The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe - Willow & Tara Forever

General Chat  || Kitten  || WaV  || Pens  || Mi2  || GMP  || TiE  || FAQ  || Feed - The Kitten, the Witches and the Bad Wardrobe

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: NEW FIC -- TEMPUS FUGIT (S4)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:57 am 
I love this so far. I always enjoyed the fics that had different ways of them meeting...or taking their own route from the orignal meeting. I can't wait to read more.

Katie

--------------
She practically had genuine molded plastic stamped on her ass.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:26 am 
Just came by from S7 to say that I love this part too! You've got season four Willow and Tara down to a tee!

I've never read a parallel story like this one that's being posted at the same time. It's a fantastic idea.

hermitstull

"...and if you've got no other choice, you know you can follow my voice, through the dark turns and noise of this wicked little town..."--Hedwig and the Angry Inch

"Stinky herbs are a go." Cordelia in Becoming pt. 2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:29 am 
Hey Lipkandy--I so enjoy reading your depiction of Willow's inner world..."the confusing mix of disgust and arousal," e.g. And the idea of her mapping out her feelings with charts and graphs--oh God, I loved that image. I could just see her, w/ her graph paper and a little compass...

You also do a really nice job maintaining tension b/w them

w/o it feeling contrived. Willlow's an external processor; Tara has always lived her life inside of her own heart and mind. I just really enjoy their interactions in this fic.

And thanks for the kind words about "O.S.T." I really appreciate them, and hereby excitedly sign up for mutual gush-festing.

Mary

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:27 am 
i'm totally loving this fic but i dont get it... we're supposed to read both season 4 and 7 at the same time? wouldn't it be easier to read season 4 first and then 7 or seven first and then four? oh to hell with it, i'm off to read season 7. but if it helps for you to write faster, cause i'm like in need of updates here pronto ;) , finish writing one season at a time sounds like the safest option. but then again i'm not the writer. hehe... hugs!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:38 am 
This is a great story!! I love the early WT fics, yet this one is somehow linked to the season 7 one hmmmmmmm......how intreguing :hmm . I really like this last update Willows internal dialouge was very much like I would have imagined it, I could visualize AH and AB playing out this scene very well, great job.

:)

sigh.......Is it difficult or time consuming? Anya

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:56 pm 
OMG...emotions up and down, just all over the place. I really felt for W/T in this part. Tara sad about Will's reaction earlier and then Will trying to declare her love for her and Tara doesn't believe it...oh man...so sad right now but you did warn about the angst :) Lookin' forward to more :D

--Michelle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:57 pm 
This is absolutely great.

And that thought
Quote:
hello, I can't even make things work with the boys and girls are so much smarter...
is not completely unfamiliar...

I hope there'll be an update soon. Can't stand to have them suffering like this :(

Wenn Du denkst, Du denkst, dann denkst Du nur, Du denkst, denn beim Denken der Gedanken kommst Du nur auf den Gedanken, daß das Denken der Gedanken ein gedankenloses Denken ist.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:25 pm 
That was sooo great! Damn Will sure had her babble set on high... but i always like her babble. :D Even though Tara didn't say it i know she's in love w/ Willow too and hopefully she'll get the strength to confront Willow bout it - or Willow could do the confronting and go to Tara and just talk to her. Well whatever happens it will be good... can't wait 4 yer next update! :)

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.

Tara: I said quirky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:21 pm 
Gotta love Willow babble...and you did it so well :grin

Each of them so torn about their emotions, yet neither able to really do something about it!

Can't wait for more

BV

"In front of total strangers won't you kiss me, Flowers for no reason but you miss me - OOH, I wanna be in love"

Melissa Etheridge-Skin

Post subject: Part III
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:31 pm 
okay, head exploding so no feedback to feedback now just the update.

and a little explanation for everybody. no Rane, you're not the only one who's confused. my GF is beta-ing and she's completely confused (and she knows how both stories end!). basically, these are two separate AUs that use the same 'device' to different ends. they also reference each other a bit (S7 Willow will remember events that happen in tempus fugit S4) for backstory. so that probably clears nothing up, but...

on with the fic

Part III
When she finally returned from a long shower she was feeling much better. The warm water and relative solitude of the stall made it easier for her to relax, allowing her to let out her emotions without fear of interruption for almost an hour. But as she made her way back down the carpeted hallway to her room it all began to boil to the surface again. It started when two girls passed her in the hall holding hands nervously. As she fumbled for her keys in front of her door she could smell jasmine and almonds, a combination that immediately equaled Tara in her mind. For a moment, she allowed herself a small hope that Tara had come to her room to talk, but there was no sign of the blonde witch. Just those two girls talking intimately outside a door down the hall.
One of them must use the same shampoo as Tara, Willow thought dejected and then made her way into her empty dorm room.

