The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Katharyn and Forrister's Holiday Fic 2002
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:53 am 
I've never seen a squirrel scamper. Could be fun. Maybe I need to get out to nature more often.

I love the car ride with Giles and group. Just how long was that ride? The little Dawn/Buffy moment in the beginning was so real. Sisters ... it's just unique.

They were close enough to see what they had? Oh boy. That knowledge could go a long way.

And Willow is getting to be quite the tease. Then again, so are you two leaving it there like that ...

Thanks for the spare key. I may need it.

--celia

---------------------------------

"That was just rude. Now I forget what I was saying."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:08 am 
:thud A picnic table....:thud In the sun...

Visuals of the gang driving by...Priceless! :grin

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

Post subject: THUD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:38 am 
that was amazing i like this fic a lot

and a picnic table truly interesting im impressed tara wanted that

thank you

Post subject: Re: THUD
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:56 am 
oh my:shock

This is really funny. I love the interplay between them all - it's what I loved about the show. I love Anya - especially the way her and Willow compete - of course Willow usually comes out on top

Which brings me to picnics and cabins and all things good and frolicky. What can I say except - I can't wait for the next update.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:55 pm 
Deixs - I am not sure where this picnic table thing came from. Maybe Kerry can remember... I mentioned the "watching " before as I do not want the idea that they are being "watched" but no problem*S*

The surprise has already been revealed, at least to the reader. Between the chocolate and the cucumber...

Just wait for the Zucchini though*S*

Celia - Anything that scampers is modelled on you sweets. And squirrels definitely scamper... all the time that they aren't climbing. Can you sit on your hind legs and open up a nut? *S*

How long was the ride? LOOONG. I imagine from South California to Washingston State even though that would take more than a day in all probability. Maybe Oregon or NorCal instead - are there suitable mountains there? And if Dawn/Buffy was right... well only child here so how the heck would I know?

If you wanmt details the picnic table and T/W were hidden from the road by Giles' car and where they parked it. It was only when the scoobs drove down the actual slip road to the picnic site that they could see anything. And yeah fairly close... though you notice Dawn was only thinking it was a cucumber (I think.) It could have been something else green and long...

Or not.

Willow is a tease... but so is Tara... as we will see. We will not be coming back to that scene... however that was the "smutty" scene and not one of the four "smut " scenes that are included in this fic.

Hey, Kerry... why did you give her a key? What is the point of handcuffs if you ahve a key... Guess I will just have to come and get it back...

Thanks

Barnabasvamp - The sun was very important. It couldn't work without sun.*S* Glad you liked it.

Peggy - Glad you enjoyed it peggy. In my mind Tara didn't want to be seen... but she wanted to be out in nature... with Willow. Willow who, remember, hates the creepy crawlies.

Thanks

Dekalog - The interplay is fun. I sort of missed it when I was writing my last fic. I chose to have a setting that did not include these characters and also was far more serious... that was deliberate as some characters (well a character) bores the hell out of me... but I like this. Its refreshing to me to write them this way.

Not sure what Kerry's motive is.

Anya is fun, her competition with Willow, which I always wanted to see more of in the show after the promising start, is again very refreshing to write. And Willow has to win, most of the time, because her... T/W board*S*

Lots of frolicks... to come.

Thankyou all.

Katharyn

(Kerry might be along soon... if I can persuade her.)

-------------------------

If I want a little pussy, I got my own to play with.
Chance in Chance.

------------------------

Post subject: Who me?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:10 pm 
Katharyn, sweetness, I recall quite clearly that the picnic table was all your doing. I remember suggesting the picnic, but I was thinking blanket on the ground - the table action is all yours. "Who's all smut girl?"

As for the handcuffs - The key is for just in case. Dont want anyone locked here over the holidays.

Glad all you kittens are enjoying this story. I think doing the scooby gang is fun, because of the interactions. Its one of the things I liked about the series, it wasn't all serious all the time. Between that and the smut there should be something here for everyone.

I don't recall any more parts with zucchinis, but I'm sure the cucumber will make a return appearance.

Hoc facias homini, quod cupis esse tibi.

(Do to a another only what you want to be done to you.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:26 pm 
Hehe... I loved Willow scheming and thinking of her surprise and distracting Tara in general. She actually waved at the others with that cucumber in her hand ?? Giving them all wrong ideas :D

Still.. they should have realized the other would be around sometime and might even have a small picknick. Well they tried to have one anyway, then drove away really fast :) Anya keeping Xander's eyes on the road, heh...riiiight.

At least Willow and Tara will arrive at the cabin all relaxed :D

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:32 pm 
Well Willow does not actually wave at them. She just had it in her hand. Think of it more as a (pre)action posture. They do not actually know who it was that went past.*S*

Lets be clear though... the cucumber is a joke between them.

Well... 99.99%

And yeah they would be pretty relaxed if other things didn;t start to happen in the next part...

But that is another story.

Thanks

Katharyn

Chance in Chance.

------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:26 pm 
Oh that was priceless!!!!! And on a picnic table no less!!!! And then with the Scoobs seein them!!! I haven't laughed so hard in a while!

And Dawn had to play all innocent! Oh that was, that was truly magnificant! And then the cucumber!!! LMAO!!! Brilliant!

Totally looking forward to the next update!!!

And never let it be said that I left a Tara craving unsatisfied. - Willow in Wilderness

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:31 am 
Oh Katharyn and Kerry wow.

I was going to comment on the whole thing but I am stuck on that picnic table.

You teased that scene Katharyn and I had no idea what you meant. Wow.

I loved the dialogue and interaction between the characters in the first three parts. It flows seemlessly and yet it was wrtten by the two of you, like a part at a time? Thats amazing. :)

Perhaps you share a brain?

Paul

----------------

Get your Katie Kittenface T-Shirt Here

----------------

Post subject: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:25 am 
Title: The Holiday Fic 2002
Authors: Katharyn and Forrister.
Disclaimer: Neither Katharyn or myself own these characters. Joss does. (Some people don’t appreciate things they own.)
Rating: R WARNING – Parts of this fic contains smut. Yes, real smut. (I’m not responsible – that’s my co-author’s department.) I’ve been told that R is an appropriate rating for the fic as a whole.
Spoilers: Everything up to the end of Season 5. Season 6 does not exist. (I’m still doing the whole refusal to live in Joss’s reality thing.) I guess you’d call this a post S5 alternate universe. I call it a much nicer place to be.
Summary: “Are we there yet?” . . . . “Are we there yet?” . . . . . "Oooh, snow!" . . . . . “Are we there yet?”

Thanks: Katharyn would like to thank Kerry for finding the smut. Zucchini rules! Forrister would like to thank the assorted vegetables who agreed to take cameo roles in this fic. Vegetable Power!

PS: If anyone finds my sanity, please wrap it in something soft and send it back to me – I’ll pay postage.

Chapter 4

Giles waited for the question. He was actually hoping that it would come now. ‘Are we there yet?’ There had been a pleasant respite over lunch, which had started out mostly silent after the things that the ladies had observed at the first choice of picnic area. He’d actually been quite glad that his eyesight was so bad right then. He wouldn’t have actively ‘looked’ – but he wouldn’t have wanted to catch a glimpse either. It was a matter of respect – and he did have the utmost respect for Tara and Willow which was not lessened by what he assumed Buffy, Anya and Dawn had very briefly witnessed.

That was something that was private and personal to them though – no matter where they chose to indulge their love.

In fact he suspected that a good deal less had been observed than memory might suggest. Anya had fixated on keeping Xander’s eyes on the road. Buffy on keeping Dawn from looking. He had still been impossibly blinded by that can of spray snow.

He was sure that it had just been a shock to find the normally reserved Tara in that… position.

Still the ‘Are we there yet?’ question was a constant source of annoyance to him. Had it been the slightly more immature Dawn he would have entirely understood it, but Dawn – to her eternal credit – seemed quite happy observing the landscape that he couldn’t actually see.

It was spectacular – he’d been here before though.

Buffy was unusually quiet but he had more than a fair idea why that might be. That was why they were all out here after all, or part of the reason. Still she, like Xander who was the driver, had asked him once each. It was Anya that was driving him to distraction. If she wasn’t harping on about his missed profits then she was asking that damn question.

“Are we nearly there yet?” Anya asked again. No one would give her a proper answer and she thought that, having sacrificed her share of the Magic Box profits – even if Giles hadn’t agreed to the profit share incentive scheme for the Assistant Manager’s post yet – she had a right to know. As much as anything else she wanted to estimate if there was any chance of opening up the shop during the afternoon when they got back – in time for New Year.

Assistant Manager? Hmm. If Giles was the owner then… couldn’t she actually be the Manager? That sounded even better.

In addition to her estimations Xander was starting to suffer and she wanted to get him tucked up in bed… there were things that she wanted him to do before he succumbed to his illness too.

Giles started to respond, to tell her that he really wasn't sure as he couldn’t actually see anything beyond the front of the car in anything but smeared, blurred colours. Fortunately, considering they were all going to be staying in the same cabin for near enough a week, Xander answered the question for him.

“We seem to be there An,” Xander said looking in the mirror to see the woman he loved beaming happily. Well maybe not quite happily, but it was definitely an improvement from glowering about lost profits, not getting to have the romantic picnic and not being able to ride up front with him.

He was sort of glad about that last one. He loved her more than anything, but the things that Anya had whispered to him in bed last night… didn’t bear thinking about with three other people in the car and a cold well on the way to becoming full-blown torture.

He slowed and took the turn-off the instructions said that they should take. Spotted it first time. Giles had said that the last time he was up here they’d driven past it five times. It was good to get one over on the G-Man sometimes. He’d mention it later, when he needed to feel better during the cold.

“Here we are Buffy,” Dawn said. She was a little worried about her sister. Buffy had been fine when she came back from patrol last night, even scolding her for being up so late, it was just when they came around to anything to do with the holidays that a shadow seemed to descend over her. “Overlook Woods,” she continued. “Isn’t it pretty?”

“I guess,” Buffy replied absently. She’d see it all when they went out on their nature hikes. Organized fun. It would be… fun.

“I could tell you some stories about the great forests that used to cover this whole area,” Anya started to say.

“Please don’t,” Giles whispered to himself. The frosty silence that followed suggested that maybe he hadn’t been quiet enough. He coughed. “Please don’t feel that you have to tell us now when you can save it for later,” he amended himself.

“When we get bored?” Anya completed for him.

“No one is getting bored,” Dawn told them. “Right Buffy?”

“Hmm,” Buffy looked at the trees passing by as they went up the narrow winding road that seemed to have been laid down with avoiding, rather than uprooting, the trees in mind.

“When we’re not on the nature hike?” Anya went on.

“Buffy and I have plans,” Dawn boasted desperately. Good plans. It had seemed best to get involved to make sure that there was some actual fun involved in her sisters planning process. Willow had taken care of the logistics and Buffy was left with the activities. But they had definitely started to look like they were there to fill time rather than actually to be enjoyable. So she’d taken a hand in changing that.

“Plans?” Giles asked as Xander must have turned up a steeper part of the trail. That sounded like organized fun.

