawn thinking of someone other than herself is quite impossible lol

Hope this story gets a little happier, maybe just a smidge. Awww poor Willow. Ok going now to huddle in a corner and cry, unti i get bored and decide to come back on here again and look for an update!

love + hugz

Alyson

xxxx

You cannot have more catnip! You have a catnip problem!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:14 pm 
Yeah I know it's a little depressing at the moment, I'm aiming for some laughs next update. Which might be a while as it's a Tara update and she won't behave. Oops, that sounded a little - how shall I put it - in the gutter. It wasn't meant to be, honestly. She's just being VERY difficult and wants to return to Willow. Unfortunately, she doesn't understand that I need to explain how that is possible first!

Gem

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 2:08 pm 
very nice start... the contrast of Willow is nicely played out for the reader... and the interaction between Buffy and Giles very natural...

bravo

"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine."

Post subject: Update: Part 2 - Realisation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:48 am 
Thanks everyone for the comments, it was really nice to see that people are reading and enjoying this fic. And finally, the awaited for not-so-eagerly, Part 2. I'm sorry that it is a little angst-filled, but to quote Tara "There's so much to work through."

Part 2 – Realisation

The mists swirled around Tara, enveloping her in a cold, harsh frame. Struggling to free herself from the tightening tendrils of darkness, Tara faintly heard Willow’s voice calling her name, a panicking, terrified tone to it. The only time that she had ever heard Willow sound that scared was during a nightmare that she’d had after Buffy died. Tara had held her in her arms, soothing her, stroking the fiery red hair and listening the beating of her lover’s heart. They’d stayed in that position for a long time, neither moving or speaking, just seeking comfort in each other’s company and the fact that they were both alive and safe.

Straining to free herself from the darkness that seemed to surround her, Tara once more sought the strength and hope that Willow’s love gave her, and for a moment the fiery pain surrounding her eased. Then tiredness overwhelmed her once more and agonies of pain hit her everywhere, her head, her limbs, but mostly her heart as she was torn away from Willow.

Tara screamed, dry sobs shaking her frame as exhaustion, sorrow, loss and horror hit her all at once. The pain had eased up a little, she noticed, but the feeling of being torn away from all that she loved was unbearable. Willow, Dawnie, Buffy, Anya, Giles, Xander, even Spike, she needed them all, and they needed her.

It didn’t matter what that person did in the Scooby Gang, Tara thought with stunning realisation. They were all part of it, like each person was a cog in a well-oiled machine, and if a cog went missing, the machine might still work but the products made in the end were completely different. She would be missed when she died as much as Buffy was.

Because she was dying – or dead -, Tara was sure of that. She was leaving this life to go on to the next one, and she was scared.

The pain had completely dissipated now, and Tara closed her eyes as the pure blackness was replaced by a pure, sweet, blinding light, not unlike the ‘Big ball o’ sunshine’ that she and Willow had finally managed to conjure. After three attempts, one ending with a troll, another with a broken window and the final one succeeding but ending in a hurry as they realised Spike was present. “Willow,” Tara whimpered. She needed to find Willow.

“Willow is not here, Tara.”

She hadn’t seen the mists moving, twisting and turning to form the body of a person whom she had known very well in life, a person whose death she had never stopped mourning.

“Hello?” Tara whispered, her voice cracking and shaking as she realised who stood before her. “Mama?”

Willow slowly made her way down the stairs, gripping the handrail tightly should she lose her balance. Buffy and Dawn were talking in the kitchen, she could see Dawn’s hair flying out in all directions as she shook her head empathetically. Tara had always loved Dawn’s hair, it was the same beautiful brown that hers had been until she coloured it, and Tara had always regretted that decision.

“No, no, no!” Dawn was exclaiming. “He wouldn’t be, Buffy, he said that he – hey! Hi, Willow.”

Buffy glanced up and smiled. “Hey, Will. Feeling better?” Buffy was referring to a slight incident that morning when Willow had lost her balance and landed very firmly on her bottom whilst trying to get her pants on. Buffy had laughed along with a slightly confused Willow, but really the accident had made her realise that Giles was the best person to help Willow. What had happened when the girl who aced every test ever invented couldn’t get her pants on?