But it wasn’t empty. A discarded cup from the Espresso Pump sat on Buffy’s desk reminding her immediately of the night’s events and humiliations. The redhead turned to find a photo strip of herself and Tara lying on her nightstand. She smiled as she remembered the afternoon in the mall. She had practically dragged Tara into the booth and the blonde was so camera shy she had hidden her face in Willow’s hair in all but one of the frames. Tears began to well up in her eyes again. If she had just…

"No. Not gonna go there right now." Willow’s features set in her trademark resolve face as she made her way to the bed. Well, at least there’s the wiggins box. That should distract me for a while.

She looked at her watch, which read 11:13. Okay, well, that’s only two more hours ‘til I can actually fall asleep, so let’s go mr. Wiggins. The redhead carefully opened the box to find a beautifully crafted metal object nested in black velvet. A series of small stars was etched into its otherwise seamless surface, but their arrangement seemed random. Not a constellation, or at least not one I recognize, which brought the redhead painfully back to the blonde witch and her strange universe of unique constellations. Well, if you close one eye it could be the Big Pineapple. With a deep inhale she forced her thoughts back to the task at hand, carefully withdrawing the delicate-looking item from the box to turn it over. Again, there was no seam, nothing that hinted at the object’s use. She sighed again and began to return the starry object to the box when she felt it, a rough spot under the sensitive pad of her index finger. Closer inspection revealed nearly microscopic writing etched into the unnaturally smooth surface of the metal. Willow searched for a magnifying glass in the nightstand and turned it to the silvery surface to read, spelling out one letter at a time.
"T-E-M-P…oh! Tempus fugit?"

As soon as the words were spoken Willow threw a hand up to cover her mouth, but it was too late, the spell was cast. She could feel the charge building in the room like a storm. The first thing she felt was a strange stretching sensation as if her body and everything in the universe was being flattened and expanded simultaneously. For a terrifying nanosecond she was sure she would be torn apart by the powerful force of the spell and then the sensation changed. She was cold, unbelievably cold and the universe seemed to be rolling her up into a smaller and smaller space the size of a point. A one dimensional object.
…and then water. Very warm water pouring over her…naked skin? And her face was wet with something else. Tears? What the…?

Willow opened her eyes carefully, terrified that she would find herself in some nightmarish demon shower scene replete with her own Vamp self and definitely some kind of Faith-in-dominatrix-leather vision. But as her eyes slowly adjusted she could tell that she was surrounded by white tile. Oh god, maybe I’m in some kind of doctor hell with speculums and…oh, or I teleported into one of the Initiative’s scary demon-experimentation places.

She looked around panicked until her eyes finally rested on the familiar shape and color of…her shampoo bottle and shower kit? As she allowed herself to take in the rest of her surroundings she let out a long sigh of relief. I’m in the shower. The shower down the hall. But her relief quickly vanished. What am I doing in the shower? I just got out of the shower.

As her mind cycled rapidly through the strange events of the past few minutes, Willow’s eyes fell on her trusty wristwatch. The big, black, clunky, dependable plastic one that Buffy made fun of daily, but Willow insisted on wearing everywhere including the shower because she always needed to know the time. Not that she was obsessive-compulsive about checking the time or anything it was just that she was proud of that watch. It had survived four apocalypses and two demon encounters without a scratch. How could she ever abandon that watch? By all rights it was a Scooby too. 10:27. She stared at the glowing digital display until the cute little blocks on the display rearranged to show that it was now 10:28. What are you doing standing here staring at your watch? You’re wasting time Willow.
Time…time... And that meant something somehow…

"Time flies!" Willow yelped and winced as her words echoed off the hard tiles around her. "Oh my god, it’s a time machine," she muttered softly and began to hastily collect her things barely remembering to throw her robe around herself. As she hurried down the hall her mind raced through all of the potential magical and physical implications. Well, if I was a one-dimensional point then string theory definitely has-

She froze mid-stride as she turned the corner to her dorm room. Tara stood in front of the doorway to their room with her shoulders hunched as if she was carrying a terrible weight.

Willow pressed herself against the wall and ran through possible options: a)go back to the shower and hide b) run away, which wasn’t really an option given her current wardrobe – well, there was that one guy who walked around in his pajamas all the time…or c)walk over to the blonde… but then what? What would they talk about?

And why is Tara here? The answer swept over the redhead like an icy chill. Oh my God, she wants to talk. She wants to talk about the I-love-you explosion in her room. And we’re gonna have that conversation…that "I’m sorry I just don’t feel that way about you" speech and I just can’t take it right now. Not after Oz…not to mention Xander and Jessie and…

And then she remembered the box. The time machine. I’m not in the right time. This isn’t me. And what if there’s another me in the room? Or what if I’m stuck here, like, forever? Oh God, I’m definitely gonna need Tara to help me figure this out so no running. No hiding. Just drastic verbal evasive maneuvers.