“You said cabin twelve yeah Giles?” Xander asked. “Sorry to interrupt.”

“Yes, Twelve.”

“Good because that’s the only cabin up this track, Tara and Willow must be further down the trail than us,” Xander guessed. It was something of a shame that he and Anya hadn’t got that smaller cabin, he could really do with some peace and quiet. His head was starting to throb as well as razor blades that were multiplying in his throat.

“Yes, plans,” Dawn continued now that they had their directions sorted out. “I was thinking after the walks that-”

“We were thinking that you don’t have to take part in anything that you don’t want to Giles,” Buffy interrupted her little sister. It was fun to tease Giles sometimes, but his eyes were hurting and his definition of a fun vacation was very different to theirs. And especially different to Dawns.

“Thank you so much.” Giles realized that sounded a bit standoffish and selfish. “Because I have my diaries to-”

“Get back up to date because you are a slacker?” Anya chimed in.

Cheerfully tactless as ever. He thought that they’d already dealt with that whole issue. There was absolutely no malice there, it was just pure Anya. “Yes that’s it exactly.” It had been a long drive and he was in no mood for engaging with his assistant again now.

“Here we are,” Xander announced as he pulled the car up in front of the cabin. It looked pretty big, recently renovated as Giles had said and overall very nice. Nicer than the sky looked right now. Situated on the side of a mountain, behind the cabin the trees climbed up for a good distance and after that there was just mountain… and bad weather coming over the top of there. “And I think we’d better get the stuff out-”

Buffy had already got out, propelled by Dawn who obviously wanted to get out and look round. Anya was already shaking her head at something. He turned to Giles who was still in the passenger seat.

“Don’t look at me,” Giles told him, guessing what he was waiting for. “I can’t see anything.”

“I’ll unpack the car then shall I?” Xander asked no one in particular. It’s not like I’m sick or anything. Oh yeah… I am sick. Silly me.

“I’m sure that one or two of the ladies will help you,” Giles suggested.

Xander kind of thought he knew better as Buffy unlocked the door and stepped inside.

--------------------

“Its starting to get hairy out there,” Xander wheezed as he carried in the last of the boxes of food. There had been more than a few, seeing as they had all of the Christmas meal in there as well – a full turkey included. Three boxes just for Christmas dinner. Three more of bags of chips and other snacks – which weren’t heavy but he thought that there must be room for development of a flatter pack as well as four boxes more of ‘real’ food as Tara had insisted on calling it. For some reason she seemed to think that a person couldn’t live on chips.

He was here to show her that he was definitive proof of the flaws in that argument. And he was pretty sure that all the additives and colourings hadn’t affected him at all. Even if his waistline was starting to… expand.

“Hairy,” he repeated as he set the box down in the kitchen. “Out there, the weather you know. There’s a storm brewing. A big brewing storm.” No one was listening to him. They were all doing their own thing and, looking at what was going on, carrying the boxes and bags inside was definitely the easier of the tasks. Safer too. Anya still wasn’t in the best of moods and he felt too sick to even agree with her, let alone urge her to be a little more tolerant.

And there was no way he was up to a more practical method of getting her into a better mood.

He pulled his coat tightly around himself and headed back out into the flurry of snow, hoping that Tara and Willow made it to their own cabin pretty soon. It was nowhere near time for daylight to fade but the clouds were that dark that it was already pretty gloomy out there. He wouldn’t have wanted to drive the track, in the snow, with just headlights. Not in that skittish vehicle that Giles called a car.

Xander refused to accept that any vehicle that couldn’t handle a full length of two by four was worthy of the title ‘automobile.’

Looking up at the sky he could see that there was a good chance that they wouldn’t all be able to get together tonight after all. That had been the plan – for them to have dinner together. Still, Tara had made sure that there was lots of food in their car too. More than enough for two. And a cucumber according to Dawn.

He shook his head. The oncoming cold, the bitter wind and the driving snow drifting against his upper lip all mitigated against thinking about that now with the care that it deserved.

Inside, Anya was not impressed. The only double bed in the place, in stark contradiction to Giles’s promises back at the Magic Box, was a foldout bed that they wouldn’t be able to use when anyone wanted to be moving around. She’d taken it down and folded it back up three times already and it wasn’t getting any better. Oh for the power of the wish… she could have made this whole place into a palace.

And wished away the others too.

And Xander’s messy cold.

On top of everything, once more no one was listening when she wanted to complain about it. Nor were Buffy and Dawn interested in sharing a bed so that she and Xander could push the two single beds together in their bedroom instead.

Where were Tara and Willow when she needed them? They would have taken the double and everything would have been fine. She and Xander could have had privacy, two pushed together beds and lots of sex.

She sighed and took the bed down again, wondering if this time would be any better.

Buffy had escaped out of the back door to the woodpile. It seemed a good idea to get a fire going to warm the cabin up and, she had to admit, that it was therapeutic. Maybe that was a Slayer thing – the desire to have an axe in your hands and to swing it. There was a beautifully simple, violent, monotony behind it. Every time she chopped a log she imagined various demon’s heads there. Until it got too icky and she had to see the wood once more.

She hit the log and it broke apart. She picked some more up and then she could hit that too. Slayer heaven.

It was much simpler than trying to think about how she was going to keep Dawn’s mind off the wonderful Christmas they’d had last year – with their Mom. Perhaps that had been the best ever… it felt like that, but maybe it really had been. They’d all been there. Happy, together… and it had seemed that Mom had been through the worst of it.

Happy illusion.

There had been a lot of firsts since then. There was the first time that they’d had to go grocery shopping without one of Mom’s lists. The first time Dawn had gone back to school. The first time Dawn had skipped school and Buffy had been forced to drag her back. The first time that they’d paid a bill. The first time that had to scold Dawn for staying out late. The first time that she’d been the only person around to praise her sister’s report card. And now there was the first holiday season without her.

Buffy hadn’t been able to think straight since Thanksgiving. The holiday season was worse than any of the others. It invited memories that she wanted to treasure… but couldn’t quite face.

She hadn’t been able to think straight until she’d come out, in the cold air able to see her breath been blown away, and chopped the wood.

She’d been so worried, for so long, about how to keep Dawn distracted, she’d never even bothered to stop and realize that Dawn was perhaps better adjusted than she’d thought. Better adjusted than she was. Perhaps it was the resilience of youth. And if so where had her own youth gone?

Chopping wood helped with those sort of thoughts.

Dawn was doing okay. She just had to try and do as okay as that herself.

Whilst Buffy was chopping wood and Anya was bitching about… well something, Mr Giles had just sat down and checked through the boxes that contained his diaries. To Dawn it looked like, if anyone was going to make this place both livable and Christmassy anytime soon, it was going to have to be her. No one seemed to care.

So she’d set about cleaning up. The cabin wasn't dirty, but it had obviously been unoccupied for a while – maybe even since it was renovated as she kept finding wood shavings and dust where things had been drilled.

The way that she saw it spring would be pretty, if cool, summer beautiful, fall enchanting and, as of today really, winter ideal for skiing. But since the last leaves had fallen from the trees until today there was just no reason for anybody to have come up here – so the place had got dusty since the summer season.

Xander’s sneezing wasn’t due to that though.

“I would help,” Giles commented, “but-”

“You can’t see!” Anya finished. “We know. We’ve known since you first told us. And we still know now.”

“An,” Xander warned as he returned with another bag. He didn’t want this spoiling. Buffy had been very specific about not spoiling it for Dawn. For any of them really. It had been a tough year one way or another. Joyce had…

Buffy and Dawn had both nearly died when that hell god…

“Be nice,” he finished and gave her his best smile. He didn’t feel like it, but he knew Anya. If she thought she had his support then she’d be happy enough – content and smug about it. And she did have it. That was what love was. He already knew that she would take good care of him when he was finally allowed to slip into bed and let sleep mask the final advance of his cold. She just saw no reason to keep the frustrations that everyone felt in their lives to herself.

She was truly a giver.

Anya pursed her lips, biting back her next comment. Xander was right, they were here to help Buffy, who obviously needed it so much, and Dawn who should have done. The holiday season had links with charity.

She could be charitable. She smiled because there was actually no handing over of money involved. Just lost profits, which was potential money rather than actual money. It was definitely a better form of charity.

“Let me take that duster little girl,” she said cheerily and we’ll have this place cleaned up in no time. “Since Giles’ friend clearly couldn’t be bothered.”

Xander sighed, which turned into something akin to breathing fire as the air whispered up his tortured throat. He was pleased to see Giles hold back from that too. Give Anya a chance and she would surprise you sometimes. One way or another. Already she was directing Dawn’s cleaning activities.

One more bag.

Just one more. Then someone would surely lend him a bed while they all stayed up and… didn’t suffer with the worst cold the world had ever seen.

Just one more.

If Tara and Willow had been here they could have unloaded the car without even leaving the cover of the porch. He hoped that they were doing okay, he had a suspicion that the two girls picnic had gone on a little longer than their own.

Cucumber huh?

Nah.

Somehow he doubted it. Tara wasn't that kind of girl.

----------------------

“Well this wasn’t quite what was in the brochure,” Willow said as Tara slowed down once more. In amongst the trees and under such a cloud it was pretty dark and with the snow driving at the windscreen, drifting as it hit, visibility was down to practically nothing. Pictures of cabins in the mountains might show snow… but strangely never how it got there. It was always sunny.

The good thing about having so many trees was that, where there weren’t any and there wasn’t any sort of drop off, you could sort of assume that was the trail. There were signs every so often, pointing to different cabins. They hadn’t reached either six or twelve yet. Tara had already promised that, if they came across the other’s cabin first, they’d stop in and let them know that they were alright. Also they could sit out the storm.

They didn’t dare just stop though. They might be left, unable to move the car, in the middle of the trees.

“There wasn’t a brochure sweetie,” Tara said a few moments later. She was concentrating on the road, trail… or lack of those things more than she was Willow. She’d make up for it later though.

Not that she thought that she owed anything to Willow, or Willow to her, attention-wise after their picnic at lunchtime. There had been some serious giving of attention then.

Mind not wandering now. Mind focused on the task at hand. Steering, carefully accelerating when she had to and being very, very careful with the brakes. She had no idea how this car would handle on ice, or in some deeper snow.

They hadn’t seen the snow start to fall; they’d driven into it out on the highway where grit had already been laid to keep that clear. They were going to need a whole lot more grit out there to have any effect in snowfall like this.

The edge of what they’d thought was just a flurry had been like driving into a curtain of white. There’d just been time for Willow to say ‘Oooh snowflake,’ and for Tara to nod and then there had been a virtual whiteout. So bad that she’d pulled over until the wind had shifted and eased a little. She hadn’t driven in anything like that sort of weather since she’d left home and there hadn’t been so much even then.

Tara had to admit to herself that the long trail up to the Maclay house was good practice for the conditions they found themselves in now.

“No brochure because its free,” she completed. She knew that Willow was dividing her worried attention between looking for the road, any possible sign for their cabin and looking at her to see if she was alright doing this. She just couldn’t give Willow much of her own attention. Talking helped a little though. It distracted her from worrying about going off the trail, or getting stuck or anything like that. Worry was likely to be the thing that caused that ‘anything’ to happen.

