The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: oh wow oh wow oh wow!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:54 am 
hey jenny,

thank you for...everything. and for over-identifying with the babbling, obsessive-compulsive like I do.

and the oy ve! was for you girl! I was always a bit disappointed that Willow never got to say oy ve or oy gevault or shmatte (sp?)! such a waste... it would have made her even cuter. if that's possible.

yep. totally whipped.

xomelissa

Post subject: Re: oh wow oh wow oh wow!!!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:04 am 
ooooh, thanks melissa :p

you know I noticed the oy vey! I also very much liked F is for friend and for...totally fucked! Did I just think that? he he he. I can totally see willow going there in her mind, and then immediately being shocked at herself.

I actually came back to post again to tell you that I'm using your cheese line from S7 TF as my new footer. it's just so cute and so totally willow, I haven't been able to get it out of my head. and this is the first time I'm using a line not from the actual show, btw. TF rocks!!!!

love, jenny :wave

WILLOW: Why is it always the end of the world? Couldn’t it be the end of cheese or something?

Edited by: JewWitch18 at: 11/13/02 10:08:58 pm

Post subject: Many Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:22 am 
Thank you for a lovely read. I was sad to see that it was ending. You've really been able to capture some magic in your writing.

Autumn

-----------

BUFFY: I could wrestle naked in grease for a living and still be cleaner than after a shift at the Doublemeat.

WILLOW: Plus, I'd visit you at work every single day.

Post subject: Yoicks!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:59 am 
Hey Lipkandy--

"A Dictionary of Blue"--what a great concept! And we all want one, don't we--an endless array of words to capture our total enchantment with Tara's eyes...

God, you write Willow's inner world so well. I love the cadence and the repetition of her words: "Let Tara lead the way." It's like that becomes her mantra and gradually she learns to feel it, not just think it.

You know, Willow's a perfect fit for time travel (you're probably way ahead of me on this one, seeing as how you wrote this!): her mind works so incredibly quickly, and can encompass so many thougths and possibilities...It's like the perfect playground for Willow-Babble.

I love how you're circling your two works, drawing them closer. And the emotional tones--for TF-4, Willow's so full of excitement and vibrancy and hope; in TF-7, she's just so achingly sad and so much wiser but at such a cost. Is it tough to switch from one to the other? Because both have the ring of truth to them and I'm continually impressed at that.

Great work, woman. I can't wait to see where TF-7 goes!

Take care,

Mary

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:31 pm 
Again Tara had been researching the spell, I really love that her subconscious mind was in tune with what Willow was experiencing.

"Tara I know you’re in love with me" I thought this was important. All Willow's usual doubts and insecurities gone with this knowledge.

This was so lovely - thanks so much.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:48 pm 
Thank you a thousand times for this lovely story. :heart

It was breath taking and sweet as always. :)

I can't wait to read the next part of your season 7 story.

snuggle79 :wave

"I got so lost"

"I found you, i will always find you"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:25 pm 
I just read this in one go, and it was wonderful. Just wonderful. I haven't been reading it alongside the S7 version, so I'm going to have to think about parallels and the circling closer together that Mary mentioned, but this on its own was beautiful. Although this is of course about Tara, too, and about Willow and Tara, this is really a Willow story to me, and I thought that you had a perfect take on her character. She was simply, utterly herself. The places where she was thinking one thing and saying something else really worked, and you have her speech patterns down so well, I think you raised Willow Babble to an art form here. I also liked her constant references to notes and charts and graphs. I often read Willows that I like and recognize, but your Willow really came alive for me here. What a great story. I agree with Autumn that you captured some magic here. Oh, and I often find myself really liking your turns of phrase, as when you write "No echoes, just the brand new of this." It's just fresh.

Thank you.

"And I'm eating this banana. Lunchtime be damned!" -- Willow in "Doppelgangland

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:42 pm 
What a fantastic ending (or beginning, however you wanna look at it). I'm so glad you shared this -- and now, though angst is not what I want -- I'm heading over to S7 ... I can't NOT read it after reading this one.

JD

"Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind saying, "maybe..." (Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:47 pm 
Wonderful. I loved your take on the entire thing, and the ending was just so beautiful. :clap

Thanks for sharing

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 9:07 pm 
Lovely ending!! And wonderful story all around, i really enjoyed it! :)

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.