With a deep breath, Willow pulled the robe tightly around her body and put on her best resolve face – for herself. She was the one who needed resolve tonight.

"Hey, Tara" The blonde turned in one graceful movement, her lips twisting into a cautious smile as she faced the redhead. Willow willed her legs to propel her forward. Nothing happened. Nothing’s changed. The blonde’s eyes were still red-rimmed and swollen, but Willow forced herself to look past them, around them, anywhere but directly into the blue.

"Willow…I, I w-wanted to ex-p-p-lain—" Tara began, stuttering badly and Willow’s heart nearly broke. She knew that Tara’s stuttering grew worse when she was under stress and I caused it. I’m the cause of Tara-stress.

But she loved Tara-stutter. It forced her to stop her internal rambling for whole seconds at a time. A welcome reminder that she didn’t need to fill every moment with defensive chatter. And more importantly, it gave her an excuse to study the blonde’s features and expressions. And she’s so cute when she stutters. The way she looks up every few seconds to make sure I’m listening and… I’m not listening. Okay, focus. Tara talking, me listening…

Willow forced herself back to the blonde’s halting words,"…s-such good f-friends and I d-d-don’t w-want to r-ruin…" It felt like the time machine all over again, like an enormous force was compressing her into a smaller and smaller point, but she knew it wasn’t the spell. Oh God, she said the f-word! Friends. She wants to be all friendly with the platonic non-smoochiness and… this is not happening, this can’t be happening…

"Friends!" Willow blurted out finally stopping Tara. "Yep, that’s what we are…good friends." Nodding emphatically she finally risked a glance at Tara’s face and found what she most dreaded – a frown -- deep lines forming between the blonde’s perfectly sculpted eyebrows. To her horror her eyes began to involuntarily drift lower, to the low-cut shirt Tara had worn on her date. Stop! She’s telling you she just wants to be friends and you’re checking her out!

Willow guiltily glanced away clutching at her robe to pull it closed where her own chest was exposed. "And I’m sorry about…" Willow paused to roll her eyes at her sudden inability to find anything to say. "…you know…earlier and everything with the babble and…friends right? ‘Cause…that’s better and…" she trailed off with a heavy sigh and looked at the floor.

Tara winced once and seemed to sink into herself."Okay," she offered simply with a slight nod and let her hair fall in front of her eyes.

They stood that way for long moments, both with their arms wrapped tightly around themselves as they faced each other under the fluorescent hall lights and let the moment slip away. Everything in Willow’s mind and body wanted to scream Tara’s name. To explain with kisses and perfect poetry that Tara was the everything and the all. Yeah, and that would make this so much easier for her. The girl is already totally traumatized so just let it go and keep your mouth shut for once! Tara sniffed quietly and Willow checked her watch automatically to find that it was 11:09. Okay, I’m off schedule. I usually check my watch every ten minutes and…
Time…

Her train of thought was interrupted by the appearance of two girls rounding the corner, their hands clasped tightly between them. The same two girls. Willow’s stomach turned over at the sight and then her other senses finally caught up with her. She could smell jasmine and sandalwood and…Tara. The hand-holdy girls, that smell…

"You were here before!" Willow’s head snapped to the blonde to find that she was staring at the two girls with a pained expression on her face.

"No, I j-just got here."

"No, I mean the first time this happened I came back from the shower a lot later and I could smell you, but I thought it was their shampoo or something but it was you," she realized that it might sound strange that she knew what the blonde smelled like. But she needed Tara to understand.

"Willow?"

"Something’s wrong," Willow turned and opened the door to their room. "See, Buffy gave me this box with a metal thingy in it that she got off this demon and…" she placed her shower kit back and turned to the bed to find the box empty. "It’s gone!"

"What?" Tara asked. "Willow what’s wrong?" And Willow saw in Tara’s expression that the blonde had moved beyond their awkward conversation to her usual concern, ready to assist no matter what the danger.

How did I get so lucky…even if she just wants to be friends and I can handle that…really. Handling it…back to business Rosenburg. You have bigger things to worry about.

"Tara this isn’t right. I’m in the wrong time."

Back to business…bigger things to worry about.

"Wrong t-time?" Tara asked gently, confusion clouding her features.

Just friends…

"Tara I’m stuck in…" but the words were lost as the universe began to stretch again. She watched in horror as Tara’s beautiful features blurred and shifted.

Nothing’s changed...

to be continued...

Post subject: Re: Part III
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:45 pm 
Ooooooh, I love this. I'm gonna go re-read it (again). I'll have read it 4 times before you update again, but I don't care.

This story is so good. I've kept away from S7 b/c I can't handle the angst right now. BUt I'm getting more and more tempted as I read S4.

JD

"Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind saying, "maybe..." (Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:03 am 
Willow's habitual watch wearing because she always needed to know the time. That's me!

drastic verbal evasive maneuvers I think Willow would excel at this.