“Do you think we’ll be okay?” Willow asked. This was weather that she’d never known. Snow. There had been that one time in Sunnydale and apart from that her experience of it was limited to snow from a can.

And look how that had gone. Giles heading for casualty.

“We’ll be fine sweetie, I just have to be careful,” Tara gave Willow a smile but without taking her eyes off the trail. “What’s that?” she asked.

“Looks like a sign,” Willow strained to see what was fastened to the tree in the headlights. Signs were good. Signs were… well signs of civilization. Or at least something other than snow. “The arrow points to the left and it says… six.”

“Finally,” Tara breathed as she compensated for the lack of traction on the shallow hill.

Willow heard the soft word, she knew that Tara had to be very careful and she recognized the worry in her lover’s voice. Tara hid it carefully but there was very little that they couldn’t recognize in each other by now.

“Its down there then?” Willow wondered, as the car seemed to be perched at the top on an incline. In the dark it dropped away into blackness, though that would be better once they started down and the headlights were pointing in the right direction.

“Looks that way,” Tara eased them forwards and found that, thankfully, this side of the rise was sheltered from the snow. At least most of it. She could see more and more importantly she could feel the traction return. She didn’t want to be skidding downhill. Who knew how long it went on for.

If the winded shifted though, they’d have trouble getting back up here. Maybe it would stop snowing sooner rather than later.

“Well done baby,” Willow congratulated her love as they pulled up to a low, rather small cabin. “I wouldn’t have dared drive through that. We’d still be out on the highway.”

Tara killed the engine but left the headlights illuminating their destination, better than scrabbling around trying to find the keyhole and everything. “Its just practice sweetie,” she said. Most things were. She seemed to recall saying that before…

“You were scared?” Willows asked.

“Terrified,” Tara smiled. It was easy to laugh about it now though. They were there. “You?”

“Not with you,” Willow replied. “I knew that you’d stop if you thought you couldn’t handle it. I trust you. I know you.”

“Yes you do,” Tara confirmed, then leaned across and kissed Willow, not content with a peck she sought out some passion.

“What’s that for?” Willow wondered, not that she was objecting to a little tongue.

Tara smiled. “Nothing special. Just for being you.”

“Okay… you might have to remind me that I’m me again later. When you’re with me and we are all…” she tailed off as she looked at Cabin Number Six.

“Snug?” Tara guessed.

“That’s one way to put it baby,” Willow agreed. “Do you think that it has a full set of facilities?”

“Well Mr Giles said that it was pretty basic, compared to the other one. It’s like the actual ‘old’ cabin that was first up here. Where his friends great-grandfather lived before there was any development of the rest of the cabins.” Tara looked at it. “Its definitely not looking run down. I think that, up here, in winter a cabin that wasn’t maintained would never survive the weather. I mean this is just the start of the snow.”

“Hmm,” Willow pondered over that. “We should go in do you think? If it’s too basic then we can try and find number twelve and the rest of the guys?”

“I think,” Tara started as she looked at the weather, “we’re stuck here tonight – unless it like unlivable.” She regretted the choice of words almost as soon as they were out of her mouth.

“Stuck?” Willow repeated slowly.

Tara could see the fear spread over her love’s face. “I just mean that we don’t even know where number twelve is and I don’t think I want to try and take the car anywhere tonight unless I really have to. “So it’s stuck by choice, not in a bad way.”

“Stuck can be good?” Willow wondered.

“Well,” Tara suggested, “you’ve stuck things places that have been pretty good.” She kissed Willow again.

“That’s true,” Willow admitted. She wasn’t totally convinced. “Maybe I could nip out after,” she said, “and just see if there are any lights in sight? If they were close then we’d be able to get there.”

Tara didn’t like the idea of that. “Just to look, not to set out to get there Willow,” she said firmly.

Willow nodded. “I know it’s dangerous.”

“And I don’t want anything to happen to you,” Tara said equally as firmly. “Lets just see what the situation is with the cabin. Its probably all snug and cosy.”

“Did we even pack a big jacket?” Willow asked her lover as she looked into the back of the car. She didn’t remember it being on the list and she really didn’t own one. Sunnydale, never saw snow. That was home and it didn’t need the sort of jacket that made you look like Mr Stay Puff.

“I have my coat in the back,” Tara said. Not that it was designed for this sort of extreme weather. Certainly not for walking around out there. And their walking boots and fleece jackets, all any of them had thought they’d need, were packed away in the cases. She looked in the back and found Willow was also eying up the mountain of stuff.

“I think that we should just take what, you know, we can move easily and really need for a night,” Willow said and Tara nodded. It made sense. “Then we unpack when the snow stops. We can dig the car out if we have to.” That was a bit of a worry, but was there really any chance that the car would be buried so deeply they wouldn’t be able to get into it?

If it was then there was very little chance of them even getting out of the cabin. Worry about it later, Willow told herself. But she knew she wouldn’t. It would be on her mind all the time… unless she was distracted and there had been that… passionate kiss. Tara seemed to have been up for a distraction.

“It’s pretty sheltered here, in the lee of the cabin,” Tara observed as she watched the snow fall rather than get driven against the windscreen. It shouldn’t get buried in the snow. Maybe there would be a drift against it if the wind changed, but not actually buried. Not in one night. And as long as they were safely snuggled up inside…

Reaching over the seats they scavenged the rucksacks which they’d packed with the essentials, the food that had to be kept cool – and they really hoped there was a fridge which was a strange wish in the snow – and the sleeping bags. Just in case. Then they both grabbed a door handle, ready to make a run for it. “Wait here sweetie,” Tara suggested, “until I get the door open.”

Willow watched as her lover got out and ran to the door of the cabin with deliberate, careful, steps, unlocking it with the key that Mr Giles had given to her and then as soon as she knew that it was open she followed Tara and made it to the door without either getting too cold or falling on her ass.

Tara must have found a light switch, which meant that they did have power but as she got to the door Willow realized a few things. First that there was going to be no problem keeping the food cold, second that the cabin was pretty snug, third that the electricity seemed to be limited to a few basic appliances, all of which she could see… and finally what she said to Tara.

“Anya would really, really, hate this.”

“Oh yeah,” Tara admitted.

They closed the door and prepared to settle in for the night.

(To be continued)

Si erro, reduc mihi ad Katharyn.
(If I wander, lead me back to Katharyn.)

Post subject: Re: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:30 am 
Puh, I am glad they all made it safely to the cabins!

I wonder what Tara's and Willow's cabin looks like!!

Stef :p

Post subject: Re: Chapter 4
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:56 am 
cucumber? Cabins? Oh my lord...:bounce

:party :eyebrow

Post subject: Holiday Fic 2002
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:26 pm 
**scampering away to hide my spare key**

You’ll never find it!

Quote:
Can you sit on your hind legs and open up a nut?
If I were to answer that, there’d have to be a rating on this post. :grin

A convertible in the snow … no fun at all, especially through the mountain areas. It is a good thing for those trees. Open areas … whiteouts … horrible.

I love Anya throughout this. She’s just cracking me up. And why do I get the feeling that she’s going be ticked off if she sees the cabin Tara and Willow are staying in? Just have to wait and I see, I suppose. *sigh* Where’s that patience when I need it?

--celia

Post subject: Re: Holiday Fic 2002
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:38 pm 
Deixs - The comments that you are all making have just made me realise something - you all assume sarcasm because I am usually sarcastic!

I am being typecast!

Well I suppose it is my own fault*S*

Thanks.

The Vamp Nurd - The cucumber did survive to make it to the cabin yes. Interesting collection of emoticons you have there!

Celia - You mean that you don't hide the key on your person? *Cough*

I better check there anyway!

You can put a rating on posts... so feel free to answer. Your scampering is shaping fic now - you are an influential scamperer.

Yeah the weather is horrible... but I am sure you can all appreciate why that might be*S*

Anya... I keep saying it but it amazes me how much fun she can be to write - I know Kerry feels the same. Suffice it to say that the stuff in these parts was written about the same time as I was giving you the beta for Kali where I changed some Anya stuff. I was in an Anya mood it seems.

And see... Anya really, really would hate that cabin. I mean if she had it...

And no it is not filled with rabbits.

As for patience, well you are getting daily updates - what more can we do?

Thanks sweets,

Katharyn

Chance in Chance.

------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:12 pm 
I love Giles's quote about the youngsters of today:

… Had a strength that he wouldn’t have believed possible. But with an appalling taste in music nevertheless.

It's a good thing he couldn't see though. (-;

SC to WA would take you 3-4 days without stopping other than for sleeping, but Oregon/NoCal would work as the Cascades run through there; lots of moutains, including glaciated peaks, and one of my favorite places in the world--Crater Lake.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:22 pm 
Now that was lovely. I had a few parts to catch up on, and I am so loving this story. And I can't wait to see exactly what this teeny cabin looks like. :)

"We've got the only librarian who can rip off your arm with his leg. People respect that." - Terry Pratchett

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:04 am 
DarkMagic Willow - Giles has his own things that make him fun to write*S*

I thought Washington was a bit too far... hence we stayed vague. There was, originally, a reason it needed to be Washington, but that went away so we are left with anything we want. So lets say Oregon... Thanks! And I was trying to think of Crater Lake when I mentioned Oregon before... So somewhere around there maybe.

Leatherqueen - Thanks LQ.The cabin has features that will be *cough* explored.

Katharyn

Chance in Chance.

------------------------

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:11 am 
Do I smell a set-up for future frolicks?

*sniffs the air*

Oh yeah I really do. :)

I am inspired by the characterisation you two have pulled off here. I think, looking at it, that it works because you are writing the characters just to be the characters. There is, as I think you admitted, no "plot" here - just the creation of a set of circumstances.

Within that the characters can just be themselves without having to convey serious information or anything like that. Its nice to see that sort of thing. How often do we get to see them, even if fic, just being themselves? Not often because around here the "plot what plot" stuff is usually T/W (for obvious reasons!)

This is lovely and refreshing. :heart

Thankyou so much

Paul

----------------

Get your Katie Kittenface T-Shirt Here

----------------

Post subject: Katharyn and Forrister's Holiday Fic 2002
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:00 am 
Disclaimer: Neither Katharyn or myself own these characters. Joss does. (Some people don’t appreciate things they own.)
Rating: R WARNING – Parts of this fic contains smut. Yes, real smut. (I’m not responsible – that’s my co-author’s department.) I’ve been told that R is an appropriate rating for the fic as a whole.
Spoilers: Everything up to the end of Season 5. Season 6 does not exist. (I’m still doing the whole refusal to live in Joss’s reality thing.) I guess you’d call this a post S5 alternate universe. I call it a much nicer place to be.
Summary: Its wet and cold outside, but inside its snug and warm.

Thanks: I’d like to thank all those who have contributed to this story by their comments, suggestions and feedback.

Chapter 5

“Right,” Xander managed to say as he plodded inside the door and set down the last of the bags from the car. “That’s it.”