Willow nodded her head in affirmation. “Uh – Will, actually, we need to talk.”

“That sounds ominous,” Willow said, her eyes widening. “I swear Buffy, I took my meds. I promise.”

“I know you did, Will,” Buffy reassured her instantly. “Let’s go into the lounge, okay? It’s comfier in there.” Willow nodded again, turning and walking into the lounge as Buffy followed her. Dawn stopped at the door, leaning on the doorframe as her guardian and closest friend sat on the couch, Willow perched carefully on the very edge. Buffy turned to look at Willow, taking her friends cold hands into hers as she noticed her twisting them nervously. “It’s about Giles, and you.”

“Is he mad?” Willow asked fearfully, her green eyes huge in her face. “Did I do something wrong?”

Dawn cut in sharply. “No, Willow, you didn’t do anything wrong. I promise. It’s just that we think that you should go and stay in England with Giles for a while.” As usual, Dawn’s lack of tact brought the conversation to the issues concerned. If it had been anything else, talking to anyone else, Buffy would have been furious. In this case, she was just relieved that it was out in the open and they could find out Willow’s reaction to being ‘shipped off’, as Xander had put it bitterly when they broached the subject to him.

“I – you want me to go?” the redhead realised. “What did I do?” Buffy closed her eyes, fighting back tears. All of the insecurities that Willow had suffered as a teenager which had been reduced greatly with the entrance of Tara into their lives, seemed to have surfaced again, and she hated seeing the lack of faith that her best friend had in herself.

“No! Oh, god, no. I don’t want you to go, Willow, you’re my best friend. I’m gonna miss you so much. It’s just…,” Buffy searched her mind for the right words, frustrated at her inability to express her thoughts. “We’re not helping you, Will. Being here isn’t helping you, and we want you to get better. Giles can help you, we know that. We just want our happy, hack-ery, babbling Willow back. I need you to be well again, and I’m gonna do whatever it takes to help you. Even if it does mean you have to go away for a while.”

“Do I have to?” Willow asked pitifully, looking pleadingly at Buffy. Dawn slipped quietly out of the room and up the stairs as she realised that her sister and best friend needed to talk this out alone.

Buffy gasped. “Oh, no, honey,” she told her, moving to sit on the coffee table in front of the redhead. “You don’t have to do anything you want to, not ever. But you want to see Giles, don’t you? He’s not mad, Will. He’s forgiven you like we all have, and he wants to see you. So yes, you do need to go, but we’re not going to force you. If you don’t want to see Giles, then we won’t make you. It’s your decision, Willow.”

Willow swallowed hard, a thousand memories rushing through her. The strongest memory was of him leaving the first time, and that had hurt so much. His job was done once Buffy was dead, she’d told Xander bitterly. The other two people that he’d known every bit as long as Buffy? It wasn’t his job to stay and look after them, so he was going to go, love and friendship be damned. Then he’d called her a rank, arrogant amateur, and that had really put a damper on any affection she still had for him. But he loved her. He’d said so. Willow nodded.

“How?”

That was all Tara could manage at the moment, but her heart soared as she watched the woman that she’d always adored walk towards her. She remembered her holding her gently in her arms after a particularly brutal beating from her father, watching her mother perform healing spells that she would later teach Willow. Her mother looked exactly the same as she had before the cancer – brown hair shining in the light, blue eyes dancing with the same happiness that Tara’s held. Suddenly she was in her arms, sobbing with happiness, letting all of her emotions overtake her body until she finally slipped into a peaceful, dreamless sleep, as Delyth Maclay cradled her daughter in her arms as though she was still a young baby.

“I didn’t think you slept when you were dead.”

Her daughter’s words brought Delyth to her side where Tara lay, stretched out across the grassy meadows that she had practically grown up in. “You weren’t sleeping, Tare-bear,” she told her daughter fondly. “Your body needed to rest, and so it stopped working for a while. Most people stay like that, living only through their dreams as they think of those that they love, but I had no doubt that you would be called to the Elders.”