Yikes, not sure how the spell has affected this Willow. Most wonderfully intriguing.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:21 am 
Cool update! I'm getting just a little bit confused...what's the reality and which part is the spell..? :hmm

Can't wait for answers! :)

Snuggle79 :wave

--------------

"I got so lost"

"I found you, i will always find you"

Edited by: snuggle79 at: 10/25/02 4:22:19 pm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:05 am 
Oh, Lipkandy, you tricky thing, you...You have my head spinning in all the best ways with this fic. (And I'm loving how you're approaching the simultaneous fic pieces; I have a rough image of how it might spiral together but regardless of how close to reality I am, the reading of both pieces promises to be a treat!) Very inspired to use smell as a trigger, since it's so intimately related to memory. Ah oh, my heart just aches for both of them...Neither one expects to get what she really wants, does she? Breaks my heart...

As always, I love your humor. Gotta say, the Faith-in-dominatrix-leather image didn't necessarily denote hell to me in the way it did to Willow, but that's probably just me... And the watch's nomination to Scooby-hood--that's perfect, especially in a piece like this!

I hope your head's feeling better.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:46 pm 
I can't believe I totally missed this update. Sorry. It was great and I can't wait until Willow and Tara sort it out and realize that they both want what Will wants.

"The only thing Willow had...I had going for me were the moments...just moments, when Tara would look at me, and I was wonderful."

~Willow.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:10 pm 
Great update! A bit confussing but i think i got it. ;) Can't wait 4 more! :grin

~Ashley~

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:27 am 
AHHHHH!! My brain hurts I am all with the confusion :confused I can't wait for more :grin

sigh.......Is it difficult or time consuming? Anya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:14 pm 
Willow is a watch freak sounds like somebody I know. I like this alot will wait for the next update.

Tara: Assume Crash

Positions

Post subject: Re: Part II
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:53 pm 
Just read the latest, fantastic update to Tempus Fugit (S7) and immediately had to come back and re-read this thread. Very clever the way you are referencing this fic as the original past for your other fic. I like the way that they work as separate stories but, when read together, each adds to the enjoyment of the other.

Kinda like how on the show, knowing what happened in earlier seasons gave added meaning to later episodes and then rewatching earlier episodes knowing what came after gave them added resonance and poignancy. (Of course that creates a problem now as it's hard to watch earlier seasons without them being tainted by what happened in S6).

Anyway it was interesting seeing little parallels between the two fics. In both Willow is missing her previous friendship with Buffy although their relationship is very different in the two fics.

Then in this fic Willow finds Tara crying over her whereas in the S7 fic Tara finds Willow crying over her. Plus second time around I couldn't help noticing that Tara's reaction when Willow has told her she is in love with her, like Willow's reaction when she thinks that Tara just wants to be friends is to think, 'It's not possible, this can't be happening.' which became a recurring refrain in the S7 update.

By the way, I loved Willow thinking, 'Oh God, she said the f-word! She wants to be all friendly with the platonic non-smootchiness.' It made me laugh, I've been there too many times myself.

Also loved;

'That was, in the words of her grandfather, quite a matzoh ball hanging between them.'Lol.

These fics are great. I love them both and especially how different Willow is in each. S4 Willow is absolutely adorable and reading this fic makes me realize how much I miss her. Can't wait for an update. Thanks for a terrific read.

----------------------------------------------------
'A little tongue, Miss Astley dear? '

from Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:26 am 
Someone sent me over here to read your fic and I am so glad I came over. I read it in one go and I am totally enthralled. It's so different yet totally believable. And I am curious as to how this device will help, though I think it will hinder for a while. Anyway, now to read season 7, i can handle a little angst.

-------------------------------

Buffy?

Let's change it, the Discovery channel has koala bears.

Post subject: Part IV
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 4:35 am 
yes, finally an update. and I have a lot of catching up to do on the feedback front so here goes:

mollyig yeah, I think S4 Tara's self-worth is so low she can't imagine someone like Willow being interested. and I had to stop wearing a watch because of my OC time-checking.

amberbensontotallyrules there will be smoochies...promise.

snuggle but I love Willowbabble so... overidentify much?

hotfoot and I thank you again

jd thank you and yes I remember paper airplanes. actually, I delurked (or is that I was deflowered) for paper airplanes. so it holds a special place in my...um...heart. yeah.

centauri thank you for the cool feedback! and yes, I'm gonna try to do the everyone has a go fic (though I still think it sounds like an orgy fic) if RL would just stop kicking my ass for a second!!

misscalendar thanks. yeah, I think there was a bit of false advertising involved in that angst-free statement. there's angst, it's just not of the love of your life-shot-through-the-heart variety.
ack! and you posted again before I could respond. I love the parallels you're finding between the fics and I miss S4 Willow too!!!