Everyone turned to look at him only as he sneezed, as if noticing his efforts for the first time. Which was absolutely charming. Here he was, sick and suffering, and not only had he been designated driver and an untipped bellhop, but they hadn’t even realized what he was doing?

Anya came over to him, directing Dawn to the cobwebs in the corner as she did. She kissed him, which felt nice. “Thank you,” she said and kissed him again, this time on the lips.

“An, you shouldn’t,” he told her, “you’ll get it too.”

To show him what she thought of that idea she kissed him again, this time more forcefully. She’d stuck with him though that syphilis thing, so a little cold wasn’t too much of a problem for her. “We’ll be doing more than kissing later,” she said and just knew that everyone had immediately turned their heads away. As usual.

“No,” Xander told her, “we won’t.”

Anya blinked. She pulled back and looked him in the eyes, searching for the tell-tale glimmer of good humour that would show that he was joking. She couldn’t see it. She kissed him again, blinked, pulled back and looked him in the eyes.

He wasn’t joking.

“You don’t love me anymore?” she asked.

Xander sighed. The worst thing about being ill was getting through to Anya that part of being sick was not wanting, or being able, to do some things. She tended to treat it as an exercise in looking after him – rather than seeing how he actually felt. He hated himself for thinking it, but maybe having a cold, a mild one, would do her some good. “I love you more than the world.”

“More than any world?” she asked.

“More than all of them.”

“Then…?” she suggested.

He shook his head. “I’m sick An,” he reminded her.

“Can I take care of you?” she asked. If he really was sick then she could do that. She could be compassionate and take care of him. Again. Xander got sick almost as often as Giles got knocked out which was saying a lot.

“I wish you would,” Xander told her. Then he realized his mistake.

“Right,” Anya announced to the others. “Clear out.”

“Huh?” Dawn asked as she jumped for the cobwebs.

“Xander is sick. I am taking care of him and he needs to go to bed. And being as you put us out in the fold down bed in the living area you’ll all have to go to bed too. Somewhere else,” she told them. That was just the way that it was. Xander was more important than they were. “Not here. With us.”

“But we haven’t had any dinner,” Giles told her, squinting and trying to focus on them. There was just this big white blur and a smaller one he assumed was Anya.

“So?” Anya demanded. That wasn’t her fault. Or Xander’s.

“So we need to have something to eat,” Buffy explained as she came in. “Xander can lie down. We’ll be quiet and we’ll go to bed earlier. But we’re not going yet. Sorry Xander.” She really was. They’d just got here. It was the holidays. And she wasn’t sending Dawn to bed early either.

Anya started to react, as they all knew she would when Xander’s well being was at issue, but it was he who stopped her. “That’ll be fine,” he told them. Shivering. It was still pretty damn cold.

“Are you going to stand there covered in snow?” Dawn asked, “Or do you want to go shake it off?”

“Is it snowing?” he responded weakly, hardly feeling at his best. Now they noticed that he was covered in snow? It just showed how much the cabin needed to warm up before it would be comfy. Five people moving around and the fire that Buffy was trying to start should help with that.

Four people moving. He just wanted to lie very still under a very thick duvet with his box of tissues by his side.

“Right,” Anya said. She’d regrouped. Xander wanted his friends to have a good time, a quiet good time, but a good time all the same. That was because he was a good man. Charitable to those who were less fortunate than he? Even when he was sick. “Everyone leave Xander alone and try to move around as little as possible.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, finally managing to get the fire lit after about ten minutes of trying. And that was with a box of matches. There had to be an easier way than the quest for fire or these very breakable matches that had been by the fire. Perhaps it had been a slayer strength thing.

Giles made no move. He had claimed his place on the couch and would, no doubt, plead blindness to get out of anything. At least until someone started to handle his precious diaries.

Anya was already leading Xander towards the folded down bed no matter how much he might protest that he was perfectly able to make it himself. “Anyone who isn’t blind please turn your back,” Anya declared.

“I’ll just go in the bathroom,” Xander told her. Besides he was keeping his shorts and shirt on. Anything that wasn’t covered in snow. It was still cold as a morgue in the cabin – and he should know… he’d been in a few in his time. Though it was one place he’d never worked in his short and yet incredibly varied series of careers in Sunnydale. He made his way to the bathroom and left Anya there with the rest of them. He didn’t need any help undressing, even if his joints were all aching.

Unpacking, in a blizzard, possibly hadn’t been the wisest choice for someone starting to suffer with a heavy cold.

“Well,” Anya said, “you can still be quiet. It will be good practice.”

“Not doing anything unnecessary,” Buffy asked as she warmed her hands over the burning logs as the flames flickered higher.

“Not making too much noise,” Dawn continued catching her sister’s drift.

“Do you actually want any dinner Anya?” Giles completed. He was starving, he knew that Buffy and Dawn were too – they’d said as much. Dinner was going to mean moving around and noise.

“You can stir fry the beef if you like,” Anya suggested. There were some fresh peppers. She’d seen Dawn start to unpack them after Xander had brought them in from the car. That would be nice.

“Stir Fry?” Dawn wondered. “Quietly.”

“Yes.”

“Perhaps, Anya, you should do the cooking,” Giles suggested. “Show us how it is all done… quietly.” Then he was suddenly silent, realizing the huge mistake he’d just made.

Anya simply looked at him until Dawn spoke up. “Er . . . you just concentrate on taking care of Xander, I’ll take care of dinner.” It was an honest offer, she was getting quite handy in the kitchen nowdays.

Anya rewarded her with a smile, which was good because while she was smiling at Dawn she couldn’t see the look of sheer relief on the faces of Buffy and Giles.

-----------------------------

The sound of the door opening ended Tara’s worrying about Willow. Her baby was back and she was okay. Well…

“Cold,” Willow’s teeth chattered around the word and Tara ran across the room to her.

If it was cold in here then it was way, way colder out there. She pulled the door shut behind Willow and took her over to the fire that she’d, finally, managed to get lit without the benefit of magic. The wood that they had in the fire wouldn’t last too long and there were only a couple of chopped logs otherwise – the rest, if there were any, would be outside somewhere. Still it was enough to get the place, and now Willow, warm. They’d see about the rest in the morning.

She pulled Willow in towards the fire that was just starting to roar in the chimney. “No luck sweetie?” Willow had gone out to see if she could see any lights, or to find out where the nearest phone might be so they could call the others, because this cabin was conspicuously lacking one. It was pretty much lacking most of what people in the late 20th Century would consider vital amenities. At least it had an indoor bathroom and a fridge… even if having been in that bathroom that was kind of the same thing at the moment.

Cold seat…

They didn’t even know if the others had arrived safely… and according to the description Giles had given them there were about ten square miles over which the cabins were dispersed. If the others were here, Willow had said, they could be anywhere. It was a little worrying, but after the long lunch they’d taken it was likely that the others had passed them.

They were supposed to meet up at the picnic site, but in hindsight it was good job that the others had never stopped. It could have proved embarrassing in a… ‘what the heck were we doing? But it was really, really good wasn’t it?’ kind of way.

Tara had let Willow go out there, in their one big coat, only after her love had raised the idea of the others being stuck in the snow somewhere nearby. That was a horrible thought… but ultimately one that they both knew was unrealistic. Why would they be stuck within sight of the cabin? Why not a couple of miles away? Anywhere… it was just one of those comfort things. Just making sure.

Willow wouldn’t be able to sleep otherwise. Neither of them would.

“No, I couldn’t see anything, it got… it got warmer though,” Willow said. Warmer hadn’t been a good thing at all. Warmer when it was snowing not good.

“That’s good,” Tara suggested. Then she saw Willow’s face as they were in the glow of the fire. “That’s not good?”

“Sleet,” Willow managed to say through her chattering teeth again.

Tara felt Willow’s clothes, they were soaked through – and she had been a while out there. Whilst snow might have eventually got her wet, as it melted, sleet would just have soaked straight into the fabric. Willow was lucky that she hadn’t frozen like a snowwoman. Or a Popsicle. Tara pulled her lover right up to the side of the fire that she’d managed to get going. There had been some logs there, in the cabin already, and she’d found a woodshed outside too. There would be some chopping to do, but there was wood – when they needed it. She ran her hands over Willow’s inner clothing and so found that it was all wet as well. The coat was designed for warmth, not to be waterproof. And the snow in her hair was already starting to melt too. It would be all drippy soon.

Towel… she didn’t have a towel and she couldn’t leave Willow like that, she’d get as sick as Xander, worse if either of them had already picked up his cold – though there were no signs of that so far. She unrolled the sleeping bag and started to remove her own clothes. It was time to have a plan. “Come on, get undressed,” Tara instructed her. “Now sweetie.”

“Th-This isn’t the time to get all b-big with the b-butch b-b-baby,” Willow managed to say through teeth that were literally starting to chatter. She’d always thought that was a cartoon thing, outside of the poles. But no, it was real enough now.

“No Will, its time for you to get undressed. You can’t keep those wet clothes on and we need to get you warmed up. There’s the fire, but we don’t have too much wood until I find an axe to chop what there is in the shed, so your going to have to share body heat with me during the night. We need to get you warm again sweetie,” Tara explained to her and when she’d stripped to her own underwear started work on Willow’s sodden clothes as her lovers fingers weren’t looking too nimble.

“Are-are you sure your not just trying to get into my pants?” Willow asked as Tara undressed her. Tara was right of course, she needed to get out of her wet clothes, and all her other stuff was in Giles’ car, which was in a place that was… well outside in the snow and neither of them was going to let what heat the fire had managed to build up out just for those.

Tara smiled as she stripped the wet sweater from Willow’s arms. It wasn't as if her love wasn't always attractive to her and that the idea of snuggling for warmth didn’t have its attractions. “Maybe sweetie, maybe.” She helped Willow off with her jeans and looked up, from her place on her knees, as the woman she loved stood shivering before the fire. She reached for the sleeping bag and unrolled it quickly for Willow. “Get in there sweetie.”

“But the bed,” Willow complained, gesturing to the other side of the room. The bed, in spite of being cold and not near the fire looked kind of comfy. A sleeping bag on the floor was a couple of inches of foam on a hard wooden surface.

“Is well away from the fire. Let yourself get warmed up and we’ll see about the bed later Will,” Tara said and then helped her into the sleeping bag. Even as Willow was protesting she was still obeying Tara’s instruction. I have her well trained, Tara thought to herself. She knows when to listen to me.

She made sure that Willow was in the sleeping bag then made a detour to hang the wet clothes as close to the fire as she could. They might as well get those nice and dry first. And if the fire, by some miracle, was still going in the morning then the clothes would be all snug.

Willow watched her love getting her sorted out and strangely it just made her think of, yet again, how much she loved Tara. It was strange the things that would do that. Just watching Tara, admittedly in her underwear ready for a warming snuggle, walking around the cabin taking care of her… it made her heart swell with pride and with devotion.

How had she ever got this lucky? It was easy, whilst they were snowbound, cold, a little hungry and in the wrong place to forget how lucky she really was to have her baby with her… and as the fire warmed them and she hugged the still quite cool sleeping bag to her, she knew that she never wanted to be this lucky again.