“I’ve heard of them,” Tara said, surprised. “I thought they were a myth. Aren’t they the Wiccan goddesses and gods?” Her mother nodded in affirmation, so Tara continued. "When a Wiccan dies, if they have spent their lives giving and loving, they are called to the Elders, either to be reincarnated or to become an Elder themselves.”

“You’ve continued with your studies, I see,” Delyth smiled. “The Elders also decide if a Wiccan is to be reincarnated or return to their original bodies if they have been called before their time.”

“Was I called before my time?” Tara asked, surprised. “I thought that when you were called, that was it. Your life was over.”

Her mother sniffed. “That’s a myth. People that go against their duty in life sometimes cause others, who have yet to achieve their goals, to be taken before your time. That’s what Warren did.”

Shocked, Tara turned to face her mother. “You know about Warren? Have you been watching me, then?”

“Since the day I died, sweetie,” Delyth told her fondly. “I watched you graduate high school, and I cried when you left home and made a life for yourself. Then you met Willow, and I knew right then that you’d achieved your most desired goal.”

Tara was silent. She’d always hoped that in a way, her mother had been watching over her. In another way, she’d prayed that she hadn’t been, that her mother hadn’t stood by and watched her father make her life a living hell. Pushing herself up on one elbow as she watched her mother lie down on the grass beside her, Tara asked her “Why didn’t you do anything? If you wanted to, you could have spoken to me, influenced my life, couldn’t you?” Tara searched her memory for information that she had read about the Elders, realising that in fact her mother had the power to return to earth and watch over her as another being – an animal, or a human body that had been taken before it’s time, unlike her mother’s own.

Delyth closed her eyes, wishing she’d heeded the warnings of the other Elders when they’d told her Tara would have many questions about why her childhood had been so unhappy, and why it had to be like that. “I wasn’t allowed to, Tara. Believe me. I wanted to, I wanted to so much. I begged every time he hurt you for them to let me go to you, but I couldn’t. I watched you from above the first time he hit you, the day of my funeral, and I had to let it happen.”

Tears started to roll down Tara’s porcelain cheeks as her mother described what had come to be the beginning of the worst three years she had ever experienced. “Why couldn’t you?” Tara firmly held up a hand as her mother began to repeat herself. “Just tell me why they wouldn’t let you.”

“Because it made you what you are, Tara,” her mother told her gently, pushing herself up on her hands and sitting cross-legged in her daughter’s trademark position. Tara followed her example, but flinched away as Delyth pushed a lock of blonde hair behind her ear, blue eyes accusing. “What your father did to you, Tara, was so wrong, and cruel and hurtful, and I hated the Elders the moment I became one and they told me what would happen to you in order for you to become the woman you are. It made you strong, it made you leave and go to Sunnydale. That was your duty.”

“My duty was to go to Sunnydale?” Tara asked doubtfully.

“Yes. Going to Sunnydale meant that you met Willow and there was so much you were supposed to do. I don’t know whether the Elders will allow you to return or not, but your duty is unfulfilled. There was so much more you were meant to be, Tara.”

Tara’s eyes widened. “Return? But – I don’t want to lose you again,” she whined, unwittingly using the words that she had used at the age of twelve when her mother had informed her of yet another operation.

“I can’t stay here, Tara,” Delyth said, gently, hating what she was about to say. “This is not the plain on which the Elders stay. I must return soon, this isn’t the work that I am supposed to do. They allowed me to accompany you on the journey here only because you need to be aware of what lies in store for you.”

“You’re not staying?” Tara demanded, leaping to her feet. Her eyes, earlier filled with tears, now flashed with anger. “I can’t be with you or Willow? Who can I be with?”

“You can be with your memories, Tara. And my love will always be here with you, as will Willow’s.” Even as she said it, Delyth knew it was a pitiful attempt at consoling her daughter, and the expression on Tara’s face showed that she agreed. She didn’t have a temper, but being torn away from the woman she loved only a few days after finding her again, and then losing her mother, didn’t inspire a lot of patience and understanding.

Tara sat down again, a pout that she’d learnt from Willow and later Dawn firmly fixed on her lips. “When do you have to leave?” she asked quietly, realising that being childish was not the best way to deal with a very adult situation.