Tara: I said quirky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 10:12 pm 
I'm throwing my thanks in the ring with everybody else. This is a real achievement--thank you for sharing it with us. Your characterizations are so delightful and your prose so fresh that I hope you keep writing.

Otherwise I'll just have to keep reading this one over and over again. :)

Wow, that was so close to being empowering. --"Same Time, Same Place"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:17 pm 
Loved this fic!! Thanks for finally getting our girls together where they should be!!

~NICKOLE~

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:38 am 
thanks for reading everyone. I had a hard time ending this one. S4 Willow is such a great character to write...but I didn't want to keep it going with contrived plot twists or whatever. so the spell is broken. besides, as so many of you had pointed out, it was definitely time for the smoochies!

so feedbackfeedback:

jewwitch I'm quotable? wow! That's definitely a first. and yes, I think Willow clearly has a shockingly dirty mind, it just takes Tara to bring it out :)

autumn thank you and so was I (sad for it to end). then again, maybe it hasn't really ended. that darn device keeps turning up... and I think it's the magic of this board that makes it such fun to write.

antigone hey mary! thanks as always. and I think we all need a Dictionary of Blue for Tara. or maybe a thesaurus (oooh getting into sexy lit geek talk here :) and I see that I've missed 2 updates on Second Thought so I can beat my S4 Willow withdrawal with your beautifully written fic.

mollyig there's so much talk about Willow's brilliance and power that it often overshadows Tara's. I wanted it to be Willow's fic and her struggle, but the solution was meant to be their's. hope that came across.

snuggle hey! you've stuck by this from the beginning so thanks. and I'm glad I could make it sweet enough for you. 'cause S4 WT deserves no less :)

tulipp god do I love your feedback! okay, I love all the feedback:) but it's so nice to be deconstructed so thoughtfully without being torn apart (I'm working on revisions of a novel right now and going through hell!). this was such a great experience for me, writing Willow. it's been my mantra to my non-BTVS convert friends: willow (pre S6) is hands-down the best character ever to grace any screen anywhere (props to Alyson Hannigan). and thank you for noticing "the brand new of this" line. I actually stole it from my novel so it means a lot and...I'm getting off-topic again. see, I even think like S4 Willow when I'm not writing! ack!

jd so glad you liked it. and you must have liked it to risk the angst of S7. but I promise, it's all for a good cause. Sweetness and light is on order for S7 WT and not just fairy lights... :)

barnabasvamp thank you. I'm glad you liked the ending and thanks for sticking with me with all of your incredible feedback :)

missquirky thanks again for being one of the feedbackers (what?! hello, can we get a dictionary in here!) that I look for every time I post.

ruby hey girl! yes, I plan to keep writing. as long as you keep reading and writing the insightful, inspiring feedback:)

silverwingednemesis thanks! and it's their natural state so how could I disappoint? :)

again, thanks to everyone reading, posting and lurking. and mad props to the incredible mods who make the Pens happen. this place is truly unique.

and now I'm off to work on S7...

Edited by: lipkandy at: 11/14/02 5:46:02 pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:43 am 
I'll just echo what others have said...I loved this fic, the ending was just soo beautiful :D thank you so much for sharing :grin

--Michelle

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:31 am 
it is all about tara and second chances isn't it. sigh...

lovely!!!! loved it! cant wait to read up on season 7! only question i have is once willow got back in the last part nothing had really changed becuase it wasn't a true time machine but a spell that made her feel she went back in time until she finally kissed tara?

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:13 am 
pikescoob and I'll echo what I've said (and meant) to everyone else -- thank you for reading. 'cause writing it just to write would be kind of...pointless :) even though I've been known to do that (a couple of hundred pages worth that I've never posted)

rane018 my GF saw your post and even printed it out for me. yes, it's all about second chances. 'cause ME isn't going to give us one. and to answer your question (without giving too much away ) she actually did go back in time and collect the facts and kiss Tara, but because it was a spell and not a true time machine the kiss (and the events immediately surrounding it) was the only thing that changed (because it was the 'second chance' point of the spell). but of course, it changed everything.