She’d been lucky enough for the whole rest of her life.

Not wanting any more luck. The luck that she’d already had was just fine, thank you very much. She was keeping this piece of luck all to herself – and intended to be kept too.

She smiled, trying to stop her teeth from chattering as Tara came back towards her. “How is it in there?” Tara asked her.

“Empty without you baby,” Willow responded. It wasn’t warm either, the fabric was cold… even if it was warmer than her soaked clothes. “Come here.”

Tara knelt on the open bottom half of the sleeping bag and then slipped inside there with Willow. The material was cool, but Willow’s skin was cooler and a little clammy where she’d got herself wet – which was to say pretty much everywhere. Tara put her arm around her lover and started to rub Willow’s shoulder, then her back, even as she adjusted her position alongside her.

She was so cold. But Tara knew that she’d get her love warm again. She first laid beside Willow, rubbing her skin, then wanting the warming process to work faster she pulled the other woman to her, encouraging Willow to lay in contact with her own skin. Their legs intertwined, whilst Tara’s hands did their work – only breaking to fasten up the sleeping bag as the fire blazed away beside them. She knew that she, at least, was going to be hot here – but they needed to get Willow warmed up, especially before the fire burned down and then there would just be each other’s heat to get them through the night.

In the morning they could hunt around for the axe to chop more firewood, if there wasn’t one in the woodshed. Then they could get their clothes and supplies from the car and see if they could find a way to get in contact with the others. Would they be worrying already? Probably not because there just wasn’t any reason to. Not yet. So they’d missed dinner together. Well she and Willow had eaten plenty at lunchtime.

Mr Giles would probably be worrying about his car – that was true. But it should be okay out there. No worse than where they were in the other cabin – this was a big weather event.

How was it, Willow asked herself, that Tara’s touch made all the cold go away? Where her love’s hands rubbed her… it was like there were heaters in her fingers. Willow could feel herself thawing. Where she lay against Tara’s torso the cold went away, and she knew that she was making Tara cooler. That was how heat exchange worked… She felt the occasional shiver run through Tara. Sorry baby, she thought, I usually make you shiver when you’re already hot. Tara was touching her everywhere. Rubbing her all over and Willow felt herself doing the same thing in return. Not because Tara needed her too, but just the movement helped her warm up – and besides was there any bad at all in running hands over Tara’s almost naked body? Absolutely not. No bad.

Still it was sort of nice to be vulnerable, needy and looked after by Tara, because Tara was just so damn good at it. Her baby always made her feel so special, as if she was the only person that mattered in the entire world – but somehow she made everyone else feel good too. Not good in the same way… but still good.

“We’re all snugly,” Willow said quietly.

“You feeling better now honey?” Tara asked.

“Uh-huh,” Willow breathed, aware that between the caress of her lover and the touching that she herself was doing, there were parts of her that were rather hotter than perhaps Tara had intended them to be. Her toes were still chilly though, so she pulled her foot up Tara’s leg and felt her lover shiver again.

“Damn, those tootsies are cold,” Tara said as she reached down with one hand to rub the foot that had made its way right up to her thigh, warming the toes. The other she tried to help warm up by rubbing her foot against Willow’s at the end of the sleeping bag.

“You warm me up though,” Willow replied.

“I’m trying my best sweetie,” Tara told her as she started to recognize something in Willow’s deliberately innocent features. Willow only ever looked that innocent when she didn’t want to be innocent at all. “Are you taking advantage of my kind hearted nature?” she asked. She was absolutely willing to be taken advantage of in that way.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Willow told her, but she did. She knew exactly what Tara meant. And her lover wasn't wrong either.

“No?” Tara asked, moving her hand from Willow’s toes over the to of her foot to her ankle. Threatening to go further.

“No idea at all, I mean I know you have a wonderful heart,” Willow said, “but I don’t know what you mean about taking advantage.”

“You fill my heart,” Tara told her and continued her hands journey up over her lover’s calf to the tightly bent knee. Willow filled her heart, her soul and her mind… sometimes she had to try really hard to fit anything else into her thoughts at all. It sometimes got in the way of her work for classes. Got in the way in a very lovely way though.

“And you mine baby, but I still don’t know what you mean… I’m just letting you warm me up. Who said I was enjoying it?” Willow asked her as Tara’s hand curved around from the outside of her thigh to the inside and continued upwards.

“No one said that you were enjoying it… until you did just then,” Tara observed and brought her hand to rest between Willow’s legs against cotton that wasn’t cold at all – but was certainly just a little damp.

Tara didn’t think that was due to the sleet and snow… not only that anyway.

Willow grinned. “You caught me out baby.”

“I did, didn’t I?” Tara asked rhetorically and let her hand linger right there. There was no reason that she shouldn’t pay as much full contact attention to that place as there was to any other part of Willow now was there? It was only fair to pay attention to everywhere equally. She wouldn’t want to neglect her duties.

Willow closed her eyes and reveled in the sensations of Tara rubbing her there, caressing a part of her that was far from numb with cold. If she was thawing out then she knew where the melt water was going. Right to the source of the heat. There might even be steam soon, if Tara kept doing what she was doing.

Both of them knew that, in the sleeping bag, there was no real freedom to do anything more than they were and so without a word being spoken it was agreed that was going to be the pattern of their lovemaking. That was fine. That was more than fine. It wouldn’t be the first time and it wouldn’t be the last either. In fact the first time, for Tara, that she’d caressed Willow like this, through her panties had been in the reference section of the College Library in those wild, wild few days after they’d first made love. When continuing to make love, constantly, seemed more important than the chance of getting caught.

Sometimes they went back to those wild, wild days – though not back to the reference section. Not for that anyway. Reference sections were now for reference… not for fumblings.

Until today and the picnic lunch there had never been a deliberate ‘I want the danger of being seen’ thing going on, but like any couple, they’d snatched a few opportunities that came their way. Danger was one thing… certainty of being caught was something that they never, ever, wanted. That was why the car had been positioned so carefully.

Sliding her fingers along Willow, feeling the thickened folds part beneath the cotton, took her right back there, to the library. Hadn’t she…? It was tough to remember in the wealth of loving memories that time had generated… but she was pretty sure that she’d taken things quickly – not wanting to get caught and thrown out of College. Thrown out and away from Willow. It had been less making love and more a quick fumble designed to get her lover to climax. She’d pulled every trick she’d learnt in the hours of loving Willow prior to that to help her baby to the point where she’d been forced to clamp her lips over Willow’s own to stifle the cry.

This time she was going slower. More teasing. More deliberate with it though. Quick wasn’t the intention. Prolonged heat was.

Ohhhh. Willow wasn’t sure if she let that expression sound out loud, just breathed it or whether it was all in her head, but Tara’s touch made sure that there was another one very, very quickly. Willow made sure that she allowed that new sound to slip from out between her lips even as Tara’s fingers went the other way.

“You…” Tara seemed to be having trouble finding the words “seem to be warmer now sweetie.”

“Getting hot,” Willow admitted as her foot, in a reflex action, stroked Tara’s leg and her hand followed the same pattern on Tara’s flank.

“I can tell,” Tara said. Willow… she loved to give pleasure to Willow. To know that she could demonstrate her passion as well as her love… well that had the same sort of effect on her. She was getting warmer, much warmer too. “Maybe I should stop,” she teased.

“Nnno. Don’t stop,” Willow pleaded. She knew that there was next to no way that Tara was going to but when her baby teased her like that she had to respond. It was automatic, a reflex as much as pushing herself into Tara’s delightful hand and the searching fingers. Tara had withdrawn from within her after that one brief probe and instead she’d sought out the heart of Willow’s passion, circling it, as she’d very quickly found out that Willow loved. How many such circles had she drawn? Thousands and thousands. A tiny fraction of the number that was to come.

Back then, when Tara had first discovered that, Willow had been shocked that she was so easy to read. That Tara could figure out how to bring her to such ecstasy so quickly that she’d actually had to slow it down. From the start, approaching their love had been hesitant – as had been building up to their first time together… but once they’d reached that point… oh things had moved quickly.

“You won’t overheat will you?” Tara asked her as her fingers danced around the swollen nub.

“I…I’ll blow off some steam soon,” Willow gasped, trying to keep up her end of the conversation – with all of its meanings.

“Soon?” Tara asked her and deliberately brushed her fingers once more directly over Willow’s clit.

“Unnn… soon baby, soon.” It was all that she could manage. Tara just knew her too well… and her whole body was attuned to Tara and her caresses. So much so that sometimes Tara seemed to know what she needed and when better than she did. Sometimes she would find herself surprised at Tara’s caresses… but she also knew that it was precisely what was going to tip her over the edge, or allow her to pull back… so that they could build up to the edge of her climax once more. Maybe more than once more.

Tara always knew. Tara always… ohhhh Tara always knew.

“See,” Tara murmured a few minutes later, “this place isn’t so bad.”

“Some of the comforts of home,” Willow acknowledged as she lay beside her lover. “The important ones.”

“I imagine that there might be a few times that we’ll need to keep warm…” she suggested in response.

Willow kissed her briefly. “I think so,” she said. “Even when we get some more wood. Keeping warm will be very important…” It was one of the first rules of survival.

“And we have a good portion of the food,” Tara suggested. “No need to panic about that yet.” She reached behind Willow and undid her bra before she unfastened her own and they struggled in the confines of the single, but large, sleeping bag to remove them.

Willow wiggled. “Can we at least use the bed tomorrow?” she asked.

“You don’t like this?” Tara asked her.

“No… I like it. It’s all…” Willow ran her fingers up between them to Tara’s breasts, “…comfy and snug.”

”But it could be more comfy?” Tara asked, laughing.

That was just it, it could be more comfy but now that she was in, now that she was warm and she was with her love, this place didn’t seem so bad at all. Basic, but cosy. As long as they got the supplies sorted out they could have a good time here.

A good time together.

They could be good time girls. For each other.

They both loved Buffy and Dawn, but things could get a little… too cosy in other ways to be able to be totally themselves in the Summers’ house. This… this could be nicer. Just for a little while.

It was time that it did start getting nicer Willow decided.

“The light of the fire makes pretty patterns on your hair,” she said to Tara as she watched the flickering play over her lover’s pale skin as well.

“Your hair’s always on fire,” Tara replied slipping a hand up from the warm place in the bag to touch that hair and watch the dancing light caress it.

Willow smiled, “Sometimes the fire is burning hotter,” she said.

“Mmm, I think you’re right. Sometimes you, we, get really hot,” Tara was more than happy to play along in Willow’s little word game because it hearlded not sleep, and it was early yet, but… well more.

“We really do,” Willow confirmed and allowed her hand to cup Tara’s firm breast. That was one place that got warm… not the warmest place though. No, there was somewhere else that got far warmer than that as flesh swelled.

Tara let her head fall back, anticipating that it would be caught by a pillow as Willow held her stroked at her nipple. Instead her head hit the thin padding at the top of the sleeping bag. “Ow.”

It hadn’t really hurt, it was just like the shock really. She’d left the pillows, thin as they were, up on the bed and she’d meant to bring them down here before fastening them in. She looked round and could see them taunting her up there, on the other side of the small cabin. As pillows did sometimes.