“The Elders have allowed me to stay until you undertake the journey either home, or to the plain of the living dead.”

“Vampires?” Tara demanded, alarmed. “You’re gonna send me to stay with vamps? Can I stake them?”

Delyth chuckled. “No, Tare-bear. The devil takes care of his own. I mean that you will travel to stay with those like you – those who are lost. There will be none of our family there,” she told her daughter gently. “The women in our family have always aspired to become Elders, but for you that is not an option. Your duty in life…” Tara raised an eyebrow, and her mother obligingly closed her mouth.

“I don’t like heaven,” Tara announced suddenly, in a way returning to the young, innocent, outspoken young child that she had been until her mother’s illness, and Delyth smiled slightly to hear it again, even as she frowned, knowing that the illusion her daughter was under must be rectified.

She looked at her daughter, catching blue eyes with blue. “What makes you think this is Heaven, my Tare-bear?”

“It’s not?” Tara asked slowly, furrowing her brow in concentration. “Well, where else could I…” She stopped talking suddenly, and leaped to her feet in alarm, swaying and grabbing hold of a tree for support. “I’m in hell?”

Delyth’s silence told Tara all she needed to know.

Post subject: Re: Update: Part 2 - Realisation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:44 am 
Wow! I re-read the first part, I loved all the extra detail :) The second part was wonderful, so many emotions. I thought it was interesting how you switched between Willow and Tara and how they were both dealing with the aftermath of things. Poor Tara, taken away from Willow and now her mom and surely she can't be in hell!!??

Look forward to the next part :D

"I am a whiz...If ever a whiz there was"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 8:52 am 
Yikes!

Really curious to see what you've got planned.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:27 am 
this is really great, thanks for the update:) i'm very interested as to what's gonna happen...

”What do you think I am, a skeleton thief? You want to search me?!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 10:53 am 
Not in heaven?! Eep!!

I hope she isn't in hell.

Good job, the rewrite is good :)

(not that I didn't like the first part, I did, both parts are nice)

-Will

"Hear that baby? You're my always."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:04 pm 
Great Udpate! But...Tara in Hell?? No way!! could only be a mistake...can't wait for your update!

Oh baby, want me to rub your tummy? She likes it when I ... stop explaining things.

Hi, um Tara..how are you? well...I was wondering maybe you want to go out some time...for coffee? food? Kisses and gay love?

Edited by: snuggle79 at: 6/17/02 12:05:19 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:05 pm 
Thanks, TheWhiz, Mollyig, Loco2 and Willntlover for the comments. As for Tara being in hell, that depends on your interpretation of what hell is like. As for the re-write, I realised that it was slightly too depressing, so I added another scene which was supposed to be light relief, but then turned into A/X depression. *sigh*. Oh well, I tried.

Gem

Edited by: Miss1234Kitty at: 6/17/02 12:14:39 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:39 pm 
I just read both parts and really enjoyed this. I hope to see more soon. :)

--------------------------------

"But when they're playing your song on the jukebox in Hell, you might as well dance." - K. Simpson

"Futile... like a FOX, baby!" - Tara in The Late Shift by wiccachica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:54 pm 
Excellent...really enjoyong this...I like that you described Tara as outspoken before her mother's death. Just shows what can happen to a child after such an event in their young lives.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 2:32 pm 
ooohh....i hope there's more soon!! tara in hell? i hope not....but's so IRONIC!!!!! great twist....i like this a lot!!!!!

*please use both hands....*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:38 am 
Snuggle79, LeatherQueen, Pudds and Eccentrictulip, thanks for all the sweet comments. As for how much Tara changed before her mother's death, I got kinda fed up of the 'Tara - quiet' line. Besides, she adored her mother and I just felt it would change her greatly, considering that her father didn't exactly provide a loving home. I'm not sure if there'll be an update tonight, but I'll try! If not it should be up tommorrow. Unless it's up the day after. Oh, just expect it when you see it!