If she hadn't stumbled onto the device, she and Tara (Ms. DoubleThink Insecurity (with the sash and everything) and First Runner Up (with the sash and everything)) either wouldn't have gotten together at all (thanks to Willow's disastrous babble in the hall and in Tara's room) or would have taken much, much longer. of course, when super-witch S7 Willow works her magic, things tend to get more complicated...uh-oh, beta reader's shaking her head. ack!

phew! that was a lot. and I really am off to write now! really!

xomel

Edited by: lipkandy at: 11/14/02 7:15:14 pm

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:05 am 
um... ok... i think i'll just... uh... heh... i'll just be over here waiting for the season 7 update... ;) so willow in season 7 is actually going to bum up this season 4 because this season four takes place before the point in season 7 or rather season four in season 7's fic that willow jumbled upon? lol... i dont even know what i'm saying. hugs

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:13 am 
Okay, I'll suspend the babble and just quote Willow -- "I'm overexplaining aren't I..."

the kiss was very real and S7 tempus fugit is (probably) going to effect S4 Tempus Fugit. and I'm sure that doesn't help 'cause it's all connected in a WillowLogic kind of way (which makes even my head hurt).

xomel

Post subject: Rock the Herbs!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:10 am 
What a great ending! It seems like Willow had to work hard once to win Tara, and now with her S7 self in this timeline-jinkies!

I'm sorry to see S4 end, but I know there's S7 goodness still to be had.

thanks-

hermitstull

"...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice, through the dark turns and noise of this wicked little town..."--Hedwig and the Angry Inch

"Stinky herbs are a go." Cordelia in Becoming pt. 2

Post subject: Re: Rock the Herbs!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:51 pm 
Forgive the bump one and all, but I just read this all in one go and had to add my WOWs and :clap . I haven't read S7 yet but it's next on my list. This was just absolutely gorgeous! I love the time bubble with the fairy lights spell. I could just see the lights in the room, the way they lit Tara's face, her look of wonder, the heat in the room. I could just babble on and on about how lush the story felt. The use of temperature and light just highlighted the emotions. Exquisite, just exquisite.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

Chinese Proverb.

Post subject: Re: Rock the Herbs!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:11 am 
new to the archive :) And you can still leave feedback!

Check out the companion season 7 fic

-------------------------------

Buffy?

Let's change it, the Discovery channel has koala bears.

Edited by: xita  at: 8/30/03 10:15 pm

Post subject: I feel really damned stupid...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:33 pm 
...for having missed this fic. Granted, I'm too much of a wuss to handle the angst in the Season 7 version of it so I came here but oh what a story I missed. LK, I apologise for missing out. It was well worth the four hours I spent reading the whole thing.

Cheers!

Toni

Love is tricky. It is never mundane or daily. You can never get used to it. You have to walk with it, then let it walk with you. You can never balk. It moves you like the tide. It takes you out to sea then lays you on the beach again. Today's struggling pain is the foundation for a certain stride through the heavens. You can run from it but you can never say no. It includes everyone."--Amy Tan "The Hundred Secret Secret Senses"

Post subject: Re: I feel really damned stupid...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:13 am 
hey kieli and trom,

glad you liked!! :) and four hours reading. wow! thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to read and for the wonderful feedback. I was worried that S4 was drifting away into obscurity.

and there may be another S4 version in the works -- Willow and Tara may be in the process of rewriting everything again.

xomel

and hey, what's up with this? -> :skull

Post subject: Just Had to Say....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:53 pm 
You know...I have read this fic an undisclosed amount of times...(too many to count)...and everytime I am riveted to my seat with tears in my eyes.

The emotions are so real and so believable....its like watching the scenes unfold in reality. Having been in several of those situations, I know the feelings...and you have so captured them perfectly.

Your writing is inspired and without question remarkable. Thank you ever so much for sharing something so special that I will be reading it over and over for a long time to come.

Post subject: Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:39 pm 
Okay just read the latest update for season 7 and had to come back and read this all over again. That was just such an awesome ending! The whole story was simply amazing. Thanks for that.