grimlock yes, poor little straight girl Willow was locked in her hetero rut. it didn't help that her world at the time was dominated by ex-Oz and buffy/riley. and believe it or not, I'm kind of drawing on person experience for a lot of this angsty tension. of course, it's all exaggerated to fit the buffyverse.

katydid thanks for reading!

antigone hey mary, I feel like we're sisters in this weird way since we both posted our first fics at the same time. glad the tension is working. and faith in leather isn't my idea of hell either but...

aiscool yeah, I try to keep that image of Tara trying to give Willow the doll's eye crystal in my mind. that kind of sums it all up for me. clueless willow and crushed Tara.

pikescoob sorry for the lack of angst warning. there will be more, but our girls will work it out

kukalaka thanks and they won't suffer for too long. but Tara's suffered a lot longer than Willow. Willow's just gotta figure things out and all will be good.

missquirky thanks! and yes, it will all be good...eventually.

barnabasvamp thanks. I take pride in my love of willowbabble.

xita WOW! so glad you liked it. I was hoping you'd stop by and yes, you're right, it's definitely going to hinder for a while. then again, maybe Willow just needs time...

okay, on with the fic...

Part IV

"—some kind of time loop!"

The bright sunlight of a late California afternoon lit the world around her, which couldn’t be right because it was night and…the time machine. Her eyes, she discovered, were scanning a group of dangerously perfect sorority girls and she was walking. Walking in the quad and talking. Or at least she had been until she had interrupted herself.

So I must be walking with someone. Walking and talking…only I’m doing most of the talking. Willow slowly became aware of a warm arm and shoulder gently bumping against her own as they walked. She knew without looking that it was Tara. Each moment of contact made her shiver, made the air around them hum. What is going on? If it’s a time machine shouldn’t I be going back in time as myself or something. I mean, I should be standing here in my robe with wet hair and…this seems really familiar.

She slowed to a halt.

"Willow?"

Wow. Does she know what my name sounds like on her lips? What her mouth does to those two syllables? Rolling them on her tongue like…

"Willow?" …that.

Willow closed her eyes and swallowed as she turned to face Tara, opening her eyes to an amused smile on the blonde’s face. Tara’s eyes were bright blue and there were no tears.

"Um…what was I saying?" Willow finally managed.

Tara smiled and dipped her head, looking up through her hair with a glint in her eyes that could only be described as mischievous.

"Well, it started out as a d-diatribe against SUVs and g-greenhouse emissions and then I think it veered into something about f-frogs and the fragility of the food chain…" she bumped Willow’s arm with her own playfully, "and then s-suddenly we were on to time loops."

"So, your basic, generic Willow babble."

SUVs and frogs, we’re in the quad… and is she flirting with me?

Tara ducked her head and laughed and Willow felt as if the world was made of helium. As if every molecule in her body had suddenly decided to spontaneously change states from a solid to a gas. Everything in Willow wanted to float away with that laugh.

"Oh, uh, I don’t think anything about you is generic," the shy blonde said finally without a stutter, holding green eyes for several moments.

Okay, shake it off…this is Tara. She doesn’t flirt. And especially not with you. We have firmly established that you would never be the flirt-ee where Tara is concerned.

She studied Tara’s clothes for some clue as to where or when they were. Grey cargo pants and a baseball shirt with those cute orange Pumas. Okay, that’s no help. Oh, oh! Watch! She checked the date and went back through her mental rolodex for some kind of reference, but came up blank. The fourteenth. The fourteenth. That’s almost a month ago, which means…

Someone in a dorm to her left chose that moment to blast a Dingo’s song at top volume and it all fell into place. The quad, the fourteenth. She could now picture the page in her filofax, which was currently adding about fifty pounds of weight to her thousand pound backpack: ‘twenty pages of Tess’ written in green because England was all with the green bucolic scenes; ‘ChemLab’ in gold because of the traditional ties to alchemy of course; and ‘spells with Tara’ written in big purple letters outlined in pink.

So that means…oh, that’s right! I hear the Dingo’s song and go all weepy and we go back to Tara’s dorm room and she makes me tea…oh God, and I go on and on and on about Oz for, like, a week. No wonder she’s not interested in me.

She returned her attention to her surroundings and listened intently to the broken strains of the familiar song…and nothing. She felt nothing.

It’s not even a very good song…

"Are you o-okay?"

But I’m back in time so if I change anything it could lead to an apocalypse, or someone could die or the Republicans could take the White House. So I have to do everything exactly the same. But how am I gonna do that? I’ve already done things differently.

She sucked in an enormous breath and steeled herself for an Oscar-worthy performance.