Gem

Edited by: Miss1234Kitty at: 8/22/02 1:32:46 pm

Post subject: Re: Fic: Tears in Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 2:33 pm 
Part 3 - Duties

Tara stood silently for what seemed like an eternity to her mother, though it had actually been less than two minutes. The moment passed and she was off running across the meadows that she had grown up in, searching for the treehouse that she had sought solitude in for so long. Her chest began to ache and her legs were throbbing by the time that she saw the treehouse that she and Donny had built when their mother was ill. Delyth’s sickness had inspired a sense of comradeship between the siblings, a sense of purpose. They’d clubbed together their pocket money to help with the first operation.

Dad had laughed, Tara remembered. She’d felt so proud as she handed over her money, little as it might be, but it was still money, and their father had laughed in their faces. Delyth had gently closed Tara’s small fist over the money and told her that they had enough, but that she’d love some flowers from the meadow.

Then, they’d changed tactics. Tara had searched the countryside for rare herbs and flowers that her mother had taught her about during her magick lessons. That was when she’d cast her first healing spell, and Delyth had been better all that day. Danny had adopted his father’s “the doctors know best” attitude somewhat, but he’d still read every medicine book in print, from cover to cover and threw questions at the doctors when they’d finally been allowed to meet them.

None of it had mattered - Delyth had still died, and her daughter’s eyes filled with tears at the memory.

Blinking them away determinedly, she approached the large treehouse which their father had helped them to assemble, albeit reluctantly. When Tara broke out the big blue pleading eyes, not even Steven Maclay could turn her down. Climbing quickly up the wooden ladder, Tara found her mother waiting for her.

“Gah-ah!” Tara shrieked, nearly falling off the platform. “How did you get here?”

“You cannot run from the truth forever, Tara,” Delyth informed her placidly.

Pouting, Tara asked pitifully, “Can I just run from it for a little while?” Her mother’s raised eyebrows told her that humour was not exactly appropriate right now. One way in which she was very lucky was that Willow understood – and in some cases, even shared - her quirky sense of humour. Most of the other people in her life, including her mother, either missed it entirely or found it extremely inappropriate.

Thinking of Willow hurt. It hurt a lot. Once more, Tara felt the now familiar tears come to her eyes. She wasn’t usually a crier, but that was all she seemed to do lately. “God, I’m so sick of crying,” she muttered, scrubbing at her eyes with her sleeve. Yet somehow, with every moment she spent away from her redheaded beautiful soulmate, prospects seemed to grow bleaker. She couldn’t help but cry and wish that Willow was there, holding her in her arms and comforting her instead of her mother.

Shakily, Willow turned from the walkway that would take her inside the plane and towards England. Away from Sunnydale, and her friends. Her green eyes pleaded with Buffy and Xander. Buffy was staring at the floor, her own eyes filled with tears as she avoided the hurt and sadness in Willow’s. Dawn was blinking back tears as well, but smiling bravely. Anya gazed steadily at the redhead, an arm around Dawn which surprised them both, but Dawn nestled into the unfamiliar contact, relishing the unexpected comfort. The only person who hadn’t said anything since they’d reached the airport was Xander. Eyes dark, his mouth set in a firm line, he looked… angry. Bitter. Hurt.

Once more the lone figure turned to leave, and then changed her mind, moving to face her friends. Anya smiled encouragingly at her, and the redhead returned the weak smile, her steady gaze never faltering from the four most important people in her life. Finally, she spun around and walked down the aisle to the plane that would take her to England, the memory of those four people – her family – forever imprinted in her mind. Buffy, her best friend, confidant and sister; her adored Xander, more a protective brother than anything else; Dawnie, her little sister; and Anya, perhaps her truest friend – the one who had put aside anger, hurt and misunderstandings to come through for her in the hardest times despite the fact that Willow had never truly accepted her.

They stood there for a long time, no-one talking. Dawn was crying silently, her shoulders shaking with sobs as she relieved memories which no monk had imprinted in her mind. Buffy, coming up to the school and looking so desperately unhappy… seeing her sister, her guardian, leap into the portal which would take her life… Tara lying silently on the floor of their bedroom. Buffy moved over to her sister, and both she and Anya wrapped supporting arms around the teenager.