Post subject: Re: Feedback
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:51 am 
jessan15 wow. thank you for the beautiful feedback. I hope you know how much it means to me to read it. it's commentary like yours that inspires me to keep writing the fic. thanks.

marilda and comments like yours as well marilda :) I'm so glad you're reading them both. they belong together (kind of like W/T). at least I meant for them to be read together.

and thanks to everyone else who's reading.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:34 pm 
Wow that was great, sure beats the anatomy homework that I really have to do. Of course that will have ot wait longer as I am itching to read the season 7 story now. I really enjoyed this.

Oh and thanks to Michele for recommending it :kiss

Cheese. It's milk that you chew.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:37 pm 
hey puff,

guess I should check up on this more often. thanks! and a huge thanks to Michele too!! whoever you are :) (wait, should I know who you are??).

and I offered this in the S7 thread too, for all of you who can't take the eyestrain you can email me at melissa@lipkandy.com for a copy that you can print onto actual paper.

thanks again kittens you all rock!!!

xomel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:40 pm 
Okay, I finally sat down to read this in its entirity. Sorry for it taking me so long. I'm crap at keeping up with things once I start them. Stories, I mean. Stories. Not um, anything else...

Ho hum.

Anyway...

Quote:
Tara was thoughtful for a moment, a small smile playing over her lips."Yeah it’s cool, but you know, I’ve heard there’s this nifty new invention called a phone that you can use to actually arrange to meet someone at a certain place in time."

I love how you introduce us to Tara's character from the get go. Her humour is always something I've loved, and generally it's glossed over way too much for my tastes. That she feels comfortable enough and daring enough to tease Willow here is very sweet, and points to that "naughty" side of her that we don't often get to see. What a lovely characterisation point; you slip it in so well and deftly, and it just enhances how adorable they are with one another at this point in time.

Quote:
"Wow! Who died?"

Willow looked up to find her best friend standing over her. The room was dark and she hadn’t even heard Buffy come in. When Willow didn’t respond right away, Buffy’s mind began to race to the obvious Sunnydale conclusion."Oh, wait. God. Did someone die?"

I always loved that line in Dopplegangland, and here you use it really well, indicating that Buffy's breezy and pretty clueless. I do love the interaction between them though, especially as I love the way you write Buffy. Can't help feeling sorry for her in a way, because you know, she's just as dorky as Willow ever was sometimes, heh heh.

However, having said that, I do love how you emphasise the friendship between them. I always loved seeing how they stuck with one another, through the hard times as well as the good. Here you've established firmly that the notion of best friends is well and truly entrenched in the way that Buffy's there for Willow. Makes me all warm and fuzzy. But don't tell anyone; I have a reputation to protect. Ahem. ;)

Quote:
"Oh!" she backed up abruptly pulling her arm away from Tara without meaning to. "Oh." And that was all that she could seem to say. Her brain locked in an infinite loop on Tara’s last statement. She’s on a date. With a girl. Date. Girl. She dates girls. Tara dates girls. Like a complicated equation she had been working on subconsciously for weeks and maybe months and well, probably years that had suddenly arrived at one simple solution. "Oh."

Oh, hee, I love this. The short sentences as the truth finally hits poor Willow. It's so great that you're exploring this with her, and with us, too. I love the fact that Willow is, to all intents and purposes, pretty much in denial of her feelings for Tara and the manner in which they're choosing to manifest themselves. This is such a wonderful moment, particularly as I'm sure it's hardly the best situation in which Tara might tell Willow about her sexuality. You capture that wonderful balance between wanting to laugh, and wanting to clap my hand over my mouth in empathy. Poor Willow. Bless. So cute. :)

Quote:
Okay, so she was on a date. With a girl. With Rachel. I wonder if Rachel’s a witch. Maybe they do spells together. Oh god, what if they do spells together? Powerful spells? Willow blushed furiously at the memory of casting with the blonde witch. The intensity of it, the strength of the connection. What if they’re doing a spell right now? Tara doing a spell without me. With someone else.

Ah, wonderful. You know, despite the fact that it's a character trait of hers, there aren't many writers who can write Willow-babble convincingly. I love the connections she's leaping to here, and how, again, your short sentences just accentuate those thoughts flooding into her head and taking her on a real leap of feeling. This is so real; the internal babbling and seeing spells where there are none, heh. Lovely stuff; and subtle enough so as not to disturb the overall contemplation, too.