Okay, time to get with the crying. I am all about the crying and weeping…starting now…

She waited for the tears, but there was nothing. Finally, she brought a picture of Oz to her mind: that night he had rejected her followed closely by and image of Oz and Veruca naked together. It was painful and she felt her face flush with humiliation, but there were still no tears. The overwhelming grief she had harbored for so long seemed to have evaporated. Her eyes were completely dry and seemed to have a mind of their own as they drifted to Tara’s soft features, her lovely smile that was rapidly fading. Those perfect lips curved in a soft line….

Was it always like this…with the heat…down there… and the… oh my! Willow winced at her own lascivious thoughts and disturbing involuntary physical response. Tara’s smile faded a bit more.

"It’s a Dingo’s song," she offered quickly and then tried to frown with sadness.

The blonde reached out automatically, placing her hand on the bare skin of Willow’s arm.

"I’m sorry. Are you okay?"

"Mmm-hmmm," came Willow’s distracted reply. Cry already! The future of the planet rests on your shoulders. Okay, maybe you’re overestimating your importance in the grand scheme of things here…

"D-do you want to g-g-go to m-my r-r-r…" Tara stopped abruptly and closed her eyes, frustrated by her inability to speak clearly.

"I’d love to go to your room Tara," Willow said gently and placed her hand over Tara’s. The blonde’s face turned bright red and she looked around nervously before removing her hand from Willow’s.

They walked through Tara’s dorm in silence. The hallways were identical to those in her own dorm. Not the warmth of wood or stone just non-descript plaster and concrete. Modern design – the curse of a California upbringing.

Willow noticed that Tara glanced her way often, smiling brightly when Willow’s eyes met hers.

Even under the horrible fluorescent lighting she was luminous. Yes, that’s it…Tara glows.

They stopped in front Tara’s door and she began nervously fishing for her keys.

Deja-vu. Well, of course déjà vu. You really have been here before. And you need to get with the program. Everything has to be the same. So far, you’re not crying, you’re busy checking her out and getting all hot and bothered…oh god, the world is so doomed.

As the blonde fumbled through her bag, Willow noticed the note on the door. She didn’t dare look directly at it, but she could see a large heart and the name Aly written in red felt tip.

Jeez how may girls are after her? Not that they shouldn’t be, but…no they shouldn’t be!

Tara gave her a weak smile as she carefully took the note down and placed it in her bag without even glancing at it.

Okay, enough with the sidetracking, you need to figure out how to get out of here…or get out of now and back to the real now…where Tara can barely look at you.

Willow sighed audibly and the blonde turned to her again, her face full of concern as she opened the door to the room.

"Are you okay?"

"Yep. Peachy," the redhead said without conviction and then walked past Tara into her room. The smell of it was overwhelming. It was everything about Tara, and more. Tea, incense, and flowers. Every smell that signaled comfort and beauty. Just like the blonde.

"Hey," she felt Tara nudge her arm gently. "You’re awfully s-smiley."

Tara sure is touching me a lot. Not, like, big touches, just little things. Did she always do that?

"Yeah?" Willow asked absently and then realized that she was smiling. Far too much. "Oh, I just…I love… you know, your room. It makes me forget…everything."

Okay, the crying…think sad thoughts. Like the way Tara looked at you in the hallway before…

She felt the muscles in her forehead tighten at the thought of the terrible confrontation in the hall. And in Tara’s room.

"Do you want some t-tea?"

"Yes. Please." Willow managed finally and watched as the blonde took off her backpack and began her careful preparations. Well, at least that was right. Tea. Maybe she could get this whole timeline back on track before too much damage was done.

What am I doing? Oh yeah, Oz talk. Lots and lots of Oz talk.

As she lowered herself to sit cross-legged on the floor, her eyes wandered to the blonde’s slender hands as they carefully arranged cups and tea bags. There was something so graceful about the way Tara did the most normal things. Touching each item reverently as if she was grounding them or making a ritual blessing out of everyday tasks and events. Tasks that Willow had always considered distractions from the important things.

What are the important things?
Hello, back in time here! The important thing is getting back and getting this time back on track which means Oz talk. With crying. Alrighty then, get with the talking and the crying…but what do I say?

"D-do you want to talk about it?" Tara asked as she sat on the floor facing willow, placing the cups of tea between them.

It took the redhead a moment to understand Tara’s question.

"Oh, um, yeah…" she trailed off and accepted a steaming cup of tea from Tara’s hands. "Thanks."

There were several moments of strained silence as they both sipped at their too-hot cups. Willow knew she was expected to say something, a lot of something about Oz. A lot of something about Oz. How much do I talk about him anyway?

"Um, Tara, do I talk about Oz a lot…I mean, when I’m with you?"

The question obviously surprised the blonde, but she recovered quickly and looked thoughtful, her head tilting slightly to the left.

She is sooooo cute.
F-word! Remember the f-word you pervert! She’s a cute friend…and Oz thoughts! Oz!

"Um, define a l-lot."