Xander turned and met Buffy’s gaze. She held it steadily, seeing and understanding the pain in it before looking down and studying the floor intently.

“If she comes back worse,” he told her, his voice cracking as they were both reminded of a similar scene long before Oz, let alone Tara, “I will never, ever forgive you.”

“Neither will I,” Buffy replied softly.

Delyth held her daughter as she cried. Both women relieving memories from years ago as a fourteen-year-old Tara had cried in her mother’s comforting arms, seeming so strong and capable yet, at the time, Delyth had been too weak to pick up a glass of water.

Sniffing, Tara sat upright, roughly pushing away tears with the backs of her hands. “What did I do wrong, Mama?” she asked hoarsely. “I tried – I tried so hard.” Her mother nodded, knowing that the fragile young wiccan needed to release her feelings. “Was it because of Willow?”

“No, honey, it wasn’t,” the brunette soothed, stroking back her daughter’s blonde locks. “You did the right thing. Willow’s addiction wasn’t your fault, and it wasn’t really hers. That was her duty in life – to deal with that addiction.”

“What?” Tara asked, horrified.

Delyth nodded. “It’s true, Tara,” she sighed in frustration, unable to explain the ways of the world properly to her daughter. “You are so very, very pure. Because of that, you have no knowledge of the dark side. One of you needed to know what it was like to be tempted and to have come out of it stronger, in order for you both to continue in your duties and receive the gifts that the Elders have planned for you. Willow was just the one chosen to experience that sensation.”

“Why Willow?” Tara demanded, confusion spread over her features. “I don’t understand.”

Delyth’s own delicate features were imprinted with much the same expression. “You and Willow are soulmates, Tara. You know that. You were both entirely too pure. White magick, strong magick, like you two have, is only truly powerful unless it is appreciated totally.”

Her daughter frowned defensively. “I appreciate it,” she protested. “We both do.”

“Exactly!” Delyth said triumphantly. “You appreciate it because you have lived without it. Didn’t you wonder why your magick seemed so much weaker when you were away from Willow, Tara? Your connection meant that even when you cast together and Willow cast dark magick and you light, magick of the light was created. The loss of that, during her addiction, meant that you both realised how much you needed each other and the light magick. Also, Willow knows what it’s like now. She can help your – help people because she’s fallen as far as it’s possible to fall, and you and she will help each other up.” The elder woman looked very proud of herself as comprehension dawned in her daughter’s face.

“So – I’m going back then?” Tara asked hopefully. “I mean, Willow and I can’t help each other unless we’re together.”

Her mother shook her head. “I don’t know, Tara. I don’t decide that. Only the highest Elders have the wisdom, power, and opportunity to return you to the world that you left behind.

“Okay then,” Tara said, rising to her feet and brushing off her shirt and jeans. The blood stain from her shirt had gone, she noticed idly. “I guess we’re going to see the Elders.” Delyth held out her hand and Tara took it, clutching it between her own and thanking whoever was responsible for her seeing her mother again.

Tara: There's just so much to work through... and can you just be kissing me now?

Edited by: Miss1234Kitty at: 8/22/02 2:34:50 pm

Post subject: Re: Tears in Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:02 pm 
Oh very nice. I really like how you’ve written the changes in the characters after Tara’s death. Dawn in particular, more grown-up and mature. And Xander… hm, still Xander dealing with Xander-issues it seems. And poor Willow. That first bit about how she has to be ‘sane’ for everyone else, even though she isn’t, is SO Willow. Perfectly written. I’m intrigued as to what will happen next with Tara!?!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:35 pm 
I'm really enjoying this fic, especially your characterization of Dawn and Anya. Looking forward to seeing where this is heading!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:27 pm 
Yay! You updated!! I was starting to waonder what had happened to this story. If i may say, what an awesome update ;) Loving the whole "had to experience darkness" factor. more soon??

-Will

"Hear that baby? You're my always."

"well, you know, when you play a lesbian witch you've gotta get killed in this fun kind of exciting way, so the heart was the way to go..."

"we have the most amazing fans though they LOVE us."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:30 pm 
I've just caught up on this.....I really like it..

you tell a good tale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 314 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next