Quote:
Willow froze in the middle of the quad. Her mind was overwhelmed by a sudden electrical storm of activity – a huge, earth-shattering epiphany – all of the resources of her powerful psyche focusing on one overwhelming realization: I’m in love with her. That’s what this is. I’m in love with that girl. That perfect shy, quiet, sweet beautiful girl. Tara.

Ah, fantastic. I was waiting and waiting for the moment to hit Willow and you've described it perfectly here. I love that idea of it being an "overwhelming realization" - the mere fact that Willow, with all her brain power, hadn't made the simple connection between her feelings and her jealousy. And that she even considers that she's homophobic...hilarious. What a lovely moment, and how beautifully you move from the silent rampaging of her mind to her running towards Tara, as though she simply cannot wait another minute to share her news. There's a certain impetuous nature here that's just so very Willow, and you nail it.

Oh wow; that conversation between them was horribly real. The stuttering, the half confessions, the way that it all rushes out in a really inappropriate way; just lovely to read but also very painful. Tara's reaction was unexpected, but I do like that you didn't have them fall into one another's arms immediately. In fact, having them argue, and having Tara resist Willow's admission and raise her voice was closer, I think to a reality of a situation like that. Plus, the discussion about Tara being gay and Willow's reaction to that was something I love reading. I always found it a little odd that they could get to know one another and Tara would admit that she was gay to Willow and everything would be hugs and puppies. I love here how you have Willow say that it threw her for a second, but that in the long run it doesn't matter. And I'm getting the feeling too, that Tara also has some kind of issues surrounding her sexuality. I like that; that Tara feels awkward not having told Willow, but that she's nervous about having Willow know. Feelings for one another aside. This is a really sensitive and well-written scene that touches the nervous part of all of us, I think.

Quote:
Willow opened her eyes carefully, terrified that she would find herself in some nightmarish demon shower scene replete with her own Vamp self and definitely some kind of Faith-in-dominatrix-leather vision.

Ooh, I wish. ;)

Okay, so the box is a time machine. I'm always intrigued by time travel stories, mainly because there's that whole notion of cause and effect going on. Here, you've got Willow desperately trying not to change the course of events over the previous month, when in fact, she's already doing that. I love how she's taking her memories with her back through time; that must be fantastic in the way that it enables her to re-process so many things going on between her and Tara. And Tara comes out to Willow, and thank god, it's handled a whole lot better this time, heh. I love how the inner turmoil is raging on whilst Willow's attempting to "act normal". You combine the speed of that really well with the pacing of the scene between them here, and I love how it feels like Willow's constantly holding back all the time, although all she wants to do is rush forward and tell Tara how she feels. There's a real sense of tension here, and I just love that. This line, particularly, summed it up for me:
Quote:
And the world stretched out again, expanding the space between them exponentially with each heartbeat

Ooh, okay, I see how you're dealing with the time travel now. Very clever. And I like the notion that in some way, Willow is going back through time to realise things about herself, and her relationship with Tara that she never did at the time. God, that's lovely; I've always wanted to play out scenes with people knowing then what I do now, if you know what I mean, heh. This is lovely; the scene where they're in bed together and how much it means to Willow now, as opposed to Willow then.

And finally, they figure it out. I love how Tara's the one to get all researchy and prove her intelligence to the brain that is Willow. And I love the underlying theme here, that second chances can and do happen, especially between them. Thank God Willow finally got it together enough to kiss Tara. Oh, and yes, everything's always about Tara. I do so love that all-consuming tenet by which Willow lives. It's romantic and true and just lovely to read. :)

Sigh.

That's pretty much my feedback for the whole of the last part of this. You got it. And boy, it's great to read.

Thanks for this, lipkandy. What a lovely story; now I'm going to haul my sorry arse over to your Season 7 story and remind myself of what I've read and then get to grips with what I haven't.

Ah, romance. Is there anything better in this world? :)

"Cheese board now." ~ Blue Stilton Willow

Post subject: Re: damn that was good
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:42 pm 
I loved this story. Lots of w/t goodness with a twist. It's all about the twists.