“Oh baby,” Willow joked kissing her nose as her head lay back. “You want the pillows?”

“I think we might need them,” Tara told her. But she really didn’t want to get out of the sleeping bag and let their merged heat dissipate. Besides there was a little draft back there by the bed and that would be… Brrrr. “Otherwise we’ll have stiff necks in the morning.”

Willow knew what stiff necks meant, aside from obviously the pain. A lack of flexibility and flexibility was important sometimes. But she didn’t want to get up again either, she’d just warmed up thanks to her sweet Tara. And she didn’t want to be left alone either. “We can roll,” she suggested.

“Roll sweetie?”

“To the bed, reach up, grab the pillows and come back here to the fire,” Willow said. “All without stopping with the snugly fun.” It should work in theory, it was just a matter of timing and cooperation and those were something that they usually had down really well.

Tara looked doubtful though. That wasn’t going to anything but funny… if you were watching. There could be some interesting friction though.

“We can do it,” Willow assured her and knew that once she kissed Tara there wouldn’t be any more doubts. That was the way that things worked wasn't it? A kiss made everything work out for the best. And that was the way that it worked this time too.

“How do you, you know… think we should start?” Tara asked her. The sleeping bag was pretty snug after all when occupied by two. That had been an attraction in the warming up stakes and now it was a handicap?

“Well…” Willow experimented with how much they could actually move. She could get on top of Tara and then from there she could set them going by rolling off her again – as long as Tara compensated and followed her. Part of it was just a straight roll, it was the turning around to get the open end up towards the bed that was going to be tricky, but that should be possible – if they got the angles right. She moved on top of Tara and her lover smiled, obviously not minding the weight, as they rolled completely over from that position until it was reversed and they were a little way towards their destination.

“You like it up there?” Willow asked her mischievously.

Tara involved herself in a little beneath-the-covers caressing by way of an immediate answer… and being as they were pretty much all under the covers she could do whatever she pleased. “I like it.”

Willow rolled them again, though only because Tara let them and their positions were back where they’d started but half way to their destination with that movement.

“Hmm,” Tara said to her with a wide smile. “I say I like it and you just have to get back on top huh? You can’t help yourself can you sweetie?”

“Not when I’m with you, no,” Willow told her. Being on top wasn't a big thing – because Tara didn’t mean symbolically so much as the actual physical position. The symbolism… well they might still be having that delicious little struggle in a few more years. The way that they were going in both enjoying the other, wherever she was.

Still another flip and they were almost there, time to wiggle around and try and get an arm out to where pillows could be snagged. Wiggling, to Tara, was even more fun that rolling. Wiggling was flesh rubbing against flesh. Wiggling was pressure in places that desired that still pressure.

Wiggling was definitely heating things up again, and when Willow reached for the pillow, stretching over her lover’s face to get there, Tara found herself with a very tempting target that she just couldn’t resist locking on to. She sucked Willow’s hanging nipple into her mouth and realized that her love her had actually paused, supporting herself there so that she could savor the feel of Tara’s mouth on her for just a little longer than would be needed to grab the pillow.

So it was Willow’s arms strength, holding herself up, or it was Tara’s neck strength as she moved to capture that now taut nipple. Who could hold out the longest – the giver of sensation or the recipient? Who had the greater desire?

Well on the basis that Willow’s, temporarily at least, had been sated through a quivering, moaning, clasping orgasm Tara was guessing that it was hers. She wasn’t sure how Willow could have a greater desire than she had… But of course she had. She was Willow. She wanted to smile, but her mouth was full of her woman and that was always wonderful to know, feel and savor.

Willow, in her turn, savored the kisses, the sucking and the nibbling for as long as she could before her arm started to shake. It was all that was supporting her above Tara and the height wasn’t allowing her to lock her arm out – it was pure muscle. Eventually she was forced to bring her other hand to support herself and then her hanging breast as she looked at Tara’s face, was pulled from her love’s mouth.

She heard Tara sigh. She felt herself moan and grabbed the pillows from the bed then moved back down into the sleeping bag, feel Tara’s warm tongue lick from her breast to her throat and when she was level once more press itself into her mouth. This time there would be no rolling – she was staying on top. The wiggling had got Tara excited, she could tell from the heavier breathing, so wriggling it would be. Keeping hold of the pillows she started to encourage Tara to move them back. She’d hoped that she could keep their lips together but no such luck. They inched their way along the floor, but though she was moving as much as Tara, Willow knew that she wasn't really helping – at least not helping with the movement. Her wriggling was strictly to bring her into contact with those parts of Tara’s body that maybe needed her touch the most. The breasts rubbing against each other. Her thigh slipping between Tara’s as her lover moved them back towards the fire.

But that was okay, not helping, because not all of Tara’s movements were really about the movement were they? The way that she rubbed up against Willow’s thigh? No that wasn't helping with the movement at all. Except perhaps that Tara got more and more desperate to get back in front of the fire. She maneuvered them around and last shift was a roll because Tara wanted it to be. Tara was on top of her now and that was just fine too.

This time it was Willow’s lips that were on Tara’s nipple. She moved so that she could bring Willow’s raise thigh between her spread legs again and as her lover sucked at her she rubbed and pressed herself into the smooth skin, feeling it slip across her panties and dragging the fabric deliciously over her own most tender flesh. And Willow pushed back… Willow was always ready to support her when she needed something. Support her.

Caress her.

Suck her.

Rub her.

Get her off. She moaned and heard it echo around the spartan wooden walls of the cabin. The sounds of the passion Willow was inspiring in her sounded almost as good as they felt. She closed her eyes and let her hair hang down into her lovers face.

She could have… she really could… but….

Willow wasn't going to let it happen that way, that was more being used than giving anything to her baby. That was why she reached down, caressing Tara’s stomach and belly as her baby continued to rub herself into her.

That was why she insinuated her hand between Tara’s skin and her panties, between her legs, sought out Tara’s clit and let her fingers be the stimulation that Tara needed. All the stimulation that Tara needed. The cries that echoed around the cabin were much louder than the gentle snores that followed a little while afterwards.

The fire lasted longer than they’d thought.

Sede! Volve! Ecce, Latine scit. Felis bonem!
(Sit! Roll over! See, she understands Latin. Good Kitty!)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:29 pm 
Oops, I took SC to mean South Carolina as that's the state abbreviation! You're right that it's still too far though, about 24 hours of straight driving to get from Los Angeles to Seattle. Crater Lake is pretty far south in Oregon so it's about 16 hours from LA. I went there last winter and saw about 12 feet of snow. It was eerie driving through the tunnel like roads with snow drifts curving above you on both sides, but everything was well cleared and we made it to our cabin without any problems.

--

"Omnia mutantur, nihil interit." -- "Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:36 pm 
I was going to say... four days seemed excessive DMW, but then we still understated the trip*S*

Thanks though - I am stickler for being able to answer questions like this - even if no one asks!

Oh and no comment about the warming up? LOL

Katharyn

Chance in Chance.

------------------------

Edited by: Katharyn at: 12/20/02 10:38:19 am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 1:40 pm 
in·flu·en·tial adj : having or exercising influence or power

The last time I influenced anything, there was bail money involved.

scam·perer n : rushing about hastily in an undignified way

Undignified … now that’s me! :)

How about this instead?

influential scamperer One who runs like hell through the threads trying to escape the key stealer all the while trying to sneak into as many stories as possible in her effort to hide.

And while you didn’t find the key where you were looking, I hope you had fun searching :wink

As for my lack of patience, it was more because I didn’t think I would be able to log on when the daily update posted. I wish I hadn’t been able to. Sitting in a client’s office, I had a little time to kill. You know, use that down time productively.

I should have gone into another room.

It amazes me how you can say that it’s smut but you seem to be able make it so much more … natural is the only word I can think of at the moment. It works well. But I will add a :drool

And here I am waiting for the “let’s pick on Anya” club to get into the act (even rooting for it)and she’s being all caring and supportive of Xander. I know, she can be sweet sometimes, but I so love watching everyone rip at her. I’m sadistic in that way, I suppose.

So now they’re all snug and warm for the night. Looking forward to see what happens next …

--celia

Edited because of lack of brains :)

Edited by: tiredsoul at: 12/20/02 6:51:18 pm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:02 pm 
I've been lagging a chapter behind in my comments; I just read the wonderful warming up. I liked Tara's reminesces of their early days together, the initial warming of Willow, the wriggling of course, and just about all of it. (-;

--

Post subject: Katharyn and Forrister's Holiday Fic 2002
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:18 am 
Summary: They’re snowed in, its cold, they’re bored. Time to make their own fun.

Chapter 6

Dawn and Buffy were both looking out of the window when Xander finally dragged himself, wrapped in a blanket that Anya was now decrying the lack of, from bed and out to the kitchen to get them a coffee.

Best way to start the day.

Well he and Giles could agree on caffeine. It was just that the Englishman preferred tea, which no one else could ever brew to his satisfaction so no one offered and he never asked either. Not because anyone was being rude, it was just easier to wait until he was doing something else than feel you had to ask and then struggle with the intricacies of making tea as he actually liked it.

Better that than handling the polite silence regarding the colour or taste of the tea. It was an unspoken agreement that, in return, he wouldn’t try to make coffee.

He peered around the door, sniffled and coughed, and so of course Buffy noticed him, “Making a coffee Xander?”

“Its okay,” Dawn added, “Mr Giles is outside chopping wood.”

“Again?!” Giles was forever chopping wood. It had led Xander to speculate that it might be more to do with the axe – and liking it. He supposed it might make an English ex-librarian feel more manly, which was Anya’s theory on the seeming obsession. But then Anya seemed to like men being men. Theoretically. In actuality she liked Xander being manly – which was good – even if right now he felt distinctly unmanly. Sickness did that to guys… they became all weak and needy.

Anyway Xander had to admit that quite often Giles’ probably didn’t have a lot in his life that allowed him to feel manly.

“It’s for the fires, we’re keeping them going all day and most of the night too being as you are sick,” Buffy told him. “And he wants to feel useful being as he can barely see anything.” She wasn't quite sure that was entirely it though. After all how much wood could one cabin need? For four days. The baskets inside were full. The fires were kept fully stocked and there was a pile building up outside too. She saw Xander giving her his disbelieving look when she turned from the window, “So he says…” she added. She didn’t quite believe it herself. “But yeah, you can make a drink without having to do the tea thing.”

“Tea,” Dawn chimed in, “Bleh.”

“We should respect different cultures and traditions Dawn,” Buffy admonished her.

“Yeah, it’s not Giles fault that he’s English,” Xander said as he moved into the kitchenette.

“No its not… Wait. Respect cultures and traditions,” Buffy stressed again as Dawn smiled and they turned their attention back out of the window. She watched her sister gesture, tipping her head and did the same. “Oh.” She could see it.

Xander started making the coffee and their fascination with whatever was outside the window only caught his eye a few moments later. And it wasn't Giles, because he could see Giles out of this other window. The shopkeeper’s breath was a cloud around him as he, almost mechanically, chopped wood.