Willow sank into herself in embarrassment, staring down into the cup of pale green. I am so annoying…no wonder she doesn’t like me. Who would like a geeky girl who won’t shut up about her ex-boyfriend?

"I do, don’t I?" she shook her red head angrily. "God, I am such a jerk…I’m sorry, I promise I’ll stop…"

Her angry rant was interrupted by the warm pressure of Tara’s hand on her arm. Raising her head to meet blue eyes she felt the room begin to spin around them.

"It’s okay Willow. Really." Tara smiled and squeezed her arm gently before withdrawing. "Your friends are b-busy and I know you need to…you know…talk a-about it so…"

"No it’s not okay! ‘Cause that’s their job I mean, if you knew how many times I’ve had to listen to ‘it’s so horrible my boyfriend’s a vampire with a soul’ and…" she finally noticed the look of astonished amusement on the blonde’s face. "But, um, that’s another story and that’s not what I want to talk about anyway…friends or the lack thereof or whatever. Because I want it to be different with you. I don’t want to be your friend…" Willow’s breath caught in her throat at her slip. "In that way!" she covered hastily with far too much volume. "That annoying, whiny way of being a friend."

Willow felt utterly defeated as she took another sip of the scalding hot tea. Her overactive mouth was normally a terror for her, but when she got around the blonde she seemed to lose all control over the part of her brain that managed speech. And more importantly the switch that told her when to stop speaking. She sighed heavily and stole a glance at the blonde expecting that look of confused disappointment or derision that she had faced so many times in her life, but the look on Tara’s face was something brand new. Her lips were turned up slightly in a look of soft amusement and there were lines between her eyebrows, as if she was studying the redhead carefully, thoughtfully. As if she were looking for something.

"Okay, s-so what do you want to talk about?" Tara asked, her smile widening and Willow knew without a doubt what she wanted to talk about, what she had been avoiding with the defensive chatter for so many weeks.

Oz! You’re supposed to be talking about Oz.

"You." Willow said simply and watched in growing panic as the blonde closed in on herself, lowering her head to hide behind her hair.

"Oh, um, like w-what?"

"Well, anything 'cause you know thanks to all my Oz whining, I’m realizing I don’t know that much about you."

The blonde bit her lip and clutched at her tea cup with white knuckles. "Um, well, what d-do you w-want to know?"

"Well, okay, I’ve spent hours and hours talking about my ex-boyfriend," Oh my god! Don’t do it!, that little voice screamed at her. "And I don’t know anything about your, you know, love life or whatever." You are so going to hell. Tara’s face turned bright red and Willow’s stomach flipped in response, but she couldn’t seem to stop. "So did you have a boyfriend or a, um, significant other or whatever…in high school?"

The redhead took another sip of tea in a vain attempt to calm herself and waited. Her foot, she noticed was fidgeting wildly so she adjusted her position to sit on the unruly appendage.

"N-no…I didn’t have a b-boyfriend," Tara offered quietly without looking up. Willow waited patiently hoping for more, but there was just silence. The redhead could feel the renegade foot begin to fidget underneath her and cursed at it silently.

Finally, Tara raised her face slowly finally meeting Willow’s eyes in an intense stare.

"I, um, had a g-girlfriend…s-sort of," she said holding green eyes for several heartbeats before looking down.

The redhead took a long deep breath and wiped her palms on her jeans. She felt dizzy, drained. And worse, she felt like she was lying to Tara even though she wasn’t. Technically.

"Oh, what was her name?" she somehow managed to ask without screaming.

"Aly." The blonde offered with a shrug and then took a sip of tea and Willow’s entire body began to shake. The note. The heart in red felt tip. "She’s in your Chem Lab I th-think."

"She’s here?" the redhead squeaked and then struggled to regain her composure. "Is that weird for you?"

The blonde shook her head and rose to refill their tea cups. Willow began furiously cataloging the faces in her Chem Lab, searching for this Aly girl who probably still had designs on shy, perfect, beautiful, defenseless Tara.

"No, w-we’re friends."

"Oh. That’s cool," she replied absently and then checked her watch. She had a sudden urge to run back to their dorm room to check the Freshman Register for this Aly girl before the Scooby meeting.

"You’re not f-freaked…about the gay thing?" the blonde asked carefully as she returned to her seat on the floor facing Willow.

"No." So not freaked about the gay thing. Wish I could tell you how much I’m not freaked about the gay thing ‘cause then you’d know that we both like girls or at least I like one girl and, hey, we’re both girls and…it wouldn’t matter because you don’t like this particular girl anyway. But you liked some girl name Aly who writes in big loopy letters and I can’t even remember her face!

There was another long, awkward silence as the two studied the contents of their cups again. Willow was still struggling with the image of this ex-girlfriend. She could remember every desk and cabinet in the room. But this girl was somehow eluding her.

This is so not important! You need to get to the Scooby meeting and talk to Buffy and Giles. They’ll help you figure this out before you do any more damage.