How was he doing that without being able to see? And what was with the five o’clock shadow… well pretty much midnight shadow. Any more shadow and they would be in bristly stubble territory.

It was Giles and it was definitely odd. He shivered.

Chop!

Thud.

Bend.

Replace.

Chop!

Thud.

Bend.

Replace.

The actions were mechanical and strangely hypnotic. Xander shook his head as the water boiled and he was back in the real world, where they didn’t need endless supplies of wood and where there were no teabags to be fished out of cups. Teabags, and Giles seemed to dislike them too, gave him the wiggins. They were fine going in, but when they came out all saggy and drippy… sometimes with tags hanging off them. Uggh. He shuddered. “Just so long as I don’t have to make his tea again,” Xander called out hoping to bring them back into his conversation but they were too engrossed in their own. People were supposed to pay attention when you were sick – it was in the rules. He the took the three full mugs in his hand and went over to them by the window.

Hearing the clink of the mugs as Xander went over to them Buffy took one of them off him with thanks and turned back to the window. Dawn turned and gave him one of those hopeful smiles that she was renowned for, with her hands in her pocket too damn her. She could have reached for a mug, but she didn’t. Instead she smiled that smiled that kind of forced you to comply – or at least to let Buffy take the lead in not allowing that to happen.

It was, after all, technically Anya’s coffee. But he would have handed it over to Dawn if it hadn’t been for Buffy’s intervention. Without even looking at her sister she just said, “No Dawn,” and at last Xander had the way out that he needed. He didn’t have to be weak for giving in, he didn’t have to delay Anya’s coffee and he didn’t have to be the bad guy either. And he could be responsible guy. The sick responsible guy.

“You know that you’re not supposed to have full caffeine coffee Dawn,” he said. That was the responsible thing to say. That was what a leader of men would say. That was the tone he took with his crew at work – friendly yet eminently responsible. It was just that his friends knew the Xander of old. The real Xander. “I mean you saw what it did to Willow.”

Dawn pouted and turned back to the window. It was true though… hyper Willow had been a salutary lesson in the dangers of caffeine.

“So what are my two favorite girls looking at?” Xander asked. Usually his crew didn’t pout though. They bitched but they didn’t generally pout. Except for Tito. Tito sometime pouted. And having said the words he was aware of Anya at his shoulder. “Of course I mean my two favorite girls after my absolute favorite girl.”

“And don’t you forget it,” Anya insisted and looked at Buffy and Dawn who were, as they often did, ignoring her to look at something else. Were those guilty looks? Or rather guilty non-looks? There were too many women in Xander’s life. Buffy, Dawn, Willow and Tara… and his mother.

Too many by far. She was supposed to be the only woman in his life now – that was what being engaged actually meant – even if it was still a secret. It had probably just been a joke or one of those ‘the way people are’ things.

She looked at Buffy again. Then Dawn. Probably a joke. Tara was obviously devoted to her girlfriend and that girlfriend insisted that she was gay… so Buffy was the main competition once again.

But she had him. Xander was hers. They were engaged. Possession was nine-tenths of the law and Xander knew so many of the things she’d done as a vengeance demon too. So instead of challenging his ill-advised words, and she thought that she might have had to deny him sex for a few hours if he hadn’t been sick for that, she instead asked where her coffee was and saw Dawn’s lips twitch into a pout.

What was going on there?

No. Buffy was the threat, she knew how Xander saw Dawn – just as she did. Little girl. Cute in the way that small, fluffy, pets were.

“What are we looking at?” she asked Xander cheerily and noticed that he was confused at her tactics. He’d no doubt been expecting more words about his ‘favorite girls’ slip. But no, Anya had been reading up and she knew that she had to be more tolerant of the male tendency to say whatever stupid thing came into their heads. They really couldn’t help it.

After all she was marrying Xander. She had to accept the fact that he was only a man. With man bits…

Xander smiled. He’d got away with it. That was something approaching a first. Yay me. Of course he didn’t say that… “I don’t know. I was just asking what we were looking at. Wasn't I girls? That was all that I was saying. And I brought Buffy a coffee. Just a coffee. And Dawn… I didn’t bring anything for Dawn because she’s too young for coffee and besides that one is yours my love.” He handed her the cup.

Buffy turned and looked at him as if he was… just being himself then tipped her head towards the window. “Out there,” she said and turned back to their contemplation. Maybe Xander and Anya could settle it, she and Dawn had been trying to decide for a while now.

“We think there are animals out there,” Dawn said.

“Like moooose?” Xander asked making his best effort to sound like a cartoon character, but his sore throat turned it into more of a rasping splutter towards the end.

“Like bushes,” Buffy replied, looking intently out of the window.

“Oh,” Xander exclaimed thinking carefully back to his high school science lessons before making a fool of himself. Double-checking in his memory. Bushes. Definitely the green things not usually described as animal. Sometimes animals lived in them… “You know Buff, you skipped a few lessons with Dr Gregory and so did I… Not being judgemental about that at all – there was end of the world stuff going on nearly every week at that time.” It had practically been timetabled. “But I sort of thing that bush’s fall into the vegetable portion of the whole animal, vegetable, mineral debate.”

“Yes,” Anya acknowledged, “and animals are well… animals. Not vegetables.” She thought about that for a moment. “Unless there is some sort of huge conspiracy going on to co-opt the vegetarians by feeding them animals.”

Xander looked at his girlfriend. “If I’d have said that…”

“Yes?” she asked with a sweetness that couldn’t be totally genuine.

“People would have said I was,” he paused and thought about it, “remarkably insightful and aware of the nature of conspiracies in the world today.”

Anya beamed and then wiped his nose for him.

“No,” Dawn said not wanting to listen to more Anya and Xander mushiness right now. “Out there, across the other side, by the trees, we think that there are bushes carved like animals.”

“Topiary,” Anya said.

“Bless you,” her fiancé said.

“Topiary is when you cut shapes out of bushes,” she explained patiently.

“Well I’m still learning something new everyday,” Buffy replied absently. She wasn’t really paying attention to them; she was looking at the snow-covered shape and trying to figure out what it might be supposed to look like – assuming it was one of those toe-pies. “I think that maybe it’s… a bush that shaped like a tiger.” She tilted her head the other way and assessed it again.

“You said a dog a minute ago,” Dawn reminded her.

“Well dogs are kind of like tigers,” Buffy explained. “Sort of. They have… ears.”

“You’re looking at the ears?” Xander asked her, squinting and tilting his head the same way as she had as he tried to make out what was out there.

“There,” Buffy pointed. “Below that branch,”

“I know where you mean, but I just don’t see tiger… or dog.” He sneezed again.

“Well you must be blind then,” Buffy said. “It’s obviously a tiger. Or possibly a dog. Maybe a moose,” she mused as she thought back to Xander’s earlier words. Perhaps he’d seen the moose shape and subconsciously picked up on that. The brain could play tricks like that.

“That’s not a moose,” he told her. “What do you think Dawn?” Better to canvas some opinion before he made quite so much a fool of himself as Buffy obviously was. He loved her, but she plainly couldn’t make out snow covered animal shapes carved into bushes at fifty paces.

“I’m just wondering why we’re talking about bushes without Tara and Willow,” Dawn replied with a huge mischievous grin.

Xander blinked.

Buffy paused, thinking.

Anya, after thinking for a moment, said, “They would be the experts at this.”

Buffy turned to look into at her sister. That was the second time in a couple of days that Dawn had made a remark like that. Which was fine, because it was all in fun and her sister loved the two young women, but it wasn’t the sort of thing that someone Dawn’s age should be saying.

She’d never said things like that had she? No. Not ever. She’d been the Slayer for a year already at Dawn’s age and she hadn’t been telling off-colour jokes at the same time.

Dawn saw her sister look at her in that disapproving way that she’d never really seen until Mom had died. “Not saying anything,” she added. “Willow’s just really into the science thing and Tara’s good with animals as well as studying art and… Wicca.” It sounded lame. She knew it did.

“I thought you were saying that Tara and Willow had made in depth studies of each others b-”

“Honey,” Xander laid a hand on her arm. “Not helping. So what do you think of these bushes – I mean topiary animals?” Anya was a little too forthright for Buffy to handle when she was trying to be cross with Dawn and that would lead to harsh words, because neither his fiancée or the Slayer had too much patience for being challenged. “Out there, you see?”

Anya looked and really couldn’t see what they were talking about. There were no dogs. There were no tigers and the only moose that there was would have walked by a few thousand years ago. “No. This is silly, why would people cut trees into the shape of animals when they could have the real animals just as easily?”

“They’re decorative,” Dawn said. “I think they’re kind of neat.”

“You don’t know what they are,” Anya said impatiently. “How can they be neat if you can’t tell what they are?”

“Err,” that stumped Dawn. What could she say to that? She looked back out of the window. And then she knew what to say. She knew what to say because she knew what that bush actually was supposed to look like. Better to sneak up on that though. More of an effect then. “Do you see the ears?” she asked. “They’re longer than we thought.”

“Yeah,” Buffy acknowledged. Dawn was right. Some snow had shifted and the ears were more prominent.

“What are you thinking Dawnster?” Xander asked.

“Yes, do tell us little girl,” Anya added cheerfully, trying to sound proud of whatever Dawn might discover. It was good to encourage the young.

Dawn hated it when anyone treated her like a child, which Xander never seemed to do, or Willow and Tara. Still sneaking up on it though. Big effect. Coming right up. “Maybe a donkey… they have big ears.” Just a little mislead.

Big ears. It was working. Anya took a step back and pointed, her mouth opening and closing. Anya knew what she was getting at already. Which made it even more fun.

“No not a donkey,” Buffy said, “see, the rest of it isn’t long enough.”

“Donkey’s don’t sit up like that either,” Xander added

“Okay,” Dawn offered, ready for it now… “not a donkey. What else has big ears and sits up like that?”

“B-”

“I really can’t think,” Dawn said.

“B-B-”

“Yeah, its Buffy honey, you know that,” Xander told his girlfriend. And he was the one who was sick, he was about to lay his hand on her forehead when…

“Bunny!” Anya cried, pointing out of the window. “Big Bush Bunny!”

Almost as one Xander and Buffy tipped their heads to one side. Dawn had already figured out the truth – that Anya was absolutely right but she joined them in pondering the nature of the bushes anyway. Anya and rabbits – there was more fun to be had there than in twenty goes at the ‘Game of Life’ which was getting a bit tiresome now that Anya and Xander were the only ones who would play.

Giles had got tired of most of jibes about most of his life being ‘behind him anyway’, Buffy officially ‘had no life because she was the Slayer’ and Anya kept winning. Even if she seemed to have no clue how to live her own life properly.

“Oh yeah,” Buffy remarked. “It is a bunny.”

Xander thought that maybe he’d better be doing the committed partner thing and so made his way over to Anya, getting into her line of sight so she didn’t have to look it any longer. Oh the horror.

“Now that you mention it,” Dawn went on, “It’s so life like.”

“Bunny, Xander.” She didn’t seem to be entirely with them.