"Um, it’s almost six thirty. We could order a p-pizza and s-study if you want?" the blonde asked hopefully.

And she wanted to more than anything, but there was the meeting. Not to mention the fact that this was all wrong. She had already done enough damage to this timeline. It was time for research.

"I, um…" but she couldn’t bring herself to say it. To say no. Because she absolutely, positively wanted to stay here with Tara forever.

If she’d let me…

And then she remembered the terrible events that lead her to this place, this wrong time and blushed.

"I-It’s okay Willow…" Tara said shaking her head, her face turning down.

"No. It’s just that I have this Scooby meeting at seven and…I can’t, you know, duty calls," she finished, her face hardening into a frown.

Tara just nodded and Willow realized suddenly that Tara hadn’t touched her since the gay thing came up. And now the blonde was sitting farther away, all of the smile disappearing from her eyes.

I did it again, didn’t I?
Maybe she thinks I’m going to hit on her? Or that I think she’s going to hit on me?

I wish…
But we’re just friends.

The alarm on her watch went off suddenly startling them both. Twenty minutes to get to Giles. But Tara.

Later. You can’t change anything. The important thing is getting back.

"O-Okay. Maybe t-tomorrow?" the blonde managed, but Willow could see the pain written there in hard lines.

Later...

"Definitely…"

Before you do any more damage…

And the world stretched out again, expanding the space between them exponentially with each heartbeat.

Just friends….

"Tomorrow."

But the word was lost as time pooled around her and the world receded.
Again.

to be continued...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 6:40 am 
Wow...

I'm reading and loving both of these stories, and I find it interesting that S4 is getting more and more angsty while S7 is getting all of the lovey goodness:)

With both Willow's going back in time, I wonder if things are going to turn into a jumbled knot. And poor Tara.

Things are great now....really looking up for our girls in many ways, but at the same time I wonder if she will bump into a non-time shifting Willow. Talk about mixed messages!

But I know you will do right by them:)

Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:10 am 
egad! this story just gets more and more bafoozled! poor will, I seriously can't stand this. and she's going to lose her mind if she keeps jumping around every freakin' hour. what's up with that? I'm not actually expecting an answer or anything... I just wonder where this is going, it's impossible to tell. I like this story for sure, but I definitely like the S7 one best (as you could probably tell by the volumey text of my last post... :wink ) still, I am on board for both stories now, gotta see our willster through!

--jenny

WILLOW: I believe those chicken feet are mine!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 10:46 am 
I'd been wondering where Season4 Willow would end up.

Cry already! The future of the planet rests on your shoulders. This seemed so Willow, she did try to think about Oz to preserve the timeline. Mention of Aly seemed to have helped to strengthen her resolve though, poor love.

Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two
Indigo Girls

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:11 pm 
wow, i think i'm getting dizzy reading this, time-machines and jumping from one time to another..gotta more concentrate i guess. Great update as always! :D

snuggle79 :wave

--------------

"I got so lost"

"I found you, i will always find you"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:46 pm 
I'm getting a weeeee bit confused here. There's only ONE Tara around right ?

So unless the Willows are in different parts of Season4 (doesn't look like it judging by the filofax).. that would make Tara a verrrry busy girl :D . Or are we talking about two parallel realities here ? (where's the fun in not-meeting the OtherWillow though :)

Bit confusing this :)

Grimmy

"You hurt Tara," Willow said too calmly. "The last one who tried that was a god. I made her regret it." -- Unexpected Consequences by Lisa of Nine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:15 pm 
Dude this is great! I'm so hooked.

I think the internal monologue from Willow is really great. It opens her character up for us, while not allowing Tara the safety of what we know.

This really is an awesome idea -- and you have written it effectively.

JD

"Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind saying, "maybe..." (Jeff Buckley - The Last Goodbye)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:33 pm 
lipkandy, I look forward to updates on this and S7 the way I look forward to payday. This is just too good. My gf's gonna kill you cause I spend so much time haunting your threads, but I love every minute of this fantasy land you've created.

By the way, it's a small thing, but I like the way you portray the difference between S4's Willow and S7's Willow with something as subtle as who's the catalyst for the spell. S7's Willow knows way too much to accidentally blurt out the words on an unknown artifact, but S4's doesn't.

Did I mention that I love these fics? Cause I do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 7:25 pm 
Absolutely excellent! I love your descriptive style! I can't wait til the next update! It's so intruguing how she's gone back in time and now she's seeing so many new things. Things about Tara she never noticed before. Wonderful!

Caz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:02 pm 
Hey the update was great! I Love how they both want each other soo bad yet hold back every time their near one another. They just need to let go of their feelings and jump in to smoochie action. :grin Which i'm lookin forward to... so thats soon, right? :D

~Ashley~

Willow: We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens. But it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know... insane.

Tara: I said quirky.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next