“Yes Anya, but not a real one-” he started to comfort her.

“No, its much bigger than your usual bunny,” Dawn pointed out. “Bigger than Mr Giles.”

“Big Bunny, Xander.”

Was she broken? “Yes Anya, but its not a real rabbit,” he tried again to get through to her, but she kept peering around his shoulder to keep an eye on it.

Seeing Anya looking Dawn decided to push it just a little further – then she’d stop. “Its like its out there watching us, waiting for us to go out so it can bounce over-” Anya ran away babbling about Big Bouncing Bush Bunny’s and Dawn let her go with a laugh. It was only funny to a point and more than this would be needlessly cruel. Well perhaps not needlessly – Anya had been getting on all their nerves the past few days.

Maybe one more… “Anya,” she called, “You just have to think positive – like Big Bunny Bush. Think bush not bunny.” Every mention of the word bunny brought another scream and even Xander gave her an impressed smile before he went off to be Anya’s boyfriend again. As well as sick.

Back to boredom. Dawn kinda of wished that she’d got stranded with Tara and Willow instead of her sister and her friends. At least they’d be managing to find something interesting to do.

“It was a dark and stormy night.” Tara made herself more comfortable sat up against the pillows as she attempted to come up with another story to entertain her sweetie – after all they had to have a rest sometime. They had been swapping ghost stories for the last hour as they lay in bed. There was little really to do in the small cabin when you were, albeit temporarily physically and spiritually sated.

Unimpressed by Tara’s deliberately spooky low tones Willow looked up from where she was resting against Tara’s chest and interrupted impatiently. “Yes, I know that baby. As usual the windows are covered with snow, or the rain is thumping against them and it’s definitely as black as a lump of coal out there. It always is. You’d think that some ghosts would do their thing on a nice sunny day with no snow?” She sighed as Tara stroked her hair to comfort her. “Go on love, when does the story start?” It was better than nothing. She was regretting the fact that they didn’t even have a deck of cards whilst they were trapped in here.

“So you’ve heard this one?” Tara was rapidly running out of story ideas. They’d had a few good ones that they’d been able to trade. It had seemed a good idea at the time, telling spooky stories, but after a couple they were losing their appeal and besides the life that they led, and Willow for far longer than she, had surpassed most ghost stories anyway. Their activities with the Scooby Gang were pretty much you’re clichéd ghost stories well all was said and done.

Willow managed to look bored, even with her hair being caressed by Tara. “I think so. How long do you think we’re going to be stuck here for?” Not that the solitude was all bad. There were just times, times when you weren’t sleeping, that couldn’t be about being lovers. She was even more antsy because she didn’t even have her lap-top.

How had she let Tara persuade her not to bring that?

“Until the snow stops and we dig out the car and can drive it out of here - or we’re rescued” Tara replied in a logical fashion. That was just the way it was. It was like the “Are we there yet” line. It didn’t make time pass any faster.

“Or until spring thaw,” Willow retorted pessimistically. If it hadn’t been for Tara… well she would have been scared. Together though… well they could use their powers and they could probably figure a way to get to the others. If they really needed to they could try it. But they wouldn’t try that until things looked really bad. Messing with the elements… never a good idea if you could avoid it.

“Nah, if it comes to that we can always start walking.” Tara wasn’t keen on that idea, or Willow’s earlier suggestion that magic might be a partial solution, but if it came to it she thought they could make it down the mountain – as long as the snow stopped and they could see where they were going.

“In all this snow?” Willow wasn’t remotely convinced about a walk like that. If it came to it even magic seemed safer than that – if they were really careful. Tara was right though, they would have been drained by any spell they used… if that strength gave out then they might not last too long in the cold.

“True, it would be slow going, and cold.” Tara began to think how they could put together some makeshift snowshoes. They seemed to have forgotten to pack the tennis rackets.

Was this worst case planning really better than telling ghost stories? Willow had fought ghosts… they both had. She didn’t want this dwelling on their minds really – though she supposed that talking about it might be better now, whilst they were still alright.

“And wet. . . . . Don’t forget the wet bit.” While Willow was only vaguely aware of the dangers of their situation, but there were some aspects she was very familiar with. She’d already been caught out in the sleet when the weather had warmed a little and got absolutely soaked through. Some of her clothes were still drying by the fire even now.

Back home Tara had heard too many stories of the perils of being lost in heavy snow and she certainly didn’t want to leave the relative safety of the cabin unless there was no other choice at all. That meant the food running out, no wood for the fire or some other disaster. Until then, if they were careful with food, they should be fine. “I think we should be right here for few more days,” she told Willow as she caressed her hair.

“I think we should dig out the car and get the rest of the food out tomorrow morning.” They’d left it as a sort of refrigerator, but it was going to freeze if they left it. Willow went into planning mode. They just needed to pick the order that they ate the different foods in. “And we should get in as much wood as we can from nearby into the shed for the fire – at least then it’ll be dry when we need it.”

Tara smiled, at least Willow had snapped out of her miseries and was making plans. She seemed to have found a way out of the boredom too. Nothing like thinking about a potential crisis to spice things up. The way that Willow was teasing her… well that was adding spice too. “If you’re hungry hun, I can always slice up that cucumber and put it on slices of cheese.” The bread was still in the car.

“Kinda cheesy cucumber sandwiches?” Willow grinned. “ I don’t think I’m that hungry yet, though the idea the idea of bringing the cucumber out seems strangely appealing.”

"You bring it out and I'll definitely slice it." Tara threatened playfully. Cucumbers, even when Willow was joking, were something that she wasn’t about to contemplate. Tara thought it might be time to change the subject. “I wonder how the others are getting on?”

“Anya will be complaining, Xander will probably be sneezing if that cold came on any worse. Giles will be trying for some peace and quiet, letting the others do the work and supervising that. Dawn will be reading or pottering about the place looking for fun, and Buffy… I hope she’ll have a bit of a rest, she needs it.” Willow’s concern for her friend was transparent on her face.

Tara shared that concern, but she also thought that this was pretty much ideal for the Slayer. Just as Mr Giles intended. “Buffy will be with her family, she’ll be able to work things out.”

“What if they didn’t make it to their cabin before the storm hit though?” Willow asked. “What if they’re lost in the snow somewhere?” Willow sat up, suddenly fearful. “What if they think we are and they go out searching and then get lost that way?”

Tara pulled her back down against her chest where she’d been having a lovely warming influence and arranged the blankets back over them. No point in getting a chill over something they couldn’t do anything about. “I don’t think that they got up here after we did, they must have driven straight through, so they were here before the storm hit.”

“How do you figure that?” Willow asked, curious as Tara’s hand returned to her hair.

“Well, they didn’t meet us at the picnic grounds.” Tara reasoned. If they didn’t stop for a lunch as long as their own had been then they would have made up the time that the Magic Box had been open pretty quickly.

“Not that we noticed anyway.” Willow pointed out.

“True, we were somewhat… distracted at the time.” Tara smiled at the memory. Something that they’d done, shared and… well next time they would hide themselves away a little better.

“We could get distracted again if you like,” Willow offered playfully.

“Indoors though?” Tara checked. It was… cold.

“Silly,” Willow kissed her chin and let her fingers wander over smooth skin and fine hair.

“Well okay, it’s an offer I get every day… but how can I refuse?” Tara leaned over to kiss those lips she loved so much. She loved all of Willow. She intended to make love to all of Willow. It was a kiss that was only an entrée to the main course.

(To be continued)

Tempus fugit utrum ludis necne.
(Time flies, whether you're having fun or not.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:07 am 
Celia - Talking Oneself Down - def. = Bollocks. *S*

Though interested in that whole bail money thing LOL. You can be undignified with influence*S*

Key stealers? Aren't they our keys? Did you have fun wilst I looked for it though? For a moment I thought you were holding it very tight, but no *S*

Smut... my take on Smut (being as Kerry refuses to do it though she could be good at it!) is that it should be natural. I have no problem with being graphic, or using naughty words, but I think that the best smut (IMHO) is smut that continues the story in the style it was already being told rather than changing everything to tell it. Sometimes smut seems like it is divorced from the rest of the story. I try to imiate smut I like to read by making sure it is a part of the story as much as I can.

Lets pick on Anya... yeah there is more of that. Pretty much every scooby part I think. That is also natural and Kerry can be quite brutal to her*S*

And next... well it is already here.

DMW - Jetlag in fic... *S* Glad you liked it. We think that we broke the kittens or overloaded them or something*S* I mean hey... smut! ITs holiday season, last day of work for many... bound to be quiet.

Thanks for continuing to hang out round here and giving us what I need... feedback! *wink*

By the way... just curious but are you left handed? Its just you do our smilies a different way round to nearly everyone I have seen before. At first thought they were frowns!

Katharyn

Chance in Chance.

------------------------

Edited by: Katharyn at: 12/21/02 2:08:32 am

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:06 am 
Tito pouted - made me roll around in my chair laughing.

I am however embarrassed to say that I was trying to figure out why W/T would be good at figuring out the bushes, and then felt like a complete dummy when I finally got the innuendo. As for Anya and the Big Bunny Bush :lol :lol :lol

I don't know how I missed yesterday's frolicking, but I read it twice to make up for it. After all never can have too much of the making merry. Thanks for the update - have learned my lesson and will be more diligent in my checking.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:57 pm 
*Sonya begins reading the latest post and sheepishly puts down her freshly brewed cup of English tea she had just made herself..* (clearly hiding my rock & roll lifestyle :lol )

I've just caught up on this so I can now finally, leave feedback! Its like opening many days of an advent calendar at once. With the cheap sickly chocolates substituted with wonderful W/T frollicking fun. Well, as much frollicking as they can manage within the confines of a sleeping bag which, for W/T could no doubt be very much indeed.

Great story Kerry and Katharyn. You write Anya so well making the non-W/T storyline highly amusing. With lines such as , Anya had been reading up and she knew that she had to be more tolerant of the male tendency to say whatever stupid thing came into their heads. They really couldn’t help it.Just really lmao.

Now, will Willow and Tara find out they were spotted doing a little topiary of their own whilst at the picnic site? Not entirely sure if Tara would survive the embarassment. As for Willow, I can't decide whether she'd be highly embarassed, slightly smug and proud or all three.

Thanks to you both,

Sonya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:41 pm 
Poor sick Xander was made to make the coffee? *sniff*

I love Dawn here. She’s definitely got Anya’s number. And the “Big Bush Bunny” was too funny. And her off-color jokes are awesome. Even funnier that only Anya got it. Even snug and warm, being trapped in a cabin could be a little scary. Although the prospect of walking down the mountains in the cold and wet seems a little daunting as well.

The key? As aptly mentioned in this update … possession is nine-tenths of the law. I posess it, therefore it is mine :) You didn’t find it? Hmm, guess you didn’t look hard enough :p The bail story … Well, I’ll admit that I slightly encouraged those responsible but I was nice enough to post bond.

Oh the weather outside is frightful …

--celia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:21 pm 
*GRINS*

YAY...

MORE MORE MORE!

I would LOVE to be stranded somewhere with the love of my life!!!! :)

~NICK~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next